PDA

View Full Version : Thank you...Lovie Smith?

iamabison
12-18-2011, 02:34 AM
Do we owe Lovie Smith a thank you for where the program is at, headed to a national title game again? If he doesn't get promoted to D-coordinator in St Louis, and doesn't hire Bob Babich away from NDSU, then we don't replace Babich with Coach Bohl, then Bob continues to suck the air out of the program, and then what? So, THANK YOU LOVIE SMITH!!

bisonmike2
12-18-2011, 03:42 AM
We should really thank Dr. Chapman. It was his vision that pushed us to become a division one university in all aspects. Thank you Joe!

The Lost Dutchman
12-18-2011, 04:53 AM
How about we just say thanks to Coach Bohl for sticking with us through thick and thin! He has had the chance to leave like other coaches have and he's done what most colleges fail to do! He's lived up to his word! He didn't just talk the talk, he walked the walk! Cheers to Coach Bohl in being one of the best out there!

Snowgoose
12-18-2011, 05:18 AM
I am extremely thankful Lovie took away babich. I really thought he was a good recruiter but a poor coach.

Now Bohl seems like one of the best delegators ever and you can see why assistants want to Coach for him because they know they will get their chance to coach. He seems like he oversees the whole show and lets his assistants do the details and gives them the credit. I hope we can keep him, but I can't imagine a big time program eventually not grabbing him like Ohio State hired Tressel.

standandyell
12-18-2011, 05:47 AM
I hope he doesnt leave, but imagine he would. May as well win a few NC's while we have him and continue to build on the tradition.

TateMosersneighbor
12-19-2011, 01:06 AM
I think Bohl will retire here.

I think he's done the FBS bullshit and doesn't care for it much. Funny how many wanted him gone 2 years ago...

TheBisonator
12-19-2011, 01:15 AM
Sometimes I worry that a faltering program like Kansas or Illinois would offer Bohl the HC job. Then I realize there's probably other factors working into his decision such as success and cost of living, etc.

Notorious
12-19-2011, 02:19 AM
Sometimes I worry that a faltering program like Kansas or Illinois would offer Bohl the HC job. Then I realize there's probably other factors working into his decision such as success and cost of living, etc.

Very soon, he'll get a 5 year, $10M deal, and be gone. That's how it works, but we'll be fine. He will have left the program in a better place than when he arrived. That's about all you can ask.

CAS4127
12-19-2011, 02:28 AM
Very soon, he'll get a 5 year, $10M deal, and be gone. That's how it works, but we'll be fine. He will have left the program in a better place than when he arrived. That's about all you can ask.

I agree. He will first build here, and then move on to his financial future.

HerdBot
12-19-2011, 02:50 AM
We have one of the best coaches in the country. He does damn near everything at an advanced level. Even after the 3-8 season I stuck by him. He's the perfect Bison coach and he is the epitome of the Midwest values and attitudes . Even in the down years he acknowledged that we could have done things differently , fixed the problems , and came through . And he's improving . We haven't seen his best. He is the best coach NDSU has ever had and that's no disrespect to our other phenomenal coaches . Lets hope we can keep him for a really long time.

HerdBot
12-19-2011, 03:00 AM

and as a good coach does, he's developed his replacements . I would hope if the day ever comes, we do what we did back in the 70s and 80s. Promote from within. We went from Wacker to Morton to Earle to Rocky and didn't miss a beat . and Mudra to Erhardt before them. I think the key is to keep the system in place.

SDSUAlum08
12-19-2011, 05:28 AM

Probably true. Very tough to turn down that type of $$$!!!

WYOBISONMAN
12-19-2011, 08:18 AM
and as a good coach does, he's developed his replacements . I would hope if the day ever comes, we do what we did back in the 70s and 80s. Promote from within. We went from Wacker to Morton to Earle to Rocky and didn't miss a beat . and Mudra to Erhardt before them. I think the key is to keep the system in place.

I think the only reason Earle won at NDSU is because he had Morton's players. Remember that after 2 seasons at NDSU, Earle jumped to Montana State and gave them the darkest days in the history of Bobcat Football. It took the Cats a decade to recover from Earle after they fired him.

NWNDBison
12-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Probably true. Very tough to turn down that type of $$$!!!

I don't know. How has Appy State kept Jerry Moore for 23 years? Maybe I can answer that myself. He was already 65 when Appy won their first national championship. Still, he had won the conference championship before that and must have taken the Moutaineers to the playoffs.

THEsocalledfan
12-19-2011, 12:47 PM

My only comment is that often FCS hires are not "splashy" enough for donors. They want NFL or BCS coaching experience at the head or coordinator level. I give credit to MN for hiring Kill as the donors drug Maturi throught the mud on that, and just you wait, I think they got the right guy there.

KC Bison
12-19-2011, 01:37 PM
So, if the Bison win the NC this year, is this Bohl's game as Bison Head Coach?

NDSU '96
12-19-2011, 02:14 PM
The sum total of this program is bigger than any one individual head coach.

As to the title of this thread, the lack of memory of some people never ceases to amaze me. Remember that 2000 team? Lamar Gordon? Very good. Sure '02 was bad. So was '09. That was a 9-13 two year stretch for the '08 and '09 squads.

bisonmike2
12-19-2011, 02:19 PM
Tressel won 4 titles at Youngstown State before leaving. No guarantee he's gone, no guarantee he's going to stay. Let's just enjoy the ride.

BisonNeil
12-19-2011, 03:13 PM
I don't know. How has Appy State kept Jerry Moore for 23 years? Maybe I can answer that myself. He was already 65 when Appy won their first national championship. Still, he had won the conference championship before that and must have taken the Moutaineers to the playoffs.

Completely different deal. Jerry Moore already had his day in the big time, first at North Texas where he was somewhat successful, then at Texas Tech where he completely washed out as a HC. I think Moore probably has a "been there, done that" attitude so he has stayed put. Craig may have the same kind of attitude having fired by Solich as the DC at Nebraska. Who knows...

Hammerhead
12-19-2011, 07:54 PM
If he keeps getting a cut of the playoff ticket revenue, he won't need to go anywhere for more money. :)

CAS4127
12-19-2011, 08:02 PM
I think the only reason Earle won at NDSU is because he had Morton's players. Remember that after 2 seasons at NDSU, Earle jumped to Montana State and gave them the darkest days in the history of Bobcat Football. It took the Cats a decade to recover from Earle after they fired him.

To be fair, there was not alot there when Earle first got there. I recall that we were trying to schedule a game with them and Earle said he did not think they "were ready for that" at the time, although they had won an NC in 85 with the brother of Casey Bradley as QB.

Whatever, tho, I was a very happy camper when Babich was asked to leave or get his ass fired!! Never could stand the guy. He and Tim Brewster are two-peas out of the same pod in my opinion.

Bison06
12-19-2011, 08:05 PM
The sum total of this program is bigger than any one individual head coach.

As to the title of this thread, the lack of memory of some people never ceases to amaze me. Remember that 2000 team? Lamar Gordon? Very good. Sure '02 was bad. So was '09. That was a 9-13 two year stretch for the '08 and '09 squads.

Exactly. If we don't get screwed by the NCAA and get a home game in 2000, we win a national championship and Coach Babich is a hero. People seem to forget in '02 there were around 10 true freshman playing, how many teams can win games when you are playing that many true freshman.

90BISON
12-19-2011, 08:09 PM
to be fair, there was not alot there when earle first got there. I recall that we were trying to schedule a game with them and earle said he did not think they "were ready for that" at the time, although they had won an nc in 85 with the brother of casey bradley as qb.

Whatever, tho, i was a very happy camper when babich was asked to leave or get his ass fired!! Never could stand the guy. He and tim brewster are two-peas out of the same pod in my opinion.

this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

steelbison
12-19-2011, 11:04 PM
To be fair, there was not alot there when Earle first got there. I recall that we were trying to schedule a game with them and Earle said he did not think they "were ready for that" at the time, although they had won an NC in 85 with the brother of Casey Bradley as QB.

Whatever, tho, I was a very happy camper when Babich was asked to leave or get his ass fired!! Never could stand the guy. He and Tim Brewster are two-peas out of the same pod in my opinion.

Could not agree more. Babich was the worst coach by a wide margin we have ever had.

Bison06
12-19-2011, 11:09 PM
Could not agree more. Babich was the worst coach by a wide margin we have ever had.

Based on what?

Snowgoose
12-19-2011, 11:14 PM
Based on what?

Were you around for those teams. They had talent at times, but would get outcoached every year to teams like UND who had similar and some years worse talent. Now it is hard for me to say worst ever since my Bison football really begins in 1985, but since then he has clearly been the worst ever and it is a landslide.

Bison06
12-19-2011, 11:16 PM
Were you around for those teams. They had talent at times, but would get outcoached every year to teams like UND who had similar and some years worse talent. Now it is hard for me to say worst ever since my Bison football really begins in 1985, but since then he has clearly been the worst ever and it is a landslide.

So he is worse than Rocky Hagar and Craig Bohl? That describes about 99% of coaches.

Snowgoose
12-19-2011, 11:20 PM
I know for a fact he is worse than Dale Lennon. I can't explain what it was but he just didn't do a good job. I remember one year we had 7 guys get invited or drafted to NFL camps and we did not even make the playoffs.

ALLNider
12-19-2011, 11:26 PM

as much as i would love Bohl to stick around but he is lookin for good to all those struggling fbs schools but if he would happen to leave at least he would leave our program buried 12 ft under like brewster did in minnesota

BisonNeil
12-19-2011, 11:31 PM
For what it is worth, my "ranking" of Bison football coaches since 1969.

Excellent/The Best

Ron Erhardt
Don Morton
Rocky Hager
Craig Bohl

Good/Productive

Jim Wacker
Earle Solomonson

To be Endured

Ev Kjelbertson
Bob Babich

Wacker wasn't the best game day coach, for example, he lost a playoff game with Montana State by going for TDs on fourth down and goal to goal when he could have easily gotten four FGs and won the game.

Solomonson was a good coach, had potential to be one of the best perhaps, but I am not sure he recruited as well as his predecessor, but a very good DC.

I actually think Kjelbertson was a very good DC, but I don't think he recruited well. In contrast, I think Babich recruited fairly well, but a terrible game day coach.

steelbison
12-19-2011, 11:54 PM
Based on what?

My own two eyes. I could call the play by formation every time. It was sad really. Not even HS quality offense. The term he couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag fit Babich to a tee.