PDA

View Full Version : How are the Ga. Southern special teams units?

Thunder_Struck
12-15-2011, 03:41 AM
The last two weeks we faced teams force to go for it on 4th down 2 times in the 1st quarter. We seemed to have a big advantage in special teams in the playoffs so far. What does GSU have to offer?

MAKBison
12-15-2011, 05:46 AM
Over on their boards they were talking how they don’t really need to use their punt team too often!

jimmyptubas
12-15-2011, 05:53 AM
Yeah either they punted 2 times in the last to games or else they haven't at all...can't remember.

ndbj52
12-15-2011, 06:15 AM
I was wondering this also. We seem to be strong in the kicking game. Voigtlander seems to be getting stronger every game and Jastrom has been good with the field goals and really great at getting the ball deep on kickoffs. We are pretty strong at covering to and the return game has been good especially with Marcus returning kickoffs. I don't think any team has out played us so far in this area all season.

SportsLover
12-15-2011, 09:05 AM
Yeah either they punted 2 times in the last to games or else they haven't at all...can't remember.

You are correct. They have punted two times the last two games. Most of their fourth downs are short and they are confident in going for it. They have pretty good returners but our coverage has been pretty dang good this year. Their coverage isn't that great they have given up some big returns . Hopefully we can get some decent returns and good field position with marcus and ryan returning. (crosses fingers that he is at full speed). Their kicker is pretty spot on I think he is 12-14 this season.

gsu2583
12-15-2011, 09:18 AM
Charlie Edwards (punter), NCAA stats say 29 punts this year averaging 42 yards. As the offense has gotten better the season, we have seen him less and less, primarily because if we get into a 4th-and-less-than-two we tend to go for it. He's only punted once or twice in the past two games.

Billy Greer (kicker) doesn't peg to many into the endzone, usually goes between the 5 and 10.

Adrian Mora is our PK and hold the FCS record for consecutive PATs made. 12 of 14 on FGs this year I believe.

Personally I think our kickoff coverage is wretched (worst aspect of our game.)

BisonPride72
12-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Personally I think our kickoff coverage is wretched (worst aspect of our game.)

Hopefully you go the JMU route and kick every kickoff out of bounds then.

GSUEagles#1
12-15-2011, 02:51 PM
Laron Scott (our Kick returner) has had some good returns this year (most notably Alabama) & D. Robinson on Punts (App State) .... Unfortunately most teams don't kick to them anymore. Maine usually pooched it to about the 40 yard line...

oldfart
12-15-2011, 03:11 PM
Only punted once since the 3rd quarter of the Alabama game. That was at the end of last week's Maine(@2:30 in 4th) game as we were trying to run out the clock and they were calling timeouts. We just ran 3 dives up the middle, safe plays, so as not to fumble. We were killing time, not trying to score. We usually go for it on 4th and less than 2. I think we are around 80% on 4th downs. Converted 3 against 'bama so we do get a good initial push. Unless someone guesses right and blows through the line and blows the play up, we'll gain 2-3 yards irregardless. Where we shoot ourselves in the foot is fumbled pitches and motion penalties leading to 2nd and 3rd and long. Occasionally we get a hold or chop block and that can kill a drive. I'm concerned about your defense's penetration for this one. I think yall may have the biggest and quickest line we've played against, probably as good as 'bama, but we'll see how it goes. Saturday cannot get here fast enough!!!

gsu2583
12-15-2011, 03:15 PM
I think we are around 80% on 4th downs.

Only 50% (10 of 20) though lately they have been money for us.