PDA

View Full Version : What if the FCS were like FBS...

DePereBisonFan
12-21-2011, 03:00 PM
I'm taking a break from feeling worried about not getting tickets to the game, and I started thinking about what would happen if FCS organized its national title run the way that FBS does. Here's what I could see happening. The names of the bowls are subject to review.

National Title Game: Towson vs. Sam Houston State
Grain Bowl: North Dakota State vs. Montana
Fast Teams Bowl: Georgia Southern vs. Lehigh
Also-Rans Bowl: UNI vs. Montana State
Interesting Bowl: Old Dominion vs. Appalachian State
Kentucky Derby Bowl: New Hampshire vs. Eastern Kentucky
Coffee Mug Bowl: James Madison vs. Wofford
Fairness and Equity Bowl: Maine vs. Tennessee Tech
I Love NY Bowl: Stony Brook vs. Albany
Time Out Bowl: Norfolk State vs. Central Arkansas

A few observations:
(1) There are some very interesting matchups
(2) Many teams could easily be left out of the national title game that would have had a legitimate shot at winning it if there were a playoff system, and fans of these teams would be angry
(3) I love the FCS playoff system

roadwarrior
12-21-2011, 03:03 PM
....we would not have just finished enjoying three of the most fun games ever at the Fargodome.

WYOBISONMAN
12-21-2011, 03:04 PM
I'm taking a break from feeling worried about not getting tickets to the game, and I started thinking about what would happen if FCS organized its national title run the way that FBS does. Here's what I could see happening. The names of the bowls are subject to review.

National Title Game: Towson vs. Sam Houston State
Grain Bowl: North Dakota State vs. Montana
Fast Teams Bowl: Georgia Southern vs. Lehigh
Also-Rans Bowl: UNI vs. Montana State
Interesting Bowl: Old Dominion vs. Appalachian State
Kentucky Derby Bowl: New Hampshire vs. Eastern Kentucky
Coffee Mug Bowl: James Madison vs. Wofford
Fairness and Equity Bowl: Maine vs. Tennessee Tech
I Love NY Bowl: Stony Brook vs. Albany
Time Out Bowl: Norfolk State vs. Central Arkansas

A few observations:
(1) There are some very interesting matchups
(2) Many teams could easily be left out of the national title game that would have had a legitimate shot at winning it if there were a playoff system, and fans of these teams would be angry
(3) I love the FCS playoff system

You forgot this one:

The "I suck and am spanking my monkey Bowl": UND scrimmaging against themselves @ the Hilarious with about 125 people watching, however it would be televised on the FSSN......

http://www.fc-funny-t-shirts.co.uk/images/436-monkey_spank_1008.jpg

Hammerhead
12-21-2011, 04:14 PM
Change "grain bowl" to "cereal bowl" and have it sponsored by Kellogs or Post. :)

missingnumber7
12-21-2011, 04:18 PM
You forgot this one:

The "I suck and am spanking my monkey Bowl": UND scrimmaging against themselves @ the Hilarious with about 125 people watching, however it would be televised on the FSSN......

Your getting generous counting redshirt freshmen, coaches and officials aren't you?

Vitojr130
12-21-2011, 04:21 PM
You forgot this one:

^I just lol'd at work. People are staring haha.

CaBisonFan
12-21-2011, 10:08 PM
Change "grain bowl" to "cereal bowl" and have it sponsored by Kellogs or Post. :)

The FruityLoops Bowl

onbison09
12-21-2011, 10:22 PM
Wouldn't we be in the national title against Sam anyways based on 1 vs 2 but yes we still wouldn't have been able to enjoy this run

Strommer10
12-21-2011, 10:46 PM
It's an interesting thought. Assume:
MVFC= Big10
CAA= SEC
BSC= Pac12
Southern= ACC
Southland= Big12
Patriot= BigEast?

We are looking at the BCS bowls like this:

National Title (by final rankings)- #1 SHSU vs #2 UNI
Rose Bowl- #4 NDSU vs #5 Montana
Sugar Bowl- #8 Towson vs #3 GSU
Orange Bowl- #6 Lehigh vs # 9 App St.
Fiesta Bowl- #7 Mont St. vs #10 ODU

Other notable bowls:
Cotton Bowl: #12 Wofford vs #15 UCA
Capital One Bowl: #13 Maine vs #18 Ill St.
Outback Bowl: #11 UNH vs YSU
Chick-fil-A Bowl: #14 Delaware vs Furman

All this would be pretty cool, but I wouldn't change the playoffs for anything. This format makes team settle for less. The whole "Hey at least we won a bowl game" thing is for lesser programs in my opinion. I don't want NDSU to EVER be that lesser program. NDSU has always been on top or aspiring to be on top. Bowls are nice moral victories for 30 some teams at the end of each season. But I want a chance at winning the title every year. By the "rankings", we wouldn't have been in the title this year... I never want to be put in this situation.

BisonTeacher
12-22-2011, 10:10 AM
The Kraft fight Hunger Bowl. Oh wait...thats a real one. :facepalm:

DePereBisonFan
12-22-2011, 05:01 PM
Wouldn't we be in the national title against Sam anyways based on 1 vs 2 but yes we still wouldn't have been able to enjoy this run

I safely assumed that with the CAA being the SEC of FCS, that Towson would get in over us due to the powers that be.

I am loving the playoff system more than ever.

CAS4127
12-22-2011, 05:21 PM

We were seeded #2 in PO's, but our final poll ranking was #4!!:(

bri-dog
12-22-2011, 05:24 PM
I was thinking that earlier; not sure where we'd have come in had there been a BCS-style system in place in FCS. Hammersmith could probably figure it out, or maybe someone already has...

bisonranch
12-22-2011, 06:12 PM
The only bowl game I'd ever want to see NDSU play in is if the FCS championship game is jacked up and renamed into something cool.

Any ideas for bowl names for the FCS championship?

Maybe:
- our athletes actually go to class bowl
- Sanford Bowl
- Scheels Bowl
- Championship Bowl

tony
12-22-2011, 06:15 PM
The only bowl game I'd ever want to see NDSU play in is if the FCS championship game is jacked up and renamed into something cool.

Any ideas for bowl names for the FCS championship?

Maybe:
- our athletes actually go to class bowl
- Sanford Bowl
- Scheels Bowl
- Championship Bowl

The No BS Bowl.