PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Game Questions

EagleSC
12-14-2011, 11:05 PM
I LOVE a good tailgate before the game. I'm sure I'm going to be freezing my gonads off but I still love a good tailgate. What are the "rules" about drinking in that parking lot (keep in mind that we probably won't have one set up for ourselves, rather just grazing through the parking lot trying to stir up some trouble? Do I need to have it in a cup? Is it ok to walk around with it or do I need to keep it limited to when I'm at someone's tailgate?

Anyone have any advice on things I should take time to go see/do, bars to hit up while I'm there? I'm actually getting into town tomorrow at noon and none of my friends are showing up till Friday afternoon. Obviously, I don't want to just sit in the hotel all Thursday and Friday.

Any advice would be appreciated!

See y'all soon!

JustinTyem
12-14-2011, 11:12 PM
I LOVE a good tailgate before the game. I'm sure I'm going to be freezing my gonads off but I still love a good tailgate. What are the "rules" about drinking in that parking lot (keep in mind that we probably won't have one set up for ourselves, rather just grazing through the parking lot trying to stir up some trouble? Do I need to have it in a cup? Is it ok to walk around with it or do I need to keep it limited to when I'm at someone's tailgate?

Anyone have any advice on things I should take time to go see/do, bars to hit up while I'm there? I'm actually getting into town tomorrow at noon and none of my friends are showing up till Friday afternoon. Obviously, I don't want to just sit in the hotel all Thursday and Friday.

See y'all soon!Hit the http://www.buffalowildwings.com/

DjKyRo
12-14-2011, 11:13 PM
You're going to enjoy the NDSU tailgate. I'm sure someone has the comprehensive list of rules somewhere, but the biggest one is that you can't have any alcohol brands visible - just have to drink out of a mug or cup or something. Bring a loaded cooler and you're good to go. Also no turkey fryers.

Aside from that, just walk around and chat with people - most folks are glad to welcome some out-of-towners to their tailgate and the food you'll get is second to none. Make sure you swing by and introduce yourself at the Horny Bison Tailgate.

Oh, and for postgame, Labby's (right east of the FD, corner of 19th and University) and the Turf (a few blocks south on University) are the two big ones near campus. If you can drive or grab a cab, the downtown bar area is fantastic and has about 15-20 bars that will be packed with students and is only about a five minute drive from the Dome barring traffic.

CAS4127
12-14-2011, 11:18 PM
You r welcome to join our tailgate. As for rules, I am on my IPhone so my posting ability is worse than normal, but others will fill u in shortly. Tailgating is in west lot only, u can walk around with plastic or insulated mugs, most people will have heaters where u can warm up, there will be food galore, u won't automatically get the shit kicked out of u and u will have a good time. More to come I am sure . . .

EagleSC
12-14-2011, 11:21 PM
That's great to hear (walking around with beverages). I think there's going to be a large contengent of GSU fans at the BW3's across the street saturday morning around 9:30 or so. But there are plenty of us that like to mingle so I'm sure we'll stumble our way over to the tailgating lots to see who we can run into prior to the game.

Anyone have any suggestions for things I can do tomorrow? At least a couple of good watering holes to sample some of the finest craft brews that Fargo has to offer?

imabison
12-14-2011, 11:31 PM
That's great to hear (walking around with beverages). I think there's going to be a large contengent of GSU fans at the BW3's across the street saturday morning around 9:30 or so. But there are plenty of us that like to mingle so I'm sure we'll stumble our way over to the tailgating lots to see who we can run into prior to the game.

Anyone have any suggestions for things I can do tomorrow? At least a couple of good watering holes to sample some of the finest craft brews that Fargo has to offer?

Let see Craft Beers are becoming more wide spread in the area, but here are some but not all.
Gastro Pub, Fargo
JL Beers Fargo, West Fargo, and Moorhead
Monks Pub, Moorhead
Hodo, Fargo
Atomic Coffee, Moorhead, yes a coffee shop that has craft beers.
Dempseys Irish Pub, Fargo
BWW3, Fargo, and Moorhead have good craft beers.
Side Street Fargo
Granite City, Fargo

Thats a bunch, not nearly all.

westnodak93bison
12-14-2011, 11:51 PM
Only an idiot would freeze their gonads off. Dealing with winter means being smart and prepared. Dress for the occasion and you will enjoy yourself.

NorthernBison
12-15-2011, 12:28 AM
Let see Craft Beers are becoming more wide spread in the area, but here are some but not all.
Gastro Pub, Fargo
JL Beers Fargo, West Fargo, and Moorhead
Monks Pub, Moorhead
Hodo, Fargo
Atomic Coffee, Moorhead, yes a coffee shop that has craft beers.
Dempseys Irish Pub, Fargo
BWW3, Fargo, and Moorhead have good craft beers.
Side Street Fargo
Granite City, Fargo

Thats a bunch, not nearly all.

This^^^^^^^

When imabison talks beer you better listen. CAS knows football, ima is a fricken beer expert.

aces1180
12-15-2011, 01:00 AM
Only an idiot would freeze their gonads off. Dealing with winter means being smart and prepared. Dress for the occasion and you will enjoy yourself.

Danny Kristo

Tatanka
12-15-2011, 01:02 AM

See y'all soon!

Check your PM

Hammerhead
12-15-2011, 01:12 AM
If you like Mexican fast food, hit The Taco Shop. Just take University (the one way) south from the campus. It just past the first railroad underpass and it's right across from Chub's Pub.

Since our Georgian friends probably don't have much for winter clothes, I recommend the old standby of peppermint schnapps and hot chocolate. That's what kept us warm when we sat outside at Dacotah Field.

Wally
12-15-2011, 01:16 AM
Danny Kristo

:rofl::rofl:

bisondad
12-15-2011, 01:43 AM
Hey Eagle - I hope you have a great time in Fargo. We had the opportunity to visit GSU when the Bison played there a few years back. Let me tell you, Bison fans, these folks know how to tailgate at Georgia Southern. Can't remember what you call the tent area, but just awesome. The fans were totally classy also. We thought it may get a bit rough, especially with the Bison coming to GSU's house and winning, but the fans were totally class. Lots of food and beer afterwards from the GSU fans. They would actually invite us into their tailgates as we were walking by and insisted we eat, drink and hang out. Very, Very fun trip. I told my son, Nate, to take it all in. This is what southern football looks like and you have to appreciate it when you see it. Looking forward to a huge game (and a Bison win) but excited to actually see the 6 time champions in the Fargodome. Enjoy!!!

SafeTeeJ
12-15-2011, 01:58 AM
y'all like to catfish? try you luck in the Red River. they might be a little sluggish this time of the year, however. but dats fish'in.

Da_Bizon
12-15-2011, 02:03 AM
Danny Kristo

I love it!

Deuce
12-15-2011, 02:07 AM
Danny Kristo

Haven't laughed this hard for a awhile!

kab1one
12-15-2011, 02:10 AM
Do the downtown bar scene. Old Broadway, Sports Bar, Rooters, Ho Do, Montes, Bismarck, Empire, Dempsey's, Montes, all within 3/4 blocks. Will have a big college vibe.

If you are staying by West Acres Mall, Big D's, Bucks, The Penalty Box, Holiday inn (blacjack losses support Bison Teammakers). So lots of choices.

CAS4127
12-15-2011, 02:11 AM
So the smack has ended-->me likes!! Bison fans, we r in for a major battle--we really r!! This is the best team to ever show in the FFD, bar none. We have to play the best game we have played at this level, period. This is big for NDSU football!! This is a very good FB TEAM.

IndyBison
12-15-2011, 02:54 AM
Do people up there still use the phrase, "There's no such thing as bad weather just bad clothing."?

DjKyRo
12-15-2011, 03:51 AM
Wasn't sure where to post this but wanted to share a Lehigh fan's thoughts from last week:

I would also like to extend my sincere thanks for the incredible hospitality my group and I received in Fargo. The tailgate experience was incredible and we felt like we were at an NFL or FBS game. Your generosity was unmatched as we walked through your tailgates and you welcomed us with open arms, offered us beer and food, took pictures with us and were just so welcoming and appreciative that we made the 1400 mile trek. You fans are nothing like fans on the East Coast. If we would have walked through Delaware tailgates like that we would have been cursed at and spit on. We almost didn't get into the game on time because we were having so much fun, and the weather was beautiful. The Fargodome was the best FCS stadium experience I have been a part of, from the band presentation to the Thunderstruck entrance (I'm an AC/DC nut by the way), to the enthusiasm of the fans. It was the loudest environment I've ever seen Lehigh play in. Everyone was so respectful, wishing our team luck and wishing us well on the journey home. The experience was so great that I almost for a moment did not care who won the game. Congratulations Lehigh on a great season, and congratulations and good luck to the Bison against Georgia Southern. You made a fan out of me and I hope you take the National Championship back to Fargo!

HoopsBison
12-15-2011, 03:55 AM
Wasn't sure where to post this but wanted to share a Lehigh fan's thoughts from last week:
I would also like to extend my sincere thanks for the incredible hospitality my group and I received in Fargo. The tailgate experience was incredible and we felt like we were at an NFL or FBS game. Your generosity was unmatched as we walked through your tailgates and you welcomed us with open arms, offered us beer and food, took pictures with us and were just so welcoming and appreciative that we made the 1400 mile trek. You fans are nothing like fans on the East Coast. If we would have walked through Delaware tailgates like that we would have been cursed at and spit on. We almost didn't get into the game on time because we were having so much fun, and the weather was beautiful. The Fargodome was the best FCS stadium experience I have been a part of, from the band presentation to the Thunderstruck entrance (I'm an AC/DC nut by the way), to the enthusiasm of the fans. It was the loudest environment I've ever seen Lehigh play in. Everyone was so respectful, wishing our team luck and wishing us well on the journey home. The experience was so great that I almost for a moment did not care who won the game. Congratulations Lehigh on a great season, and congratulations and good luck to the Bison against Georgia Southern. You made a fan out of me and I hope you take the National Championship back to Fargo!

I love being a Bison...well done guys!

SafeTeeJ
12-15-2011, 03:57 AM
North Dakota Nice

GSU204
12-15-2011, 04:07 AM
Hey SC (and like minded NDSU fans) i'll keep a look out for you. I'll be with a friend arriving friday night and we'll probably spend time at the BWW staying at the Homewood. Feel free to PM me on here or on GSUFans (KCEagle-I try not to post much on our own site, I remember you thought about making Woffie last year). I would love to meet up and talk some football, and I should be able to hold my own. Thanks also for the kind words about the Georgia Southern scene. The trash talk can be amusing, but i'm sure all of our fans are in agreement with y'all that things change in person. A tailgate isn't a tailgate if you don't invite others and share. Nobody likes drinking alone! I just hope you guys get to make the trip back to Statesboro next time in the playoffs.

90 BISON
12-15-2011, 05:17 AM
Hey SC (and like minded NDSU fans) i'll keep a look out for you. I'll be with a friend arriving friday night and we'll probably spend time at the BWW staying at the Homewood. Feel free to PM me on here or on GSUFans (KCEagle-I try not to post much on our own site, I remember you thought about making Woffie last year). I would love to meet up and talk some football, and I should be able to hold my own. Thanks also for the kind words about the Georgia Southern scene. The trash talk can be amusing, but i'm sure all of our fans are in agreement with y'all that things change in person. A tailgate isn't a tailgate if you don't invite others and share. Nobody likes drinking alone! I just hope you guys get to make the trip back to Statesboro next time in the playoffs.

We like hosting fine thanks, :) but welcome to Fargo I hope you enjoy our hospitality, and I am sure these two schools will meet again for other playoff games!

jimmyptubas
12-15-2011, 05:26 AM
Eagles SC...check your PM....

MNLonghorn10
12-15-2011, 02:43 PM
Green bus parked in the trees...frisco cruiser painted on the side...youll hear us...stop by for rummy bears, shots, and a das boot.

Bison03
12-15-2011, 04:12 PM
Here are the rules: http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=1264858

Midwest hospitality is a lot like southern hospitality. Don't be intimidated to come to the tailgate lot. The fans there are hardcore football fans and love to talk football. I always like talking to visiting fans, especially if they are dedicated enough to travel a long distance. It should be great weather (at least for December in Fargo standards.) Safe travels to those on their way and we will see you Eagles soon.

heffray
12-15-2011, 04:46 PM

The only Fargoan Craft Brew out there is the Woodchipper IPA, and I'm not sure where else it is, but they have it at Labby's. Not the BEST IPA ever, not really unique in any way, but certainly worth a try. If you can find a place that has Surly Furious, (out of Brooklyn Center, MN) this is the best beer in the area in my opinion.

NDSU_grad
12-15-2011, 04:59 PM
The only Fargoan Craft Brew out there is the Woodchipper IPA, and I'm not sure where else it is, but they have it at Labby's. Not the BEST IPA ever, not really unique in any way, but certainly worth a try. If you can find a place that has Surly Furious, (out of Brooklyn Center, MN) this is the best beer in the area in my opinion.
And if I remember right the Woodchipper is actually brewed in Wisconsin.

Hammersmith
12-15-2011, 05:02 PM
They've also got a Scottish Ale, but I don't know if it's hit all the bars yet. They didn't have it at Gastro last week(or was that the week before?).

heffray
12-15-2011, 05:11 PM
And if I remember right the Woodchipper is actually brewed in Wisconsin.

Yes, although I thought it was near St. Cloud somewhere, They have to outsource their brewing because of teh ND brewing laws. I'm not sure on the exact reasons, but it has something to do with that. It's the same place Fulton used to brew their stuff.

heffray
12-15-2011, 05:13 PM
They've also got a Scottish Ale, but I don't know if it's hit all the bars yet. They didn't have it at Gastro last week(or was that the week before?).

I love me a good Scottish. Sorry this is going off-topic a bit, but do you know what they named the Scottish? Naming that IPA "Woodchipper" was pure genius.

Herd Mentality
12-15-2011, 05:24 PM
The Scottish is "Stone's Throw". Had it at their unveil at Rhombus...awesome stuff.

As far as I know, Rhombus is still the only place to have it. JL was to be next.

Ross
12-15-2011, 05:31 PM
The Scottish is "Stone's Throw". Had it at their unveil at Rhombus...awesome stuff.

As far as I know, Rhombus is still the only place to have it. JL was to be next.

I noticed that they had the Stone's Throw at Sidestreet as of last Saturday when I stopped in there after the Bison game. However, I didn't sample it since I couldn't pass up the $3 Jack & Cokes. It is definitely on my list of beers to try though.

imabison
12-15-2011, 06:06 PM

Woodchipper IPA is well made, but over the top on the hops. Made in Wisconsin under contract brew. We know what they were going for, just over did it a bit. Have not had the new Scottish yet.

Surly Furious currently listed on tap at Atomic Coffee, subject to change of course.

EagleSC
12-15-2011, 07:12 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Got here safe and sound and about to head out to grab a brew or three and sample some local life.

Maybe I'll see some of y'all around!

Bison03
12-15-2011, 09:17 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Got here safe and sound and about to head out to grab a brew or three and sample some local life.

Maybe I'll see some of y'all around!

Welcome to Fargo! If you are in downtown there are lots of options but I would suggest JL Beers. Best burgers in town in my opinion and a lot of beers on tap.

Gastropub
12-15-2011, 10:05 PM

We had a keg the night they unveiled it at Rhombus and told them we wouldn't tap it until later. We've burned through that keg and now we have two more. It's going on tonight.

Gastropub
12-15-2011, 10:08 PM
Woodchipper IPA is well made, but over the top on the hops. Made in Wisconsin under contract brew. We know what they were going for, just over did it a bit. Have not had the new Scottish yet.

Surly Furious currently listed on tap at Atomic Coffee, subject to change of course.

So far as I know, we can't get Surly in Fargo (I've tried). Is that Atomic Coffee in Moorhead?

I think Monk's Pub might have it as well.

Bisonguy
12-15-2011, 10:33 PM
Yes, although I thought it was near St. Cloud somewhere, They have to outsource their brewing because of teh ND brewing laws. I'm not sure on the exact reasons, but it has something to do with that. It's the same place Fulton used to brew their stuff.

It doesn't have to do with ND laws. They wanted to get a beer on the market as soon as possible and probably lacked the capital to build their own brewing facility. If it had to do with laws Granite City wouldn't be around along with the OB back when they had a micro-brewery.

Boy
12-15-2011, 11:01 PM

I called it having a beer with the enemy!

All are welcome at our tailgate! More than enough adult beverage and food. We figure anyone willing to follow their team halfway across the country is deserving of some Fargo and NDSU hospitality. I usually walk the tailgate lot once per game to see if any opposing teams fans show up. I figure its a nice gesture to take the time to welcome them to Fargo, thank them for coming and to wish them luck. It may sound corny but if I were to travel that far to watch the Herd, I would want to know that I am welcome there and I would want to take it all in.

Look for us in a green tent, straight south of the Fargo Air Museum. 2nd row, west of the trees. Yes, there are heaters. Just walk up and say hi.

EagleSC
12-15-2011, 11:26 PM
Welcome to Fargo! If you are in downtown there are lots of options but I would suggest JL Beers. Best burgers in town in my opinion and a lot of beers on tap.

I did just that before seeing this post. Had a couple of good brews and took down a burger. Damn good place. About to head back to down town with some GSU brotha's in tow. If y'all are out, give us some s***!

56BISON73
12-15-2011, 11:38 PM
I did just that before seeing this post. Had a couple of good brews and took down a burger. Damn good place. About to head back to down town with some GSU brotha's in tow. If y'all are out, give us some s***!

Tell us where youre at.