PDA

View Full Version : Perspective before Saturday's game:

TheBisonator
12-12-2011, 10:18 AM
Seeing as Bison football is two wins away from winning the NCAA Division I Football Championship, I decided to go back and read a funny, hilarious article from UND's student newspaper written the week we played our first DI game.

Here is the article, in its entirety:

Despite win, NDSU football still sucks

By Derrik T. Sovak (http://www.dakotastudent.com/search?q=Derrik T. Sovak)
Published: Tuesday, August 31, 2004
Updated: Sunday, November 8, 2009 01:11

I thought that I might have trouble writing this column. But after I reviewed all the facts surrounding our overzealous neighbors to the south at North Dakota State, I realized that talking shit about them just gets easier and easier.

On Saturday, NDSU hosted Valparaiso to a crowd of just over 18,000. They absolutely stomped Valpo to the tune of 52-0. As I watched local sports highlights and saw all of the Bison players patting each other's back for the ousting, I wondered how they were going to look at themselves in the mirror without laughing.

Note to NDSU: Valparaiso offers no scholarships to their players. That means that they have less of a recruiting pool than Bethune-Cookman. Valpo also plays in the Pioneer Football League, which is almost as prestigious as NDSU's Great West Conference. Both these conferences look like the island of misfit schools. And when you get two teams like the Bison and the Crusaders on the field it's almost a toss up.

The Bison were a sub-par team in Division II football last year, and the Crusaders finished 8-4 without a playoff appearance last season. So what happened in Fargo on Saturday was as far away from amazing as you can get without actually being at the Neverland Ranch.

Everyone is so excited around the NDSU campus. Football means something to these people. But I feel it my duty to be the asshole and let them in on a little secret. For the next decade, NDSU football will be as arbitrary as paying .40 cents for ranch at Buffalo Wild Wings after running up a $500 bar tab.

Saturday's matchup was between two unranked schools in leagues that mean nothing to anyone. A win is a win but when I'd still rather watch a team of midgets play a team of chimpanzees.

This is an old argument. I said it last year, and it's no secret that I think NDSU's move to DI was a terrible decision. So I don't want NDSU to get their hopes up too high. If they really think that every team they play in that other Division is going to lie down and take it like its their first time, they're wrong.

Just like when the Bison were getting crushed by DII teams every weekend, they will face a team that hands them a 52-0 loss and then we in Grand Forks will hear the griping and crying from the south. And I can say proudly that I saw it coming.

On the other hand, UND had a barn-burner against Delta State - the number 2 and 10 teams in the country - in GF on Saturday. I witnessed great things in that game and there's a chance that we could see those teams meet again in the near future. Valpo won't be back in Fargo unless either they or the Bison need to fill their already defunct schedules next season.

I feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that at UND football still has pride. I like knowing that, even though we're "only Division II" we still can watch two ranked teams play in a city like Grand Forks. It makes for good football, which we won't see in Fargo for a long time.

It also came to my attention that NDSU has revolutionized college football by introducing something called tailgating at their games.

Take this as you may, but your football program is not going to prosper any faster just because some freshman had a beer before the game. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm going to wait with bated breath for the Montana Tech game in a couple of weeks.

R.I.P. Bison Athletics.

It makes me feel very good to read it.

ndsubison1
12-12-2011, 10:35 AM
http://driscolltheque.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/simpsons_nelson_haha2.gif?w=500

DjKyRo
12-12-2011, 10:42 AM
I wonder what this Mr. Sovak is doing nowadays, because he probably isn't holding a respectable spot in a journal of any kind. If I tried to submit an article to the Spectrum like this, laced with profanity and obviously unfounded smack, I'd be laughed out of the office before I could get a word in edgewise; and that's before considering it even getting printed.

I couldn't care less about the opinion (besides the fact that the irony is thick enough to be cut by a knife right now) but the method in which it's delivered and the fact that it made print tells me all I need to know about how seriously the UND student body takes a publication like this. As a student of journalism, I'm embarrassed.

BisonTeacher
12-12-2011, 11:09 AM
Sioux Suck.

unbison
12-12-2011, 11:42 AM
nice find nator................i say we have a bisonville witch hunt to find this fool and get his comments on bison athletics now............i predict but but hockey

EmbdenBison
12-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Great find. This is hilarious!

NDSU92
12-12-2011, 12:18 PM
This is the most ironic thing I have ever seen in my entire life

BISON Thunder
12-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Going back to when this letter was submitted, reminds me of another thing...Mr. Joe Chapman. In my opinion, we would not be enjoying this great run without the great foresight of Mr. Chapman. Not saying everything he did was perfect, but hats off to Joe...and thank you.

NorthernBison
12-12-2011, 12:44 PM
nice find nator................i say we have a bisonville witch hunt to find this fool and get his comments on bison athletics now............i predict but but hockey

One of the guys in our tailgating group has this article saved and sends it out whenever we need a laugh. I believe somebody also once sent me a Facebook page from this fool. If I remember correctly, he plays in a band that has had some limited success. So, not a COMPLETE failure.

UND, on the other hand, has suffered most of what he predicted for NDSU. BIG DIFFERENCE in the transitions. But, we already know that.

WYOBISONMAN
12-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Nice find Bisonator!!!! And today we find the Bison two wins from the National Championship, playing on National TV (in HD no less). When we look up north we see an institution mired in controversy over the nick name, teh hockies are sucking this year, the FB coach has to find sunshine in playing well despite losing the game. Oh how sweet it is to be a BISON FAN!

MinotBison
12-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Sioux Suck.

...and always have.

CaBisonFan
12-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Going back to when this letter was submitted, reminds me of another thing...Mr. Joe Chapman. In my opinion, we would not be enjoying this great run without the great foresight of Mr. Chapman. Not saying everything he did was perfect, but hats off to Joe...and thank you.

Yep...and we allowed mostly UND politicians to take him down because he spent a lot of money...like he was told to do.

This letter/article was very typical of the UND attitude toward our move. It's a big part of the reason why I don't want the games to continue.

It's a motivator for me also...to want a national championship. But we've already done enough to make them turn green several times.

Professor Chaos
12-12-2011, 02:24 PM
This is the most ironic thing I have ever seen in my entire life
What's even more ironic? The writer is the lead man for a "punk" band.... http://www.purevolume.com/fairenough

mango
12-12-2011, 02:38 PM
I wonder what this Mr. Sovak is doing nowadays, because he probably isn't holding a respectable spot in a journal of any kind. If I tried to submit an article to the Spectrum like this, laced with profanity and obviously unfounded smack, I'd be laughed out of the office before I could get a word in edgewise; and that's before considering it even getting printed.

I couldn't care less about the opinion (besides the fact that the irony is thick enough to be cut by a knife right now) but the method in which it's delivered and the fact that it made print tells me all I need to know about how seriously the UND student body takes a publication like this. As a student of journalism, I'm embarrassed.

What he said.

How that even got close to being published is beyond me. After that was published, some higher up from the school should have gone to the editors and advisor (if they have one, which I doubt because this got published) and made some serious changes. Having an opinion is fine, presenting it like this is unacceptable.

cracker
12-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Wonder what he thought about all the "great football" in GF this season against Drake, Montana Western and Black Hills State? Oh, he probably wasn't there, along with all of the other people that don't fill the Alerus on Saturdays.

Tatanka
12-12-2011, 02:57 PM
What's even more ironic? The writer is the lead man for a "punk" band.... http://www.purevolume.com/fairenough

http://g.purevolumecdn.com/cdnImages/resize_568x1500/-553-1103272883-pic02.jpg

Yep, that's him on the left with the UND standard salute. Put your hat on straight, son. You look like a douche.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
12-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Hows this for irony:

I noticed they have a song titled "You get (what you deserve)"

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

THEsocalledfan
12-12-2011, 03:01 PM
What he said.

How that even got close to being published is beyond me. After that was published, some higher up from the school should have gone to the editors and advisor (if they have one, which I doubt because this got published) and made some serious changes. Having an opinion is fine, presenting it like this is unacceptable.

So, mango, have we turned you into a closet NDSU fan? I see you have not been able to shake us.......

ndsubison1
12-12-2011, 03:01 PM

the late 90s and early 00s called, they want their music back

mango
12-12-2011, 03:08 PM
So, mango, have we turned you into a closet NDSU fan? I see you have not been able to shake us.......

Not quite, your board is more active and entertaining than the SDSU board.

I am cheering for the Bison throughout the playoffs though.

IndyBison
12-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Found an older discussion about this article...

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?13095-Hate-To-Say-We-Told-You-So-But-...

ndsubison1
12-12-2011, 03:11 PM
and is it really surprising this type of article came from teh community college up north?

Bison03
12-12-2011, 03:15 PM
I love reading this article. I have it saved on my computer and have reread it a couple of times. Like after the football games vs Minnesota in '07 and '11, Central Michigan, Ball State, and Kansas. After winning basketball games vs Wisconsin, Marquette, and making the NCAA tournament. After each of the 26 or so times we have had a sport win a conference championship in the past 5 years. Every time I see und do the exact thing he predicts will happen to NDSU. Ok, I guess I have read it a lot. I probably have it close to memorized. The truth is that his statements represent what a lot of und fans hoped and predicted would happen to the Bison when they went DI. The und _______ have a lot of work to do to even come close to what NDSU has accomplished at the DI level.

Bison05
12-12-2011, 03:20 PM

Kyle hit it on the head with what he said. Well put. Articles like this consistently set a new low in journalistic integrity. How little respect must you have for your publication to less something like that even get printed? Rarely do I read anything relating to UND with a huge smile on my face, but that was the case here. Great find!

walknroehl
12-12-2011, 04:10 PM
LOL. I love that article.

Looks like this band has a future as the house band at Hot Topic.

NDSUstudent
12-12-2011, 04:30 PM
How did this guy not a get a job at the GF Herald?

TAILG8R
12-12-2011, 04:33 PM

Lack of the words Hockey or DI championships in his writing.

Bison03
12-12-2011, 04:35 PM

I would think his mentor Virg Foss could hook him up.

jimmyptubas
12-12-2011, 06:39 PM
I was not living in Fargo in 2004 and had to follow the switch to DI from afar. I missed out on reading things like this article so thanks Bisonator for bringing it to my attention!

BisonTeacher
12-12-2011, 06:42 PM
...and always have.

And always will. I can only pray that those are my child's first words.

MNLonghorn10
12-12-2011, 06:45 PM

awesome.

Stats: 7 fans / 589 plays / 0 plays today

soo their their moms and probably boyfriends are the fans?

RowdyRabbit
12-12-2011, 06:46 PM
That article made me giggle on the inside.

bri-dog
12-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Lack of the words Hockey or DI championships in his writing.

I assumed he was talking about hockey when he said this...

"I'd still rather watch a team of midgets play a team of chimpanzees."

TbonZach
12-12-2011, 08:06 PM
I assumed he was talking about hockey when he said this...

"I'd still rather watch a team of midgets play a team of chimpanzees."

I'm not so sure. If he had said "I'd still rather watch a team of Canadian midgets play a team of chimpanzees" then I would completely agree.

EmbdenBison
12-12-2011, 10:11 PM
I would think his mentor Virg Foss could hook him up.

Speaking of Virg Foss, I wonder what he thinks of the attendence at our playoff games this year. What a douchebag for writing that article last year when we had one of the highest attended games during that Thanksgiving weekend albeit not a sellout.

CaBisonFan
12-12-2011, 10:12 PM

Or the forum...to assist McFeely.

Mr. Burgundy
12-12-2011, 11:02 PM

Yep, that's him on the left with the UND standard salute. Put your hat on straight, son. You look like a douche.

Please tell me this is a joke. Is that really him in this photo? Does he work at Scheels? The old short sleeve dress shirt with the tie look? Sweet. Is he really in a band, and if so, someone please keep the band's schedule on Bisonville....I think we need a team outing. I am buying. Book that.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
12-12-2011, 11:09 PM
Please tell me this is a joke. Is that really him in this photo? Does he work at Scheels? The old short sleeve dress shirt with the tie look? Sweet. Is he really in a band, and if so, someone please keep the band's schedule on Bisonville....I think we need a team outing. I am buying. Book that.

"Shit just got real"..............................

Count me in.

BisonTeacher
12-12-2011, 11:12 PM
"Shit just got real"..............................

Count me in.

I can see it now. Between songs chant....Sioux Suck Sh*t!!! Shioux Suck Sh*t!!!

BlueBisonRock
12-12-2011, 11:16 PM
I can see it now. Between songs chant....Sioux Suck Sh*t!!! Shioux Suck Sh*t!!!

It would be worth the trip!

*Bisonrube
12-12-2011, 11:32 PM
Classic...love it.

bisonranch
12-13-2011, 12:10 AM
There are probably 50 Ryan Bakken and Virg Foss articles with the same entertainment value archived somewhere.

I was thinking how duped those guys must feel now about their asenine predictions were all way off and then I realized....I don't care :D

Tatanka
12-13-2011, 12:15 AM
http://www.und.edu/org/PhiDelt/sovakchoristor.jpg
@Burgandy: yep, that's him.

http://www.und.nodak.edu/org/PhiDelt/savakcampus.jpg

TheBisonator
12-13-2011, 02:38 AM
http://www.und.edu/org/PhiDelt/sovakchoristor.jpg

Oh Lord help me.........:facepalm:

ndsubison1
12-13-2011, 02:42 AM
this guy is a winner. winners win

aces1180
12-13-2011, 02:52 AM
According to a Google search, he also has Type 1 Diabetes...

http://www.holytaco.com/wp-content/uploads/photo/66/8347/Hip-New-Wilford-Brimley-Diabetes-Campaign.jpg

TbonZach
12-13-2011, 02:56 AM
According to a Google search, he also has Type 1 Diabetes...

http://www.holytaco.com/wp-content/uploads/photo/66/8347/Hip-New-Wilford-Brimley-Diabetes-Campaign.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KICIOYlZTr8

bisonpride4ever
12-13-2011, 02:57 AM
You can never forget this classic line: They'll never play a worthwhile game in Division I EVER AGAIN!!!" -Dave DeLand

TheBisonator
12-13-2011, 03:04 AM
You can never forget this classic line: They'll never play a worthwhile game in Division I EVER AGAIN!!!" -Dave DeLand

Some funny quotes from that Dave DeLand article:

Is North Dakota State — which won five Division II national football titles between 1983 and 1990 — ever going to play in a meaningful Division I game? Is it ever going to be in a major conference, or contend for a national title? Highly improbable.

Yes, the NCC defectors officially moved up a category. Their reward: Exponentially higher travel costs and the loss of traditional rivalries, all just so you can say you're "big-time." Which they're not, and never will be: They're deluding themselves to think otherwise.

And that's too bad, because they had a good thing going. The NCC had rivalries, and proximity, and quality competition. It was as good as Division II had to offer, and from this vantage point it looked a lot better than the Football Championship Series (or whatever name the NCAA devises for the lipstick they're putting on that pig).

Bigger isn't always better: sometimes, it's exactly the opposite. And someday, even the most star-struck expatriates of the NCC might see things that way.

DjKyRo
12-13-2011, 03:26 AM
Some funny quotes from that Dave DeLand article:

I know this particular article has been dissected to death on BV, but this part will always bother me the most:

And that's too bad, because they had a good thing going. The NCC had rivalries, and proximity, and quality competition. It was as good as Division II had to offer, and from this vantage point it looked a lot better than the Football Championship Series (or whatever name the NCAA devises for the lipstick they're putting on that pig).

Seriously, what journalist deliberately remains in ignorance of a subject they're writing about? Do you have any dedication to your craft to even do a quick google search on "FCS" and click the wikipedia link that shows up? Jesus.

Bison03
08-28-2013, 07:40 PM
In honor of und playing Valparasio tomorrow; I thought it would be appropriate to bump up this thread for some perspective and entertainment. After all we have accomplished since this douschbag wrote this, I can still look back at this article and smile knowing how wrong his wishful thinking turned out to be.

BisonTeacher
08-28-2013, 07:53 PM
In honor of und playing Valparasio tomorrow; I thought it would be appropriate to bump up this thread for some perspective and entertainment. After all we have accomplished since this douschbag wrote this, I can still look back at this article and smile knowing how wrong his wishful thinking turned out to be.

Just to be clear...you are talking about the person who wrote the article. Not the person who posted the thread about the article. Most people will figure it out, but it took me a second.

Bison03
08-28-2013, 07:58 PM
Just to be clear...you are talking about the person who wrote the article. Not the person who posted the thread about the article. Most people will figure it out, but it took me a second.

Yes, obviously the douschbag I am talking about is Derrik T. Sovak; guy who wrote the article. I give props to TheBisonator who found and ooriginally posted it.

Hammerhead
08-28-2013, 08:12 PM
I'm not sure what's funnier -- UND finally moving up years later than NDSU and SDSU or having to open with Valpo while we play a "meaningful" game :)

WYOBISONMAN
08-28-2013, 09:03 PM
Bisonator made some great post......this one still lives on and is so true this very season!

HoopsBison
08-28-2013, 09:09 PM
RIP Nator

Article is just full of funnies...

THEsocalledfan
08-28-2013, 09:16 PM
RIP Nator. I loved it when he posted this, and am darn glad he was around for the 2 titles. I gave him positive rep on the post, belatedly.

My favorite line:

"Take this as you may, but your football program is not going to prosper any faster just because some freshman had a beer before the game."

Bison03
08-28-2013, 09:24 PM
RIP Nator. I loved it when he posted this, and am darn glad he was around for the 2 titles. I gave him positive rep on the post, belatedly.

My favorite line:

"Take this as you may, but your football program is not going to prosper any faster just because some freshman had a beer before the game."

That line is pretty funny when you consider the hockey team/freshman/overdrink fiasco last fall in GF.

Dakid3kc
08-28-2013, 09:39 PM
That made me laugh. Irony all around, and I believe that UND plays Valpo to open the season. Go Bison!

Tony Almeida
08-29-2013, 12:54 AM
Someone needs to post that article on their message board, if they have one, and highlight Valpo and other significant quotes by that douche bag...

I would love to find him now and hear what he has to say. Somebody please track him down!

BisonFan02
08-29-2013, 01:36 AM
Someone needs to post that article on their message board, if they have one, and highlight Valpo and other significant quotes by that douche bag...

I would love to find him now and hear what he has to say. Somebody please track him down!

I threw it up on AGS in the smack forum....now we wait.

Professor Chaos
08-29-2013, 01:57 AM
9 years later Derrik Sovak is doing really well for himself. Two DWI arrests and convictions since his foray into collegiate athletic prognostication (Minnesota court record search (http://pa.courts.state.mn.us/Search.aspx?ID=100)).

His mug shot just screams UND football pride: http://www.bustedmugshots.com/minnesota/eden-prairie/derrik-thomas-sovak/110992391

jimmyptubas
08-29-2013, 02:20 PM
RIP Nator.

We lost bisonator? I knew he had cancer :-( when did this happen?

KSBisonFan
08-29-2013, 02:24 PM

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?30386-RIP-TheBisonator

DjKyRo
08-29-2013, 02:47 PM
9 years later Derrik Sovak is doing really well for himself. Two DWI arrests and convictions since his foray into collegiate athletic prognostication (Minnesota court record search (http://pa.courts.state.mn.us/Search.aspx?ID=100)).

His mug shot just screams UND football pride: http://www.bustedmugshots.com/minnesota/eden-prairie/derrik-thomas-sovak/110992391

All of my positive rep.

devin45k
08-29-2013, 02:47 PM

Damn.....I didn't know this either.....I know he is going to be watching the Bison wherever he is

dewey
08-29-2013, 03:11 PM
Sioux Suck.

Amen! Very ironic given who the Whioux play this weekend:)

Go Bison!

Dewey

BisonFan02
08-29-2013, 03:15 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?138065-In-Honor-of-UND-s-upcoming-week-1-matchup-with-Valpo-Thursday-night

Probably need a username to read, but enjoy.

GOBISON123
08-29-2013, 09:50 PM
http://www.ndsuspectrum.com/sports/bohl-lacks-confidence-1.3053055#.Uh_BP9I3vXo

:facepalm::facepalm:

56BISON73
08-29-2013, 09:57 PM

This hack needs to kicked in the nut sack. That is if he has one.

devin45k
08-29-2013, 09:57 PM

Can I add another :facepalm:

GOBISON123
08-29-2013, 10:00 PM

This kid is a punk who thinks he knows everything.

aces1180
08-29-2013, 11:19 PM
Good luck EVER getting access to coaches or players...

Hansel
08-29-2013, 11:31 PM
A Minot Daily News writer (I believe a UND grad) also wrote an article about how "NDSU polished a Turd" after the Valpo game

tjbison
08-29-2013, 11:35 PM
A Minot Daily News writer (I believe a UND grad) also wrote an article about how "NDSU polished a Turd" after the Valpo game

I put more credibility in a polished turd than anything that comes from the Mindrot Daily

westnodak93bison
08-29-2013, 11:37 PM
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

westnodak93bison
08-29-2013, 11:37 PM
Stupid article

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

onbison09
08-30-2013, 12:50 AM

Jason Feldman. A complete asshat.

NorthernBison
08-30-2013, 01:17 AM

The story was obviously written by a loser who knows nothing regarding the actual facts of the situation.

MAKBison
08-30-2013, 02:14 AM
This kid gets the vaunted
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Can I add another :facepalm:

Mayville Bison
08-30-2013, 01:08 PM
The story was obviously written by a loser who knows nothing regarding the actual facts of the situation.

Very true, but unfortunately this is what the public is thinking. A ton of media coverage on him getting arrested and charged with a felony, but no where near as much coverage when the truth came out. I think the fact he pled guilty well after the fact got more media attention then telling the true story.

Just a couple weeks ago, I had a former Michigan hockey player (should be somewhat knowledgeable, right?) tell me the reason the B1G stopped scheduling NDSU (not FCS, just NDSU) is because Bohl doesn't know how to discipline his team. He brought up Beck and then also brought up the voter fraud situation from last summer. When I tried reasoning with the guy, it didn't matter - he kept saying "the news said" over and over. Very frustrating

90BISON
08-30-2013, 06:45 PM
Very true, but unfortunately this is what the public is thinking. A ton of media coverage on him getting arrested and charged with a felony, but no where near as much coverage when the truth came out. I think the fact he pled guilty well after the fact got more media attention then telling the true story.

Just a couple weeks ago, I had a former Michigan hockey player (should be somewhat knowledgeable, right?) tell me the reason the B1G stopped scheduling NDSU (not FCS, just NDSU) is because Bohl doesn't know how to discipline his team. He brought up Beck and then also brought up the voter fraud situation from last summer. When I tried reasoning with the guy, it didn't matter - he kept saying "the news said" over and over. Very frustrating

OK, well, you could have well just stopped talking right after acknowledging that......reasoning, with that kind of resume??? :facepalm2:

NorthernBison
08-30-2013, 07:23 PM

NOBODY is dumb enough to buy that load of dog crap. Please tell me you laughed until you passed out from lack of oxygen. I can't believe anybody could even say something that dumb out loud.

Mayville Bison
08-30-2013, 07:48 PM
NOBODY is dumb enough to buy that load of dog crap. Please tell me you laughed until you passed out from lack of oxygen. I can't believe anybody could even say something that dumb out loud.

Actually, at first I tried to fight back when he he brought up the voter fraud crap. When he moved on to the Beck situation, he started by saying Beck shouldn't have been at the bar in the first place. I offered that he's 21 and there's nothing illegal or against the rules about drinking - he then stated the big time programs don't allow their kids to drink.

I'm not sure whether to use :facepalm: or :rofl:

NorthernBison
08-30-2013, 08:32 PM
Actually, at first I tried to fight back when he he brought up the voter fraud crap. When he moved on to the Beck situation, he started by saying Beck shouldn't have been at the bar in the first place. I offered that he's 21 and there's nothing illegal or against the rules about drinking - he then stated the big time programs don't allow their kids to drink.

I'm not sure whether to use :facepalm: or :rofl:

You're right. The guy is a mental midget.

I'm still a bit puzzled by his claim that the B1G stopped scheduling NDSU because Bohl can't enforce discipline. Iowa didn't drop their game and the only other B1G football program that ever scheduled NDSU was Minnesota. Who STOPPED scheduling NDSU? More importantly, why did the B1G then feel the need to stop scheduling ALL FCS?

Nothing that clown said makes any sense at all.

Bisonguy
08-30-2013, 08:35 PM

I'm still a bit puzzled by his claim that the B1G stopped scheduling NDSU because Bohl can't enforce discipline. Iowa didn't drop their game and the only other B1G football program that ever scheduled NDSU was Minnesota. Who STOPPED scheduling NDSU? More importantly, why did the B1G then feel the need to stop scheduling ALL FCS?

The fact that he's a wolverine is reason enough to dismiss anything he says.

Mayville Bison
08-30-2013, 08:55 PM

That was the reason I initially posted it - the media has basically blindfolded this guy to anything resembling the truth. The fact that he used to play college athletics should make him somewhat credible, but apparently not! The B1G deciding to not schedule future FCS games and the Beck situation just happened to fall within a month of each other so this guy decided 2+2=watermelon.

Just shows the local media would rather report a story than do some actual reporting

Mayville Bison
08-30-2013, 08:56 PM
The fact that he's a wolverine is reason enough to dismiss anything he says.

As long as you aren't a Buckeye, we'll be ok

Bisonguy
08-30-2013, 09:53 PM
As long as you aren't a Buckeye, we'll be ok

http://youtu.be/bS5IKFM4AzI?t=25s

ndsubison1
09-03-2013, 10:19 AM

probably dead from his punk rocking and diabetes

ndsubison1
09-03-2013, 10:31 AM

i dont understand what the writers point is

heffray
09-09-2013, 02:50 AM

Regarding the Sovak kid... I found a gmail address on one of his punk rock websites: dsovak@gmail.com

Anyone care to drop him a line?

56BISON73
09-09-2013, 04:36 AM
i dont understand what the writers point is

He lost the point by not stating the actual facts and shooting his mouth off..

Bison03
01-06-2014, 05:39 PM
Time to bump this again, for the 3rd year in a row. Always good to see this after another title. Here is the whole article again:

By Derrik T. Sovak (http://www.dakotastudent.com/search?q=Derrik T. Sovak)

I thought that I might have trouble writing this column. But after I reviewed all the facts surrounding our overzealous neighbors to the south at North Dakota State, I realized that talking shit about them just gets easier and easier.

On Saturday, NDSU hosted Valparaiso to a crowd of just over 18,000. They absolutely stomped Valpo to the tune of 52-0. As I watched local sports highlights and saw all of the Bison players patting each other's back for the ousting, I wondered how they were going to look at themselves in the mirror without laughing.

Note to NDSU: Valparaiso offers no scholarships to their players. That means that they have less of a recruiting pool than Bethune-Cookman. Valpo also plays in the Pioneer Football League, which is almost as prestigious as NDSU's Great West Conference. Both these conferences look like the island of misfit schools. And when you get two teams like the Bison and the Crusaders on the field it's almost a toss up.

The Bison were a sub-par team in Division II football last year, and the Crusaders finished 8-4 without a playoff appearance last season. So what happened in Fargo on Saturday was as far away from amazing as you can get without actually being at the Neverland Ranch.

Everyone is so excited around the NDSU campus. Football means something to these people. But I feel it my duty to be the asshole and let them in on a little secret. For the next decade, NDSU football will be as arbitrary as paying .40 cents for ranch at Buffalo Wild Wings after running up a $500 bar tab.

Saturday's matchup was between two unranked schools in leagues that mean nothing to anyone. A win is a win but when I'd still rather watch a team of midgets play a team of chimpanzees.

This is an old argument. I said it last year, and it's no secret that I think NDSU's move to DI was a terrible decision. So I don't want NDSU to get their hopes up too high. If they really think that every team they play in that other Division is going to lie down and take it like its their first time, they're wrong.

Just like when the Bison were getting crushed by DII teams every weekend, they will face a team that hands them a 52-0 loss and then we in Grand Forks will hear the griping and crying from the south. And I can say proudly that I saw it coming.

On the other hand, UND had a barn-burner against Delta State - the number 2 and 10 teams in the country - in GF on Saturday. I witnessed great things in that game and there's a chance that we could see those teams meet again in the near future. Valpo won't be back in Fargo unless either they or the Bison need to fill their already defunct schedules next season.

I feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that at UND football still has pride. I like knowing that, even though we're "only Division II" we still can watch two ranked teams play in a city like Grand Forks. It makes for good football, which we won't see in Fargo for a long time.

It also came to my attention that NDSU has revolutionized college football by introducing something called tailgating at their games.

Take this as you may, but your football program is not going to prosper any faster just because some freshman had a beer before the game. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm going to wait with bated breath for the Montana Tech game in a couple of weeks.

R.I.P. Bison Athletics.

NDSU1980
01-06-2014, 06:24 PM
But hey, the asshats over at the SS like geaux_sioux, _arell, and ShawnO think the same thing. All are convinced that we'll never amount to anything any more.

THEsocalledfan
01-06-2014, 08:12 PM
But hey, the asshats over at the SS like geaux_sioux, _arell, and ShawnO think the same thing. All are convinced that we'll never amount to anything any more.

come on, old ShawnO gets it even if he dislikes NDSU. I miss his posting over here.

NDSU1980
01-06-2014, 08:27 PM
come on, old ShawnO gets it even if he dislikes NDSU. I miss his posting over here.I think he's here, you just have to look for him.

THEsocalledfan
01-06-2014, 08:42 PM
I think he's here, you just have to look for him.

Oh, I'm sure of that. I am only saying he is not a tool like the other two and I like his sense of humor.

Tatanka
01-08-2014, 12:28 PM
Oh, I'm sure of that. I am only saying he is not a tool like the other two and I like his sense of humor.

agree.

Sent from somewhere using my Windows phone.

THEsocalledfan
01-08-2014, 12:29 PM
Once again, RIP Ari. This was a great thread.

scbison91
01-08-2014, 04:48 PM
But hey, the asshats over at the SS like geaux_sioux, _arell, and ShawnO think the same thing. All are convinced that we'll never amount to anything any more. It is funny that 3 or 4 subjects are on their blog are entirely devoted specifcially to NDSU...

VanClubPres
01-09-2014, 02:43 AM
Shameless Plug

II kinda feel dumb for posting this this late, but I have been writing this in my head for months and now I am going to get it down in paper.

NDSU "DII" DIVISION II ATHLETICS

North Dakota State University Division II Athletics passed away on March 10th, 2009, surround by a few thousand of closest freinds.

Nicknamed DII by his freinds, DII had accomplished many amazing feats in his lifespan. Born in 1890, DII began bringing athletes under his wing at an early age. Known by many names such as The Farmers, or the Aggies, or most recently, The Bison, DII began to make himself know as a powerhouse in sporting events. His main home was the Dakotah Feild, where, as part of the College Divison Nation Championship he won titles in football in 1965, 1968, and 1969.

Deciding that he had gone as far as he could with the College Divison, DII decided that he should pursue his namesake, Division II Athletics. He did not waste time. DII began to amass titles in football, such as national championships in 1983, 85-86, 88, and 1990. During that tenure, he also racked up an amazing 22 North Central Conference Championships. Outside of football, DII was making a name for himself in Womens Basketball with titles in 1991, and a four year run in 1993-1996. He took his abilitys to the mat with titles in wrestling in 1988, 1998, 2000, and 2001.

After many years under his belt, he decided to take a risk, even though he was firmly set in his current position, by making a Jump to Divison I Athletics. There were those around him who said it would not be a good decision, but those who knew DII knew he was not one to shy away from a challenge.
In 2004, DII moved to Division I. It was not an easy trasition for him, but he did what he could.

DII's health began to fail as Division I athletics began to take over. With football boasting two 10-1 season with wins over Ball State, Central Michigan, and Minnesota, as well as a Great West Conference Championship, those who knew him noticed that DII's health was fading. With a perfect season from the NDSU Volleyball, NCAA Tourney Visit, and Track championships thrown in to boot, DI was practically on heavens doorstep.

DII was hospitalized during the Summit Leauge Championship game, and Dr. Ben Woodside pronouced Division II Athletics dead with a game winning shot with 3.2 seconds to go against Oakland to advance to the NCAA National Championship Tournament.

Division II Athletics was an inspiration to all of the athletes that he mentored over the years. Those athletes who knew him closely will always miss him. Those fans who he befreinded will miss him forever.

DII Athletics is survived by University of North Dakota and University of South Dakota. Floral gifts are asked to be sent in the form of donations to the NDSU Teammakers Funds.

aces1180
04-05-2014, 01:21 AM
Look what I randomly found after looking at SS.com.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10100897870771865&set=a.10100646229617755.1073741826.29403454&type=1&theater&notif_t=comment_mention

Bison03
04-05-2014, 06:14 PM
Look what I randomly found after looking at SS.com.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10100897870771865&set=a.10100646229617755.1073741826.29403454&type=1&theater&notif_t=comment_mention

Ha! Someone should post a link of his article and get his opinion about it 10 years later.

BisonFan02
04-05-2014, 11:39 PM
Ha! Someone should post a link of his article and get his opinion about it 10 years later.

If this happened...someone post a link. I refuse to dig for it. :rofl:

wagsabison
04-06-2014, 06:35 PM
Seeing as Bison football is two wins away from winning the NCAA Division I Football Championship, I decided to go back and read a funny, hilarious article from UND's student newspaper written the week we played our first DI game.

Here is the article, in its entirety:

It makes me feel very good to read it.

That's a great article! So ironic...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bison03
08-31-2014, 05:00 AM
Today is the 10 year anniversary of this gem of an article. Winning at ISU is the cherry on top of this 10 year sundae which has been NDSU playing DI football. I smile every time I read this knowing that this is how most UND fans and a lot of media thought to some degree. Here is the article so you don't need to go back. Happy Anniversary dousch bag Dakota student article.

By Derrik T. Sovak

R.I.P. Bison Athletics.

THEsocalledfan
08-31-2014, 05:13 PM
I am currently driving driving home from Ames. My daughter is reading Bisonville to me to pass the time. Thank you for reposting this, as my two children had never heard it before and got a kick out of it.

And it is also worthy to note that this was bisonator's favorite article. RIP Ari. I know you were smiling again yesterday.

IBleedYellow
08-31-2014, 05:33 PM
Oh this read gets better every time.

Tatanka
09-01-2014, 03:54 AM
Funny how much of that actually applies....

.... To un_
Sent from somewhere using my Windows Phone.

BisonHorns
09-01-2014, 04:26 AM
I tried to search this guy up on Google to remind him what a TOOL he is but couldnt find any sign of him in many years. Must have changed his name when he got married.

Da Bison
09-01-2014, 04:34 AM
So........He took his husband's name?

Bison bison
09-02-2014, 12:05 AM
The guy works at Target selling perfume.

Hammerhead
09-02-2014, 12:24 AM
The guy works at Target selling perfume.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-XBSnKxewoz4/TbHN6YAsVYI/AAAAAAAAAGE/egRk6cJkoTE/s1600/joey-friends-hombre.jpg

Bison 4 Life
09-02-2014, 12:35 AM
Used to be in a band, I guess. http://uweb.und.nodak.edu/~derrik.sovak/IMAGES/images/Derrik.jpg

http://uweb.und.nodak.edu/~derrik.sovak/index.html

Here's Google +

https://plus.google.com/105540340862947855055/posts

LinkedIn

http://www.linkedin.com/in/derriksovak

AjaxTheMighty
09-02-2014, 01:31 AM
Here's his email address: dsovak@gmail.com

Hey Derrik, 1996 called and wants its crappy band back!! Boom! Roasted!

HerdBoy
09-02-2014, 01:45 AM
I don't want my slice. I want the whole damn pie. Ha ha ha. I can feel the angst.

https://myspace.com/fairenough/music/song/i-want-the-whole-damn-pie-26638935-26440120?play=1

HerdBot
09-02-2014, 02:17 AM
Used to be in a band, I guess. http://uweb.und.nodak.edu/~derrik.sovak/IMAGES/images/Derrik.jpg

http://uweb.und.nodak.edu/~derrik.sovak/index.html

Here's Google +

https://plus.google.com/105540340862947855055/posts

LinkedIn

http://www.linkedin.com/in/derriksovak

Business Analyst. Hopefully his skills have improved since college :rofl: I wouldn't bug the guy.

BFKasper14
03-12-2015, 12:37 AM
I'd say this deserves a bump...4peat and back to back NCAA tourneys...Go Bison

tjbison
03-12-2015, 12:40 AM
Bisonator would have exploded had he got to see the past couple years at NDSU......1 bucket of wings wouldn't have been enough

Tatanka
03-12-2015, 12:41 AM
Bisonator would have exploded had he got to see the past couple years at NDSU......1 bucket of wings wouldn't have been enough

I like to believe that Ari is smiling broadly as he watches this all unfold.

tjbison
03-12-2015, 12:43 AM
I like to believe that Ari is smiling broadly as he watches this all unfold.

me too.....but we won't get to see or hear his excitement and that was the best part

NDSU1980
03-12-2015, 01:13 AM
And the other idiot to remember is the editor of the St. Cloud newspaper who said when we moved up we'd never again play a meaningful post-season game. Between him, Slovak, and Ryan Bakken, it's tough to pick who was more clueless.

StL Bison Fan
03-12-2015, 01:14 AM
And the other idiot to remember is the editor of the St. Cloud newspaper who said when we moved up we'd never again play a meaningful post-season game. Between him, Slovak, and Ryan Bakken, it's tough to pick who was more clueless.

The best stooges come in threes

bisonpride4ever
03-12-2015, 01:41 AM
Good Ol Dave DeLand

Sent using an Etch a Sketch and a Speak n Spell

HerdBot
03-12-2015, 02:10 AM

R.I.P. Bison Athletics.

Love this article. Let's do the checklist since we went up to D1

- 2 ESPN College Gamedays
- 4 straight FCS National Championships
- 3 Trips To The Big Dance
- 1 Big Dance win vs Oklahoma
- Softball Team made the Sweet 16
- Football wins over Kansas State, Kansas, Iowa State, and Minnesota twice. So many the wins over Colorado State and the undefeated record vs MAC schools dont seem as important.
- Basketball wins over Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Marquette and I know I'm forgetting one.
- Longest winning streak in FCS history
- Media. We got more media last year by itself than we ever did in D2. In fact we got more media last year than most smaller FBS conferences get.

Did I forget anything? I mean he said we will never play in another meaningful game again. Oh that's right he meant UND.

ndsubison1
03-12-2015, 04:42 AM
Bisonator would be freaking out. RIP.

IzzyFlexion
03-12-2015, 11:56 AM

R.I.P. Bison Athletics.

- Football wins over Kansas State, Kansas, Iowa State, and Minnesota twice. So many the wins over Colorado State and the undefeated record vs MAC schools dont seem as important.
- Basketball wins over Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Marquette and I know I'm forgetting one.
- Media. We got more media last year by itself than we ever did in D2. In fact we got more media last year than most smaller FBS conferences get.

Did I forget anything? I mean he said we will never play in another meaningful game again. Oh that's right he meant UND.

I would add Laura Hermanson's 2nd place in the 800 meters (2009 NCAA Championships)

NorthernBison
03-12-2015, 12:51 PM
It's uncanny how NONE of the bad things these idiots predicted happened for NDSU. We have had pretty much unprecedented success by every program but WBB and I haven't given up there. On the other hand, all of the predictions of gloom and doom were spot on if you replace NDSU with UND. They have been an utter failure to this point since they moved to D1.

HerdBot
03-12-2015, 12:58 PM
It's uncanny how NONE of the bad things these idiots predicted happened for NDSU. We have had pretty much unprecedented success by every program but WBB and I haven't given up there. On the other hand, all of the predictions of gloom and doom were spot on if you replace NDSU with UND. They have been an utter failure to this point since they moved to D1.

UND leads the nation in moral victories. I mean they went toe to toe with Montana State last year after being blown out at half and was close vs Montana at home with their backup qb. As GS would put it, "the worm is slowly turning and we're slipping like we did in the 90s" :rofl:

NorthernBison
03-12-2015, 01:32 PM
The late Bisonator started this thread based on Sovak's column and, let's face it, the whole thing was about football. UND fans made fun of the Great West. They made fun of our game with Valpo. Mock, mock, mock. Yet, when they finally saw the light and moved up, they followed pretty much the same path we did. The difference is that we did it with success at every step along the way and they did almost the exact opposite. They play football in a conference with 3 of their Great West mates and the third (USD) stepped up to play in the TRUE PREMIER FCS Conference. Even though the Coyotes haven't had much success in the MVFC, they did beat the Gophers. Poor UND hasn't even moved the needle of football success. BTW, they played Valpo too. Proves that truth is often better than fiction.

Bison Loaf
03-12-2015, 01:43 PM
The late Bisonator started this thread based on Sovak's column and, let's face it, the whole thing was about football. UND fans made fun of the Great West. They made fun of our game with Valpo. Mock, mock, mock. Yet, when they finally saw the light and moved up, they followed pretty much the same path we did. The difference is that we did it with success at every step along the way and they did almost the exact opposite. They play football in a conference with 3 of their Great West mates and the third (USD) stepped up to play in the TRUE PREMIER FCS Conference. Even though the Coyotes haven't had much success in the MVFC, they did beat the Gophers. Poor UND hasn't even moved the needle of football success. BTW, they played Valpo too. Proves that truth is often better than fiction.

There are "leaders" in life and there are "followers" in life. UND got a valuable (and entertaining!) lesson in what it's like to be leader-less - and they are still getting that lesson. As such, UND was forced to become a follower of (gasp!) a "bunch of hick farmers"..........and I think deep down, that is what really grates on them - the arrogant bastards!

DePereBisonFan
03-12-2015, 01:45 PM

R.I.P. Bison Athletics.

He brought up Delta State playing at UND - two top ten teams in the country - which was pretty impressive at the time. I would say us scheduling the home and home with Eastern Washington is similar, but at the FCS level.

And secondly, I think the 2-for-0 upcoming schedule with UND ought to be mentioned as well :)

BYZEN
03-12-2015, 02:04 PM
He brought up Delta State playing at UND - two top ten teams in the country - which was pretty impressive at the time. I would say us scheduling the home and home with Eastern Washington is similar, but at the FCS level.

And secondly, I think the 2-for-0 upcoming schedule with UND ought to be mentioned as well :)

As for top ten teams in the country playing at the FFD, that's what Decembers are for around here....:biggrin::rofl::cheers:

HerdBot
03-12-2015, 02:42 PM
As for top ten teams in the country playing at the FFD, that's what Decembers are for around here....:biggrin::rofl::cheers:

Or during the regular season of course. Seems like between UNI, SDSU, Youngstown, Illinois State, Southern Illinois, and even Indiana State most of those teams are ranked in the top 20...

tony
03-12-2015, 03:10 PM
Gotta dig up some of the old Virg Foss and Tom Dennis columns. Those were hilarious too.

Bison Loaf
03-12-2015, 03:37 PM
Gotta dig up some of the old Virg Foss and Tom Dennis columns. Those were hilarious too.

And don't forget McFeely's brilliant contributions on the subject.

BFKasper14
03-12-2015, 04:35 PM

It would be awesome if you could find and post them.

Bison03
03-12-2015, 04:49 PM
Do you want to know one of the biggest reasons the failure of UND football have been drastically different then the success of NDSU football in the DI era of both programs? Just look at the caliber of teams each played against during their transitions, and after.

NDSU (Transtition):
Montana State
Ball State (FBS)
Minnesota (FBS) 2X
Georgia Southern
Sam Houston
Central Michigan (FBS)
Wyoming (FBS)

NDSU (Post-transition FBS Games)
Kansas
Minnesota
Colorado State
Kansas State
Iowa State
Iowa (2016)

UND (Transition)
Texas A&M Kingsville (DII)
Wisconsin LA Cross (NAIA)
Sioux Falls (NAIA) 2X
Black Hills State (NAIA)
Montana Western (NAIA)
South Dakota School of Mines (NAIA)

UND (Post-transition FBS games)
San Jose State
Wyoming (2015)
Bowling Green (2016)
Utah (2017)
Washington (2018)

Now, UND did play FBS teams like San Diego State, Idaho, Fresno State, Northern Illinois, and Texas Tech. And NDSU played sub FCS teams like Montana Tech (NAIA), Carson Newman (DII), Arkansas Monticello (DII), and Concordia St. Paul (DII). But NDSU's games were all in the first couple years of transition unlike UND, and NDSU only played an NAIA team once in the first year where UND play an NAIA team 6 times and even lost to one of them! A simple look at the quality of competition will show you why the interest of UND football has died in the DI era and the success against the quality of competition of NDSU football had exploded in the DI era.

scottietohottie
03-12-2015, 05:02 PM
Do you want to know one of the biggest reasons the failure of UND football have been drastically different then the success of NDSU football in the DI era of both programs? Just look at the caliber of teams each played against during their transitions, and after.

NDSU (Transtition):
Montana State
Ball State (FBS)
Minnesota (FBS) 2X
Georgia Southern
Sam Houston
Central Michigan (FBS)
Wyoming (FBS)

NDSU (Post-transition FBS Games)
Kansas
Minnesota
Colorado State
Kansas State
Iowa State
Iowa (2016)

UND (Transition)
Texas A&M Kingsville (DII)
Wisconsin LA Cross (NAIA)
Sioux Falls (NAIA) 2X
Black Hills State (NAIA)
Montana Western (NAIA)
South Dakota School of Mines (NAIA)

UND (Post-transition FBS games)
San Jose State
Wyoming (2015)
Bowling Green (2016)
Utah (2017)
Washington (2018)

Now, UND did play FBS teams like San Diego State, Idaho, Fresno State, Northern Illinois, and Texas Tech. And NDSU played sub FCS teams like Montana Tech (NAIA), Carson Newman (DII), Arkansas Monticello (DII), and Concordia St. Paul (DII). But NDSU's games were all in the first couple years of transition unlike UND, and NDSU only played an NAIA team once in the first year where UND play an NAIA team 6 times and even lost to one of them! A simple look at the quality of competition will show you why the interest of UND football has died in the DI era and the success against the quality of competition of NDSU football had exploded in the DI era.

NDSU played naia because someone refused to play them those first years.

missingnumber7
03-12-2015, 05:57 PM

Happens every week...just so happens that not to many of the guests hold up their end of the ranking scheme.

BisonNeil
03-12-2015, 08:30 PM
Happens every week...just so happens that not to many of the guests hold up their end of the ranking scheme.
They did last year!!!

onbison09
04-28-2016, 10:55 PM
Thought it would be good to bump this thread with today's events. I hope Nator is smiling somewhere.

Bison03
04-28-2016, 11:13 PM
I may just get some ranch for .40 in his honor tonight.

HerdBot
04-29-2016, 12:50 AM
Thought it would be good to bump this thread with today's events. I hope Nator is smiling somewhere.

I always smile when I see this thread!

BisonHorns
04-29-2016, 12:57 AM
Never let this thread be forgotten.

Bison 4 Life
04-29-2016, 01:39 AM
If I have to buy Bisonville myself, I will not allow this nugget to die.

onbison09
04-29-2016, 02:02 AM
Never let this thread be forgotten.
Anyone know Nator's birthday? Would be a good time to bump it

1998braves64
04-29-2016, 02:06 AM
Anyone know Nator's birthday? Would be a good time to bump it

Might be on bisonville if he put it up. Think someone posted his obit too once might be in there.

56BISON73
04-29-2016, 04:19 AM

Now that looks like a brain trust. :pan:

Bison03
09-18-2016, 08:05 PM
As good as the tradition of hanging flags at the border; is reading this letter after big wins. Classic!!!

Bison 4 Life
09-18-2016, 08:10 PM
Just in case he needs reminding. https://twitter.com/realderriksovak

bisonp
09-18-2016, 08:27 PM
Just in case he needs reminding. https://twitter.com/realderriksovak

Huh. I didn't realize he was actually mentally disabled.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/682374369675366401/HnzpQzI7_400x400.jpg

56BISON73
09-19-2016, 07:58 AM
Obviously nothing has changed since his college days.

HerdBot
03-05-2019, 04:05 AM
A couple more National Championships and a white house visit... worthy of another bump

THEsocalledfan
03-05-2019, 01:27 PM
A couple more National Championships and a white house visit... worthy of another bump

Good call; what a better way to honor TheBisonator. RIP.

BFKasper14
01-12-2020, 12:10 AM
I love bumping this thread.

1998braves64
01-12-2020, 12:56 AM
Nator hope you're enjoying this from your view!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

NDSU1980
01-12-2020, 01:40 AM
Now all we need is the opinion column from the sports writer in St. Cloud who said NDSU would never play in a meaningful post season game again when we moved up. I think he sorta missed his mark there.

BFKasper14
01-12-2020, 01:44 AM
Now all we need is the opinion column from the sports writer in St. Cloud who said NDSU would never play in a meaningful post season game again when we moved up. I think he sorta missed his mark there.

I don’t think I’ve seen that one yet.

El_Chapo
01-12-2020, 03:18 AM

Dave Deland LOL idiot how's SCSU football program?

NDSU1980
01-12-2020, 02:50 PM
I don’t think I’ve seen that one yet.

Yea, Lakes remembered the guys name, Dave Deland. He wrote an ugly column about how NDSU would never play a meaningful playoff game in any sport again the day we went D1. Someone reposted it on here probably 6 or 7 years ago. Trust me, it the same quality of work as Derrick Slovak.

NDSU1980
01-12-2020, 03:01 PM

Bringing this post back. Thanks Professor, it doesn't get any better than this.

bisonp
01-13-2020, 01:17 PM
Yea, Lakes remembered the guys name, Dave Deland. He wrote an ugly column about how NDSU would never play a meaningful playoff game in any sport again the day we went D1. Someone reposted it on here probably 6 or 7 years ago. Trust me, it the same quality of work as Derrick Slovak.

Found it:

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?37749-Star-Tribune-Turkey-Awards&p=1175969#post1175969

Christopher Moen
01-13-2020, 09:47 PM
Found it:

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?37749-Star-Tribune-Turkey-Awards&p=1175969#post1175969

Every time Dave DeLand rereads that old post of his:

https://chumley.barstoolsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/06/giphy.gif

Professor Chaos
10-13-2020, 12:41 AM
Too much pointless arguing on Bisonville these days so bumping this thread to prove that we all can agree on something. Derrik T Sovak's article just gets more enjoyable as time goes on now that we're primed to see as many as 3 former Bison go in the 1st round of the next NFL draft.

SoCalBison
10-13-2020, 02:18 AM
Too much pointless arguing on Bisonville these days so bumping this thread to prove that we all can agree on something. Derrik T Sovak's article just gets more enjoyable as time goes on now that we're primed to see as many as 3 former Bison go in the 1st round of the next NFL draft.

I agree! 10 char

Bison bison
10-13-2020, 02:38 AM
I actually want to thank him.

When I ever I prognosticate I think how likely is it that I'm wrong and then, no matter how unlikely how stupid I'd look if I am.

I call the technique Socal framing.

heffray
10-13-2020, 04:35 AM
Fuck Derrick T Sovak.

JMB
10-16-2020, 04:18 PM
I know some of the nay-sayers have looped back and said "Yep I was wrong." (McFeely and Ruesse specfically). I never saw a followup from DeLand.

JohnnyExtacy
10-16-2020, 04:46 PM
I'm just going to leave this here for info incase someone wants to reach out and get a reaction from him

https://www.facebook.com/derrik.sovak

tony
10-16-2020, 04:46 PM
I'd pile on the mockery if I was more confident that NDSU's athletic department was going to survive 2020/2021. Besides, what's his face was a kid at a college paper - and college papers tend to go over the top a bit on things.

Kevin
10-16-2020, 05:42 PM
I'd pile on the mockery if I was more confident that NDSU's athletic department was going to survive 2020/2021. Besides, what's his face was a kid at a college paper - and college papers tend to go over the top a bit on things.

Tony sees his FB feed and notices he's a giant libtard.

Tony finds reason to excuse his NDSU blasphemy.

Coincidence? Nyet.

tony
10-16-2020, 06:29 PM
Tony sees his FB feed and notices he's a giant libtard.

Tony finds reason to excuse his NDSU blasphemy.

Coincidence? Nyet.

Ah, but you are assuming that I'd follow a facebook link... which I assure I did not.

I do not take dips in cesspools.

THEsocalledfan
10-16-2020, 06:33 PM
I know I've said it 1000X, but RIP Bisonator. Really miss Ari on this board.

tony
10-16-2020, 07:03 PM
I know I've said it 1000X, but RIP Bisonator. Really miss Ari on this board.

Census numbers without TheBisonator? That's like chicken wings without sauce.

El_Chapo
10-16-2020, 08:36 PM
Census numbers without TheBisonator? That's like chicken wings without sauce.

^^^^ i see what you did there... man he crushed those

NDSU1980
10-16-2020, 09:49 PM
I know some of the nay-sayers have looped back and said "Yep I was wrong." (McFeely and Ruesse specfically). I never saw a followup from DeLand.

I used to habitually email Dave DeLand pointing out our success. He did actually respond, never admitted he was wrong, but did say it's nice to be remembered for writing a column from years earlier. He also said to say hi to all the other guys that kept bugging him. I think he actually enjoyed needling us with that column, even if it turned out wrong.