PDA

View Full Version : Sit/Stand During Games

EmeraldCityBison
12-15-2011, 05:29 PM
Many have commented about the party-poopers in attendance at home football games that ask those that stand in front of them to sit down. Even on critical parts of the game. Some have even reported being confronted by security.

Earlier this week, the same issue came up when the Seattle Sounders FC held their annual Alliance Business meeting where supporter groups and team owners and executives discuss issues to make a better game experience. At Sounders games, most of the entire lower bowl (~32k) stands for the entire game. Here is what some of those folks said about standing during games:

Q: Is the front office committed to allowing standing the 100 level for the foreseeable future?

A (Gary Wright, Senior VP of Business Operations): "I think to tell the fan to sit down is very, very difficult. I, for one, have tickets in section 113. I'm not very tall and the guy in front of me is about 6-foot-5. I'm a lot older than most people in the stadium and I get tired, but it's something special to be there, too. I am going to move my seats this year because I needed to do that, so I feel if somebody needs to move their seats because they can't stand, our ticket office is committed to help them be able to move. We will definitely do that. Somehow, someway we will figure out how to move you."

A (Paul Cox, Sounders Alliance member): "I don't know how many of you guys have noticed that, but for the most part in the lower bowl most of the people stand for most of the game and in the upper bowl people don't. Yeah, it might means sometimes you have to move or you might have to pay more for your ticket."

A (Drew Carey, part owner): "I love that people stand in the lower bowl for the full 90 and it's something that I brag about to others. Good for you for standing up. And if you don't like the people that stand up, tough."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/soundersfcblog/2017017322_highlights_from_the_sounders_f.html

If someone has a problem with someone else standing in front of them, the problem shouldn't be resolved by asking that person to sit down. The person levying the complaint should either be relocated or stand up. Has dome security actually removed someone for standing in their assigned seat area? And if so, what can be done to make things right?

duluthbison
12-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Many have commented about the party-poopers in attendance at home football games that ask those that stand in front of them to sit down. Even on critical parts of the game. Some have even reported being confronted by security.

Earlier this week, the same issue came up when the Seattle Sounders FC held their annual Alliance Business meeting where supporter groups and team owners and executives discuss issues to make a better game experience. At Sounders games, most of the entire lower bowl (~32k) stands for the entire game. Here is what some of those folks said about standing during games:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/soundersfcblog/2017017322_highlights_from_the_sounders_f.html

If someone has a problem with someone else standing in front of them, the problem shouldn't be resolved by asking that person to sit down. The person levying the complaint should either be relocated or stand up. Has dome security actually removed someone for standing in their assigned seat area? And if so, what can be done to make things right?

Email Gene Taylor and Craig Bohl

roadwarrior
12-15-2011, 06:20 PM
I noticed that whoever sat behind me last saturday rarely if ever stood. I was waiting to use my line about even having to stand sometimes in church, but they never said anything. I think were satisified watching the live action on the video screen.

Twentysix
12-18-2011, 08:53 AM
I noticed that whoever sat behind me last saturday rarely if ever stood. I was waiting to use my line about even having to stand sometimes in church, but they never said anything. I think were satisified watching the live action on the video screen.

Weird. Why come to the game if you are just gonna stare at a tv?

80ALUM
12-18-2011, 10:36 PM
On the flip side, the two people in front of us stood the entire game and never once clapped or cheered. Just standing isn't very intimidating to the opposition. At least make some noise. I'd rather have people sit and be loud than stand and be silent.

BisonBabe
12-18-2011, 11:02 PM
At the Lehigh game there was an older gentleman sitting behind us in GA ... he asked me nicely if we would not stand on all the plays as he has back/knee issues and could not stand all the time. I agreed but let him know I would be up on all defensive 3 & 4th downs....he was good with that ... Because he was nice about it I replied in kind....

Castor Troy
12-23-2011, 07:45 PM
I went to the GSU game with my wife, our youngest daughter and her friend, and our 8 month old boy. We sat behind some students who stood up the entire game, but we were fine. Sometimes we stood up and sometimes we didn't. They were high fivin' all of us and we had a lot of fun. They couldn't believe that my son was able to sleep for an hour during that game.

1998braves64
12-28-2011, 03:34 AM
They couldn't believe that my son was able to sleep for an hour during that game.

I find it incredible that in a dark room no noise etc that our son can take forEVER to fall asleep but at a Bison game he'll be out in 2 minutes and sleep for an hour and a half (probably would be longer if I could hold him that long without my butt going numb and start moving around) with all the ruckus being raised in the Fargodome.