PDA

View Full Version : FCS Championship vs FBS Bowl Game.

WRSDBison
11-29-2011, 12:18 AM
So, I was reading on a board from a major university(some of you probably know who I would be following) talking about bowl eligibility and teams struggling to qualify for the number of bowls out there. They asked what would happen if they fall a few teams short. One poster mentioned that they should, "I think, for fun, they should take the top FCS school and give them the option of going through the little tournament of junior varsities or a shot to play in a Meineke Car Bowl or whatever."

Let me say that I did not take that very well. I told him he can call it JV or whatever he wants but I would much rather play in the FCS playoffs for a chance at a national title. FCS National Championship>mid-level Bowl game against a MAC team.

I can't imagine anybody on this board is against my line of thinking here.

MNLonghorn10
11-29-2011, 12:20 AM
um yes. fcs playoffs are more fun to follow if your team is in them than the lead up to the meinike car care bowl.

BisonTeacher
11-29-2011, 12:26 AM
um yes. fcs playoffs are more fun to follow if your team is in them than the lead up to the meinike car care bowl.

The bowl system is the dinosaur of college sports. I would say most FBS fans want a playoff system. you know who don't? The people who make the money. This is why I love FCS. a real tournament with a real champion. Why would you want to play in the Insight bowl for example. Who cares if you win that game....over a month from now. Long live the FCS playoffs!!!

AjaxTheMighty
11-29-2011, 01:07 AM
I will give you some dumb-ass reasons why people want to play in a meaningless FBS football system in a meaningless bowl game every few years:
dumb-ass reason #1 - brand recognition. To some on this board, this is the end-all, beat-all. If someone in Middlefart, TN says, "Hey look, there is a Bi-sun on my quarter. Golly, that reminds me of North Dakota State. Maybe I'll look for them in the 'Coffee Table Book on Coffee Tables Bowl'. Doggonit I'm gonna send my little Jimmy there to play! I think I want a sandwich."
dumb-ass reason #2 - just to say we are FBS. "Hey Joe, NDSU is in the FBS! THE FBS you jack ass! THE FBS!!!
dumb-ass reason #3 - they think this will put 30,000-40,000 people in a brand new outdoor stadium every other Saturday, and if you don't think that you are 'small-minded' and a narrow thinker. You can't do anything but live in the past man! You aren't as enlightened as these futuristic robot-men with foresight and foreskin. Word.

duluthbison
11-29-2011, 01:57 AM
I will give you some dumb-ass reasons why people want to play in a meaningless FBS football system in a meaningless bowl game every few years:
dumb-ass reason #1 - brand recognition. To some on this board, this is the end-all, beat-all. If someone in Middlefart, TN says, "Hey look, there is a Bi-sun on my quarter. Golly, that reminds me of North Dakota State. Maybe I'll look for them in the 'Coffee Table Book on Coffee Tables Bowl'. Doggonit I'm gonna send my little Jimmy there to play! I think I want a sandwich."
dumb-ass reason #2 - just to say we are FBS. "Hey Joe, NDSU is in the FBS! THE FBS you jack ass! THE FBS!!!
dumb-ass reason #3 - they think this will put 30,000-40,000 people in a brand new outdoor stadium every other Saturday, and if you don't think that you are 'small-minded' and a narrow thinker. You can't do anything but live in the past man! You aren't as enlightened as these futuristic robot-men with foresight and foreskin. Word.

What, and make us the UND of the FBS attendance wise? Don't you remember this 50,000 seat gem from up north?

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/Hammersmith52/RetractableRoofStadium.png

Hammerhead
11-29-2011, 02:27 AM
I'm guessing the FCS championship trophy looks nicer than the one for winning the Bridgepoint Education Holiday Bowl. :)

KSBisonFan
11-29-2011, 02:34 AM
FCS all the way! A national championship means a hell of a lot more than winning the "Barely above .500" Bowl. Win it on the field, not in the computer!!

4mcruenomore
11-29-2011, 02:37 AM
I'd rather watch New Mexico vs. Idaho in the TucksMedicatedWipes.Com bowl.

AjaxTheMighty
11-29-2011, 02:49 AM
I do...and it brings back great memories of me spitting water out my nose as I read it.

jimmyptubas
11-29-2011, 03:49 AM
I used to think the ultimate goal of Bison Football should be to compete at the FCS level and then show the FBS that we could compete with them. After the success that we have had, and 2 straight years in the playoffs and after learning more about the FCS, i really don't think i can say that anymore. However, if the FBS went to a playoff system I might change my mind depending on how many teams made the field.

duluthbison
11-29-2011, 04:08 AM
I used to think the ultimate goal of Bison Football should be to compete at the FCS level and then show the FBS that we could compete with them. After the success that we have had, and 2 straight years in the playoffs and after learning more about the FCS, i really don't think i can say that anymore. However, if the FBS went to a playoff system I might change my mind depending on how many teams made the field.

Well, as long as bears shit in the woods and people are motivated by greed, I don't think they will ever move to a playoff system.

WYOBISONMAN
11-29-2011, 04:27 AM
Well, as long as bears shit in the woods and people are motivated by greed, I don't think they will ever move to a playoff system.

Exactly.......I like FCS.

jimmyptubas
11-29-2011, 05:19 AM
I still like the FCS too but as far as the money thing goes i've had an idea that might work in the FBS. There might be too many teams in my bracket...but if you had a 4 sided bracket, much like the regions in the NCAA Men's BB tournament, you could have the regional finals be each of the 4 main bowl games (Rose, Orange, Sugar and Cotton). Thus, advertisers and greedy bastards could still get money, there would still be prestige in going to any of the bowls ( as well as an impetus to win them) and they would not be the last stop! They would lead to the national semi-final game which you could make up a name for and sell rights to it and finally, it would culminate in the Dunkin Donuts F(BS) National Championship Game or some derivative of that...

Da_Bizon
11-29-2011, 02:04 PM
Our playoff system is far superior to the bowl crap. I've been saying for years that I'd rather stay in FCS as long as they have a playoff and FBS doesn't. (Plus that means that the NCAA would have to re-brand the divisions again... since the FCS/FBS thing caught on so well.) I also think we need to accomplish something in 1-AA before we even begin to talk about 1-A, but that's for another time. FBS could still have playoffs and keep the big bowl games as the regional championships. But, it all goes back to money, unfortunately... and the politically correct answer that now more than one team can win their last game. Bring on JMU!

BisonTeacher
11-29-2011, 03:00 PM
I still like the FCS too but as far as the money thing goes i've had an idea that might work in the FBS. There might be too many teams in my bracket...but if you had a 4 sided bracket, much like the regions in the NCAA Men's BB tournament, you could have the regional finals be each of the 4 main bowl games (Rose, Orange, Sugar and Cotton). Thus, advertisers and greedy bastards could still get money, there would still be prestige in going to any of the bowls ( as well as an impetus to win them) and they would not be the last stop! They would lead to the national semi-final game which you could make up a name for and sell rights to it and finally, it would culminate in the Dunkin Donuts F(BS) National Championship Game or some derivative of that...

Its not like they dont have time for playoffs either. Most teams that have a "bowl" game dont play for another month.

bisonaudit
11-29-2011, 03:10 PM
I don't know why we'd want to move up at this point. We're in a better spot competitively and financially near the top of I-AA than if we were in a mid-major I-A conference with the directional Michigans and what not. You're carring all the costs of I-A with virtually none of the benefits. The University of Maryland, a major player in the ACC, just shuttered 8 non-revenue sports because they've lost so much money trying to field a competitive football team. That ought to scare the daylights out of anyone who's thinking about moving up.

BisonTeacher
11-29-2011, 03:43 PM
I agree. We should stay FCS. Moving up any further is dumb in my opinion.

semobison
11-29-2011, 04:15 PM

Very true and well stated!

samhouston
11-29-2011, 08:31 PM
Texas is all about the FBS, and most all of america. Sam Houston at Frisco would feel like a home bowl game though :;

CaBisonFan
11-29-2011, 08:33 PM
I'd take the FCS over a puke bowl...but if we went the way of Boise St...then I'd take the FBS. I suspect that within the next 5-10 years the FBS will have a playoff system...if not sooner. I truly believe that we could do a Boise.

HerdBot
11-29-2011, 08:36 PM
I agree completely. What's more press? Bison playing in a shitty bowl game or Bison playing 2-3 playoff games on ESPN? The Missouri Valley is already in the same ballpark as MAC schools. What looks better a shitty bowl win or a national championship? Huge crowds? Are people more pumped up to see Ball State over Northern Iowa at home? Akron or Southern Illinois? The only positive is a few extra scholarships.

bisonaudit
11-29-2011, 08:47 PM
I'd take the FCS over a puke bowl...but if we went the way of Boise St...then I'd take the FBS. I suspect that within the next 5-10 years the FBS will have a playoff system.

If only it were as simple as just gong the way of Boise St. I think there's some commonality and useful comparisions to be made between Boise St. and NDSU but even now I think we simply don't have the scale. Boise started out bigger than Fargo is now and then grew fairly explosively for nearly 20 years. Plus the major college football landscape we'd be trying to navigate today is a heck of a lot different than when Boise St. began their move.

samhouston
11-29-2011, 08:47 PM
Gabe. its still about the perception of being FBS amongst sports fans. You cant escape that in the fcs world.

riceweb
12-23-2011, 11:14 PM
I personally think a December 31st-ish bowl game between the MVFC and a mid-major FBS conference would be fun. This wouldn't preclude the MVFC team from playing in the playoffs since the game would be scheduled after, and it would provide an interesting end-of-year showcase.

Currently, the following conferences affiliations are available:
Sun Belt: #3/4 pick
WAC: #4 pick
MAC: #5 pick
MWC: #6 pick
C-USA: #7 pick
--------
Big East: #6/7 pick
Pac-12: #8 pick
Big 12: #9 pick
B1G: #9 pick
ACC: #9/10 pick
SEC: #10 pick

This data comes from, of course, Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_bids_to_college_bowl_games

Let me clarify the above table quick. The WAC currently has 3 automatic bids to bowl games. Therefore, if the MVFC created a bowl game with the WAC, it would feature the #4 WAC team vs the #1 MVFC team. Geographically, I think the MAC makes the most sense, and since the MAC is expanding to 14 teams, they will almost always have at least 5 bowl-eligible teams (it would take a truly bizarre year for the MAC to not have at least 5 bowl-eligible teams). So that would mean a MVFC #1 vs MAC #5 match-up. This year, that would be NDSU vs likely Temple or Western Michigan.

None of this would happen, however, unless the NCAA modified its requirements for bowl games. Since no FCS team wins 5 games in a year against FBS teams, no FCS team is or can be eligible for a bowl game. The NCAA would likely have to modify the rule to state that the champion of an FCS conference is eligible for a bowl game.

But probably more important: would there be a chance that the game could make money for somebody, even ESPN? Probably. Therefore I wouldn't count this out as a possibility. Also, Temple vs NDSU? Hell yes I'd watch that on ESPN.

mnriverbison
12-24-2011, 01:49 PM
I would actually love to watch the FCS champ play in bowl. The timing doesn't work out, but hell MF'n yes I'd love to watch that.

That said-Comparing playoffs to the Bow system is dumb. Everyone on earth knows that playoffs are better, even the major college ADs who force the bowls on everyone else to make sure that they continue to profit the most from college football. There is no debate about bowls vs playoffs except for talk radio blowhards who are looking to be edgy and retarded people.

mnriverbison
12-24-2011, 01:50 PM
The Missouri Valley is already in the same ballpark as MAC schools.

Can you elaborate on this topic? It sounds like a pretty good stretch to me.

Gully
12-24-2011, 01:55 PM
Can you elaborate on this topic? It sounds like a pretty good stretch to me.

Isn't NDSU 2-0 against MAC teams since the DI transition? That includes a dominating win over Central Michigan, who won the MAC the same year.

IndyBison
12-24-2011, 03:57 PM
Isn't NDSU 2-0 against MAC teams since the DI transition? That includes a dominating win over Central Michigan, who won the MAC the same year.
Correct. Top to bottom the talent is better in the MAC but the gap isn't that huge. If the Bison took their current roster into the MAC they would probably compete but would not be favored to win the conference. If we joined the MAC it would increase the talent we would be able to recruit and we would probably be competitive pretty quickly. On any given Saturday the top of the MVFC could beat the top of the MAC but over the course of a full season the MAC is definitely a step up from the MVFC.

56BISON73
12-24-2011, 03:59 PM
I agree completely. What's more press? Bison playing in a shitty bowl game or Bison playing 2-3 playoff games on ESPN? The Missouri Valley is already in the same ballpark as MAC schools. What looks better a shitty bowl win or a national championship? Huge crowds? Are people more pumped up to see Ball State over Northern Iowa at home? Akron or Southern Illinois? The only positive is a few extra scholarships.

The only problem with that statement(whether true or not) is only NDSU and Other MVSC fans feel that way. FCS fans get a big boner saying and thinking that BUT thats not main stream thinking in the real football world. Thats just fact. What is going to make NDSU fans feel great? Sure playing in 3 more playoff games and going to the N/C game. In reality---whats going to give the Bison more exposure? Unfortunately its playing in a shitty bowl game.

Bisonguy
12-24-2011, 05:01 PM
I personally think a December 31st-ish bowl game between the MVFC and a mid-major FBS conference would be fun. This wouldn't preclude the MVFC team from playing in the playoffs since the game would be scheduled after, and it would provide an interesting end-of-year showcase.

Currently, the following conferences affiliations are available:
Sun Belt: #3/4 pick
WAC: #4 pick
MAC: #5 pick
MWC: #6 pick
C-USA: #7 pick
--------
Big East: #6/7 pick
Pac-12: #8 pick
Big 12: #9 pick
B1G: #9 pick
ACC: #9/10 pick
SEC: #10 pick

This data comes from, of course, Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_bids_to_college_bowl_games

Let me clarify the above table quick. The WAC currently has 3 automatic bids to bowl games. Therefore, if the MVFC created a bowl game with the WAC, it would feature the #4 WAC team vs the #1 MVFC team. Geographically, I think the MAC makes the most sense, and since the MAC is expanding to 14 teams, they will almost always have at least 5 bowl-eligible teams (it would take a truly bizarre year for the MAC to not have at least 5 bowl-eligible teams). So that would mean a MVFC #1 vs MAC #5 match-up. This year, that would be NDSU vs likely Temple or Western Michigan.

None of this would happen, however, unless the NCAA modified its requirements for bowl games. Since no FCS team wins 5 games in a year against FBS teams, no FCS team is or can be eligible for a bowl game. The NCAA would likely have to modify the rule to state that the champion of an FCS conference is eligible for a bowl game.

But probably more important: would there be a chance that the game could make money for somebody, even ESPN? Probably. Therefore I wouldn't count this out as a possibility. Also, Temple vs NDSU? Hell yes I'd watch that on ESPN.

FYI- NDSU still has one football game remaining this season on January 7th.

TheBisonator
12-24-2011, 05:18 PM
What is going to make NDSU fans feel great? Sure playing in 3 more playoff games and going to the N/C game. In reality---whats going to give the Bison more exposure? Unfortunately its playing in a shitty bowl game.

I can't believe I agreed with something PL said.

ESPN (and the other sports media entities) whore out the crappiest bowl game 10x more than the FBS championship.

SeattleBison
12-24-2011, 06:56 PM
I used to be super gung-ho about us moving up to FBS as soon as we possibly could, but after years of watching us build up our program and being in the playoffs now for two years, I can seriously say I'm fine with us staying in FCS for the time being (20 yrs from now, who knows)... What I'd like to see is NDSU basically turn into the respectable version of Montana, such that we are considered a top contender every year for the playoffs, BUT we don't schedule pansies at home to "pad the schedule" OR buyout home-home games to avoid travel (unless absolutely necessary).

The only thing I want for Christmas this year, is the Bison to walk out of Frisco, TX with the national championship trophy.

VanClubPres
12-25-2011, 01:13 AM
For those keeping score at home, please reference tonight's gamer Nevada vs. So. Miss. Count all 36 people in the stands. I bet that was a tough ticket to come by.

DePereBisonFan
12-27-2011, 04:22 PM
Correct. Top to bottom the talent is better in the MAC but the gap isn't that huge. If the Bison took their current roster into the MAC they would probably compete but would not be favored to win the conference. If we joined the MAC it would increase the talent we would be able to recruit and we would probably be competitive pretty quickly. On any given Tuesday the top of the MVFC could beat the top of the MAC but over the course of a full season the MAC is definitely a step up from the MVFC.

Fixed it for you...

Hammerhead
12-27-2011, 04:40 PM
According to the NCAA, the FCS championship game TV rating has been over 1.0 most recent years.
http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2011-12-22/fcs-championship-record-pace

About 1/2 the bowls get less than a 3.0 rating.
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/01/college_football_bowl_ratings.html

I'm not sure if this is still true, but most-viewed FCS game was the last playoff meeting with App state vs. Montana with a 1.9 rating.
http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=204858434

CaBisonFan
12-27-2011, 04:44 PM
I'd support a move to the Big 12. Outside of that, I'm not sure.

We are capable of competing for BCS Bowl consideration...as in building toward it.

The Bison Brand has improved immensely in the past five years. We...along with Montana...are very impressive.

Visits from Big 12 schools would make the current ticket demand look like child's play.

I know...it's impossible...:facepalm:

IndyBison
12-27-2011, 06:26 PM
For those keeping score at home, please reference tonight's gamer Nevada vs. So. Miss. Count all 36 people in the stands. I bet that was a tough ticket to come by.
There may have only been 36 people in the stands but they sold nearly 33k tickets in a stadium that seats 50k.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=313582572

BisonTeacher
12-27-2011, 07:34 PM
I don't care what the TV ratings or ticket sales are. The bowl system is crap. I know a few on here will think my opinion is the "lets stay small" attitude. I don't care how big we get. I hate the BCS. Without playoffs and a real championship its all crap, and about money. The arguments Ive heard so far that recruiting will be better. Really? You think once we go FBS, we are going to be able to compete recruiting wise with Minnesota Wisconsin, Iowa, and other FBS schools? How do you think we get some of the players we get?...because we can take chances on them that FBS schools cant. More exposure? Really? We can't even get all the games on in Fargo now. You think playing in the "Kraft-Stop Hunger" bowl game will give us more exposure than being in FCS playoffs? If it does...its not going to be much. We will have had 2 on ESPN already this year, and possibly 3 if we were put in a diff spot in the bracket. You really ever think NDSU will make a BCS bowl game that matters? Lay off the pipes guys. I feel like to some pro-FBS'ers its just about being able to say..."we're an FBS school!" just so they can feel good to say it. Its good to dream. Its good to have goals. But don't outkick your punt coverage.

CAS4127
12-27-2011, 07:55 PM
I don't care what the TV ratings or ticket sales are. The bowl system is crap. I know a few on here will think my opinion is the "lets stay small" attitude. I don't care how big we get. I hate the BCS. Without playoffs and a real championship its all crap, and about money. The arguments Ive heard so far that recruiting will be better. Really? You think once we go FBS, we are going to be able to compete recruiting wise with Minnesota Wisconsin, Iowa, and other FBS schools? How do you think we get some of the players we get?...because we can take chances on them that FBS schools cant. More exposure? Really? We can't even get all the games on in Fargo now. You think playing in the "Kraft-Stop Hunger" bowl game will give us more exposure than being in FCS playoffs? If it does...its not going to be much. We will have had 2 on ESPN already this year, and possibly 3 if we were put in a diff spot in the bracket. You really ever think NDSU will make a BCS bowl game that matters? Lay off the pipes guys. I feel like to some pro-FBS'ers its just about being able to say..."we're an FBS school!" just so they can feel good to say it. Its good to dream. Its good to have goals. But don't outkick your punt coverage.

1st bold: Lakes/unbison

2nd bold: Tranny marrying his wife!!

That's all!!

NFLBison
12-30-2011, 12:55 AM
florida state notre dame awesome game, awesome atmosphere and 70,000 sold out in orlando.

Hammerhead
12-30-2011, 01:17 AM
We have a long way to go to get the fan base of Notre Dame or Florida State.

TransAmBison
12-30-2011, 04:48 PM
We have a long way to go to get the fan base of Notre Dame or Florida State.Notre Dame and Florida State fans are on the waiting list to be Bison fans.

PaBizon
12-30-2011, 07:20 PM
Going to the Oklahoma St/Stanford Fiesta Bowl game on Monday and then off to the Bizon/SHSU game. I'll let you know which was better :biggrin:

BisonTeacher
12-31-2011, 02:24 PM
I found this on CNN...

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/30/opinion/moore-football-playoff/index.html?hpt=hp_abar

From what this writer is saying...a playoff system would be harder on athletes academically, and FCS fans attend playoff games less than regular season games????

So apparently FCS athletes are mentally tougher than FBS athletes cuz they can handle the playoff grind...and he needs to check his facts on NDSU's playoff attendance.

stevdock
12-31-2011, 03:50 PM
I found this on CNN...

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/30/opinion/moore-football-playoff/index.html?hpt=hp_abar

From what this writer is saying...a playoff system would be harder on athletes academically, and FCS fans attend playoff games less than regular season games????

So apparently FCS athletes are mentally tougher than FBS athletes cuz they can handle the playoff grind...and he needs to check his facts on NDSU's playoff attendance.

NDSU's playoff attendance is definitely not the norm for FCS playoffs. Most teams actually drop quite a bit when it comes to playoff games. I believe in the first round games we were actually closest to a sellout. GSU and App St for example were about 50% full and Montana I believe was about 75%.

As far as playoffs being harder academically that obviously is true. Think about the week that our players had when preparing for GSU. Dealing with a new offense we haven't seen before, studying and taking Finals, and then dealing with the flu on top of that. We asked a lot of our student athletes that week and they came through with flying colors.

IndyBison
12-31-2011, 03:56 PM
NDSU's playoff attendance is definitely not the norm for FCS playoffs. Most teams actually drop quite a bit when it comes to playoff games. I believe in the first round games we were actually closest to a sellout. GSU and App St for example were about 50% full and Montana I believe was about 75%.

As far as playoffs being harder academically that obviously is true. Think about the week that our players had when preparing for GSU. Dealing with a new offense we haven't seen before, studying and taking Finals, and then dealing with the flu on top of that. We asked a lot of our student athletes that week and they came through with flying colors.
The primary reasons for drops in attendance at some schools is people with season tickets don't extend into the playoffs and students being gone for holidays/finals. Some schools can overcome those hurdles. NDSU did not this year. Remember we only had 12k at the Robert Morris game last year.

BisonNeil
12-31-2011, 04:42 PM
Going to the Oklahoma St/Stanford Fiesta Bowl game on Monday and then off to the Bizon/SHSU game. I'll let you know which was better :biggrin:

Me too! Both should be good games but I have no emotional ties to either team in the Fiesta Bowl, just going to watch a good game.

bisoningrandforks
01-01-2012, 03:24 PM
its all about POWER.......the top 10 fbs schools have it...and they dont want to revenue share with anyone else...period!

lakesbozo
01-03-2012, 04:04 AM
Bowl games have been crazy.
Fiesta is 38 38
Wisc choked
Mich st blocks a fg

BisonTeacher
01-04-2012, 10:15 PM
Just mentioned this on the KFAN thread, but in Bohls interview with PA today it sounded like he preferred the fcs playoff system over the bowl system.

IndyBison
01-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Just mentioned this on the KFAN thread, but in Bohls interview with PA today it sounded like he preferred the fcs playoff system over the bowl system.
And almost any coach that played in a bowl game (with the exception of maybe Oklahoma State coach) would say the opposite. They know who signs their overpriced checks.

BisonTeacher
01-04-2012, 11:04 PM
And almost any coach that played in a bowl game (with the exception of maybe Oklahoma State coach) would say the opposite. They know who signs their overpriced checks.

In the interview He actually referred to his days with Nebraska and preparing for natl championship bowl games.

Bison"FANatic"
01-04-2012, 11:07 PM
In the interview He actually referred to his days with Nebraska and preparing for natl championship bowl games.

Bohl has said it before that he doesn't like the "style" points and winning margins and others being taken into account and it being decided partly off the field. A huge paycheck changes peoples perception in a hurry though.

BisonTeacher
01-04-2012, 11:14 PM
Agreed. Im just commenting on what he said. He said what he said.

Gully
01-04-2012, 11:56 PM

I believe Bohl both played and coached in bowl games didn't he?

IndyBison
01-05-2012, 12:08 AM
And if next year he was coaching at a BCS school and his team was playing in a bowl game he would probably be talking about the great experience to be participating in a bowl again. I think he believes in what he is saying but we have to realize people in the public often have to frame their comments that serves their current purpose. They aren't lying or dishonest. It's just a different version of the truth.

NDSUstudent
01-05-2012, 12:10 AM
Who would want to be a part of this crappy system....

The bloodbath began the moment the contract was signed. Minnesota was obligated to write a check for 10,000 tickets, which were supposed to be resold to fans. Never mind that even the best of teams struggle to unload such sums. For middling squads like the Gophers, it was nothing more than a way for the men in funny yellow blazers who ran the Insight to grab piles of money from a public university.

Minnesota managed to sell just 901 seats. After kicking another 900 to the band, administrators, and cherished hangers-on, the school was forced to eat $476,000 worth of useless tickets.

The contract also required the team to show up a week early, if only to burn as much school money as possible at the restaurants and retailers of greater Phoenix.

One would think school administrators would protest such gall. But one would be wrong. They were quick to see the advantages of a luxury vacation on the school's dime. So they happily signed off.

The school's traveling party was larded up with 722 people, including players, band members, and faculty. Airfare alone ran $542,000. Toss in hotels and meals, and the school had blown $1.3 million before the opening kickoff.

Last year, the nation's bowls paid schools roughly $270 million. Just for playing middlemen and providing 70-degree temperatures, bowl execs grabbed a larger cut, north of $300 million.

Even bowl apologists admit that by implementing a playoff system, like every other NCAA sport does, schools could generate three to four times what they're bringing home now. That's because TV networks will pay far more for a playoff game than they will for straight-to-DVD thrillers like the Beef O'Brady's St. Petersburg Bowl.

Under a playoff system, the schools' collective take might even approach $1 billion annually. It's the kind of money that could fill budget gaps in nearly every Division 1 athletic department.
http://www.citypages.com/2011-12-14/news/college-bowl-system-loots-universities/

BisonTeacher
01-05-2012, 11:58 AM
And if next year he was coaching at a BCS school and his team was playing in a bowl game he would probably be talking about the great experience to be participating in a bowl again. I think he believes in what he is saying but we have to realize people in the public often have to frame their comments that serves their current purpose. They aren't lying or dishonest. It's just a different version of the truth.

Indy...Did you listen to the interview? He sounded pretty emphatic about it. Just wondering.

IndyBison
01-05-2012, 12:41 PM
Indy...Did you listen to the interview? He sounded pretty emphatic about it. Just wondering.
No but I've heard enough interviews in my life to know how they are handled. Reggie Wayne right now it talking about how much he wants to stay with the Colts and retire as a Colt. But if they don't offer him enough money or another team signs him, he'll be talking about how much he enjoys his new team and is looking forward to being a part of them. It's just how it works.

BisonTeacher
01-05-2012, 03:26 PM
No but I've heard enough interviews in my life to know how they are handled. Reggie Wayne right now it talking about how much he wants to stay with the Colts and retire as a Colt. But if they don't offer him enough money or another team signs him, he'll be talking about how much he enjoys his new team and is looking forward to being a part of them. It's just how it works.

Im guessing it wont change your mind,and Im not trying to, but if you want to listen you will see what I am talking about. Let me know if you need the link to download the file. It is a good interview regardless of our opinions on the matter. Plus its only about 10 minutes.

Its one thing to praise the FCS playoffs, its another to talk down the bowl system. I get that Reggie Wayne is talking about staying with the colts...but you don't see him bashing any other teams right now that he may potentially sign with in the future. Either way...just commenting on what Bohl said and my impression of it. Go Bison.

IndyBison
01-05-2012, 03:53 PM
Im guessing it wont change your mind,and Im not trying to, but if you want to listen you will see what I am talking about. Let me know if you need the link to download the file. It is a good interview regardless of our opinions on the matter. Plus its only about 10 minutes.

Its one thing to praise the FCS playoffs, its another to talk down the bowl system. I get that Reggie Wayne is talking about staying with the colts...but you don't see him bashing any other teams right now that he may potentially sign with in the future. Either way...just commenting on what Bohl said and my impression of it. Go Bison.
Go Bison! I'm not trying to argue with you or disagree with you. I'm sure it's a great interview because he's always a good interview. Your comments are not wrong at all. Go Bison!

Twentysix
01-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Anyone have the neilsen raitings of the game?

CAS4127
01-11-2012, 03:30 PM
Anyone have the neilsen raitings of the game?

Also, what about the standing question. Would you rather have had us play in a sh*tty bowl game and attend/watch that, or would take the FCS NC game in Frisco like we just went through. Kind of a no-brainer question after the fact IMO!!

BisonTeacher
01-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Also, what about the standing question. Would you rather have had us play in a sh*tty bowl game and attend/watch that, or would take the FCS NC game in Frisco like we just went through. Kind of a no-brainer question after the fact IMO!!

Im with CAS on this one. My mind hasnt changed. I feel like Ive gorwn even more hated for the Bowl system over the past weekend. Bohl has stated many times how much he prefers the FCS playoffs, every chance he got he said it.

I heard on KFAN yesterday that the BCS "people" are meeting to discuss a playoff format, with all kinds of scenarios from 4 teams to 16 teams.

steelbison
01-11-2012, 04:01 PM

Couldn't agree more CAS!!! Anyone that attended the game in Frisco understands that was as good as it gets!!!

SDbison
01-11-2012, 04:35 PM
FCS needs more press coverage (sorry ESPN, big fail as you kneel down to the big sponsors of the the Football BS division) and better planning and promotion by the host city (Frisco was OK but much improvement possible). Finally, when the Bison return for the next championship game pick a larger venue. 35,000 to 40,000 capacity is needed for Bison fans. How about Baylor's stadium........they will building a new one soon and the current one is not even on campus in Waco. Perfect!

IndyBison
01-11-2012, 04:42 PM
FCS needs more press coverage (sorry ESPN, big fail as you kneel down to the big sponsors of the the Football BS division) and better planning and promotion by the host city (Frisco was OK but much improvement possible). Finally, when the Bison return for the next championship game pick a larger venue. 35,000 to 40,000 capacity is needed for Bison fans. How about Baylor's stadium........they will building a new one soon and the current one is not even on campus in Waco. Perfect!
The City of Waco would have to bid on the game for Baylor to host it. Frisco wouldn't bid on the game and then try to host it in another city. If the game continues to sell out at 21k then the NCAA will want to consider bids for larger venues. For an event that averages 15-17k, a 21k seat venue is more than sufficient.

If this game would have been in a 35k seat stadium in Texas, I doubt it would have been full.

SDbison
01-11-2012, 06:46 PM
The City of Waco would have to bid on the game for Baylor to host it. Frisco wouldn't bid on the game and then try to host it in another city. If the game continues to sell out at 21k then the NCAA will want to consider bids for larger venues. For an event that averages 15-17k, a 21k seat venue is more than sufficient.

If this game would have been in a 35k seat stadium in Texas, I doubt it would have been full. Sorry Indy, even Bohl and Taylor said this years game could have pushed 35K if the stadium was larger. Bison fans alone would have brought another 5 to 10K.

tony
01-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Sorry Indy, even Bohl and Taylor said this years game could have pushed 35K if the stadium was larger. Bison fans alone would have brought another 5 to 10K.

Maybe soccer will get more popular in the Dallas area so they expand the stadium in Frisco... be nice to see some consistent sellouts of the FCS championship game.

Strommer10
01-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Maybe soccer will get more popular in the Dallas area so they expand the stadium in Frisco... be nice to see some consistent sellouts of the FCS championship game.
If NDSU was in it every year, this wouldn't be a problem. Imagine if NDSU and Montana were in it and the game was hypothetically played at Invesco Field at Mile High. Now THAT would be a crowd.