PDA

View Full Version : Open Head Coach Jobs

bisontwice
11-28-2011, 03:55 PM
Might as well start the rumor mill churning. With the Kansas and Illinois jobs opening up after both coaches were fired this weekend, is Bohl in line for either one? Any other jobs opening up? I doubt if he is interested in a mid-major job but these certainly both would have better pay days.

CaBisonFan
11-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Might as well start the rumor mill churning. With the Kansas and Illinois jobs opening up after both coaches were fired this weekend, is Bohl in line for either one? Any other jobs opening up? I doubt if he is interested in a mid-major job but these certainly both would have better pay days.

I would think that the Kansas job would be a 'natural' for Bohl...and that the Illinois job would be a little less. When we win the championship...he'll be on the short list of a lot of big schools.

Who would be a 'natural' on the current staff to take over for him?

KSBisonFan
11-28-2011, 04:59 PM
I think Bohl would be crazy to take the Kansas job. Granted, it would be a big pay hike but that program is not in good shape and will always be in the shadow of the baskeball program there. The fan base is apathetic toward the football program and the way in which they parted with their last 2 coaches (Manjello and Gill) will scare off a lot of candidates. KU's AD has ties to K-State so I think he'll pick one of his guys. Bohl has a good thing where he's at and I hope he stays.

Strommer10
11-28-2011, 05:34 PM
Bohl is staying at NDSU until he leaves... Once that happens, then we can discuss. I hate starting our own rumors. This has been brought up before on previous threads, how would this look to a possible recruit that may be surfing the internet and he finds this saying that he may be leaving. Not good publicity.

bisonaudit
11-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Bohl is staying at NDSU until he leaves... Once that happens, then we can discuss. I hate starting our own rumors. This has been brought up before on previous threads, how would this look to a possible recruit that may be surfing the internet and he finds this saying that he may be leaving. Not good publicity.

I think you're giving this board somewhat too much credit for its influence and potential recruits somewhat too little credit for their savyness about these sorts of things.

TransAmBison
11-28-2011, 05:52 PM
I wonder if one of those openings might go to Mussman. Discuss.

Twentysix
11-28-2011, 05:59 PM
I wonder if one of those openings might go to Mussman. Discuss.

8-3 a co-championship in his conference and a top 25 ranking. He is bcs bound.

TransAmBison
11-28-2011, 06:03 PM
8-3 a co-championship in his conference and a top 25 ranking. He is bcs bound.BSC to BCS...that's some F...BS... :)

MN_Moose
11-28-2011, 06:14 PM
I think Bohl would be crazy to take the Kansas job. Granted, it would be a big pay hike but that program is not in good shape and will always be in the shadow of the baskeball program there. The fan base is apathetic toward the football program and the way in which they parted with their last 2 coaches (Manjello and Gill) will scare off a lot of candidates. KU's AD has ties to K-State so I think he'll pick one of his guys. Bohl has a good thing where he's at and I hope he stays.

might be a good paycheck for 2 - 3 years but it's the graveyard of coaching
Turner Gill (5-19), 2010–2011
Mark Mangino (50-48), 2002–2009
Terry Allen (20-33), 1997–2001
Glen Mason (47-54-1), 1988–1996, accepted Minnesota job

BadlandsBison
11-28-2011, 06:19 PM
Bohl isn't going anywhere

go_bison
11-28-2011, 06:44 PM

I don't think that would ever be a concern of losing recruits to a discussion like this. I am certain it is discussed on every message board of college football. Talk of winning coaches leaving and losing coaches getting fired. It is the nature of the game.
With that being said, I don't think Coach Bohl is looking anywhere until he has a National Championship under his belt. Just my thoughts.

bisonmike2
11-28-2011, 06:44 PM
Bohl isn't going anywhere

unless he loses this Saturday. Then we'll be running him out of town.

MNLonghorn10
11-28-2011, 06:46 PM
bohl to concordia college

bisonmike2
11-28-2011, 06:49 PM
bohl to concordia college
I heard he was leaving to coach one of the Rick's Cabaret's topless women's basketball league teams.

go_bison
11-28-2011, 06:52 PM
I heard Ohio State....... wait...... nevermind.

CAS4127
11-28-2011, 07:00 PM
I don't think that would ever be a concern of losing recruits to a discussion like this. I am certain it is discussed on every message board of college football. Talk of winning coaches leaving and losing coaches getting fired. It is the nature of the game.
With that being said, I don't think Coach Bohl is looking anywhere until he has a National Championship under his belt. Just my thoughts.

Speaking from my own experience, I asked specifically of Coach Morton when being recruited what his future plans were and whether I needed to be concerned about him leaving the program while I was there. So, as player being recruited, it is a concern, at least one that I had. So, if they have two-three programs they are interested in, and which are comparable, I could see discussions like this having an effect on ultimate decisions.

BTW-->Morton left after my RFr year :confused:, and, guess what?! That was not the answer I got from him when I asked about it!! :(

mebisonII
11-28-2011, 07:06 PM
Speaking from my own experience, I asked specifically of Coach Morton when being recruited what his future plans were and whether I needed to be concerned about him leaving the program while I was there. So, as player being recruited, it is a concern, at least one that I had. So, if they have two-three programs they are interested in, and which are comparable, I could see discussions like this having an effect on ultimate decisions.

BTW-->Morton left after my RFr year :confused:, and, guess what?! That was not the answer I got from him when I asked about it!! :(

They've got to be able to tell the difference between rumors that might have a little weight to them and the idle musings of some fans on an off-weekend, though, right?

CAS4127
11-28-2011, 07:09 PM
They've got to be able to tell the difference between rumors that might have a little weight to them and the idle musings of some fans on an off-weekend, though, right?

One would hope so, but, when you are being recruited by more than one school, which most are at this level, and coaches from other schools are telling you that a coach or coaches from xyz school are reported to be interested in or by other schools (and this happens), you get a little concerned. Then, if a kid sees a thread like this, well, you just never know what "math" they might do in making a final decision.

bisontwice
11-28-2011, 07:23 PM
Having been involved the recruiting process as well, that should be and is a standard question. If a kid is going to a school only because of the coach, particulary the head coach instead of a position coach, he is probably going to be disappointed. I think most recruits are smart enough to look at the school and the program as the most important aspects of where they play. If they actually are reading BV, they should have been concerned 2 years ago and we shouldn't have gotten any recruits.
Wacker, Morton, Solmonson and then Hager-didn't exactly cause much problem with recuiting. While Bohl's committment may be to "stay until I win a championship" hard to not leave if Kansas or someone else comes calling with a 7 figure payday.

go_bison
11-28-2011, 07:32 PM

Should of checked Bisonville before your decision... :D

BSKB 24
11-28-2011, 08:16 PM
unless he loses this Saturday. Then we'll be running him out of town.

Hope is packing his bags, then!

HandoEX
11-28-2011, 09:15 PM
College football is small time....Bohl to the Minnesota Vikings! Fire Frazier!!! He sucks.

Grizzled
11-28-2011, 09:27 PM
I could see Coach Bohl and the rest of the staff move on if given the opportunity. Its the way of college football and I think he's earned that opportunity if it presents itself. Until that time though, he is a Bison. And if that time comes we'll pat him on the back, wish him luck, and we will hire another great coach like we have done in the past.

perthbison
11-28-2011, 10:04 PM
I wonder if one of those openings might go to Mussman. Discuss. I'm thinking that Mussman is so attached to the indianhead logo and fears they will lose that at und in the near future. Therefore I could see him as a good fit for the Illini job, unless of course, the Seminole job would open up.:biggrin:

BadlandsBison
11-28-2011, 10:34 PM
Mussman will discuss his future after celebrating the great waste conference championship. Its rumored he's getting a raise; one free taco grinder a week + free tickets to women's hockey vs. Mankato

SamsRams
11-28-2011, 11:18 PM
something about the ASU job opening scares me. But I agree with most of you that he won't even talk to other schools tuntil NDSU has completed this season

WYOBISONMAN
11-29-2011, 12:31 AM
It is all about money. Bohl gets the right amount of cash dangled in front of him and he will be out of Fargo like shit through a goose. He is a coach.....and coaches chase the buck......

BisBison
11-29-2011, 01:01 AM
It is all about money. Bohl gets the right amount of cash dangled in front of him and he will be out of Fargo like shit through a goose. He is a coach.....and coaches chase the buck......

and that makes coaches different than who?? I myself am working for the 5th bank in my career. Guess what? Each move was accompanied with a nice bump in salary. Nobody blamed me, nobody should blame Coach Bohl if he betters himself. He's stayed a good long time (for a coach) and I think demonstrated loyalty. The program is in better shape than when he got here and IMHO we have the support to attract a good coach should he decide to leave. Remember we won several national championships in the 80's with three different head coaches. I hope he stays a long time, but if he leaves we'll be fine.

WYOBISONMAN
11-29-2011, 01:56 AM
and that makes coaches different than who?? I myself am working for the 5th bank in my career. Guess what? Each move was accompanied with a nice bump in salary. Nobody blamed me, nobody should blame Coach Bohl if he betters himself. He's stayed a good long time (for a coach) and I think demonstrated loyalty. The program is in better shape than when he got here and IMHO we have the support to attract a good coach should he decide to leave. Remember we won several national championships in the 80's with three different head coaches. I hope he stays a long time, but if he leaves we'll be fine.

WTF......read my post......I never made a judgement about anything. I just stated the facts. Why so damn testy? NDSU is a stepping stone school for any coach. They are all looking to trade up.

NDSUstudent
11-29-2011, 02:04 AM
A raise is nice but he also wants the right fit. I don't think he'll go to a program that has historically struggled and fired their last coach after only giving him two years.

IzzyFlexion
11-29-2011, 02:07 AM
Bohl is staying at NDSU until he leaves... .

Ladies and Gentlemen:
Mr. Yogi Berra! :)

BISONBRI53
11-29-2011, 04:20 PM
UCLA is open now! California Bohl?

56BISON73
11-29-2011, 04:22 PM
A raise is nice but he also wants the right fit. I don't think he'll go to a program that has historically struggled and fired their last coach after only giving him two years.

For a 6 million buy out he might take that chance.

NDSUstudent
11-29-2011, 04:28 PM
For a 6 million buy out he might take that chance.

Well I doubt any decent head coach touches that job unless they get a seven year contract like Jerry Kill got at MN.

56BISON73
11-29-2011, 04:32 PM
Well I doubt any decent head coach touches that job unless they get a seven year contract like Jerry Kill got at MN.

Years in a contract arent worth the ink used to write it. Gill had a longer contract that 2 years and he is gone. 7 years look good but if he doesnt produce he will be gone in 4 or sooner.

NDSUstudent
11-29-2011, 04:44 PM
Years in a contract arent worth the ink used to write it. Gill had a longer contract that 2 years and he is gone. 7 years look good but if he doesnt produce he will be gone in 4 or sooner.

They are worth a lot if they are guaranteed, which is why Gill is getting a massive check just to not coach. No coach touches that job unless they are getting a similar deal.

bisonaudit
11-29-2011, 04:46 PM

If its guaranteed money those years are worth what they're worth. Sure they can show you the door early, but they've also got to write you a big fat check.

Vitojr130
11-29-2011, 04:49 PM
Didn't Bohl make a promise that he will not leave NDSU at least until he gets this team a NC if ever? He seems like a man of his word: very respectable and well-rounded. I don't see any incentive on leaving... As far as I have heard throughout the media and whatnot, he is very happy living in Fargo and his pay is anything but modest.

td577
11-29-2011, 05:09 PM
I have no problem with discussing the possibilities. While NDSU is important to us, it isn't the pinnacle of college coaching. Bohl goes no where if he doesn't take care of Bison business. That is exactly what this program needs. I want NDSU to be the premier stepping stone program. If you want to coach at the next level or the more prestigious institution, you have to prove yourself at this level and institution.

As far as recruits, you show you have established a winning program. This program will open new opportunities for everyone involved. There have been and are Bison alum playing in the NFL. There have been and are Bison coaches moving on to more prestigious schools and the NFL. You don't get promoted in any line of work without usually showing success. If Bohl leaves, it will be after leaving a successful program in his wake.

The key to recruiting is selling the idea the program is larger than any person within it. It is the program that drives success, not necessarily a coach or any single player. As fans, alum, grads, and boosters; we are the constant factor of the program. NDSU has won national championship, in the past, because of the success of the program. The Bison are a presently nationally ranked team because of the program.

There will always be someone out there ready to coach the Bison with as much skill, desire, and ability as the last guy. With the reputation of being the premier stepping stone, the coaching tree will continue to grow positively. You come here as a coach or player and succeed, there will be tremendous opportunities for you. If you come here as a coach or player and fail, your football opportunities will become a bit more limited. As far as the player is concerned, if they utilize the opportunity correctly, they will leave with a college education.