PDA

View Full Version : Did we get Carey Woods?

Mr. Burgundy
12-16-2011, 03:03 PM
I found this on the MN rivals page. www.minnesotapreps.com something I read daily....

Bemidji WR Carey Woods (6'1 180)made quite a name for himself with an impressive performance in Bemidji's win over Mankato West during the playoffs and received an offer from NDSU the following week and generated some interest from Minnesota. From one source, it has been confirmed he accepted his offer from NDSU, which brings our total number of D1 offers for the Class of 2012 to 36 offers to date.

This would be a great addition to not only our football team, but for what is already going to be a GREAT WEEKEND for Bison football.

coloradobison
12-16-2011, 03:05 PM
Kolpack just tweeted the same as unconfirmed.

DjKyRo
12-16-2011, 03:12 PM
Kolpack just tweeted that it's solid. Welcome to NDSU, Mr. Woods!

Another great add to this class, between Woods and DeSean Warren that's two talented WRs at a spot where we badly need some depth. Excellent verbal.

HooliganBison
Kolpack just tweeted it is confirmed.

coloradobison
Kolpack just tweeted that it's solid. Welcome to NDSU, Mr. Woods!

Beat me to it! Confirmed. Welcome!

CAS4127
12-16-2011, 03:13 PM
That's a good get right there!!

HandoEX
12-16-2011, 03:16 PM
This kid has STAR potential. Been following him for a couple years and thought he'd be playing college basketball for sure. He was absolutely dominant this season for Bemidji and his athleticism is something we'll need next year. I am beyond excited!!!!!!!!!! Welcome to NDSU Carey!!!

HooliganBison
12-16-2011, 03:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOvx7Ovs2Wo

jarhead
12-16-2011, 03:33 PM
Just keeps getting better & better. Welcome aboard Woods family.

KTF
12-16-2011, 03:34 PM
We should use him like the Vikings use Percy Harvin... Multiple positions... Wildcat...

Dabison
12-16-2011, 03:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOvx7Ovs2Wo

:56 touchdown in back of the EZ. Right in front of Vigen.

GradBison
12-16-2011, 03:48 PM

Good eye! Welcome aboard Mr. Woods!

steelbison
12-16-2011, 03:48 PM
Another great get!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome Carey!!!!!

tony
12-16-2011, 04:00 PM

Good eye (and great catch both by Woods and the Bison.)

aces1180
12-16-2011, 04:04 PM
I played softball against him last year...Kid's a stud in everything he does.

He'll be an impact player for the Herd.

BisonNeil
12-16-2011, 04:06 PM
I hang around the GopherHole from time to time. Several gopherholers went to the game Woods had over Mankato-West, they were there to watch Nelson. They came away impressed with Woods and all were in agreement, MN had to get him. Several said they cannot let players like this go to NDSU, because it is these kinds of players that NDSU always seems to find that is the reason why NDSU beats MN. I loved it!!!!

Castor Troy
12-16-2011, 04:10 PM
I hang around the GopherHole from time to time. Several gopherholers went to the game Woods had over Mankato-West, they were there to watch Nelson. They came away impressed with Woods and all were in agreement, MN had to get him. Several said they cannot let players like this go to NDSU, because it is these kinds of players that NDSU always seems to find that is the reason why NDSU beats MN. I loved it!!!!

Dang, those Gopher fans are smarter than I give them credit! I was hoping that we could keep this a secret for a while, but since they had a whole thread started on how they missed LeVon Perry I knew they would catch on. Woods looks awesome! Great hands and a solid, athletic body in high school. He can put on 15-20 more pounds by the time he's a sophomore and he will be very useful. Looks like he can be a good guy for some YAC.

CAS4127
12-16-2011, 04:12 PM
I am interested in how fast he really is. Kind of a long strider.

HandoEX
12-16-2011, 04:16 PM
I am interested in how fast he really is. Kind of a long strider.
It sounds dumb, but he needs to learn to run. He is very fast, not super quick yet.

CAS4127
12-16-2011, 04:17 PM
It sounds dumb, but he needs to learn to run. He is very fast, not super quick yet.

Not to me, I know exactly what you are referring to.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
12-16-2011, 04:23 PM
That darn Vigen....he cant coach, but he is a hell of a recruiter

Bison03
12-16-2011, 04:24 PM

Reminds me of the Glen Mason quote at the gopher game seconds after Marcus ran it in to end the half. I was something like, "He's from Hopkins? That's a pitching wedge away from my house." I love getting players that the gophers don't want then using them to beat them. I think the players like it too. This kid is going to be an impact player right away.

coloradobison
12-16-2011, 04:27 PM
http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/event/article/id/100034633/group/homepage/

bruinbison
12-16-2011, 04:30 PM
It is now also on the Bemidji Pioneer website -

" Bemidji football standout Carey Woods verbally commits to NDSU".....

Anyone know what size he is? Noticed the Kansas verbal is 5'11", 150. Is he about the same size?

Professor Chaos
12-16-2011, 04:35 PM
It is now also on the Bemidji Pioneer website -

" Bemidji football standout Carey Woods verbally commits to NDSU".....

Anyone know what size he is? Noticed the Kansas verbal is 5'11", 150. Is he about the same size?
Looks like he's significantly bigger than Warren. 6'1" 190

For however much creedance you put into what maxpreps.com says. He's a standout basketball player so you'd think he's got decent size.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/Y1prD4WcgU2G84dNzrrTVQ/football-fall-10/profile-carey-woods.htm

Castor Troy
12-16-2011, 04:42 PM
Not to me, I know exactly what you are referring to.

I did a quick search on him and he is not on the track team, which shows. He runs "in" the ground and not on top of it, meaning that all of the force that he is generating is being directed down into the ground. Long story longer, if he joins the track team they will teach him proper form and they will shorten up his stride and team him that short levers are for quickness.

But I agree. He has speed.

Kermit
12-16-2011, 04:43 PM
I watched Bemidji and Woods play at Moorhead early this fall. I couldn't take my eyes off of Woods. He dominated the game, as a WR, but he also carried the ball a few times, played the entire game at CB, and was an excellent kick returner. His athleticism was on a completely different level than the other kids on the field that day. I left thinking that I had just seen the best WR prospect I have seen in this area in a long time.

If you are interested, search for some of his basketball highlight videos on YouTube. It is unreal how easily he dunks the ball at his height.

coldspot
12-16-2011, 04:52 PM

I wouldn't worry about him learning to run, the strength and conditioning staff does a fantastic job teaching form running.

Mr. Burgundy
12-16-2011, 06:22 PM
If you want to laugh, read ss.com and try to understand the spin they are putting on this one. Stating they didn't offer...etc. Do they remember the game he played against Mankato? Against the future Gopher QB's team? Yes, he put his team on his back. Massive KR TD, 2 long TD receptions, etc. He is an elite level athlete. I would expect him to redshirt (like most do) and be a great contributor. Another GREAT local pickup. Mussman did his in house, was told that if he doesn't get the bigtime (Gopher) offer, he was going to NDSU. Pretty simple. Nothing wrong with that. If you were a kid and was able to observe how NDSU is doing, wouldn't you be impressed? 3 straight packed houses, great exposure, that is all anyone is talking about. Our half ride was increased to a full ride after the semi final game and it was a done deal. Local talent has always been the cornerstone of NDSU football and we again took the best from the local area. Great job to the staff.

NorthernBison
12-16-2011, 06:38 PM
If you want to laugh, read ss.com and try to understand the spin they are putting on this one. Stating they didn't offer...etc. Do they remember the game he played against Mankato? Against the future Gopher QB's team? Yes, he put his team on his back. Massive KR TD, 2 long TD receptions, etc. He is an elite level athlete. I would expect him to redshirt (like most do) and be a great contributor. Another GREAT local pickup. Mussman did his in house, was told that if he doesn't get the bigtime (Gopher) offer, he was going to NDSU. Pretty simple. Nothing wrong with that. If you were a kid and was able to observe how NDSU is doing, wouldn't you be impressed? 3 straight packed houses, great exposure, that is all anyone is talking about. Our half ride was increased to a full ride after the semi final game and it was a done deal. Local talent has always been the cornerstone of NDSU football and we again took the best from the local area. Great job to the staff.

I checked that thread out. Some truly funny stuff there.

Correct me if I'm wrong but have they beat ANYBODY of note in D1? I can't think of one true quality win during the transition.

NDSU_grad
12-16-2011, 06:39 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but have they beat ANYBODY of note in D1? I can't think of one true quality win during the transition.
I think they did beat a ranked Cal Poly team last year, but that's the only win of significance I can think of.

NDSUstudent
12-16-2011, 06:43 PM
They beat SUU and gave their coach a Gatorade bath...that is all that needs to be said about UND football.....

HerdBot
12-16-2011, 06:45 PM
They beat SUU and gave their coach a Gatorade bath...that is all that needs to be said about UND football.....

Wow THAT is some funny shit! SUU finished below .500!! Act like you've been there before! Oh I guess they havent? When they won the 4 team GWFC they posed like hockey teams do. They just don't know how to act. :)

NorthernBison
12-16-2011, 06:48 PM
I think they did beat a ranked Cal Poly team last year, but that's the only win of significance I can think of.

Good to know.

Needless to say, Mussman is NOT in a position to pick and choose talent. He gets the scraps. If he didn't offer Woods, it was because he knew his offer would not be accepted. I'll give Mussman credit for a "face saving" decision. He didn't lose this battle.

* I'll give him credit on Mollberg because NDSU offered him too. (apparently Mollberg was not #1 on our QB wish list, so there)

Bison Dan
12-16-2011, 06:52 PM

Just look at the "All GWC football team" See all the und guys??

KTF
12-16-2011, 07:15 PM
I guess I can see what some of the posters are saying on SS.com about the work issue and the coaches response. However, the team envrionment is work harder then everybody else... I think the peer pressure will make him work hard.

Bison06
12-16-2011, 07:21 PM
What's interesting about attitude problems in high school kids coming to NDSU is you get humbled VERY quickly. Everyone here was the best player on their HS team and noone gives a s*** what you did before you came to NDSU.

Joe Mays probably could have been put in the same category before he came to NDSU. How did that work out?

Being in an environment full of winners and guys that will put a foot in your ass if you don't work hard will change a man. This kid will be no different, he'll get with the program or he won't be here very long. (eg. Receiver out of Bloomington Jefferson a few years back)

coldspot
12-16-2011, 07:24 PM
What's interesting about attitude problems in high school kids coming to NDSU is you get humbled VERY quickly. Everyone here was the best player on their HS team and noone gives a s*** what you did before you came to NDSU.

Joe Mays probably could have been put in the same category before he came to NDSU. How did that work out?

Being in an environment full of winners and guys that will put a foot in your ass if you don't work hard will change a man. This kid will be no different, he'll get with the program or he won't be here very long. (eg. Receiver out of Bloomington Jefferson a few years back)

and I don't think we would have been after him as hard if our coaching staff didn't think he was capable of fitting into the team attitude.

Bison03
12-16-2011, 07:24 PM

Being in an environment full of winners and guys that will put a foot in your ass if you don't work hard will change a man. This kid will be no different, he'll get with the program or he won't be here very long.

Great points. The work ethic and cockiness of an 18 year old freshman football player vs. that of a 22 year old senior is huge.

imabison
12-16-2011, 07:29 PM

You may be referring to the quote from the coach “Carey will be challenged at NDSU but if he puts in the effort he will be successful,” Hendricks said

HandoEX
12-16-2011, 08:36 PM
He has made some mistakes, but don't be confused, he's a hard working kid! He doesn't expect to be handed anything in life.