PDA

View Full Version : Tech Question for DVRs

CaBisonFan
12-22-2011, 01:48 AM
Does anyone know how to transfer a DVR recording to a computer? Mine is a Verizon Fios setup.

I've gone through some tutorial websites with no results. I've heard that a Mac is better for this, so when I get home next week I'm going to mess around with an iMac. My iMac has a firewire output (input?) that plugs into my DVR...but after that I'm not sure what to do.

In theory, a DVR is mostly just a hard drive, but I've read that the DVR is run by a linux system...thusly...there's a communication problem.

Another website said that the DVR will show up as a hard drive under 'my computer.' Then, you can simply drag the vid from there to the computer. Then...convert the video to the format that you want to use.

I've been through the video wars...but this one has me stumped.

Help!

4mcruenomore
12-22-2011, 01:55 AM
CA, PM Bri-Dog. He is an expert on this.

HerdBot
12-22-2011, 01:56 AM
Does anyone know how to transfer a DVR recording to a computer? Mine is a Verizon Fios setup.

I've gone through some tutorial websites with no results. I've heard that a Mac is better for this, so when I get home next week I'm going to mess around with an iMac. My iMac has a firewire output (input?) that plugs into my DVR...but after that I'm not sure what to do.

In theory, a DVR is mostly just a hard drive, but I've read that the DVR is run by a linux system...thusly...there's a communication problem.

Another website said that the DVR will show up as a hard drive under 'my computer.' Then, you can simply drag the vid from there to the computer. Then...convert the video to the format that you want to use.

Help!

let me add to your post. I have a DirecTV HD DVR . If anyone knows how to download let me know

4mcruenomore
12-22-2011, 01:59 AM
Bri-Dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BisonFan02
12-22-2011, 02:02 AM
let me add to your post. I have a DirecTV HD DVR . If anyone knows how to download let me know

Same here. I'm going to mess around with it this weekend. I know it can be done with Movie Maker on a Windows PC, but I don't know what that quality would be like.

Comfortably Numb Bison
12-22-2011, 02:10 AM

I work for DirecTV this is not possible, from what research I have done. If there was a work around, I would have already found it, trust me.

Comfortably Numb Bison
12-22-2011, 02:16 AM
Actually, if you have a tv with a video out you can run cables from video out into a vcr or dvd recorder to copy that way. Or run composite cable from dvr to video in on a vcr or dvd recorder.

bri-dog
12-22-2011, 03:30 AM
CA, PM Bri-Dog. He is an expert on this.

Nope, no expert here either. I've got a DVD recorder, but the DVDs are not HD. Still better than a VCR, though.

I actually went to BestBuy today to see if they make a DVD recorder that can record with a better input. The guy told me that DVD recorders are encoded now so that you can't record TV (including TiVo/DVR) on them. You can record from camcorders, DVD-DVD, etc. Not sure if there's a way to do it on the computer.

imabison
12-22-2011, 03:31 AM

Help!

I just sent you a PM CA, pretty much telling you what I have.

Actually my computer is my DVR.

I use a TV All In Wonder Card in my computer. and record it direct from the Direct TV HD receiver. Burning it back to the DVD is then
pretty simple. I use Windows Media Center for recording and burning.

I can burn it in as a Data or Video DVD. It pretty much burns in real time.

BisonCountry
12-22-2011, 04:02 AM
Nope, no expert here either. I've got a DVD recorder, but the DVDs are not HD. Still better than a VCR, though.

I actually went to BestBuy today to see if they make a DVD recorder that can record with a better input. The guy told me that DVD recorders are encoded now so that you can't record TV (including TiVo/DVR) on them. You can record from camcorders, DVD-DVD, etc. Not sure if there's a way to do it on the computer.

No offense to anyone who works at Best Buy, but my opinion of their staffs technical knowledge is limited at best in many cases. Look around on some AV Forums and often you will find recommendations on the best stand alone DVD recorders that work with the current DVR's on the market. As Cofortably Numb said, I've been looking into ways to get around the Directv encoding to get the files to a PC for sometime and haven't found a solution yet.

bri-dog
12-22-2011, 04:06 AM
Yeah, I'm sometimes skeptical about their knowledge too. I'll try to ask someone else or do some more browsing.

I already did design the DVD jacket, though, so I'll make a boatload of these and bring to Frisco. Hopefully someone will figure out how to make a good quality DVD. :biggrin:

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n305/bflaagan/NDSU-GSU2011DVDinsert.jpg

BisonCountry
12-22-2011, 04:12 AM
Awesome!!! Nicely done.

Ferd
12-22-2011, 04:53 AM
I studied this about a year ago and came to the conclusion you cannot download recorded video/audio from a DirectTV DVR since Direct TV encodes everything in a proprietary format. All you can do is record what is being played by the Direct TV to some other device like an "all in Wonder" Video card or VCR. Assuming you use HDMI... Plug the HDMI output from the receiver into the Input in you computer's video card. The recording is actually done in real time since you are recording only what would be sent to the TV.

Be sure you get the right kind of TV Wonder card for receiving from the TV HDMI cable.

Playing video that is stored on the computer through your TV can be as simple as connecting you computer Video out to your TV.

Several programs exist for sharing video on a LAN by some devices. TVersity is one program I have tried but it didn't work well with my DirectTV. MS Media Center will also play on other devices like an xbox but it doesn't work well with my Direct TV.

I use "Directv2PC" to watch video on my computer that is recorded on my DirectTV DVR.

The DirectTV DVR that I have can be connected to my LAN by wire. New ones might work with wireless but speed is better when wired.

HTH...

IndyBison
12-22-2011, 05:02 AM
I worked in the computer department at Best Buy in 1993 when it was in Moorhead. I had used a computer while a student but didn't know the first thing about hard drives, RAM, or video cards. They had this goofy new thing called CompuServe that allowed you to check stock prices through your computer for a fee. I didn't understand why someone would need to do that since it was in the paper every day. Apple also came out with these funk Newton pads but they were a flop.

We had some knowledgeable people in the department. I just wasn't one of them.

Ferd
12-22-2011, 05:04 AM
Web site for TVersity is:

http://tversity.com/

BisonTeacher
12-22-2011, 10:00 AM
Its called an HDMI capture card. see link below. I initially bought one becasue I wanted to watch tv on my pc while working. But little did I know it also allows me to record from my directv. It would have to be real time...ie play the game from your DVR and record on your computer while its playing. I have not actually tried it with the DVR, but I have with my other Directv HD receivers and it worked great. Can't imagine the DVR is any different. You would also need an HDMI cable long enough to get from the receiver to the computer. (got mine on ebay)

here is the link.
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0379747

BisonTeacher
12-22-2011, 10:47 AM
to add to my post above... If you then burn a DVD of that video file you created the most you can get is 720p which is not full HD. If you have a blu ray burner you, you can burn that video you captured to full HD quality. I use programs such as Pinnacle studio to edit and create movies. Nero to burn. I have friends who like Sony movie studio (edit/create) and Roxio (burn) are also options.

Hammerhead
12-22-2011, 02:23 PM
I haven't found any way to digitally copy files from the DirecTV hard drives. I think your best bet is to use some sort of A/V connectors or HDMI into a TV tuner on a PC.

Here's the techie forum at directv.com if you want to poke around there.:
http://forums.directv.com/pe/elementDisplayRedirect.jsp?elementID=10156613

Bison56
12-22-2011, 03:08 PM
This site may be able to answer some of your questions.

www.digitalfaq.com

imabison
12-22-2011, 03:23 PM
I studied this about a year ago and came to the conclusion you cannot download recorded video/audio from a DirectTV DVR since Direct TV encodes everything in a proprietary format. All you can do is record what is being played by the Direct TV to some other device like an "all in Wonder" Video card or VCR. Assuming you use HDMI... Plug the HDMI output from the receiver into the Input in you computer's video card. The recording is actually done in real time since you are recording only what would be sent to the TV.

Be sure you get the right kind of TV Wonder card for receiving from the TV HDMI cable.

Playing video that is stored on the computer through your TV can be as simple as connecting you computer Video out to your TV.

Several programs exist for sharing video on a LAN by some devices. TVersity is one program I have tried but it didn't work well with my DirectTV. MS Media Center will also play on other devices like an xbox but it doesn't work well with my Direct TV.

I use "Directv2PC" to watch video on my computer that is recorded on my DirectTV DVR.

The DirectTV DVR that I have can be connected to my LAN by wire. New ones might work with wireless but speed is better when wired.

HTH...

The HDMI point is a good valid point, my system does not have HDMI so I am connected by cables, however it works as good as it can for me.
There is also an infrared sensor hooked to the Direct TV box which allows me to change the channels etc from the computer.
The main newest issue I discovered is that Big 10 has started copy protecting their broadcast, not all but some so I have the football game, but am not able to burn it to DVD.

BisonNeil
12-22-2011, 04:43 PM

I use a TV All In Wonder Card in my computer. and record it direct from the Direct TV HD receiver. Burning it back to the DVD is then

But, if the broadcast you taped was from ESPN, will their copy right protected view allow you to burn onto a DVD? I would expect not.

BisonTeacher
12-22-2011, 04:49 PM
The HDMI point is a good valid point, my system does not have HDMI so I am connected by cables, however it works as good as it can for me.
There is also an infrared sensor hooked to the Direct TV box which allows me to change the channels etc from the computer.
The main newest issue I discovered is that Big 10 has started copy protecting their broadcast, not all but some so I have the football game, but am not able to burn it to DVD.

As long as you arent copying it and distributing it or uploading it anywhere. If you are just making a copy for yourself, I doubt ESPN or Big10 would send their lawyers after you.

imabison
12-22-2011, 06:07 PM
But, if the broadcast you taped was from ESPN, will their copy right protected view allow you to burn onto a DVD? I would expect not.

Already done, it worked fine just time shortened. Its the Big 10 broadcast of the Gopher game that is blocked this is ESPNUHD

fanbison
12-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Here is my headscratcher? I recorded the GSU game on my Cableone DVR. I was then able to record to a dvd using my dvd player which also records. However, I can now play my dvd on all of my "full size" dvd players....but cannot play the game dvd on the two laptops that I have with dvd players.

Does anyone know why?

BisonTeacher
12-22-2011, 06:19 PM
Here is my headscratcher? I recorded the GSU game on my Cableone DVR. I was then able to record to a dvd using my dvd player which also records. However, I can now play my dvd on all of my "full size" dvd players....but cannot play the game dvd on the two laptops that I have with dvd players.

Does anyone know why?

YOu may need to upgrade the software drivers for the laptops. Are the laptops older than the DVD recorder?

fanbison
12-22-2011, 06:27 PM
No, DVD recorder is older than both laptops.

BisonTeacher
12-22-2011, 06:48 PM
I have DVD recorder too. There is a function on most DVD recorders to "finalize" the disk so it will play on other DVD players. Not sure what your brand is...Mine is a samsung. but somewhere on there you have to find the option to finalize the disk. If that's not it...I don't know what.

YOu say it plays on all your other full size DVD players. Are they all the same brand?

tjamz
12-22-2011, 07:20 PM

I do the same only with a Hauppauge capture card.

BisonTeacher
12-22-2011, 07:26 PM
I do the same only with a Hauppauge capture card.

I have tried the Hauppauge. It is generally considered to be the best on the market. it is more expensive, and has more inputs, but I like the Avermedia software a little better. Seemed easier to use. Both very good though.

imabison
12-22-2011, 08:00 PM
I have tried the Hauppauge. It is generally considered to be the best on the market. it is more expensive, and has more inputs, but I like the Avermedia software a little better. Seemed easier to use. Both very good though.
Reading about the Hauppauge card
Colossus also has an HDMI input port, so you can record HD video at up to 1080i from a un-encrypted HDMI source.
Note: most cable and satellite TV set top boxes encrypt HDMI output, so you cannot record from these sources

If I had this card I would not have been able to record stuff from Big 10 Network at all in HD, but at least now I can record
it just have not found the way to burn it.

BisonTeacher
12-22-2011, 08:12 PM
Reading about the Hauppauge card
Colossus also has an HDMI input port, so you can record HD video at up to 1080i from a un-encrypted HDMI source.
Note: most cable and satellite TV set top boxes encrypt HDMI output, so you cannot record from these sources

If I had this card I would not have been able to record stuff from Big 10 Network at all in HD, but at least now I can record
it just have not found the way to burn it.

Im pretty sure the Avermedia one I suggested has no issues copying from ESPN or BigTen. I will try it later tonight and report back. Also...it depends on what your capture software saves the file in. I usually save in MPeg. Or M2ts for HD. Nero is capable of burning both.

BisonTeacher
12-23-2011, 02:42 PM
Sorry this is late. I test recorded a few minutes of USC vs Oregon Famous Idaho Potato Bowl in HD. No issues.

imabison
12-23-2011, 03:09 PM
Sorry this is late. I test recorded a few minutes of USC vs Oregon Famous Idaho Potato Bowl in HD. No issues.

Thats good info. I was just going by what they published on the website. Also wonder if Big 10 turns on or off the encryption. I had not trouble recording
the NDSU vs Gopher football game, but Windows Media Center pops up a box when trying to burn it stating that it is not allowed. Grrr...

BisonTeacher
12-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Use Nero or Roxio. You wont have those issues. If you do...either turn off WMP in Windows options, ot temporarily uninstall it, then reinstall it when you are done.

imabison
12-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Use Nero or Roxio. You wont have those issues. If you do...either turn off WMP in Windows options, ot temporarily uninstall it, then reinstall it when you are done.

Thank you, this is the information I have been looking for. I will have a nice long weekend to work on it. :) :)

BisonTeacher
12-23-2011, 04:04 PM
No problem. Im guessing a lot of others are reading this thread thinking... NERDS~!!!! But if I wasnt a teacher, Im guessing this is what I would be doing for a living, so thanks for letting me help you. This thread was right up my alley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZEdDMQZaCU

CaBisonFan
12-23-2011, 05:49 PM
No matter what your software needs are...I'd highly suggest visiting cnet.com. You can download a ton of demo software programs to see which one you like the best. Some of the programs are free...most of the others cost 30-40 bucks for the full version.

It's as safe as any website for downloading...and you're not breaking any laws by trying out the demos.

BisonTeacher
12-29-2011, 05:34 PM
Update...I had to rebuild my two main computers yesterday so sorry this took so long. I am currently recording the GSU game on my PC and its working fine. Again I am using an Avermedia HDMI Video Capture card and the captrue software that came with it. AverMedia Center. It also plays back on Windows media player 12 with no issues.

bri-dog
12-29-2011, 05:36 PM
Let me know how the quality is -- I recorded it on my DVD recorder and the quality is nowhere near how I'd like it. The HD to SD looks worse than recordings that were originally in SD.

BisonTeacher
12-29-2011, 05:38 PM
It looked ok when I played the test file. However it is recording the files in .mpg so Im guessing not full HD. For some reason I cant find a setting to change the file output. I may have to do some research on their site.