PDA

View Full Version : Bison vs Gophers

BisoninNWMN
11-25-2011, 12:21 PM
Bison start out the dual season with the Gophers.

It would be awesome to beat them in wrestling also, but that will be a huge task. Gophers are loaded this year.

If we win a match or two it would be great. Sprenkle got majored by Sanders so I'm sure he is looking for some payback.

GO BISON

BisoninNWMN
11-27-2011, 11:46 PM
Gophers beat the Bison 29-9, winning 8 of 10 matches.

Steven Monk (157) and Kurtis Julson (174) won their matches.

Sprenkle also got beat 4-2 against Sanders and he is ranked #2.

Looks like the Bison wrestled pretty well today. The Gophers had wrestlers ranked: #2, #3, #3, #5, #6, #8, #13

IMO, Sprenkle and Monk could become NDSU's first D1 All-Americans.

Good job wrestlers.

onbison09
11-28-2011, 12:17 AM
Sprenkle is tough

BisoninNWMN
11-28-2011, 11:44 AM
Sprenkle is tough

Ya, he is.

Thing is, Sanders is as tough as nails and he only lost 4-2. He got majored at the Bison Open 16-7 and now it was 4-2....huge improvement.

There are only 4 home duals this season:(

Nebraska is coming here on 12/18, I want to see this one. They are ranked #21 as of right now. Wyoming is ranked #20 and they are at home on 2/17.

Bison also go to the Virginia duals and Virginia is also ranked. Plus the Las Vegas Invitational and Midland championships....tough schedule for the wrestlers. But that is how the coach should schedule.....wrestling good people only makes you better.

GO BISON

BisoninNWMN
11-29-2011, 02:18 AM
Doesn't anyone follow wrestling on BV?

BlueBisonRock
11-29-2011, 02:41 AM

I follow the comments, but am too far away to get to the meets and make any intellegent comments. Thanks for posting your thoughts and observations. If I can ever talk my spouse into moving back to the true north, I will be a better wrestling follower.

onbison09
11-29-2011, 03:05 AM
I follow the comments, but am too far away to get to the meets and make any intellegent comments. Thanks for posting your thoughts and observations. If I can ever talk my spouse into moving back to the true north, I will be a better wrestling follower.

Yeah I follow the team but I'm too far away to say anything of intelligence really with so few home duals to watch online.

ndsubison1
11-29-2011, 03:12 AM
i want to try and make a meet this season

BadlandsBison
11-29-2011, 03:21 AM
I'll be at the Nebraska dual hopefully

BisoninNWMN
11-29-2011, 12:17 PM

Rochester has a Xmas tourney every year that brings in the best HS wrestling teams. Apple Valley ususally does pretty well there.

Ya, wrestling in not a "glamour" sport but those guys are tough and put a lot of time and effort into their sport.

The Bison are fairly young again this year but to me they are better than in years past.....so far anyway. For example, getting beat by Minnesota 29-9 is pretty good IMO. A few yrs ago we would have lost 40-0 with everyone getting pinned or majored. Now we are "competing" with Minnesota and winning some matches.

IMO, Bison wrestling has the potential to be one of the best sports at NDSU. There are only 9.9 schollies given at the D1 level, and there are many good wrestlers out there. Minnesota and Iowa are to states with good HS wrestling. Not everyone can go to a Big 10 or Big 12 school....plus college wrestling programs are not as numerous as one would think. Many programs have been cut to meet Title IX.

Gophers have taken many ND wrestlers over the years. But hopefully in the future, those kids would stay here and wrestle at NDSU.

Will NDSU ever become a "powerhouse" like OK State - Minnesota - Iowa - Penn State (now with sanderson as coach).....well, probably not a consistent top 5 team but NDSU can become a very good D1 team that has 1 or 2 All-Americans every year with an occasional national champion. Every year there are NCs that come from "smaller" wrestling schools.

IMO, NDSU can become a top-10 wrestling school.

GO BISON

**wish the athletic department would do more "hype" on the Nebraska dual **

BisoninNWMN
11-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Sorry I'm not more tech savy to post a link here.....

Go to theguillotine.com and there are highlights of the Gopher/Bison wrestling match.

You can see the different wrestling styles between the 2 teams. Gophs have a quick, attacking style. A team like Penn State is more of a sit back and counter attack team....

gophersports also might have a highlight video...

calelars24
12-01-2011, 05:45 PM
http://www.theguillotineflo.com/video/521320

nwfan
12-09-2011, 02:31 AM
Yes! We appreciate your comments and information!!!