PDA

View Full Version : Spadola suspended

Pages : [1] 2

ndsubison1
12-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Dom just tweeted it.

BREAKING: #Lehigh (http://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23Lehigh) WR Ryan Spadola has been SUSPENDED for #FCS (http://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23FCS) Quarterfinal vs #NDSU (http://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23NDSU)

(also lakes has the text!)

NDSU '96
12-08-2011, 07:46 PM
@DomIzzoWDAYDom Izzo

BREAKING: #Lehigh WR Ryan Spadola has been SUSPENDED for #FCS Quarterfinal vs #NDSU

CAS4127
Is it in-house or NCAA related?!

aces1180
Shit just got real!

Tatanka
12-08-2011, 07:47 PM
This sucks. :smh:

Get ready for a shitpile of unintended consequences. :facepalm:

HandoEX
12-08-2011, 07:48 PM
This is absolute BS. Can't say I am too dissappointed, but I couldn't imagine what kind of shit storm this would cause if Spadola was a Bison. Unreal.

Bison03
12-08-2011, 07:48 PM
WOW!! If this is true, that is a HUGE loss. I want an official statement.

aces1180
12-08-2011, 07:49 PM
This sucks. :smh:

Get ready for a shitpile of unintended consequences. :facepalm:

Like what?

CAS4127
12-08-2011, 07:50 PM

Hello!!!!! McFly!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?

NDSUstudent
12-08-2011, 07:51 PM
is it in-house or ncaa related?!

ncaa........

coloradobison

NCAA per Izzo twitter

westnodak93bison
I'm not surprised.

NDSU92
Like what?

Like we only beat them cuz their best wideout was suspended

Bison"FANatic"
12-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Hello!!!!! McFly!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?

1+1 not equaling 2 :)

56BISON73
What will be the ramifications against the Bison for the tweets they did using the same word. Or was this about the tweets to opposing players?

aces1180
Per Michael Lore the Lehigh beat writer...

The decision was made by the NCAA. A full statement will be released soon. #Lehigh

https://twitter.com/#!/michaellore

NDSU '96
Like a public discussion of why Bison players tweeted the same word but have not been suspended.

CAS4127
12-08-2011, 07:53 PM
1+1 not equaling 2 :)

If it is the NCAA acting, then I kneel humbly before my master!!:)

TransAmBison
Our players should not have used the language they used...but they were not referring to other teams...they were referring to friends. Not the same.

NDSUstudent
What will be the ramifications against the Bison for the tweets they did using the same word. Or was this about the tweets to opposing players?

Like I said before....don't taunt opposing players on social media and never use racially charged language. It drew a complaint from Towson who turned it into the NCAA after their game.

bisonaudit

I fail to see how this is our problem. They're not going to engrave an "*" on the ring should our boys be fortunate enough to earn one.

HandoEX
Color of skin, imo.

Tatanka
Well, for starters, even a Forum "investigative journalist" will take the reason for suspension and look for similar patterns in other (more local) college/high school athletes. Every two bit hack that can barely spell Pulitzer will be all over surfacing (and then misinterpreting) what they find. Things will get blown way out of proportion, and every action has a reaction.

aces1180

Lol...All teams play games with people missing...We could say that we lost the YSU game because Drevlow was out.

Bison"FANatic"
12-08-2011, 07:54 PM

I still think it is going to be all about the tweets being to the opposing player and not just the use of the word.

CAS4127
12-08-2011, 07:54 PM
Per Michael Lore the Lehigh beat writer...

https://twitter.com/#!/michaellore

I think there is more to the story than just the one tweet with the "N" word . . . . we shall see.

TransAmBison
12-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Looks like that Lehigh Guy was correct...

tony
Like what?

This sucks for Spadola and his teammates.

It also sucks for Bison players because now their twitter feeds are going to be analyzed. Of course, the original release said that a big part of the problem was that he was talking smack with players of the other team. If it's an NCAA thing instead of a Lehigh thing, then you can pretty much guarantee that every football program in the FCS is going to crack down on twitter / facebook usage.

On a related note, I guess this means I should take LehighGuy off of supervised mode... still, he really abused our hospitality so I might find myself too busy today.

Civil06
I think there is more to the story than just the one tweet with the "N" word . . . . we shall see.

I agree. The statement will be quite interesting.

NDSU '96
Our players should not have used the language they used...but they were not referring to other teams...they were referring to friends. Not the same.I'm not looking forward to having that distiction debated in the local paper.

NDSUFREAK
12-08-2011, 07:56 PM
There is a difference between the NDSU tweets and this lehigh guy and his tweet...it was about another team, directed towards that team and also it was a white guy using that word. Agree with it or not that is how it is. Why the hell is a white guy, that goes to lehigh, use that word anyway if he isn't somehow trying to prove something?

All in all though, this just changed the college sports world.

bisonaudit
Does NDSU Athletics have a policy concerning its player's use of social media? Does the NCAA?

MLB just put one in their new collective barganing agreement.

If NDSU doesn't have one now they probably should by close of business on Friday.

ndsubison1
http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/2011/12/spadolas-status-for-playoff-game-in-jeopardy.html

A release from both the NCAA and Lehigh are expected at about 4 p.m. today.

Tatanka
Our players should not have used the language they used...but they were not referring to other teams...they were referring to friends. Not the same.

Agree in principle. The court of public opinion will not be so polite.

aces1180
This sucks.

Bison players' twitter feeds being analyzed. Of course, the original release said that a big part of the problem was that he was talking smack with players of the other team. If it's an NCAA thing instead of a Lehigh thing, then you can pretty much guarantee that every football program in the FCS is going to crack down on twitter / facebook usage.

On a related note, I guess this means I should take LehighGuy off of supervised mode... still, he really abused our hospitality.

Did you delete those NDSU/Twitter posts in the initial thread?

NDSU92
12-08-2011, 07:57 PM
Lol...All teams play games with people missing...We could say that we lost the YSU game because Drevlow was out.

You ever been on AGS? Ever?

TateMosersneighbor
12-08-2011, 07:57 PM
I for one am not holding my breath on this, believe it when I see it.

LeHigh is still a very good football team!

aces1180
12-08-2011, 07:58 PM
You ever been on AGS? Ever?

Who cares what opposing fans say on a message board...Every team has adversity, no matter the reasons....

TransAmBison
Agree in principle. The court of public opinion will not be so polite.
I don't agree with the use of the word in any way shape or form. Just wanted to get that out there.

CAS4127
Did you delete those NDSU/Twitter posts in the initial thread?

If you didn't, then delete that entire thread right now. My bet is that the media already saw that thread and those tweets tho, but no need to leave them out there for easy pickens.

NDSUstudent
Bohl should immediately have every player delete their twitter account...just not worth it...

HandoEX
12-08-2011, 07:59 PM
Bohl should immediately have every player delete their twitter account...just not worth it...
I hope to God this happens immediately!

Tatanka
12-08-2011, 08:00 PM
I don't agree with the use of the word in any way shape or form. Just wanted to get that out there.

Agree with that 100%. It's a word I grew up around unfortunately. It is not a word my children will grow up around.

GOB1SON
12-08-2011, 08:03 PM
It is a problem for a number of reasons. The biggest is one Tatanka points out, which is that every social communication medium used by players will will now be scrutinized by the media, which could be bad. Students are not known for their good decision making skills (that is what college is for, to learn and mature) and now every photo, every status update, every tweet will be read by a bunch of hounds looking to make a mountain out of a mole-hill.

Another issue is that now, no matter what the outcome, this will be the main story. If NDSU wins, it is tainted; if Lehigh wins, it will be despite the loss of Spadola. The game and its combatants will get lost in the ridiculousness of some dumbass NCAA decision.

NDSU '96
If you didn't, then delete that entire thread right now. My bet is that the media already saw that thread and those tweets tho, but no need to leave them out there for easy pickens.1252

Why does this come to mind?

SoundsLikeSamhumann
Justice is served, you CANT BE A WHITE KID FROM LEHIGH and call the Towson Dbacks Ni---- PERIOD, END OF STORY.

a black kid from houston can call another black kid from chicago that word. (holloway to sam ojuri on twitter)

SEE THE DIFF?? Done.

BadlandsBison
12-08-2011, 08:04 PM
I smell ESPN Outside the Lines special. That I won't be watching.

I believe this word shouldn't be used, period.

tjbison
12-08-2011, 08:06 PM
Justice is served, you CANT BE A WHITE KID FROM LEHIGH and call the Towson Dbacks Ni---- PERIOD, END OF STORY.

a black kid from houston can call another black kid from chicago that word. (holloway to sam ojuri on twitter)

SEE THE DIFF?? Done.

No reason to use the word EVER no matter what color, gender, context etc....especially when you are on a NCAA affiliated team that is one of 8 left playing in the playoffs....just stupid and to think that its"ok" for anyone to use it in reference to another person is just plain stupid

NorthernBison
12-08-2011, 08:06 PM
I really hope that everybody keeps in mind that NDSU had ZERO to do with this. Towson apparently filed a complaint that brought the NCAA into it.

bisonaudit
12-08-2011, 08:07 PM
It is a problem for a number of reasons. The biggest is one Tatanka points out, which is that every social communication medium used by players will will now be scrutinized by the media, which could be bad. Students are not known for their good decision making skills (that is what college is for, to learn and mature) and now every photo, every status update, every tweet will be read by a bunch of hounds looking to make a mountain out of a mole-hill.

Another issue is that now, no matter what the outcome, this will be the main story. If NDSU wins, it is tainted; if Lehigh wins, it will be despite the loss of Spadola. The game and its combatants will get lost in the ridiculousness of some dumbass NCAA decision.

Lets be clear about who made the dumb decision here.

NDSU '96
12-08-2011, 08:08 PM

SEE THE DIFF?? Done. please email that to The Forum. That should head off any further investigation.

aces1180

It's not NDSU's fault this happened...They didn't make the kid send out the Tweet, nor did they report it to the NCAA...If anyone is to blame, besides the kid himself, it would be Towson for allegedly reporting the incident to the NCAA. The Bison just happen to be the next opponent. Like I said before, all teams have to play through adversity.

HoopsBison
WOW...very unfortunate. Lessons definately to be learned whether it was warranted or not.

Grizzled

SEE THE DIFF?? Done.

There is no difference. If this was done by the NCAA the rule is going to have to be "black and white" (no pun intended), if the NCAA starts to take color of skin into consideration is it not than being "hostile and abusive" and applying different rules to different races. The NCAA can't start making judgement calls on this. Its one way or the other. On the street lakes there is a difference. If this is now an NCAA rule, no difference.

GOB1SON
12-08-2011, 08:11 PM
It's not NDSU's fault this happened...They didn't make the kid send out the Tweet, nor did they report it to the NCAA...If anyone is to blame, besides the kid himself, it would be Towson for allegedly reporting the incident to the NCAA. The Bison just happen to be the next opponent. Like I said before, all teams have to play through adversity.

When did the media start using common sense? :)

56BISON73
12-08-2011, 08:13 PM
There is a difference between the NDSU tweets and this lehigh guy and his tweet...it was about another team, directed towards that team and also it was a white guy using that word. Agree with it or not that is how it is. Why the hell is a white guy, that goes to lehigh, use that word anyway if he isn't somehow trying to prove something?

It was just a matter of time. They cant use the excuse--"its just the internet" anymore.

Bison"FANatic"
12-08-2011, 08:14 PM
Everybody just take a deep breath and just wait for the NCAA statement to come out. I think it is going to be more along the lines of taunting the opposing team than the use of the N word, that just made it worse. Think about it if you can't even raise your hand while going into the endzone after a touchdown how are they going to allow taunting before the game off the field of play. Lets just see what the press release says.

runtheoption
12-08-2011, 08:17 PM

SEE THE DIFF?? Done.

Used to be you could say stuff on the internet, right Sam?

CAS4127
12-08-2011, 08:18 PM
Easy, easy, my friends. S's tweet was to an opposing team during the NCAA PO's. The Bison tweets were between players on the same team. The former is NCAA's business, the latter is an in-house deal.

That said, if losing one player loses the game for you, than you are not that good of a "team". Also, keep in mind that we are not going to be playing our hardest-hitting DB, who is also one of our best overall DB's. We have also won several games this year without a 100% DJ, and 2-3 where he really did not play at all. We also did not play Drevlow for at least two games, and he is one of our best, if not the best DL. In short, we have nothing to be ashamed of if we win, and Lehigh really has no excuses. Spadola didn't have the "number" S on his jersey, did he?!!

HooliganBison
12-08-2011, 08:19 PM

I could not agree with you more. Is the NCAA going to search twitter for EVERY ncaa athlete and start going through their tweets? I would imagine every AD across the country is having an emergency meeting with all coaches and athletes telling them to shut down their twitter accounts. There will be fans from teams trying to find tweets that could get players suspended because they don't like a certain school. I guess the NCAA just made up a new position that they can hire all their friends into "Twitter Compliance Officer."

Grizzled
12-08-2011, 08:19 PM
Everybody just take a deep breath and just wait for the NCAA statement to come out. I think it is going to be more along the lines of taunting the opposing team than the use of the N word, that just made it worse. Think about it if you can't even raise your hand while going into the endzone after a touchdown how are they going to allow taunting before the game off the field of play. Lets just see what the press release says.

While I agree with you, the NCAA might be opening up a whole can of worms here. If he would have typed that without "the word", do you think Towsand files a complaint to the NCAA? It really is going to be a pretty interesting story that won't be over by this weekend.

NDSUstudent
12-08-2011, 08:20 PM
Easy, easy, my friends. S's tweet was to an opposing team during the NCAA PO's. The Bison tweets were between players on the same team. The former is NCAA's business, the latter is an in-house deal.

That said, if losing one player loses the game for you, than you are not that good of a "team". Also, keep in mind that we are not going to be playing our hardest-hitting DB, who is also one of our best overall DB's. We have also won several games this year without a 100% DJ, and 2-3 where he really did not play at all. We also did not play Drevlow for at least two games, and he is one of our best, if not the best DL's.

Agree 100% with this, great post.

tojo70
It's official. Here's the statement:
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2011/december/public+reprimand+and+suspension+issued+to+lehigh+u niversity+football+student-athlete

Gully
The sun will come up tomorrow, everyone just relax.

Gobison88
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2011/december/public+reprimand+and+suspension+issued+to+lehigh+u niversity+football+student-athlete

Here is the NCAA official statement....

Old Lehigh Fan
Very dangerous precedent for NCAA. I expect this to become a national discussion. Honestly, a double standard is being used to effect the outcome of a game, in my opinion. I don't blame NDSU at all. Towson seems to be the creep here.

I felt certain Spadola would have been HUGE vs. NDSU. He's that good. I regret that neither team will ever know "what if." That's no way to win, or lose, particularly when a team is being affected by politics and not an unfortunate injury. I have no more interest in the game.

HerdBot
Looks like that Lehigh Guy was correct...

I thought he was full of crap but I'm glad he wasn't! This is a big deal. I'm sure they will still manage to put up some good numbers with a great QB but wow!

Bison"FANatic"
12-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Yep if I am AD every twitter account just got shut down ASAP.

Gobison88
12-08-2011, 08:22 PM

That said, if losing one player loses the game for you, than you are not that good of a "team". Also, keep in mind that we are not going to be playing our hardest-hitting DB, who is also one of our best overall DB's. We have also won several games this year without a 100% DJ, and 2-3 where he really did not play at all. We also did not play Drevlow for at least two games, and he is one of our best, if not the best DL. In short, we have nothing to be ashamed of if we win, and Lehigh really has no excuses. Spadola didn't have the "number" S on his jersey, did he?!!

Yep...I agree with this one!

HooliganBison
12-08-2011, 08:22 PM
I would rather he wasn't suspended. I want to play a team at full stregnth so there are no excuses at the end of the game why they lost.

silkamilkamonico
12-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Suspended? Well F, I was hoping for a good game. Who will we play next week? It better be Georgia Southern.

aces1180
12-08-2011, 08:23 PM
The Division I Football Championship Committee said football student-athlete Ryan Spadola was being reprimanded and held out of Lehigh’s quarterfinal contest, against North Dakota State University this Saturday (Dec. 10), for using an inappropriate and repugnant racial reference to describe Towson University student-athletes on his Twitter page in the days leading up to their FCS preliminary round match-up.

There's the key right there...

bisonaudit
12-08-2011, 08:24 PM
I could not agree with you more. Is the NCAA going to search twitter for EVERY ncaa athlete and start going through their tweets? I would imagine every AD across the country is having an emergency meeting with all coaches and athletes telling them to shut down their twitter accounts. There will be fans from teams trying to find tweets that could get players suspended because they don't like a certain school. I guess the NCAA just made up a new position that they can hire all their friends into "Twitter Compliance Officer."

I don't think you'll see them actively monitoring tweets any more than they actively monitor for anything else, which isn't much.

What they will probably do is issue or update their social media policy and require every conference and every school to institute their own social media policies, which they probably should've had already.

coloradobison
12-08-2011, 08:25 PM
Very dangerous precedent for NCAA. I expect this to become a national discussion. Honestly, a double standard is being used to effect the outcome of a game, in my opinion. I don't blame NDSU at all. Towson seems to be the creep here.

I felt certain Spadola would have been HUGE vs. NDSU. He's that good. I regret that neither team will ever know "what if." That's no way to win, or lose, particularly when a team is being affected by politics and not an unfortunate injury. I have no more interest in the game.

Are you a fan of Lehigh, or of Spadola? I still cheer for the Bison regardless if a player is suspended. This should be a great game regardless.

Gully
12-08-2011, 08:25 PM
I thought he was full of crap but I'm glad he wasn't! This is a big deal. I'm sure they will still manage to put up some good numbers with a great QB but wow!

I see little to be "glad" about here. NDSU doesn't need other players suspended to win.

Bison"FANatic"
12-08-2011, 08:26 PM

Yep the "reference to describe Towson University student-athletes" is what made this come about.

Wally
I know nothing of the Lehigh player's mental make-up, but don't underestimate a team's ability to rally when "their backs are against the wall" or "the NCAA is out to get us" mindset.

They aren't going to lay down and losing a top player might inspire other teammates to kick their game up a notch.

Bison03

You have to admit, losing Spadola is a pretty big deal. He is their #1 target throwing the ball. He was just named an AFCA All American. His stats are ridiculous: 12 games, 96 catches, 1614 yards, 11 touchdowns. They will still throw the ball well with their other good receivers, but he was one of the best in FCS. Big loss.

Gobison88
12-08-2011, 08:28 PM

You are practically saying that having Spadola out that makes or breaks your offense...if you depend so much on one player you cannot say your team is the best. A great team should be made up of equally complimentary parts.

It stinks that if NDSU wins this, their win, particularly from Lehigh's POV, will be tainted; Also, regardless of the fact that they are favored anyway, but if Lehigh should pull off a victory without Spadola the grandiosity will be explosive?!?!?

Grizzled

Does it matter if its used to describe a player on another team or a player on your own team. I take the release as suspending him for using the word to describe a person. I guess if I'm a Lehigh fan, I'm pretty upset with the NCAA right now.

Gully
Why are people so concerned what Lehigh's fans will say IF they lose? I couldn't care less what they think. Honestly, if we beat Lehigh and lose in the semis it's not that big of a difference anyway. From here, there is one goal and that will be attained (by someone) in Frisco, TX and a national championship will not be tainted by 1 WR being suspended.

aces1180
12-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Does it matter if its used to describe a player on another team or a player on your own team. I take the release as suspending him for using the word to describe a person. I guess if I'm a Lehigh fan, I'm pretty upset with the NCAA right now.

I think race has a heck of lot to do with too, even though they don't come out a say it....

aces1180
Why are people so concerned what Lehigh's fans will say IF they lose? I couldn't care less what they think. Honestly, if we beat Lehigh and lose in the semis it's not that big of a difference anyway. From here, there is one goal and that will be attained (by someone) in Frisco, TX and a national championship will not be tainted by 1 WR being suspended.

Agreed!!!!

CAS4127
Are you a fan of Lehigh, or of Spadola? I still cheer for the Bison regardless if a player is suspended. This should be a great game regardless.

Indulge me while I quote myself:

We also beat JMU last week without Heagle, Gimmestad (two key starters) and Smith, who is currently our best WR. Lehigh fans who are being crybabies need to wipe away the crocodile tears.

Wally

Right on. I totally agree.

MNLonghorn10
Lololollol

KilldeerBison
12-08-2011, 08:31 PM
The football committee was very disappointed with the unsportsmanlike action taken by the student-athlete,” said Jim O’Day, chair of the Division I Football Championship Committee and director of athletics at the University of Montana.

Looks like it was the "insult" towards the other team that got the NCAA reaction.

Grizzled
12-08-2011, 08:32 PM
I think race has a heck of lot to do with too, even though they don't come out a say it....

Your right, so is the NCAA now allowing athletes of one race to act one way and punishing athletes of another race for doing the same thing.

I'm playing a little devil's advocate here. I don't agree with what this kid did and would have been kind of dissappointed if his coach would have let this go without punishment. I truely believe Coach Bohl would have punished our kid if in the "EXACT" same situation. I think though that the NCAA just made a ruling that is going to be fought by a lot of people. There cannot be wiggle room for race when they govern as many athletes as they do.

TateMosersneighbor

Yep, don't care. Still need to see it officially to believe it. We still need to play the damn game and play well to win. MWill needs to lock down their other stud and Lum still will sling it 50 times on us.

coloradobison
Indulge me while I quote myself:

We also beat JMU last week without Heagle, Gimmestad (two key starters) and Smith, who is currently our best WR. Lehigh fans who are being crybabies need to wipe away the crocodile tears.

Agreed - no argument here.

SoundsLikeSamhumann
12-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Mcfooly being the uneducated idiot loser that he is keeps saying that lehigh wr RE TWEETED a friends post THIS IS 100% FALSE someone tell that jackass.

REMEMBER HE CALLED THE TOWSON ST DBACKS THOSE WORDS......a predominently black group.....he deserves to be suspended the rest of the year

KilldeerBison
12-08-2011, 08:36 PM
Mcfooly being the uneducated idiot loser that he is keeps saying that lehigh wr RE TWEETED a friends post THIS IS 100% FALSE someone tell that jackass.

REMEMBER HE CALLED THE TOWSON ST DBACKS THOSE WORDS......a predominently black group.....he deserves to be suspended the rest of the year

This is the same spin that the Lehigh coach was trying to put out there, he was only using a friends words, not his own.

NDSUstudent
12-08-2011, 08:36 PM
Doesn't Lehigh have an all-world QB? I hope Lehigh's team embraces this woe is me attitude....

aces1180
12-08-2011, 08:37 PM
McFeely just said that according to his source, Bohl told his players to stop posting on Twitter...FWIW

HoopsBison
12-08-2011, 08:37 PM
Racial insults directed towards opponents wont be tolerated, coaches and players will be suspended and if a fan were to make this comment they would be removed from the stadium.

It sucks that it went down like this. Towson looks kind of lame for reporting it after losing to them but it is what it is.

aces1180
12-08-2011, 08:40 PM
He's the official statement from Lehigh...

http://www.lehighsports.com/sports/football/lehigh_statement_on_the_suspension_of_a_football_s tudent-athlete.aspx

Civil06
12-08-2011, 08:40 PM
McFeely just said that according to his source, Bohl told his players to stop posting on Twitter...FWIW

Brock is still tweeting.

aces1180
12-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Brock is still tweeting.

Well, that settles that...McFeely's source is wrong, lol.

BFKasper14
12-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Here's the NCAA release...

KTF
12-08-2011, 08:44 PM
I think tweeting is fine if used approriately. If NDSU requires student athletes to stop tweeting then they should abide.

56BISON73
12-08-2011, 08:46 PM

“Regrettably, one of our student-athletes received late last week a twitter message from a former high school teammate that used an inappropriate and repugnant racial reference to describe Towson team members and their intentions regarding the game with Lehigh. Our student-athlete initiated his response to this message by quoting the inappropriate reference. The use of this racially insensitive characterization is unacceptable and inconsistent with the values and expectations of our Lehigh community and football program. . While the inappropriate language did not originate with our student-athlete, when he reused the words, he made them his."

CAS4127
12-08-2011, 08:46 PM
He's the official statement from Lehigh...

http://www.lehighsports.com/sports/football/lehigh_statement_on_the_suspension_of_a_football_s tudent-athlete.aspx

Boy, Lehigh has some balls!! Take a look at these shots at the NCAA in its official statement:

The poor judgment by our student in responding to an inflammatory message by using the same inappropriate language ultimately served to disaffect the FCS Championship

I believe it is our responsibility to help students understand that this language is unacceptable, whether the medium is a social media posting, casual conversation, or within the confines of a song.

aces1180
12-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Boy, Lehigh has some balls!! Take a look at these shots at the NCAA in its official statement:

Rumor is that Towson played a song that contained similar language in pre game warm-ups...I read that on another board, but I'm not sure if it was CS or AGS.

BisoninNWMN
12-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Agree with that 100%. It's a word I grew up around unfortunately. It is not a word my children will grow up around.

Down in TX where I spend part of the year, the "N" word is used all the time in converstaion. It is the culture of the south...

I grew up in western ND and that word was never used by anyone. But in some parts of the country it is used as part of normal conversation. Racism goes both ways down south....it is embedded in everyone down there...

CAS4127
12-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Rumor is that Towson played a song that contained similar language in pre game warm-ups...I read that on another board, but I'm not sure if it was CS or AGS.

That's what I meant-->Lehigh is basically saying what many here have said, that the NCAA needs to catch up with the times and that there shouldn't be double standards.

TateMosersneighbor
12-08-2011, 08:51 PM
The NCAA figured out that they couldn't make money on this deal in conjunction with ESPN, so they suspended him. Obviously this sucks for them, but we still need to play the game.

Ok I admit it, I haven't the foggiest how to see a tweet or do a tweet...

Tatanka
12-08-2011, 08:52 PM

Don't think these are shots at the NCAA...

I found the statement from Lehigh to be of very high integrity. I like these guys.

CAS4127
12-08-2011, 08:54 PM
Don't think these are shots at the NCAA...

I found the statement from Lehigh to be of very high integrity. I like these guys.

I don't care what you think, White Boy!!!:biggrin:

Grizzled
12-08-2011, 08:54 PM
That's what I meant-->Lehigh is basically saying what many here have said, that the NCAA needs to catch up with the times and that there shouldn't be double standards.

I agree with this CAS and I think the NCAA will have a fight on its hands for this. Like I said after lakes post, they are walking a fine line by basically allowing athletes of one race to do this while punishing athletes of another.

Also, its officially time to retire the #2's a #*#* chant. I haven't heard it much this year but this wouldn't be a good weekend for it to come out.

CaBisonFan
12-08-2011, 08:55 PM
Like I said before....don't taunt opposing players on social media and never use racially charged language. It drew a complaint from Towson who turned it into the NCAA after their game.

This is the real answer. It drew a complaint from Towson. And it's about who it was directed at, the exact wording, and the responses...if any, etc. Seems a bit harsh...but that's the world that we live in. I wish the young man well. It's called a mistake. He'll have trouble living this down, regardless. Kind of a sad day actually. This goes way beyond the importance of one game, or its outcome as far as we're concerned. I'm not cheering.

I'd bet that this isn't over with if it was an ncaa ruling. We all know how wise they are. Not saying the ruling is wrong...just saying that they would have trouble finding Bethlehem.

Tatanka
12-08-2011, 08:55 PM
Down in TX where I spend part of the year, the "N" word is used all the time in converstaion. It is the culture of the south...

I grew up in western ND and that word was never used by anyone. But in some parts of the country it is used as part of normal conversation. Racism goes both ways down south....it is embedded in everyone down there...

I spent quite a bit of time in Texas for work as well, and agree. It's a word used quite often.

And unfortunately racism exists everywhere. One key difference is in the south it's above the surface.

HooliganBison
12-08-2011, 08:56 PM
I would like to know what song townson played before the game so I could look up the lyrics

Tatanka
12-08-2011, 08:57 PM
Also, its officially time to retire the #2's a #*#* chant. I haven't heard it much this year but this wouldn't be a good weekend for it to come out.

Holy shit, yes.

HoopsBison
12-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Email from Coach Bohl to all students,

Dear Students,

As we prepare for our game on Saturday, I wanted to take a couple of minutes to reach out to you, and thank you for your outstanding support throughout the year. I want you to know how important you are to making the Fargodome an outstanding atmosphere for competition. We appreciate your enthusiasm and good sportsmanship. You are helping bring positive recognition to NDSU from other fans and coaches from opposing teams.

I also want to reiterate the importance of your positive influence. There are some isolated instances of negative behavior by a few individuals. We are opposed to any forms of unsportsmanlike comments toward the opposing team or chanting negative phrases, such as anti-gay or racial chants. When this occurs, it hurts our team and our reputation, as well as the opposing players and fans. NDSU is welcoming to all people, in all situations. NCAA also has strict guidelines and penalties.

Thank you again for your outstanding support and enthusiasm. Our competitors envy the student support we enjoy. Working together to increase our sportsmanship will only enhance our success.

Craig Bohl

NDSUBowler
I don't mind anything that makes the road to the championship easier.

Probably didn't deserve the suspension, but its done with now so lets hope we use this extra edge to its full advantage.

aces1180

That has to die immediately...It has been better this year, however.

KC Bison
It seems to me that the NCAA would have better served than to have a University of Montana official making the announcement about suspending a player from the playoffs that they are still involved in. It does bring into question the idea of conflict of interest.

tony
Holy shit, yes.

You mean that's still in use? :mad: :ranting:

If so, that could EASILY cause NDSU to lose homefield in future playoff games if the other team complains.

SoundsLikeSamhumann
Hypnotize by Biggie Smalls (rest in peace big guy!!)

TransAmBison
12-08-2011, 08:59 PM
At least we now know what UND's new nickname will be so they can continue the good fight!

Civil06
I'd bet that this isn't over with if it was an ncaa ruling.

You saying the PA legislature will get involved? Oh wait, that would be ridiculous and a complete waste of time and resources.

HandoEX
I'm confused as to why no one has brought up the kid from Stony Brook that originally posted the Tweet to Spadola. Is he going to be suspended? He really should be taking tons of heat right now too as he posted the same racial remark about another team that Spadola did and the kid from Stony Brook did it first.

aces1180
Email from Coach Bohl to all students,

Dear Students,

As we prepare for our game on Saturday, I wanted to take a couple of minutes to reach out to you, and thank you for your outstanding support throughout the year. I want you to know how important you are to making the Fargodome an outstanding atmosphere for competition. We appreciate your enthusiasm and good sportsmanship. You are helping bring positive recognition to NDSU from other fans and coaches from opposing teams.

I also want to reiterate the importance of your positive influence. There are some isolated instances of negative behavior by a few individuals. We are opposed to any forms of unsportsmanlike comments toward the opposing team or chanting negative phrases, such as anti-gay or racial chants. When this occurs, it hurts our team and our reputation, as well as the opposing players and fans. NDSU is welcoming to all people, in all situations. NCAA also has strict guidelines and penalties.

Thank you again for your outstanding support and enthusiasm. Our competitors envy the student support we enjoy. Working together to increase our sportsmanship will only enhance our success.

Craig Bohl

+++++++++++++++

NDSUBowler
12-08-2011, 09:00 PM
+1million

Worst chant ever. Not funny...not creative...just stupid.

bisonaudit
12-08-2011, 09:03 PM
I'm confused as to why no one has brought up the kid from Stony Brook that originally posted the Tweet to Spadola. Is he going to be suspended? He really should be taking tons of heat right now too as he posted the same racial remark about another team that Spadola did and the kid from Stony Brook did it first.

Why don't we leave it to the people at Lehigh to point the finger at Stony Brook.

Bison bison
12-08-2011, 09:04 PM
THis.

there pointing at everyone else. well, at least ndsu.

Da_Bizon
12-08-2011, 09:05 PM
+1million

There were a few morons in the south endzone that tried to get it started last weekend... luckily it didn't last more than 2 or 3 chants.

CaBisonFan
12-08-2011, 09:05 PM

I taught in one of the high schools here in Hemet, CA for four years. That word could be heard echoing across campus when black students were addressing other black students. It was an unwritten rule, amongst the students, that no one else was allowed to do this. Anyone that tried to use it could be guaranteed of either a fight, or a severe punishment from the admin. The admin. didn't have a choice in this matter. It was a zero-tolerance thing to save the campus from violence...and any kind of violence was met with zero-tolerance, and an automatic suspension and/or expulsion. Some students from other ethnic backgrounds, who had established respect within the black community, could use it...but it was rare. You had to earn the right...amongst friends.

I would bet that some of this goes on amongst teammates who have an understanding. But to communicate it to another team via twitter is a serious mistake. Oh yeah. Doesn't matter if it was initiated by the player...or if it was a response. Like the school's statement...it became his words.

SoundsLikeSamhumann
12-08-2011, 09:07 PM
There were a few morons in the south endzone that tried to get it started last weekend... luckily it didn't last more than 2 or 3 chants.

thats where Unbison sits!

Herd Mentality
12-08-2011, 09:08 PM
I wish I had better Paint skills....

WE NEED MULTIPLE BLOWN UP TWITTER LOGOS TO "FLY" AROUND IN THE CROWD! GET THIS DONE!

KilldeerBison
12-08-2011, 09:10 PM
+1million

Glad to say I've never even heard it, I've been a season ticket holder for a few years now.

NDSUstudent

WE NEED MULTIPLE BLOWN UP TWITTER LOGOS TO "FLY" AROUND IN THE CROWD! GET THIS DONE!

I'd let this sleeping dog lie......

Grizzled
I taught in one of the high schools here in Hemet, CA for four years. That word could be heard echoing across campus when black students were addressing other black students. It was an unwritten rule, amongst the students, that no one else was allowed to do this. Anyone that tried to use it could be guaranteed of either a fight, or a severe punishment from the admin. The admin. didn't have a choice in this matter. It was a zero-tolerance thing to save the campus from violence...and any kind of violence was met with zero-tolerance, and an automatic suspension and/or expulsion. Some students from other ethnic backgrounds, who had established respect within the black community, could use it...but it was rare. You had to earn the right...amongst friends.

I would bet that some of this goes on amongst teammates who have an understanding. But to communicate it to another team via twitter is a serious mistake. Oh yeah.

So to keep playing devils advocate..... Is the NCAA now going to allow athletes of one race to do something while suspending athletes of another race for doing the same thing. They are walking a slippery slope with this.

CaBisonFan
Does anyone here think that the Forum has the intelligence to write about this incident effectively? I have serious doubts. If I were them, I'd be 'very' careful.

CAS4127
I'd let this sleeping dog lie......

Exactly SUstudent!!! Good thinking!!!

abc123
12-08-2011, 09:11 PM

SEE THE DIFF?? Done.

But I thought "the internet was a place where you could say stuff". Right Scott Broshius?

Bison03
12-08-2011, 09:11 PM

Part of me wants to say move on and focus on the game at hand. But I think if the students did this, right behind the Lehigh bench and next to their fans, it would be funny. Any time you can get players pissed at the students and not focusing on the game, it is a good thing for the Bison.

CAS4127
12-08-2011, 09:12 PM
Part of me wants to say move on and focus on the game at hand. But I think if the students did this, right behind the Lehigh bench and next to their fans, it would be funny. Any time you can get players pissed at the students and not focusing on the game, it is a good thing for the Bison.

Disagree-->borders on taunting in this setting IMO.

CaBisonFan
12-08-2011, 09:13 PM
So to keep playing devils advocate..... Is the NCAA now going to allow athletes of one race to do something while suspending athletes of another race for doing the same thing. They are walking a slippery slope with this.

Incredibly slippery...but they're already on the slope. I'd bet that their legal team has been all over this one...and that it ain't over. This one has trouble written on it, for anyone who touches it. On a formal basis...I really have no opinion. I just know what I saw here. I'm even a little afraid to write an opinion here. Damn...this is a seriously touchy topic.

aces1180
12-08-2011, 09:16 PM

It also sucks for Bison players because now their twitter feeds are going to be analyzed. Of course, the original release said that a big part of the problem was that he was talking smack with players of the other team. If it's an NCAA thing instead of a Lehigh thing, then you can pretty much guarantee that every football program in the FCS is going to crack down on twitter / facebook usage.

On a related note, I guess this means I should take LehighGuy off of supervised mode... still, he really abused our hospitality so I might find myself too busy today.

Please don't take him off supervised mode...He is posting stuff about Bison players on AGS....

HerdBot
12-08-2011, 09:16 PM
LehighGuy has lost his mind and is posting every tweet of every player who has used the N word and is demanding they get suspended. It's over on AGS

CAS4127
12-08-2011, 09:18 PM
LehighGuy has lost his mind and is posting every tweet of every player who has used the N word and is demanding they get suspended. It's over on AGS

You mean he has officially gone DaveK on us!!

NDSUBowler
12-08-2011, 09:18 PM
Exactly SUstudent!!! Good thinking!!!
You mean we shouldn't start "8's a racist CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP" chants instead???
I was in the South end zone last week in student section and didn't hear the chant, and I'm glad it didn't catch on with the rest of the student body.

Herd Mentality
12-08-2011, 09:19 PM
The twitter logo slowly being transferred from endzone to endzone along the rail on the west side of the dome...it would be epic. I haven't been this excited since the drunken kicker.

Bison03
12-08-2011, 09:20 PM
Disagree-->borders on taunting in this setting IMO.
Holding up the twitter logo is taunting now? I don't think so. Now, chanting something like "8's a racist" would be a whole other thing and in my opinion taunting. When I was a student and in the student section, and I am assuming now as well, we yelled at the other players all the time. If someone yells to a player "Way to fumble that ball 16" is that taunting? Yes. Is it wrong and grounds for removal? No. Respectful jeering at players is ok. When you are yelling offensive things it is no ok.

ndsubison1
12-08-2011, 09:22 PM
The sun will come up tomorrow

made me think of hootie & the blowfish

BadlandsBison

We need to get Kat Williams suspended from comedy

Bison03
The twitter logo slowly being transferred from endzone to endzone along the rail on the west side of the dome...it would be epic. I haven't been this excited since the drunken kicker.

Drunkin kicker? Please explain.

CAS4127
12-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Holding up the twitter logo is taunting now? I don't think so. Now, chanting something like "8's a racist" would be a whole other thing and in my opinion taunting. When I was a student and in the student section, and I am assuming now as well, we yelled at the other players all the time. If someone yells to a player "Way to fumble that ball 16" is that taunting? Yes. Is it wrong and grounds for removal? No. Respectful jeering at players is ok. When you are yelling offensive things it is no ok.

Perhaps taunting isn't the correct word, and I thought of that as soon as I posted. But completely unclassy and childish it is for sure. Do what you guys want, but I won't be associated with it, and nor will I support it in any way. My bet is you won't get it into the dome because smarter heads will prevail in this circumstance.

I'mWithNOSIB
12-08-2011, 09:24 PM

Just shows you how much of a tool this guy is.

NDSU '96
12-08-2011, 09:25 PM
The twitter logo is a fantastic idea. It's the kind of thing you would see at Duke BB game.

Civil06
12-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Perhaps taunting isn't the correct word, and I thought of that as soon as I posted. But completely unclassy and childish it is for sure. Do what you guys want, but I won't be associated with it, and nor will I support it in any way. My bet is you won't get it into the dome because smarter heads will prevail in this circumstance.

Agreed. I think all fans need just back away from this whole situation. No way would Gene allow anything about Twitter to be used to taunt the Lehigh bench.

NDSUstudent
12-08-2011, 09:29 PM
The twitter logo is a fantastic idea. It's the kind of thing you would see at Duke BB game.

No it isn't, I hope the dome security would confiscate all signs directed taunting Lehigh for this.

We need to stay out of this, it is like the Sioux name thing. Just stay out of the way...nothing good will come of getting involved. Lets not act like Al Carlson please....

ndsubison1
12-08-2011, 09:29 PM
This is the same spin that the Lehigh coach was trying to put out there, he was only using a friends words, not his own.

he said it himself. if he quoted it it would have said "retweeted" around the quote

Bison03
12-08-2011, 09:32 PM
I think the best thing the student section, or the crowd as a whole could do is whistle and make a "tweeting" noise.

Grizzled
12-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Just shows you how much of a tool this guy is.

yeah, we would have no fans that would do this if we lost one of our best two players. The guy needs a day to cool down. Every fan gets excited about the playoffs and you can't deny this is a kick right in Lehigh's balls.

Herd Mentality
12-08-2011, 09:33 PM
No it isn't, I hope the dome security would confiscate all signs directed taunting Lehigh for this.

We need to stay out of this, it is like the Sioux name thing. Just stay out of the way...nothing good will come of getting involved. Lets not act like Al Carlson please....

I couldn't DISAGREE more.

westnodak93bison
12-08-2011, 09:33 PM
I'll speculate worse statements are thrown around on during games. I've spoke to a college ref recently and he said the language is bad and they pretty much look the other way.

56BISON73
12-08-2011, 09:35 PM
I think the best thing the student section, or the crowd as a whole could do is whistle and make a "tweeting" noise.

The best thing the student can do is show some class and not throw this in the face of our opponents.

Herd Mentality

Yet somehow they let you in with those bedazzled jeans every week... ;)

NDSU '96

We need to stay out of this, it is like the Sioux name thing. Just stay out of the way...nothing good will come of getting involved. Lets not act like Al Carlson please....You are right. A sign would not likely make it into the dome. Project for engineering/architecture: do it mural style. a large group of students tapes one small part of a large sign to their chest under their shirt. Pull them out at a predeterminded time, together they make one large twitter bird.

ndsubison1
12-08-2011, 09:38 PM
the students should just all hold hands and sing kumbaya with the lehigh players so we dont offend them

moosbah
12-08-2011, 09:39 PM
Here's a crazy idea. Why don't we stop thinking about making stupid signs, let security do their job and just make life as difficult as possible for Lehigh with crowd noise.

Survive and advance.

Civil06
12-08-2011, 09:40 PM
Do you guys honestly want to invite Twitter scrutiny when we've probably got 6 starters with Twitter posts being shown on AGS right now using the same word??? The sign is an absolutely classless, horrible idea.

NDSU '96
12-08-2011, 09:42 PM
I suspect Lehigh Guy created a twitter profile and is on a crusade:

@NCAA_FairnessFreedom Fighter

#lehigh Spadola suspended from #FCS play against #NDSU for a tweet w/ a racial epitaph. Kind of like these guys... http://pic.twitter.com/soW0GWVJ

Bison bison
12-08-2011, 09:43 PM
I'd like to see 8,000 placards put under the west side seats.

Raised simultaneously they would show the Fail Whale with the word NCAA slantwise in red.

Bison03
12-08-2011, 09:50 PM
I think Lehigh Guy is missing the point. Yes, what was said is part of the reason he was suspended. But it is the fact that it was directed to an opponent which makes is a suspendable offense. Just look at part of what the NCAA said in their quote. "The offensive language of this nature by Mr. Spadola, whether intentional or not, was unsportsmanlike and discredited the championship overall." It's kind of like this example. If an offensive lineman knocks down his own quarterback after the ball is thrown, no foul occurs. If an opposing player does the same thing, there is a flag.

Answer Guy
12-08-2011, 09:52 PM

I know there's a double standard regarding that word in society. But from the Bison tweets that were posted, it would seem there's probably different rules for team members depending on your race? Not sure how that can be tolerated in the context of a "team".

Herd Mentality
12-08-2011, 09:53 PM
Pretty sure it wouldn't invite any more scrutiny than has already happened. It's a great idea even if there would've been no suspension. Way more creative than some of the crap I've heard yelled at games.

Back to the idea of us all holding hands and singing kumbaya. Or maybe we'll sing select portions of "Rockin' Robin". Should anyone that does that be thrown out?

NDSUstudent
12-08-2011, 09:56 PM
If he wouldn't have been suspended I agree, it would have created a distraction. If you do it now it will only fuel the fire in their bellies. No doubt that team is pissed, I wouldn't give them anymore reason to beat NDSU and link NDSU to this mess.

onbison09
12-08-2011, 09:57 PM
I spent quite a bit of time in Texas for work as well, and agree. It's a word used quite often.

And unfortunately racism exists everywhere. One key difference is in the south it's above the surface.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And it's not the whole of Texas.

Civil06
12-08-2011, 10:00 PM
I'm just there to be loud, go nuts, and watch our team punch 'em in the mouth (figuratively, of course). You don't need to be their friends up there, just saying that the Twitter sign would be like reminding the fat girl with the courage to go to prom that she's also quite ugly. Best to just let things be.

TILIS-BisonFan
12-08-2011, 10:09 PM
I haven't read through the whole thread but if a white guy directs it at the opposition or if a black guy directs it at a friend or teammate and leaves out the last letter its the same in my opinion. It doesn't matter who it was directed to. If its okay to use it as a slang when directed towards friends but not okay when directed towards an opponent primarily when the color of your skin justifies the acceptance of this that would make accepting some uses of the word racist. I don't think that Twitter accounts in general for college athletes are a good thing in general especially during the season when one wrong lack of judgement can jeopardize your teammates. Yes they are adults but putting your thoughts out there in the public eye is much different than voicing them at a party. I think Twitter should be banned at the least during the postseason if Not during the whole season.

MNLonghorn10
12-08-2011, 10:17 PM
ncaa isnt goin to allow ANY racism. ask buck burnette who called obama the N.

http://www.aolnews.com/2008/11/06/texas-c-buck-burnette-learns-why-racist-obama-facebook-updates-a/

not surprised...at least hes not kicked off the team. if youre white, do NOT use the N word in any way shape possible. if eminem doesn't use it, who the hell is spadola to be using it??

rustywallace
12-08-2011, 10:37 PM
lehigh stirring the pot

http://i.imgur.com/wj5gM.jpg

badger04
12-08-2011, 10:37 PM
Here is the link to the school's statement.
http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/lehigh/index.ssf/2011/12/lehigh_university_and_ryan_spa.html

HerdBot
12-08-2011, 10:40 PM
ncaa isnt goin to allow ANY racism. ask buck burnette who called obama the N.

http://www.aolnews.com/2008/11/06/texas-c-buck-burnette-learns-why-racist-obama-facebook-updates-a/

not surprised...at least hes not kicked off the team. if youre white, do NOT use the N word in any way shape possible. if eminem doesn't use it, who the hell is spadola to be using it??

very well said. white people should never use the n word.

badger04
12-08-2011, 10:43 PM
another article
http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/michael-lore/index.ssf/2011/12/lehigh_university_wideout_ryan.html

unbison
12-08-2011, 10:45 PM
I believe the white race invented this word as a very very very mean word..........if african americans choose to use it as slang and turn the word around they are welcome to do this...........however we as white people are in no way allowed to utter this word............. period

Bison bison
12-08-2011, 10:46 PM
I believe the white race invented this word as a very very very mean word..........if african americans choose to use it as slang and turn the word around they are welcome to do this...........however we as people are in now way allowed to utter this word............. period

are you saying that blacks aren't people?

unbison
12-08-2011, 10:47 PM
are you saying that blacks aren't people?no no no i said that part wrong to fired up ill fix it for you

SoundsLikeSamhumann
12-08-2011, 10:51 PM
I know there's a double standard regarding that word in society. But from the Bison tweets that were posted, it would seem there's probably different rules for team members depending on your race? Not sure how that can be tolerated in the context of a "team".

I know alot of guys on here like playing grabass with you AG, but the ndsu team and its players will decide whats acceptable, NOT YOU !!!

Bison bison
12-08-2011, 11:00 PM
no no no i said that part wrong to fired up ill fix it for you

just screwing with you and the hypersensitive world we live in...

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
12-08-2011, 11:11 PM

I thought he was pretty decent on hear. Did I miss something?

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
12-08-2011, 11:21 PM
I really hope that everybody keeps in mind that NDSU had ZERO to do with this. Towson apparently filed a complaint that brought the NCAA into it.

Ya, but how long will it take for the NCAA to look into players from other teams accounts? If the NCAA suspends one player for using the word, then in theory, they would have to suspend all players who used the word. If they are going to do that, they might as well cancel all further playoff and bowl games.

This is a poor decision on the part of the NCAA. They just opened themselves up a big can of worms.

NDSUstudent
12-08-2011, 11:21 PM
I thought he was pretty decent on hear. Did I miss something?

Yeah it was a lot of fun watching him post what NDSU players were tweeting and dragging us through the mud....

HerdBot
12-08-2011, 11:31 PM
Ya, but how long will it take for the NCAA to look into players from other teams accounts? If the NCAA suspends one player for using the word, then in theory, they would have to suspend all players who used the word. If they are going to do that, they might as well cancel all further playoff and bowl games.

This is a poor decision on the part of the NCAA. They just opened themselves up a big can of worms.

its not what you say. its how you say it. big difference between 2 brothers saying "yo ni**a!" vs a white person insulting the other team and calling them ni***s.

probably half the black folks call each other that.

The Lost Dutchman
12-08-2011, 11:31 PM

Just kind of curious, but perhaps you are the uneducated one who clearly doesn't know what the heck you are talking about? It isn't 100% false and everyone is reporting that exact same story! Get your facts straight before you start talking smack about people!

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
12-08-2011, 11:54 PM

Lehigh officials are right on this one..........................

Bison bison
12-08-2011, 11:57 PM
there shouldn't be double standards?

what are we in la la land now?

double standards will always exist. you best learn what they are and abide.

also, it's not like spadola was making some sort of stand against double standards, he called players on the opposing team Ni##as - a very dumb thing to do.

Grizzled
12-09-2011, 12:03 AM
its not what you say. its how you say it. big difference between 2 brothers saying "yo ni**a!" vs a white person insulting the other team and calling them ni***s.

probably half the black folks call each other that.

On the street your right but today the NCAA set a standard that the word will not be tolerated under their rules. If there was a law on the street that the word wasn't to be used, race wouldn't matter. There is no law, therefore it is acceptable for some to say it and not others. I think the NCAA will have a hard time describing why they are seemingly allowing it some cases and not others. They are bringing race into the equation.

CivilBison96
12-09-2011, 12:08 AM
I truely believe that we could show everyone the CLASS of NDSU fans by not utilizing this unfortunate event to taunt the opposing team. Show up at the FFD and cheer LOUD for the BISON not to disparage the other team. I do not want to see comments from Lehigh players, coaches, or fans after the game disparaging NDSU fans it would be better if there comments spoke to the class of 99.9999% of our fans!!

HerdBot
12-09-2011, 12:27 AM
On the street your right but today the NCAA set a standard that the word will not be tolerated under their rules. If there was a law on the street that the word wasn't to be used, race wouldn't matter. There is no law, therefore it is acceptable for some to say it and not others. I think the NCAA will have a hard time describing why they are seemingly allowing it some cases and not others. They are bringing race into the equation.

they are a private organization. they could make it illegal to say the word blue if they want to.

but racial slurs can fall under laws pertaining to a hostile work environment

DjKyRo
12-09-2011, 12:29 AM
The lashing-out begins as Lehigh fans starting to say that NDSU "lucked out" and that Marcus would've gotten killed vs. Spadola. My oh my.

bisonmike2
12-09-2011, 12:30 AM
That's ridiculous. Theres a million other ways to punish him, a suspension is way overboard.

tojo70
12-09-2011, 12:30 AM
At first I was, like others totally in disagreement for the NCAA to hand out the suspension. But then I thought about it in this context...Picture this:
Ryan and a couple of his teammates are at a press conference before the Towson game, cameras rolling. While they're talking to one of his team mates Ryan picks up his mobile device and chuckles. One of the reporters asks him what he's laughing at.
Ryan says, "I just got a tweet from one of my friends that says..." and then he quotes what was tweeted to him. Then, Ryan goes on to say "well, here's what I got to say about that..." and proceeds to say out loud what he replied.
My guess is that Ryan would have been kicked off the team within 10 minutes of that incident.

LehighGuy
12-09-2011, 12:36 AM
Am I unbanned yet?

Wally
12-09-2011, 12:39 AM
The lashing-out begins as Lehigh fans starting to say that NDSU "lucked out" and that Marcus would've gotten killed vs. Spadola. My oh my.

FWIW, I think the suspension is bunk and way overboard. With that being said, don't put yourself in that position. I know you have to have book smarts to get into Lehigh, street smarts isn't a prerequisite I guess.

Lehigh Owl
12-09-2011, 12:41 AM
This is my 2 cents.

I don't believe in anyway Spadola's comments are about race. As I said before, if he posted this using 2Pac lyrics, "Yo TU, Now you 'bout to feel the wrath of a menace ni***, I hit 'em up". Would he have been suspended?

I don't understand those that are trying to make it racial. Maybe i'm from a different generation but i've heard white dudes call white dudes it, black dudes call white dudes it, yes even white dudes callin black guys it socially. The term hasn't been exclusive to blacks in 25 years. Ever since Whitey invaded the gangsta rap concerts and sang along all bets were off. In fact, it created a whole new word, "wigger". Is that racist? Maybe Temple was just more racially tolerant than other places. I always take pride in our diversity.

Personally, I think he's suspended because he lied. I think it's his words rather than a misquote or retweet.

DjKyRo
12-09-2011, 12:42 AM
FWIW, I think the suspension is bunk and way overboard. With that being said, don't put yourself in that position. I know you have to have book smarts to get into Lehigh, street smarts isn't a prerequisite I guess.

I don't disagree. From an NDSU fan's standpoint, yes, it's unfortunate, and we lose out on the opportunity to watch a good football player compete against our team (which I think darn near everybody can appreciate). At the same time, we have zero control over the situation and can simply analyze the team we are given to compete against, this one being sans-Spadola.

It's time to start seeing the game in that regard - I know the coaches have to be formulating that gameplan already. IMHO, this opens a huge can of worms that is going to blow up in the NCAA's face, but we've got a football game in two days.

Bisonguy
12-09-2011, 12:46 AM
Am I unbanned yet?

Yes and No.

Bison bison
12-09-2011, 12:47 AM
I don't understand those that are trying to make it racial.

I don't understand all the folks who are trying to pretend that it isn't.

He used the N word when referring to opponents.

He might as well as have showed up to the game on Saturday in black face and put one a short minstrel show.

Da Bison
12-09-2011, 12:52 AM
I truely believe that we could show everyone the CLASS of NDSU fans by not utilizing this unfortunate event to taunt the opposing team. Show up at the FFD and cheer LOUD for the BISON not to disparage the other team. I do not want to see comments from Lehigh players, coaches, or fans after the game disparaging NDSU fans it would be better if there comments spoke to the class of 99.9999% of our fans!!

This^^^^^^^100.00%

Putz
12-09-2011, 12:54 AM

Very good point gully!

HerdBot
This is my 2 cents.

I don't believe in anyway Spadola's comments are about race. As I said before, if he posted this using 2Pac lyrics, "Yo TU, Now you 'bout to feel the wrath of a menace ni***, I hit 'em up". Would he have been suspended?

I don't understand those that are trying to make it racial. Maybe i'm from a different generation but i've heard white dudes call white dudes it, black dudes call white dudes it, yes even white dudes callin black guys it socially. The term hasn't been exclusive to blacks in 25 years. Ever since Whitey invaded the gangsta rap concerts and sang along all bets were off. In fact, it created a whole new word, "wigger". Is that racist? Maybe Temple was just more racially tolerant than other places. I always take pride in our diversity.

Personally, I think he's suspended because he lied. I think it's his words rather than a misquote or retweet.

Has 2pac released a song called "the ni**as at Towson suck?"

no. quit trying to turn this into something it isnt.

Lehigh Owl
I don't understand all the folks who are trying to pretend that it isn't.

He used the N word.

Towson is not an all black football team. It was a blanket statement. Like i said before, where I went to college n***a was used quite a bit among all races. The word has not been exclusive to blacks since the hip-hop revolution of the late 80's early 90's.

CaBisonFan
This^^^^^^^100.00%

Yep...Da Bison got it right. This isn't about the entire Lehigh team or campus. Racism exists everywhere. Some people don't know what it involves. The kid made what's called a mistake. Too bad for everyone that he can't play. It's sad.

90 BISON
12-09-2011, 12:58 AM
Towson is not an all black football team. It was a blanket statement. Like i said before, where I went to college n***a was used quite a bit among all races. The word has not been exclusive to blacks since the hip-hop revolution of the late 80's early 90's.

I would recommend that you stop digging. He said the N word to insult an opposing team.

HerdBot
12-09-2011, 01:01 AM

when you went to school, people were obviously more openly racist

Hammerhead
12-09-2011, 01:01 AM
I recall a visiting team noting they were called the N-word over and over during a playoff game back in the 80s. I think it might have been vs. Towson. Were they the team that walked on the field with their helmets above their heads?

Grizzled
12-09-2011, 01:02 AM
they are a private organization. they could make it illegal to say the word blue if they want to.

but racial slurs can fall under laws pertaining to a hostile work environment

If it was just a slap on the wrist I'd maybe agree with you Gabe but when you start taking playoff games away from players, you have draw a line in the sand and have it be pretty black and white. It's hard to enforce a rule than can affect the outcome of games if they leave a gray area with this. If they are going to create this new rule and enforce it by your street logic than it will come back and bite them in the ass.

Lehigh Owl
12-09-2011, 01:06 AM
when you went to school, people were obviously more openly racist

Temple University is one of the MOST diverse universities in the country. The schools located in the heart of North Philadelphia.

CivilBison96
12-09-2011, 01:07 AM
This is my 2 cents.

From what I have seen it was his words sent to his friend (former HS teammate I believe) that plays for Stoney Brook. Without seeing his friends tweet from what I deduce is that the friend had referenced that word in his tweet to Spadola and Spadola responded using the same word and adding his point of view.

I will add my disappointment that he is not playing I was really looking forward to watching his matchup with Marcus. I can see the NCAA point of view though (and I believe what LehighGuy posted 2 days ago that he will not even be allowed to travel) because you know if he had shown up and played there DEFINATELY would have been taunting from the crowd and some may have felt "liberated" to use his words and the NCAA wanted no part of that. By removing him from the game and the sideline they are hoping to mitigate the damage and as I previously posted I hope that our crowd does not even bring this up which would show we prefer the high road.

HerdBot
12-09-2011, 01:14 AM
If it was just a slap on the wrist I'd maybe agree with you Gabe but when you start taking playoff games away from players, you have draw a line in the sand and have it be pretty black and white. It's hard to enforce a rule than can affect the outcome of games if they leave a gray area with this. If they are going to create this new rule and enforce it by your street logic than it will come back and bite them in the ass.

I think you have to be consistent. if you start giving passes for playoff games it sets a precedence. what next? its ok to be a racist jackass in the playoffs but not the regular season? what if its a regular season game that determines whether or not you make the playoffs? What are other examples?

344Johnson
12-09-2011, 01:19 AM
Honestly, I don't care how they are consistent but it would be so much easier if people just used common sense from time to time.

abc123
12-09-2011, 01:19 AM
I think you have to be consistent. if you start giving passes for playoff games it sets a precedence. what next? its ok to be a racist jackass in the playoffs but not the regular season? what if its a regular season game that determines whether or not you make the playoffs? What are other examples?

If by consistent you mean that depending on your race or ethnicity you are or are not allowed to say certain words/phrases, then yes, consistent is the word you are looking for.

ndsubison1
12-09-2011, 01:24 AM
the ncaa needs to take away every single players rap music

X-Factor
12-09-2011, 01:31 AM
Ugggghhhhh, this is the first time I have even seen this thread and we are already 6 pages deep in the action. Not gonna read it all. Spadola suspended just means that NDSU D-line is licking their chops even more.

The Lost Dutchman
12-09-2011, 01:31 AM
the ncaa needs to take away every single players rap music

No, players need to start using common sense when using twitter! Would he have made those comments in a public setting with people of different race present? How about some basic sociology classes as well.

Lehigh Owl
12-09-2011, 01:33 AM
Ugggghhhhh, this is the first time I have even seen this thread and we are already 6 pages deep in the action. Not gonna read it all. Spadola suspended just means that NDSU D-line is licking their chops even more.

There's no deep threat to respect. I have a feeling Lum will start forcing passes since NDSU will only have to focus on the short passes. NDSU should be able to T off pretty good.

CAS4127
12-09-2011, 01:35 AM
Here is the deal, period. Sadola meant nothing racist by what he tweeted--he is just a college kid who got caught up in the mix of things. All of us have the benefit of hindsight. Meanwhile he was in the mix of being pumped and prepared for a game with fun and adrenaline in his veins. By almost all accounts, he is a good kid who got caught up in a dialogue that he otherwise would not have but for his mental immaturity, something we have all done if u r honest with yourself. My educated hunch is that he has plenty of black friends consoling him tonight. I wish nothing but the best for him, and I think he got a raw deal here.

Someone mentioned an 80's game NDSU played against an all black team. That was Central State, and I was involved. Too much info for me to type from IPhone, but the accusatios were way worse than this. If I have a chance tomorrow I will post the story as I recall it.

This hole issue sucks IMHO! Nuff said and Peace Out!!

bisonmike2
12-09-2011, 01:37 AM
Has 2pac released a song called "the ni**as at Towson suck?"

no. quit trying to turn this into something it isnt.

Not yet but it's on his new album that drops next spring.

JSUBison
12-09-2011, 01:38 AM

Didn't realize that was the twitter logo, thought it was one of the birdies from "Song of the South". :hide:

I don't believe Spadola's twitter was racist at all. He used slang that he probably hears everyday. How he used it is consistent with that. In the end, it doesn't matter. What's done is done, and Spadola and Lehigh have to face the blowback. There are too many people above (NCAA) that don't understand how the real world exists, only how they wish it to be.

Bison"FANatic"
12-09-2011, 01:39 AM
Lakes needs to remember if he is going to use the name Bison in his name on AGS he represents NDSU. He needs to stop calling Spadola a racist and just STFU. It is posts like he is doing on AGS that Tony should never let him post on here again no matter what he calls himself.

"Lehigh61 Ryan Spagnola was a chump in a ****ty conference that put up big #'s vs chump teams, MWILL would've ate up that lil racist." Lakesbison

BlueBisonRock
12-09-2011, 01:43 AM
This is my 2 cents.

Its real interesting that you would ask. There is a court case brewing right now because a high school in a MN community north of me planned to have Wigger Days. A minority student found it uncomfortable, made her comments and got the 'ah shucks' routine, and voila. The lawyers were put to work.

Just sayin'.

Twentysix
12-09-2011, 01:45 AM
This is alot of pages wow.

Ross
12-09-2011, 01:46 AM
Not yet but it's on his new album that drops next spring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30amRba13SY&feature=related

HerdBot
12-09-2011, 01:46 AM
Temple University is one of the MOST diverse universities in the country. The schools located in the heart of North Philadelphia.

more population and diversity typically means more racism.

Tatanka
12-09-2011, 01:49 AM

Totally disagree. If anything, it makes any racism that exists more visible, whereupon it's dealt with in the open.

Lehigh Owl
12-09-2011, 01:49 AM

:facepalm: wow

NDSUstudent
12-09-2011, 01:51 AM
If Lehigh's coach sits him the first quarter vs Towson are we even talking about this right now?

CAS4127
12-09-2011, 01:53 AM
Lakes needs to remember if he is going to use the name Bison in his name on AGS he represents NDSU. He needs to stop calling Spagola a racist and just STFU. It is posts like he is doing on AGS that Tony should never let him post on here again no matter what he calls himself.

As a firmer player I will say this-->Lakes needs to STFU. I consider him a friend, but I have not only argued with my beat friends, but also made them STFU when in my presence. Many if u claim Lakes is an unyielding NDSU fan, the real question is whether u want him as our "flagship" fan.

Sam/Lakes, I am telling u, if what I am seeing and hearing about u, STFU--and I mean it. I could write a manifesto on how and why I am so intense about NDSU football right now, don't ruin the story. STFU!! I mean it.

CaBisonFan
12-09-2011, 01:55 AM
Racism exists more than ever in a vacuum. Diversity brings tolerance in time. Knowledge is a good thing.

Bison"FANatic"
12-09-2011, 01:55 AM
Lakes needs to remember if he is going to use the name Bison in his name on AGS he represents NDSU. He needs to stop calling Spadola a racist and just STFU. It is posts like he is doing on AGS that Tony should never let him post on here again no matter what he calls himself.

"Lehigh61 Ryan Spagnola was a chump in a ****ty conference that put up big #'s vs chump teams, MWILL would've ate up that lil racist." Lakesbison

Negative rep me all you want UNBISON for this but lakes needs to STFU

Bisonguy
12-09-2011, 01:56 AM
Totally disagree. If anything, it makes any racism that exists more visible, whereupon it's dealt with in the open.

^^^Truth^^^

HandoEX
12-09-2011, 01:56 AM
Are you trolling gabe? You don't really beleive that, do you?

CaBisonFan
12-09-2011, 01:57 AM
As a firmer player I will say this-->Lakes needs to STFU. I consider him a friend, but I have not only argued with my beat friends, but also made them STFU when in my presence. Many if u claim Lakes is an unyielding NDSU fan, the real question is whether u want him as our "flagship" fan.

Sam/Lakes, I am telling u, if what I am seeing and hearing about u, STFU--and I mean it. I could write a manifesto on how and why I am so intense about NDSU football right now, don't ruin the story. STFU!! I mean it.

I couldn't agree more. Lakes...you were not friendly to me when I was introduced to you...but that's ok. You're the worst damn ambassador that we have. You only hurt things. Your pleasure on other boards is not good for the Bison community. You display ignorance. There's my 25 cents.

bisonhp330
12-09-2011, 02:00 AM
Old Lehigh Fan (http://www.bisonville.com/forum/member.php?4671-Old-Lehigh-Fan)
http://www.bisonville.com/forum/images/statusicon/user-offline.pngJunior MemberNew User (or just very quiet)http://www.bisonville.com/forum/images/reputation/reputation_pos.png

Join DateDec 2011LocationSaucon Valley, PAPosts8

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/images/icons/icon1.png Re: What is Lehigh like?
Hello, Bison!

Looking forward to good reading on this board throughout the week. First of all, the registration process here is not easy. That image identification step required 5 tries.

Attended Lehigh briefly as a PhD candidate. Been watching them since 1963. You might enjoy these observations:

1. There IS some "elitist" attitude there. Very close to an Ivy League school, although I doubt more than 200 Lehigh fans will be in Fargo.
2. There are no merit-based football scholarships right now. Financial aid, yes. BUT, Lehigh takes pride in maintaining a very high academic standard. It's not easy to enroll now matter how good an athlete you are. They lose many fine players due to academics.
3. Their players are intelligent and can handle new and difficult schemes. Their playbook is large.
4. They will NOT be intimidated by your team, your crowd, your dome.
5. Their biggest weakness has been special teams play, but they've improved every week.
6. They have lots of talent at several positions. For example, their leading rusher (Barkett) is out for the season, but 2-3 other guys have been performing just as well.
7. Lum is outstanding. More mobile than you think.
8. Defense is quick. Linebackers relentless.
9. The team is VERY focused. They'll stick to their plan and execute.
10. They are significantly stronger than the Lafayette you saw in September.

I'll give consideration to attending as a tag-along on the charter flight if space permits. I expect Lehigh to be competitive with you, but right now,
I'll admit my pick is:

Bison 31
Lehigh 21

um......should we cross off the bold part?

HerdBot
12-09-2011, 02:01 AM
Leighigh Owl - most of us agree its too harsh of a penalty. instead of agreeing your bound and determined to justify his actions and convince white people its ok to say the n word to blacks. Its sole creation was to disparage an entire race.

The suspension has more to do with the fact that a player from your team publically insulted the other team. had he called them a bunch of faggots or assholes , it still would have been a suspension. It just looks worse when its a white dude using the n word. its a double whammy.

NDSUdonny
If Lehigh's coach sits him the first quarter vs Towson are we even talking about this right now?

No, because they would have lost

HoopsBison
Negative rep me all you want UNBISON for this but lakes needs to STFU

Lakes definitely has a strong passion for the Bison but I'm afraid hes gone full retard over on ags. Personally hes making us look pretty bad.

CAS4127
12-09-2011, 02:02 AM
I couldn't agree more. Lakes...you were not friendly to me when I was introduced to you...but that's ok. You're the worst damn ambassador that we have. You only hurt things. Your pleasure on other boards is not good for the Bison community. You display ignorance. There's my 25 cents.

Sorry for the typos--on my Effin IPhone with a cracked screen. That said , I am gonna want company with Lakes if he doesn't STFU!! Sorry Tony, but I am pissed right now!!

DORMIE
12-09-2011, 02:03 AM
I talked to someone who I will not mention from the athletic dept. this evening and he said that this is very serious business. The player would have been suspended at NDSU upon the knowledge that it had happened.

HerdBot
12-09-2011, 02:03 AM

They dont have race gangs in the midwest. in LA they have asian, mexican; and gangs of pretty much every race.

Lehigh Owl
12-09-2011, 02:06 AM
They dont have race gangs in the midwest. in LA they have asian, mexican; and gangs of pretty much every race.

We're talking about a university. You wouldn't survive a week at Temple being an open racist.

BlueBisonRock
12-09-2011, 02:06 AM

What rock have you been hiding under?

bisonhp330
12-09-2011, 02:08 AM
Lakes is an idiot- the kind of guy you see on TV, 40 years old still living in mom and dads basement, talking shit to 12 year olds on blogs pretending to be someone. He isnt a bison fan in any sense. Just plain an idiot, no other labels.

never been on AGS? ....is that the:

http://www.americangoatsociety.com/

aces1180
12-09-2011, 02:08 AM

According to local law enforcement, there is at least a half a dozen gangs within 25 miles of Bemidji....

Lehigh Owl
12-09-2011, 02:10 AM
I talked to someone who I will not mention from the athletic dept. this evening and he said that this is very serious business. The player would have been suspended at NDSU upon the knowledge that it had happened.

I think a lot has to with th cultural difference. Having been to ND, I can easily say it's much more conservative than the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast. I don't see NDSU playing pregame music that contains the "N" word like we do in the Northeast. Lehigh is a stones through away from Philly and NYC which means there's a major urban influence.

bisonhp330
12-09-2011, 02:10 AM
i really didnt think you could top this:

but yet you did with this:

This has to be the single most idiotic post on here. Get out of the cave you live in and join us in the real world.