PDA

View Full Version : Lennon has confidence in the Bison against the vaunted TO.....

NDSUstudent
12-15-2011, 04:08 AM
The stache weighs in on the game in Dave Kolpack's AP article...

To stop it, Lennon said, each defender has to follow his assignment rather than trying to make every tackle. He would tell his linemen to take on the first body in the way and not even look to see what's going on in the backfield. That leaves the linebackers and defensive backs to match up with the skill players.
One mistake results in a big play, Lennon said.

On the other hand, he said, Georgia Southern might make risky pitches and isn't comfortable playing from behind.

"I like North Dakota State," he said. "I think they've got talent on defense. I think their speed is right where you need it, and their versatility with their front seven is pretty impressive. And I think they have the coaches who know how to defend it."

Read more: http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2011/12/14/1858149/bison-prepare-for-vaunted-georgia.html#ixzz1gZp5yEAW

SafeTeeJ
12-15-2011, 04:14 AM
...imagine

angles and pursuit

CaBisonFan
12-15-2011, 04:14 AM
The stache weighs in on the game in Dave Kolpack's AP article...

Read more: http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2011/12/14/1858149/bison-prepare-for-vaunted-georgia.html#ixzz1gZp5yEAW

Interesting...though Lennon has no love for us. Can the guy be truly objective in this scenario? Perhaps

Interesting to hear that more teams are going back to the TO. I'm shocked that there haven't been more teams that play it.

Not saying we should...just saying that I love the TO. NDSU ran it to near perfection...one of the main reasons why we have the titles.

It'll be fun to watch an offense that is a throwback to our historic past.

TheBisonator
12-15-2011, 04:18 AM
Interesting...though Lennon has no love for us. Can the guy be truly objective in this scenario? Perhaps

Interesting to hear that more teams are going back to the TO. I'm shocked that there haven't been more teams that play it.

Not saying we should...just saying that I love the TO. NDSU ran it to near perfection...one of the main reasons why we have the titles.

We would need to change our whole coaching staff to switch to the TO. I think only Bohl has some limited experience with it.

I'm personally in favor of a hybrid West Coast/Spread combo. Think of how good the Spread can work for you if you have the really big, fast guys required for the WCO!!

westnodak93bison
12-15-2011, 04:32 AM
[QUOTE=CaBisonFan;575434]Interesting...though Lennon has no love for us. Can the guy be truly objective in this scenario?

Not sure you are correct here. He may not like NDSU but I've heard Bohl and Lennon actually talk. A friend of mine saw them together in at a bar/restaurant in Bismarck last December. The week of the Montana State playoff game. We think both were in town recruiting Carson Wentz.

CaBisonFan
12-15-2011, 04:46 AM
[QUOTE=CaBisonFan;575434]Interesting...though Lennon has no love for us. Can the guy be truly objective in this scenario?

Not sure you are correct here. He may not like NDSU but I've heard Bohl and Lennon actually talk. A friend of mine saw them together in at a bar/restaurant in Bismarck last December. The week of the Montana State playoff game. We think both were in town recruiting Carson Wentz.

Good to hear.

ndbj52
12-15-2011, 07:26 AM
We would need to change our whole coaching staff to switch to the TO. I think only Bohl has some limited experience with it.

I'm personally in favor of a hybrid West Coast/Spread combo. Think of how good the Spread can work for you if you have the really big, fast guys required for the WCO!!

Our O-line coach Scott Fuches was an All-American at NDSU back in the early '90s when we ran it, he may know a thing or two about it.

Gully
12-15-2011, 11:10 AM
I don't think people realize this offense is completely different than the 1980s and 1990s NDSU veer. Sure they both run an option offense but it looks completely different. I'm not sure about the line blocking schemes, but the the movement of the backs is very different.

TransAmBison
12-15-2011, 12:18 PM

It'll be fun to watch an offense that is a throwback to our historic past.Lennon is pure class...always has been. He wouldn't say something he didn't mean. There is no hate with Lennon, only respect.

Notorious
12-15-2011, 01:11 PM
Lennon is pure class...always has been. He wouldn't say something he didn't mean. There is no hate with Lennon, only respect.

Agreed...hard to not like, and respect, the guy.

TransAmBison
12-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Agreed...hard to not like, and respect, the guy.He is polar opposite of TMWTFN.*

*and you. :D

4mcruenomore
12-15-2011, 01:25 PM
It's hard not to like Dale imo.

BISONBRI53
12-15-2011, 01:28 PM

Sure would make the OC's job easier! :hide:

4mcruenomore
12-15-2011, 01:30 PM
If the Broncos win the superbowl with this kind of offense then all hell is gonna break lose....

KTF
12-15-2011, 01:41 PM
Is Lennon trying to make a plea for a coaching job if Bohl were to leave?

THEsocalledfan
12-15-2011, 01:55 PM
Is Lennon trying to make a plea for a coaching job if Bohl were to leave?

And I thought I was the only one thinking that.

Sadly, I think his success when coaching at a scholl that must not be named versus NDSU would be his undoing as many alumni would never be able to get past that to support that hire.

onbison09
12-15-2011, 01:56 PM
We randomly ran into him after a butthockey game (we wanted to see teh Ralph :hide:) like 6 or 7 years ago. My dad and him were pretty good friends in high school. My dad won a lot of bets in the 80s. He said one year when he was playing for UND he distinctly remembers hearing my dad screaming at the refs over a BS call at Memorial. Anyways we talked a little about the run UND was on and how we were starting to pick it up (I wish I could remember the year). But yeah he was (and is) pure class. There's hatred there to be sure but there's a lot of healthy respect. Almost like competing with your brother. You hate them at the time but you still respect them.

bisoningrandforks
12-15-2011, 02:31 PM
Dale is a class act......I played against him in h.s....I remember they kicked our ass in football...and we kicked there ass in bb.....

bisonmike2
12-15-2011, 02:32 PM
Could this be the kiss of death from the 'Stache?

onbison09
12-15-2011, 02:33 PM
Dale is a class act......I played against him in h.s....I remember they kicked our ass in football...and we kicked there ass in bb.....

What town?

KilldeerBison
12-15-2011, 02:46 PM
I take this as a comment from a coach that knows our program very well, nothing more than the facts as he sees them. He was asked his opinion and he gave it. I would probably place more value in his opinion than say ESPN guys.

bisoningrandforks
12-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Langdon....

onbison09
12-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Langdon....

Sounds about right. You guys always kicked our ass in hockey too

ndsubison1
12-15-2011, 03:12 PM
i just think that it's odd that a former UND coach is the spotlight of an NDSU playoff article...

Tatanka
12-15-2011, 03:24 PM
i just think that it's odd that a former UND coach is the spotlight of an NDSU playoff article...

Consider the source and it makes good sense. Also Lennon is from ND and is well known. On top of that his stache knows a thing or two about defending option football...

Snowgoose
12-15-2011, 03:31 PM
This guy is a great coach and I would take him in a heartbeat as a coach for the Bison. During the years of Babich vs Lennon, Babich would generally have better players but would just get outcoached by Lennon.

Although I do have to say that if Bohl would suddenly jump ship I would seriously have to look at Scotty Hazelton as our defense has just been fantastic since he showed up.

bisoningrandforks
12-15-2011, 03:46 PM
onbison.....we didnt have a hockey program!

RedRiver
12-15-2011, 03:52 PM
This guy is a great coach and I would take him in a heartbeat as a coach for the Bison.
Good thing you are not the NDSU athletic director.......

Snowgoose
12-15-2011, 04:02 PM
Good thing you are not the NDSU athletic director.......

Well, I just want to win and I believe Lennon is a winner even though he has fallon a little bit on some hard times at SIU. I could care less where the people come from even UND as long as we win and the guy is a class act. I dislike the Susies as much as the next person.

I personally don't think Bohl is going anywhere so this conversation is a waste of time, but you never know I guess.

80ALUM
12-15-2011, 04:41 PM
Agree. Hardly ever an article or TV sports segment (at least in western ND) where NDSU is allowed to have the full story. Almost always a mention of UND. An opinion of a coach in our conference is fine for the article but why always the mention of UND. Can't they just mention SI.

heffray
12-15-2011, 05:05 PM
Lennon is pure class...always has been. He wouldn't say something he didn't mean. There is no hate with Lennon, only respect.

Pure class minus the whole Sioux thing, right? Technically, i'd call that "IMpure" class. Like pure class, only tainted with suckiness.

Snowgoose
12-15-2011, 05:19 PM
Some of you guys need to take a chill pill about this UND thing. Like I said I dislike them as much as the rest, but the reason they interviewed him is that one he is from ND, his only mission for a few years was to try and figure out how to stop the option offense (since the Bison dominated them), and he had success doing it. He and Roger Thomas went to I believe Iowa State to figure out how to run the 3-4 defense just to figure out a way to stop our option offense. Those are the reasons they interviewed him.

ndsubison1
12-15-2011, 07:02 PM
will a grand forks herald writer interview bohl for a und article before they play montana state next year? doubt it...

NDSUstudent
12-15-2011, 07:04 PM
The Herald barely recognizes that NDSU exists...so the answer would be no.

ndsubison1
12-15-2011, 07:07 PM
my point is any writer for that matter... answer is no

80ALUM
12-15-2011, 08:07 PM
I notice the email sent from the NDSU athletic office contained no mention of the fact that he used to coach at UND so relevancy of his time at UND to the article.... zero.