PDA

View Full Version : ESPN allows The CW Twin Cities to air DIII game

MN_BISON
12-09-2011, 02:45 PM
From The CW Twin Cities Facebook page, they are airing the St. Thomas vs Whitewater game. I thought ESPN owned the rights to all of these games? If so, why are they allowing local Minneapolis stations to air the games and not Fargo or ND stations?

From The CW FB page:

The CW Twin Cities will be airing the NCAA Football Division III Semi-Final game, University of St. Thomas (http://www.facebook.com/UofStThomasMN) vs. Wisc-Whitewater, Sat at 2:30p. Go Tommies! | University of St. Thomas - Men's Football (http://www.facebook.com/USTFootball)

http://www.facebook.com/thecwtc

HerdBot
12-09-2011, 03:29 PM
From The CW Twin Cities Facebook page, they are airing the St. Thomas vs Whitewater game. I thought ESPN owned the rights to all of these games? If so, why are they allowing local Minneapolis stations to air the games and not Fargo or ND stations?

From The CW FB page:

http://www.facebook.com/thecwtc

That is pretty crazy. Is ESPN3 broadcasting it? I know it's available throughout much of Minnesota

Da_Bizon
12-09-2011, 03:32 PM
That is pretty crazy. Is ESPN3 broadcasting it? I know it's available throughout much of Minnesota

http://espn.go.com/college-football/schedule/_/group/35

It's on ESPN3 and Gameplan.

HerdBot
12-09-2011, 03:40 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/schedule/_/group/35

It's on ESPN3 and Gameplan.

I officially hate ESPN. What a bunch of ass clowns. Fuck ESPN. It is clear that they are about money and that's it. Sports is secondary. Nobody gives a flying fuck about those games. We're talking billionaires fighting with billionaires. I have this sudden urge to go out of my way fuck with espn3.

Vitojr130
12-09-2011, 03:42 PM
I officially hate ESPN. What a bunch of ass clowns. Fuck ESPN. It is clear that they are about money and that's it. Sports is secondary. Nobody gives a flying fuck about those games. We're talking billionaires fighting with billionaires. I have this sudden urge to go out of my way fuck with espn3.

Bring it up with Anonymous and suggest DDOS.

CAS4127
12-09-2011, 04:09 PM
I think gabe is taking his morning nap after eating his morning Snicker Bar (mini) snack.

roadwarrior
12-09-2011, 04:11 PM
I wonder how many more ESPN threads we will see?

duluthbison
12-09-2011, 04:15 PM
It's because no one cares about DIII, thus ESPN didn't stand to make much money off the game. They probably made more by selling the rights to the CW Twin Cities than they would have made otherwise.

They won't give up the rights to the DI tournament because it's going to be a cash cow for them.

MN_BISON
12-09-2011, 04:23 PM

I think I will make one a day for the rest of the year, how does that work for you?

MN_BISON
12-09-2011, 04:29 PM
It's because no one cares about DIII, thus ESPN didn't stand to make much money off the game. They probably made more by selling the rights to the CW Twin Cities than they would have made otherwise.

They won't give up the rights to the DI tournament because it's going to be a cash cow for them.

Please explain the part in bold, thanks in advance. Also, if this "cash cow" was really just that; it would be on GamePlan or maybe the ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU. It's not, it's only on ESPN3, whereas the DII and DIII games are at least on GamePlan; which to me says ESPN thinks they can make more $$$$ with the DIII content.

56BISON73
12-09-2011, 04:32 PM
Please explain the part in bold, thanks in advance. Also, if this "cash cow" was really just that; it would be on GamePlan or maybe the ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU. It's not, it's only on ESPN3, whereas the DII and DIII games are at least on GamePlan; which to me says ESPN thinks they can make more $$$$ with the DIII content.

I thinks its more of the fact they HAVE to show D2 AND 3.

MN_BISON
12-09-2011, 04:39 PM
I thinks its more of the fact they HAVE to show D2 AND 3.

Well if that's the case, who agreed to the ESPN/NCAA agreement in regards to FCS playoff games? The ND AG?:D:eek::omfg::rimshot:

pwbnd
12-09-2011, 04:43 PM
My bet is that the several thousand dollars they'd make by making our game available on GamePlan pales in comparison to the money they'd make if, through customer anger/pressure/requests, they get CableOne to pick up ESPN3 in Fargo. They're hoping that people light up CableOne's phones and demand that ESPN3 be made available.

Of course what they fail to realize is that no matter how many calls CableOne in Fargo recieve, they'll say they only got two or three calls and they don't want to add fees to their internet service.

mnriverbison
12-09-2011, 04:47 PM
This situation sucks. I don't blame ESPN for being "all about profit". That is their job. It doesn't make this suck less, but it is their job to make money and not to donate content to users.

iceberg
12-09-2011, 04:54 PM

was posted a couple days ago ;)
http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?25925-Call-ESPN...NOW-!!-Get-this-sucker-on-TV-!!&p=569552#post569552

as for why its being shown on local TV....its the semifinals. Thats why

Hoofbeats
12-09-2011, 05:21 PM
I guess what I don't understand is ESPN not willing to also offer the NDSU-Lehigh game on any of their Gameplan station(s). Now if they are already booked by contractural agreeement to air other games on that network then I guess my only option would be to change my internet provider (I have Qwest/Century Link...whatever they're calling themselves today!).

I, like many others on this board have contacted ESPN asking them to put it on Gameplan and in effect, telling them that I am willing to pay the money they would charge for a one day subscription....but to no avail. Qwest on the other hand, reported this morning that they are working on a "contractual agreement" (their words, not mine) to air ESPN3, but it wouldn't be in place by tommorrow.

It's frustrating to be willing to pay the subscription fee to either outlet (ESPN or Qwest) but not be able to. It's a shame when the so-called "Leader in Sports Programming", doesn't allow the consumer the chance to view the game as they could have sold the rights to a local station and made out very well in the process. Dan Hammer reported earlier this week that HOAK network (channels 4 and 11) had approached ESPN to buy the rights but were politely told "no way".

heffray
12-09-2011, 05:29 PM

What's with the thread topic police? I'm sorry if this is off the topic, but holy crap, who cares? If you don't like ESPN Threads in the Football Forum, then don't read them. They have to do with the football program, though, so I don't understand your reasoning. I don't get you guys, lighten up.

MN_BISON
12-09-2011, 06:04 PM
was posted a couple days ago ;)
http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?25925-Call-ESPN...NOW-!!-Get-this-sucker-on-TV-!!&p=569552#post569552

as for why its being shown on local TV....its the semifinals. Thats why

Damnit, I hate it when that happens..............Thanks Iceberg.....:blush:

pwbnd
12-09-2011, 06:17 PM
I guess what I don't understand is ESPN not willing to also offer the NDSU-Lehigh game on any of their Gameplan station(s). QUOTE]

To quote myself...:)

[QUOTE=pwbnd;570896]My bet is that the several thousand dollars they'd make by making our game available on GamePlan pales in comparison to the money they'd make if, through customer anger/pressure/requests, they get CableOne to pick up ESPN3 in Fargo.

By not bowing to pressure and putting the game on GamePlan, they put more pressure on CableOne to pay for ESPN3.

WYOBISONMAN
12-09-2011, 08:09 PM
What's with the thread topic police? I'm sorry if this is off the topic, but holy crap, who cares? If you don't like ESPN Threads in the Football Forum, then don't read them. They have to do with the football program, though, so I don't understand your reasoning. I don't get you guys, lighten up.

You have 124 posts.......don't mess with the police....... ;)

heffray
12-09-2011, 11:31 PM
You have 124 posts.......don't mess with the police....... ;)

Thanks WYO, I know you meant this be funny, but you raise a good point...

What's the post threshold in order make your opinion matter on Bisonville? 6,000? 7,000? I don't make the cut either way... also, I'm not a member of your TOHBTC Country Club, and probably never will be, so looks like nothing I say matters.

Thanks, Bisonville, you're awesome.

Bisonguy
12-10-2011, 12:02 AM

What's the post threshold in order make your opinion matter on Bisonville? 6,000? 7,000? I don't make the cut either way... also, I'm not a member of your TOHBTC Country Club, and probably never will be, so looks like nothing I say matters.

Thanks, Bisonville, you're awesome.

Correct on all counts! Congrats, you win a cookie!

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnmQ3G-XNzwpT5PLgPywa1HzGbYyFLVpCeyncos_GYzrYEzQPh

Bisonwinagn
12-10-2011, 02:03 AM

Why is nobody complaining about the Cable companies in Fargo who have chosen not to carry ESPN3??? They deserve just as much blame for not negotiating to carry this. Besides you would have much more influence on them than you will with ESPN.

4mcruenomore
12-10-2011, 02:05 AM

Thanks, 4mcrue, you're awesome.

Yes, I am awesome, thank you for noticing.

RadBison
12-10-2011, 03:42 AM
Why is nobody complaining about the Cable companies in Fargo who have chosen not to carry ESPN3??? They deserve just as much blame for not negotiating to carry this. Besides you would have much more influence on them than you will with ESPN.

Its been debated here and all over the country for at least a year or two (however long ESPN3 has been around) and the idea of charging, at the ISP level, for content is something NONE of us should support! If you want internet service to become just like cable in that you have to pay (name a price) for the service because you want to be able to get (name your website) because you can't get JUST your website but you have to buy yours and 35 others that you'll never go to, well then keep calling CableOne, Qwest/Centurylink, etc and put the pressure on them. Me, I've been calling my provider every day the past few weeks telling them to keep fighting ESPN, don't give in, don't pay the fees. If ESPN wins they won't be the last. I have no problem going to a website and then CHOOSING to pay for its content. I'm absolutly offended when I'm told I have to pay for access to the site if I ever plan to use it or not. (much like the fact that I have to pay 10 cents a month for Lifetime on DirectTV, give me my 10 cents and take that channel away but I don't get the choice, its there if I watch it or not)

Bisonguy
12-10-2011, 03:58 AM
Its been debated here and all over the country for at least a year or two (however long ESPN3 has been around) and the idea of charging, at the ISP level, for content is something NONE of us should support! If you want internet service to become just like cable in that you have to pay (name a price) for the service because you want to be able to get (name your website) because you can't get JUST your website but you have to buy yours and 35 others that you'll never go to, well then keep calling CableOne, Qwest/Centurylink, etc and put the pressure on them. Me, I've been calling my provider every day the past few weeks telling them to keep fighting ESPN, don't give in, don't pay the fees. If ESPN wins they won't be the last. I have no problem going to a website and then CHOOSING to pay for its content. I'm absolutly offended when I'm told I have to pay for access to the site if I ever plan to use it or not. (much like the fact that I have to pay 10 cents a month for Lifetime on DirectTV, give me my 10 cents and take that channel away but I don't get the choice, its there if I watch it or not)

Exactly, although it might be a little different back in the dial-up era when you actually had more options for "providers".