PDA

View Full Version : GSU Defense?

BisonTeacher
12-11-2011, 01:48 PM
Lots of talk about that triple option...but anyone have any details on the GSU defense?

HandoEX
12-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Been wondering about this too. Maybe a GSU fan can enlighten us? All the posts from their fans I've read focus on their offense.

Defense wins championships.

AEBison1998
12-11-2011, 07:33 PM
They run a 4-3

NDSUdonny
12-11-2011, 07:48 PM
"GSU Defense?" is exactly the way I would put it. They really haven't needed much of one in the playoffs, giving up 35.5 a game. But they will need one come Saturday.

1998braves64
12-11-2011, 09:06 PM
Seem like in the Maine game they came up with big INT and stops when they helped GSU the most so I guess they're opportunistic as they say? Wasn't impressed with their defense but when the defense only has to spend 15 mins on the field... t hey probably don't have to be the best. In other words our best defense will be keeping their TO offense on the sidelines as much as possible!

oldfart
12-11-2011, 09:51 PM
With the TOP that we've had the last two games, the defense hasn't had to do much. However the longer we are on the field, the better we adjust. The qb from odu was the best I have ever seen. Barring any injuries he'll be playing on Sundays and he's just a freshman. Your qb may be good but this kid was phenomenal. Almost beat us singlehandedly. That said, we play better against teams that mix it up. Brent Russell anchors a good defensive line that can get after you. Our best defense is our offense because they will keep your offense off the field. Quick strike passing teams have hurt us but we match up well with those that run a balanced attack. Should be a good game to watch.

Gully
12-11-2011, 09:53 PM
With the TOP that we've had the last two games, the defense hasn't had to do much. However the longer we are on the field, the better we adjust. The qb from odu was the best I have ever seen. Barring any injuries he'll be playing on Sundays and he's just a freshman. Your qb may be good but this kid was phenomenal. Almost beat us singlehandedly. That said, we play better against teams that mix it up. Brent Russell anchors a good defensive line that can get after you. Our best defense is our offense because they will keep your offense off the field. Quick strike passing teams have hurt us but we match up well with those that run a balanced attack. Should be a good game to watch.

Well then you shouldn't have too much trouble with NDSU. Easy win for GSU, I'm sure.

BlueBisonRock
12-11-2011, 09:57 PM
Well then you shouldn't have too much trouble with NDSU. Easy win for GSU, I'm sure.

Good point Gully. I still think I will go to the game so I can have one more tailgate experience. I am greatful the the GSU program for allowing us to host and have another party on the tundra.

Now that we have Mrs. TAB grabbing the camera and taking the shots, we can only have a better tailgate experience.

oldfart
12-11-2011, 10:00 PM
:)

You asked about the defense. Feel free not to show up. We're not too proud to let you forfeit.:)

Swaghook
12-11-2011, 10:05 PM
I don't think their D or special teams are by any means up to par. If our D plays well against the TO this game will be winnable. I can see MWill taking a kick off return to the house against their special teams.

Gully
12-11-2011, 10:08 PM

You asked about the defense. Feel free not to show up. We're not too proud to let you forfeit.:)

I doubt I would ever ask you anything.

westriver bison
12-11-2011, 10:17 PM
I doubt I would ever ask you anything.

See the name of the thread? Somebody did.

HandoEX
12-11-2011, 10:19 PM

Maybe we can buy out, can you tell us how that process works?

oldfart
12-11-2011, 10:44 PM
Maybe we can buy out, can you tell us how that process works?

It's easy. We'll be happy to send you our AD. I'm sure we could get a collection up to throw in some cash to go with him

NDSUstudent
12-12-2011, 06:41 AM
Some more info...

DE 94 Roderick Tinsley 6'3 284
[27 tackles, 1.5 TF

DT 96 Blake Riley 6'1 278
23 tackles, 1.5 TFL, .5 sack

NG 66 Brent Russell 6'2 291
* *SoCon Defensive Player of the year *First team All-SoCon
61 tackles, 15 TFL, 6.5 sacks

DE 92 John Douglas 6'2 245
* Second team All-SoCon
32 tackles, 9 TFL, 5 sacks, 1 INT, 1 BU

WILL 37 Antwione Williams 6'3 212
25 tackles, 1 TFL

MIKE 10 Josh Rowe 5'11 219
68 tackles 4.5 TFL, 1 INT, 1 FF

BAN 13 Darius Eubanks 6'0 222
62 tackles, 1 sack, 2 INT, 1 FF

CB 34 Laron Scott 5'9 179
* First team All-SoCon
49 tackles, 2 TFL, 3 INT, 17 BU

CB 21 Hudson Presume 5'9 168
37 tackles, 1 TFL, 1 sack 3 INT, 1 BU

FS 29 Deion Stanley 5'9 190
*SoCon All-Freshman
77 tackles, 1 INT, 1 FF, 7 BU

SS 18 Lavelle Westbrook 6'0 215
53 tackles, 1 TFL, 1 INT, 3 BU

Bisontug
12-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Some more info...

NG 66 Brent Russell 6'2 291
* *SoCon Defensive Player of the year *First team All-SoCon
61 tackles, 15 TFL, 6.5 sacks[/B]

After watching the Maine game, this guy is for real.... Maine tried double teams and he was still in the backfield making plays...

ValleyBoy
12-12-2011, 12:40 PM
After watching the Maine game, this guy is for real.... Maine tried double teams and he was still in the backfield making plays...
That would be ManPigBear #66

Every team that Georgia Southern has played has double team #66. Brent Russell has earned his nickname because his is a Beast on the D line.

The ManPigBear is lookin to feast on Bison Steaks this weekend.

oldfart
12-12-2011, 01:08 PM

Every team that Georgia Southern has played has double team #66. Brent Russell has earned his nickname because his is a Beast on the D line.

Don't tell them that valleyboy, they'll turn it into a homoerotic, incestuous, beastiality thread. At least that's been my experience thus far with these guys. They're repressed on every level

mgbison
12-12-2011, 01:17 PM
I went to gsufans.com and have never seen a bunch of babies.

Our fans act just like yours, so before you rip on our fanbase look in the mirror. The same crap that gets posted on here gets posted on your message board.

oldfart
12-12-2011, 01:30 PM
I went to gsufans.com and have never seen a bunch of babies.

Our fans act just like yours, so before you rip on our fanbase look in the mirror. The same crap that gets posted on here gets posted on your message board.

I've never seen our board use the language I've seen here. If they did, it got deleted quickly, but yeah, fans are fans

Bisontug
12-12-2011, 03:19 PM

ManPigBear.... Holy shit !!! We are so screwed !!! It's bad enough when mythological creature are 1/2 man and 1/2 beast, but this abomination..wow...he is only 1/3 man and 2/3 beast (smelly & hairy ones at that)..:facepalm2: Hopefully these fractions aren't confusing to ya'll.... just trying to figure out this defensive legend you call MPB..

TAILG8R
12-12-2011, 03:27 PM
ManPigBear? Seriously?

Worst nickname ever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lzyd91NFx-Y

oldfart
12-12-2011, 03:30 PM
Try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyAK7Y9lT3A&feature=related

TAILG8R
12-12-2011, 03:34 PM
Lame.

10 chars

tony
12-12-2011, 03:47 PM
I've never seen our board use the language I've seen here. If they did, it got deleted quickly, but yeah, fans are fans

I'd happily delete your account, oldfart, if that will help you out.

oldfart
12-12-2011, 03:58 PM
I'd happily delete your account, oldfart, if that will help you out.

You guys would miss me. Probably be a good idea to delete it Saturday around the 3rd quarter of the game so you don't hear the "I told ya so". You bison girls are waaay too sensitive.

BISONBRI53
12-12-2011, 03:58 PM
[QUOTE=ValleyBoy;573038]That would be ManPigBear #66

So your mom/sister/wife plays football for GS? NICE!!! Good seats?

JSUBison
12-12-2011, 04:21 PM
I actually went to the Georgia Southern @ Elon game which was mid season. I had a feeling NDSU and GSU would meet up later in the year and wanted to get a look at them. Braves had a pretty good take, they are an opprotunistic defense, and play their positions well. The ball bounces their way often, and that goes to being where they need to be. However as I was watching this game, I thought their secondary would be at a disadvantage going against the Bison's passing game. At that time in the Bison season, Brock was clicking, and I honestly thought Brock and co. could have success. Not saying their secondary is rubbish, but that is a weak spot for GSU, they haven't performed well against the pass. With Brock injured and our WR situation being what it is, they can't fully be exploited. Holloway and Veldman will have success against them though if used.

Overall they have a good defense, but going up against a good defense isn't what worries me. It's the GSU offense. Rush rush rush rush rush, lull you to sleep and then Jaybo chucks it downfield to a wide open reciever. Just check out some of CaBison's videos to see Bentrim and Simdorn execute that sequence. This game will be like a 2011 Bison defense agaisnt a 1980's Bison offense.