PDA

View Full Version : Game preview from caazone

BisonAccountant44
11-29-2011, 04:39 AM
Haven't noticed this anywhere yet, so I thought I'd share.

http://www.caazone.com/2011/11/28/fcscaa-playoff-preview-dome-on-the-range-as-jmu-travels-to-nd-st/

duluthbison
11-29-2011, 04:44 AM
The game will be played the Fargo Dome, an all-purpose facility with the capacity of a basketball arena.

Basically, they are playing in a large gymnasium on a fast surface.

Not sure if they are ripping on the dome. One point he missed is this "gymnasium" will most likely be louder than the metrodome during the 91 world series win.

NDSU92
11-29-2011, 04:49 AM
Article lost all credibility when they reference our win over Iowa State

jimmyptubas
11-29-2011, 05:03 AM
Clearly this yahoo has never been to the FFD:fight:

NDSUBowler
11-29-2011, 05:16 AM
Article lost all credibility when they reference our win over Iowa State
LOL I stopped reading when I got to that...nice article!

BaillyBison
11-29-2011, 05:28 AM
Also the references the Bison as a team "with a great deal of success in the FCS playoffs." It will only be our second year in the FCS playoffs. NDSU has a record of 2-1, I wouldnt call that a great deal of success. This guy has no idea what he is talking about.

ndsubison1
11-29-2011, 05:54 AM
clearly the bison will not be able to handle the crazy speed of JMU

ndsubison1
11-29-2011, 05:56 AM
Not sure if they are ripping on the dome. One point he missed is this "gymnasium" will most likely be louder than the metrodome during the 91 world series win.

probably doing that to mock our attendance since JMU's stadium seats 25K

DjKyRo
11-29-2011, 05:56 AM
Not an inaccurate breakdown but my goodness were there sentence fragments.

jimmyptubas
11-29-2011, 06:15 AM
Not an inaccurate breakdown but my goodness were there sentence fragments.

There's this guy who writes for Bison Illustrated who could've done a much better job, you might know him?

Duke Dawg
11-29-2011, 01:35 PM
a lot of guys with the CAAZone are from schools who don't have football teams.....I suspect this guy may be one of them. He clearly doesn't follow FCS football that well.

4mcruenomore
11-29-2011, 01:36 PM
Well, atleast now we can stop that BSA renovation, the football team already plays in a large gym. Why build another one?

go_bison
11-29-2011, 01:46 PM
I like the fact that the only Fargodome picture is one with a lake in the parking lot. The JMU folks are going to be dissapointed when they show up with fishing poles.

missingnumber7
11-29-2011, 01:50 PM
But preparing for North Dakota State will be like a blind pig trying to find an acorn.
Best line from the whole article.

bisonmike2
11-29-2011, 01:52 PM
mmmmm.....caazone. Delicious. I like mine with just pepperoni and cheese.

Twentysix
11-29-2011, 02:11 PM
I read it as calzone also. Im starving.

CaBisonFan
11-29-2011, 02:48 PM
Where does he get this 'superior speed' shit? I watched them...and didn't see any streaks of lightning. That's funny.

KSBisonFan
11-29-2011, 02:58 PM
That's ok Calzone....keep thinking you have a speed advantage over us. I think you're going to be rudely awakened when you realize we have some team speed too. The article says JMU needs to improve special teams which makes me think the Bison have a huge day returning kicks and punts and maybe even block a punt. Go Herd!

TransAmBison
11-29-2011, 03:00 PM
That's ok Calzone....keep thinking you have a speed advantage over us. I think you're going to be rudely awakened when you realize we have some team speed too. The article says JMU needs to improve special teams which makes me think the Bison have a huge day returning kicks and punts and maybe even block a punt. Go Herd!I am a bit nervous about punting myself. They had no trouble getting pressure on punts if memory serves. I guess the key is just to not have to punt.

KilldeerBison
11-29-2011, 03:20 PM
I am a bit nervous about punting myself. They had no trouble getting pressure on punts if memory serves. I guess the key is just to not have to punt.
Agree, they will probably try and block punts. I would expect them to "pull out all the stops", might try a fake punt, early onside kick, ect.. Also, I would like to see the Bison try a fake punt and a few middle screens.

bisonaudit
11-29-2011, 03:23 PM
I am a bit nervous about punting myself. They had no trouble getting pressure on punts if memory serves. I guess the key is just to not have to punt.

I'm all for not punting.

CAS4127
11-29-2011, 03:25 PM
I'm all for not punting.

Statistically speaking, or from a coaching philosophy standpoint??!!:biggrin:

bisonaudit
11-29-2011, 03:29 PM
Statistically speaking, or from a coaching philosophy standpoint??!!:biggrin:

Yes. :)

bisonmike2
11-29-2011, 04:54 PM
Where does he get this 'superior speed' shit? I watched them...and didn't see any streaks of lightning. That's funny.
I thought one of their RB's looked pretty quick. Their QB was quick too but not as quick as Rennie. Nobody on their defensive side of the ball jumped out at me.

Bison03
11-29-2011, 05:03 PM
Agree, they will probably try and block punts. I would expect them to "pull out all the stops", might try a fake punt, early onside kick, ect.. Also, I would like to see the Bison try a fake punt and a few middle screens.

I think Bohl has had a fake punt play with Voitlander in his back pocket all year and has yet to try it. It would be a great time to use it on saturday. I am also ok with not punting. Another dumb argument, not mentioned in this article but that I have heard, is that JMU will not be intimidated by the crowd because they play in front of 25,000 at home. Hello..are these people dumb? I am guessing that when they are on offense at home, it is pretty quiet. Now compare that with 19k screaming their asses off when you are trying to call an audible or even hear the snap count. Big difference. The crowd will be a factor. Te more false starts and timeouts that occur that are a direct result of crowd noise, the louder the crowd will get. This team feeds off of the crowd, let's give them plenty to feast on.

KilldeerBison
11-29-2011, 05:07 PM
I thought one of their RB's looked pretty quick. Their QB was quick too but not as quick as Rennie. Nobody on their defensive side of the ball jumped out at me.
Linebacker, #27, not sure of his name, he looked like a player.

bisonmike2
11-29-2011, 05:08 PM
I think Bohl has had a fake punt play with Voitlander in his back pocket all year and has yet to try it. It would be a great time to use it on saturday. I am also ok with not punting. Another dumb argument, not mentioned in this article but that I have heard, is that JMU will not be intimidated by the crowd because they play in front of 25,000 at home. Hello..are these people dumb? I am guessing that when they are on offense at home, it is pretty quiet. Now compare that with 19k screaming their asses off when you are trying to call an audible or even hear the snap count. Big difference. The crowd will be a factor. Te more false starts and timeouts that occur that are a direct result of crowd noise, the louder the crowd will get. This team feeds off of the crowd, let's give them plenty to feast on.

I heard an interview with one of the players and he didn't seem to be think it was a big deal. He did say that they have played in some big time atmospheres in the past couple of years. I think they played Virginia Tech last year. He said they managed the crowd noise there fine.

tony
11-29-2011, 05:21 PM

Their LBs are all good to very good. I'm guessing that they have a lot of speed - of course, you really don't know how much speed until you see them against a known team.

Their offensive line is pretty darn big for their kind of offense* and their QB looked huge and tough to bring down against EKU, hopefully NDSU defends him as well as they did MarQueis Gray who is a similar QB (Rennie is super quick and is more like Montana State's Denarius McGhee.)

* For option, you basically want five very mobile, large fullbacks (imo).

NDSU '96
11-29-2011, 05:22 PM
Another game analysis. They seem more concerned about the turf than perfecting a silent count. http://jamesmadison.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1300426

MNLonghorn10
11-29-2011, 05:32 PM
NDSU’s 4-3 defense struggled at times with option teams like JMU. When facing a running QB like the Dukes’ Justin Thorpe, they typically play the running backs.
i agree. marquise gray, and terrell rennie absolutely tore us a new one.

dipshit.

Twentysix
11-29-2011, 05:43 PM
i agree. marquise gray, and terrell rennie absolutely tore us a new one.

dipshit.

Research, they aren't good at it.

bisonmike2
11-29-2011, 05:44 PM
Another game analysis. They seem more concerned about the turf than perfecting a silent count. http://jamesmadison.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1300426

Hmmm. They have are record at 9-2. Doesn't anybody do any research or fact checking before writing an article anymore? Kinda surprised they haven't called us the Sioux yet or say the game is in Grand Forks.

Twentysix
11-29-2011, 05:46 PM
Hmmm. They have are record at 9-2. Doesn't anybody do any research or fact checking before writing an article anymore? Kinda surprised they haven't called us the Sioux yet or say the game is in Grand Forks.

Research, they aren't good at it.

bisonmike2
11-29-2011, 05:54 PM
And how honkey do you have to be to say this "didn't know there was a North Dakota"? This is their head coach saying that. Where the hell is JMU? Tennarkabama?

"Well golly, they even have runnin' water? Well, I'll be. And they brush their teeth with a teethbrush? Wuh? Why I never heard such a thing."

cbline
11-29-2011, 05:57 PM
And how honkey do you have to be to say this "didn't know there was a North Dakota"? This is their head coach saying that. Where the hell is JMU? Tennarkabama?

"Well golly, they even have runnin' water? Well, I'll be. And they brush their teeth with a teethbrush? Wuh? Why I never heard such a thing."

Time to mercilessly pound some folks.

Hammerhead
11-29-2011, 08:18 PM
The JMU basketball arena only holds 7,156. Not many basketball arenas hold 19,000 people and even fewer are used by college teams.

I guess being 11th in FCS attendance isn't enough for the author since JMU is 3rd.
http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2011/Internet/attendance/FCS_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf

probably doing that to mock our attendance since JMU's stadium seats 25K

Superfan
11-29-2011, 08:19 PM
I heard an interview with one of the players and he didn't seem to be think it was a big deal. He did say that they have played in some big time atmospheres in the past couple of years. I think they played Virginia Tech last year. He said they managed the crowd noise there fine.

He also mentioned that the only time he did struggle was in maryland when he couldn't hear the quarterback. He said it's just a matter of speaking up a little bit and they will be fine. Obviously they haven't watched the UNI film when the players couldn't even hear the referee whistle, let alone the quarterback.

DirtyDukes
11-29-2011, 08:22 PM
The JMU basketball arena only holds 7,156. Not many basketball arenas hold 19,000 people and even fewer are used by college teams.

I guess being 11th in FCS attendance isn't enough for the author since JMU is 3rd.
http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2011/Internet/attendance/FCS_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf

Well I'm sure he didn't bring it up considering you guys are used to playing in front of that crowd.

samhouston
11-29-2011, 08:29 PM
I dont think ndsu fans should worry too much, you will beat JMU, bad

JMU_71
11-29-2011, 08:44 PM
We not only played at Virginia Tech last year; we beat the Hokies last year. Then they proceded to win 11 straight and go to the Orange Bowl.

samhouston
11-29-2011, 08:45 PM
JMU_71 I think we've heard about it, but thats the beauty of a playoff system, a ndsu or sam houston team can win a title no matter who we beat during the season.

bisonaudit
11-29-2011, 08:50 PM
He also mentioned that the only time he did struggle was in maryland when he couldn't hear the quarterback. He said it's just a matter of speaking up a little bit and they will be fine. Obviously they haven't watched the UNI film when the players couldn't even hear the referee whistle, let alone the quarterback.

I can't believe that hearing would ever be a problem at a Maryland football game. Virginia Tech on the other hand is very loud. That experience strikes me as something that would be useful to them coming into the FargoDome.