PDA

View Full Version : SHSU's Flanders

90 BISON
12-23-2011, 04:10 PM
Flanders saved SHSU in the Griz game. He was their playmaker and he has some speed, how do we shut him down? I believe that we have better team speed than the Montana, but their is a reason SHSU is undefeated and in the NC.

I think we send Colten Heagle after him!

aces1180
12-23-2011, 04:11 PM
Shakir Bell was supposed to run for 200 on us with 3 TDs...Look how that turned out.

If we make them one dimensional, which our D is apt to do, we roll.

MNLonghorn10
12-23-2011, 04:13 PM
ah the next "nothing we've ever seen before" player. only one who held this to be true was taiwan jones last year...and he got hurt..

IzzyFlexion
12-23-2011, 04:21 PM
Hmmmm.
Flanders...............Olanders.................
There's your conspiracy theory right there!

spelunker64
12-23-2011, 04:34 PM
Shakir Bell - RB, InSt - 81 yards, 0 touchdowns

Thunder_Struck
12-23-2011, 04:35 PM
I have only seen him play 1 game (Montana). We NEED to contain him on the cut backs.

Strommer10
12-23-2011, 05:20 PM
Watching him against Montana gave me flashbacks of TJ. I'm not scared but it will be tough. I like that we have 3 weeks to prepare for their unique offense.

Bison 4 Life
12-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Watching him against Montana gave me flashbacks of TJ. I'm not scared but it will be tough. I like that we have 3 weeks to prepare for their unique offense.

I genuinely think this defense would have contained Jones. There seems little difference between him and Shakir Bell or Dominique Swope.

NDSU '96
12-23-2011, 05:28 PM
Sam can throw the ball far better than GSU, so I'm more concerned sam will be able to use Flanders for play action where GSU was unable to. Invite Heagle up strong and send someone down the seam. GSU, with limited passing ability, did in once and fumbled near the goal line. I expect sam to pound Flanders to find out if Heagle will come up strong, then find a soft spot in the zone.

Years ago the Bison would do the same thing. If the safety was making plays in the box, drag the TE or release a WR over the top to loosen things up. Now the cover 2 is en vogue its harder to hit a homerun ball on that, but you still have a soft spot in the zone and can make the safety at least think about pass.

I think we still need to take the chance. Keep bringing Heagle up strong. Contain Flanders and roll the backside safety over to prevent the home run. Make them have to beat us with the pass.

Bison"FANatic"
12-23-2011, 05:30 PM
I have only seen him play 1 game (Montana). We NEED to contain him on the cut backs.

This^^^^^

He had numerous plays that started right and he bounced it back left and there was no one home for the Griz and they didn't make the adjustment to it and it cost them. They had no back side contain at all and didn't adjust to it. We will not let that happen. I am concerned about play action with a pass down the seams as this seems to be a way to burn us.

NDSU '96
ah the next "nothing we've ever seen before" player. only one who held this to be true was taiwan jones last year...and he got hurt.....after only 230 yards on 20 carries though.

Strommer10
I genuinely think this defense would have contained Jones. There seems little difference between him and Shakir Bell or Dominique Swope.
I agree with your first statement for the most part. I've seen all 3 backs play this year, and Flanders just looks faster. I can recall one play in the second half where he broke through the LOS and was 10 yards down field before the DB even reacted to make a TD saving ankle tackle. He made everyone else look like they were in slow motion.

GradBison
12-23-2011, 05:33 PM
Sam can throw the ball far better than GSU, so I'm more concerned sam will be able to use Flanders for play action where GSU was unable to. Invite Heagle up strong and send someone down the seam. GSU, with limited passing ability, did in once and fumbled near the goal line. I expect sam to pound Flanders to find out if Heagle will come up strong, then find a soft spot in the zone.

Years ago the Bison would do the same thing. If the safety was making plays in the box, drag the TE or release a WR over the top to loosen things up. Now the cover 2 is en vogue its harder to hit a homerun ball on that, but you still have a soft spot in the zone and can make the safety at least think about pass.

I think we still need to take the chance. Keep bringing Heagle up strong. Contain Flanders and roll the backside safety over to prevent the home run. Make them have to beat us with the pass.

Agree. Montana State held Flanders to under 100 yards and we know how that game ended, it will take more than stopping Flanders to beat SHSU.