PDA

View Full Version : As John Wooden Would Say...

CaBisonFan
11-28-2011, 01:40 PM
...we don't prepare for other teams. We prepare to play our game...and they prepare for us.

Bring on whoever wants to play Bison Football...that is...championship football.

TbonZach
11-28-2011, 02:53 PM
...we don't prepare for other teams. We prepare to play our game...and they prepare for us.

Bring on whoever wants to play Bison Football...that is...championship football.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_bJhdkF31-XA/Sr8RT8NzdEI/AAAAAAAAABQ/t-XEuSh4he0/S1600-R/THIS+IS+SPARTA.jpg

Kermit
11-28-2011, 03:04 PM

Wooden's former players often say that Coach never talked about the need to beat a particular opponent. The goal was always to perform to their own internal standard. Control what you can control and don't worry about what you can't control. If they did the little things right and performed well, winning would take care of itself. Of course, it is much easier to take that approach when you have Kareem Abdul-Jabbar or Bill Walton in your lineup. ;)

CaBisonFan
11-28-2011, 03:40 PM
Wooden's former players often say that Coach never talked about the need to beat a particular opponent. The goal was always to perform to their own internal standard. Control what you can control and don't worry about what you can't control. If they did the little things right and performed well, winning would take care of itself. Of course, it is much easier to take that approach when you have Kareem Abdul-Jabbar or Bill Walton in your lineup. ;)

I totally agree with your statement about Lew & Bill...but remember that he won, to begin, without them...in the interim...and after. People often forget that he had an outstanding record before the national titles came. He continued to teach his philosophy despite the pressure, and then one year the stars lined up. Then came the Lew & Bill years. He laid the foundation long before they showed up. They came to play for him 'because' of what they saw in the program.

Wooden would find out about an academic problem, and the player would be in the bleachers during practice doing homework. I think that you know the stories Kermit...so I won't repeat all of them here...but I love his rule about the scoreboard. If he caught a player looking up at the scoreboard while they were on the court...very soon, they were on the bench. He told them to play the game...and he'd worry about the numbers on the board. His players played relaxed and confident because he took the problems that they couldn't control away from them. Thusly...the Wizard of Westwood.

To me...some of the Wooden elements are a part of the Bison dynasty...whether intended, or not. It's the pure approach to the game. Fundamentals...being relaxed enough to play your game...which leads to a minimum amount of mental mistakes. Physical mistakes were allowed...but mental mistakes were not.

In other words...play with attitude and punish the opponent.

cbline
11-28-2011, 05:46 PM

True about Kareem and Bill, but 10 championships in 12 years?!?!?!? What a run.

Kermit
11-28-2011, 05:55 PM
Just to be clear, I have tremendous respect for John Wooden as a coach and as a man. He is my hero--thus the avatar. :)

CaBisonFan
11-28-2011, 08:12 PM
Just to be clear, I have tremendous respect for John Wooden as a coach and as a man. He is my hero--thus the avatar. :)

I'm the same. #1 hero, outside of my dad, in my lifetime. A teacher, a family man...and one of the greatest coaches to ever live.

CAS4127
11-28-2011, 08:15 PM

What, your sigline means nothing to you?!-->don't diss on Wooden like that!!!!:biggrin: