PDA

View Full Version : Band is going to Frisco!

Vitojr130
12-20-2011, 12:40 AM
By the sounds of things, I heard that the GSMB will be going down to Frisco as well! Awesome!

Comfortably Numb Bison
12-20-2011, 02:10 AM
how do I join the band again??

Gobison88
12-20-2011, 02:30 AM
how do I join the band again??

No doubt..I play a mean clarinet...

jimmyptubas
12-20-2011, 02:34 AM
My name isn't "tubas" for nothing!

bisonhp330
12-20-2011, 02:37 AM
i have my old trumpet here somewhere.....dammit....where is that thing.......FOUND IT!!!!!!!!! now i just need to figure out which trumpet player is about my size........

BlueBisonRock
12-20-2011, 02:37 AM
I heard the size of the band just doubled.

runtheoption
12-20-2011, 04:30 AM
More cowbell? I can do that.

TbonZach
12-20-2011, 04:34 AM
It isn't 100% confirmed, but I'm guessing about 95%.

This is going to be a great way to end my last year in the band.

56BISON73
12-20-2011, 04:38 AM

Even better than band camp?:facepalm2:

TbonZach
12-20-2011, 04:41 AM
Even better than band camp?:facepalm2:

:sigh: I hate that movie so much*.... :facepalm:

*Almost as much as "Drumline"

Strommer10
12-20-2011, 07:26 AM
Having the GSMB would be awesome! Make it feel even more like a home game. Let's make Texas Bison Nation!

Bisonfan1
12-20-2011, 12:13 PM
Having the GSMB would be awesome! Make it feel even more like a home game. Let's make Texas Bison Nation!

Texas WILL be Bison Nation !! Fantastic having the band there.

IzzyFlexion
12-20-2011, 12:33 PM
By the sounds of things, I heard that the GSMB will be going down to Frisco as well! Awesome!

Need a 1st chair skin flute?

mebisonII
12-20-2011, 03:22 PM

What, did you hit the 10-year limit already?

:P

duluthbison
12-20-2011, 05:32 PM
Where the hell did the money come from? Last I heard from my sources is that it was going to cost $100,000 to get the entire GSMB down there with their equipment. Don't get me wrong, I think its great that the band is going, but just curious about the funding. Thats all!

Vitojr130
12-20-2011, 05:34 PM
Where the hell did the money come from? Last I heard from my sources is that it was going to cost $100,000 to get the entire GSMB down there with their equipment. Don't get me wrong, I think its great that the band is going, but just curious about the funding. Thats all!

NDSU has some big time supporters, I know that much. However, I have no idea who is funding their trip.

MNLonghorn10
12-20-2011, 05:35 PM
joe chapman is head of aerial financing at ndsu.

CAS4127
12-20-2011, 06:00 PM
joe chapman is head of aerial financing at ndsu.

If I were a student with no money and wanted to go to the game, I would immediately join the GSMB!! Hey, anyone can pound on drums or blow something . . . . . . .

Vitojr130
12-20-2011, 06:01 PM
If I were a student with no money and wanted to go to the game, I would immediately join the GSMB!! Hey, anyone can pound on drums or blow something . . . . . . .

Haha I believe this game is only open to GSMB members that have been to every playoff game.

CAS4127
12-20-2011, 06:03 PM
Haha I believe this game is only open to GSMB members that have been to every playoff game.

What?! Supposedly NDSU is letting people join teammakers as late as the last few days to get priority points-->I call BS!!

CaBisonFan
12-20-2011, 06:03 PM

They're an essential part of the production...as are the cheerleaders. It's all one big show. The band members work year-round to hone their skills as musicians...and the practices are long & hard. It's not the same as the team...but the work level is right up there. Welcome to Division I & big-time football. Sending the band to bowl games at the expense of the bowl proceeds is normal. Sometimes a donor will designate the funds for the band to appear also. It'll all make us proud to have the full production cast down there. Wouldn't be right to leave them at home.

Vitojr130
12-20-2011, 06:13 PM
They're an essential part of the production...as are the cheerleaders. It's all one big show. The band members work year-round to hone their skills as musicians...and the practices are long & hard. It's not the same as the team...but the work level is right up there. Welcome to Division I & big-time football. Sending the band to bowl games at the expense of the bowl proceeds is normal. Sometimes a donor will designate the funds for the band to appear also. It'll all make us proud to have the full production cast down there. Wouldn't be right to leave them at home.

I don't know about working year round part... that would only apply to the drum majors and Sigurd. During my two years in the GSMB, I certainly didn't work year-round. However, during the 1 semester that we had marching band, band was life. Hours upon hours upon hours for one credit. Then, maybe, you would get a check for payment at the end of the year (Last year I got a check for $450 for about 140 hours of work- I heard that this year they won't be getting paid). They definitely work hard while there is marching band. It's very, very time consuming.

KTF
12-20-2011, 06:23 PM
we never got paid back in 2000. That would have been a great plus...

Vitojr130
12-20-2011, 06:26 PM
we never got paid back in 2000. That would have been a great plus...

Well, I think that they realized that in order to get to the size of band that they would like, they had to draw from non-music majors. It is very, very time consuming and it was definitely a huge incentive to know you will receive a little compensation, especially since it doesn't really progress you towards your degree if you are a non-music major.

KTF
12-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Yep, I was a non-music major and it didn't count towards anything for me. It was more a social thing for me as I was a transfer student to NDSU, I also met my wife through the GSMB as many, many members have.

I really disliked the 5 days of practice for 1.5 hours then the saturday morning practice, then the game(best part of marching). By saturday night, I could barely stand up after lugging that heavy brass Souaphone around. The one credit I earned wasn't really worth it but the social benefits were great.

It is great to see the band at the current size, makes it a lot more fun and loud. My best band story (and embarrassing) was when were doing "On Bison" during pre-game when you first come on the field. There was a sousaphone player a few rows ahead of me after splitting rank from field entry jog (we did side entry at the time not endzone entry). About 3-4 strides after the turn (from going north to come back south), we collided sousa bell to sousa bell, I split my lip and had to play the rest of the game on it. God that hurt. I often wonder if anybody from the stands noticed we collided...

Vitojr130
12-20-2011, 08:25 PM
Yep, I was a non-music major and it didn't count towards anything for me. It was more a social thing for me as I was a transfer student to NDSU, I also met my wife through the GSMB as many, many members have.

I really disliked the 5 days of practice for 1.5 hours then the saturday morning practice, then the game(best part of marching). By saturday night, I could barely stand up after lugging that heavy brass Souaphone around. The one credit I earned wasn't really worth it but the social benefits were great.

It is great to see the band at the current size, makes it a lot more fun and loud. My best band story (and embarrassing) was when were doing "On Bison" during pre-game when you first come on the field. There was a sousaphone player a few rows ahead of me after splitting rank from field entry jog (we did side entry at the time not endzone entry). About 3-4 strides after the turn (from going north to come back south), we collided sousa bell to sousa bell, I split my lip and had to play the rest of the game on it. God that hurt. I often wonder if anybody from the stands noticed we collided...

Yup. I met all my close friends that I have now in the GSMB. First week of college spent at band camp. Definitely was a good way to break college in haha.

CaBisonFan
12-20-2011, 08:51 PM
I don't know about working year round part... that would only apply to the drum majors and Sigurd. During my two years in the GSMB, I certainly didn't work year-round. However, during the 1 semester that we had marching band, band was life. Hours upon hours upon hours for one credit. Then, maybe, you would get a check for payment at the end of the year (Last year I got a check for $450 for about 140 hours of work- I heard that this year they won't be getting paid). They definitely work hard while there is marching band. It's very, very time consuming.

They work on their musicianship, like lifting weights & working out...year round. They play in concert bands as a part of the group activity...which makes them stronger musically. In most universities marching band is considered to be one of the required elements of being a music major. Not sure if NDSU does this.

CaBisonFan
12-20-2011, 08:54 PM
Bottom line is this...if we want a big, powerful marching band at the home games...then treat them as a part of the team. It's just begun. We're beginning to see & hear the results.

If we want the old GSMB back...treat them like they used to be treated...(dirt).

SDSU Band has been to 3 Inaugurations...the Rose Bowl Parade (2 times?)...many Green Bay halftime shows in Green Bay...etc, etc. The results are on the field.

I know a little bit about this. I used to assist with the Pride (SDSU) when I was the high school band director in Brookings.

CAS4127
12-20-2011, 08:58 PM
Bottom line is this...if we want a big, powerful marching band at the home games...then treat them as a part of the team. It's just begun. We're beginning to see & hear the results.

If we want the old GSMB back...treat them like they used to be treated...(dirt).

SDSU Band has been to 3 Inaugurations...the Rose Bowl Parade (2 times?)...many Green Bay halftime shows in Green Bay...etc, etc. The results are on the field.

I know a little bit about this. I used to assist with the Pride (SDSU) when I was the high school band director in Brookings.

I noticed they have been getting consistently better over the last 20-25 years or so!!!:biggrin::hide::rofl:

Bison bison
12-20-2011, 09:00 PM

You're that guy! THat was HILariouS!!!

(jk - no one remembers the embarrassing stuff except the embarrassed and a-holes)

TransAmBison
12-20-2011, 09:17 PM
Way too easy*...I'll let 344 field this one.**

*TWSS

**Hopefully he doesn't drop the ball on this one like the last project he was trusted with.

IndyBison
12-20-2011, 09:27 PM
I help with the NCAA basketball tournaments when they are in Indy and the NCAA is very strict about how many band and cheerleader members are allowed to participate. For the Final Four (and each round IIRC) each team is allowed 30 band members, 12 cheerleaders, 1 mascot and 2 coaches/directors. They have to be on a pass list and show photo ID to get in (they don't enter through standard entrances).

When I was hosting Michigan State in the Final Four last year, they decided to bring 6 cheearleaders and 6 dance team members and the coaches for both. They tried to get both coaches in but they would only allow one. The other had to sit in the stands through the university's allotment. We had made an appearance before heading to the stadium and Sparty was in full costume. They had to see his face to verify his ID and since he can't be seen in public without his head, he had to completely take off the costume before entering.

Does the NCAA have limitations on the band and cheer squads for this event or is it just a matter of how many allotted tickets the school wants to use for them?

gobison.gsb
12-20-2011, 09:56 PM
For basketball, yes. You are limited to 29 (including director) band members, unless you use an amplified instrument (electric bass or keyboard) then you are allowed 16 including director. For football, the cheerleaders have a restriction of 12, at least so far. The band number is unlimited, i think, because we are not actually on the field. SHSU is brining their full ~200, and we are planning on doing the same (~190), counting on funds to get there of course, which Djkyro, to answer money questions is by bus rather then flying.

CaBisonFan
12-20-2011, 10:08 PM
I noticed they have been getting consistently better over the last 20-25 years or so!!!:biggrin::hide::rofl:

Was there from 1989 to 2007 when it jumped to nearly 400 members. I like your humor though...:)

CaBisonFan
12-20-2011, 10:09 PM
Does anyone know what happened at the end of the game when GS was trying to leave the stadium?

BlueBisonRock
12-20-2011, 10:46 PM
Does anyone know what happened at the end of the game when GS was trying to leave the stadium?

GSU players stopped in front of their fans and band and recognized the fans and band. I believe either their alumni or school song was played.

Vitojr130
12-20-2011, 10:56 PM
They work on their musicianship, like lifting weights & working out...year round. They play in concert bands as a part of the group activity...which makes them stronger musically. In most universities marching band is considered to be one of the required elements of being a music major. Not sure if NDSU does this.

Well I certainly didn't work on my musicianship outside of marching band. But yes, NDSU requires marching band for music-majors.

TbonZach
12-20-2011, 11:26 PM

Road - when are you joining? :D

CaBisonFan
12-21-2011, 12:06 AM
GSU players stopped in front of their fans and band and recognized the fans and band. I believe either their alumni or school song was played.

In the corner? Seemed like there was a happening. I saw the players go to the sidelines on the GS side to meet with fans. Maybe it was both places.

daddy daycare
12-21-2011, 12:24 AM
In the corner? Seemed like there was a happening. I saw the players go to the sidelines on the GS side to meet with fans. Maybe it was both places.

Yes they did in the corner and then all players ran to shake hands with fans down the sideline. Very cool.

CAS4127
12-21-2011, 12:30 AM
There was an idiot that ran on the field and was tackled and arrested. Is that what u r referring to CA? I think it was Endzineqb.

CaBisonFan
12-21-2011, 12:31 AM
There was an idiot that ran on the field and was tackled and arrested. Is that what u r referring to CA? I think it was Endzineqb.

...yep...thanks...and thanks for the beer & company the other night...

CaBisonFan
12-21-2011, 12:33 AM
Yes they did in the corner and then all players ran to shake hands with fans down the sideline. Very cool.

I watched them on the sideline for a while. Very disappointed...but very cool. I was impressed with how they handled the whole situation. It's obviously a program with some class...unlike...you know...those guys.

GoNDSUBison
12-21-2011, 12:51 AM
I just have to say the GSMB sounded awesome in the background on espn. I was also at the game and of course they sounded great in person as usual. I haven't heard the Super Mario brothers song in the rotation lately...what happened to that song?!

Bison bison
12-21-2011, 01:48 AM
something about the cartridge fitting in the connectors.

nothing a quick blow and jittering from side to side couldn't cure.

TbonZach
12-21-2011, 11:04 PM
THE GSMB IS OFFICIALLY GOING TO FRISCO!!!!

Per Sigurd Johnson:

Got the green light from President Bresciani this afternoon after some very intense fundraising from the Foundation and a great bit of help from the AD. We're still a bit short - but we anticipate making that up in the next couple of days.

....If you know of people who are interested in donating toward the trip - don't discourage them!! I'd still like to get more help for meal money etc.

BisBison
12-21-2011, 11:08 PM
THE GSMB IS OFFICIALLY GOING TO FRISCO!!!!

Per Sigurd Johnson:

THey still need money. As of 2:30 they were still short $7,000 after my pledge. The NCAA isn't kicking in squat. Thanks to Gene and some band supporters for stepping up on very short notice.

17>1
12-22-2011, 02:55 AM
Can't believe I'm making a post in a band thread. This will be a first for me. Glad the GSMB is going, wouldn't be the same without them there. I also really enjoyed GSU's pep band. Really dug what they played every time it was 3rd down for the Bison.

PS: Basically trying to get to 500 posts before Jan. 7th. I think this can be done given the circumstances. Go Bison!!!

TransAmBison
12-22-2011, 02:56 AM
Can't believe I'm making a post in a band thread. This will be a first for me. Glad the GSMB is going, wouldn't be the same without them there. I also really enjoyed GSU's pep band. Really dug what they played every time it was 3rd down for the Bison.

PS: Basically trying to get to 500 posts before Jan. 7th. I think this can be done given the circumstances. Go Bison!!!Join the demotivational poster thread...easy to go wild there. Even simpletons like AG & CAS sometimes come up with a good one.

17>1
12-22-2011, 03:01 AM
Join the demotivational poster thread...easy to go wild there. Even simpletons like AG & CAS sometimes come up with a good one.

I feel so out of my element in the smack threads. Frankly, I'm just not very good at it. The best I come up with is pointing at a scoreboard for an opponents fan to see after the Bison have just whooped on someone. Scoreboard pointing just doesn't have the same effect on a message board.

TransAmBison
12-22-2011, 03:05 AM
I feel so out of my element in the smack threads. Frankly, I'm just not very good at it. The best I come up with is pointing at a scoreboard for an opponents fan to see after the Bison have just whooped on someone. Scoreboard pointing just doesn't have the same effect on a message board.If dimwitted guys like CAS and AG can do it anybody can. Here's your task for tonight. Find a picture of a redneck with a big truck. Make a funny comment about it. Direct it at 4mcrue. There you go.

CAS4127
12-22-2011, 03:11 AM
I feel so out of my element in the smack threads. Frankly, I'm just not very good at it. The best I come up with is pointing at a scoreboard for an opponents fan to see after the Bison have just whooped on someone. Scoreboard pointing just doesn't have the same effect on a message board.

I see your punctuation is just slightly better than a 4-year old-->no compliment to Tranny implied!!