PDA

View Full Version : I'll leave it at this....

MontBison
12-10-2011, 05:51 AM
Mods feel free to move this wherever necessary but I have to give bison football fans a feel of the Montana football program. Now a lot of you say there is much to be desired with the Montana athletic program and football in particular, but let's look at this fact. The University of Montana was a BS member before Boise State AND was a very comparable football program to Boise State when Boise was a member of the BS. Now how and the hell can you tell me NDSU has a lot to be desired of Montana football when we have been in the game for 3 years and Montana has been for 40+. The fact is Montana is going NOWHERE, they will always be that team in FCS that is "so awesome and loud on TV". Yet the fact is BSU said fuck this shit were going big time and look what they did. Idaho still has U of I and ISU so don't give me BSU is the only team to support. The fact is U o M IS small time and what they did tonight SHOULD be expected yet their fan base is to ignorant to understand this. Sorry was at WAGrizz tonight and I'm not jelouse of what they have, I can only imagine NDSU 40 some years from now in 1AA. I hope to god were still not there, and I'll leave it at that.

JustinTyem
12-10-2011, 05:54 AM
Mods feel free to move this wherever necessary but I have to give bison football fans a feel of the Montana football program. Now a lot of you say there is much to be desired with the Montana athletic program and football in particular, but let's look at this fact. The University of Montana was a BS member before Boise State AND was a very comparable football program to Boise State when Boise was a member of the BS. Now how and the hell can you tell me NDSU has a lot to be desired of Montana football when we have been in the game for 3 years and Montana has been for 40+. The fact is Montana is going NOWHERE, they will always be that team in FCS that is "so awesome and loud on TV". Yet the fact is BSU said fuck this shit were going big time and look what they did. Idaho still has U of I and ISU so don't give me BSU is the only team to support. The fact is U o M IS small time and what they did tonight SHOULD be expected yet their fan base is to ignorant to understand this. Sorry was at WAGrizz tonight and I'm not jelouse of what they have, I can only imagine NDSU 40 some years from now in 1AA. I hope to god were still not there, and I'll leave it at that.I was thinking the same thing!!!!!!!

Twentysix
12-10-2011, 07:23 AM
Staying in the FCS for now is a good thing, but at some point it becomes pathetic. Montana may have reached patheticness... NDSU has a ways to go.

I would note, I compared the UM vs UNI game to an FBS vs FCS game..

jimmyptubas
12-10-2011, 07:44 AM
Does it become "pathetic" to rule the roost? Montana is in a pretty favorable position i'd say and i think turning down their invitation to the WAC was very intelligent. Boise State is awesome and I cheer for them, but how many anomalies can there be?

Twentysix
12-10-2011, 07:51 AM
Does it become "pathetic" to rule the roost? Montana is in a pretty favorable position i'd say and i think turning down their invitation to the WAC was very intelligent. Boise State is awesome and I cheer for them, but how many anomalies can there be?

Yes it does, when you could grow your fanbase easily and maintain success at a higher level it becomes pathetic.

NDSU's final years in DII were in the pathetic era. We have a ways to go at the FCS level.

RadBison
12-10-2011, 08:03 AM
Yes it does, when you could grow your fanbase easily and maintain success at a higher level it becomes pathetic.

NDSU's final years in DII were in the pathetic era. We have a ways to go at the FCS level.

I take issue with the 2nd part of this. DII has become pathetic but other than 2000 NDSU wasn't exactly competing at a high level much of its last decade in DII (meaning only 1 deep playoff run in a LONG time, at least by NDSU standards). I don't feel NDSU was "ruling the roost" in DII, at least not during the 90's after 1990.

Before I get ripped keep in mind that I thought then and of course still think now that getting the hell out of DII was the best thing for the Bison, it just came about 10 years later than it should have.

Twentysix
12-10-2011, 08:17 AM
I take issue with the 2nd part of this. DII has become pathetic but other than 2000 NDSU wasn't exactly competing at a high level much of its last decade in DII (meaning only 1 deep playoff run in a LONG time, at least by NDSU standards). I don't feel NDSU was "ruling the roost" in DII, at least not during the 90's after 1990.

Before I get ripped keep in mind that I thought then and of course still think now that getting the hell out of DII was the best thing for the Bison, it just came about 10 years later than it should have.

Ruling the roost has nothing to do with it. Your current records at your level don't mean alot either.

NDSU was long past due to move up and grow the fanbase grow attendance, grow the level of competition etc.

2020 or 2030 will probably be when NDSU should start moving on to the next level unless something drastic happens to the NCAA levels before then.

If NDSU is FCS in 2050 and nothing has drastically changed at that time, it will be pathetic again.

Unless NDSU becomes purley academic by that time, which I doubt.

University of Chicago is a good example of a low athletic standard that is not pathetic. They were a Big Ten charter member.

And by 10 years late you mean 30 years late.

Had NDSU moved up when IAA was formed, I seriously think we would be FBS at this time. We did not however, and because of that must spend an appropriate amount of time enjoying FCS football.

jimmyptubas
12-10-2011, 08:25 AM
I do indeed understand what you are saying TwentySix, but I guess I just have such distaste for the current structure of the FBS that I don't want to move up. If it would be good for our program and would grow our fan base I would no doubt be behind it.

Twentysix
12-10-2011, 08:37 AM
I do indeed understand what you are saying TwentySix, but I guess I just have such distaste for the current structure of the FBS that I don't want to move up. If it would be good for our program and would grow our fan base I would no doubt be behind it.

We are not ready, and we shouldn't be ready. Had different decisions been made decades ago we would be ready.

Wally
12-10-2011, 09:45 AM
http://www.workwithremco.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Big-Fish-Small-Pond.jpg

gizmo
12-10-2011, 10:56 AM
Exactly what does UM have that NDSU doesn't? I see it as UM having a justifiably proud base of alumni and fans, just like NDSU. Last night's football game was just one game and it in no way makes UM a better university than UNI.....or NDSU. Universities are about a lot more than sports teams.

4mcruenomore
12-10-2011, 11:24 AM
Hey Mont, atleast you didn't get arrested!!! Ha! It's all good, don't dwell on the Friz, it's BISON TIME! See everyone in Fargo!

TheBisonator
12-10-2011, 11:52 AM
I'd really like to know who the athletic directors were in the 80's and 90's. I know we had a couple weeny presidents in Ozbun and Plough, but I don't know if those men were of much a force in keeping NDSU athletics down.

We were able to jump to DI when I-AA was formed, I guess there were enough people in charge at NDSU at that time who were able to convince enough other people that we didn't have the money or resources to jump, even though I'm 100 percent certain we did at the time.

All water under the bridge now, I suppose. We may have to play catch-up for the next decade to erase the stupidity of our athletic department over the course of 20+ years, but I believe we'll be just fine in the long run. I truly believe that the people with the power at NDSU understand that playing playoff games against schools like Pitt State and Northwest Missouri in FB is something we don't want to ever happen again.

BisonTeacher
12-10-2011, 12:49 PM

Ditto this. I think its crazy talk to think we would ever be in a bCS bowl game that matters. Just not gonna happen. So we would be in the Avis, ChikFila Music city bowl? which plays a month from now? Who TF cares? Id rather be in FCS playoffs hands down. IF FBS switched to a playoff format then I think it might be ok...but until then its just stupid.

stevdock
12-10-2011, 12:56 PM
Ditto this. I think its crazy talk to think we would ever be in a bCS bowl game that matters. Just not gonna happen. So we would be in the Avis, ChikFila Music city bowl? which plays a month from now? Who TF cares? Id rather be in FCS playoffs hands down. IF FBS switched to a playoff format then I think it might be ok...but until then its just stupid.

AGREED!!!!! Plus until the increased scholarships are taken care of financially I get absolutely tired of this crap. Football team would have to add 20 scholarships. Which means adding 20 female scholarships because we are not going to cut a successful program or two just to move up in football. So until someone is going to donate 40 scholarships every year at a minimum please stop bringing this up.

herdmember
12-10-2011, 01:28 PM
I'm envious that no one left their packed, outdoor, cold stadium in a blowout. It would be fun if NDSU gets to that point even in the dome.

Go Bison!

scbison91
12-10-2011, 07:56 PM
I'd really like to know who the athletic directors were in the 80's and 90's. I know we had a couple weeny presidents in Ozbun and Plough, but I don't know if those men were of much a force in keeping NDSU athletics down.

We were able to jump to DI when I-AA was formed, I guess there were enough people in charge at NDSU at that time who were able to convince enough other people that we didn't have the money or resources to jump, even though I'm 100 percent certain we did at the time.

All water under the bridge now, I suppose. We may have to play catch-up for the next decade to erase the stupidity of our athletic department over the course of 20+ years, but I believe we'll be just fine in the long run. I truly believe that the people with the power at NDSU understand that playing playoff games against schools like Pitt State and Northwest Missouri in FB is something we don't want to ever happen again.

From what my father tells me, we were ready to go IAA back in the late 70,s, with UND, NDSU, USD and SDSU all going together but a legislature from SD, Augustana grad, shot it down...

IBleedYellow
12-11-2011, 12:40 AM
I want to see fans not leaving the 'Dome until the buzzer sounds first(IN A PLAYOFF GAME, gosh people!). Then we can talk about moving up.

NDSUstudent
12-11-2011, 01:18 AM
Montana is in the right place, seriously who wants to join the crappy WAC and play in the weedeater bowl? I certainly don't.

If they got an invite to a real conference I'm sure they'd consider.

Ginsbach
12-11-2011, 01:34 AM
Mods feel free to move this wherever necessary but I have to give bison football fans a feel of the Montana football program. Now a lot of you say there is much to be desired with the Montana athletic program and football in particular, but let's look at this fact. The University of Montana was a BS member before Boise State AND was a very comparable football program to Boise State when Boise was a member of the BS. Now how and the hell can you tell me NDSU has a lot to be desired of Montana football when we have been in the game for 3 years and Montana has been for 40+. The fact is Montana is going NOWHERE, they will always be that team in FCS that is "so awesome and loud on TV". Yet the fact is BSU said fuck this shit were going big time and look what they did. Idaho still has U of I and ISU so don't give me BSU is the only team to support. The fact is U o M IS small time and what they did tonight SHOULD be expected yet their fan base is to ignorant to understand this. Sorry was at WAGrizz tonight and I'm not jelouse of what they have, I can only imagine NDSU 40 some years from now in 1AA. I hope to god were still not there, and I'll leave it at that.

No one really supports Vandal or Bengal football. Even in Pocatello (home of ISU) you see more people wearing Boise State gear than any other school. The turnout at the ISU football games is terrible.

Bisonguy
12-11-2011, 01:37 AM
From what my father tells me, we were ready to go IAA back in the late 70,s, with UND, NDSU, USD and SDSU all going together but a legislature from SD, Augustana grad, shot it down...

NDSU and UND applied to the Big Sky in 81 and got shot down.

silkamilkamonico
12-11-2011, 02:14 AM
Montana is in the right place, seriously who wants to join the crappy WAC and play in the weedeater bowl? I certainly don't.

Agreed. I've been having a blast in these playoff weeks. The day NDSU moves up to FBS is the day NDSU Football is only a passing until basketball season for myself.

AjaxTheMighty
12-11-2011, 02:14 AM

No offense MontBison, (and I'm saying no offense so you can't take offense to it) but this is possibly the top 5 stupidest posts since Lakes was on here...just plain stupid. Mods, please move it to a trash can where you can find the hopes and dreams of people who live in an alternate reality. You probably would take an interest in the Bowl game in a few weeks. It's called the Prairie St. John's Bowl. Go check it out.

MontBison
12-11-2011, 02:57 AM
No offense MontBison, (and I'm saying no offense so you can't take offense to it) but this is possibly the top 5 stupidest posts since Lakes was on here...just plain stupid. Mods, please move it to a trash can where you can find the hopes and dreams of people who live in an alternate reality. You probably would take an interest in the Bowl game in a few weeks. It's called the Prairie St. John's Bowl. Go check it out.

Haha thanks asshole, this post was never intended to say we should move up it was more to say that I hope to god that in 30 years we don't have just 2 D1AA titles to our name and we would go 10+ years in between winning those national championships. I think it's dumb to say I wish we were more like UofM, when they have had WAY more time at this level then we've had.

CaBisonFan
12-11-2011, 03:13 AM

Dr. Bob Entzion was the A.D. during a good part of that era. Have you watched the vid of us thrashing UND when he tried to talk Rocky into holding the score down? Bob was a trainee at UND and we hired him to run the athletic department!! ...un...friggin...believable...

Pitt St was nothing to laugh at in the day. They were special. No problem there. They were a lot like us in terms of quality.

The FBS will have a playoff system within 5 years. Write it down. In time, we'll be there doing what we're doing now. Most of the FBS programs are no better than ours...with the exception of some of the extremely elite programs like LSU, Alabama, etc.

Montana was extremely foolish not to accept an invitation to the WAC. It's right where they belong. They are capable of playing with almost anyone...just like us.

CaBisonFan
12-11-2011, 03:15 AM
NDSU and UND applied to the Big Sky in 81 and got shot down.

Compliments of Montana...guaranteed.

scbison91
12-11-2011, 03:25 AM
Dr. Bob Entzion was the A.D. during a good part of that era. Have you watched the vid of us thrashing UND when he tried to talk Rocky into holding the score down? Bob was a trainee at UND and we hired him to run the athletic department!! ...un...friggin...believable...

Pitt St was nothing to laugh at in the day. They were special. No problem there. They were a lot like us in terms of quality.

The FBS will have a playoff system within 5 years. Write it down. In time, we'll be there doing what we're doing now. Most of the FBS programs are no better than ours...with the exception of some of the extremely elite programs like LSU, Alabama, etc.

Montana was extremely foolish not to accept an invitation to the WAC. It's right where they belong. They are capable of playing with almost anyone...just like us.

Agree FBS will have playoff soon.. It will start with 4 teams, then eventually expand to 8 then maybe 16 over next 5 to 10 years...

Bisonguy
12-11-2011, 03:30 AM
Agree FBS will have playoff soon.. It will start with 4 teams, then eventually expand to 8 then maybe 16 over next 5 to 10 years...

22 teams minimum if it's a championship field, unless there's a major schism in FBS.

90 BISON
12-11-2011, 04:04 AM
22 teams minimum if it's a championship field, unless there's a major schism in FBS.

Or the destruction of multiple conferences due to the formation of mega- conferences.:hide::hide::hide:

AjaxTheMighty
12-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Haha thanks asshole, this post was never intended to say we should move up it was more to say that I hope to god that in 30 years we don't have just 2 D1AA titles to our name and we would go 10+ years in between winning those national championships. I think it's dumb to say I wish we were more like UofM, when they have had WAY more time at this level then we've had.

Hey, I said, no offense! It is abundantly clear that you live in Griz country and you are tired of hearing about Griz this and Griz that. I live near and teach in West Fargo. I have never heard or seen anyone talk about the Griz with envy. NEVER! In fact, I don't hear anyone talk about the Griz here unless it's who they play in the playoffs or if they are playing the Whioux.

squarepeg
12-11-2011, 02:23 PM

Montana got destroyed by the worst team in the SEC this year.

PaBizon
12-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Hey, I said, no offense! It is abundantly clear that you live in Griz country and you are tired of hearing about Griz this and Griz that. I live near and teach in West Fargo. I have never heard or seen anyone talk about the Griz with envy. NEVER! In fact, I don't hear anyone talk about the Griz here unless it's who they play in the playoffs or if they are playing the Whioux.

Then you must not know anyone that discusses and knows 1AA football. When people discuss successful programs at this level Montana/Montana St are ALWAYS in the discussion. They have success at this level hence the reason why people would like to get to their level. If his is a top 5 all time stupid post then yours is #4.

Oh and it's abundantly clear you live in West Fargo :)

IndyBison
12-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Or the destruction of multiple conferences due to the formation of mega- conferences.:hide::hide::hide:
My prediction (some based on something told to me by an NCAA VP several years ago) is the 64ish BCS schools will be in their own division and the rest of FBS will be combined with the top FCS schools in a middle division. The rest will either end up in a 3rd division or be the bottom of the 2nd division. Then playoffs will occur.

PaBizon
12-11-2011, 04:02 PM
My prediction (some based on something told to me by an NCAA VP several years ago) is the 64ish BCS schools will be in their own division and the rest of FBS will be combined with the top FCS schools in a middle division. The rest will either end up in a 3rd division or be the bottom of the 2nd division. Then playoffs will occur.

It's a matter of when not if. Sooner the better.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
12-11-2011, 04:26 PM

Completely disagree.

Mont. has an awesome program. One that we should look up to. I think they are smart staying at the FCS level. I know that Boise State notched it up, but the odds of that working out for everyone are slim. Sometimes you have to know where you are and what you have for resources.

For our fans to call Mont. pathetic is, well, pathetic. Mont. has a storied program and has been around a long time. Maybe, after we have been as successful as them for as long as them, we can start to talk trash. Not until then.

This kind of arrogant brovado is exactly what pisses other fan bases off and gives our fanbase a bad name. It is completely uncalled for and should stop immediately.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
12-11-2011, 04:28 PM

This^^^^^^^^^^