View Full Version : Dakota Marker at NDSU

ndsubison
04-02-2007, 12:06 PM
Interesting reading.....definately worth more than a nickel :P

http://www.in-forum.com/News/articles/161537

TheBisonator
04-02-2007, 01:29 PM
Adam Palczewski is a good friend of mine!! :D

And I think that with this story, the Dakota Marker is becoming more of an important symbol of NDSU than the nickel ever was. It seems like the Marker is starting to have some kind of folklore established with it. Hell, I've been at NDSU for four years now, and I've never personally seen, or heard people talk about the nickel, but I've seen the Marker, and heard lots of people talk about it. The Rock is much more important to this university now.

AJ
04-02-2007, 08:31 PM
I wonder if that same marker was displayed in south Fargo would the police have just taken it or let it go. At least it is where it is supposed to be now.

insane_ponderer
04-02-2007, 08:53 PM
I was really surprised at how long they held it as well, and all the paper work that Dante and Cheski had to go through.

Seems a bit excessive.

56BISON73
04-02-2007, 09:03 PM

And I think that with this story, the Dakota Marker is becoming more of an important symbol of NDSU than the nickel ever was. It seems like the Marker is starting to have some kind of folklore established with it. Hell, I've been at NDSU for four years now, and I've never personally seen, or heard people talk about the nickel, but I've seen the Marker, and heard lots of people talk about it. The Rock is much more important to this university now.

Bisonator
You are a current student correct? There are about 100 years of rivalry playing for the nickle and the marker has a very short life. When the UND rivalry starts back up the marker will take a back seat. PL

insane_ponderer
04-02-2007, 09:25 PM
Bisonator,

Are you in on the current plans for that Dakota Plaza? I was curious if there are any details besides that the Marker will be the centerpiece. That area of campus has been long overdue for a facelift. I thought it would be cool if the Marker there turned into like a NDSU Blarney stone...students would come kiss it or touch it for luck before tests.

jzillmer
04-03-2007, 12:01 AM

Bisonator
You are a current student correct? There are about 100 years of rivalry playing for the nickle and the marker has a very short life. When the UND rivalry starts back up the marker will take a back seat. PL

I was there during the last few years of the nickel game and for the first few of the marker games. To me, up until this year, the rivalry with SDSU felt very manufactured and I had a hard time getting into it. Now it feels more real and it is a definate rivaly. It's just a different kind of rivalry, not in a good or bad way, it's just different.

By the time the nickel is played for again the rivaly with SDSU will have had a couple more years to grow and gain a little history of its own. By then to some students the marker may be the bigger rivaly, but to us alumni it will always be the nickel. I think this will eventually even out, and we'll end up with two very different, but great rivalrys.

heymch86
04-03-2007, 12:11 AM
I have a feeling the Nickel and Marker will be like Paul Bunyans Axe and the Pig for the Gophers when they play Wisc. and Iowa. Gophers have 2 huge rivalries with both schools and WHEN we start playing UND again, I think the Marker and Nickel will be just as valuable to us

56BISON73
04-03-2007, 12:56 AM
I have a feeling the Nickel and Marker will be like Paul Bunyans Axe and the Pig for the Gophers when they play Wisc. and Iowa. Gophers have 2 huge rivalries with both schools and WHEN we start playing UND again, I think the Marker and Nickel will be just as valuable to us

You very well could be right. PL

TransAmBison
04-03-2007, 12:58 AM

Your 4 years is a very small time frame to base your statements on. Don't get me wrong, I think the rivalry with SDSU is turning into something, and I think it will only continue to grow...but it in no way compares to one of the longest rivalries and the nickel.

99Bison
04-03-2007, 01:08 AM

Your 4 years is a very small time frame to base your statements on. *Don't get me wrong, I think the rivalry with SDSU is turning into something, and I think it will only continue to grow...but it in no way compares to one of the longest rivalries and the nickel.

Did everyone read the same thing here? Everything bisonator wrote was based on opinion or what he's seen (minus the italics if you take it out of context with the rest of what was written)... There's nothing to argue about, he stated his opinion and you will have yours. That's it.

99Bison
04-03-2007, 01:09 AM

You very well could be right. *PL

I think this is very possible too. At least I hope so personally for the good of the region. :)

TheBisonator
04-03-2007, 02:03 AM
Probably none of you in this thread are current students at NDSU, but this is just from what I see among other students at athletic events, and from conversation talk around campus. It is very different now on campus than it was even 5 years ago. Students here don't care about UND anymore. Yes, I'll say it again: Students here don't care about UND. Even nobody gets involved in the NDSU v. UND blood drive every fall. 5 years ago, a student wouldn't pass up the opportunity to try to outdo UND in something. It's just not a big deal anymore. Yet I was in line with thousands of other students last November before the SDSU game waiting to get into the Dome, and we were all jacked up (pardon the pun) about the game, chanting and singing, etc. We were even substituting "Jacks Suck!" instead of the classic "Sioux Suck!" in those songs and chants which you would normally find them in.

And no, I don't know about the Dacotah Plaza, but it seems very interesting, and I'll see if I can get more info on it.

heymch86
04-03-2007, 02:54 AM
I am a student at NDSU, and I totally disagree. People still F***ING hate UND, but since we do not play them anymore, they arent worth talking about. All of my friends hate UND.

56BISON73
04-03-2007, 02:59 AM
Probably none of you in this thread are current students at NDSU, but this is just from what I see among other students at athletic events, and from conversation talk around campus. It is very different now on campus than it was even 5 years ago. Students here don't care about UND anymore. Yes, I'll say it again: Students here don't care about UND. Even nobody gets involved in the NDSU v. UND blood drive every fall. 5 years ago, a student wouldn't pass up the opportunity to try to outdo UND in something. It's just not a big deal anymore. Yet I was in line with thousands of other students last November before the SDSU game waiting to get into the Dome, and we were all jacked up (pardon the pun) about the game, chanting and singing, etc. We were even substituting "Jacks Suck!" instead of the classic "Sioux Suck!" in those songs and chants which you would normally find them in.

And no, I don't know about the Dacotah Plaza, but it seems very interesting, and I'll see if I can get more info on it.

They WILL care when the rivalry is renewed. You can take that to the bank. PL

TransAmBison
04-03-2007, 03:05 AM

They WILL care when the rivalry is renewed. You can take that to the bank. PL

That's a big 10-4 good buddy!

TheBisonator
04-03-2007, 04:24 AM
Frankly, I don't want to see the rivalry renewed. I used to at one point, but I really don't want it to happen anymore.

99Bison
04-03-2007, 04:27 AM
Frankly, I don't want to see the rivalry renewed. I used to at one point, but I really don't want it to happen anymore.

Give it 5-10 more years before I would like to see it... I wouldn't be heart broken if it didn't happen, but eventually it will.

sambini
04-03-2007, 04:35 AM

Give it 5-10 more years before I would like to see it... I wouldn't be heart broken if it didn't happen, but eventually it will.
never say never

WarBison
04-03-2007, 04:43 AM
i think there are plenty of students here at NDSU that don't like und, anyone who has grown up around this area knows of the rivalry so when it starts up again, it will be as if nothing ever changed

tony
04-03-2007, 12:17 PM
i think there are plenty of students here at NDSU that don't like und, anyone who has grown up around this area knows of the rivalry so when it starts up again, it will be as if nothing ever changed

Yeah, for the alumni, NDSU v UND will always be a huge deal. OTOH, there are not many NDSU students who have seen Bison v Sioux in anything. That said, I think the students, with so many of them being from North Dakota, will get right back into the swing of things when UND starts coming to Fargo again. Not sure how the football team will react because by the time NDSU and UND play again, there won't be any of them who have been part of a Bison-Sioux game - heck, right now, none of them have ever played in one.

UND, despite themselves, helped NDSU in a lot of ways - not the least of which was allowing NDSU to establish another rivalry. It might not mean much for a lot of the alumni, but it's pretty obvious that SDSU is a big deal to the student body. Bison v Bunnies might not be a bigger deal than Bison v UND but, in a lot of ways, it is better.

WYOBISONMAN
04-03-2007, 01:47 PM
The atmosphere at the NDSU/SDSU game last year was nothing short of ELECTRIC.

Clearly the wildest home game this old Bison Fan has ever attended......and I have been to many Bison/Sioux games. But, last year's bunny game surpassed them all.

BisonSig
04-03-2007, 05:27 PM

Clearly the wildest home game this old Bison Fan has ever attended......and I have been to many Bison/Sioux games. *But, last year's bunny game surpassed them all.

++++++++++

bisonmike
04-03-2007, 05:33 PM

Clearly the wildest home game this old Bison Fan has ever attended......and I have been to many Bison/Sioux games. *But, last year's bunny game surpassed them all.

I agree. Last years game and atmosphere was unbelievable and fun. If fact I thought last year we had 2 of the most amazing electric atmosphere's that I have ever personally attended as a sports fan (Minnesota and SDSU). UND games were fun but always seemed to have a negative tone to them. The crowds always seemed hostile whereas at the SDSU and U of M games it was more about the fans passion for their own teams instead of the hatred towards the other.

RedRiver
04-03-2007, 05:40 PM

And that game set a record for the largest home attendance ever for a Bison footall game.

BisBison
04-03-2007, 05:53 PM

I agree. *Last years game and atmosphere was unbelievable and fun. *If fact I thought last year we had 2 of the most amazing electric atmosphere's that I have ever personally attended as a sports fan (Minnesota and SDSU). *UND games were fun but always seemed to have a negative tone to them. *The crowds always seemed hostile whereas at the SDSU and U of M games it was more about the fans passion for their own teams instead of the hatred towards the other.

Totally agree on both games. It's part of moving on an up. Isn't it fun being a leader? ;D ;D

Gamehunter
04-04-2007, 01:45 AM

Clearly the wildest home game this old Bison Fan has ever attended......and I have been to many Bison/Sioux games. But, last year's bunny game surpassed them all.

And that game set a record for the largest home attendance ever for a Bison footall game.

And if it wasn't for the Dome Nazi's I would say it would be broken again this fall. However, I talked to several people last fall that couldn't get tickets for the SDSU game because they were told it was sold out. Apparently 19k is about all they will allow. >:(

Bisonguy
04-04-2007, 01:47 AM

And if it wasn't for the Dome Nazi's I would say it would be broken again this fall. *However, I talked to several people last fall that couldn't get tickets for the SDSU game because they were told it was sold out. *Apparently 19k is about all they will allow. * *>:(

They'll let one more person in to set a new record!

NDSUFREAK10
04-04-2007, 01:49 AM
In response to the firetrucks, I really don't care what so ever if it is renewed. I'll be for it if it didn't hurt our playoff chances, but the playoffs come first.$.02

TransAmBison
04-04-2007, 02:12 AM

You actually made it inside the dome to the game???? I thought I saw you passed out in the back of the Battlewagon! ;D ;D ;D ;D

THEsocalledfan
04-04-2007, 02:01 PM
UND games were fun but always seemed to have a negative tone to them. *The crowds always seemed hostile whereas at the SDSU and U of M games it was more about the fans passion for their own teams instead of the hatred towards the other.

I am enjoying a civilized discussion on this topic. It is quite refreshing.

I agree with all who said the the rivalries will be different and both will continue when the Soo finally come to town. I chuckled at the above comment. Why? Because many of us miss the negative tone and the absolute hatred of the Soo. That is what made it fun!

I am sure many out of state students currently don't get it about the Soo. Give them one game with all the crazy alumni, and they will quickly get it again. I love the idea of having two great rivalry games a year. What a great time to be a Bison fan!

WYOBISONMAN
04-04-2007, 02:06 PM

You actually made it inside the dome to the game???? *I thought I saw you passed out in the back of the Battlewagon! ;D ;D ;D ;D

I thought I made it in.......maybe I was just dreaming!!!! ;) ;D ;)

IowaBisonToo
04-04-2007, 02:26 PM
I agree that people will care about a UND game when it happens again. There are to many alumni from both schools that remember what it was like when the games were going on. I remember the year Fumblesasser took NDSU to the house. Talk about devastating. But, I also remember the year when NDSU beat UND in the playoffs a few years back. Talk about redemption!

I will, however, also agree with those that think NDSU can have 2 big rivalry games like the U of M with Wisconsin and Iowa. There are a lot of teams that are like that. Take Iowa for instance. They really get up for Floyd of Rosedale and hate us Minnesotans. However, they also relish the idea of whoopin' a$$ on the Cyclones - at least the opportunity to do so.

BTW, G-City - love the X-ray crystallography photo of DNA avatar. ;) Bet you though nobody would say anything.

extremerouge
04-04-2007, 03:06 PM
BTW, G-City - love the X-ray crystallography photo of DNA avatar. ;) *Bet you though nobody would say anything.

He can thank Rosalind Franklin!

BISON_Thunder
04-04-2007, 03:25 PM
BTW, G-City - love the X-ray crystallography photo of DNA avatar. ;) *Bet you though nobody would say anything.

I thought it was a PET scan image?

56BISON73
04-04-2007, 04:56 PM

I thought it was a PET scan image?

Do I have some fellow X-Ray techs in the crowd??? PL

insane_ponderer
04-04-2007, 06:32 PM

Thanks Iowa, love the props from you and extreme.

and yes it is the famous rosalind franklin dna photo...the reason i put it up was i made up my mind on where i was going to do my Phd, Rosalind Franklin Univ. of Med and Sci in Chicago.

Figured I should represent :)

And also, just to contribute to this conversation, I really would rather not play und ever again in anything, but i am being drawn more and more into the reality that eventually the rivalry will continue, so as much as i dislike the idea about the only thing i can do about it is look forward to whooping them when we play again.

sambini
04-08-2007, 11:36 AM
I also think UNI could turn into a rivalry game?

56BISON73
04-08-2007, 11:50 PM
I also think UNI could turn into a rivalry game?

UNI was a almost a good rivalry when I played. PL

sambini
04-09-2007, 03:50 AM
I remember one time when a UNI player threw a chair into the south stands. And the late Stan Sheriff coach at UNI hated NDSU>

AJ
10-06-2007, 10:30 PM
Is that marker on the dakota plaza yet?