PDA

View Full Version : The Running of Sam Ojuri - the Path to Frisco

CaBisonFan
11-25-2011, 02:48 AM
The SamJ Factor
This playoff season depends on the running of Sam Ojuri...and obviously...the offensive line's blocking. We must run the ball and keep the ball.

The DJ Factor
What about DJ you say? He will do his best, considering his physical condition. Anything that we get from him will be a bonus. For example...the little flair and screen passes. We need DJ to produce here...to make something out of nothing, and to create a few unimaginable plays.

The LangJ Factor
Derrick Lang needs to have some important carries throughout the game. He's about attitude. He is the battering ram...something that opposing defenses won't be ready for. I don't expect him to play...but I wish that he would. He's tough...and he refuses to go down.

The Outcome
If the above happens...I'll meet you in Fricso. If not...I'll wait until next year. The defense will come stoked. If they get some rest...they'll dominate.

devin45k
11-25-2011, 03:23 AM
I knew that Ojuri was going to be really good but he has exceeded my expectations this year. He has been a star in our backfield this year. It is good to see we have someone else to rely on after Mcnorton leaves.

Mcnorton has developed into a great running back over the years. This year he has regressed at certain points. I don't know if it's from being banged up or what. He is still better than a lot of the other running backs I have seen us play in the FCS.

CaBisonFan
11-25-2011, 03:38 AM
I knew that Ojuri was going to be really good but he has exceeded my expectations this year. He has been a star in our backfield this year. It is good to see we have someone else to rely on after Mcnorton leaves.

Mcnorton has developed into a great running back over the years. This year he has regressed at certain points. I don't know if it's from being banged up or what. He is still better than a lot of the other running backs I have seen us play in the FCS.

DJ brings an unusual style to the game...unlike any back that I've seen at the collegiate level lately. I call it slithering. He moves the chains when he's on his game. He's close to breaking it on most of his runs. I've been a huge fan of his since we first saw his high school highlight vids. IMO...he's been unable to play his usual game simply because of injuries. He's been a warrior, and hasn't made excuses. This...in itself...has made him a leader...big-time. Pure class.

I really think that DJ would have a lot of PT in any program in the ncaa...any. We've been very lucky to have him in the green & gold.

CaBisonFan
11-25-2011, 03:45 AM
Rams...please be ready to dominate.

devin45k
11-25-2011, 03:51 AM
DJ brings an unusual style to the game...unlike any back that I've seen at the collegiate level lately. I call it slithering. He moves the chains when he's on his game. He's close to breaking it on most of his runs. I've been a huge fan of his since we first saw his high school highlight vids. IMO...he's been unable to play his usual game simply because of injuries. He's been a warrior, and hasn't made excuses. This...in itself...has made him a leader...big-time. Pure class.

I really think that DJ would have a lot of PT in any program in the ncaa...any. We've been very lucky to have him in the green & gold.

He has definitely improved his style since he first came to NDSU. I remember the criticism he used to get because he would dance in the backfield too much. He definitely finds the holes better now and finds his spots in the field. I am assuming it's both maturity and improved vision. Every year he has improved with it.

Snowgoose
11-26-2011, 01:40 PM
I was going to harp on that I really don't like DJ's running this year and that overall he has been an okay back (NDSU's standards only here) with the exception of last years playoff run, but I read this statement yesterday in a book made by Bill Walsh "Don't tell me what a player can't do. Show me what he can do and we'll utilize his strengths."

What DJ excels at is really being a third down back. He is a great blocker and is excellent at the screen/swing pass out of the backfield. I believe if given the right opportunity to excel as a third down back he may have a shot at the next level. If i was him or his agent I would push that fact and the fact that he is a team player that will help in any way possible to win (ie. play linebacker if need to be during freshman year).

semobison
11-26-2011, 03:57 PM
In DJ's defense I believe he has been playing at less than 100% most of the season! He is a senior and I believe he has been playing in pain and just toughing it out! This buy week may be the best thing for DJ to get healed up! Dont be suprised if he comes up big in the playoffs....again!

herdmember
11-26-2011, 04:28 PM
In DJ's defense I believe he has been playing at less than 100% most of the season! He is a senior and I believe he has been playing in pain and just toughing it out! This buy week may be the best thing for DJ to get healed up! Dont be suprised if he comes up big in the playoffs....again!

Agreed, everyone always love the backup. DJ is solid and a complete back. I believe Ojuri is a stud as well, but isn't it funny that there wasn't a word said on this site when Ojuri got stuffed on short yardage in the Western Illinois game? When this happened to DJ, its because of his running style and its time for the backup. Enjoy the rest of the year with this terrific 2 headed monster. Enjoy DJs running, screen catching, pass blocking, and receiving ability and this offseason we'll have plenty of time to figure out who will join Ojuri for next year's 2 headed monster.

DJ hasn't had the long runs this year, but its not like he has been terrible. He's averaging almost 5 yards per carry, without the advantage of playing against St. Francis. If he's doing that at less than full speed, then he must be all world when 100%.

CaBisonFan
11-26-2011, 05:11 PM
Agreed, everyone always love the backup. DJ is solid and a complete back. I believe Ojuri is a stud as well, but isn't it funny that there wasn't a word said on this site when Ojuri got stuffed on short yardage in the Western Illinois game? When this happened to DJ, its because of his running style and its time for the backup. Enjoy the rest of the year with this terrific 2 headed monster. Enjoy DJs running, screen catching, pass blocking, and receiving ability and this offseason we'll have plenty of time to figure out who will join Ojuri for next year's 2 headed monster.

DJ hasn't had the long runs this year, but its not like he has been terrible. He's averaging almost 5 yards per carry, without the advantage of playing against St. Francis. If he's doing that at less than full speed, then he must be all world when 100%.

I'm as big a fan of DJ as you'll ever find. He's been hurt...that's all...and that's what this thread is partly about. I believe that Sam will have to be the feature back if we're going to make a run at the NC. DJ...in his condition...will need to help out in the passing game mostly. He'll play in the OL if the team needs him.

DJ is a special player with some unique abilities. I hope that he's healthy enough to be the #1 back. Our chances would improve greatly if that were true.

Bisonguy
11-26-2011, 05:22 PM

++

It was the same thing before with Voigt. People thought he should start because all they would remember is one big run where he hit the hole fast, but forgot about all the runs for one yard or negative yards where he ran into the back of the O line.

We have some unique weapons in the backfield. I hope they're all utilized.

CAS4127
11-26-2011, 05:30 PM
The way DJ was running at the end of last year he was as good or better RB as anyone in college FB--even TJones who was drafted by OAKLAND in 4th I believe. He has not been that same back since the Layfette game. He is hurt and, but for this being his Sr year, we would not be seeing near as much of him.

CaBisonFan
11-26-2011, 05:41 PM
++

It was the same thing before with Voigt. People thought he should start because all they would remember is one big run where he hit the hole fast, but forgot about all the runs for one yard or negative yards where he ran into the back of the O line.

We have some unique weapons in the backfield. I hope they're all utilized.

Different situation totally. DJ has been hurt...and if he wasn't, he'd be the obvious #1 back. That is all.

semobison
12-04-2011, 04:47 AM

Proving to be a big game player!!

NDSUstudent
12-04-2011, 04:50 AM
The way DJ was running at the end of last year he was as good or better RB as anyone in college FB--even TJones who was drafted by OAKLAND in 4th I believe. He has not been that same back since the Layfette game. He is hurt and, but for this being his Sr year, we would not be seeing near as much of him.

Guess what CAS? DJ is back in playoff beast mode again!

1998braves64
12-04-2011, 04:56 AM
He still looked a bit tentative in the first quarter but after he warmed up he seemed to do great! That 60 yarder was a beauty to watch especially since it looked like it was going to be a 5 yards play and he was able to stiff arm the defender off of him before he got pushed out of bounds and then turn on the afterburners plus got a little help by a great sideblock (what is the correct terminology for a block like that?) by one of the receivers!

bri-dog
12-04-2011, 05:04 AM
He still looked a bit tentative in the first quarter but after he warmed up he seemed to do great! That 60 yarder was a beauty to watch especially since it looked like it was going to be a 5 yards play and he was able to stiff arm the defender off of him before he got pushed out of bounds and then turn on the afterburners plus got a little help by a great sideblock (what is the correct terminology for a block like that?) by one of the receivers!

An ass-kickin'. That's all I have to say about that. [/Forrest Gump]

DjKyRo
12-04-2011, 05:05 AM
It did look like DJ was, in general, hitting the holes with more devotion and that helped him have a big day. Even without the 60-yarder, he still had 90 yards with nitty-gritty rushing against the top defense in the CAA. Not bad at all. JMU had previously held teams to 97 yards per game rushing. :)

1998braves64
12-04-2011, 05:12 AM
An ass-kickin'. That's all I have to say about that. [/Forrest Gump]

No that was when the bison player used his blocker as a flying torpedo to take down their kick returner on I believe it was a punt? That was a total opening a can o' whoop A** (urm maybe I shouldn't say that phrase it's kind of dated) there.

bri-dog
12-04-2011, 05:19 AM
No that was when the bison player used his blocker as a flying torpedo to take down their kick returner on I believe it was a punt? That was a total opening a can o' whoop A** (urm maybe I shouldn't say that phrase it's kind of dated) there.

Kickoff, I think. And yes, that was AWESOME...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2RiI9v3io4

AjaxTheMighty
12-04-2011, 08:35 AM
This thread has it all wrong. This ENTIRE post season should be about DJ, with a little of SO in the mix. Give the ball to your senior playmaker. End of story. Tonight DJ looked like the DJ we all have watched the past two seasons. Our post season hopes ride on his back. Sam has a lot to learn to keep up with a healthy DJ McNorton.

gizmo
12-04-2011, 12:00 PM
So, DJ is hurt and they're playing him on kick returns? Either the "hurt" thing is bs or the coaches are making a terrible decision with that.

DJ is a great running back but something is amiss with him this year. What I see is a changed running style from DJ in that he's become more a sprinter than a powerful, unpredictable and elusive runner. Is it injury, blocking or play calling, I don't know? There's a lot of hesitation and dancing in the backfield plus an inability to cut upfield....kind of like watching Adrian Peterson until he busts a big one and then all is forgiven.

JSUBison
12-04-2011, 02:07 PM
So, DJ is hurt and they're playing him on kick returns? Either the "hurt" thing is bs or the coaches are making a terrible decision with that.

DJ is a great running back but something is amiss with him this year. What I see is a changed running style from DJ in that he's become more a sprinter than a powerful, unpredictable and elusive runner. Is it injury, blocking or play calling, I don't know? There's a lot of hesitation and dancing in the backfield plus an inability to cut upfield....kind of like watching Adrian Peterson until he busts a big one and then all is forgiven.

That is a very good point which I had totally missed.

Tatanka
12-04-2011, 02:10 PM
That is a very good point which I had totally missed.. With Smith out that was the best option. Also coach said DJ is 100%. IMHO he's 100% of 85% at best but that still puts him at better than most backs in fcs.

A1pigskin
12-04-2011, 02:13 PM
Dj came up with some key plays yesterday. Coach said he was playing at 80%. That extra 20% sounded good yesterday.

JSUBison
12-04-2011, 02:17 PM
. With Smith out that was the best option. Also coach said DJ is 100%. IMHO he's 100% of 85% at best but that still puts him at better than most backs in fcs.

Understood, but DJ has been back on PR prior to the JMU game as well, before Smith being out.

unbison
12-04-2011, 05:10 PM
I don't understand everyone's concern about our studs returning punts and kicks I don't know if I have ever saw a return
Man hurt