PDA

View Full Version : What is Lehigh like?

Loud and Proud Bison fan
12-04-2011, 12:43 AM
I know absolutely nothing about Lehigh football other than I need to get accepted by an admin person on their forum to post and ask this. I seen their only loss was the second week in overtime.

KSBisonFan
12-04-2011, 12:48 AM
They're a good team and they won't be afraid of us or playing in a hostile environment....playoff experienced team.

Loud and Proud Bison fan
12-04-2011, 12:54 AM
I assume they are a passing team when they average a little over 340 yards passing per game.

DjKyRo
12-04-2011, 12:57 AM
Very good passing team - QB Chris Lum is a finalist (and IMHO, favorite) for the Payton award. Good run defense, but a lot of their stats are illusions of playing a pretty soft schedule. Allowed 38 to Towson tonight on just shy of 400 yards of offense, but held a very good freshman RB to 52 yards on 11 carries, so take that as you will.

The one thing about their team that is definitely the real deal is their QB, and we've faced good QBs before. Denarius McGhee looked unstoppable last year, then had a bad day against us in the playoffs.

Just top-of-my-head stuff, more later once I've done some research.

Tatanka
12-04-2011, 12:57 AM
Have to wonder about their stats when most of them come against the Patriot League. No offense meant, just reality.

bisonmike2
12-04-2011, 01:00 AM
The have a very good QB and they don't run the ball much. They give up a lot of points, but they aren't scared to play in tough environments. They beat UNI last year and of course Townson this year. If we can keep possession of the ball, keep their offense off the field, we should win. Their QB is good, but he will also throw a pick or two. I think he has 15 on the year. MWill better be ready because our secondary will be tested.

Loud and Proud Bison fan
12-04-2011, 01:01 AM
Very good passing team - QB Chris Lum is a finalist (and IMHO, favorite) for the Payton award. Good run defense, but a lot of their stats are illusions of playing a pretty soft schedule. Allowed 38 to Towson tonight on just shy of 400 yards of offense, but held a very good freshman RB to 52 yards on 11 carries, so take that as you will.

The one thing about their team that is definitely the real deal is their QB, and we've faced good QBs before. Denarius McGhee looked unstoppable last year, then had a bad day against us in the playoffs.

Just top-of-my-head stuff, more later once I've done some research.

Thanks for the information! That was some good research already! And thanks for responding on my first ever thread :)

AEBison1998
12-04-2011, 01:02 AM
3-4 Defense!

KSBisonFan
12-04-2011, 01:03 AM
Stud QB (36-48 for 351 and a TD today) and they love to pass.....opposite of JMU so coaches will have to gameplan to stop the pass instead of the run. I'm confident our D will come up big and Marcus will get a pick six.

devin45k
12-04-2011, 04:16 AM
We both played Lafayette at home

Lehigh 37-13

NDSU 42-6

onbison09
12-04-2011, 04:21 AM
We both played Lafayette at home

Lehigh 37-13

NDSU 42-6

That's a rivalry game for them so not bad

NDSUstudent
12-04-2011, 04:22 AM
They gave up 38 and 48 to the playoff teams they played. Their offense is good though but they haven't played a defense that is at all like NDSUs.

DjKyRo
12-04-2011, 04:34 AM
They gave up 38 and 48 to the playoff teams they played. Their offense is good though but they haven't played a defense that is at all like NDSUs.

Pretty revealing stat. I'm trying hard not to look at Lehigh as just another team that dominated a weak conference, but their signature performances in the regular season came in a 48-45 OT loss to a UNH that has an atrocious defense and the second-place team in the Big South. I will say I'm impressed that they limited West's production for Towson today but one has to wonder why one of the leading candidates for the Jerry Rice Award only got 11 carries on the ground when he's the reason Towson won the CAA.

IndyBison
12-04-2011, 04:38 AM
Lehigh is a great school in an industrial town in eastern PA. Remember the Billy Joel song "Allentown"? One of my employees is a Lehigh grad so I look forward to harassing him this week. May have to invite him over for the game Saturday! Lee Iacocca is a Lehigh grad.

NDSUstudent
12-04-2011, 04:43 AM
Pretty revealing stat. I'm trying hard not to look at Lehigh as just another team that dominated a weak conference, but their signature performances in the regular season came in a 48-45 OT loss to a UNH that has an atrocious defense and the second-place team in the Big South. I will say I'm impressed that they limited West's production for Towson today but one has to wonder why one of the leading candidates for the Jerry Rice Award only got 11 carries on the ground when he's the reason Towson won the CAA.

Odd that Towson put up 38 on them with West not doing much. I think Lehigh could be tough if their QB gets going but if we can get to him consistently with pressure I think he will crumble like Montana State's QB did last year.

DjKyRo
12-04-2011, 04:49 AM
Odd that Towson put up 38 on them with West not doing much. I think Lehigh could be tough if their QB gets going but if we can get to him consistently with pressure I think he will crumble like Montana State's QB did last year.

Gameplan has to be the equal-but-opposite of JMU - force them to get away from what they're used to. Difference here is that whereas JMU didn't have the gameplan to play from behind (had to abandon the run, whereupon the game was over), Lehigh will be a threat from start to finish.

Probably going to be the single biggest match-up for Marcus Williams all season. Lum's favorite target (Spadola) has a ridiculous 1,462 receiving yards on the season and 10 TDs. This is going to be an awesome battle to watch go down and a great test for Marcus.

NDSUstudent
12-04-2011, 04:53 AM
Big game for Dudzik as well, he got burned a bit vs YSU. We need him back to where he was vs Ill State.

NWNDBison
12-04-2011, 09:56 AM
Probably going to be the single biggest match-up for Marcus Williams all season. Lum's favorite target (Spadola) has a ridiculous 1,462 receiving yards on the season and 10 TDs. This is going to be an awesome battle to watch go down and a great test for Marcus.

I watched the Towson/Lehigh game highlights video. Lehigh's passing game looked VERY impressive.

KTF
12-04-2011, 01:51 PM
The best way to stop these guys is time of possession. I am guessing that their QB needs a lot of reps to make the offense work. IF the Bison can sustain a few long drives on offense that will go a long way with the defensive side of the game. Waht are their line weights? Will the Bison be able to dominate the trenches again?

tony
12-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Their QB, Chris Lum, has thrown almost 500 times! Those are career numbers for most Bison QBs I remember. He can also pull it down and run. Their offense unveiled the halfback pass against their last opponent and got a TD off of it. Spadola is the best WR NDSU will have faced this year but, obviously, their QB spreads the ball around well; for example,eight different players made receptions against Towson. Their drives don't eat up much clock.

On defense, their front 3 on defense are big fellas. Flizak is 6-7 and affects passes to his side of the field. They've got a 6-2 290 bowling ball in the middle. Knapp is the other tackle - 6-4 260 IIRC. However, #43 Mike Groome (MLB) and #10 Colin Newton (OLB) are their two tackling machines. They had two starters leave the game early with injuries, MLB Boyko who started the last five games and CB Gabe Johnson who was just coming back from injury.

BisoninNWMN
12-04-2011, 01:59 PM

This here ^^^^^^^

NDSU's defense will be the best they have played against. Towson's RB probably only had 11 carries because the game turned into a shootout.

We sustain drives and keep their offense off the field....we win.

They will get some passing yards on our Tampa-2 but our Dline is good and they will get pressure on Lum.

IMO, I was more concerned with JMU.

A1pigskin
12-04-2011, 01:59 PM
The have a very good QB and they don't run the ball much. They give up a lot of points, but they aren't scared to play in tough environments. They beat UNI last year and of course Townson this year. If we can keep possession of the ball, keep their offense off the field, we should win. Their QB is good, but he will also throw a pick or two. I think he has 15 on the year. MWill better be ready because our secondary will be tested.

Did they beat UNI at UNI last year?

tony
12-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Forgot the offensive line and special teams in my previous post.

They have a lot of experience on their offensive line. They're not Missouri Valley big but they've got decent size and have only given up 15 sacks.

Lehigh's special teams look average on paper but playing in the dome can help their punting game.

And, yes, they beat UNI at UNI last year.

HandoEX
12-04-2011, 02:53 PM
They have one of the most storied DI wrestling programs in the country.

I like our chances in this matchup!!! Running teams typically scare me more. We'll get back into our base cover 2 and we WILL get to Lum!!!

Loud and Proud Bison fan
12-04-2011, 05:36 PM
I am guessing being in a dome, will do nothing but help their passing game. I hope we make a couple of picks this week, after one hit a defender in the head and Williams dropped his sure pick 6.. because his eyes were bigger than the hole could have ran back! Sounds like it will be a fun game, I cant wait!

MNLonghorn10
12-04-2011, 05:50 PM
we're gonna kick their asses.

speaking of marcus williams...late in the 4th yesterday he finally caught an "interception" but he was out of bounds..got a sarcastic applause from the crowd then he acknowledged his mistakes by doing some "finally" thing with his arms...and got a real applause from the crowd...thought that was funny

BadlandsBison
12-04-2011, 05:57 PM
we're gonna kick their asses.

speaking of marcus williams...late in the 4th yesterday he finally caught an "interception" but he was out of bounds..got a sarcastic applause from the crowd then he acknowledged his mistakes by doing some "finally" thing with his arms...and got a real applause from the crowd...thought that was funny

We need the pass rush we saw against Minne and Lehigh would have no chance. Last year in Bozeman, McGee had only been sacked like 5 times the whole year and we got him 6 times or something?

And seriously, I don't know what Bohl can do about the offense. Hand the ball to the fullback I guess lol

HandoEX
12-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Some stat comparisons below. They have the big stats, but a lot of the diffence makers are heavily in our favor...special teams, turnovers, penalties, etc. I think special teams will again be absolutely huge for us. Also, they've played in front of the same number of fans in 12 games than we played in front of in our first 3. The Dome crowd will be a difference.

Points Per Game
NDSU: 32.8 for, 14.8 against (+17.6 ppg)
Lehigh: 35.2 for, 19.8 against (+15.4 ppg)
Total Offensive Yards Per Game
NDSU: 4119 for, 3840 against (+279 ypg)
Lehigh: 5749 for, 3720 against (+2029)
First Downs
NDSU: 210 gained, 209 against
Lehigh: 291 gained, 215 against
Rushing Yards
NDSU: 1949 gained (4.6 ypr), 1432 against (3.6 ypr)
Lehigh: 1609 gained (4.1 ypr), 1115 against (2.9 ypr)
Rushing TDs
NDSU: 31 for, 8 against
Lehigh: 21 for, 11 against
Passing Yards
NDSU: 2170 for (7.9 yds per pass), 2408 against (6.6 pds per pass)
Lehigh: 4140 for (8.2 tds per pass), 2605 against (6.3 yds per pass)
Touchdowns to Ints
NDSU: 11-2
Lehigh: 33-15
KO Return
NDSU: 24.5 for, 20.8 against
Lehigh: 20.4 for, 21.2 against
Punt Returns
NDSU: 11.5 for, 6.5 against
Lehigh: 6.4 for, 10.9 against
Field Goals
NDSU: 14-16 (87.5%)
Lehigh: 11-17 (64.7%)
Penalties
NDSU: 48.6 ypg
Lehigh: 58.8 ypg
Turnover Margin
NDSU: +15
Lehigh: +7

CHADSTAUS
12-05-2011, 07:02 PM
I watched the replay last night on ESPN3.com. I'm not sure what to think of them. There stats are off the charts in the passing dept, but I think if they were in the MVC, they would not be as impressive. We need to keep this QB in check and not give there WR tons of open lanes. Our crowd could be the biggest factor in the game. Lets sell the dome out, and make it impossible for them to do a damn thing!!

Bison- 38

Lehigh- 20

Castor Troy
12-05-2011, 07:10 PM
They're defense is not nearly as good as JMU and we are continuing to get more healthy with each day. Marcus redeems himself and we rush for over 200 yards.

THE North Dakota State Bison- 31
THE Grape Nehis- 18

CaBisonFan
12-05-2011, 07:17 PM
We need the pass rush we saw against Minne and Lehigh would have no chance. Last year in Bozeman, McGee had only been sacked like 5 times the whole year and we got him 6 times or something?

And seriously, I don't know what Bohl can do about the offense. Hand the ball to the fullback I guess lol

Agreed...if we're going to win this whole thing Boyer & Co. need to totally dominate. Then the offense can rely mostly on the run. Ball possession, running, long drives, short accurate passes to keep the flag moving. That's our game plan to win the championship...but it would sure be nice if Ryan Smith comes back strong with a few bigger pass plays. If he isn't healthy...defenses will eventually figure out that we have virtually no passing game.

tony
12-05-2011, 07:17 PM
Lehigh's offensive and defensive lines looked really, really good.

They did stuff Towson's running game but Towson runs The Spread whereas NDSU runs The Smash. Have to see if that makes a difference.

Old Lehigh Fan
12-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Hello, Bison!

Looking forward to good reading on this board throughout the week. First of all, the registration process here is not easy. That image identification step required 5 tries.

Attended Lehigh briefly as a PhD candidate. Been watching them since 1963. You might enjoy these observations:

1. There IS some "elitist" attitude there. Very close to an Ivy League school, although I doubt more than 200 Lehigh fans will be in Fargo.
2. There are no merit-based football scholarships right now. Financial aid, yes. BUT, Lehigh takes pride in maintaining a very high academic standard. It's not easy to enroll now matter how good an athlete you are. They lose many fine players due to academics.
3. Their players are intelligent and can handle new and difficult schemes. Their playbook is large.
4. They will NOT be intimidated by your team, your crowd, your dome.
5. Their biggest weakness has been special teams play, but they've improved every week.
6. They have lots of talent at several positions. For example, their leading rusher (Barkett) is out for the season, but 2-3 other guys have been performing just as well.
7. Lum is outstanding. More mobile than you think.
8. Defense is quick. Linebackers relentless.
9. The team is VERY focused. They'll stick to their plan and execute.
10. They are significantly stronger than the Lafayette you saw in September.

I'll give consideration to attending as a tag-along on the charter flight if space permits. I expect Lehigh to be competitive with you, but right now,
I'll admit my pick is:

Bison 31
Lehigh 21

HerdBot
12-05-2011, 07:33 PM
I know absolutely nothing about Lehigh football other than I need to get accepted by an admin person on their forum to post and ask this. I seen their only loss was the second week in overtime.

I think 19 out of 22 starters are Juniors or Seniors. They beat UNI last year at the UNI dome. The only game they lost was in OT to a CAA team. Run a 34 defense. Dynamic passing attack. Great QB. Throws a lot of short passes. Larger budget for football than we have. Plays in the Patriot. Same league as Lafayette. Not the toughest conference but these guys absolutely dominate. Should be a tremendous game.

tony
12-05-2011, 07:45 PM
I think 19 out of 22 starters are Juniors or Seniors. They beat UNI last year at the UNI dome. The only game they lost was in OT to a CAA team. Run a 34 defense. Dynamic passing attack. Great QB. Throws a lot of short passes. Larger budget for football than we have. Plays in the Patriot. Same league as Lafayette. Not the toughest conference but these guys absolutely dominate. Should be a tremendous game.

That is bizarre! NDSU has to fly several times a year... can't see how their football budget can be so big.

roadwarrior
12-05-2011, 07:48 PM
That is bizarre! NDSU has to fly several times a year... can't see how their football budget can be so big.

Tuition cost.

tony
12-05-2011, 07:53 PM
I think 19 out of 22 starters are Juniors or Seniors.

I looked at their two-deep and there is ONE freshman on it (backup kick returner Jason Suggs.)

Source: Last week's Lehigh game notes:

http://www.lehighsports.com/assets/1/workflow_staging/AssetManager/46446.PDF

Also: Their holder is none other than their QB, Chris Lum, so that's something to watch.

Loud and Proud Bison fan
12-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Hello, Bison!

Looking forward to good reading on this board throughout the week. First of all, the registration process here is not easy. That image identification step required 5 tries.

Attended Lehigh briefly as a PhD candidate. Been watching them since 1963. You might enjoy these observations:

1. There IS some "elitist" attitude there. Very close to an Ivy League school, although I doubt more than 200 Lehigh fans will be in Fargo.
2. There are no merit-based football scholarships right now. Financial aid, yes. BUT, Lehigh takes pride in maintaining a very high academic standard. It's not easy to enroll now matter how good an athlete you are. They lose many fine players due to academics.
3. Their players are intelligent and can handle new and difficult schemes. Their playbook is large.
5. Their biggest weakness has been special teams play, but they've improved every week.
6. They have lots of talent at several positions. For example, their leading rusher (Barkett) is out for the season, but 2-3 other guys have been performing just as well.

I'll give consideration to attending as a tag-along on the charter flight if space permits. I expect Lehigh to be competitive with you, but right now,
I'll admit my pick is:

Bison 31
Lehigh 21

No offense to you, but I tried to make a thread on th Lehigh website on Saturday night to ask this question. I am still waiting for my approval from their administrators. So, I think your guy's boards are kind of like a bank to get into. Anyways, Nice to see you here..its always fun to hear from the competition. Welcome and hope to see some of your fans tailgating this weekend!

Mr. Burgundy
12-05-2011, 09:22 PM
Hello, Bison!

I'll admit my pick is:

Bison 31
Lehigh 21

Thanks for stopping by. I have one comment, alot of people are talking about the dome being intimidating....it isn't really "intimidating" it is more of the fact that it is so loud you can't hear or think. You may lose focus. Several times a game... against all teams........this happens. Kids at this level simply don't play in a facility that gets this loud....which is fact. I am anticipating another great game. NDSU may not throw the ball. They may just pound it. There is a certain arrogance/pride that involves being a midwestern team and our Rams want to prove they are flat out tougher/meaner. We have ran it on whoever we have wanted to during the playoffs the last 2 years.

bisonhp330
12-05-2011, 09:22 PM
Lehigh's offensive and defensive lines looked really, really good.

They did stuff Towson's running game but Towson runs The Spread whereas NDSU runs The Smash. Have to see if that makes a difference.

Never heard of that offensive scheme.....did Vigen invent that? :irslow:

DePereBisonFan
12-05-2011, 09:36 PM
Hello, Bison!

I'll admit my pick is:

Bison 31
Lehigh 21

Welcome!

ten characters

Old Lehigh Fan
12-05-2011, 10:17 PM
Loud and Proud-

That Lehigh Sports Forum board is pretty much dead. Most participants have moved over to AnyGivenSaturday for its greater readership. At AGS, you are more likely to get response from other Patriot League fans, particularly from Lafayette. The Lafayette gang hates Lehigh. Some will even be willing to give you "how to beat Lehigh" info. Too bad they didn't follow their own advice.

Jim Puetz
12-06-2011, 01:05 AM
Bison. 42
Mountain chicks 13

squarepeg
12-06-2011, 02:46 AM
Hello, Bison!

I'll admit my pick is:

Bison 31
Lehigh 21

If I had a nickel for every time a small private college says we're not Ivy League but we're close.... :rofl:

unbison
12-06-2011, 09:28 AM
If I had a nickel for every time a small private college says we're not Ivy League but we're close.... :rofl:
well i believe their are 10 ivy league schools so i would assume that leaves about 1590 private schools left in the US so i am gonna say you wouldnt have a whole lot

unbison
12-06-2011, 11:06 AM
was watching a little of the lehigh towson game..... I really think the bison need to run and run some more wear them out........ own the time of possesion........thier qb looks good but does get happy feet if there is any form of pressure so pressure is key.......the tampa 2 scares me against these guys........ the boys will have to be very assignment sharp and disciplined in this game

CAS4127
12-06-2011, 02:45 PM
was watching a little of the lehigh towson game..... I really think the bison need to run and run some more wear them out........ own the time of possesion........thier qb looks good but does get happy feet if there is any form of pressure so pressure is key.......the tampa 2 scares me against these guys........ the boys will have to be very assignment sharp and disciplined in this game

Our LB's will need to cover better than they have all year!! That said, I sometimes think to myself that they cover better than the Vikes' LBs-->but that ain't sayin' much.

Old Lehigh Fan
12-06-2011, 04:31 PM
The Bison linebackers will have plenty to comprehend, and quickly. Also, Lehigh does a good job with halftime adjustments.

NDSUstudent
12-06-2011, 04:44 PM
The front four will need to generate a consistent pass rush like they did vs Montana State last year. All the noise and chaos should help give the DL get a better jump on the OL.