View Full Version : Bison Pride Alive and Well Among Students - BI.com Column

DjKyRo
12-07-2011, 04:27 PM
http://bisonillustrated.com/s.php?s=757

Any reasonable person sees camping as a fun vacation to take to the local woods or a nearby lake or river, secure in a toasty environment with a roaring campfire nearby. Recalling fondly my days in the summer canoeing through the Boundary Waters as a youth, when the summons came down for a camp out to put some student Bison Pride on display, I jumped at the chance.

The tale of our escapades at Bohlville! Enjoy!

NDSU92
12-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Great article DJ!

extremerouge
12-07-2011, 04:41 PM

Will there be more than six this week? That's pretty cool! Nice article by the way.

NDSU92
12-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Preliminary calculations lead us to believe there could be as many as ten or more, all students are invited!

DjKyRo
12-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Will there be more than six this week? That's pretty cool! Nice article by the way.

Thanks, and the idea is that there will be. Possibly even with girls. :nod:

extremerouge
12-07-2011, 04:45 PM

Girls playing Xbox, drinking energy drinks, and blaring thunderstruck???

Fantastic!

Bison"FANatic"
12-07-2011, 04:49 PM
20 years from now:

Son you were conceived while in a tent in sub zero weather while waiting in line to get in to see a Bison playoff game, so get off your ass and get out there and support the Bison!!!!!!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

BadlandsBison
12-07-2011, 04:54 PM
344johnson in his dress doesn't count as a girl.

duluthbison
12-07-2011, 05:02 PM
Well someone did say that KyRo's tent smelled like sex last weekend.....

Strommer10
12-07-2011, 05:14 PM
3 confirmed women at this point, we may have ten or more by the end of the week. NDSU92 got his hands on a 14 person tent and we are lookin into another heater. It's rolling on! Go Bison!

BTW, great article KyRo!

CAS4127
12-07-2011, 05:18 PM
Well someone did say that KyRo's tent smelled like sex last weekend.....

I understood he had his own tent!!:confused:

Nice article, Kyle. You will have some excellent writing samples to send to your would-be employers!!

MNLonghorn10
12-07-2011, 05:20 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/4sh1yw.jpg

DjKyRo
12-07-2011, 05:20 PM
3 confirmed women at this point, we may have ten or more by the end of the week. NDSU92 got his hands on a 14 person tent and we are lookin into another heater. It's rolling on! Go Bison!

Ten or more women or ten or more people total? This is an important point to expand upon.

Strommer10
12-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Ten or more women or ten or more people total? This is an important point to expand upon.

3 women for sure, could be more by the end of the week. We are looking at around 10 total, but could exceed that as well. The massive tent will help.

HerdBot
12-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Your a great leader and fan of the Bison.

CAS4127
12-07-2011, 05:35 PM
3 women for sure, could be more by the end of the week. We are looking at around 10 total, but could exceed that as well. The massive tent will help.

I won't even go there!!!!:confused::facepalm::hide:

MNLonghorn10
12-07-2011, 05:35 PM
with 3 confirmed women, your massive tent it is ready for 9 at least..

BadlandsBison
12-07-2011, 05:43 PM
I won't even go there!!!!:confused::facepalm::hide:

He pitches it all by himself, no help

Answer Guy
12-07-2011, 06:03 PM
3 confirmed women at this point

Confirmed that they will be attending, or confirmed that they are women? :confused:

Strommer10
12-07-2011, 06:09 PM
Confirmed that they will be attending, or confirmed that they are women? :confused:
Three female NDSU students will be attending... :D

runtheoption
12-07-2011, 06:10 PM
He pitches it all by himself, no help

That would be a pup tent.

DjKyRo
12-07-2011, 06:12 PM
I say we do the 14-person tent but set up as many others as we can get to at least give the illusion the place is packed. Watching the guy from KVLY talk about how stoked NDSU was and seeing two lonely tents in the dark corner was hilarious.

NDSU92
12-07-2011, 06:14 PM
I say we do the 14-person tent but set up as many others as we can get to at least give the illusion the place is packed. Watching the guy from KVLY talk about how stoked NDSU was and seeing two lonely tents in the dark corner was hilarious.

We'll have the big tent and maybe a few other tents full of people, it might actually be packed instead of just looking like it

DjKyRo
12-07-2011, 06:15 PM
We'll have the big tent and maybe a few other tents full of people, it might actually be packed instead of just looking like it

Also awesome.

CaBisonFan
12-07-2011, 06:16 PM
It's really nice to see a younger Bison fan who understands what the tradition is about. I desperately want this team to pass the championship torch by winning a national championship. It's the glue that will cement the past to the present. It needs to happen. Once that is done...I plan to get out of the historical business. Not bitterly...but very happily. I've tried to act as one of the carriers of the torch, to my best ability...which has sometimes been flawed. Others have done the same...as well, or better than I have.

Bohl apparently understands the need to get the big ring as well as anyone. I don't think that it's just about winning one championship for him. It would appear that he understands the need to get one or two for the sake of the program, the community, and for all Bison fans. I think that his background with Nebraska helps him to coach a tradition-laden program like ours. It's a lot harder than people think. Think about some of the big traditions in college sports that are having trouble finding their way out of the forest. Michigan, Notre Dame, Florida State, UCLA (basketball)...to name a few. The experience that you wrote about at the campout is very cool.

It's been very difficult for some of us old Bison fans to hold onto this program while it has wallowed in some type of suspended animation. A 3-D, colorful program had turned to a bland black & white for some of us. I know of many people who simply gave up...thinking that they had been abandoned by coaches and administrators who simply didn't 'get it.' Some of those people are former players. Others used to be rabid Bison fans. They aren't fair weather fans by any stretch. They gave up after 2 or 3 decades of on-again, off-again attempts at regaining the edge that we once had.

The program, as it is now, seems poised to re-establish the championship attitude. I truly believe that we have the talent and desire to win this whole thing. Injuries could prove to be a problem, but it also seems as though we have some real depth that we haven't had in a long time. Past championship-caliber teams had it before the DII watering down took effect. Damned NCAA. Damn them.

The swagger that some of us write about can only be maintained if championships come...or at least the knowledge that we are capable of getting one on a rather consistent basis. The young folks need to experience one.

So as we head into Saturday, and what I hope is a trip to Frisco, I wish that the young people can experience the feeling of having a new championship banner hanging in the ceiling of the FD. Their own. Frankly...I don't need it. I want it very, very, very badly for the people who haven't experienced it. I also want the players from the past to realize that 'their' legacy has been taken very good care of. They deserve this also.

I want it made very clear that Bison Football is something very special, and that our rich tradition is being passed on. People like the AGS crowd need to know that we are a juggernaut to be feared...like the old days.

Strommer10
12-07-2011, 06:20 PM
It's really nice to see a younger Bison fan who understands what the tradition is about. I desperately want this team to pass the championship torch by winning a national championship. It's the glue that will cement the past to the present. It needs to happen. Once that is done...I plan to get out of the historical business. Not bitterly...but very happily. I've tried to act as one of the carriers of the torch, to my best ability...which has sometimes been flawed. Others have done the same...as well, or better than I have.

Bohl apparently understands the need to get the big ring as well as anyone. I don't think that it's just about winning one championship for him. It would appear that he understands the need to get one or two for the sake of the program, the community, and for all Bison fans. I think that his background with Nebraska helps him to coach a tradition-laden program like ours. It's a lot harder than people think. Think about some of the big traditions in college sports that are having trouble finding their way out of the forest. Michigan, Notre Dame, Florida State, UCLA (basketball)...to name a few. The experience that you wrote about at the campout is very cool.

It's been very difficult for some of us old Bison fans to hold onto this program while it has wallowed in some type of suspended animation. A 3-D, colorful program had turned to a bland black & white for some of us. I know of many people who simply gave up...thinking that they had been abandoned by coaches and administrators who simply didn't 'get it.' Some of those people are former players. Others used to be rabid Bison fans. They aren't fair weather fans by any stretch. They gave up after 2 or 3 decades of on-again, off-again attempts at regaining the edge that we once had.

The program, as it is now, seems poised to re-establish the championship attitude. I truly believe that we have the talent and desire to win this whole thing. Injuries could prove to be a problem, but it also seems as though we have some real depth that we haven't had in a long time. Past championship-caliber teams had it before the DII watering down took effect. Damned NCAA. Damn them.

The swagger that some of us write about can only be maintained if championships come...or at least the knowledge that we are capable of getting one on a rather consistent basis. The young folks need to experience one.

So as we head into Saturday, and what I hope is a trip to Frisco, I wish that the young people can experience the feeling of having a new championship banner hanging in the ceiling of the FD. Their own. Frankly...I don't need it. I want it very, very, very badly for the people who haven't experienced it. I also want the players from the past to realize that 'their' legacy has been taken very good care of. They deserve this also.

I want it made very clear that Bison Football is something very special, and that our rich tradition is being passed on.
Well said CA, well said.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
12-07-2011, 06:21 PM

BTW, great article KyRo!

FYI, from a seasoned backcountry hiker, the bigger the tent, the colder the tent.

Good luck.

NDSU92
12-07-2011, 06:24 PM
FYI, from a seasoned backcountry hiker, the bigger the tent, the colder the tent.

Good luck.

Look at havin at least three 750 watt space heaters, so hopefully that helps with the overnight temp

Strommer10
12-07-2011, 06:24 PM

Good luck.
Our theory is if we have at least two heaters in it on each end and have say 10-12 people in it, we should be able to have enough body heat. Anything will be warmer than NDSU92's bug netting tent last week. :facepalm:

DjKyRo
12-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Our theory is if we have at least two heaters in it on each end and have say 10-12 people in it, we should be able to have enough body heat. Anything will be warmer than NDSU92's bug netting tent last week. :facepalm:

Mmmm...body heat.

NDSU92
12-07-2011, 06:32 PM

I want it made very clear that Bison Football is something very special, and that our rich tradition is being passed on. People like the AGS crowd need to know that we are a juggernaut to be feared...like the old days.

That's what I like to think we are starting: creating hype and excitement for the team playing on the field but understanding that we wouldn't be here without the many great football teams that have come before...one of the first things we said when we got together was that it sounded like something the fans would've done in the 80's (none of us were alive for the 80's)

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
12-07-2011, 06:33 PM
In refence to CA's post, I have been bragging to my son for quite few years (he is now in eigth grade and is a huge Bison fan) that out of the 5 years I went to SU we won 3 national championships.

That is something to be proud of. Hopefully the current students will have the chance to reflect back on their colleges days with as much pride as my generation currently enjoys.

CaBisonFan
12-07-2011, 06:49 PM
In refence to CA's post, I have been bragging to my son for quite few years (he is now in eigth grade and is a huge Bison fan) that out of the 5 years I went to SU we won 3 national championships.

That is something to be proud of. Hopefully the current students will have the chance to reflect back on their colleges days with as much pride as my generation currently enjoys.

Yup...and he...probably more than you...needs to see this happen. I've been thinking about another program that has truly gone through hell since their glory days. That would be Minnesota. They were once a nationally known juggernaut...and the last time that they had an inkling of that feeling was when Dr. Lou was in town. That was short-lived because Notre Dame came calling. That...is a tough gig...to put it lightly. And I don't want that to ever happen to North Dakota State.

Hell...I used to believe that we were destined to win a championship every year. What's forgotten is that during the off years we were still a great team. One or two pieces might have been missing...an injury to a QB...or just bad luck.

So I call all of those teams champions. That's where we need to get back to. I really think that Bohl has taught this. In 06 & 07 when he talked about the national exposure & respect...that's what he really meant. He wants it badly. For a while I doubted his commitment...but now I don't. The story about visiting the students at the campout has convinced me.

BisonTeacher
12-07-2011, 07:02 PM

Nice work. Well written.

BISONBRI53
12-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Good work guys! Keep it up!

extremerouge
12-07-2011, 07:56 PM
That's what I like to think we are starting: creating hype and excitement for the team playing on the field but understanding that we wouldn't be here without the many great football teams that have come before...one of the first things we said when we got together was that it sounded like something the fans would've done in the 80's (none of us were alive for the 80's)

Holy buckets! I didn't realize how old I am! You missed a good decade (in Bison football anyway...)

Strommer10
12-07-2011, 08:27 PM
Holy buckets! I didn't realize how old I am! You missed a good decade (in Bison football anyway...)
This is why we are so excited about this team. This is the most relavant(having the chance at winning a national title) that NDSU football has been since most of us have been alive.

DjKyRo
12-07-2011, 08:38 PM
We won our last championship exactly two weeks before I was born, so yes, extremerouge, you are old. :)

Bison03
12-07-2011, 08:50 PM
11 years ago, we had a great team led by an awesome RB that lost on a field of kitty litter. 1 year ago we had a great team that peaked in the playoffs and lost on an ugly red field. This year we have a great team led by a bunch of big time leaders. This year we play on our turf. Time to restore the thunder around Bison Football!!

Bison_since_Birth
12-07-2011, 11:37 PM
That's right, i missed a championship by one year...i need a jacket i can wear in 30 years with championship dates on it!

56BISON73
12-07-2011, 11:53 PM

Well done Kyle!!!!!

No_Skill
12-07-2011, 11:56 PM

Good luck.

Pitch the smaller tents inside the larger tent for better insulation.

BisonTeacher
12-08-2011, 12:21 AM
Pitch the smaller tents inside the larger tent for better insulation.

I thought you said there were gonna be girls there? :rofl:

runtheoption
12-08-2011, 08:12 PM

From the "Lehigh score prediction and game discussion" thread:

Bison - 42
Mountain Hawks - 0

Lum throws the ball 69 times, amassing 643 yards of passing. However, MWILL has 7 interceptions, all returned for TD's. He gains 546 return yards on the INT's, for some sort of record. Jastram tries to drop-kick all the PAT's, missing all of them. The Bison offense doesn't get 1 snap, allowing DJ's foot, Jensen's toe, Smith's hammy, and Austin's entire body to heal up for the semi-final.

Sections 20 & 21 quit yelling on 3rd & 4th downs because NDSU can't stop them. They just wait for the next MWILL pick 6.

SAV, Hando and his wife have the most fun they have ever, ever had at a Bison game. Section 28 will never be the same.

AG is found laying in a ditch near Crookston, unconsious, naked and painted green & gold. A sign with "Who's your Daddy now, BITCH?" is found nearby. BlueBisonRock is there to photo-document it all. CAS's alibi is "I was busy uploading the latest decibel meter app on my Iphone."

SD and Ming play one-on-one flag football. Ming is winning 72-0, because SD cannot catch him. However, SD's wins by forfeit because Ming is hurt on his last TD, as he is taunting SD and Ming does not see a large, fast, good-looking spectator blind-side him into oblivion.

DjKyRo is carried off the field on the shoulders of his peers. NDSU's football players have a huge cutout of him on the NDSU sideline.

Gabe starts a thread. CABison writes a post about how the passion and excitement is back for NDSU football, the tradition continues, and thanks the predecessors from the 60's, 70's and 80's for starting it all.

And in a surprising turn of events, TAB re-comes out of the closet, and reveals that he is, in fact, a heterosexual. Not that there is anything wrong with that. His wife is confused.

Yep!!!!!!!

CaBisonFan
12-08-2011, 11:09 PM
The passion and excitement is back for NDSU football..the tradition continues...and thanks to the predecessors from the 60s, 70s, 80s, & 90s for starting it all.