PDA

View Full Version : Howdy from SHSU!

TexasTerror
03-02-2007, 06:40 PM
Howdy Bison Backers!

Just wanted to come over here and make myself a regular visitor to your forum. For those that don't know me, I'm active on Any Given Saturday and of course, KatFans.com, which is where all of the Kat faithful congregate online.

For the last few weeks, I've been heavily lurking your board and even trying to read Jeff Kolpack and Company at the Forum to learn more about what you fellas are doing about filling your schedule.

We're excited about the matchup that will be forthcoming against NDSU (home and away) and as I've told my Kat brethren, we're getting a top notch opponent comparison to Montana on the football field and comparable to McNeese State faithful as it relates to knowledge of the game. I'm really excited, what can I say?

Anyhow, just wanted to give you folks, a 'Howdy'. We want to invite any and all of you over to our boards over the next two years of Bearkats vs Bison. I know BisonBacker, JBB and Go_Herd have already made their way over.

Have a great one and we'll see you on http://www.KatFans.com and here on the Bison Board.

Take care,

TexasTerror

ndsubison
03-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Welcome! The Bison are also very excited about this game. Can't wait to see Rhett Bomar in the Dome. We love the Southland Conf as your teams don't shy away from doing home & homes with us transitionals. Thank you. Hope to see you around.

GO BISON!!!

TheDoctor
03-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Welcome! *The Bison are also very excited about this game. *Can't wait to see Rhett Bomar in the Dome. *We love the Southland Conf as your teams don't shy away from doing home & homes with us transitionals. *Thank you. *Hope to see you around.

GO BISON!!!

+++++++++++ ;)

sambini
03-02-2007, 08:56 PM
Welcome Texas Terror.+++++++

BisonSig
03-02-2007, 09:29 PM
Welcome TexasTerror,

May your lurking turn into some participation. We may not always agree with you or each other for that matter but we love the talk.

How does your team look for the upcoming year? I will start by saying I really know nothing about them.

TexasTerror
03-02-2007, 10:44 PM
How does your team look for the upcoming year? I will start by saying I really know nothing about them.

SHSU really did not lose too much from last season's 6-5 team that was really one coaching decision (changed our starting QB for McNeese game) from winning the SLC title and going to the Division I playoffs...

Our big loss wat at RB, where we lost DD Terry to graduation and we're all interested in seeing how Eastern Michigan transfer Olufemi Ogundare does in the backfield behind the Kats O-Line. SHSU is known for having a pretty good OL corps. Must be all those big boys in Texas, eh?

Offensively, we have Rhett Bomar who I'm sure you've heard of. Kats also have a potential preseason All-American candidate at TE in Blake Martin, who was just named to Don Hansen's All-South Regional team just recently. We'll see how our WR corps does. We've had a pretty good group of young ones with speed lately, but the Kats made some great 'grabs', most notably Trey Payne, formerly of Baylor. Apparently he is the fastest WR the Kats have seen in recent memory.

Defensively, the Kats lacked a pass rush but addressed that after putting a huge priority on it as it relates to transfers. Topping that list is Texas transfer (five star player out of HS) Chris Brown and a lineman from national champion Jr College, Blinn (down the road from Huntsville), Ryan Glotson. Kats also added the seventh leading tackler in NJCAA in Frank Simon, who played JUCO ball in Oklahoma.

Speed in the secondary with lots of young, promising athletes. Lost some seniors, but the Kats were deep in depth as we run a 4-2-5 which means having loads of guys that play in the secondary is critical. Should not be a problem.

That's some about our team, hope it answers some questions!

BearsCountry
03-03-2007, 12:35 AM
You guys will enjoy Sam Houston St. We had two good games with them.

TexasTerror
03-03-2007, 12:38 AM
You guys will enjoy Sam Houston St. We had two good games with them.

Wish Missouri St would come to Huntsville sometime out of the kindness of their hearts after backing out of the last game and never coming to Huntsville (due to Hurricane Rita).

Regardless, SHSU upgraded the FCS opponent with NDSU, which is going to be a tough game to win, instead of very winnable game against Missouri State. Just wish we didn't have the two Div II teams on our slate (Angelo St and Arkansas-Monticello)...

NDSUFREAK10
03-03-2007, 12:49 AM
Nice that you are finding yourself at home terror! Getting the avatar and sig all ready to go! Hope you continue to stay!

TexasTerror
03-03-2007, 12:57 AM
Nice that you are finding yourself at home terror! Getting the avatar and sig all ready to go! Hope you continue to stay!

You know me, NDSUFreak. I can get very comfortable on other boards...even if it means 'terrorizing' fans of other schools with well orchestrated straight talk and facts! :)

CaBisonFan
03-03-2007, 06:47 AM
Howdy Bison Backers!

Just wanted to come over here and make myself a regular visitor to your forum. For those that don't know me, I'm active on Any Given Saturday and of course, KatFans.com, which is where all of the Kat faithful congregate online.

For the last few weeks, I've been heavily lurking your board and even trying to read Jeff Kolpack and Company at the Forum to learn more about what you fellas are doing about filling your schedule.

We're excited about the matchup that will be forthcoming against NDSU (home and away) and as I've told my Kat brethren, we're getting a top notch opponent comparison to Montana on the football field and comparable to McNeese State faithful as it relates to knowledge of the game. I'm really excited, what can I say?

Anyhow, just wanted to give you folks, a 'Howdy'. We want to invite any and all of you over to our boards over the next two years of Bearkats vs Bison. I know BisonBacker, JBB and Go_Herd have already made their way over.

Have a great one and we'll see you on http://www.KatFans.com and here on the Bison Board.

Take care,

TexasTerror

Welcome...and we look forward to the matchups also. It helps the attitude in NDSU country to get a home/home matchup with a quality program like yours. Thanks.

Mr._Burgundy
03-03-2007, 12:04 PM
What kind of car does Rhett Bomar drive on campus? *Ha. *I hate Oklahoma, so I had to take a shot. *Thanks for joining the board.

Gamehunter
03-03-2007, 06:07 PM
With the excellent texas recruits we have been pulling in the last 3 years (and especially this year) it is always welcoming to see another Texas based Southland team on our schedule. I am hoping to make the trip to Huntsville in '08! The Southland has been a great conference scheduling with NDSU, unlike some other teams in confs that are to chicken to put us on their schedule.

ndsubison
03-03-2007, 06:43 PM
BISON: 42
SHSU: 10

The Kats get a very unwelcome reception in the FargoDome, even though the game is closer than the score. In a post-game interview, Rhett Bomar is quoted as saying "What the Phuck? I mean......well it was like.....I never thought that could happen.......those guys are a lot faster than what we saw on tape and their fans.......their fans.......I don't want to go back there. What the phuck?!?!"

Who loves ya, Baby? :D

TexasTerror
03-03-2007, 06:47 PM
BISON: 42
SHSU: 10

The Kats get a very unwelcome reception in the FargoDome, even though the game is closer than the score. In a post-game interview, Rhett Bomar is quoted as saying "What the Phuck? I mean......well it was like.....I never thought that could happen.......those guys are a lot faster than what we saw on tape and their fans.......their fans.......I don't want to go back there. What the phuck?!?!"

42-10...yikes! I hope not...

Problem is, SHSU plays two Div II teams before heading to Fargo. I'm a bit concerned about this. Would rather a winnable FCS game (see SWAC or Missouri St) before playing NDSU, but we'll see what happens. Kats will be 2-0 heading into the game and hopefully we'll know who some of are 'animals' on the defensive line are by that point...

ndsubison
03-03-2007, 06:56 PM
BISON: *42
SHSU: * *10

The Kats get a very unwelcome reception in the FargoDome, even though the game is closer than the score. *In a post-game interview, Rhett Bomar is quoted as saying "What the Phuck? *I mean......well it was like.....I never thought that could happen.......those guys are a lot faster than what we saw on tape and their fans.......their fans.......I don't want to go back there. *What the phuck?!?!" *

42-10...yikes! I hope not...

Problem is, SHSU plays two Div II teams before heading to Fargo. I'm a bit concerned about this. Would rather a winnable FCS game (see SWAC or Missouri St) before playing NDSU, but we'll see what happens. Kats will be 2-0 heading into the game and hopefully we'll know who some of are 'animals' on the defensive line are by that point...

TX, I hope you know that I'm just trying to have fun with you. *Actually, those first 2 (probable) DII wins might just build up the confidence in your team. *Never know. *What I do know is that they had better be ready to strap it on when they get to the FargoDome because the BISON definately like to make sure everybody knows who's House it is. *Friendly smack aside, we welcome you and are sincerely grateful for you guys helping us out with a home & home. *God bless the SLC! * We begin the 07 slate against Stephen F Austin a week before you guys so pay attention to that score if you want an indicator of NDSU.

TexasTerror
03-03-2007, 09:59 PM
We begin the 07 slate against Stephen F Austin a week before you guys so pay attention to that score if you want an indicator of NDSU.

Man, your going to make me root for SFA against you fellas?!?

As much as I hate anything in purple, especially when it hails from Nacogdoches, it's critical for the SLC to do well OOC especially after last year when we couldn't win too many games, namely because of all the FBS games on our slates in the post-Katrina/Rita year...

NDSUFREAK10
03-04-2007, 03:42 PM

You know me, NDSUFreak. I can get very comfortable on other boards...even if it means 'terrorizing' fans of other schools with well orchestrated straight talk and facts! *:)

;D Oh yes, I don't doubt you there.

BisonMav
03-05-2007, 12:14 PM
The heat and humidity in the Fargodome has worn down the SLC teams in the past. ;)

All kidding aside, Look forward to having the Bearkats on the schedule. :) 8-)

TexasTerror
03-06-2007, 12:35 AM
The heat and humidity in the Fargodome has worn down the SLC teams in the past. ;)

The heat and humidity in Huntsville has worn down teams from the north!

Just ask the Grizzlies of Montana. ;)

So, is the Fargodome really hot and humid? Or is that from all the 'Herd' in the stands? I know there's some coaches who like the mess around with the 'climate' at their venues...

BISON_Thunder
03-06-2007, 12:40 AM

So, is the Fargodome really hot and humid? Or is that from all the 'Herd' in the stands? I know there's some coaches who like the mess around with the 'climate' at their venues...
Not to worry, Terror...players barely break a sweat. Are you planning on coming up for the game?

BisonMav
03-06-2007, 12:46 AM

Bison fans hear about the heat and humidity every time they play down south. Thought I would pull your chain a little. ;)

Bisonguy
03-06-2007, 01:04 AM

If anything, some vistiing teams have found the Fargodome rather dry.

The temperature may vary anywhere from 68-70 degrees.

TexasTerror
03-06-2007, 02:17 AM
Not to worry, Terror...players barely break a sweat. Are you planning on coming up for the game?

Have a wedding in Jan '08 to worry about. The fiancee has me on 'lock down'. I'm hoping to make my annual trip to Huntsville to catch a Kats game and then I'll catch the Kats trip to nearby Southeastern Louisiana...

Would love to make the '08 return game between NDSU and SHSU...

Scooter
03-06-2007, 02:29 AM
Not to worry, Terror...players barely break a sweat. *Are you planning on coming up for the game?

Have a wedding in Jan '08 to worry about. The fiancee has me on 'lock down'. I'm hoping to make my annual trip to Huntsville to catch a Kats game and then I'll catch the Kats trip to nearby Southeastern Louisiana...

Jesus, TexasTerror. Are you whipped!! :D Well, gotta go my wife needs something.... :-[

WYOBISONMAN
03-06-2007, 02:31 AM
Not to worry, Terror...players barely break a sweat. *Are you planning on coming up for the game?

Tailgating at the Fargodome is great.....I bet the Bison fans could even arrage a makeshift bachelor party......with a stop at the Northern Exposure..... ;)

IowaBison
03-06-2007, 02:44 AM

Fargo is the most innocent place on the face of the earth. ;)

TexasTerror
03-06-2007, 02:45 AM
Jesus, TexasTerror. Are you whipped!! :D Well, gotta go my wife needs something.... :-[

It's easier to listen to games than travel out of state for them...

Another problem is I work Sunday through Thursday during most of the year (including the all-important football season). This doesn't help me out much as it relates to traveling to see the Kats. The fiancee is actually really giving as it relates to SHSU. She understands that I will not move a budge (and has allowed me out of things I typically would help with -- she has a program once monthly on Saturday) for all SHSU football games and any basketball games that I deem as major. I've been "giving" though. I've cut out at halftime of a game against a Div II foe that was out of question to help her with that program... :)

Scooter
03-06-2007, 03:01 AM
TexasTerror, we're all in the same boat, my friend, looks like you got yourself a winner. Been with mine 20+. Still, you should take Wyo up on that "Northern" bachelor party.

NDSUFREAK10
03-06-2007, 03:03 AM

Fargo is the most innocent place on the face of the earth. *;)

AND ITS THE CLEANEST! ;D

TexasTerror
03-06-2007, 03:45 PM
NDSU finally shows up on the schedule...

Official from our end now too!

tcbison
03-06-2007, 04:27 PM
NDSU finally shows up on the schedule...

Official from our end now too!

Awesome! I am looking forward to this home game. Now the Bison just need to schedule another home game and the 2007 schedule is set.

TexasTerror
03-06-2007, 06:12 PM
Lots of enthusiasm about the Bearkats this spring with several impact transfers, all the talk in Huntsville about Rhett Bomar and 52 lettermen coming back.

There's quite a few young players that SHSU fans are very interested in getting glimpses at especially as a few continue to develop under our DC Duane Dirk. On defense, this includes our two redshirt freshmen from Longview, TX (DBs Jarvis Pippins and Cartez Beall), the continued development of sophomore LB Luke McCall and the arrival of sophomore transfer DE from Texas, Chris Brown. Also, Kats are hoping to see how that defensive line develops this year with a few highly touted redshirt freshman joining Brown and JUCO transfer Ryan Glotson.

Offensively, all eyes are focused on the young backs behind Bomar which include Eastern Michigan transfer Olufemi Ogundare and redshirt freshman TyMagic Robinson. Can't forget Chris Poullard. Also, with Bomar in the fold behind the solid Kats O-Line, the WRs (Baylor transfer Trey Payne and local product Justin Wells) and the Kats All-American candidate at TE, Blake Martin, are worth keeping tabs on as we all know the Kats love to employ an high-powered offense under OC James Ferguson.

---------------
From Bearkat Athletics...

With 52 lettermen returning including eight starters, Head Coach Todd Whitten and his staff will begin Sam Houston State's 2007 football spring training on Thursday, March 22.

The Bearkats will hold 14 practice sessions climaxing with the annual Orange-White Spring Football Game Saturday, April 21..

Excitement is high after last season's Southland Conference runner-up finish with a 6-5 record.

Returning starters include tight end Blake Martin, offensive linemen Brandon Hale, Hunter Schmidt, Brennan Williams, and Ryan Dretke, quarterback Brett Hicks, defensive lineman Eric Mikolajchak and linebacker Luke McCall.

The Bearkats' spring practice schedule:

Thursday, Mar. 22 - Session #1
Saturday, March 24 - Session #2
Monday, March 26 - Session #3
Wednesday, March 28 - Session #4
Friday, March 30 - Session #5
Saturday, March 31 - Session #6
Monday, April 2 - Session #7
Wednesday, April 4 - Session #8
Monday, April 9 - Session #9
Wednesday, April 11 - Session #10
Friday, April 13 - Session #11
Saturday, April 14 - Session #12
Monday, April 16 - Session #13
Wednesday, April 18 - Session #14
Saturday, April 21 - Spring Game

http://bearkats.shsu.edu/football/spring%20training.html

BisonSig
03-06-2007, 06:51 PM
TexasTerror,

Your enthusiasm is rubbing off. I can not wait for the Bison's spring game. Looks like you guys have a talented team. I am already getting goose bumps when I think about how good the Bison could be this year. A couple key loses but a whole heck of a lot of talent looking to grow into their new roles.

Bring on the Competition.

sambini
03-07-2007, 04:03 AM
Texas Terror thanks for the update and we will see you next fall.

TexasTerror
03-08-2007, 12:07 AM
TexasTerror,

Your enthusiasm is rubbing off. I can not wait for the Bison's spring game. Looks like you guys have a talented team. I am already getting goose bumps when I think about how good the Bison could be this year. A couple key loses but a whole heck of a lot of talent looking to grow into their new roles.

Bring on the Competition.

I hope the enthusiasm is rubbing off! This is a big time for NDSU with you fellas getting into the Gateway and of course, anytime you play the school named after the greatest icon in Texas history, that's got to get the blood flowing some!

bisonhusker
03-08-2007, 12:13 AM
Just to let you know, their QB is silly good. He had some issues and "had" to leave Oklahoma, but he will be the best QB in the dome this year. As a huge fan of the Big 12, he has a ton of talent and should be alot of fun to watch. Quite a QB battle that day. Just another example of the type of athlete we get to see in Divison one athletics.

No_Skill
03-08-2007, 12:36 AM
Ok...I'm ready. When do tickets go on sale? ;)

Gamehunter
03-08-2007, 01:51 AM
Just to let you know, their QB is silly good. He had some issues and "had" to leave Oklahoma, but he will be the best QB in the dome this year. As a huge fan of the Big 12, he has a ton of talent and should be alot of fun to watch. Quite a QB battle that day. Just another example of the type of athlete we get to see in Divison one athletics.

That is quite a statement for a guy who hasn't even thrown a pass for his team. Walker has proven himself one of the best in the FCS and will be a candidate for the Walter Payton again this year.

Point being, if you paid attention to last year, Montana's Swogger or Idaho State's Guetierrez, transfers don't always live up to the hype. Or even remotely close in either of those cases.

TexasTerror
03-09-2007, 02:11 AM
Point being, if you paid attention to last year, Montana's Swogger or Idaho State's Guetierrez, transfers don't always live up to the hype. Or even remotely close in either of those cases.

Agreed...for every Josh McCown (SMU), Chris Chaloupka (Oklahoma St) and Dustin Long (Texas A&M) that set the SHSU record books on fire...there are Noah Allen (Oklahoma/steroids and grades), Luke Huard (North Carolina/never took a snap due to SHSU not accepting credits for UNC 'classes') and Vince Smith (Texas A&M/starter who never amounted to much)...

SHSU has a history of successful QBs, but since 1999, we're hit and miss. We're batting .500 right now. We have Philip Daughtery (Texas Tech transfer) and now Rhett Bomar (Oklahoma) in our QB 'pen...

56BISON73
03-09-2007, 02:20 AM
Point being, if you paid attention to last year, Montana's Swogger or Idaho State's Guetierrez, transfers don't always live up to the hype. *Or even remotely close in either of those cases.

Agreed...for every Josh McCown (SMU), Chris Chaloupka (Oklahoma St) and Dustin Long (Texas A&M) that set the SHSU record books on fire...there are Noah Allen (Oklahoma/steroids and grades), Luke Huard (North Carolina/never took a snap due to SHSU not accepting credits for UNC 'classes') and Vince Smith (Texas A&M/starter who never amounted to much)...

SHSU has a history of successful QBs, but since 1999, we're hit and miss. We're batting .500 right now. We have Philip Daughtery (Texas Tech transfer) and now Rhett Bomar (Oklahoma) in our QB 'pen...

I will be in TX friday of next week for two weeks of bass fishing at Lake Fork. Love it down there. PL :D :D

TexasTerror
03-11-2007, 03:03 AM
I will be in TX friday of next week for two weeks of bass fishing at Lake Fork. Love it down there. PL :D :D

Well, everything is bigger and better in Texas...

When you folks come to Texas, you folks will need to take an opportunity to try some of our BBQ!

56BISON73
03-11-2007, 03:13 AM

Well, everything is bigger and better in Texas...

When you folks come to Texas, you folks will need to take an opportunity to try some of our BBQ!

I have hunted alot down around Sonora. Christoval and Eldorado. One of the first times my wife was with me we were just outside Brownwood and we were really hungry. I saw this Tin covered shack that said BB-Q. I pulled in and my wife says " why and the hell are we stopping here"? I said look the parking lot is FULL. What a place. They had newspaper table cloths. Served tea in mason jars and had great Q. Lemons BB-Q stopped there every year when we hunted out there. PL

Gamehunter
03-11-2007, 06:43 AM
I might pass on the bass, but take in some BOAR hunting if I made the trip. ;D

56BISON73
03-11-2007, 03:58 PM
I might pass on the bass, but take in some BOAR hunting if I made the trip. * ;D

The bass fishing is great but so is the crappie!!!!!!!. We are creatures of opportunity. If one isnt biting we target the other. *:) PL

ps the boar hunt sounds good also

TexasTerror
03-16-2007, 07:16 PM
Spring football begins in less than a week (March 22nd)...

It's starting to get hot here in the south. I was burning up the other day and we're 20 degrees below where we'll be in a matter of weeks!

Lots of questions should be answered in the weeks ahead. We're a bit clueless about how many players will be taking the field for the first time with SHSU this spring...

TexasTerror
03-23-2007, 02:13 AM
Breakdown of Bearkats returning players...

http://bearkats.shsu.edu/football/twodeep.html

TexasTerror
04-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Reports from Spring Scrimmage #1...

http://www.katfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4962

mn_bison_
04-02-2007, 05:02 PM
Reports from Spring Scrimmage #1...

http://www.katfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4962

Thanks for the update. Looks like this may be a real good test for the DB's to cover and the DL to put some pressure on Rhett.

TheDoctor
04-02-2007, 08:17 PM
Joe Mays will end Rhett's NFL career before it gets a chance to start. ::) Similar to Spaeth from Minnesota! ;D

IowaBison
04-02-2007, 09:13 PM
INJURY REPORT

2006: Suffered a Grade-2 right shoulder separation in the second quarter on a 1-yard catch vs. North Dakota State and had to be helped off the field. Was expected to miss the rest of the season, but only sat out the Ohio State game before returning for the final three regular season games. Missed the Insight Bowl to undergo surgery.

Flintstone
04-02-2007, 10:00 PM
I thought it was Humber who hit him, not Mays. I had some pretty thick beer goggles on at the time so I could be wrong ;D

99Bison
04-02-2007, 10:02 PM
I thought it was Humber who hit him, not Mays. I had some pretty thick beer goggles on at the time so I could be wrong ;D

Mays.

Mr._Burgundy
04-03-2007, 12:45 AM
I absolutely LOVE Walker, but Rhett scares the crap out of me. Again, this is the best part of going D1. The opportunity to see a stud QB like Rhett come in and play at the Fargodome. OH, and I am already planning on making his stay a painful one. He will hate to be in front of the best section in the Fargodome. HIGH SNAP???? Yeah, it is giong to be wild. I am standing by my statement, that he will be the best QB to play in the Fargodome this year.

ndsubison
04-03-2007, 12:49 AM
I thought it was Humber who hit him, not Mays. *I had some pretty thick beer goggles on at the time so I could be wrong ;D

I initially thought it was Humber who hit him as well but upon further review: It Was Jo Jo. Mays is indeed a bad mofu. Word.

Flintstone
04-03-2007, 12:53 AM
I absolutely LOVE Walker, but Rhett scares the crap out of me. *Again, this is the best part of going D1. *The opportunity to see a stud QB like Rhett come in and play at the Fargodome. *OH, and I am already planning on making his stay a painful one. *He will hate to be in front of the best section in the Fargodome. *HIGH SNAP???? *Yeah, it is giong to be wild. *I am standing by my statement, that he will be the best QB to play in the Fargodome this year.

I re-ordered my tickets today. Looking forward to another year of "High Snap!!!!"

Bisonguy
04-03-2007, 09:28 PM
I absolutely LOVE Walker, but Rhett scares the crap out of me. *Again, this is the best part of going D1. *The opportunity to see a stud QB like Rhett come in and play at the Fargodome. *OH, and I am already planning on making his stay a painful one. *He will hate to be in front of the best section in the Fargodome. *HIGH SNAP???? *Yeah, it is giong to be wild. *I am standing by my statement, that he will be the best QB to play in the Fargodome this year.
++++++++++

Bring On The Competition!

TexasTerror
04-03-2007, 11:56 PM
From Bearkat Athletics...

April 4 , 2007

Sam Houston State quarterback Rhett Bomar will be interviewed on ESPN's "Outside the Lines" at 2:30 p.m. (Central Time) Wednesday, April 4.

ESPN college football expert Joe Schad and his camera crew were in Huntsville Friday and Saturday interviewing Bearkat players and coaches and filming football spring practice.

http://bearkats.shsu.edu/football/espn.html

TexasTerror
04-07-2007, 12:03 AM
Rhett Bomar video from ESPN's OTL..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP-iz1_rzfE

sambini
04-07-2007, 04:51 AM
Thanks Texas Terror for the link. Nice story on the young man.

ndsubison
04-07-2007, 06:24 AM
Sorry Sam, but NDSU is going to hand you your ass in a BIG way in Fargo. *You have no idea what you're in for. * :o ;) :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

27-7

B I S O N !

sambini
04-07-2007, 10:58 AM
Sorry Sam, but NDSU is going to hand you your ass in a BIG way in Fargo. *You have no idea what you're in for. * :o ;) :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

27-7

B I S O N !
Did you read my previous post? What did I say I was for SHSU IN THAT? Just was remarking on the ESPN story on the young man that transfered from OU.

Mr._Burgundy
04-07-2007, 12:39 PM
That kid is a stud. Good video. That is just one kid getting caught at something that happens at alot of big time schools. I am sure he is not a bad kid. He was/is a great quarterback.....how good is the team around him? B1SON....does he need to meet Joe Mays?????

Scooter
04-07-2007, 03:19 PM
That kid is a stud. *Good video. *That is just one kid getting caught at something that happens at alot of big time schools. *I am sure he is not a bad kid. *He was/is a great quarterback.....how good is the team around him? *B1SON....does he need to meet Joe Mays?????

This is more than a minor violation, to give the "everyone is doing it" defense does an injustice to all those kids who have the character to acknowlege and follow the rules set down. *This kid knew what he was doing was wrong and it sure as hell didn't seem to bother him. * The kid is a talented athlete but, I'm not willing to sign off on this kid's character. *Hell, the kid has his own website, how self absorbed is that?(deleted because it's incorrect)

TheDoctor
04-07-2007, 04:17 PM
That kid is a stud. *Good video. *That is just one kid getting caught at something that happens at alot of big time schools. *I am sure he is not a bad kid. *He was/is a great quarterback.....how good is the team around him? *B1SON....does he need to meet Joe Mays?????

I could line something up, but I think Joe would prefer to meet on the field. He likes the field better, says he leaves a lasting impression on NFL prospects like Rhett. ;)

TexasTerror
04-07-2007, 04:18 PM
This is more than a minor violation, to give the "everyone is doing it" defense does an injustice to all those kids who have the character to acknowlege and follow the rules set down. This kid knew what he was doing was wrong and it sure as hell didn't seem to bother him. The kid is a talented athlete but, I'm not willing to sign off on this kid's character. Hell, the kid has his own website, how self absorbed is that?

That web site that continually gets posted has no affiliation with Rhett Bomar. Just read the web site, it says as much! It's ridiculous that you continually put him in connection with that web site... ::)

Rhett-Bomar.com has at the top of the site, "Disclaimer: This site is not affiliated with, nor endorsed by Sam Houston State, nor Rhett Bomar, nor anyone associated with the Sam Houston State football team"

TexasTerror
04-07-2007, 04:22 PM
That kid is a stud. Good video. That is just one kid getting caught at something that happens at alot of big time schools. I am sure he is not a bad kid. He was/is a great quarterback.....how good is the team around him? B1SON....does he need to meet Joe Mays?????

Bomar is an even better teammate...

Last year, he was the first one on the sidelines to greet the Bearkat QBs (Hicks and Pate) when they came off the field. He was seen at the games he attended (I don't think he made road trips as he was not on the 'travel squad') in the press box with the Off Coordinator or on the field with the QBs and Head Coach (a former SLC signal-caller himself)...

Bomar apparently, when positions were not showing up to voluntary workouts has been calling them out for not showing up. This has not been seen since Dustin Long, who led the Kats to the Div I semifinals in 2004...we have a bonafide leader!

TheDoctor
04-07-2007, 04:33 PM
This is more than a minor violation, to give the "everyone is doing it" defense does an injustice to all those kids who have the character to acknowlege and follow the rules set down. *This kid knew what he was doing was wrong and it sure as hell didn't seem to bother him. * The kid is a talented athlete but, I'm not willing to sign off on this kid's character. *Hell, the kid has his own website, how self absorbed is that?

That web site that continually gets posted has no affiliation with Rhett Bomar. Just read the web site, it says as much! It's ridiculous that you continually put him in connection with that web site... ::)

Rhett-Bomar.com has at the top of the site, "Disclaimer: This site is not affiliated with, nor endorsed by Sam Houston State, nor Rhett Bomar, nor anyone associated with the Sam Houston State *football team"

The owner has a Peterson and dampier websight as well. It is NOT Rhett's websight, you are 100% correct.

Scooter
04-07-2007, 06:54 PM
This is more than a minor violation, to give the "everyone is doing it" defense does an injustice to all those kids who have the character to acknowlege and follow the rules set down. *This kid knew what he was doing was wrong and it sure as hell didn't seem to bother him. * The kid is a talented athlete but, I'm not willing to sign off on this kid's character. Hell, the kid has his own website, how self absorbed is that?

Rhett-Bomar.com has at the top of the site, "Disclaimer: This site is not affiliated with, nor endorsed by Sam Houston State, nor Rhett Bomar, nor anyone associated with the Sam Houston State *football team"

The owner has a Peterson and dampier websight as well. *It is NOT Rhett's websight, you are 100% correct.

O.K. *so he doesn't have his own website. I admit that I am wrong on that one.

*Did the owner of the website also get the money from the car dealership that Rhet didn't work for? *It's ridiculous that that some give this kid a pass on that one. *Because, that's what my original post was all about. *

We have a term for what Rhet did... it's called stealing. *If you know that something is wrong and someone says, " it's O.K., we'll look the other way", guess what.......IT'S STILL WRONG EVEN IF PEOPLE ARE LOOKING THE OTHER WAY. *IT'S WHAT YOU DO WHEN PEOPLE AREN'T LOOKING THAT DEFINES WHO YOU ARE.

Here endeth the morality lesson.... now back to football.

56BISON73
04-07-2007, 08:33 PM
This is more than a minor violation, to give the "everyone is doing it" defense does an injustice to all those kids who have the character to acknowlege and follow the rules set down. *This kid knew what he was doing was wrong and it sure as hell didn't seem to bother him. * The kid is a talented athlete but, I'm not willing to sign off on this kid's character. Hell, the kid has his own website, how self absorbed is that?

The owner has a Peterson and dampier websight as well. *It is NOT Rhett's websight, you are 100% correct.

*Did the owner of the website also get the money from the car dealership that Rhet didn't work for? *It's ridiculous that that some give this kid a pass on that one. *Because, that's what my original post was all about. *

We have a term for what Rhet did... it's called stealing. *If you know that something is wrong and someone says, " it's O.K., we'll look the other way", guess what.......IT'S STILL WRONG EVEN IF PEOPLE ARE LOOKING THE OTHER WAY. *IT'S WHAT YOU DO WHEN PEOPLE AREN'T LOOKING THAT DEFINES WHO YOU ARE.

Scooter
Actually he didnt steal anything. As a matter of fact he didnt break any local municipal, state or federal laws.
He did violate the NCAA rule in regards to compensation for hours worked. Granted he was overly compensated according to the NCAA guidlines.
PL

TheDoctor
04-07-2007, 09:41 PM

Scooter
Actually he didnt steal anything. As a matter of fact he didnt break any local municipal, state or federal laws.
He did violate the NCAA rule in regards to compensation for hours worked. Granted he was overly compensated according to the NCAA guidlines.
PL

Ahmen! Scooter - take some deep breathes my little gopher friend! While what Rhett did was wrong, your making it into something bigger than it was. He STOLE NOTHING! The owner was paying him off. Which is a NCAA violation but NOT against the law or stealing from anyone. Did Rhett pee on your Cheerios this morning or something? Get over Rhett and move on!

TxBisonFan
04-08-2007, 12:33 AM
Saw the story on Sports Center this morning. Bomar seems like he has his head screwed on right. Or maybe he just knows that this is his last shot. The stadium in Huntsville looks like nothing compared to the FFD. Thanks to SHSU for having the onions to put us on their slate.

Texas BBQ kicks serious ass!! ;D ;D

TheDoctor
04-08-2007, 04:46 PM
Saw the story on Sports Center this morning. *Bomar seems like he has his head screwed on right. *Or maybe he just knows that this is his last shot. *The stadium in Huntsville looks like nothing compared to the FFD. *Thanks to SHSU for having the onions to put us on their slate. *

Texas BBQ kicks serious ass!! *;D ;D

He points out how easy it was for him to take the money, but also says he made the decision to take it. Thats responsible.

Scooter
04-08-2007, 08:11 PM
Saw the story on Sports Center this morning. *Bomar seems like he has his head screwed on right. *Or maybe he just knows that this is his last shot. *The stadium in Huntsville looks like nothing compared to the FFD. *Thanks to SHSU for having the onions to put us on their slate. *

He points out how easy it was for him to take the money, but also says he made the decision to take it. Thats responsible.

Give me a flippin' break. *That's not responsible, that's damage control. *There's a reason why Oklahoma couldn't get far enough away from the two kids that were kicked out. *Does the kid deserve to be punished forever? *Obviously, the answer is no. *I just hope that this kid learned his lesson after he had the NCAA's foot removed from his ass. *Good luck to SHSU, I hope that the gamble that you took with your program doesn't come back to haunt you.

Now, really looking forward to the game this fall.

TheDoctor
04-08-2007, 08:56 PM

Give me a flippin' break. *That's not responsible, that's damage control. *There's a reason why Oklahoma couldn't get far enough away from the two kids that were kicked out. *Does the kid deserve to be punished forever? *Obviously, the answer is no. *I just hope that this kid learned his lesson after he had the NCAA's foot removed from his ass. *Good luck to SHSU, I hope that the gamble that you took with your program doesn't come back to haunt you.

Now, really looking forward to the game this fall. *

Took a gamble on him? My god, you sound like he is a drug dealer. He was "referred" by OU to get a job there and the owner started padding his hours and eventually told him I'll give you a check don't bother coming to work. He was 19 years old. I DON'T think Sam Houston has any donors like the one in question let alone would do the same thing. HE MADE A MISTAKE! I don't think it means the kid has no character.

Scooter
04-08-2007, 09:18 PM
B1SON, no one said having character was easy. *There is right and there is wrong. *Character dwindles with each rationalization. *Who said he was the same as a drug dealer? *Your rationalizations are making you stretch. *And, who gives a shit who referred him to the booster. *The choices a person makes in life speak volumes.

So, we have established the fact that I am less willing to put blinders on than others.

Next topic please.

TheDoctor
04-09-2007, 02:44 AM
B1SON, no one said having character was easy. *There is right and there is wrong. *Character dwindles with each rationalization. *Who said he was the same as a drug dealer? *Your rationalizations are making you stretch. *And, who gives a shit who referred him to the booster. *The choices a person makes in life speak volumes. *

So, we have established the fact that I am less willing to put blinders on than others. *

Next topic please.

I believe he and the other kid were the fall guys. Two 19 year old college students were the fall guys. Why do you honestly think he was "pushed" to gain employment there? OU had to know something was up and I am sure other players over the last 20 years have received the same benefits. The blinders you speak of belong to you if you think this was all on Rhett and his character.

So, we have established the fact that I am less willing to put on bliders than you.

Next topic please. ;)

Scooter
04-09-2007, 03:06 AM
Now who is making the unsubstanciated accusations? You had better have pretty hard proof to make that accusation. I thought you guys said that this kid stated that he made the decision to take the money. It goes without saying that this Oklahoma booster is a piece of work, it still doesn't take away these two players' ultimate responsibility for their choices in life. I'm sure that each kid got a list of the rules and rule number 1-5 read something like....

1. Don't take money from boosters
2. Don't take gifts from boosters
3. Don't accept special favors from boosters
4. Don't take money from boosters
5. Did I mention don't take money from boosters?

"Just Say No." - Nancy Reagan ;)

TheDoctor
04-09-2007, 05:30 AM
Now who is making the unsubstanciated accusations? *You had better have pretty hard proof to make that accusation. *I thought you guys said that this kid stated that he made the decision to take the money. *It goes without saying that this Oklahoma booster is a piece of work, it still doesn't take away these two players' ultimate responsibility for their choices in life. *I'm sure that each kid got a list of the rules and rule number 1-5 read something like....

1. *Don't take money from boosters
2. *Don't take gifts from boosters
3. *Don't accept special favors from boosters
4. *Don't take money from boosters
5. *Did I mention don't take money from boosters?

"Just Say No." - Nancy Reagan * ;)

These two guys got caught and now their getting run down the river in order to protect those who didn't get caught. Do you think Minnesota is the only major school where kids have had papers written for them? In that situaion Archambolt from Fort Yates was mad that he was kicked off the basketball team for being late all the time and missing team buses so he blew the whistle on the program. Of course Clem took the fall and everyone acted like Clem was the ONLY coach on the face of the earth that would allow something like this, so that noone started snooping around at any other schools. Anyway, I am digressing. My final point is that I don't do the whole shock factor on this deal because I know a lot more are doing it as well, their just not getting caught. It's very easy to do and very difficult for a 19 year old to turn down. Is it wrong? Yes. Would I do it? No. I just think it snowballed out of control on him and their was no going back after he let the first couple of extra hours on his paycheck. Bottom line is I don't look at it as he did it once, he will always do it. He is young and he made a mistake. He's accepted it, PUT IT IN HIS PAST, and moved on. I shal now too. ;)

TexasTerror
04-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Good luck to SHSU, I hope that the gamble that you took with your program doesn't come back to haunt you.

SHSU has gambled before with transfers with great success at times (Josh McCown from SMU, Jason Mathenia from Vandy, Dustin Long from A&M among others) and had a huge lack of success at others (Vince Smith from A&M, Noah Allen from Oklahoma and two kids from North Carolina which included Luke Huard that never took a snap due to UNC's low academic standards not meeting SHSU's)...

BISON_Thunder
04-09-2007, 06:12 PM
Good luck to SHSU, I hope that the gamble that you took with your program doesn't come back to haunt you.

SHSU has gambled before with transfers with great success at times (Josh McCown from SMU, Jason Mathenia from Vandy, Dustin Long from A&M among others) and had a huge lack of success at others (Vince Smith from A&M, Noah Allen from Oklahoma and two kids from North Carolina which included Luke Huard that never took a snap due to UNC's low academic standards not meeting SHSU's)...

I am really looking forward to watching this kid play in the FargoDome. He may be the most talented QB to ever play here...along with the guy from Cal Davis several years ago. Should be another reason for a sold out FargoDome!

Bisongold
04-09-2007, 06:41 PM
My money will still be on Walker et al!!

99Bison
04-09-2007, 08:34 PM

I am really looking forward to watching this kid play in the FargoDome. He may be the most talented QB to ever play here...along with the guy from Cal Davis several years ago. Should be another reason for a sold out FargoDome!

Comments like this are annoying to me. How much has this kid played college FB? What basis do they come from other than being recruited at a top d1 School? How many times have you seen this person play. I understand there is a "May" in there, however it feels like the weak part of this and many previous statements.

I don't mean this to disrespect posters nor the kid. However, when things are posted like this it could easily be considered disrespectful to any other college football QB that has played in the Fargodome... Like Walker, what else do you want him to do for goodness sakes?

Bison_Dan
04-09-2007, 08:38 PM
My money will still be on Walker et al!!

We played against some very good qb's last year. I remember that the MN qb sliced through some pretty good Big Ten teams and he didn't do squat against us. If your under pressure and don't have anyone to throw to it makes it kind of hard. ;D

BISON_Thunder
04-09-2007, 09:02 PM

I am really looking forward to watching this kid play in the FargoDome. *He may be the most talented QB to ever play here...along with the guy from Cal Davis several years ago. *Should be another reason for a sold out FargoDome!

Comments like this are annoying to me. How much has this kid played college FB? What basis do they come from other than being recruited at a top d1 School? How many times have you seen this person play. I understand there is a "May" in there, however it feels like the weak part of this and many previous statements.

I don't mean this to disrespect posters nor the kid. However, when things are posted like this it could easily be considered disrespectful to any other college football QB that has played in the Fargodome... Like Walker, what else do you want him to do for goodness sakes?

Did not mean to annoy you 99Bison...remember, we are on the same team. Seems you answered your own question when you asked, "What basis do they come from other than being recruited at a top d1 School?" How many kids with this much potential do we have the opportunity to see here in Fargo? Admittedly, I have not seen him play other than film...similar to 99% of all the athletes who end up playing in Fargo. This certainly is no disrespect to Walker. I hope the game proves Walker is at least as good as Bomar. Perhaps I should rephrase my comment to, "He may be one of the most talented QB's to play here..."

Bison_Dan
04-09-2007, 09:13 PM

I am really looking forward to watching this kid play in the FargoDome. *He may be the most talented QB to ever play here...along with the guy from Cal Davis several years ago. *Should be another reason for a sold out FargoDome!

Did not mean to annoy you 99Bison...remember, we are on the same team. *Seems you answered your own question when you asked, "What basis do they come from other than being recruited at a top d1 School?" *How many kids with this much potential do we have the opportunity to see here in Fargo? *Admittedly, I have not seen him play other than film...similar to 99% of all the athletes who end up playing in Fargo. *This certainly is no disrespect to Walker. *I hope the game proves Walker is at least as good as Bomar. *Perhaps I should rephrase my comment to, "He may be one of the most talented QB's to play here..."

There are lots of DI qb's that didn't pan out. How much college fb has he played? Hell he might be the best thing since sliced bread but until he shows he can play fb at the college level (any level) he hasn't proofed anything yet.

BISON_Thunder
04-09-2007, 09:21 PM

Did not mean to annoy you 99Bison...remember, we are on the same team. *Seems you answered your own question when you asked, "What basis do they come from other than being recruited at a top d1 School?" *How many kids with this much potential do we have the opportunity to see here in Fargo? *Admittedly, I have not seen him play other than film...similar to 99% of all the athletes who end up playing in Fargo. *This certainly is no disrespect to Walker. *I hope the game proves Walker is at least as good as Bomar. *Perhaps I should rephrase my comment to, "He may be one of the most talented QB's to play here..."

There are lots of DI qb's that didn't pan out. *How much college fb has he played? *Hell he might be the best thing since sliced bread but until he shows he can play fb at the college level (any level) he hasn't proofed anything yet. *

Okay, I give...Bomar may not be one of the most talented QB's to play in Fargo, because he has not "proofed" anything yet. Geez, can I still come to the game?

NorthernBison
04-09-2007, 09:37 PM
What planet have you guys been on? Bomar started 11 games for Oklahoma as a redshirt Freshman. He set a freshman record with 2018 passing yards and completed 54% of his passes. He threw 10 Td's and 10 int's in 2005. Oklahoma won six of their final 7 games and beat oregon in the Holiday Bowl. I'd say he has proven himself as a capable college QB.

Scooter
04-09-2007, 10:22 PM
What planet have you guys been on? *Bomar started 11 games for Oklahoma as a redshirt Freshman. *He set a freshman record with 2018 passing yards and completed 54% of his passes. *He threw 10 Td's and 10 int's in 2005. *Oklahoma won six of their final 7 games and beat oregon in the Holiday Bowl. *I'd say he has proven himself as a capable college QB.

I'm sure that you will be the first in line to wave the palm branches as Bomar rides into Fargo on a donkey as you sing "Hosanna in the Highest" *I'll take the kid that threw for 10 TD's and 0 interceptions his freshman year. *At least with him, I don't have to worry about what he is going to do off the field. *We all know that Mr. Bomar is a talented athlete. *It's the baggage that he brings with him, deserved or not, that is the gamble on SHSU's part. *

Further, I'll bet that he won't be the best quarterback on the field when we play, either. *I'll throw some numbers at you...

Yards * *TD * *INT
2004 * * 2097 * * 14 7
2005 * * 2530 * * 19 9
2006 * * 2819 * * 22 9
Total * * 7446 * * 55 25

Those are some pretty impressive IA numbers, and , proven over a three year stretch. *This guy got schooled (shown that he was significantly the inferior QB on this particular day) in his own house by Walker last year.

Those are the numbers for the U of M QB. *The U of M had some pretty good offensive linemen last year. *I doubt that Bomar will get the same level of protection.

Gamehunter
04-09-2007, 11:29 PM
What planet have you guys been on? Bomar started 11 games for Oklahoma as a redshirt Freshman. He set a freshman record with 2018 passing yards and completed 54% of his passes. He threw 10 Td's and 10 int's in 2005. Oklahoma won six of their final 7 games and beat oregon in the Holiday Bowl. I'd say he has proven himself as a capable college QB.

I'm sure that you will be the first in line to wave the palm branches as Bomar rides into Fargo on a donkey as you sing "Hosanna in the Highest" I'll take the kid that threw for 10 TD's and 0 interceptions his freshman year. At least with him, I don't have to worry about what he is going to do off the field. We all know that Mr. Bomar is a talented athlete. It's the baggage that he brings with him, deserved or not, that is the gamble on SHSU's part.

Further, I'll bet that he won't be the best quarterback on the field when we play, either. I'll throw some numbers at you...

Yards TD INT
2004 2097 14 7
2005 2530 19 9
2006 2819 22 9
Total 7446 55 25

Those are some pretty impressive IA numbers, and , proven over a three year stretch. This guy got schooled in his own house by Walker last year.

Those are the numbers for the U of M QB. The U of M had some pretty good offensive linemen last year. I doubt that Bomar will get the same level of protection.

++ I don't even think it'll be that close between Walker and Bomar. As a senior Walker has ALOT of experience and team chemistry over Bomar plus a very good supporting cast of lineman, WR's, and RB's to help out(not to even mention way better numbers through the air). I'm not trying to say this guy wont be as good or better than Walker in a couple of years....but it's a little rediculous to put the two in the same sentence right now.

56BISON73
04-10-2007, 12:48 AM
I have never been able to understand the thought process that makes one think that one QB got schooled by another since those QBs dont go ahead to head against each other. They compete against the opposing teams DEFENSE.

But in this case people are trying to compare apples to oranges. Bomar has some pretty good stats against level one Div 1 schools. Waker hasnt had that opportunity. PL

Scooter
04-10-2007, 01:20 AM
I have never been able to understand the thought process that makes one think that one QB got schooled by another since those QBs dont go ahead to head against each other. They compete against the opposing teams DEFENSE.

But in this case people are trying to compare apples to oranges. Bomar has some pretty good stats against level one Div 1 schools. Waker hasnt had that opportunity. PL

Yeah, maybe "schooled" wasn't technically correct, but you obviously got my point. * Would you be happier with "was shown to significantly be the the inferior QB on that particular day"? **At the start of the game the anouncers were all talking about the gopher QB being better and wondering how Walker would perform against IA Big Ten competition. *During the game, one quarterback was clearly out performing his counterpart. *Also, if you want to use the argument that Walker hasn't had the opportunity to go up against IA level schools you have to also acknowlege that while Walker was out performing the U of M QB, he was further handicapped by the fact that the U of M QB had the advantage of playing against a reclassifying FCS defense *;) while Steve was forced to perform against a Defense from the Big Ten. *Walker was doing the teaching, my friend. *We have another performance mark... Steve against IA Ball State.

The point was that we have played against division I quarterbacks that actually have BETTER overall numbers than Rhett does. *And, he won't be playing with his teammates from Oklahoma. *You have to admit that is a factor. **

10 TD's to 10 INTs is OK but certainly not world beating.

Gamehunter
04-10-2007, 01:31 AM

yeah... apparently

29 46 451 63.0 48 3 0 166.92

22 37 237 59.5 22 0 1 107.86

arn't very good numbers against "level one Div 1 schools".

However, I definately agree about each QB competing against the opposing defense and not being able to truely compare the two like the example of NDSU vs. UM. And I think we can all agree that the NDSU and SHSU defense will be anything but equal in September if the last few years are any indicator ;D

56BISON73
04-10-2007, 01:53 AM

*At the start of the game the anouncers were all talking about the gopher QB being better and wondering how Walker would perform against IA Big Ten competition. *During the game, one quarterback was clearly out performing his counterpart. *Also, if you want to use the argument that Walker hasn't had the opportunity to go up against IA level schools you have to also acknowlege that while Walker was out performing the U of M QB, he was further handicapped by the fact that the U of M QB had the advantage of playing against a reclassifying FCS defense *;) while Steve was forced to perform against a Defense from the Big Ten. *Walker was doing the teaching, my friend. *We have another performance mark... Steve against IA Ball State.

The point was that we have played against division I quarterbacks that actually have BETTER overall numbers than Rhett does. *And, he won't be playing with his teammates from Oklahoma. *You have to admit that is a factor. **

10 TD's to 10 INTs is OK but certainly not world beating.

Iam not trying to take anything away from Walker. But I would hope you arent using MN and Ball State as a bench mark for reasons that are obvious. PL

TexasTerror
04-10-2007, 03:05 AM
Glad there is so much discussion under the SHSU/NDSU thread! ;D

Hope to see some more of you make your way to KatFans.com. Another one of you Bison fans made your way over and got another convo started on the NDSU/SHSU game. Good deal!

NorthernBison
04-10-2007, 11:55 AM
What planet have you guys been on? *Bomar started 11 games for Oklahoma as a redshirt Freshman. *He set a freshman record with 2018 passing yards and completed 54% of his passes. *He threw 10 Td's and 10 int's in 2005. *Oklahoma won six of their final 7 games and beat oregon in the Holiday Bowl. *I'd say he has proven himself as a capable college QB.

I'm sure that you will be the first in line to wave the palm branches as Bomar rides into Fargo on a donkey as you sing "Hosanna in the Highest" *I'll take the kid that threw for 10 TD's and 0 interceptions his freshman year. *At least with him, I don't have to worry about what he is going to do off the field. *We all know that Mr. Bomar is a talented athlete. *It's the baggage that he brings with him, deserved or not, that is the gamble on SHSU's part. *

Further, I'll bet that he won't be the best quarterback on the field when we play, either. *I'll throw some numbers at you...

Yards * *TD * *INT
2004 * * 2097 * * 14 7
2005 * * 2530 * * 19 9
2006 * * 2819 * * 22 9
Total * * 7446 * * 55 25

Those are some pretty impressive IA numbers, and , proven over a three year stretch. *This guy got schooled (shown that he was significantly the inferior QB on this particular day) in his own house by Walker last year.

Those are the numbers for the U of M QB. *The U of M had some pretty good offensive linemen last year. *I doubt that Bomar will get the same level of protection.

No, I won't be there to "wave the palm branches". I'll be there to cheer on the Bison. Nowhere in my post did I make ANY inference about Bomar vs. Walker. I was somewhat frustrated by some posters who seemed to think that Bomar had zero college football experience and was being hyped because of his being recruited by a big time college program. I wanted to point out that he started nearly a full year as a freshman for Oklahoma and put up some decent numbers. Certainly acceptable numbers for a freshman. Before the problems with the car dealership, people were referring to him as Oklahoma's STAR Quarterback.

Anytime a player with exceptional talent steps on the field, it creates issues for the other team. I am looking forward to see how our defense does against a quality QB. Last year nobody owned our defense for an entire game (a half maybe). I'd expect more of the same this year.

99Bison
04-10-2007, 02:15 PM
The point my original reply was to take off the media blinders and look at reality to understand and respect the kids... Which everyone appears to have done since.

Yes thunder you can still go to the game as long as you have bells on. ;D

Scooter
04-10-2007, 07:45 PM

Yards * *TD * *INT
2004 * * 2097 * * 14 7
2005 * * 2530 * * 19 9
2006 * * 2819 * * 22 9
Total * * 7446 * * 55 25

No, I won't be there to "wave the palm branches". *I'll be there to cheer on the Bison. *Nowhere in my post did I make ANY inference about Bomar vs. Walker. *I was somewhat frustrated by some posters who seemed to think that Bomar had zero college football experience and was being hyped because of his being recruited by a big time college program. *I wanted to point out that he started nearly a full year as a freshman for Oklahoma and put up some decent numbers. *Certainly acceptable numbers for a freshman. *Before the problems with the car dealership, people were referring to him as Oklahoma's STAR Quarterback. *

Anytime a player with exceptional talent steps on the field, it creates issues for the other team. *I am looking forward to see how our defense does against a quality QB. *Last year nobody owned our defense for an entire game (a half maybe). *I'd expect more of the same this year. *

Hey man, it's Easter time hence the Palm Sunday reference. *You just seamed so enthusiastic about listing the kids stats from yards to Td's to Int's to Wins...ect, that I just thought it prudent to point out that these numbers were in line with a IA player that we have previously played. *Actually, his numbers aren't as good as the MN QB's. *Although Bomar's freshman numbers are good, having an even TD to INT ratio is not. *

Although I admit to taking a friendly jab at the reverence you give to Bomar's freshman stats, I never said that you preferred him to Walker. I simply stated that I prefer Walker.

NorthernBison
04-10-2007, 08:45 PM
No problem Scooter. I caught the Easter reference and apparently you have been paying attention in church last couple weekends.

I actually didn't qoute stats to prove that Bomar is some kind of superstar QB. The yards aren't bad and the TD/Int ratio is nothing to brag about. I was really trying to convey that the kid did start 11 games as a freshman and it was for Oklahoma. Typically there is more to a story than just the raw stats.

The only thing I might disagree with your logic on is the MN QB vs Bomar. Regardless of the stats, I'd probably lean toward the kid that started for Oklahoma over a player that was a Gopher starter. ;)

For the Gopher fans out there, that was a friendly jab OK. I know that Spaeth was probably the best TE in the country so my logic is flawed. I get it.

Scooter
04-11-2007, 01:37 AM
No problem Scooter. *I caught the Easter reference and apparently you have been paying attention in church last couple weekends..

Yeah, I can't wait for Pentecost, it's coming up you know. *The possibilities are endless...tongues of fire.... speaking in multiple languages....A mighty wind....Spreading the gospel that is Bison football...(I hope I don't smoke a turd in purgetory for that one)

56BISON73
04-11-2007, 02:02 AM
No problem Scooter. *I caught the Easter reference and apparently you have been paying attention in church last couple weekends..

Yeah, I can't wait for Pentecost, it's coming up you know. *The possibilities are endless...tongues of fire.... speaking in multiple languages....A mighty wind....Spreading the gospel that is Bison football...(I hope I don't smoke a turd in purgetory for that one)

Scooter
Why wait? Come on down to AR. They have numerous places here that you can see that stuff every Sunday. :o :o PL

TexasTerror
04-21-2007, 08:30 PM
SHSU had our spring game today. Early reports are that the Bearkat faithful were more impressed with backup QB Brett Hicks than they were prized transfer Rhett Bomar...things are still early. There's a whole bunch of time before the Kats strap in for two-a-days.

For spring football game review, click over to http://www.katfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5102

Take care...

BisonNeil
04-21-2007, 10:11 PM
SHSU had our spring game today. Early reports are that the Bearkat faithful were more impressed with backup QB Brett Hicks than they were prized transfer Rhett Bomar...things are still early. There's a whole bunch of time before the Kats strap in for two-a-days.

For spring football game review, click over to http://www.katfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5102

Take care...

I am looking forward to watching Brown, does he play DE? Which side? I am wondering if he will be going up against our all american tackle or a newbie.

Thanks for the link, looks like you guys are back in the hunt!

TxBisonFan
04-22-2007, 12:04 AM

Take care...

I am looking forward to watching Brown, does he play DE? Which side? I am wondering if he will be going up against our all american tackle or a newbie.

D1-A transfers don't always work out but I hope for the kid it does. Rhett seems to have his head screwed on.

TexasTerror
04-22-2007, 12:11 AM

Brown plays DE. Not sure what side, but he may be the bigger impact player of the transfers we have...even more so than Bomar...

BisonNeil
04-22-2007, 03:22 PM

Brown plays DE. Not sure what side, but he may be the bigger impact player of the transfers we have...even more so than Bomar...

Well, if he is an impact player, than undoubtedly he is playing on the right side, QB blind side. He would be going up against our all american tackle. Brown vs Safe could be a head bangin matchup that will be interesting to watch this fall.

Thanks for the info.

TexasTerror
04-27-2007, 10:37 PM
Was just announced SHSU will be facing Kansas in 2008...

SHSU will have a really nice schedule in 2008...

NDSU (OOC) with SLC foes TXST, SFA, McN and SELA coming to Huntsville. SHSU travels to NWST, UCA and Nicholls along with the game against Kansas. Look for SHSU to schedule a sub-Div I foe more than likely as we'll have atleast six home games.

If lucky, we'll start a new home-and-home with an FCS foe at home. SHSU begins a four year home-and-home with Gateway member Western Illinois in 2009, so we'd have atleast one home and one away with FCS foes in 2009 in addition to our typical FBS game on the road and one sub-Div I game at home.

TexasTerror
04-27-2007, 10:38 PM
Well, if he is an impact player, than undoubtedly he is playing on the right side, QB blind side. He would be going up against our all american tackle. Brown vs Safe could be a head bangin matchup that will be interesting to watch this fall.

Two-deep (post-spring drills) announced...

http://bearkats.shsu.edu/football/twodeep.html

TexasTerror
04-27-2007, 10:39 PM
If you folks get a chance, here's a new column about the Southland Conference...one of NDSU's favorite conferences, right?

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/images/articles/85490_DOWNSOUTH.jpg

Down South: Welcome to Down South(land)

Down south, there’s a special brand of football. It comes from the Southland Conference. This conference encompasses schools from Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas. In the seven seasons since 2000, the Southland has had multiple bids to the best four weeks in American college football on five different occasions. There’s not many other leagues that can claim the weekly war of attrition to see who will rise above the rest as the institution which gets the opportunity to proudly display a Southland Conference championship banner at their football stadium the following year. ...

Jason Plotkin, CSN Columnist
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=85490

TexasTerror
05-07-2007, 02:09 AM
It's FCS Game of the Week time...

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/survey.asp

I think SHSU @ North Dakota St is a good pick for week three. Georgia Southern @ Coastal Carolina is a good one as is UNI @ South Dakota State...not sure any other games are more attractive...

TexasTerror
05-12-2007, 12:35 PM
Who wants to help my argument and help me justify NDSU being #2 in my preseason poll?

http://www.katfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5208

Bisonguy
05-12-2007, 02:46 PM
I'd have NDSU somewhere between 5-10 right now. :nod:

TransAmBison
05-12-2007, 04:31 PM
I feel happy with placing the Bison at #2. I can't think of anyone I'd place above them other than App. And even they are suspect...even though they are "Hot, hot, hot!"

TexasTerror
05-12-2007, 05:35 PM
I feel happy with placing the Bison at #2. I can't think of anyone I'd place above them other than App. And even they are suspect...even though they are "Hot, hot, hot!"

I would place Montana ahead of NDSU just because I think the Griz have an easier schedule and will produce a better W-L record than the Bison, though not necessarily reflective of being a better team than NDSU...which is why I put NDSU over Montana...

TAILG8R
05-12-2007, 06:32 PM

I always loved that one!

TexasTerror
05-26-2007, 06:45 PM
An update from KatFans...

New Turf - sure your coaching staff will like that in 2009 compared to what we've had
http://www.katfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5219
http://www.katfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5193

TexasTerror
09-08-2007, 09:29 PM
A few more hours (once we deal with Arkansas- Monticello and you folks handle SFA)...it'll be NDSU vs SHSU time!

Hope to see some of you come over to KatFans.com as we'll want to learn about you guys and get your thoughts on one of our big rivals, SFA.

See you in a few hours...

TexasTerror
09-09-2007, 02:19 AM
SHSU wins 48-10 tonight over Arkansas-Monticello...

SHSU got off to a slow start but things picked up from the early-goings of the second half...

Running game looks pretty solid, a few too many dropped passes by WRs...

TexasTerror
09-09-2007, 02:49 AM
Opened up the game threads on KatFans and AGS...

KatFans:
http://www.katfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5988

AGS:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29050

These are two very active FCS schools as far as online boards go, so we should have quite a bit of good interaction between the schools. Know some of our fans are looking forward to the trek up to Fargo, North Dakota. Safe travels to them and good luck this week!

HerdBot
09-09-2007, 03:21 AM
Opened up the game threads on KatFans and AGS...

KatFans:
http://www.katfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5988

AGS:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29050

These are two very active FCS schools as far as online boards go, so we should have quite a bit of good interaction between the schools. Know some of our fans are looking forward to the trek up to Fargo, North Dakota. Safe travels to them and good luck this week!

Just like your guys ugly first game we had an ugly first game too. I think this is the first time in history I have seen a team turn the ball over 5 times to the opponents zero, have 3 poorly timed unsportsman like conduct penalties, and, and dropped 4 key passes not counting 2 deflections that lead to picks and still win the game by 10. A win is a win but it's certainly not impressive for us!