PDA

View Full Version : Post Big East Expansion Realignment

Bison bison
12-09-2011, 01:57 PM
http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20111208/NEWS01/112080337

(http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20111208/NEWS01/112080337)So what we have now are four solid conferences (winners): PAC 12, Big 10, the SEC, and the ACC.

Losers: the Big 12 - which needs to have a chat with Texas and the Big East which is nothing but a mess.

And a kids: WAC, MWC, CUSA, MAC, and the Sun Belt.

A MWC-CUSA merger is in the works, but that is just going through the motions - there aren't enough good schools left and the merger will piss off a bunch of members.

The WAC is in a relatively good position as the MWC has lost a lot of cache. Have to wonder if Fresno State and Nevada will even move - that is write a giant check so they can play to the Carolinas for games.

I really like FCS.

WYOBISONMAN
12-09-2011, 03:17 PM
The Mountain West went from a pretty nice conference a few years back, to a depleted relic today. Pretty unfortunate for those of us that are WYO fans. I do think the WAC is worse off than the MWC......

Bison bison
12-09-2011, 06:51 PM
Any thoughts on what happens next?

Does the MWC merge with the CUSA?

Take Utah State and maybe San Jose State and kill the WAC?

Lose Nevada and Fresno back?

The bowl system really screwed things up.

WYOBISONMAN
12-09-2011, 08:19 PM
Any thoughts on what happens next?

Does the MWC merge with the CUSA?

Take Utah State and maybe San Jose State and kill the WAC?

Lose Nevada and Fresno back?

The bowl system really screwed things up.

I don't see how the MWC has any other choice than to merge with CUSA.

Bison bison
12-09-2011, 08:25 PM
I don't see how that helps. They become the Super WAC II.

Each conference will lose members. Why not just add Utah State and UTEP?

WYOBISONMAN
12-09-2011, 08:30 PM
I don't see how that helps. They become the Super WAC II.

Each conference will lose members. Why not just add Utah State and UTEP?

Good point......this really spells disaster for some of our programs out here. We now only have CSU left as a solid rival. Too bad. The games against BYU were hate filled and exciting.......Utah was also a great rivalry. Now those are gone. WYO football will be a lot less fun next year.

Tatanka
12-09-2011, 08:45 PM
Good point......this really spells disaster for some of our programs out here. We now only have CSU left as a solid rival. Too bad. The games against BYU were hate filled and exciting.......Utah was also a great rivalry. Now those are gone. WYO football will be a lot less fun next year.

Anyone still want to move "up" into this cloisterfack?

Bison bison
12-09-2011, 09:06 PM
I bet the Mountain West would pick up the phone if NDSU called.

Unfortunately it is December 2011 and not June 2010.

KSBisonFan
12-10-2011, 02:25 AM
I bet the Mountain West would pick up the phone if NDSU called.

Unfortunately it is December 2011 and not June 2010.
They may be calling us and I hope we have caller ID and can ignore them and stay where we are.

riceweb
02-14-2012, 07:16 PM
There's a really good opportunity here for NDSU to make the jump to the Mountain USA merged conference as part of a Northern division, where Montana, NDSU, Northern Iowa and few other folks make the leap. Could mean real TV exposure, fun variety of opponents, a chance to ride the program's momentum into the FBS... AND!

The Mountain USA is looking at ways of incorporating semifinal games and a championship game, along with bowl games. It's like the best of both FCS/FBS worlds.

riceweb
02-14-2012, 07:20 PM
They may be calling us and I hope we have caller ID and can ignore them and stay where we are.

I don't know... you wouldn't enjoy a division of the Mountain USA frankenconference with Wyoming, Montana, Northern Iowa, and South Dakota State? I think that'd be a hoot.

Grizzled
02-14-2012, 08:53 PM
There's a really good opportunity here for NDSU to make the jump to the Mountain USA merged conference as part of a Northern division, where Montana, NDSU, Northern Iowa and few other folks make the leap. Could mean real TV exposure, fun variety of opponents, a chance to ride the program's momentum into the FBS... AND!

The Mountain USA is looking at ways of incorporating semifinal games and a championship game, along with bowl games. It's like the best of both FCS/FBS worlds.

Northern Iowa could not afford to make a move right now that would require them any more travel than they have now. They are already scheduling two FBS teams to bring in additional cash. They could not afford the additional scholorships, the additional travel, the additional coaches salaries (all ready can't afford to pay their coaches competitive salaries), the cost of adding another woman's sport to cover the additional men's salaries. They are not in any position to make a jump. Anything involving Montana would have to include Montana St. and I don't know if they are ready for a move right now either.

If, and its a big if, we were to make the jump, why do we need any partners? We could do it solo and we would be tied to no one. This would probably be for football only anyways.

BisBison
02-14-2012, 11:57 PM
Northern Iowa could not afford to make a move right now that would require them any more travel than they have now. They are already scheduling two FBS teams to bring in additional cash. They could not afford the additional scholorships, the additional travel, the additional coaches salaries (all ready can't afford to pay their coaches competitive salaries), the cost of adding another woman's sport to cover the additional men's salaries. They are not in any position to make a jump. Anything involving Montana would have to include Montana St. and I don't know if they are ready for a move right now either.

If, and its a big if, we were to make the jump, why do we need any partners? We could do it solo and we would be tied to no one. This would probably be for football only anyways.

A move would also include TV money, which is something the members of the MVFC operate without at this time. I'm not sure at the end of the day the TV money may be more than the additional expenses. Don't know, but just saying.

SamsRams
02-15-2012, 12:08 AM
A move would also include TV money, which is something the members of the MVFC operate without at this time. I'm not sure at the end of the day the TV money may be more than the additional expenses. Don't know, but just saying.

Mountain West TV deal is about the worst in the country.

EndZoneQB
02-15-2012, 02:41 AM

They likely won't anymore. Or, "worst" will mean "less awful" than it currently is...

TheBisonator
02-15-2012, 03:31 AM

I have The Mtn. on DirecTV, and every conference FB and BB game is televised either on The Mtn., CBSCS or NBCSN.

Grizzled
02-15-2012, 03:46 PM

It will take a lot of TV money to cover the extra costs I menitoned for UNI to make the move. If money weren't already an issue I would say they could possibly handle it if the opportunity arose. With the apparent lack of funds they currently have, I don't feel it would be enough to put a competitvely fund their program.

Bison bison
02-15-2012, 04:27 PM
If we can get Montana, Montana State, and South Dakota State to go I say we go too.

Twentysix
02-15-2012, 07:43 PM
If we can get Montana, Montana State, and South Dakota State to go I say we go too.

If we could keep that kind of cohesiveness(sp?) I would agree.

The only real loss would be playing UNI.

Who gives a shit about W ill or ill st or mo st... seriously.

Herd
02-16-2012, 01:53 AM

If the MWC/CUSA had a championship game with an opportunity for that Champion to join an all FBS playoff championship format, I'd be in. The top FBS conferences, however, will only entertain a 4 team championship, keeping the smaller conference out of the loop. All the FBS teams recently with a legit shot have really moved to the top 6 conferences. Boise, Utah, TCU, etc . . . they are now all in the PAC12, BI0, B12, BE, ACC, SEC. Any conf that NDSU could join is basically locked out of a championship.

However, If the conferences could be widdled down to 8, maybe a 12 team format could be introduced for a championship??? 8 Conf Champions, 4 at Large, seeded by Ranking, with the top 4 team getting a 1st round bye? Just merge the 5 smaller FBS conference to get 8 champions. This has some potential.

Playoff Teams by Conference in a Given year:
1) P12 (2 teams)
2) B10 (2 teams)
3) B12 (2 teams)
4) BE (1 team)
5) ACC (1 team)
6) SEC (2 teams)
7) MAC/Sunbelt (1 team)
8) MWC/USA/WAC (1 team)

Rounds 1&2 on campus in December. Rounds 3&4 labeled as Championship Bowls in January. Teams outside the top 12 could play in worthless bowl games to their hearts content. If NDSU could join the MWC with a chance to be a champion and join a 12 team format like this, I'd be all for FBS football. Just think what a playoff format like this would do to recruiting balance across the nation.

WYOBISONMAN
02-16-2012, 12:11 PM
Good god people.....NDSU is not even on the radar of the MWC. The MWC is working on the alliance with CUSA so they are matched with programs that have been established in FBS. The last thing the MWC members want is to become involved with a bunch of programs moving up. This is not at all a realistic discussion. Those of you that think the phones of the better FCS programs are about to ring are sadly mistaken.:facepalm:

Herd
02-16-2012, 10:22 PM
Not sure why you have a burr in your saddle Wyo . . . but NDSU at 85 scholarship (hell at 63) would be competitive in year 1 in the new MWC/CUSA grouping. Year 1 in all sports! I'm not saying that it is going to happen or that it should happen, but if the following conditions were met, I'd be on board.

1) A meaningful Conference Championship game for football is available for the MWC/CUSA. (Check)
2) The MWC/CUSA Champ get a bid to the a 12 team NC playoff (could be likely someday soon)
3) An all sports bid would be offered to NDSU. Not a 1 sport bid. (Not available yet, but if they are moving to 24 in the combined group, we could be in the discussion at some point)

If conditions 1 & 2 were met, why wouldn't you actively pursue 3. No reason not to! The old FCS playoff system is better arguement would be dead. IMO, Montana and NDSU would be clammoring to join the MWC if a championship game and a NC shot were avaialble.

WYOBISONMAN
02-16-2012, 11:58 PM
You misunderstood me......I am saying the MWC schools have absolutely no interest in NDSU. Hell, if a conference invite were to drop in on us, we would indeed have to give it a look. But, my point is.....that ain't gonna happen.

Herd
02-17-2012, 02:38 AM
A couple of years ago, I would have agreed with you. Have you looked at the new MWC? It is no longer an exclusive club, and is a couple more poached teams away from being WACish, with emphsis on Ish.

riceweb
02-17-2012, 02:25 PM
A few bloggers on SBNation have been talking Montana and NDSU to the MWC/C-USA in a positive light, so I don't think the idea is that ridiculous. Whether or not the MWC/C-USA is interested is another story; they may well think that they're above adding FCS programs. On the other hand, Montana and NDSU are solid schools in growing states, and they're hardly in the same class as most FCS schools.