PDA

View Full Version : In my lifetime I never thought I'd see...

CaBisonFan
12-08-2011, 04:20 AM
...these.

1. The Bison playing Minnesota...and beating them.
2. The Bison wearing gold (yellow) jerseys.
3. The Bison playing in a dome.
4. The Bison ranked in the top 50 in any poll that included FBS schools.
5. The Bison playing on national television. (correction...I've seen this many times...you know, as in the old playoff vids that I have...excedrin please... :facepalm:)

Please continue...

devin45k
12-08-2011, 04:30 AM
6. Dominating in their conference at a division 1 level in most sports

HerdBot
12-08-2011, 04:40 AM
...these.

1. The Bison playing Minnesota...and beating them.
2. The Bison wearing gold (yellow) jerseys.
3. The Bison playing in a dome.
4. The Bison ranked in the top 50 in any poll that included FBS schools.
5. The Bison playing on national television.

Please continue...

consistently beating fbs and bcs schools and expecting to beat them. Honestly I was shocked when we beat Montana as a D2 team with half the scholarships, a bigger disparity than we see now with fbs.

devin45k
12-08-2011, 04:49 AM
When I was young, I never thought of us going against teams like Minnesota, Wyoming, Colorado State, etc

duluthbison
12-08-2011, 04:58 AM
myself cheering for the bison.

Seriously, I grew up in northern minnesota. I never heard of NDSU until my brother came out here in 2002, I am happy I followed! :)

TheBisonator
12-08-2011, 05:53 AM
Until about 2006 or 2007 or so, I thought I'd never see the Bison basketball team play in March Madness.

jimmyptubas
12-08-2011, 05:54 AM
Never thought i'd see the Basketball team beat teams like Wisconsin and make it to the field of 64 (65). It was bison basketball games that my family used to attend as a child that sparked my dad to get season tix to football. If it weren't for basketball i wouldn't' have so many great memories from the late 80's-early 90's of Dacotah field and such!

IzzyFlexion
12-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Until about 2006 or 2007 or so, I thought I'd never see the Bison basketball team play in March Madness.

Ditto on this.
The first few minutes of that day's TV broadcast was incredibly surreal.

WYOBISONMAN
12-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Going to "The Dance" and seeing NDSU play Kansas tough.......in a packed house at the Metrodome......during the first year of eligibility. Pure magic.........pure magic!

roadwarrior
12-08-2011, 12:17 PM
The Bison playing on national television is nothing new. The championship games in the 80s were all televised, and weren't the games (such as the ones against Montana) from the late 60's on national television also?

RowdyRabbit
12-08-2011, 12:38 PM
...Jackrabbit basketball lose 10 straight to NDSU. Let's end that streak in a few weeks, shall we?

HandoEX
12-08-2011, 01:18 PM
I never thought I'd see the day where a football thread had more posts about basketball than football during the football playoffs :biggrin:

HerdBot
12-08-2011, 01:35 PM
The Fargodome being louder than the Metrodome during a Vikings game.

TQ16
12-08-2011, 01:42 PM
I never thought I'd see the day where a football thread had more posts about basketball than football during the football playoffs :biggrin:

++++++++++++++++

bri-dog
12-08-2011, 01:47 PM
...a poem lovely as a tree.

Okay, apologies to Kilmer.

The all-around success of the Bison so quickly in Division I.

Snowgoose
12-08-2011, 01:55 PM
If you would have told me 10 years ago that the men's BB team would be better than the women's BB in Division I I would have laughed at you.

I never thought i would feel confident in beating the bottom tier of most of the FBS BCS divisions, but I honestly would probably favor us if we had a home football (which we won't) game against one of these opponents.

aces1180
12-08-2011, 02:01 PM
....Bison highlights in SportsCenter or any other ESPN highlight show. Both the football team and men's basketball team have gotten more exposure in the last five years than any other time in NDSU history.

tjbison
12-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Sweat so bad to watch a NDSU BB game

roadwarrior
12-08-2011, 02:04 PM
...a member of the NDSU golf team leading a US Open tournament.
...the Bison softball team getting to the Sweet 16 in D-I.

CaBisonFan
12-08-2011, 02:14 PM
The Bison playing on national television is nothing new. The championship games in the 80s were all televised, and weren't the games (such as the ones against Montana) from the late 60's on national television also?

Yir right road. Thought of that this morning...but I knew I could count on you and your bottle of whiteout. When I saw that you were the last person to comment on this thread, I thought to myself, "has roadwarrior contributed to a thread like this?" Maybe...maybe...maybe? Nope...nadda. It's a little too touchy feely for him. Besides...he's been there, done that, and anyone who doesn't 'stay the course' will know...:bleh:

roadwarrior
12-08-2011, 02:38 PM
When I saw that you were the last person to comment on this thread, I thought to myself, "has roadwarrior contributed to a thread like this?" Maybe...maybe...maybe? Nope...nadda. It's a little too touchy feely for him. Besides...he's been there, done that, and anyone who doesn't 'stay the course' will know...:bleh:

I guess you missed my post just above. I love football but there is much more to Bison athletics than just one sport.

aces1180
12-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Yir right road. Thought of that this morning...but I knew I could count on you and your bottle of whiteout. When I saw that you were the last person to comment on this thread, I thought to myself, "has roadwarrior contributed to a thread like this?" Maybe...maybe...maybe? Nope...nadda. It's a little too touchy feely for him. Besides...he's been there, done that, and anyone who doesn't 'stay the course' will know...:bleh:

What's with the hostility?

roadwarrior
12-08-2011, 02:44 PM
What's with the hostility?

It's just some friendly sparring..

WYOBISONMAN
12-08-2011, 02:46 PM
I guess you missed my post just above. I love football but there is much more to Bison athletics than just one sport.

That is so true. With my All Access account, I have spend countless evenings enjoying a whole lot of Bison athletics on my TV! I have to say, watching the volleyball matches has been outstanding entertainment.

aces1180
12-08-2011, 02:48 PM

In my first three years of college, the only thing I cared about was NDSU football...However, when I interned in the Sports Information Department, my job was to attend all sporting events. I have to say, I really gained appreciation for all teams and sports because of that experience. I really have a soft spot for Pete and the women's soccer team.

CaBisonFan
12-08-2011, 02:58 PM
It's just some friendly sparring..

Got up on the wrong side of the bed with a terrible backache...read your 2nd post...wrote my whiteout comment...went back to bed...got up...read your first post...my bad. Wish I had a bottle of whiteout.

bisonmike2
12-08-2011, 03:06 PM
...a willing and naked woman lying before me

Or are we limiting this to just Bison athletics?

CaBisonFan
12-08-2011, 03:13 PM
...a willing and naked woman lying before me

Or are we limiting this to just Bison athletics?

You wouldn't happen to have a link so that we could all see this.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
12-08-2011, 03:18 PM
...a member of the NDSU golf team leading a US Open tournament.
...the Bison softball team getting to the Sweet 16 in D-I.

I agree with Road here...Amy Anderson is the highest profile athlete NDSU has ever had in terms of accomplishments while a student at NDSU. The softball team getting to the Sweet 16 is in my opinion a greater accomplishment/"upset" than any victory by the mens football or basketball programs.

IBleedYellow
12-08-2011, 04:00 PM
Have a Volleyball that consistently gets into the tournament but gets a bummer of a seed so we can't ever go any further than first round.

Bison03
12-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Success in so many different sports at the DI level so soon, beating the gophers TWICE, being ranked at or near the top of the football polls with regularity. One thing I knew I would see would be und fans despite our accomplishments still try and say NDSU is still not as successful as und hooockey.

CAS4127
12-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Speaking frankly, I am not surprised at all by our successes, except the Amy Anderson story, and perhaps a little bit with the MBB. We did not move to DI just to be in DI. We moved up because of the watering down of DII, but with the intent and goal to be competive and to achieve both team and individual NC's. In other words, the philosophy of NDSU athletics did not change with the move, nor have our successes.

Bison_since_Birth
12-08-2011, 04:38 PM
Speaking from the first basketball games i ever attended back in the early 2000's i never thought NDSU basketball would be athletic (dunking)...Trayvonn, Braun, LA. Never saw this coming so props to recruiting and the teams that laid the foundation.

CaBisonFan
12-08-2011, 06:09 PM
Speaking from the first basketball games i ever attended back in the early 2000's i never thought NDSU basketball would be athletic (dunking)...Trayvonn, Braun, LA. Never saw this coming so props to recruiting and the teams that laid the foundation.

I was at the USC basketball game when the Bison played here and was completely in awe of the fact that this game was taking place...and we played a very close game against a roster of high school All-Americans. We missed a string of free throws near the end. It cost the game...but it was still a lot of fun. The USC fans were a class act.

CaBisonFan
12-08-2011, 06:12 PM
Deep down I had serious doubts about the football team coming out of its Dr. Bob funk in my lifetime.

semobison
12-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Both men and womens Track and Field may be the two most consistantly successful teams in all of Bison athletics!

CAS4127
12-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Deep down I had serious doubts about the football team coming out of its Dr. Bob funk in my lifetime.

I knew going into the Bobby B. era that we were gonna have problems. It was just a matter of running him through the system and getting him the hell out of here.

cbline
12-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Never thought I'd see . . . . . .Jenna Jameson hosting a pajama party in Fargo!!!

CAS4127
12-08-2011, 07:20 PM
Never thought I'd see . . . . . .Jenna Jameson hosting a pajama party in Fargo!!!

Now we're talkin' my kinda language . . . . . . . . .

cbline
12-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Now we're talkin' my kinda language . . . . . . . . .

Actually, in Jenna's films, there is not a whole lot of talking going on.

BadlandsBison
12-09-2011, 04:00 PM
Actually, in Jenna's films, there is not a whole lot of talking going on.

Communication breakdown

Castor Troy
12-09-2011, 04:02 PM
Both men and womens Track and Field may be the two most consistantly successful teams in all of Bison athletics!

I agree with this, but we will continue to struggle nationally as do most upper midwest track teams do. The goal will continue to be to qualify as many athletes for nationals as we can and score as much as we can. We get our sprinters from the Twin Cities and our distance runners from North Dakota and greater Minnesota when the SEC schools travel to Jamaica and Nigeria for their sprinters, Ethiopia and Kenya for distance runners, and Iceland for their throwers. Hard to compete with that.

Castor Troy
12-09-2011, 04:05 PM
We moved up because of the watering down of DII, but with the intent and goal to be competive and to achieve both team and individual NC's. In other words, the philosophy of NDSU athletics did not change with the move, nor have our successes.

Right on, brother! This is why other fan bases get so upset when they here how much pride we have when they come on here. In their minds, we are the new kids on the block, but a culture of excellence has been instilled in every athlete that has put on the Bison uniform and moving divisions did not change that.

Hammerhead
12-09-2011, 04:49 PM
... people expecting to beat Minnesota, Kansas, Colorado State, etc. in football.
All kinds of teams in D-I postseason play.
NDSU and UND not playing football for several years in a row. :) (I guess that kind of goes with the 1st item in my list.)

mnriverbison
12-09-2011, 04:50 PM

This X a million. Maybe beating crappy FBS teams doesn't excite me as much because I haven't been around as long, but for me going to the big dance (especially going toe to toe with a legit Kansas team) was way cooler and more shocking than anything else. Now if Iowa has a big year in football when we go down there...it probably still won't be as cool as the dance. How awesome was that!!??

CaBisonFan
12-09-2011, 05:02 PM
This X a million. Maybe beating crappy FBS teams doesn't excite me as much because I haven't been around as long, but for me going to the big dance (especially going toe to toe with a legit Kansas team) was way cooler and more shocking than anything else. Now if Iowa has a big year in football when we go down there...it probably still won't be as cool as the dance. How awesome was that!!??

Yeah...there's something about March Madness that pretty much trumps everything else.

I never thought I'd see two players from an upcoming opponent dominate the board for almost a whole week...ugh. It goes against the Wooden rules.

heffray
12-09-2011, 05:20 PM
Yeah...there's something about March Madness that pretty much trumps everything else.

I never thought I'd see two players from an upcoming opponent dominate the board for almost a whole week...ugh. It goes against the Wooden rules.

IF (big if) the Bison Football team wins it all this year, does it trump the March Madness appearance in '07?

CaBisonFan
12-09-2011, 05:26 PM
IF (big if) the Bison Football team wins it all this year, does it trump the March Madness appearance in '07?

Not for me. An FCS Championship would be absolutely huge. I really can't compare the two experiences. Both great.

I suppose the media, and others, would disagree.

gizmo
12-09-2011, 05:35 PM
At NDSU, excellence in sports is not something that just happens, it's expected. Regardless of who the Bison are playing they expect to win. So, when we win, it's not a fluke but rather it's the expected outcome that has resulted from hard work and dedication. The reward does not come from pulling off occasional upsets but from being consistently good and The Bison are consistently good with every team we send out there. That's pretty darn impressive!

GO BISON!!!! The best is yet to come!

TateMosersneighbor
12-09-2011, 05:36 PM
I'd take a FCS championship over an appearance in the NCAA tourney 100 out of 100 times.

heffray
12-09-2011, 05:36 PM
Not for me. An FCS Championship would be absolutely huge. I really can't compare the two experiences. Both great.

I suppose the media, and others, would disagree.

I guess that answers my question. I'm with you on the first one, I think that the 1 single NCAA Tourney loss has been the biggest moment in Bison athletics so far, simply because it has gotten our school the most pub. I don't particularily like basketball, so I don't follow them too closely. But, you can bet I was paying attention the year they went to the dance (I guarantee more people have heard about NDSU because of that one game than anyone has ever heard of UND for their multiple Hockey Championships. No one cares aobut NCAA Hockey).

But I digress, I DO think an FCS Championship would trump the Kansas loss at the dance, simply because football is more popular. However, maybe March Madness is more popular than FCS football and so, I guess I don't know, hard to compare. If say, NDSU beat a top 5 BCS school some year, like App State and Michigan a few years back, that could do it.

Wow, this is a good, tough question, who asked that?

moosbah
12-09-2011, 05:48 PM

The NCAA hoops tourney appearance was great, and something I'll never forget, but SU is a football school, and winning the football championship would always mean more to me.

Hammerhead
12-09-2011, 05:48 PM
IMHO, 1 FCS championship = 1 appearance in the sweet 16 for March madness.

heffray
12-09-2011, 05:51 PM
IMHO, 1 FCS championship = 1 appearance in the sweet 16 for March madness.

Get off that fence and grow a pair! JK, it's a tough one, and I don't know either... but I'm going to pick option C of beating a top 5 BCS school, just because I asked teh question, and I can make the rules.

CAS4127
12-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Get off that fence and grow a pair! JK, it's a tough one, and I don't know either... but I'm going to pick option C of beating a top 5 BCS school, just because I asked teh question, and I can make the rules.

Have you considered seeking a job with the NCAA??!!:hide::biggrin:

Hammerhead
12-09-2011, 06:09 PM
I would take an FCS championship over an appearance in the elite 8. Making it to the final 4 might be a bigger deal for me. I haven't followed basketball too much since graduation so football has always been more important to me.

Civil06
12-09-2011, 06:40 PM
I would take an FCS championship over an appearance in the elite 8. Making it to the final 4 might be a bigger deal for me. I haven't followed basketball too much since graduation so football has always been more important to me.

Even though I agree with this, it's absolute crazy talk. Man it's fun watching playoff football.

90BISON
12-09-2011, 06:48 PM
......A March Madness game, in person, with my team as one of the participants, and giving a legendary BB school all they could handle.......As big a Bison FB fan as I am, that March Madness game was absolutely electric!, primarily due to the show of force of all the other Bison fans that turned out for it! :biggrin:

CAS4127
12-09-2011, 06:50 PM

Need I bother weighing in on this subject??!!:biggrin:

Vitojr130
12-09-2011, 06:51 PM

Kind of like what ASU did when they played Michigan?

That was a big deal.

CaBisonFan
12-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Never thought I'd see 3 or 4 great prospects at quarterback on the roster at the same time.

mnriverbison
12-09-2011, 08:02 PM
But I digress, I DO think an FCS Championship would trump the Kansas loss at the dance, simply because football is more popular. However, maybe March Madness is more popular than FCS football and so, I guess I don't know, hard to compare. If say, NDSU beat a top 5 BCS school some year, like App State and Michigan a few years back, that could do it.

Wow, this is a good, tough question, who asked that?

It's probably different for every person, but the Big Dance is a spectacle. Yes, football is more popular but if popularity is what we're using as a basis the Big Dance crushes FCS playoffs in terms of national interest. People with no rooting interest from all over the country take 1 or 2 days off of work to go to a bar and watch those first days. It is a much bigger deal to a much wider audience than beating a crappy FBS football team or even winning the FCS title. Those both (crappy FBS games and FCS titles) have very limited audiences and I'll freely admit that I have some of that "little brother" syndrome that makes seeing the Bison playing on the big stage more appealing to me. I like football more but punching Kansas in the face and hanging with them with all the chips on the table is beyond App State vs Mich. Michigan mailed that game in and went on to a bad season anyway. Kansas was a legit threat to win it all and had every motivation in the world to beat the Bison. The more I think about it I actually don't think that Bison nation or myself have appreciated how freaking awesome that was.

Also-Big props to whoever said they'd go years without seeing Bison-Sioux. That didn't seem possible 15 years ago.

AjaxTheMighty
12-09-2011, 08:41 PM
...the rise of the NDSU so rapidly! The chips fell into place so freakishly fast. Nobody expected this. I can't believe all the major accomplishments of this University, and I am glad I am a small part of it.

CaBisonFan
12-09-2011, 08:51 PM
...the rise of the NDSU so rapidly! The chips fell into place so freakishly fast. Nobody expected this. I can't believe all the major accomplishments of this University, and I am glad I am a small part of it.

It shows the quality of the people who work there, the talent & attitude of the students, and the great support that NDSU enjoys...in all areas of the university.

roadwarrior
12-09-2011, 10:40 PM
....students camping out at the Fargodome overnight in December, just to be first in line.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
12-09-2011, 11:09 PM
NDSU run the west coast offense (if that is indeed what we really run) and actually have a passing threat.

heffray
12-09-2011, 11:46 PM
It's probably different for every person, but the Big Dance is a spectacle. Yes, football is more popular but if popularity is what we're using as a basis the Big Dance crushes FCS playoffs in terms of national interest. People with no rooting interest from all over the country take 1 or 2 days off of work to go to a bar and watch those first days. It is a much bigger deal to a much wider audience than beating a crappy FBS football team or even winning the FCS title. Those both (crappy FBS games and FCS titles) have very limited audiences and I'll freely admit that I have some of that "little brother" syndrome that makes seeing the Bison playing on the big stage more appealing to me. I like football more but punching Kansas in the face and hanging with them with all the chips on the table is beyond App State vs Mich. Michigan mailed that game in and went on to a bad season anyway. Kansas was a legit threat to win it all and had every motivation in the world to beat the Bison. The more I think about it I actually don't think that Bison nation or myself have appreciated how freaking awesome that was.

Also-Big props to whoever said they'd go years without seeing Bison-Sioux. That didn't seem possible 15 years ago.

In response to your BOLD, in order:

1. I completely agree, and the only thing that the BCS could do to overtake March Madness is get their own Tournament, like the FCS. Even then, I don't know. There's such a tradition with the basketball tourney, I don't know...

2. This I disagree with, especially if the Bison could upset a legit contender, like maybe the same situation with App State v Mich, cept the losing team could finish in the top 25 rankings despite a loss to the Bison.

3. You're right. Biggest moment in our history so far. And I think it will be until we do what I said in point 2, or advance further into the Dance.