PDA

View Full Version : Next Year (Defense Breakdown)

tolnabison
12-23-2011, 07:33 PM
Return 7 of 11 Starters
Defensive End Returning:
Hagen (Sr)
Jirik (Jr)
Emanuel (Soph, Starter)
Hardie (Soph)
Norman (Fr)
Talmadge (Walk-on Fr)

Lost:
Boyer
Stoczynski

Replaced:
Recruiting McMakin

Defensive Tackle Returning:
Perry (Jr, Starter)
Drevlow (Jr, Starter)
Juckem (Jr)
Luecke (Jr)
LaVoy (Jr)
Horvath (Fr)
Lisenby (Fr)
Schaetz (Walk-on Fr)
Wood (Walk-on Fr)

Lost:
None

Replaced:
Recruiting Thomas

Outside Linebacker Returning:
Jemison (Sr)
Hushka (Jr)
Carter (Jr)
Beck (Soph, Starter)
Littlejohn (Soph)
Scoliere (Fr)
LaVoy (Walk-on Fr)

Lost:
Willson

Middle Linebacker Returning:
Olson (Jr)
Dinwiddie (Soph)

Lost:
Evans

Replaced for all Linebacker spots:
Riopelle, Stumpf
Recruiting Davis, Amachi, Timpf

Cornerback Returning:
Boyd (Sr)
Williams (Jr, Starter)
Shepherd (Jr)
Dudzik (Soph, Starter, my feeling is that he will be our Free Safety next year)
Colvin (Soph)
Champion (Fr)
Smith (Fr)

Lost:
None

Replaced:
Pierre, Would be a Soph. Started for us as a true freshman. Hope he is back.
Recruiting Blair, Webb, others.

Strong Safety Returning:
Gion (Sr)
Ollman (Sr)
Heagle (Jr, Starter)
Van Voorhis (Jr)
Veldman (Fr)

Lost:
None

Replaced:
Liekus, Smith

Free Safety Returning:
Sonnefield (Fr)
Wiest (Walk-on Fr)

Lost:
Eaves
Pike

Replaced:
Liekus, Smith

Kicker/Punter Returning:
Keller (Soph, Kicker)
LeCompte (Fr, Punter)

Lost:
Jastram
Voigtlander

HandoEX
12-23-2011, 07:46 PM
CB: Williams
CB: Dudzick
FS: Veldman
SS: Heagle
OLB: Beck
OLB: Jemison
ILB: Olson
DE: Jirick
DT: Drevlow
NG: Perry
DE: Emmanuel

Boom, done. I'd say we are pretty much set on defense and we'll be amazing next year and really deep at just about every question. Every position but FS brings back players that have played a ton.

onbison09
12-23-2011, 07:47 PM
Kicker worries me

Castor Troy
12-23-2011, 07:49 PM
Looks like we're stacked at DT and a bit thin at DE, I wonder if they move Lisenby over there.

aces1180
12-23-2011, 07:50 PM
CB: Dudzick
FS: Veldman

Boom, done. I'd say we are pretty much set on defense and we'll be amazing next year and really deep at just about every question. Every position but FS brings back players that have played a ton.

People won't like it and will probably disagree, but I have feeling there may be position change involving one of the QBs to FS...

ISXBISON
12-23-2011, 07:51 PM
People won't like it and will probably disagree, but I have feeling there may be position change involving one of the QBs to FS...

I think you're right

HandoEX
12-23-2011, 07:53 PM
Pierre would be a junior, not sophomore. He played as a tF in '09 and a soph last season.

HandoEX
12-23-2011, 07:54 PM
I hope you are right, but I know at least one guy that might go crazy if that happens. Haha

BisonFan02
12-23-2011, 07:55 PM
Its not next year yet! :D

bri-dog
12-23-2011, 07:56 PM

Not sure Stanford is fast enough to play FS... :biggrin:

tolnabison
12-23-2011, 07:56 PM
Its not next year yet! :D
Just figured it would give us something to talk about until the National Title.

BisonFan02
12-23-2011, 07:57 PM

I know...forgot my purple font in error. I like both threads!

bri-dog
12-23-2011, 07:58 PM

You mean something besides the ticket situation? I'm all for that, thanks for posting, B!!

tolnabison
12-23-2011, 08:01 PM
You mean something besides the ticket situation? I'm all for that, thanks for posting, B!!
See ya in Kansas, this time there won't be any corn tassel! And have a good Christmas!

Castor Troy
12-23-2011, 08:02 PM

I was wondering about this, but the guy hasn't played the position for like 3 years. But with that kind of athletic ability you gotta find a way to get him on the field.

Aaron Oden, Mike Gidley, Craig Geron all made a pretty successful transition from QB to elsewhere.

bri-dog
12-23-2011, 08:03 PM
See ya in Kansas!

I'll be waiting by the side of the road. Make sure you stop the bus this time instead of just slowing down...:biggrin:

aces1180
12-23-2011, 08:07 PM
I was wondering about this, but the guy hasn't played the position for like 3 years. But with that kind of athletic ability you gotta find a way to get him on the field.

Aaron Oden, Mike Gidley, Craig Geron all made a pretty successful transition from QB to elsewhere.

I agree...He is one heck of an athlete and I think the case could be made for him to move, especially with the high probability of Brock being the starter for his last two years as a Bison. Esley could easily be a 3-year starter at FS and solidify himself a defensive star. It will be interesting to see what happens. I do have a feeling that he would do whatever the coaches ask of him, as he has the Bison pride.

ndsubison1
12-23-2011, 08:43 PM
DE
Jirik
Hagen

DE
Emmanuel
Hardie

They will have to move somebody over here. Maybe Luecke back? Maybe two, Amazing that before 2011 we were deep here and thin at DT. Next season it looks to be opposite.

DT
Drevlow
Juckem
Horvath
LaVoy

DT
Perry
Luecke
Lisenby

OLB
Jemison
Littlejohn

MLB
Olson
Dinwiddie

OLB
Beck
Carter
Hushka

Decent depth, but not as deep as this past season. Hopefully somebody can solidify behind Beck and Olson.

CB
Williams
Boyd
Champion

CB
Pierre
Shepperd
Colvin

Another spot where we are deep where we were previously thin. Somebody had to move and I wouldnt be surprised if Dudzik is moved back to FS.

SS
Heagle
Ollman
Veldman?

FS
Dudzik
Sonnenfield
Veldman?

FS is a concern. SS is not. Somebody will be moved to FS. Maybe two. Not sure who it will be. Dudzik used to play there. Wouldnt be susprised if he was moved back. Thorton was an all state safety in high school. Maybe Boyd or Shepperd could be put there. Maybe Sonnenfield is good enough to be a back up. We shall find out.

Defense will be salty again. The DL will be tough. We will be deep. As of right now not as deep as we currently are, but that's what recruiting is for and we shall see how the RSFR fit in during spring ball. We should have another solid defense.

BadlandsBison
12-23-2011, 09:31 PM
I wanna see colvin play at cornerback. He was a hard hitter in his HS film

HandoEX
12-23-2011, 09:34 PM
Ming, what about Frank Veldman?

BadlandsBison
12-23-2011, 09:40 PM
Shepperd (spelling?) Has been a nice surprise at CB. Very solid tackler for his size!

ndsubison1
12-23-2011, 09:59 PM
Ming, what about Frank Veldman?

i guess i wasnt sure if he was a FS or SS. he could fit in at FS but not sure if he could start. i still feel a CB will be moved

BisonNeil
12-23-2011, 11:02 PM
So, are we sure Dinwiddie is a MLB? My thought was that Don Carter was moving to the middle. He has much more of a MLB type build and has the size to play there already. Dinwiddie as a long way to go for that.

Shepard played some FS this year and was pretty good. I would see him moving over before Dudzik, assuming of course that a RFr like Sonnenfield or Veldman don't make the cut.

DjKyRo
12-24-2011, 10:01 AM
I'm eager to see the Joe Horvath bandwagon finally get rolling next season. Considering that it's Badlands and I co-piloting, there's still plenty of room aboard. With a signature move known colloquially as "body slam" by means of tackling people, he will likely injure the first three quarterbacks we see in 2012 and will likely average 22 tackles per game in the next three seasons. I cannot accurately predict his senior season because by then he may not be corporeal anymore, having since transcended to some manner of energy/God-like being, to say nothing of his status in the NFL draft.

Anyway, he might be in the mix at DT. We're pretty deep there.

unbison
12-24-2011, 12:27 PM
I really think looking at veldman's high school career if he is putting in work during his redshirt season there is absolutely no reason to think they need to move anyone there............just saying

CAS4127
12-27-2011, 03:41 PM
Somewhat on topic, somewhat off, but can someone post some pics of our defensive alignment pre-snap against GSU. 2-4 pics would be helpful, as I want to check something out. BTW, I need to be able to see the entire defense.

westnodak93bison
12-27-2011, 05:07 PM
Somewhat on topic, somewhat off, but can someone post some pics of our defensive alignment pre-snap against GSU. 2-4 pics would be helpful, as I want to check something out. BTW, I need to be able to see the entire defense.

Should still be on espn3

Bison bison
12-27-2011, 05:08 PM
http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/source/espn3/id/320364/size/condensed/

CAS4127
12-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Thanks. Just as I suspected/thought I was observing. Heagle was playing a lot of FS against GSU. I think it it possible he will play FS next year, as having him there to fill lanes will help us in defending the spread/read option we have had trouble with in the past couple of years. He may have played some FS in other games, but he played a ton of FS in this game. I bet we see him there against SHSU as well.

runtheoption
12-27-2011, 05:54 PM
I agree...He is one heck of an athlete and I think the case could be made for him to move, especially with the high probability of Brock being the starter for his last two years as a Bison. Esley could easily be a 3-year starter at FS and solidify himself a defensive star. It will be interesting to see what happens. I do have a feeling that he would do whatever the coaches ask of him, as he has the Bison pride.

Is Thorton too valueable as the back-up QB to move him over to defense? I agree that he would be successful on the defensive side, but it worries me a bit to move Esley over there, unless the coaches are fully confident in Wentz or Stanford as the #2 QB.

I think that with the way recruiting has been going and with Hazelton at the helm, we will be more than fine with the players we have on the defensive side of the ball. I would only want Thorton to move over there if the coaches plan on using him immediately as a starter, and not waste a year or 1/2 a year on an experiment where he doesn't play much or at all.

bisontwice
12-27-2011, 06:37 PM
I would think Esley would want to move to FS instead of sitting behind Brock until his senior year before playing QB. He was a pretty good FS in high school. Wouldn't be surprised to see Veldman move to offense.

KCHerd
12-28-2011, 02:18 AM
I can't see them moving Esley to defense. If I had to guess, Dudzik and Heagle will be the safeties, and Williams and Shepard at the corners. Williams is by no means a solid tackler and shy's away from contact alot. Shephard is tough enough as the tackling corner which is what Dudzik played this year. The way Dudzik attacks the ball carriers, he is a no brainer to play safety ... but very solid at CB if needed

TateMosersneighbor
12-28-2011, 08:40 PM
Amazing that we are talking about moving our back-up QB over to a VERY GOOD defense for next year. What a luxury at the QB position versus a few years ago, of course this assumes that the coaches are even remotely considering it.

I think Esley stays right where he is...considering the way (physical) that Brock plays and the recent struggles (Mohler, Mertens) at the position, I feel we need Esley there. Brock will be injured at some point in the next two years...it's just when. I love that about him too, love the way he likes to hit...wouldn't want it any other way (Lum, etc.)

If Stanford or Wentz steps up and forces the conversation...only then will the coaches approach Esley is my opinion. You'd rather have a great athlete change positions and struggle a bit versus just lose him to transfer or quitting.

Mr. Burgundy
12-28-2011, 09:03 PM
I can't see them moving Esley to defense. If I had to guess, Dudzik and Heagle will be the safeties, and Williams and Shepard at the corners. Williams is by no means a solid tackler and shy's away from contact alot. Shephard is tough enough as the tackling corner which is what Dudzik played this year. The way Dudzik attacks the ball carriers, he is a no brainer to play safety ... but very solid at CB if needed

Don't forget about ineligible #2 Brendin Pierre. I would guess he starts at Corner again next year. VERY driven young man who is in a challenging major, stayed in Fargo, is very much on track to be eligible and ready to want his spot back. Fastest man on the team according to many people. Was a very good corner as a freshman and didn't even play corner in HS. We have depth. Which is critical. I also know that Dudzik was recruited to play safety, but has done a great job at corner. It will be a great battle and both will play a ton. Sheperd has been great too. I didn't expect much, he has risen at the opportunity.

Strommer10
01-12-2012, 02:47 PM
This is what I have right now:

CB: Pierre
FS: Dudzick

We have depth, so things could change. Especially with the FS position. But I really like this line up. I think we can make a strong run at defending our title.

Kermit
01-12-2012, 03:26 PM
This is what I have right now:

CB: Pierre
FS: Dudzick

We have depth, so things could change. Especially with the FS position. But I really like this line up. I think we can make a strong run at defending our title.

That is a great looking lineup. Remember though that depth was as important this season as the quality of the starters.

WYOBISONMAN
01-12-2012, 03:39 PM
When I look at this, the secondary causes me some worry. We will have to see how things come together. I do have a lot of faith in Scott Hazelton putting another top notch defense on the field!

Strommer10
01-12-2012, 03:50 PM
That is a great looking lineup. Remember though that depth was as important this season as the quality of the starters.
Fact. That is a HUGE part of why this TEAM is the National Champions.

northendzone
01-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Can we sticky these?

Bison Dan
01-12-2012, 04:26 PM
When I look at this, the secondary causes me some worry. We will have to see how things come together. I do have a lot of faith in Scott Hazelton putting another top notch defense on the field!
Really? Only 1 new player and he was a starter 2 years ago.

HandoEX
01-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Really? Only 1 new player and he was a starter 2 years ago.
Agreed. I have more confidence in our returning secondary than any other unit on the entire team! We are super talented and have an embarrassment of riches there.

stevdock
01-12-2012, 04:37 PM

I think this may be the most important guy on the defensive side of the ball that we have to keep to make another run. I'm sure there will be MANY schools talking to him very soon.

coloradobison
01-12-2012, 05:03 PM
I think this may be the most important guy on the defensive side of the ball that we have to keep to make another run. I'm sure there will be MANY schools talking to him very soon.

He said last night with Scottie Miller that his wife's family is from the area, he doesnt know a whole bunch of other coaches. So he may be very content here. He didnt go so far as saying that he wasnt ever leaving but it seems there is a fair chance he could be here awhile.

AEBison1998
01-12-2012, 05:06 PM
I think Littlejohn may compete for a starting spot. Depending on Jemison's hip.

BisonNeil
01-12-2012, 05:22 PM
Shepherd played some FS behind Pike when Eaves was hurt, and he performed well. If Pierre comes back, and with Boyd around, I have a feeling he will be given a shot in spring ball to compete for the starting role in that position to give Sonnenfeld time to gain experience. For some reason I don't see the coaches moving an established CB to that position and creating another hole, albeit they may have Pierre back, I personally think he is a better backup than starter given his size. Colvin may also in that mix at CB if he can get eligible, so I think Shepherd is most likely to make a position change since he has already done it.

On the roster, Veldman is listed as a SS not a FS. Not sure that is carved in granite or anything but I thought I should point that out. Also, with the current paucity of WRs, and the potential fragility of the ones currently on the roster, I have a feeling Veldman could be looked at hard at WR given his 6'4" frame, but just a hunch. If I am a coach and I have one WR who has had three broken collar bones and the other who rarely got on the field because of a hammie and a stress fracture, I'd be looking hard at my roster for guys who have experience at that position.

Finally, I still think the backup MLB will be Carter, and not Dinwiddie. Again, just a hunch.

stevdock
01-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Do incoming freshmen still get to pick the position they want their first year to try and impress the coaches at that position or do the coaches immediately move them to where they think they are best situated at?? I know in the past freshmen got to pick there first year, especially if they were redshirting.

Kermit
01-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Shepherd played some FS behind Pike when Eaves was hurt, and he performed well. If Pierre comes back, and with Boyd around, I have a feeling he will be given a shot in spring ball to compete for the starting role in that position to give Sonnenfeld time to gain experience. For some reason I don't see the coaches moving an established CB to that position and creating another hole, albeit they may have Pierre back, I personally think he is a better backup than starter given his size. Colvin may also in that mix at CB if he can get eligible, so I think Shepherd is most likely to make a position change since he has already done it.

On the roster, Veldman is listed as a SS not a FS. Not sure that is carved in granite or anything but I thought I should point that out. Also, with the current paucity of WRs, and the potential fragility of the ones currently on the roster, I have a feeling Veldman could be looked at hard at WR given his 6'4" frame, but just a hunch. If I am a coach and I have one WR who has had three broken collar bones and the other who rarely got on the field because of a hammie and a stress fracture, I'd be looking hard at my roster for guys who have experience at that position.

Finally, I still think the backup MLB will be Carter, and not Dinwiddie. Again, just a hunch.

I think the coaches will find a way to get the best players on the field. If they think Shepherd/Dudzik will make the defense better than Dudzik/Pierre so be it.

Frank Veldman and Joey Sonnenfeld were both standout receivers in high school. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see one of them at WR if they are needed there more than at safety.

BadlandsBison
01-12-2012, 06:50 PM
Who's gonna move to MLB behind Olson? Maybe Carlton?

HandoEX
01-12-2012, 10:39 PM
Who's gonna move to MLB behind Olson? Maybe Carlton?
No way Littlrjohn moves to the inside. Don Carter has to be the top candidate.

Jay
01-12-2012, 10:57 PM
I've always had the philosophy that your best athletes play defense... if Esley is that athletic... I'm just saying...

BadlandsBison
01-13-2012, 05:29 AM
No way Littlrjohn moves to the inside. Don Carter has to be the top candidate.

Whoops I meant Carter