PDA

View Full Version : Respect

NDSU92
12-22-2011, 05:39 AM
I'm just curious about what to expect to hear from other fans around the country now that the "you guys haven't done anything relevant in fcs" argument can no longer be used. What kind of respect do we generate for our program after this year at the national fcs level? Do we get lumped with UNI and Eastern Washington or do people think more of us as an App State or Montana? Understanding that we are the Bison and every true Bison fan knows that we cannot be compared to other teams :biggrin:

I realize that there's still the biggest game to play and that will play a large part in people's opinion of NDSU but I wonder what sites like AGS will be saying this about us this offseason (other than how much they hate our posters).

WYOBISONMAN
12-22-2011, 06:16 AM
They will just continue to see us as an arrogant fan base because of a few assholes that continually post on messageboards.

56BISON73
12-22-2011, 06:23 AM
I'm just curious about what to expect to hear from other fans around the country now that the "you guys haven't done anything relevant in fcs" argument can no longer be used. What kind of respect do we generate for our program after this year at the national fcs level? Do we get lumped with UNI and Eastern Washington or do people think more of us as an App State or Montana? Understanding that we are the Bison and every true Bison fan knows that we cannot be compared to other teams :biggrin:

I realize that there's still the biggest game to play and that will play a large part in people's opinion of NDSU but I wonder what sites like AGS will be saying this about us this offseason (other than how much they hate our posters).

I dont see us being lumped in to the App State discussion after only one N/C game appearance. Respect of tradition is earned over time. Not one game. We are still the new kid on the block and we will be looked upon that way untill we prove that we arent a one and done.

IBleedYellow
12-22-2011, 06:30 AM
Respect is earned. Slowly and over time.

Strommer10
12-22-2011, 06:45 AM
We do this, year in and year out for the next couple years, then respect will be earned. On the field, not on the message boards. That is all that matters if you ask me.

jimmyptubas
12-22-2011, 08:03 AM
We do this, year in and year out for the next couple years, then respect will be earned. On the field, not on the message boards. That is all that matters if you ask me.

Right on...your causual FCS fans don't know Montana becuause of message boards. ESPN doesn't pick them to go into the Friday night slot becuase of message boards... they've earned it over several years of great play. EWU did not turn many heads this year and I would hope, should the cards fall right and we win our NC, we could be right back in the hunt for at least 2 more years!

gizmo
12-22-2011, 11:31 AM
NDSU has played at the highest level of FCS from day one. How many years do we have to do this to "earn respect"? So, let the doubters doubt because I don't give a damn about respect. I only care about NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!!!

GO BISON!!!!!

unbison
12-22-2011, 11:43 AM
NDSU has played at the highest level of FCS from day one. How many years do we have to do this to "earn respect"? So, let the doubters doubt because I don't give a damn about respect. I only care about NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!!!

GO BISON!!!!!
it will take more then one national chapionship at this level to be talked about in the same light as montana, gsu, app. st............. and ummm day 1? wasnt the first year actually playoff elgible pretty awful? just being realistic

NorthernBison
12-22-2011, 12:21 PM
it will take more then one national chapionship at this level to be talked about in the same light as montana, gsu, app. st............. and ummm day 1? wasnt the first year actually playoff elgible pretty awful? just being realistic

The first year of eligibility we were 6-5. Awful by our standards. But, that's only part of the story.

It goes farther back than that. From the first year of transition, we played the best we could schedule. TWO FBS games in 2006 AND 2007. Through the transition we had home and homes with established FCS programs. Another key point is we actually WON most of those games against FBS programs. We also were rather dominant against our FCS opponents.

One doesn't have to look too far from Fargo to see the exact opposite approach to transition.

semobison
12-22-2011, 12:45 PM
Respect is earned. Slowly and over time.

Agreed, and on the field! If you want disrespect, go post on a messageboard!

Snowgoose
12-22-2011, 01:09 PM
I too am of the belief we dominated practically from day 1. We were 20-2 over two years in 06 and 07 to FCS and 4 FBS schools. Yes, we had two really down years, but sometimes that happens (3-8 should never happen though).

I will say this about the current FCS division, in my opinioin it is alot like the old Division II in the 80's as you had about 20 maybe 25 schools that have a chance to win the title and other than that it is colleges that are pretty average to below average schools. NDSU should dominate as we have some of the best facilities, are a state college, and have a tradition that helps to support our athletic programs financially. This should sustain us long-term. Also, the MVC is very similar to the old NCC as there are really only two good traditional powers not counting us and the rest are really average programs with little to no football tradition or success. Let's face facts that UNI really is a good not a great FCS program. Sure they have made the playoffs so many times, but who cares they have never won a title. Those kind of numbers basically got Rocky Hager and Bob Babich run out of this town. We expect championships not conference titles. I know Rocky and Bob literally weren't run out of town, but there was so much complaining at the end that if something didn't change they would have been run out of town.

Hammerhead
12-22-2011, 01:19 PM
I think we'll need 2 or 3 championships to be considered one of the "elite" teams. That being said, going back to the first transition year, NDSU has had at least 8 wins 4 out of 8 regular seasons and 10 wins 3 of those years.

onbison09
12-22-2011, 02:23 PM
I too am of the belief we dominated practically from day 1. We were 20-2 over two years in 06 and 07 to FCS and 4 FBS schools. Yes, we had two really down years, but sometimes that happens (3-8 should never happen though).

I will say this about the current FCS division, in my opinioin it is alot like the old Division II in the 80's as you had about 20 maybe 25 schools that have a chance to win the title and other than that it is colleges that are pretty average to below average schools. NDSU should dominate as we have some of the best facilities, are a state college, and have a tradition that helps to support our athletic programs financially. This should sustain us long-term. Also, the MVC is very similar to the old NCC as there are really only two good traditional powers not counting us and the rest are really average programs with little to no football tradition or success. Let's face facts that UNI really is a good not a great FCS program. Sure they have made the playoffs so many times, but who cares they have never won a title. Those kind of numbers basically got Rocky Hager and Bob Babich run out of this town. We expect championships not conference titles. I know Rocky and Bob literally weren't run out of town, but there was so much complaining at the end that if something didn't change they would have been run out of town.

Isn't it like that in every division though? FBS included.

CAS4127
12-22-2011, 02:36 PM
The real question is whether our team and program are respected by other teams, coaches and programs. I don't think there is much question about the answer. Who cares what their fanbased thinks!! If fans diss us, just tell them to ask their players, coaches and administration what they think about NDSU. The response will be silence or some bumbling, stupid comment that demonstrates they are DaveK-like clones.

Do you think Minney, UNI, and all the MVFC teams/coaches/admins respect our team/program??

How about CSU next year? Do you think they do??

Snowgoose
12-22-2011, 02:37 PM
Isn't it like that in every division though? FBS included.

Yes you are correct, but we moved up a division and still are top ten in facilities for football. It wasn't like if we moved up and we needed to make adjustments to our facilities to compete, we were already at the top.

duluthbison
12-22-2011, 02:40 PM
If you have to ask about respect, then we don't have it. This thread reminds me nothing more than a child jumping up and down saying "look at me." Give it time, win several championships, and don't start threads like this, and respect will come from other fans on other message boards.

mnriverbison
12-22-2011, 02:51 PM

GO BISON!!!!!

If all you care about is national championships to earn FCS respect, it would be a good start for us to get 1 before we ask how long it takes to get respect. Don't you think?

mnriverbison
12-22-2011, 02:52 PM
If you have to ask about respect, then we don't have it. This thread reminds me nothing more than a child jumping up and down saying "look at me." Give it time, win several championships, and don't start threads like this, and respect will come from other fans on other message boards.

It's unlikely we read a better post on this topic between now and Jan 7, but I bet we read at least 1000 worse posts.

Tatanka
12-22-2011, 02:53 PM
It's unlikely we read a better post on this topic between now and Jan 7, but I bet we read at least 1000 worse posts.

I'll take the over.

MN_Moose
12-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Do you think Minney, UNI, and all the MVFC teams/coaches/admins respect our team/program??

UNI respects NDSU. The MVFC respects the Bison of NDSU. Minny... eh can't answer for them, I doubt their fans do. I still laugh when Mike Hlas a writer from Cedar Rapids Gazette (Hawkeye home page) said before the Goofs game that Minn had no business playing NDSU like the big ten is too good for FCS teams. No doubt he was correct, but I expect not how he anticipated.

As far as "Do we get lumped with UNI and Eastern Washington"
Nothing wrong with that.
It's better than being lumped in with Missouri State or Idaho State

Bison03
12-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Respect is earned, not given. It is also not earned by the approval of a few people on message boards. I'd say we've earned a lot since becoming DI. 3 10-1 regular seasons, 5 FBS wins, top 10 national rankings for multiple weeks during multiple seasons, and now playing for a national championship in only our 4th year we are eligible. We need one more win to get the ultimate goal and earn the ultimate respect but I think any reasonable person from the outside would look at the NDSU football program as a whole and give them their due respect.

tony
12-22-2011, 03:16 PM
UNI respects NDSU. The MVFC respects the Bison of NDSU. Minny... eh can't answer for them, I doubt their fans do. I still laugh when Mike Hlas a writer from Cedar Rapids Gazette (Hawkeye home page) said before the Goofs game that Minn had no business playing NDSU like the big ten is too good for FCS teams. No doubt he was correct, but I expect not how he anticipated.

As far as "Do we get lumped with UNI and Eastern Washington"
Nothing wrong with that.
It's better than being lumped in with Missouri State or Idaho State

I'm fine with being lumped with UNI... Eastern Washington - big difference because NDSU's fan base trumps their novelty turf.

BTW, Idaho State has a championship trophy in the case! (I was surprised too.)

gizmo
12-23-2011, 01:12 PM
Anybody in FCS that doesn't respect NDSU football is a damn fool and probably envious of our quickly achieved success. In some ways, it makes the "elite" FCS programs look a bit overrated when a lowly D2 school comes in and shakes things up the way NDSU has.