PDA

View Full Version : The 'Talk About Our Players' Thread

CaBisonFan
12-11-2011, 06:12 PM
How about if we get into some discussions about most of our players this week. Anything from their athletic background (especially other sports), their major in school, and other points of interest. Waddya think folks...can we handle talking about 'our' players some?

I'll do a partial one...but I have more questions than answers. Being a native of Mayville...and having a lot of relatives in the Hillsboro area...Grothmann is an excellent story. So you know...did anyone see him play in high school? Was he a big-time wrestler at Hillsboro? What kind of skills does he bring to the Bison?

OK...one more. Drevlow...from Gwinner. My wife grew up in Cayuga...very close by. Same kind of questions.

DjKyRo
12-11-2011, 07:58 PM
I've heard a ton of stories about how Amos Buehner was just a complete animal at linebacker when he played in high school at Killdeer. Apparently he broke a ton of helmets because he hit so hard and one time, on kickoff coverage, leapt into the air and flipped his body horizontal to take out about three guys in the wedge.

CaBisonFan
12-11-2011, 09:31 PM
I've heard a ton of stories about how Amos Buehner was just a complete animal at linebacker when he played in high school at Killdeer. Apparently he broke a ton of helmets because he hit so hard and one time, on kickoff coverage, leapt into the air and flipped his body horizontal to take out about three guys in the wedge.

Thanks Dj...this is exactly what I wanted. I appreciate your going along with this. I think that it could be a fun thread...something different.

1998braves64
12-11-2011, 09:51 PM
How about if we get into some discussions about most of our players this week. Anything from their athletic background (especially other sports), their major in school, and other points of interest. Waddya think folks...can we handle talking about 'our' players some?

I'll do a partial one...but I have more questions than answers. Being a native of Mayville...and having a lot of relatives in the Hillsboro area...Grothmann is an excellent story. So you know...did anyone see him play in high school? Was he a big-time wrestler at Hillsboro? What kind of skills does he bring to the Bison?

OK...one more. Drevlow...from Gwinner. My wife grew up in Cayuga...very close by. Same kind of questions.

Watched Grothmann in HS a few times, he was the tailback in Hillsboro's option offense and racked up most of their rushing yards for them. Playing in 9 man he was a man among the boys really. The only team that seem to slow him down a bit in the beginning was Napoleon in the playoffs, and they still beat them pretty handily the year Hillsboro won 9 man (Grothmann's senior year and he had seemed like 100 yards rushing by the end of the first quarter). I believe he won State in wrestling Senior year (don't think he lost a match that year?) and was runner up his junior year with his only loss coming to the state champion that year???? (don't know those are the facts though and too lazy to look it up right now.)

westnodak93bison
12-11-2011, 10:40 PM
I spoke to Amos Buehner during the summer of 2010 while working out by Dunn Center. I really gave him crap for not being in Fargo working out with the team and he said he wasn't playing. I told him he needs to get back with the team or he will regret it the rest of his life. I also pointed out that guys like me would give their left nut to play for the Bison and he has the rest of his life to work and make a living. I also spoke to his dad the next day and he was disappointed that Amos quit the team even though Polasek wanted him back. Not sure if any of my prodding got him back to the team. He may not be a superstar but is a hard nosed kid and you can't have enough of them imho.

Notorious
12-11-2011, 10:47 PM
I'll bite...Moody!!...not a high profile D-I recruit, but this kid has serious upside...good kid from a good "coaches" family. Don't be surprised if he makes a big impact in the next few years. He was legit in high school, just played on a poor team.

BadlandsBison
12-12-2011, 12:13 AM

He also killed a coyote with a knife while riding a 4wheeler. Just throwing that in.

DjKyRo
12-12-2011, 02:15 AM
He also killed a coyote with a knife while riding a 4wheeler. Just throwing that in.

Any truth to the stories that he once crafted the legendary sword Garm, slew the dragon Fafnir, and bathed in its blood to confer invulnerability?

IzzyFlexion
12-12-2011, 02:46 AM
Any truth to the stories that he once crafted the legendary sword Garm, slew the dragon Fafnir, and bathed in its blood to confer invulnerability?

I believe that you're thinking about Bill Braskey.

RowdyRabbit
12-12-2011, 03:36 AM
Do any of them hunt or fish?

:rimshot:

Don't you just love having me around?

BadlandsBison
12-12-2011, 04:05 AM
Do any of them hunt or fish?

:rimshot:

Don't you just love having me around?

Yup. Rabbits, penguins, panthers, eagles, that sort of thing :)

BadlandsBison
12-12-2011, 04:06 AM

I think that was his brother lol

ND_Coach
12-12-2011, 05:41 AM

I was Drevlow's Defensive Coordinator when he was a Soph in HS I can shed a little light on his athletic background. In addition to FB he also played basketball and track. In basketball he scored somewhere around 1,400 points and had close to 1,000 rebounds. He was on the North Sargent team that made it to the state tourny, that eventually lost to Linton-HMB-Bottineau. In track he won state titles in Javelin and Shot Put his senior year. His Jav throw was in the 190's and his Shot was 57'. He holds the school records for Jav, Shot, Disc, and was on the 4x800 relay team. As a Soph he ran the 800 too, which was funny seeing all the small skinny distance runner then a 6'4" 220 DL line up for the 800.

He is an engineering major, electrical I believe. His sister Jamie throws Jav for the Bison and his brother Zach is currently a Junior at North Sargent and will likely be a future Bison. Someone wrote on here about how hard he works, everything that was said is 100% true. He works harder than anyone I have coached in 10 plus years.

When I was coaching at Milnor/North Sargent we played Hillsboro with Grothmann. Grothmann was a stud. They beat us 36-15 he was tough to bring down, and that option attack from the power I was killer. He was also a great wrestler. I think he was undefeated as a Senior.

SU got a couple of small town gems when they signed these two.

CaBisonFan
12-12-2011, 05:46 AM
I was Drevlow's Defensive Coordinator when he was a Soph in HS I can shed a little light on his athletic background. In addition to FB he also played basketball and track. In basketball he scored somewhere around 1,400 points and had close to 1,000 rebounds. He was on the North Sargent team that made it to the state tourny, that eventually lost to Linton-HMB-Bottineau. In track he won state titles in Javelin and Shot Put his senior year. His Jav throw was in the 190's and his Shot was 57'. He holds the school records for Jav, Shot, Disc, and was on the 4x800 relay team. As a Soph he ran the 800 too, which was funny seeing all the small skinny distance runner then a 6'4" 220 DL line up for the 800.

He is an engineering major, electrical I believe. His sister Jamie throws Jav for the Bison and his brother Zach is currently a Junior at North Sargent and will likely be a future Bison. Someone wrote on here about how hard he works, everything that was said is 100% true. He works harder than anyone I have coached in 10 plus years.

When I was coaching at Milnor/North Sargent we played Hillsboro with Grothmann. Grothmann was a stud. They beat us 36-15 he was tough to bring down, and that option attack from the power I was killer. He was also a great wrestler. I think he was undefeated as a Senior.

This is perfect...better than I imagined. Thanks ND_Coach!!

X-Factor
12-12-2011, 02:57 PM

I will also vouch for his work ethic. Very doubtful too many guys if any work harder than he does. Im not at all surprised he is a starter on one of the best defenses in the nation. Kid has more upside too.....alot more

Fightin' Bison
12-12-2011, 03:38 PM

Please see the Media Guide. http://www.gobison.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&KEY=&SPID=695&SPSID=11862 Thank you.

bisoningrandforks
12-12-2011, 03:39 PM
we have a lot of great young players...drevlow, heagle, dudzik,.etc....but Travis Beck has impressed me the most for not being highly recruited...and he's only going to get better....and he's only a freshman...wow!.....would like to here from Andy D. his h.s coach..

Castor Troy
12-12-2011, 03:55 PM
This thread should be called "Talk about our favorite White Guys" thread.

tony
12-12-2011, 04:27 PM

Really? You had to go there? :(

It seems like they are talking about the guys they know firsthand (i.e. guys from their area.)

BadlandsBison
12-12-2011, 04:28 PM

Maybe you could indulge us with some stories then.

Castor Troy
12-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Really? You had to go there? :(

It seems like they are talking about the guys they know firsthand (i.e. guys from their area.)

Yeah, I did. It was just so obvious that I had to point out the elephant in the room.

Maybe you could indulge us with some stories then.

Well, this is quite the arduous task since there are so many fine young men on this team. It makes me proud to say that I competed and graduated from NDSU when we have teams such as the 2011 Bison football team. But I do have my favorites:

Ryan Smith- When we signed him there was lots of concern that he was too small even though he had lots of speed. I was not surprised by how he enhanced out return game immediately, but his receiving ability was a total shock. He was primarily a running back in high school and seeing him either catch the ball up the middle or tip toe for a catch on the sideline was truly impressive. I expect great things from Ryan for the next couple of years.

Warren Holloway- No other Bison player has had me banging my head against the wall AND jumping for utter joy within seconds of each other. He always seems to make us forget about the last mistake that he made. He is also as tough as they come and we will truly miss him next year.

Sam Ojuri- Overcoming adversity goes a long way with me. He came in highly acclaimed and even though he got off to a slow start with some issues, he turned it around. I feel just as comfortable with Sam running the ball as I do DJ.

I wasn't a defensive coordinator and I have no mythological stories of any of them. I am just going by what I see on the field and read on the internets.

westnodak93bison
12-12-2011, 07:22 PM
How about Gimmestad? Him playing DL for 2yrs then moving to OL and grabbing a starting job is amazing.

NDSU_grad
12-12-2011, 07:53 PM

This little gem really shouldn't be overlooked.

NorthernBison
12-12-2011, 07:56 PM
This little gem really shouldn't be overlooked.

That threw me for a loop. Did he mean they lost to Linton-HMB in addition to Bottineau?

That's possible in a basketball tourney. Or maybe it was consecutive years?

BISON Thunder
12-12-2011, 08:00 PM
And senior receiver, Brady "Little Tuna" Hanson, from Hankinson. Came in knowing he would rarely see playing time, but stuck it out. Said Saturday, during his radio interview..."He wouldn't change a thing".

BisonPride72
12-12-2011, 08:00 PM
That threw me for a loop. Did he mean they lost to Linton-HMB in addition to Bottineau?

That's possible in a basketball tourney. Or maybe it was consecutive years?

Its a comment that deserves a few :facepalm: some kids from Bottineau moved to Linton before the year and there was a bit of controversy behind it to say the least lets just leave it at that until after the Football season is over or carry the discussion on in a different thread.

CaBisonFan
12-12-2011, 08:01 PM
And senior receiver, Brady "Little Tuna" Hanson, from Hankinson. Came in knowing he would rarely see playing time, but stuck it out. Said Saturday, during his radio interview..."He wouldn't change a thing".

Great respect for Brady...thanks Thunder. I like this one.

He wore the jersey. He's a champion.

ND_Coach
12-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Its a comment that deserves a few :facepalm: some kids from Bottineau moved to Linton before the year and there was a bit of controversy behind it to say the least lets just leave it at that until after the Football season is over or carry the discussion on in a different thread.

Yeah, its a reference to the Bottineau kids that transferred to Linton. I was also at Strasburg so it is something that still irks me a bit. This however was not the appropriate forum for that little dig and I apologize for it.

X-Factor
12-12-2011, 11:43 PM

Yeah. that was pretty uncalled for.

Castor Troy
12-13-2011, 12:46 AM
Yeah. that was pretty uncalled for.

I am sorry you feel that way and I am really not sure why it was uncalled for. Please explain so I can be in the same moral ground as you are, sir. All of the players that were mentioned are white and I find that interesting. I am not calling anyone names. I get it. People spoke about players that they knew some personal stories about and they happen to be white. I contributed to this thread and thought that was the end of it. Go ahead and pm me next time since it looks like people were enjoying this thread and now I have added ickiness. Sorry CA. This was not my intent. I have been lurking on this board since 2008 trying to get a sense of how this whole thing works and I get called out every once in a while because I broke an unwritten rule. I love the conversations on here so I will go back to lurking.

Ginsbach
12-13-2011, 02:03 AM

That was such a great interview. I've known Brady pretty much my entire life (the two of us made up the entire Hankinson boys track team for a few weeks, haha) and it's great to see him tough it out and work so hard. You really get a sense for his strength of character and work ethic when you see him out there.

Ginsbach
12-13-2011, 02:17 PM
http://www.kfgo.com/uploads/Ryan%20and%20WR%20Brady%20Hanson.mp3

There's Brady's interview on KFGO, for those who missed it.

CaBisonFan
12-13-2011, 02:42 PM
I am sorry you feel that way and I am really not sure why it was uncalled for. Please explain so I can be in the same moral ground as you are, sir. All of the players that were mentioned are white and I find that interesting. I am not calling anyone names. I get it. People spoke about players that they knew some personal stories about and they happen to be white. I contributed to this thread and thought that was the end of it. Go ahead and pm me next time since it looks like people were enjoying this thread and now I have added ickiness. Sorry CA. This was not my intent. I have been lurking on this board since 2008 trying to get a sense of how this whole thing works and I get called out every once in a while because I broke an unwritten rule. I love the conversations on here so I will go back to lurking.

No problem Caster...keep writing.

CAS4127
12-13-2011, 02:45 PM
Castor, I assume you understand that most who have posted here know these kids because they grew up with them, and there are not that many black kids in Nodak, Sodak or NW Minnesota. I didn't find your post to be negative btw.

westnodak93bison
12-13-2011, 02:49 PM
I'll speculate that the comments made on certain players has more to do with where they grew up and our familiarity with them more so than race.
I actually met Amos Buehner once and spoke to him so I commented on him.
I spoke to Preston Evan's little brother at the Iowa State game for a few minutes. He was sure proud of big brother and seemed like a great kid.

tony
12-13-2011, 02:54 PM
Castor, I assume you understand that most who have posted here know these kids because they grew up with them, and there are not that many black kids in Nodak, Sodak or NW Minnesota. I didn't find your post to be negative btw.

Well, I certainly had a problem with it. The thread had only gotten to three players: Buehner, Drevlow, and Grothmann and Castor made it sound like "Look at all the Bisonville bigots only talking up white players." Well, bullshit. He could have pointed out that the three guys are all North Dakotans but he decided to make it a race thing. Well, tell us some stories about Carlton Littlejohn and Billy Turner then.

CAS4127
12-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Well, I certainly had a problem with it. The thread had only gotten to three players: Buehner, Drevlow, and Grothmann and Castor made it sound like "Look at all the Bisonville bigots only talking up white players." Well, bullshit. He could have pointed out that the three guys are all North Dakotans but he decided to make it a race thing. Well, tell us some stories about Carlton Littlejohn and Billy Turner then.

Perhaps he just didn't think things through enough before posting . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Tatanka
12-13-2011, 03:02 PM
Perhaps he just didn't think things through enough before posting . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I've done that before.

gotts
12-13-2011, 03:07 PM
I've derped that before.

ten characters

Tatanka
12-13-2011, 03:21 PM
ten characters

Yep, that too. :rofl:

Castor Troy
12-13-2011, 03:31 PM

I would never call anyone a bigot, but people stick to who they know and I get that, as stated in my earlier post. I shared stories about people who impressed me. To CAS's comment, I did not think my post through to the extent of how Tony would take it. Now I have been educated accordingly and we all move on.

CAS4127
12-13-2011, 03:41 PM
I would never call anyone a bigot, but people stick to who they know and I get that, as stated in my earlier post. I shared stories about people who impressed me. To CAS's comment, I did not think my post through to the extent of how Tony would take it. Now I have been educated accordingly and we all move on.

Tony once claimed I read too much into one of his posts and later said he was sorry that I couldn't read (see my sigline) . . . . . Consequently, all must now be right in the world.

tony
12-13-2011, 03:47 PM

I sound much more testy in print than in person... most of the time :)

Personally, I'd love to hear stories about Preston Evans (remember the video of him from HS?) And I'm still waiting for JustinTyme to tell us about Jensen's play at Waupaca (23-2 as a starter.) Lots of great players, obviously- some we talk a lot about and have read alot about (Marcus Williams, DJ McNorton, Brock Jensen) but there are some guys we hardly ever hear/read about (Cornick, Ojuri, and, heck, even Holloway - a guy who has been having a season that puts him among the greatest WRs to ever play at NDSU.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alKmS1Tzn5c

KilldeerBison
12-13-2011, 04:15 PM
While I don't personally know him, I think Austin Richard is having a great season. Each game, he seems to get the toughest D lineman and has performed exceptional. It has been fun watching him being able to handle the other teams "best". I will be watching him this week. Another guy that is really fun to watch has been Kyle Emanuel on kick coverage, he just destroys guys in the wedge. Last week I saw him launch #36 or #39, like the guy was shot from a cannon.

CaBisonFan
12-13-2011, 04:16 PM
While I don't personally know him, I think Austin Richard is having a great season. Each game, he seems to get the toughest D lineman and has performed exceptional. It has been fun watching him being able to handle to other teams "best". I will be watching him this week. Another guy that is really fun to watch has been Kyle Emanuel on kick coverage, he just destroys guys in the wedge. Last week I saw him launch #36 or #39, like the guy was shot from a cannon.

Oh man...that was a great hit !! And I agree about Austin.

phxbison
12-13-2011, 05:23 PM
Well said Tony you nailed it !! I also thought that the comment was completely uncalled for. The thread's tone had much more to do with kids that were North Dakota kids and nothing to do with the tone of their skin.

1998braves64
12-23-2011, 01:26 AM
An article (http://www.hillsborok12.com/were-proud-of-our-andrew/) about Andrew Grothmann in the Hillsboro Burro school news page...

JustinTyem
12-23-2011, 04:23 AM
I sound much more testy in print than in person... most of the time :)

Personally, I'd love to hear stories about Preston Evans (remember the video of him from HS?) And I'm still waiting for JustinTyme to tell us about Jensen's play at Waupaca (23-2 as a starter.) Lots of great players, obviously- some we talk a lot about and have read alot about (Marcus Williams, DJ McNorton, Brock Jensen) but there are some guys we hardly ever hear/read about (Cornick, Ojuri, and, heck, even Holloway - a guy who has been having a season that puts him among the greatest WRs to ever play at NDSU.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alKmS1Tzn5cSorry Tony,I have a terrible short memory from my stroke,Refresh my memory and Ill try to clean it up.