PDA

View Full Version : "I don't get no respect" - BI.com Column

DjKyRo
12-21-2011, 06:28 PM
http://bisonillustrated.com/s.php?s=773

With nearly 8,000 tickets reserved, that left just over 12,000 to be gobbled up by the opportunists, scattered fans of football, and those fans that weren't lucky enough to get in on that primary list.

And as history as shown when there is a great demand for a coveted resource, the bloodbath began.

tony
12-21-2011, 06:35 PM
How about Swany's column? :) Talk about a prophet.

Kermit
12-21-2011, 06:41 PM

Yep, Swany nailed it (http://bisonillustrated.com/s.php?s=770).

BisonCountry
12-21-2011, 06:43 PM

I remember reading that, but had forgotten about it.....

Nice Work Swany!!!!:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

mnriverbison
12-21-2011, 06:51 PM
Great writing, as usual Kyle.

However, I take issue with your premise that somebody should have seen this coming. The best evidence out there about future attendance for this game is past performance, which as you point out tells us that this game rarely (if ever) sells out. So even if your premise that a larger venue would come at a small additional cost (which you didn't give any figures for), that additional cost has never been justified until about 72 hours ago. Even then this year will probably be seen as an aberration and will be until the FCS title game justifies the expense of a larger venue by consistently filling the one it has.

" Ultimately, shouldn't the blame fall to the NCAA for relegating the Division-I championship game to a venue not nearly adequately sized to hold it?"
Again I ask, how could they have possibly known that the demand for this event would increase by a factor of 2-3 overnight?

And while I love reading Swanny's column, couldn't SHS have the same confidence at this point?

DjKyRo
12-21-2011, 07:10 PM
Great writing, as usual Kyle.

However, I take issue with your premise that somebody should have seen this coming. The best evidence out there about future attendance for this game is past performance, which as you point out tells us that this game rarely (if ever) sells out. So even if your premise that a larger venue would come at a small additional cost (which you didn't give any figures for), that additional cost has never been justified until about 72 hours ago. Even then this year will probably be seen as an aberration and will be until the FCS title game justifies the expense of a larger venue by consistently filling the one it has.

" Ultimately, shouldn't the blame fall to the NCAA for relegating the Division-I championship game to a venue not nearly adequately sized to hold it?"
Again I ask, how could they have possibly known that the demand for this event would increase by a factor of 2-3 overnight?

And while I love reading Swanny's column, couldn't SHS have the same confidence at this point?

That's a very fair stance to take. My perspective on it is that, with the geographic nearness of north Texas to more western schools, perhaps some measure of inrease in attendance from last season could have been anticipated - needless to say, trying to perceive that two years ago would have been difficult, if not outright impossible. Part of the point, which I unfortunately ran out of space for, is that the hype for this game should be seen as an opprtunity by the NCAA to give the FCS championship game its due in the future and move it to a larger venue while keeping it somewhere geographically central.

The attitude I was trying to cultivate was one of "we have here an opportunity" rather than outrightly "who's fault is this?"

mnriverbison
12-21-2011, 07:18 PM
That's a very fair stance to take. My perspective on it is that, with the geographic nearness of north Texas to more western schools, perhaps some measure of inrease in attendance from last season could have been anticipated - needless to say, trying to perceive that two years ago would have been difficult, if not outright impossible. Part of the point, which I unfortunately ran out of space for, is that the hype for this game should be seen as an opprtunity by the NCAA to give the FCS championship game its due in the future and move it to a larger venue while keeping it somewhere geographically central.

The attitude I was trying to cultivate was one of "we have here an opportunity" rather than outrightly "who's fault is this?"

Got it. Well, our opportunity is twofold then. Not only will a great game in front of packed house of enthusiastic supporters help the general interest in FCS, we can also challenge other FCS powers to raise the bar. Believe it or not, the NCAA is not going to count on us being in this game every year. So if we want bigger venues, all of the FCS powers need to bring a large and passionate crew down for this game when they make it.

It would be really interesting to see if newly minted FCS programs benefit from an enthusiasm bump in their first few years of D1 as everything is new and exciting and I wonder if sustained success ever gets to be boring (the Atlanta Braves fan syndrome).

BisonCountry
12-21-2011, 07:37 PM
In all honesty, I think the venue is about the right size for the FCS championship.

Big Improvements that could be made....
1.) The ticket allotment should be made by school request up to 7.5 - 8k. This would allow 5-6k of pre-sales, ticket brokers, etc... to help the venue assure some revenue generation.
2.) Plan for a temporary seating addition to endzone if demand for more seating.

As the saying goes, "You don't build the church for Easter Sunday!"

NorthernBison
12-21-2011, 07:46 PM

If they sell this out, that is about a 50% increase from last year. It also happens to be only the SECOND year at PHP.

Historical attendance including the games in Chatty indicates PHP to be appropriately sized. I'm curious as to what your idea of an appropriately sized venue might be. I'm guessing that there isn't one that exists in the area.

It will be very interesting to see how many empty seats there are on the 7th. Hopefully zero but you never know.

BisonNeil
12-21-2011, 08:03 PM
http://bisonillustrated.com/s.php?s=773

According to this historical website, last years game in Frisco drew just over 13,000.

http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/history-of-the-fcs-playoffs/

DjKyRo
12-21-2011, 08:13 PM
According to this historical website, last years game in Frisco drew just over 13,000.

http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/history-of-the-fcs-playoffs/

Weird, ESPN Statistics reported it as greater than 16k. Thanks for the correction.

JustinTyem
12-21-2011, 08:57 PM
Kyle,you are one of the best writers I have ever read. ThankYou for making a wonderful piece of apple pie and Icecream topping with the game being on ESPN2.

99Bison
12-21-2011, 09:35 PM

Did you miss the part where he wrote it before the last regular season game in November?

ndsubison1
12-21-2011, 10:09 PM
Weird, ESPN Statistics reported it as greater than 16k. Thanks for the correction.

espn says 13,027.

i think PHP is perfect size. Chattanooga's stadium is a little bigger but just because shsu is close to the stadium and ndsu travels well, which means a lot of demand for tickets, doesnt mean it needs to be moved to a bigger venue. it used to be at marshalls stadium which holds 38K. that was when marshall made it there like every year, and it still couldnt sell out. do we really want to move it to a bigger venue when most years there will be plenty of empty seats? Frisco's stadium is perfect imo

SDbison
12-21-2011, 10:16 PM
espn says 13,027.

i think PHP is perfect size. Chattanooga's stadium is a little bigger but just because shsu is close to the stadium and ndsu travels well, which means a lot of demand for tickets, doesnt mean it needs to be moved to a bigger venue. it used to be at marshalls stadium which holds 38K. do we really want to move it to a bigger venue when most years there will be plenty of empty seats? Frisco's stadium is perfect imo
Move it to Las Vegas.

DjKyRo
12-21-2011, 10:44 PM
espn says 13,027.

As I said to BisonNeil, thanks for the correction.

onbison09
12-21-2011, 11:02 PM
This. I never dreamed the game would sell out this fast

KilldeerBison
12-21-2011, 11:45 PM
Hey DJ, Bison Illustrated + Reporter (DJKyRo) = Frisco Press Pass.

CAS4127
12-21-2011, 11:58 PM
Hey DJ, Bison Illustrated + Reporter (DJKyRo) = Frisco Press Pass.

There u go + Spectrum Reporter, right?

U r in Kyle. Go get it!!