westnodak93bison
12-14-2011, 03:27 AM
audio didnt work for me but you can see how North Carolina played vs. GA Tech

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHBO0Na1wik&feature=related

westnodak93bison
12-14-2011, 03:51 AM
here is some video of how IA defended GA Tech last year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMVT371kO5U

kind of interesting how they played their OLB right next to the DEs and the MLB kind of deep

AEKDB/Eagle
12-14-2011, 01:42 PM
I hope NDSU plays like UNC. They lost.

BisoninNWMN
12-14-2011, 01:53 PM
Pretty interesting vids.

Both teams had athletic LBers. Good penetration also is a key to disrupt the option. If Drevlow and Juckem have good games we win.

Force them into 2nd-3rd and long making them pass...we win.

IMO, our Oline will pound them in the 2nd half.

CAS4127
12-14-2011, 04:01 PM

kind of interesting how they played their OLB right next to the DEs and the MLB kind of deep

Not really. That is a fairly standard way of defending the TO. Go read my post today on the Why's of the How's of defending the TO. What I posted may or may not make sense, but maintaing the LOS is a big part of defending the TO.

oldfart
12-14-2011, 04:58 PM
But 'bama ran a 4-3.....Sorry I couldn't resist....:rofl::rofl:

(I like your emoticons btw)

westnodak93bison
12-14-2011, 06:00 PM
Not really. That is a fairly standard way of defending the TO. Go read my post today on the Why's of the How's of defending the TO. What I posted may or may not make sense, but maintaing the LOS is a big part of defending the TO.

Point taken. I meant as compared to how a 4-3 usually looks against most other offenses.

X-Factor
12-14-2011, 06:06 PM

That is about all you have got buddy

gsu2583
12-14-2011, 07:34 PM

GT sucks in bowl games because the opposing team has a month to prepare for the TO.

Just sayin'

Vitojr130
12-14-2011, 08:25 PM

Ohfercoot. Another Eagle troll.

mhyer63
12-15-2011, 03:38 AM
.................................................. F................................................. .....
C................................................. .................................................C
...............................I...........B...... ...B.........I...................................
....................................E......T...... ...T.....E........................................
X.....................................T...G...C... G...T.......................................Z
.....................................A..........Q. .........B......................................
.................................................F .................................................. ..

Corners DO NOT LOOK IN BACKFIELD EYES ON X & Z AT ALL TIMES.

A & B Gap players have dive (B & T)
C gap players have QB. (E)
D gap players have pitch. (I)
Free Safety is free hitter.

Your DLine needs to keep the OLine stuck to the LOS.
Inside backers CAN check dive and then play down hill to QB/pitch.

Read more: http://coachhuey.com/index.cgi?board=gendefense&action=display&thread=24649#ixzz1gZhqU7l5

Vitojr130
12-15-2011, 03:54 PM
.................................................. F................................................. .....
C................................................. .................................................C
...............................I...........B...... ...B.........I...................................
....................................E......T...... ...T.....E........................................
X.....................................T...G...C... G...T.......................................Z
.....................................A..........Q. .........B......................................
.................................................F .................................................. ..

Read more: http://coachhuey.com/index.cgi?board=gendefense&action=display&thread=24649#ixzz1gZhqU7l5

This is the exact defensive scheme that I thought would work best as well. The Outside Linebackers and D-ends would contain the outside pitches while the Inside Linebackers and D-tackles would contain the inside pitches and dives. Blitz a corner every time and contain uncovered WR with the free safety. This would leave man-on-man coverage for the pass defense (but they rarely pass, so this is fine) and gives us an extra man against the triple option.

bisonsupporter
12-15-2011, 04:03 PM

B guy comes in motion to the left. G pulls left, C block T, T blocks E, G pulls to get left I, Left B has to take F on the dive. That leave Q, B, & A on F.....not a ideal situation. This is the problem GSU's O presents.

Vitojr130
12-15-2011, 04:18 PM
B guy comes in motion to the left. G pulls left, C block T, T blocks E, G pulls to get left I, Left B has to take F on the dive. That leave Q, B, & A on F.....not a ideal situation. This is the problem GSU's O presents.

Our defensive line has a very good chance of completely breaking up a play like this though. The only way it will be successful is if the guards are fast enough. I have not seen their guards pull and I cannot make a comparison. All I know is that our line has spent plenty of time in the backfield and I think they will be able to break up the play.

bisonsupporter
12-15-2011, 04:25 PM
Our defensive line has a very good chance of completely breaking up a play like this though. The only way it will be successful is if the guards are fast enough. I have not seen their guards pull and I cannot make a comparison. All I know is that our line has spent plenty of time in the backfield and I think they will be able to break up the play.

If our line can get a small surge, not a big one to open cutback lanes, and the non-play side LB be fast enough to get into the play, we will hold strong.

DaltonLegalEagle
12-15-2011, 06:07 PM

I agree! Teams that control the line of scrimmage, and occasionally get penetration, give us the most problems. This year, App. State did okay with that (although we beat ourselves mostly against them), and the Citadel did a very god job of playing their assignments and not allowing a big play. Alabama surprisingly played a combination of "bend but don't break defense" and "shoot the gaps" but guessed wrong a lot, putting some defenders out of position and allowing for a big play.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
12-15-2011, 06:11 PM
But 'bama ran a 4-3.....Sorry I couldn't resist....:rofl::rofl:

(I like your emoticons btw)

Now your starting to get it. :)

DaltonLegalEagle
12-15-2011, 06:14 PM
See: (for an example of an Alabama OLB and DE guessing wrong in a 3-4 which Bama played with a 2 deep safety set a lot)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orQ0vbYBvEw

CAS4127
12-15-2011, 06:29 PM
See: (for an example of an Alabama OLB guessing wrong)

#8 for ButtBama, despite his number, is a DE. He looks like a lost Bigfoot on that play. What the hell is he doing?? The OLB would be to #8's left (didn't catch his number). He was not even involved in the play, nor should he have been. He would have been the "option" player had the QB not given it to the dive back. A Alabama was playing a 3-4 defense on this play-->not sure what they otherwise played. Did you perhaps post the wrong play, or do you just not understand football very well.

Also, and not taking anything away from your "win" over ButtBama, but it does not appear that many of the pursuing ButtBama players had much of a Give-A-Sh*t-Factor on that play once your RB took off. Also, I see that ButtBama was already up 17-Zip at that point! Additionally, I think your QB actually made the wrong read on that play, and, but for #8 taking a major dump even though he was not really even blocked, it may have gone nowhere!!

ButtBama!!

CAS4127
12-15-2011, 06:34 PM
See: (for an example of an Alabama OLB and DE guessing wrong in a 3-4 which Bama played with a 2 deep safety set a lot)

You dickwad!! You edited that while I was posting!!

Bison Dan
12-15-2011, 06:43 PM
Penetration is the key. When we ran the veer, the teams we had the most trouble against had good penetration across the line. This distrups the qb and the timing of the option. It causes wild pitches also.

Vitojr130
12-15-2011, 06:45 PM
Penetration is the key. When we ran the veer, the teams we had the most trouble against had good penetration across the line. This distrups the qb and the timing of the option. It causes wild pitches also.
Timing is everything with the option.

DaltonLegalEagle
12-15-2011, 07:42 PM
You dickwad!! You edited that while I was posting!!

Thank you sir, may I have another? You should've been more patient!

OnlyBlue
12-15-2011, 07:46 PM

Honestly, its not completely different from other offenses. The option thrives off of getting number advantages. 5 vs. 4 is typically the advantage we are looking for. But if your 4 can somehow beat our 5 then it won't matter and the play is gonna get blown up. However, that is a big IF.

Vitojr130
12-15-2011, 07:50 PM
Honestly, its not completely different from other offenses. The option thrives off of getting number advantages. 5 vs. 4 is typically the advantage we are looking for. But if your 4 can somehow beat our 5 then it won't matter and the play is gonna get blown up. However, that is a big IF.

I'm not sure how you came up with a 5 x 4 advantage for the option. As far as I know, it is 5 (RB's and WR's) vs. 7 (Linebackers, Corners, and Safety)....

bisonsupporter
12-15-2011, 08:01 PM
I'm not sure how you came up with a 5 x 4 advantage for the option. As far as I know, it is 5 (RB's and WR's) vs. 7 (Linebackers, Corners, and Safety)....

I thought the purpose of an option is 2 vs 1. You make the defender option which person he is going to take.

Vitojr130
12-15-2011, 08:16 PM
I thought the purpose of an option is 2 vs 1. You make the defender option which person he is going to take.

Only if everyone sticks to their assignments, even after they see who has the ball...