PDA

View Full Version : Is the football program at a peak in fan interest?

HerdBot
11-26-2011, 01:05 AM
I was thinking back to 06-07-08. Is Bison Football at the peak of its popularity? How much higher can it go?
People here love winners but when winning is seen by many it's even better.

We set a regular season attendance record and after the playoff game we will set a full season attendance record with the possibility of hosting 2 more, 2 possibility on espn.

I remember the 2008 season, homecoming sold out over a month in advance. Didn't see any games self out that quickly this year.

Students seem to be showing up more. Tilting is definitely at an all time high.

Televised games have gone up dramatically

2011- 8 games + 2 on espn 3 + Lafayette in PA (3 national tv)
2010 - 10 games (4 national tv)

Going back to 2004 we only had between 1 and 5 games on TV.

CaBisonFan
11-26-2011, 01:16 AM
Good post. I think that the momentum that 2006 & 2007 created was pretty huge...and our #1 rating going into the 2008 season brought us to the point that you described. There was a lot of name-recognition...especially with Steve Walker & Tyler Roehl...that helped. The 2011 team feels like a team with less superstars. But who can deny names like MWill...among others. If we win our first playoff game and espn is coming to town...watch out. That's when the lid will go off the dome.

tjbison
11-26-2011, 01:19 AM
No, they just néed to complete the puzzle

roadwarrior
11-26-2011, 01:39 AM
Not close to the peak.

HerdBot
11-26-2011, 01:42 AM
Not close to the peak.

So that begs the question... how big can it get? How big can tailgating get?

CaBisonFan
11-26-2011, 02:34 AM
So that begs the question... how big can it get? How big can tailgating get?

OMG...we're almost to the F.. discussion again. I was tempted. Geez

It can get a lot bigger...(don't write it...damn). Why are you tempting me gabe??

But name recognition of the opposition has its limits. Bring a Nebr... (don't write it)...to town and...(don't write it CA)...you could double the size of the FD...easy.

HerdBot
11-26-2011, 02:45 AM
OMG...we're almost to the FBS discussion again. I was tempted. Geez

It can get a lot bigger...(don't write it...damn). Why are you tempting me gabe??

But name recognition of the opposition has its limits. Bring a Nebr... (don't write it)...to town and...(don't write it CA)...you could double the size of the FD...easy.

yeah lets avoid FBS talk. :) how much better can we do? Expand tailgating? Someday see general admission reserved season tickets? All games on FSN? Standing room at every game? Get kids with scholarship offers at other smaller schools to walk on with us?

99Bison
11-26-2011, 03:22 AM
Not close to the peak.

Quoted for accuracy.

CaBisonFan
11-26-2011, 04:01 AM
yeah lets avoid FBS talk. :) how much better can we do? Expand tailgating? Someday see general admission reserved season tickets? All games on FSN? Standing room at every game? Get kids with scholarship offers at other smaller schools to walk on with us?

A national championship or two, or three, would bring a lot more interest from people who aren't really attached to the program yet. ESPN appearances are really special now. Those two elements over a long span of time will label the Bison at thee program in the region. It already is...but more people will grab on.

Consistency in those two areas...magic.

HerdBot
11-26-2011, 04:35 AM
A national championship or two, or three, would bring a lot more interest from people who aren't really attached to the program yet. ESPN appearances are really special now. Those two elements over a long span of time will label the Bison at thee program in the region. It already is...but more people will grab on.

Consistency in those two areas...magic.

I agree. 1 National Championship would be huge. Even winning the conference or consistently making playoff runs would be huge. I would imagine if you are trying to getva stud player from Texas, and tell them to move to North Dakota ; what comes to mind? Cold. Snow. The movie. One would assume our stadium is tiny and were small time. Until they see a sold out rockin dome on ESPN in HD pushing out 108 decibel of noise. That will make an impact. Especially when you can send a recruit a DVD with that.

BTW, the James Madison game is on ESPN U and itsvin HD! Hope our game makes the cut and is in HD! And it would be amazing if its in December and there is no snow!

NDSUBowler
11-26-2011, 04:49 AM
We will get bigger as we (hopefully) make playoffs and deep runs a TRADITION rather than something to look forward to in "up years"...like Bison teams of the past. Each year we make the playoffs, we build more recognition and more fans will come out to support us.

The foundation was laid last year and we are looking to build on it this year. Hopefully each year, we continue with success and earn our right to be called a FCS dynasty.

No need to talk about moving up when there is so much more we can achieve here first.

CaBisonFan
11-26-2011, 05:26 AM
We will get bigger as we (hopefully) make playoffs and deep runs a TRADITION rather than something to look forward to in "up years"...like Bison teams of the past. Each year we make the playoffs, we build more recognition and more fans will come out to support us.

The foundation was laid last year and we are looking to build on it this year. Hopefully each year, we continue with success and earn our right to be called a FCS dynasty.

No need to talk about moving up when there is so much more we can achieve here first.

Yep...it's in the consistency. Playoffs should be a given. Running deep and winning one once in a while should be expected.

jimmyptubas
11-26-2011, 03:33 PM
until they see a sold out rockin dome with brand new, flashy, sweet looking turf on espn in hd pushing out 108 decibel of noise. That will make an impact. Especially when you can send a recruit a dvd with that.

Btw, the james madison game is on espn u and itsvin hd! Hope our game makes the cut and is in hd! And it would be amazing if its in december and there is no snow!

fify^^^^^^^^^^^

semobison
11-26-2011, 04:07 PM
Yep...it's in the consistency. Playoffs should be a given. Running deep and winning one once in a while should be expected.

I transfered to NDSU in the fall of 83! That season is when I became a die-hard Bison fan watching them win the national championship! During the next 6 seasons they won four more and I was spoiled! During the 80's Bison football was the biggest thing in town, and maybe the state! The thing is, the town has gotten much bigger and with continued consistant success so will Bison Football!

Hammerhead
11-26-2011, 04:52 PM
It can get bigger by getting every away game on TV or even getting all the home games on TV when demand for tickets is high enough.

ndsubison1
11-27-2011, 10:05 AM
not even close to our peak. imagine winning multiple national championships and moving up to fbs (not saying i want to) and competing nationally. that would obviously be the peak. hell, i doubt boise is even at their peak yet. theyre joining a better conference and could have a better shot at making the national championship

Herd
11-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Let's be honest, 10-1 in the Great West does not equal 10-1 in the MVFC . . . not even close. Yes, we had a good team in 2006-2007, but we would not have been 10-1 if playing a Valley schedule. Overall depth and talent is peaking now vs then, not taking anything away from Walker who was a wizard.

Fan interest now is greater than 2006-7. Playing for poll postition does not equal playing for titles.