PDA

View Full Version : JMU coach: NDSU isolated

skolbrother
11-30-2011, 11:30 PM
Just a little bit of a jab calling us isolated & we have nothing better to do. To which I respond there is something else than Bison football & Fargo Freeze hockey?!! Ha!

MNLonghorn10
11-30-2011, 11:50 PM
harrisonburg has some bitching points of interest, according to their wiki:

Edith J. Carrier Arboretum
Virginia Quilt Museum[25]
Downtown Harrisonburg
Harrisonburg Children's Museum

plus this guy screams douche, i mean he wears a visor...sorta similar to..
http://broncotalk.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/bobstoops2.jpg

westnodak93bison
11-30-2011, 11:52 PM
He meant Bison Football is basically the only game in town as compared to their area which has FBS schools etc.

Bison"FANatic"
12-01-2011, 12:09 AM
You also have to love the shot about how far is it from Minnesota because there are a quite a few players from there.

WYOBISONMAN
12-01-2011, 12:19 AM
Beat the shit out of them and shut him up!!!

HandoEX
12-01-2011, 12:24 AM
We ARE isolated and Bison football IS the only show in town!!! There wasn't anything disrespectful in what he said.

BSKB 24
12-01-2011, 12:34 AM
We ARE isolated and Bison football IS the only show in town!!! There wasn't anything disrespectful in what he said.

Thank you. A reasonable understanding of what he said. Unquestionably, Fargo is off the beaten path, but that isn't a bad thing. I am sure it benefits your team that they are the greatest show in town. To a degree, we do have to compete with VA Tech and UVa for the same fans. I don't think there is any bulletin board material in what Mickey said. Beside, he is from West Texas, so he knows all about being off the beaten path.

skolbrother
12-01-2011, 12:47 AM
He was being reasonable but telling someone they are short when it is fairly certain they already fully understand that fact is as the experts would say passive aggressive. He will soon understand the power of being "the only game in town" with a roof!

scbison91
12-01-2011, 12:53 AM
Thank you. A reasonable understanding of what he said. Unquestionably, Fargo is off the beaten path, but that isn't a bad thing. I am sure it benefits your team that they are the greatest show in town. To a degree, we do have to compete with VA Tech and UVa for the same fans. I don't think there is any bulletin board material in what Mickey said. Beside, he is from West Texas, so he knows all about being off the beaten path.

Fargo, is 3 hours from Minneapolis.. How in the hell is that off the beaten path... It is probably a shorter drive to Fargo to MSP than it is from Richmond to DC on a Sunday afternoon.

BadlandsBison
12-01-2011, 12:55 AM
As far as recruiting, its easier to fill a roster out east even with the fbs schools around.

MNLonghorn10
12-01-2011, 01:11 AM
wait, fargo..as in north dakota..he said nothin about minny. haha suckers.

CAS4127
12-01-2011, 01:32 AM
He can be as coy and "quick-witted" as he wants, but he dug his own hole. Saying NDSU is isolated and asking how close it is to MN in thesame breath makes his BIG world seem quite small doesn't it?!

THE ASSKICKING WE R GONNA GIVE THEM AND THE DESRERVED SHIT STORM ON THEIR BOARD AND AGS CAN'T COME SOON ENOUGH--get ur asses to Fargo JWaynes!!

56BISON73
12-01-2011, 03:53 AM

Hes never heard of the Cobbers????????

Frisco Dukes
12-01-2011, 05:28 AM
i've seen it all now, "only" being 3 hours from the bustling, center-of-it-all-metropolis of minneapolis is NOT off the beaten path, especially when compared to a 1.5 hour drive...to the nation's capital no less. but hey, they've a roller coaster in a mall and outdoor baseball!

classic.

North Side
12-01-2011, 05:44 AM
i've seen it all now, "only" being 3 hours from the bustling, center-of-it-all-metropolis of minneapolis is NOT off the beaten path, especially when compared to a 1.5 hour drive...to the nation's capital no less. but hey, they've a roller coaster in a mall and outdoor baseball!

classic.

who cares where JMU or NDSU are... all I know is your team is worse than our team, prepare to be eliminated

might want to move this to smack

BSKB 24
12-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Fargo, is 3 hours from Minneapolis.. How in the hell is that off the beaten path... It is probably a shorter drive to Fargo to MSP than it is from Richmond to DC on a Sunday afternoon.

Only 100 miles from Richmond to D.C. The big difference is you would pass 2 million cars on I 95 and it would take 4 hours at rush hour!

Living in all that open space up there has it's advantages.

DirtyDukes
12-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Man, you'd think the #2 seed wouldn't be so insecure. "He made fun of the fact we're in the middle of nowhere!!!"

Hammerhead
12-01-2011, 01:47 PM
We are somewhat isolated in the football world. Just look at how many Bison players have traditionally come from Minnesota and Wisconsin. I'm sure that is mostly due to the Gophers not doing so well in the past few decades and a lack of FCS or quality D-II teams in Wisconsin.

westnodak93bison
12-01-2011, 01:53 PM
You also have to love the shot about how far is it from Minnesota because there are a quite a few players from there.

He meant the Twin Cities.

Vitojr130
12-01-2011, 02:09 PM
Guys guys guys, give him a break. If his excuse to justify his loss is, "They are in the middle of no-where" then I say give it to him. Gotta bring some hope and cheer to JMU fans after the game on Saturday...

TheBisonator
12-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Fargo-Moorhead is located at the intersection of two of the busiest interstates in the US for trucking/shipping. F-M is basically a "hub" for the trucking industry, like SLC or Atlanta are "hubs" for Delta.

When the NAFTA Superhighway system was proposed, the only spot where two of the Superhighways intersected was.... Fargo.

KC Bison
12-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Looks to me like a coach preparing his fans for a loss. We had to spend weeks on a stagecoach getting to that isolated place, Fargo and their fans were like howling wolves with all this time on their hands, with nothing else to do. We were too tired and too scared to win the game.

Frisco Dukes
12-01-2011, 03:23 PM
there's a reason why that area would be an ideal hub for trucking....there's nothing around, hence no traffic, hence shorter delays.

also, you're talking about transporting chickens and cow feed vs. transporting people via airplane.

look, we get it, fargo/nd is a great area if you enjoy a quieter lifestyle, shooting at stuff off the back porch without interference from the local authorities, reliving your glory days of high school wrasslin' with people who remember the big regional tournament from 1989 over a beer that costs $.75, and don't mind freezing your keyster off for 6 months out of the year. jmu fans (see: the aristocrats) are more than happy to concede these points.

if the fact that it takes 4 hours to reach the perpetual party scenes of winnipeg or minneapolis doesn't phase ya, bully for you. personally i spent an enjoyable week+ in big sky country a few years back, laughed as people unsuspectingly ingested bull testicles under cloak of "rocky mountain oysters," smashed a gorgie 19 year old calgarian gal who was visiting great falls on a girls wknd (read into that what you will), but after day 8 i was ready to return to civilization.

there's a reason for the dreaded east coast bias. because more stuff, that's more important and culturally relevant to the majority of the country/world, produced by a more diverse demographic, happens there on a daily basis. that's just a fact.

in the same 4 hours it would take you drive from fargo to minny you could leave jmu and reach the nation's capital, baltimore, any # of fantastic beaches, multiple mountain ranges, nearly reach the original nation's capital or put yourself 1.5 hours from nyc. all the while knowing that you've got a beautiful campus nestled in the shenandoah valley awaiting your return.....with 60% of the ~18k+ undergraduates of the female persuasion.

i'll take the commonwealth of virginia every day of the week.

Bison"FANatic"
12-01-2011, 03:35 PM
there's a reason why that area would be an ideal hub for trucking....there's nothing around, hence no traffic, hence shorter delays.

also, you're talking about transporting chickens and cow feed vs. transporting people via airplane.

look, we get it, fargo/nd is a great area if you enjoy a quieter lifestyle, shooting at stuff off the back porch without interference from the local authorities, reliving your glory days of high school wrasslin' with people who remember the big regional tournament from 1989 over a beer that costs $.75, and don't mind freezing your keyster off for 6 months out of the year. jmu fans (see: the aristocrats) are more than happy to concede these points.

if the fact that it takes 4 hours to reach the perpetual party scenes of winnipeg or minneapolis doesn't phase ya, bully for you. personally i spent an enjoyable week+ in big sky country a few years back, laughed as people unsuspectingly ingested bull testicles under cloak of "rocky mountain oysters," smashed a gorgie 19 year old calgarian gal who was visiting great falls on a girls wknd (read into that what you will), but after day 8 i was ready to return to civilization.

there's a reason for the dreaded east coast bias. because more stuff, that's more important and culturally relevant to the majority of the country/world, produced by a more diverse demographic, happens there on a daily basis. that's just a fact.

in the same 4 hours it would take you drive from fargo to minny you could leave jmu and reach the nation's capital, baltimore, any # of fantastic beaches, multiple mountain ranges, nearly reach the original nation's capital or put yourself 1.5 hours from nyc. all the while knowing that you've got a beautiful campus nestled in the shenandoah valley awaiting your return.....with 60% of the ~18k+ undergraduates of the female persuasion.

Then why does your location say San Francisco if Virginia is the Gods gift to this great earth?????

cbline
12-01-2011, 03:57 PM

I'll take North Dakota's huge budget surplus over Virginia's deficit every day of the week.

"State could face $1B budget gap, House committees learn

The Richmond Times-Dispatch | by Olympia Meola | November 16, 2011

STAUNTON -- Members of the House of Delegates' money committees were told on Tuesday that the state could face a roughly $1 billion budget gap over the next two years despite increasing revenues.

BisonJD
12-01-2011, 03:57 PM

Kick the shit out of these assholes....

bisonaudit
12-01-2011, 04:07 PM

VA has more than its fair share of hillbillies; convienently ignored by our fiendly guest. But I suppose we all like to ignore things which don't support our point of view. The Shenandoah is beautiful and you can't argue with the enrollment ratio but, there's plenty not to like about VA and the Mid-Atlantic as well, just as there's plenty to enjoy in Fargo and the Upper Mid-West. As someone who's lived in both the Commnwealth of Virginia and the State of North Dakota; each are what you make of them.

KilldeerBison
12-01-2011, 04:14 PM

classic.
Frisco Dukes = Buffalo Bill

Frisco Dukes
12-01-2011, 04:26 PM
my location says san francisco because i just moved here from nyc.

just because i believe the state of virginia is superior to north dakota and that the east coast is the best place to live doesn't mean i want to spend my entire life in one state or, hell, even on one coast.

no better place to spend your 20's as an upwardly mobile single guy than nyc, but after 10 years it was time for the next adventure.

gotta get out and see the world boys and girls. how can you describe the ocean if you've never seen it?

Vitojr130
12-01-2011, 04:30 PM

Yes, all we do here is farm, farm, and farm some more. I guess that's why your operating system for your computer was probably engineered in Fargo. Microsoft must really of wanted to establish it's second of only 2 bases in a farm town.

That commonwealth of Virginia is really working out for ya, correct? Whoops, for a second there I forgot which state was in debt.... *roll eyes here*

Herd80
12-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Why in the world does anyone bite on this kind of backward-ND crap? If you live here, you sort of know better. Besides, who the hell cares. I'll be damned if I'll ever get all defensive over some numbskull/nimrod/dickweed /doing-a-Fargo-movie-accent idiot from anywhere belittling North Dakota. The only backward thing is getting all whipped up over this sort of garbage; you kinda need to be comfortable with who you are.

Frisco Dukes
12-01-2011, 04:40 PM
talking about microsoft outsourcing their computer manufacturing to north dakota is akin to comparing nike's move to vietnam for shoe laborers. which, as you may have noticed over the years, is the butt of many a joke.

cheaper labor does not a better business environment make.

and yes, virginia has it's budgetary concerns, but somehow is consistently at the top of the rankings below. pretty sure they just grouped the dakota's together because they were indistinguishable.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/41666602

tony
12-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Why in the world does anyone bite on this kind of backward-ND crap? If you live here, you sort of know better. Besides, who the hell cares. I'll be damned if I'll ever get all defensive over some numbskull/nimrod/dickweed /doing-a-Fargo-movie-accent idiot from anywhere belittling North Dakota. The only backward thing is getting all whipped up over this sort of garbage; you kinda need to be comfortable with who you are.

Yeah, never understood why folks get defensive about living in North Dakota. If it was good enough for Teddy Roosevelt, then it's good enough for me. :)

Sure, I live in NYC (and points farther east) but we had our reasons. The only thing that made me pack up and leave North Dakota was astonishingly low wages and poor prospects for improving them - but that was a long time ago.

TransAmBison
12-01-2011, 04:46 PM

just because i believe the state of virginia is superior to north dakota and that the east coast is the best place to live doesn't mean i want to spend my entire life in one state or, hell, even on one coast.

no better place to spend your 20's as an upwardly mobile single guy than nyc, but after 10 years it was time for the next adventure.

gotta get out and see the world boys and girls. how can you describe the ocean if you've never seen it?Is that the big city way of sayin' u prefer teh sausage?

BisoninNWMN
12-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Cannot wait for saturday.

Time to piss-pound this CAA team and shut their fans up here and on AGS.

Answer Guy
12-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Is that the big city way of sayin' u prefer teh sausage?

For god's sake, just ask him out if that's what you want.

You've always been bad at beating around the bush. :innocent:

Vitojr130
12-01-2011, 04:51 PM
talking about microsoft outsourcing their computer manufacturing to north dakota is akin to comparing nike's move to vietnam for shoe laborers. which, as you may have noticed over the years, is the butt of many a joke.

cheaper labor does not a better business environment make.

and yes, virginia has it's budgetary concerns, but somehow is consistently at the top of the rankings below. pretty sure they just grouped the dakota's together because they were indistinguishable.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/41666602

Sorry buddy, but it's not the manufacturing plant. It's an engineering campus. Maybe you should look into it more.

Also, North Dakota ranks much higher in the two most important ratings that you have given: Economy and Quality of Life.

gotts
12-01-2011, 04:52 PM

You've always been bad at beating around the bush. :innocent:

One would think that "beatin' around the bush" wouldn't be consistent with a sausage chaser...

TransAmBison
12-01-2011, 04:55 PM

You've always been bad at beating around the bush. :innocent:I thought I would set him up with you...

TILIS-BisonFan
12-01-2011, 04:56 PM

Regarding the bold. Research the oil field here. That is globally more important than anything to come out of Virginia in the last 100 years.

Regarding the underline. While you have beaches many ND families have separate summer homes on the lakes. They spend the summers with their families. Beach season is not much longer there than it is here.

North Dakota is a different lifestyle. Much slower, more agricultural based, and more friendly and family oriented. Much of the things we like in Fargo you cant get in Virginia thats why we live here. That being said I hope you come up go tailgating, eat too many rummy bears, pass out and freeze your ass off while we crack a beer in your honor and beat the shit out of James Madison.

tony
12-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Regarding the bold. Research the oil field here. That is globally more important than anything to come out of Virginia in the last 100 years.

Well, Virginia has 20 Fortune 500 companies and is beautiful and all that. I don't need to knock Virginia to appreciate North Dakota.

As for North Dakota, I think that the ag products are still much more important than oil.

semobison
12-01-2011, 05:27 PM

This^^^^^^^++++++!!!!

Frisco Dukes
12-01-2011, 05:49 PM
you guys are excellent at cherry picking stats. in this discussion you're speaking for the greater fargo area i'd imagine. i'm originally from northern virginia. as you can see, we do - and have consistently done - better than alright there;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highest-income_counties_in_the_United_States

i could care less about some bumblefck southwest corner of the state of virginia just as i'm sure most of you could care less about watford city.

i'd put the investment AOL/internet companies made in northern virginia in the early to mid 90's to enrich the capabilities of our national internet infrastructure and information superhighway up against a fossil fuel as positive developments over the past 100 years. love the arbitrary 100 year cutoff btw, discussion of virginia's place in our national narrative obviously speaks for itself. we'll leave those discussions for another time.

ah, gay jokes. surprised it took until the 4th page of the thread. because if i'm not married at 22 to my middle school sweetheart and haven't had the pleasure of enjoying carnal knowledge of our pet goat on a frigid north dakota night, i must be gay, right?

TransAmBison
12-01-2011, 05:52 PM
you guys are excellent at cherry picking stats. in this discussion you're speaking for the greater fargo area i'd imagine. i'm originally from northern virginia. as you can see, we do - and have consistently done - better than alright there;

i could care less about some bumblefck southwest corner of the state of virginia just as i'm sure most of you could care less about watford city.

i'd put the investment AOL/internet companies made in northern virginia in the early to mid 90's to enrich the capabilities of our national internet infrastructure and information superhighway up against a fossil fuel as positive developments over the past 100 years. love the arbitrary 100 year cutoff btw, discussion of virginia's place in our national narrative obviously speaks for itself. we'll leave those discussions for another time.

ah, gay jokes. surprised it took until the 4th page of the thread. because if i'm not married at 22 to my middle school sweetheart and haven't had the pleasure of enjoying carnal knowledge of our pet goat on a frigid north dakota night, i must be gay, right?Actually, you are gay because you do you male cousin up teh a##.

aces1180
12-01-2011, 05:56 PM

ah, gay jokes. surprised it took until the 4th page of the thread. because if i'm not married at 22 to my middle school sweetheart and haven't had the pleasure of enjoying carnal knowledge of our pet goat on a frigid north dakota night, i must be gay, right?

I'm just getting the chance to respond to this thread, as I just got 28K dial-up Internet through a free AOL CD-ROM last week...My wife has been really hogging the landline, so getting a connection has been next to impossible.

I'm glad you like Virginia. I like ND/MN.

We might even be getting something called the MTV next week...I heard they play music videos. Also, I look forward to watching a program called SportsCenter on another new channel we are getting, called ESPN. Do they have that in Virginia?

Did you know I am getting a raise next week at my job as a blacksmith? It's going from $.50/hour to $.55. I think we'll even be able to afford indoor plumbing to go along with our new Internet and cable television acquisitions.

Have a great day and praise Jesus!

aces1180
12-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Actually, you are gay because you do you male cousin up teh a##.

I thought it was because he was from San Francisco, CA.

bri-dog
12-01-2011, 05:57 PM
It's only 340 miles from Fargo to the nearest Beach...

http://pics2.city-data.com/city/maps4/frs5458.png

Although there are hundreds of beaches near Fargo. And personally, I'd rather hang out at a lake than an ocean.

JMU_71
12-01-2011, 06:02 PM

Well, if its 3 hrs from MSP and you are talking about a summer Sunday or the Sunday after Thanksgiving then you would certainly be correct!

KilldeerBison
12-01-2011, 06:02 PM

ah, gay jokes. surprised it took until the 4th page of the thread. because if i'm not married at 22 to my middle school sweetheart and haven't had the pleasure of enjoying carnal knowledge of our pet goat on a frigid north dakota night, i must be gay, right? I care about Watford City. Are you comming to the game this weekend? Do we need to lock up our goats? ( Answerguy: cue the UND Amber allert system!) Afterall, the ND nights have become more frigid as of late..:facepalm2:

aces1180
12-01-2011, 06:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc85E_FA3kQ

tony
12-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Hey, I like all parts of North Dakota, even Watford City! (I keed, I keed.)

I've got nothing against Virginia. Not too fond of pretentious douchebags though because, hey, that's my schtick. :)

TILIS-BisonFan
12-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Well, Virginia has 20 Fortune 500 companies and is beautiful and all that. I don't need to knock Virginia to appreciate North Dakota.

As for North Dakota, I think that the ag products are still much more important than oil.

In no way am I knocking Virginia and regarding the ag I would as well but I didnt think he would understand

you sound like your opinion of north dakotans

bisonaudit
12-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Is there a Goodwin's Law of Homophobia?

Seriously, that crap is just embarrassing.

BadlandsBison
12-01-2011, 06:06 PM

I've got nothing against Virginia. Not too fond of pretentious douchebags though. :)

My policy on traveling through Watford is don't flush

Vitojr130
12-01-2011, 06:06 PM

I've got nothing against Virginia. Not too fond of pretentious douchebags though because, hey, that's my schtick. :)

I was just out in Watford City. The towns a dump now thanks to the oil companies :/

BisoninNWMN
12-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Actually, you are gay because you do you male cousin up teh a##.

Didn't they film "Deliverance" in Virginia....or Tennessee....ahh...doesn't matter......still the same....

Vitojr130
12-01-2011, 06:12 PM

I care about Watford City because my girlfriend and her family is from there...

SDbison
12-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Wow, who is the ignorant person here? Just because you enjoy living on the coast elbow to asshole with millions of others doesn't mean you are superior. People are well educated in the midwest and a much higher percentage can actually identify the states on a map of the US. As for living standards hope you enjoy the crime, pollution and concrete jungle on either the East or West coast. I am a engineering project manager and while I work in the city I live on 40 acres in the country 10 miles from town with hundreds of trees, native grasses and creek running through it. What do you own, I mean likely rent.........a few hundred square foot apartment?

aces1180
12-01-2011, 06:13 PM
Is there a Goodwin's Law of Homophobia?

Seriously, that crap is just embarrassing.

You seem mad, bro...

Frisco Dukes
12-01-2011, 06:20 PM
unfortunately can't make the game, headed to vegas for the wknd. will be throwing some of my hard earned cash on the dukes and the rest on champagne and t!tties.

who am i kidding, nothing difficult about it, sht comes easy to me.

although i did research flights and it's damn near impossible to get to fargo from anywhere other than.....10 miles outside of fargo. or, as we've previously established, minneapolis.

Fightin' Bison
12-01-2011, 06:25 PM

Because Minneapolis is off the beaten path. Being 3 hours from Minneapolis is still 3 hours from nowhere. I know that's shocking to a lot of people who think Minneapolis is big time. . . . Being isolated is one of the best things that ND has going for it.

JMU_71
12-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Didn't they film "Deliverance" in Virginia....or Tennessee....ahh...doesn't matter......still the same....

It was actually filmed in North Georgia.

Look I'm sure living in North Dakota has its perks if it didn't no one would live there. Besides y'all have that big cow! I'm from North Carolina and now live in what many refer to as Northern Virginia. The traffic sucks and housing is incredibly expensive but living close to Washington certainly has it perks.

Why anyone would want to live in San Francisco is beyond me, but I guess he has his reasons.

BTW, I hope you get the Keystone Pipeline and you start developing the natural resources that North Dakota has been blessed with; we ALL need it! If the absentee Pres. in the White House and the Dems in Congress would get out of the way, Virginia would be able to tap one of the largest reserves of off shore oil and naturtal gas in the world. But, no, we have to give money to bankrupt solar companies that gave big to `Bama. Okay, I'm off my soapbox now. Let's go play this game damnit! Is it Saturday yet?!!

aces1180
12-01-2011, 06:27 PM

Look I'm sure living in North Dakota has its perks if it didn't no one would live there. Besides y'all have that big cow! I'm from North Carolina and now live in what many refer to as Northern Virginia. The traffic sucks and housing is incredibly expensive but living close to Washington certainly has it perks.

Why anyone would want to live in San Francisco is beyond me, but I guess he has his reasons.

BTW, I hope you get the Keystone Pipeline and you start developing the natural resources that North Dakota has been blessed with; we ALL need it! If the absentee Pres. in the White House and the Dems in Congress would get out of the way, Virginia would be able to tap one of the largest reserves of off shore oil and naturtal gas in the world. But, no, we have to give money to bankrupt solar companies that gave big to `Bama. Okay, I'm off my soapbox now. Let's go play this game damnit! Is it Saturday yet?!!

Haha...I work for a power company whose main source of energy comes from coal...You are preaching to the choir.

gotts
12-01-2011, 06:27 PM
unfortunately can't make the game, headed to vegas for the wknd. will be throwing some of my hard earned cash on the dukes and the rest on champagne and t!tties.

although i did research flights and it's damn near impossible to get to fargo from anywhere other than.....10 miles outside of fargo. or, as we've previously established, minneapolis.

http://mrkpop.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/butthead-butt-head.jpg

Heh heh

Hey Beavis, that Frisco Dukes guy spelled "douche" D-U-K-E-S

bisonaudit
12-01-2011, 06:28 PM

No Politics please.

344Johnson
12-01-2011, 06:34 PM
No Politics please.

Eh, he raised a good point. I think both sides can agree it was dumb to give to solar companies that aren't financially responsible....and he wants us to use our natural resources. I dig it.

BlueBisonRock
12-01-2011, 06:35 PM
No Politics please.

I am reading his post as Congress rather than simply pointing at a party and the prez. This changes the political mindset from partisan to environmental. You do have to recognize the futility of money intended to legitimize a green industry getting pissed away regardless of how the money got there.

Better?

heffray
12-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Can't we all just be respectful to eachother and be glad that we're not from Wyoming?

Oops, sorry, @WYOBISONMAN

tony
12-01-2011, 06:38 PM

Your life sounds very exciting.

I've lived in NYC, Amsterdam, and London* - getting to Fargo from any of those places is a quicker trip than getting to San Francisco.

* that's how you be pretentious, bitch.** :)

BTW, Vegas? Seriously? I used to think that LA was teh plastic asshole of teh world. Then I went to Vegas.

** er, except that I really have nothing to add to that to make it sound cool.

HerdBot
12-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Somebody once told me there is a half million people within a 150-175 mile radius of Fargo. That's hardly isolated. A 250 mile radius covers Winnipeg, Minneapolis, Sioux Falls, and Bismark and hits western Wisconsin. You can get to most of those areas in 3 hours. We're in the middle of 2 large interstates. Our main recruiting areas are ND, SD, and MN. That's almost 7 million people and the best part is we can offer in state tuition to all 3 states. Makes the money go further. And as far as competition goes, there is only 1 FBS school in the 3 states. Call it what you want. We're not isolated. We're a booming metro area with a great economy and one of the best places in the country to live. No other place I'd rather be.

aces1180
12-01-2011, 06:40 PM

I've lived in NYC, Amsterdam, and London* - getting to Fargo from any of those places is a quicker trip than getting to San Francisco.

* that's how you be pretentious, bitch. :)

BTW, Vegas? Seriously? I used to think that LA was teh plastic asshole of teh world. Then I went to Vegas.

Now that just makes me feel lame...I have barely been out of the country and surely not away from North America! I'd love to visit all six of the places you just mentioned.

TAILG8R
12-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Getting to Fargo is not very difficult since it is basically the center of North America. Almost every private plane that flies across the country either East/West or North South stops in Fargo.

HerdBot
12-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Because Minneapolis is off the beaten path. Being 3 hours from Minneapolis is still 3 hours from nowhere. I know that's shocking to a lot of people who think Minneapolis is big time. . . . Being isolated is one of the best things that ND has going for it.

Minneapolis is the 15th largest metro area in the United States. The Twins, Vikings, Wild, and Wolves draw heavily from Fargo and western Minnesota. Hardy small time. What is it so cool to be near Los Angeles? Bigger isn't always better.

bisonaudit
12-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Ummm... "absentee President and Dems in congress get out of the way" is not pointing at congress "rather than simply pointing at a party and the prez." It's exactly the opposite of that.

The Keystone pipeline already exists. It doesn't do anything to service ND's natural resources and the extension Keystone XL won't either. ND does make some nice tax revenue off the fact that it runs through the state though.

I don't have to recognize the futility of "pissing away money" on green industry. The economics of fossil fuels only work because the market fails to capture all the actual costs of producing energy that way. To the extent that the political will doesn't exist to actually do,that, subsidizing alternatives is a viable policy option. Even Bush 43 thought so.

Vitojr130
12-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Minneapolis is the 15th largest metro area in the United States. The Twins, Vikings, Wild, and Wolves draw heavily from Fargo and western Minnesota. Hardy small time. What is it so cool to be near Los Angeles? Bigger isn't always better.

Aren't the Timberwolves supposed to have a game in the Fargodome coming up in a few weeks?

HerdBot
12-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Aren't the Timberwolves supposed to have a game in the Fargodome coming up in a few weeks?

WAS... i think the lockout killed it.

Vitojr130
12-01-2011, 06:49 PM
WAS... i think the lockout killed it.

Lockout-smockout. Nuck the FBA! I could care less about major league basketball.

56BISON73
12-01-2011, 06:49 PM

You make some very good points. It all comes down to "how do you want to live---quality of life" Everyone has a different interpretation of whats important to them. I have lived in Milwaukee, Mpls, San Diego, Oakland Ca, Small town Oregon, WI. and AR.
I prefer small town or country living. I dont care for grid lock no matter what the city has to offer. If I have a burning desire to see something in the big city I can drive there and then get the hell out. But to live like that? No way.

tony
12-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Now that just makes me feel lame...I have barely been out of the country and surely not away from North America! I'd love to visit all six of the places you just mentioned.

Meh, some people are cool wherever they are (like Bison fans) and some people are lame no matter where they are (like me.)

I didn't get a passport until I was 35 so I think you've got time - if you want to get to those places, you will, but the best life experiences almost never involve "big name" places. /waxingphilosophical

Tatanka
12-01-2011, 06:52 PM
because if i'm not married at 22 to my middle school sweetheart and haven't had the pleasure of enjoying carnal knowledge of our pet goat on a frigid north dakota night, i must be gay, right?

No, all that means is you're not a UND fan.

56BISON73
12-01-2011, 06:52 PM

gotta get out and see the world boys and girls. how can you describe the ocean if you've never seen it?

Just because one lives in Fargo or the upper midwest doesnt mean they havent seen the ocean. After awhile its just an ocean. The novelty wears out pretty fast.

56BISON73
12-01-2011, 06:54 PM

Correct. The thing Iam still wondering is what the hell does all of that shit have to do with football?

CAS4127
12-01-2011, 06:54 PM

@ Bold: Let's see, you move from what dickhead otherwise crowns the world jewel that is Virginia to San Fran . . . . . hmmmmm? Also, he had to "out"right attempt to brag about supposedly banging some Canadian chick while in Montana. I will let you do the math, but I am guessing he may have been out there for the first showing of Brokeback Mt.

Also, concerning his earlier comment that we here in Nodak "shoot stuff of our porches" or something close to that effect--well, I'd rather shoot stuff off my poarch than GET SHOT OFF MY PORCH . . . . . . . . but that's just me of course.:biggrin:

HerdBot
12-01-2011, 06:55 PM
You make some very good points. It all comes down to "how do you want to live---quality of life" Everyone has a different interpretation of whats important to them. I have lived in Milwaukee, Mpls, San Diego, Oakland Ca, Small town Oregon, WI. and AR.
I prefer small town or country living. I dont care for grid lock no matter what the city has to offer. If I have a burning desire to see something in the big city I can drive there and then get the hell out. But to live like that? No way.

It's funny you say that. When I was done with school I moved to Denver. I thought it would be so cool with all the concerts and mountains but after living there for a year I realized I hadn't done any of the things they have to offer. Caught up in everyday life. Rent was expensive. Shitty neighborhood. So I moved back home. Fargo is great because it has a small town feel but has some good entertainment, bars, concerts, and places to eat. Bigger cities dont' have much more to offer unless your 18 and wanna go clubbing like the Jersey Shore kids every night of the week. Plus my house is ten times nicer for less.

56BISON73
12-01-2011, 06:59 PM
I care about Watford City. Are you comming to the game this weekend? Do we need to lock up our goats? ( Answerguy: cue the UND Amber allert system!) Afterall, the ND nights have become more frigid as of late..:facepalm2:

That right there is funny!!!

JMU_71
12-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Even Bush 42 thought so.

Wouldn't that be Clinton?
Hey, I'm an all the of above guy. Just give me the cheapest energy to get the economy moving. If its profitable to find new sources of energy the market will take care of that. We don't need to subsidize to artificially prop up industries that will not make it on their own.

Sorry, i was wrong about the Keystone Pipeline, but I thought by it running from Alberta to Texas it would run through the Dakotas. If so, I thought it would provide another source of jobs to an economy that seems to be running pretty well up there.

Done.... NOW. No mas. Fin. The End. Back to talking about the game...

bisonaudit
12-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Sorry, i was wrong about the Keystone Pipeline, but I thought by it running from Alberta to Texas it would run through the Dakotas. If so, I thought it would provide another source of jobs to an economy that seems to be running pretty well up there.

Already complete, moving oil through ND and benefiting the economy here. Just not moving ND oil. Moving Canadian oil to US refineries, markets and ports.

JMU_71
12-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Already complete, moving oil through ND and benefiting the economy here. Just not moving ND oil. Moving Canadian oil to US refineries, markets and ports.

Right, but helps the economy. That was my point. We're in agreement. Now, just get busy fracking that natural gas and pullin out that black stuff.

BlueBisonRock
12-01-2011, 07:18 PM
Ummm... "absentee President and Dems in congress get out of the way" is not pointing at congress "rather than simply pointing at a party and the prez." It's exactly the opposite of that.

The Keystone pipeline already exists. It doesn't do anything to service ND's natural resources and the extension Keystone XL won't either. ND does make some nice tax revenue off the fact that it runs through the state though.

I don't have to recognize the futility of "pissing away money" on green industry. The economics of fossil fuels only work because the market fails to capture all the actual costs of producing energy that way. To the extent that the political will doesn't exist to actually do that subsidising alternatives is a viable policy option. Even Bush 42 thought so.

Sorry Audit, you missed the points. First, I chose to read the statement as 'congress' rather than accepting his statement about the Prez and the Dems. I would rather focus on the actual point being made rather than being distracted by the political clutter. It is my assertion that both parties are to blame for the existing energy policy.

My pissing away money comment is not focused on policy, it is focused on the distribution of those funds to a business entity that was not ready to fulfill the commitments expected. Solyndra and the folks routing the funds to Solyndra had a known cost problem that was either not understood or disclosed.
This article from Forbes does a fair job of describing the issue. Fundamentally, routing money intended to drive 'green to Solyndra failed to meet the stated policy objective. BTW, I support a research focus on establishing new viable energy sources as I agree with your statement regarding our dependence on fossil fuels (you might just find my name on alternative energy reasearch from the days before I made my move to the nasty and money focused corporate world). Unfortunately and for whatever reasons, fossil fuels remain the major source of energy in our energy dependent world.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2011/09/17/solyndra-yes-it-was-possible-to-see-this-failure-coming/

Suprisingly, we agree on these points but show this agreement in different ways.

Now, back to our sposored program.

BTW, am attempting to teach the fundamentals behind statistics to CAS. Getting a better handle on stats might just help him manage his betting losses to AG. Not to mention the impact of those losses on the BV community.

bisonaudit
12-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Actually there are some interesting parallels in the state politics of VA and ND. The scale is obviously different but just and ND has the whole Imperial Cass thing VA has a similar divide between Northern Virginia (suburban and ex-urban Washington, DC) and everybody else.

unbison
12-01-2011, 08:33 PM
Why are people really arguing about this Fargo is a little isolated is why a lot of us live here if we were looking for city action we would live in one

DirtyDukes
12-01-2011, 08:37 PM
The funny thing is, I was seriously considering moving to ND like a week ago after I heard about the salaries the oil companies are paying people. As a mid 20s guy I'd love to catch a big paycheck for a while and start a family. But, I heard there's no housing/rooming.

Bison bison
12-01-2011, 08:39 PM
The housing is coming quick dirtydukes.

I'd wait until the spring. People are going to freeze to death in their cars this winter.

BlueBisonRock
12-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Why are people really arguing about this Fargo is a little isolated is why a lot of us live here if we were looking for city action we would live in one

Some are. Others who have experienced the thrill of the big cities are choosing to keep quiet rather than risk an explosion in population. After all, Fourty below keeps the riff raff out.

And if memory serves, it also keeps Indy in Indy.

Bison"FANatic"
12-01-2011, 08:40 PM
The funny thing is, I was seriously considering moving to ND like a week ago after I heard about the salaries the oil companies are paying people. As a mid 20s guy I'd love to catch a big paycheck for a while and start a family. But, I heard there's no housing/rooming.

You don't need a house if you work for some of the oil companies as they have mancamps that they will put you in. If you are willing to work your ass off with a lot of hard work and very long hours in some of the cold conditions all while living with a bunch of guys in a make shift dorm there is a lot of money to be made.

DirtyDukes
12-01-2011, 08:41 PM
You don't need a house if you work for some of the oil companies as they have mancamps that they will put you in. If you are willing to work your ass off with a lot of hard work and very long hours in some of the cold conditions all while living with a bunch of guys in a make shift dorm there is a lot of money to be made.

How far is it from Fargo?

Bison"FANatic"
12-01-2011, 08:44 PM
To far 6 to 8 hours or about 400 miles

CAS4127
12-01-2011, 08:44 PM

That "mancamp" thingy peaked your interest, didn't it!!!:biggrin:

300 miles, give or take about 50 depending on how far west you want to go. I think you can see Brokeback Mt. from there!!!

Vitojr130
12-01-2011, 08:47 PM

I was just out in the midst of it all in Watford City last week. It's a solid 6 hour drive to Fargo if you go slightly above the speed limit (80mph) and stop in Bismarck for gas. However, even most of the mancamps are filled to the brink. My girlfriends sister lives in one with her boyfriend and they are in a camper, but the entire camper is no bigger than the standard living room in a house and they are charging $1400 a month for rent. Eh, he pulls in $85,000 a year being a welders assistant though... kinda sorta jealous that someone who didn't even graduate high school is making more than I am. Whatever, to each his own.

pwbnd
12-01-2011, 08:55 PM

It would appear that you've fallen victim to the assumption that just because we live or once lived in Fargo, ND that we've never been anywhere else. It's happened before by guests on this board and it'll likely happen again. As others have pointed out in recent posts, your assumption was incorrect.

I'm curious to know if you've ever spent any time in our state?

I'm sure there are others who have lived in far more exotic locations than I, but in the past 12 years, I have lived in Fargo, ND, Portland, OR, Washington, D.C./Fairfax Co. VA, and Little Rock, AR. Each place has is positives and negatives.

I suppose blanket statements like VA is superior to ND or vice versa make good fodder for message boards, but when it all comes down to it, it's just one person's opinion.

I know nobody asked, but here's my opinion when comparing VA to ND (specifically NOVA)...I chose ND because I prefer my 10 minute commute here to my 65 minute commute in D.C./VA. I prefer some snow and cold weather during a ND winter to the sweat your face off heat/humidity and code red air quality days during a D.C./VA summer. I prefer spending my weekends in the summer at a small lake in northern MN instead of fighting traffic on the way to and from the outer banks of NC or Ocean City, MD. I prefer low crime rates, a low cost of living, and being able to be a season ticket holder for NDSU football and basketball.

Again, each place I've lived has had pros and cons and inthe end, it's all about what's important to you.

tony
12-01-2011, 09:05 PM

You could check Job Service of North Dakota and only consider jobs that include housing - that's the only way I'd do it. http://www.jobsnd.com/

BSKB 24
12-01-2011, 09:46 PM
A few years ago, my wife and I drove 12,000 miles in 35 days and toured the upper Northwest quadrant of the U.S. We left Virginia and went up through Cleveland to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, across Wisconsin all the way to Seattle. We did not hit North Dakota, but if it is similar to South Dakota, I would like it. The Black Hills area of S.D. is one of the most beautiful areas in our great country. The natural prairie grasses and rolling terrain is drop dead gorgeous. Seeing the Buffalo roam takes you back in time. I felt like I was back in "Dancing with the Wolves." Everyone always wants to travel to Europe when there is so much to see in this country.

IndyBison
12-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Some are. Others who have experienced the thrill of the big cities are choosing to keep quiet rather than risk an explosion in population. After all, Fourty below keeps the riff raff out.

And if memory serves, it also keeps Indy in Indy.
Yup. I'm starting to not like the winters in Indy and they are much more mild. We had lows in the 20s last night and I didn't like it! My only comment on this sad thread is that Fargo is isolated. But the people there don't mind so who cares? It's a great city and great place to go to school.

jimmyptubas
12-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Actually there are some interesting parallels in the state politics of VA and ND. The scale is obviously different but just and ND has the whole Imperial Cass thing VA has a similar divide between Northern Virginia (suburban and ex-urban Washington, DC) and everybody else.

Interesting fact about Virginia: any town that has more than X people is automatically independent from the county that it occupies. 39 cities in the state that operate like this; 3 in the rest of the country!

:offtopic:

ndsubison1
12-01-2011, 11:22 PM

sounds like you have been to fargo before. you are also very humble

ndsubison1
12-01-2011, 11:36 PM

* that's how you be pretentious, bitch.** :)

** er, except that I really have nothing to add to that to make it sound cool.

a 22 year old living in NYC then San Fransisco then going to Vegas this weekend. frisco dukes = rob kardashian

NH/JMU Saxkow
12-01-2011, 11:43 PM

Thank you to those that are responding to this without getting defensive. North Dakota IS isolated compared to many other places. JMU's city of Harrisonburg is in the middle of nowhere, too, and trust me, we've heard all of the rural jokes before when we deal with other Virginia college sports fans. Fargo's population density is even less than Harrisonburg's.

But some of you need to stop acting like that is a bad thing! Being "isolated" is not an insult - especially since, as some people pointed out, it was coming from our West Texan (a very rural area) of a coach. I know would much rather live around Fargo than I would in the Northern Virginia area around Fairfax. The DC-area is an uptight zoo, packed with overly competitive yuppies and a suburban sprawl that is disgusting. But when you start pretending that North Dakota is just as cosmopolitan as the northeast corridor, you just start sounding stupid.

HerdBot
12-01-2011, 11:47 PM
Then why does your location say San Francisco if Virginia is the Gods gift to this great earth?????

if he's a single gay man, san Francisco is a better fit than Fargo. I concede.

Facts
12-01-2011, 11:48 PM
Thank you to those that are responding to this without getting defensive. North Dakota IS isolated compared to many other places. JMU's city of Harrisonburg is in the middle of nowhere, too, and trust me, we've heard all of the rural jokes before when we deal with other Virginia college sports fans. Fargo's population density is even less than Harrisonburg's.

But some of you need to stop acting like that is a bad thing! Being "isolated" is not an insult - especially since, as some people pointed out, it was coming from our West Texan (a very rural area) of a coach. I know would much rather live around Fargo than I would in the Northern Virginia area around Fairfax. The DC-area is an uptight zoo, packed with overly competitive yuppies and a suburban sprawl that is disgusting. But when you start pretending that North Dakota is just as cosmopolitan as the northeast corridor, you just start sounding stupid.

Reps +++.
By the way how may sacs does your cow have? cause in ND, ours have zero.

BSKB 24
12-01-2011, 11:54 PM
Interesting fact about Virginia: any town that has more than X people is automatically independent from the county that it occupies. 39 cities in the state that operate like this; 3 in the rest of the country!

:offtopic:

Doesn't have anything to do with population. Towns are within the boundaries of counties and residents pay town and county taxes. Cities are Independent and are not in counties. Somewhat unique to Virginia.

4mcruenomore
12-02-2011, 12:32 AM
I like being isolated, Dickinson is growing too fast right now. I'd rather live here than a metro area.

PaBizon
12-02-2011, 12:32 AM
Moved from a meto area to Fargo for a job promotion with every intention of making it a layover stop to the next job. That was eleven years ago. Since that time I've had a few chances to leave for other positions but I turned them down. I truley enjoy living here and on the weekends driving 50 minutes to my lake cabin in NW Minnesota (which is by far the longest commute I take). Yes it's extremeley cold in ND in the winter but it's also extremeley hot, humid, crime ridden, conjested etc... in other places in this country. To me the biggest difference here is the quality of the people that live here. Hardy, hard working, honest and the majority are just palin nice people. Not a metro area (especially out east) that you can say that about. I for one consider it a hidden gem and hope it stays that way.

Bison_since_Birth
12-02-2011, 01:13 AM
PaBizon, agreed!

HerdBot
12-02-2011, 01:58 AM

Not sure if your talking about the same Fargo. The metro has nearly a quarter million and it's anything but a quiet lifestyle. Safe? Yes. Great quality of life? yes. But that does not mean quiet. Infact, there is quite a bit to do here. We're right in lakes counry. Skiing, swimming, beaches, jet skiing, hunting, and fishing. Many own lake property that's a half our drive. Entertainment? One of the top hundred largest concert promoters in the world is based out of Fago and we have facilities. A 20,000 seat dome has hosted huge concerts like the Rolling Stones. We have a 4,000 seat Civic Center. A 2500 seat facility called the Hub. The Bluestem Center of the Arts in Moorhead. The Soo Pass Ranch in Detroit Lakes hosts some of the largest music fests in the world. We have many smaller bars with bands. Arts? I can't stand the artsy crowd but we have plenty to do. Everything from art museums to symphonies to theatre and we have plenty of those annoying "diverse" coffee houses and night clubs. The cold winters? yes. But some of us enjoy outdoor sports and activities like ice fishing, snow mobiling, and skiing. I take great offense to your comments. We have a huge economy, and the quality of living is amongst the best in the world. You can buy a huge 3000 square foot house for $1500 a month. In DC, that would buy you a shack with crack dealers outside. We have clean air, good schools, and overall some good people. You can keep DC and one of the highest murder rates in the world. Not sure why anyone would think that's a perk. We're actually a very young community with nearly 25,000 college students. I don't apologize for living here and there is no other place I would rather be.

RadBison
12-02-2011, 03:03 AM
Everyone needs to settle down, I love Minnesota but work with people all over the US. Some can't understand why I still live here (I can do my job from anyplace) but its what I like for my own reasons, similar to why they choose to live in Denver, NYC, LA, San Fran or New England. I like being able to hop a plane and be anywhere in the 48 continuous states w/in about 3 hours, try that from either coast. I love winter almost as I do summer (other than football I hate fall and spring isn't for me either) but the outdoors and the change of seasons are why I stay. I don't mind people thinking of MN (or ND) as "fly-over" country as that just means they're less likely to move here and make our area less of what I like about it.

To each his own, I'm happy the people on the coasts don't want to move here, can you imagine how messed up our little slice of heaven would be?

Back on topic: Bison by 2 (touchdowns) on Saturday. We may be isolated but we know how to play football!:duel:

Ginsbach
12-02-2011, 03:08 AM
All I'm going to add to this is that I've been all over the world, but I'm proud to say I came from southeastern North Dakota.

MNLonghorn10
12-02-2011, 03:12 AM
Everyone needs to settle down, I love Minnesota but work with people all over the US. Some can't understand why I still live here (I can do my job from anyplace) but its what I like for my own reasons, similar to why they choose to live in Denver, NYC, LA, San Fran or New England. I like being able to hop a plane and be anywhere in the 48 continuous states w/in about 3 hours, try that from either coast. I love winter almost as I do summer (other than football I hate fall and spring isn't for me either) but the outdoors and the change of seasons are why I stay. I don't mind people thinking of MN (or ND) as "fly-over" country as that just means they're less likely to move here and make our area less of what I like about it.

To each his own, I'm happy the people on the coasts don't want to move here, can you imagine how messed up our little slice of heaven would be?

Back on topic: Bison by 2 (touchdowns) on Saturday. We may be isolated but we know how to play football!:duel:
i havent been to western north dakota in a while, thank god..but im hearin sooner or later thats gonna be jam packed with people from all over.

4mcruenomore
12-02-2011, 03:22 AM
i havent been to western north dakota in a while, thank god..but im hearin sooner or later thats gonna be jam packed with people from all over.

I guess I have to bring my UFC moves to the west lot on saturday?

TheBisonator
12-02-2011, 03:30 AM
I lived in Fargo from birth to 1992, then from 2003 to 2010. I've been living in Toronto (pop. 5.8 million) for about a year now. I HATE IT HERE. If there was an artistic profession of some kind that was hiring in Fargo (and was willing to hire me), I'd move back in a second.

4mcruenomore
12-02-2011, 03:32 AM
I lived in Fargo from birth to 1992, then from 2003 to 2010. I've been living in Toronto (pop. 5.8 million) for about a year now. I HATE IT HERE. If there was an artistic profession of some kind that was hiring in Fargo (and was willing to hire me), I'd move back in a second.

Dude, you are just pissed because the CFL season is over with.

bisonpride4ever
12-02-2011, 03:36 AM
If my wife didn't work for the Mayo Clinic, I'd move back to Fargo in a heartbeat. I was just there this past weekend and as soon as I hit the area, I knew things were going to be ok during my stay.

TheBisonator
12-02-2011, 03:37 AM
Dude, you are just pissed because the CFL season is over with.

Bombers pissed it down their leg in Le Coupe Grey, but I got over it...:)

4mcruenomore
12-02-2011, 03:40 AM
Bombers pissed it down their leg in Le Coupe Grey, but I got over it...:)

hahahaha, I KNEW IT!!!!!

skolbrother
12-02-2011, 04:08 AM
This thread is proof of what someone who is a friend of my family has said: Doug B:"geographic discrimination is the last acceptable form of discrimination."

Vitojr130
12-02-2011, 04:36 AM
Not sure if your talking about the same Fargo. The metro has nearly a quarter million and it's anything but a quiet lifestyle. Safe? Yes. Great quality of life? yes. But that does not mean quiet. Infact, there is quite a bit to do here. We're right in lakes counry. Skiing, swimming, beaches, jet skiing, hunting, and fishing. Many own lake property that's a half our drive. Entertainment? One of the top hundred largest concert promoters in the world is based out of Fargo and we have facilities. A 20,000 seat dome has hosted huge concerts like the Rolling Stones. We have a 4,000 seat Civic Center. A 2500 seat facility called the Hub. The Bluestem Center of the Arts in Moorhead. The Soo Pass Ranch in Detroit Lakes hosts some of the largest music fests in the world. We have many smaller bars with bands. Arts? I can't stand the artsy crowd but we have plenty to do. Everything from art museums to symphonies to theatre and we have plenty of those annoying "diverse" coffee houses and night clubs. The cold winters? yes. But some of us enjoy outdoor sports and activities like ice fishing, snow mobiling, and skiing. I take great offense to your comments. We have a huge economy, and the quality of living is amongst the best in the world. You can buy a huge 3000 square foot house for $1500 a month. In DC, that would buy you a shack with crack dealers outside. We have clean air, good schools, and overall some good people. You can keep DC and one of the highest murder rates in the world. Not sure why anyone would think that's a perk. We're actually a very young community with nearly 25,000 college students. I don't apologize for living here and there is no other place I would rather be.

Awww yeah! Fricken this^! 95,000 drunk country music fans attempting to watch the same show at the same time! Biggest outdoor country music festival in the world! I worked in Viking campground and lemmetellyou... Hahaha you know it was a good night when you stumble to your work bench at 6am and you count 6 naked woman laying against campers on your 50ft walk to work. Hahaha

HerdBot
12-02-2011, 04:42 AM
Awww yeah! Fricken this^! 95,000 drunk country music fans attempting to watch the same show at the same time! Biggest outdoor country music festival in the world! I worked in Viking campground and lemmetellyou... Hahaha you know it was a good night when you stumble to your work bench at 6am and you count 6 naked woman laying against campers on your 50ft walk to work. Hahaha

I hate country. It sucks. But you can't deny its popularity...considering its roots in Nashville is closer to your territory. 10,000 Lakes Festival was there. Now revived as High Plains Fest.

bulldog
12-02-2011, 05:38 AM
To each his own. I have lived all over the world. I haven't lived in the Dakotas but I have been through there several times. I can see why some people would love it. Wide open, clean air and water, booming economy, and a real sense of freedom. Virginia is beautiful to look at, but it has it's problems and plenty of them.

Anyway, I didn't mean to promote one locale over another. We all have a place we prefer to call home. I know I do. Aloha.

TransAmBison
12-02-2011, 10:57 AM
I lived in Fargo from birth to 1992, then from 2003 to 2010. I've been living in Toronto (pop. 5.8 million) for about a year now. I HATE IT HERE. If there was an artistic profession of some kind that was hiring in Fargo (and was willing to hire me), I'd move back in a second.When did you move to Toronto???????!!!!!!!!!!!????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MNLonghorn10
12-02-2011, 11:16 AM

ha.viking? us electrical rv having snobs come and party/trash your place, stumble back to sallie and pass out in our bed with air condition running.

/wefestsnob

IzzyFlexion
12-02-2011, 11:22 AM

When did you move to Toronto???????!!!!!!!!!!!????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And.............have you ever heard of this stuff that they call poutine?? :)

CaBisonFan
12-02-2011, 01:25 PM
And in the larger metro areas your typical lifestyle is to have a home...if you're lucky...and you pretty much stay there all the time...and rarely talk to your neighbors. Fishing & hunting access is extremely limited. Most things worth doing cost a small fortune. Most things that are fun are over-crowded. That's the definition of not being isolated...according to people like this coach.

KC Bison
12-02-2011, 03:11 PM
As someone who lived 9 years in Fargo 25 years ago, I have never forgotten Fargo. If I ever move back to the upper midwest, it would have to be Fargo. The last time we were there I hardly recognized the city as it had grown so much. I spent 5 years in Washington DC and most people in DC see any part of Virginia outside of the DC suburbs as uncivilized. It was interesting to talk to people in DC and tell them that my wife and I did far more cultural thing in Fargo than we did in DC. That was mainly because the cultural things were so much more affordable in Fargo. With 3 college's fine arts series to chose from, there were many options in the Fargo-Moorhead area. This is what happens when you marry a music major.

So its funny to see the JM crowd acting uppity when you know there is a 5-million metro area by them that considers them a bunch of tobacco spitt'n hayseeds. I don't agree with that accessment because the Shenandoah Valley is a wonderful area and the people we met some great people. I also see in their famous graduates that CJ Sapong is from James Madison who plays soccer for Sporting KC.

MAKBison
12-02-2011, 03:24 PM

DD it gets real cold here!!!!!

NOTE--Forty below keeps the riff raff out.

4mcruenomore
12-02-2011, 03:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3MxFXFmPRI&feature=related

Mickey_the_Bison_Hunter
12-02-2011, 03:41 PM
Forgive my ignorance on southern Canada, but after the Dukes end the Bison's season...what does everyone do up there for fun? Snowball fights? Igloos? After all, its kind of isolated up there...

4mcruenomore
12-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Forgive my ignorance on southern Canada, but after the Dukes end the Bison's season...what does everyone do up there for fun? Snowball fights? Igloos? After all, its kind of isolated up there...

I usually take my truck out into the country and shoot pistols.

westnodak93bison
12-02-2011, 03:51 PM

Drink beer and eat deer sausage dah!

aces1180
12-02-2011, 03:52 PM

Impregnate our wives.

runtheoption
12-02-2011, 04:04 PM

We generally stay inside, drink Schnapps, and make fun of both coasts for cancelling school and work when the temps hit 20 degrees with 2 inches of snow. We also take baths in all the free flowing oil found all across the state, and roll our own cigaretts with our $100 bills.

There is ice fishing, with the Norwegians make a killing catching tons and tons of ice. There is also the timeless addiction to making fun of the movie "Fargo", and how they chop up bodies in the wood chipper. Everyone here knows that the proper way to dispose of a body is to just leave it outside on the ice for the packs of timberwolves and polar bears to devour.

Farmers / ranchers spend a great deal of time with their livestock, making sure they keep moving so their feet / hooves do not freeze to the ground. The city folk set their alarms to go off every hour so they can start their cars up every hour for at least 5 mintues, so as to avoid the dreaded phenomenom known as "freeze up, eh".

We try over and over again every year to convince ourselves that lutefisk, fruitcake, and deep fried everything are delicacies. Have you ever had a Rocky Mountain Oyster? F**kin a, Bubba.

Hooking up a car hood to our 4 wheel drives, piling 5-15 people on it, and pulling it around like a sled at 40-60 mph is a favorite (this one we actually did many times back in high school).

BlueBisonRock
12-02-2011, 04:11 PM
And for that special occaision, we find some dweeb named Mickey (he'll eat anything) and have the good Rev. B0b introduce him to teh goats and teh tats.

TransAmBison
12-02-2011, 04:18 PM
And for that special occaision, we find some dweeb named Mickey (he'll eat anything) and have the good Rev. B0b introduce him to teh goats and teh tats.I have a feeling Mickey has already owned a goat once or twice.

Bison56
12-02-2011, 04:20 PM
I like to collect Moose nuggets you know.

DirtyDukes
12-02-2011, 04:36 PM
I usually take my truck out into the country and shoot pistols.

This sounds awesome.

4mcruenomore
12-02-2011, 04:38 PM
This sounds awesome.

Yes it is.

DirtyDukes
12-02-2011, 04:38 PM
Yes it is.

What kind of pistols ya got?

4mcruenomore
12-02-2011, 04:40 PM
What kind of pistols ya got?

Alot, .357 mag, .44 mag, .380, 9 mm....to name a few. I prefer revolvers, I like old west kind of stuff to collect, but semi-auto for carrying.

RowdyRabbit
12-02-2011, 04:53 PM
laughed as people unsuspectingly ingested bull testicles under cloak of "rocky mountain oysters,"

AHA! That's where you're WRONG!

I don't know anyone around here who doesn't know rocky mountain oysters are bull testicles. Knowing that makes them taste BETTER!

Wee like 'em...weee love 'em...hallelujah we're bull teste eatin' freaks!

No, I don't eat rocky mountain oysters.

DirtyDukes
12-02-2011, 04:56 PM
Alot, .357 mag, .44 mag, .380, 9 mm....to name a few. I prefer revolvers, I like old west kind of stuff to collect, but semi-auto for carrying.

I just inherited a M1911 from my Grandad that he carried in WW2 as a medic, i'm trying to get it cleaned/grips restored so I can actually shoot it, but people are suggesting it might damage the gun after all this time.

4mcruenomore
12-02-2011, 05:09 PM
I just inherited a M1911 from my Grandad that he carried in WW2 as a medic, i'm trying to get it cleaned/grips restored so I can actually shoot it, but people are suggesting it might damage the gun after all this time.

I would leave it just as it is imo.

Bison56
12-02-2011, 05:35 PM

I wouldnt suggest you do that.

56BISON73
12-02-2011, 08:46 PM

There is no excuse for you ignorance.

56BISON73
12-02-2011, 08:53 PM

Take it to a gunsmith and have him evaluate it before you do anything. Depending on condition it may have some value. The gunsmith will also make sure its safe to shoot. If its not he can recommend what it it will take to get it back in operating condition and the cost to do so. Those old 1911s have been around for along time and dont break easily.

Frisco Dukes
12-02-2011, 08:53 PM
so much for trying to stir the pot a little bit with some gross generalizations and stereotypical comments. i see a good natured friendly discussion hath broken out. guess i'll have to wait until next week to rile up towson fans.....all 3 of them.

gotta love this setup virgin america has. the wifi, ordering drinks from the tv screen at your seat, and the plethora of girls headed away on bachelorette parties just itching to make bad decisions. prob won't be checking in again unless something has gone terribly wrong in vegas, good luck to both teams, here's to an injury and controversy free game decided on the field.

4mcruenomore
12-02-2011, 08:57 PM
Take it to a gunsmith and have him evaluate it before you do anything. Depending on condition it may have some value. The gunsmith will also make sure its safe to shoot. If its not he can recommend what it it will take to get it back in operating condition and the cost to do so. Those old 1911s have been around for along time and dont break easily.

Very good recommendation! If it was mine, I would just treasure it the way it was, I wouldn't shoot it, I would just keep it as a treasure. Certainly, if you want to shoot the gun, have a professional take a look at it. If you want a nice 1911 to shoot, check out the new Ruger imo.

ndsubison1
12-02-2011, 08:57 PM

we migrate to nebraska via lewis and clark trail

Civil06
12-02-2011, 09:01 PM
so much for trying to stir the pot a little bit with some gross generalizations and stereotypical comments. i see a good natured friendly discussion hath broken out. guess i'll have to wait until next week to rile up towson fans.....all 3 of them.

gotta love this setup virgin america has. the wifi, ordering drinks from the tv screen at your seat, and the plethora of girls headed away on bachelorette parties just itching to make bad decisions. prob won't be checking in again unless something has gone terribly wrong in vegas, good luck to both teams, here's to an injury and controversy free game decided on the field.

I agree with you on Virgin airlines. I took VAustralia to New Zealand last year and it sure helped on a 15 hour plane ride to have about every multimedia entertainment option known to man, even in coach. I played battleship with my sister-in-law even though she was 10 rows behind me, watched movies before there were released on DVD in the states, and put together a playlist of all my favorite music - all while drinking complimentary red wine.

rutlandbison
12-02-2011, 09:01 PM
There will be no room for level headed posting on this board!!!

bri-dog
12-02-2011, 09:03 PM

Better watch out, you may end up with some itching of your own...:biggrin:

bisonhp330
12-02-2011, 09:34 PM
wow.......has bisonville really dropped so low the blog has digressed to the 'my daddy is better than your daddy' ?!?!?!? move this to the hall of shame label

seriously......city vs city:

TheBisonator
12-02-2011, 11:28 PM

At first I didn't know who was posting this, I was thinking, "Yeah, Bison fans are gonna have fun with the Towson fans next week." Then I realized it was teh JMU troll with teh hubris.

56BISON73
12-03-2011, 04:33 AM

yeah the hick crap doesnt work well when JMU sits pretty much in Hillbilly breeding grounds.

IzzyFlexion
12-03-2011, 12:23 PM
I got 100 bucks that says this Mickey dipshit one of the coward UNI trolls that is so ashamed of his Panthers affiliation that he's posing as a JMU guy.

KC Bison
12-04-2011, 11:07 PM
So, what will the Dukes be doing now that their season is over.

NWNDBison
12-04-2011, 11:20 PM
So, what will the Dukes be doing now that their season is over.

I think MM is quoted in the post-game interview as saying the 2012 season started 15 minutes ago. That would be how a successful coach thinks.

A1pigskin
12-04-2011, 11:41 PM
Who's isolated now???????????????????????

Bison"FANatic"
12-04-2011, 11:47 PM
I think MM is quoted in the post-game interview as saying the 2012 season started 15 minutes ago. That would be how a successful coach thinks.

He might want to spend some time and recruit that isolated area.

CAS4127
12-04-2011, 11:51 PM
May have been posted elsewhere, but he also said the FFD is THE toughest place to play in FCS!! Welcome to Fargo!!

NWNDBison
12-05-2011, 12:03 AM
He might want to spend some time and recruit that isolated area.

Hope not! We do well giving an opportunity to our "isolated kids."

JMU Recruiter: So, ND star athlete, we'd like you to come and play for one of the premiere teams in the CAA, best damn conference in the FCS.

ND Kid: You, know, I'd really like to, but I don't think you'd really give an isolated ND kid a chance. Maybe I'll stick with NDSU. And the best damn conference thing...wasn't that BEFORE you played NDSU?