PDA

View Full Version : USD's Ed Meierkort Fired

Jay
11-22-2011, 10:05 PM
TerryVandrovec (https://twitter.com/#%21/TerryVandrovec) Terry Vandrovec

RT @mickgarry (https://twitter.com/#%21/mickgarry): Ed Meierkort will have no comment on his removal as USD football coach today, he said, other than to confirm he's been fired.

NDSUstudent
11-22-2011, 10:06 PM
Wow, didn't see that coming.

They should call Glenn Caruso at St. Thomas immediately.

Ross
11-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Kind of a dick move by USD isn't it? Coaches them all the way through their transition period and then gets the ax at the end of it. Although, if the Yotes would have beaten teh university of teh buthockies he might still have a job.

HandoEX
11-22-2011, 10:13 PM
Definately unexpected! Wonder where he'll end up?

mango
11-22-2011, 10:13 PM
Kind of a dick move by USD isn't it? Coaches them all the way through their transition period and then gets the ax at the end of it. Although, if the Yotes would have beaten teh university of teh buthockies he might still have a job.

Heck, if the Yotes were half as decent on the road as they are at home, he would still be there. USD was absolutely terrible on the road under him.

DjKyRo
11-22-2011, 10:14 PM
There has to be more to this. Led them through transition pretty respectably, notched a win over Minnesota last season, finished 6-5 this year. If average records in transition were fire-worthy, Mussman would've been gone a while ago. I'm interested to see how this plays out.

Tatanka
11-22-2011, 10:16 PM

Assistant to an assistant coach at NDSU, with a pay raise to boot?

Seriously though. A bit unexpected, but this is a clear signal from USD that they're serious about competing. I like it.
That and Ed was kind of a whiny bitch. Remember the kerfluffles about NDSU's recruiting?

Tatanka
11-22-2011, 10:18 PM
There has to be more to this. Led them through transition pretty respectably, notched a win over Minnesota last season, finished 6-5 this year. If average records in transition were fire-worthy, Mussman would've been gone a while ago. I'm interested to see how this plays out.

Depends on the institution and their commitment to excellence. Wouldn't have necessarily expected this from USD but this appears to me as if they want no part in being the doormats of the MVFC.

Mussman is perfect for UND IMHO. Do the math :)

Mr. Burgundy
11-22-2011, 10:19 PM

Guys, he gave up a 20 point lead to UND. Do you know how hard that is? It would be like SDSU playing against Montana in the playoffs and.....nevermind. Yeah, he should get fired. He isn't getting it done, and they are now finally in a legit conference and have a chance to hire a real coach. Fire him and sign Mussman to a lifetime deal.

Tatanka
11-22-2011, 10:21 PM
Guys, he gave up a 20 point lead to UND. Do you know how hard that is? It would be like SDSU playing against Montana in the playoffs and.....nevermind. Yeah, he should get fired. He isn't getting it done, and they are now finally in a legit conference and have a chance to hire a real coach. Fire him and sign Mussman to a lifetime deal.

Well put.

CAS4127
11-22-2011, 10:23 PM
Yes!! Perfect fit and timing!! And I am not talkin Mussman!!

DjKyRo
11-22-2011, 10:26 PM
Interesting tweet from KELO's David Brown.

Just interviewed David Sayler about Meierkort not being renewed...claimed it had nothing to do with on-field performance.

Tatanka
11-22-2011, 10:32 PM

Well then, that would be different. Perhaps USD isn't as ballsy as I thought.

Mr. Burgundy
11-22-2011, 10:43 PM
It would be funny if Ed came out and said..."I don't handle personell decisions" like Stig did.

TheBisonator
11-22-2011, 11:18 PM

"That's what you get for screwin' around with my wife!" -David Sayler

jack power
11-22-2011, 11:25 PM
It would be funny if Ed came out and said..."I don't handle personell decisions" like Stig did.
Your obsession with SDSU and our coaches in particular, is really bizarre.

BadlandsBison
11-22-2011, 11:27 PM

He just likes making fun of their multiple mistakes :)

Notorious
11-22-2011, 11:28 PM

It's because your coaches are douche bags....

mango
11-22-2011, 11:35 PM

Their AD apparently said that there was some academic and off-field issues he wasn't comfortable with. Didn't see the interview, just saw someone posted that on the SDSU board.

Tatanka
11-22-2011, 11:50 PM
And yet sdsu is still able to bury their turds (or do they eat them) and stig gets a free pass ?

mango
11-23-2011, 12:01 AM
And yet sdsu is still able to bury their turds (or do they eat them) and stig gets a free pass ?

If it was up to me, he'd be gone. Unfortunately, it's not up to me. Too many dumb mistakes, both in recruiting and who got playing time, that have hurt the program and it's been costly the last two years.

ndsubison1
11-23-2011, 12:02 AM
he must not be a good hunter

JSUBison
11-23-2011, 12:37 AM
Well if it wasn't coaching and it really was other off field stuff, makes it seem like they were at the least comfortable how Ed has done thus far. Makes me wonder if USD is destined to become a MVFC version of Northern Colorado and be the league doormat. UNC hired what's his face, Collins I think from Alcorn State. I said it when they announced it was a bad hire, and after an 0-11 season still maintain that. Really interesting to see what happens at USD now, it really is sink or swim time.

Tatanka
11-23-2011, 12:44 AM
If it was up to me, he'd be gone. Unfortunately, it's not up to me. Too many dumb mistakes, both in recruiting and who got playing time, that have hurt the program and it's been costly the last two years.

I hear you mango. Actually I was referring to the unnatural ability to bury off-the-field issues to key players that SDSU and Stig seems to possess. I'm still in awe. I do find it a bit ironic that SDSU fans are calling out USD's issues.

PierreYote
11-23-2011, 12:46 AM
I hear you mango. Actually I was referring to the unnatural ability to bury off-the-field issues to key players that SDSU and Stig seems to possess. I'm still in awe. I do find it a bit ironic that SDSU fans are calling out USD's issues.

That's what happens when your team beat writer is also a fanboy of the team.

mango
11-23-2011, 12:47 AM

Oh good lord :facepalm:

Notorious
11-23-2011, 12:50 AM
THE Tatanka doesn't pull any punches...

http://www.wiinintendo.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/fanboy-480x600.png

mango
11-23-2011, 12:50 AM

I really wish the reason TOB quit would come out. There is a reason that he quit and many people know why (including several on this board), just no one is saying it for some reason. Truthfully, I'm glad he's gone, let Sumner come in and we really got a good luck at what he is capable of.

I really don't know what USD's issues are (don't really pay that close of attention to them) but I was just going off what their AD said. Who knows the real reason he was let go though.

PierreYote
11-23-2011, 12:51 AM
Oh good lord :facepalm:

Mango, I like TV. He does a great job. He is a wonderful writer and a very hard worker. However, I have never seen a team beat writer be so "soft" on the team he/she covers. Michael Wilbon was to MJ as TV is to the Jacks.

tjbison
11-23-2011, 12:53 AM
Very poor timing, going into the Full Valley Schedule with a new coach, new scheme etc.....yep welcome to #10 in the league standing

SDSUAlum08
11-23-2011, 12:54 AM

Like what? Because TOB quit the team? I know why TOB quit, but it doesn't need to become public knowledge. What other things have SDSU players done? All teams have off the field and academic issues. It's the reason SDSU was so bad this year because of their attrition. Not mad here, but could you add onto your post.

aces1180
11-23-2011, 01:00 AM
Mango, I like TV. He does a great job. He is a wonderful writer and a very hard worker. However, I have never seen a team beat writer be so "soft" on the team he/she covers. Michael Wilbon was to MJ as TV is to the Jacks.

I know of one...Brad Elliot Schlossman...Grand Forks Herald.

CAS4127
11-23-2011, 01:01 AM
Like what? Because TOB quit the team? I know why TOB quit, but it doesn't need to become public knowledge. What other things have SDSU players done? All teams have off the field and academic issues. It's the reason SDSU was so bad this year because of their attrition. Not mad here, but could you add onto your post.

Don't u have some winter workouts and recruiting to attend to?!!

TheBisonator
11-23-2011, 01:10 AM
THE Tatanka doesn't pull any punches...

http://www.wiinintendo.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/fanboy-480x600.png

Did someone say Fanboy??

http://img.poptower.com/pic-14580/fanboy.jpg?d=600

Tatanka
11-23-2011, 01:12 AM

All I'm saying is with all of the holier than thou crap ("we recruit the right kind of kids" "we take the time to make sure we know the kids we recruit" etc.) that spewed from Brookings the year NDSU had its issues it's especially interesting to me to see SDSU able to absolutely bury its own issues when it has them and the overall atmosphere of ignorance / denial. Not a personal vendetta against you or mango or anyone in particular, I just find the set of facts and circumstances ironic.

NDSU's dirty laundry when it occurs is aired almost immediately (and with a touch of glee if you ask me) by the local press. The Bison don't have the luxury of deciding what should/should not be public knowledge.

You're right, all teams have the issues. It's refreshing to hear that. Overall I hold SDSU and its fans in very high regard. This part of the story though, not so much.

Tatanka
11-23-2011, 01:13 AM
I know of one...Brad Elliot Schlossman...Grand Forks Herald.

I think you could just say SELECT * FROM [Grand Forks Herald].

SDSUAlum08
11-23-2011, 01:20 AM
All I'm saying is with all of the holier than thou crap ("we recruit the right kind of kids" "we take the time to make sure we know the kids we recruit" etc.) that spewed from Brookings the year NDSU had its issues it's especially interesting to me to see SDSU able to absolutely bury its own issues when it has them and the overall atmosphere of ignorance / denial. Not a personal vendetta against you or mango or anyone in particular, I just find the set of facts and circumstances ironic.

NDSU's dirty laundry when it occurs is aired almost immediately (and with a touch of glee if you ask me) by the local press. The Bison don't have the luxury of deciding what should/should not be public knowledge.

You're right, all teams have the issues. It's refreshing to hear that. Overall I hold SDSU and its fans in very high regard. This part of the story though, not so much.

Fair enough. I was wondering if there was something I was missing through these blue and yellow glasses I'm wearing.

BisoninNWMN
11-23-2011, 01:25 AM
Very poor timing, going into the Full Valley Schedule with a new coach, new scheme etc.....yep welcome to #10 in the league standing

100% correct!!

USD will be a doormat for some time in the Valley. What did they have against Illinois State....108 yards of total offense?

IMO, they will never be a consistent contender for the MV title....maybe a year here and there but that is it.

jacksfan29
11-23-2011, 01:35 AM
It's because your coaches are douche bags....

That's an intelligent post...

jacksfan29
11-23-2011, 01:40 AM

Isn't USD 10-23 against D1 competition since moving up? Why the hell would anyone be a fan of a team that can only win against NAIA and D2 schools? I'm not a big fan of some NDSU posters but come on, USD and UND both have something in common. They seem to believe that a winning record, against no name non-D1 schools equals a successful transition.

PierreYote
11-23-2011, 01:47 AM
Isn't USD 10-23 against D1 competition since moving up? Why the hell would anyone be a fan of a team that can only win against NAIA and D2 schools? I'm not a big fan of some NDSU posters but come on, USD and UND both have something in common. They seem to believe that a winning record, against no name non-D1 schools equals a successful transition.

Never said it was a successful transition. They can go 0-11 and I would still be a fan. Heck, I would be a fan if they NEVER had a single playoff victory in the 100 year history of the football program.

TheBisonator
11-23-2011, 02:12 AM
100% correct!!

USD will be a doormat for some time in the Valley. What did they have against Illinois State....108 yards of total offense?

IMO, they will never be a consistent contender for the MV title....maybe a year here and there but that is it.

USD will probably do worse in the MVFC than they did in the NCC before the exodus.

Facts
11-23-2011, 02:19 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/52/Meerkat_Manor_book.jpg/220px-Meerkat_Manor_book.jpg
Home of the Meierkat.

Tatanka
11-23-2011, 02:21 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/52/Meerkat_Manor_book.jpg/220px-Meerkat_Manor_book.jpg
Home of the Meierkat.

mad I didn't think of this first. :rofl::rofl:

Facts
11-23-2011, 02:27 AM
mad I didn't think of this first. :rofl::rofl:
Tis a rarity!

perthbison
11-23-2011, 02:47 AM
I think you could just say SELECT * FROM [Grand Forks Herald].Yeah, no sh-t.

Mr. Burgundy
11-23-2011, 03:52 AM
USD will probably do worse in the MVFC than they did in the NCC before the exodus.

Why is this a negative for USD? They are a horrible football team that just completed a transition.....a horrible transition. If it weren't for Non D1 games, their record would be laughable. They have wanted to dump this guy for a while, but why do it during a transition when you are playing a 5 team conference. Now they are in position to hire a legit coach going into a legit conference. It wasn't like they are setting the world on fire in recruiting. I bet they move pretty quick on a new staff. When you lose to UND, it can't get worse, so why not make a change.

NDSUstudent
11-23-2011, 03:55 AM
Why is this a negative for USD? They are a horrible football team that just completed a transition.....a horrible transition. If it weren't for Non D1 games, their record would be laughable. They have wanted to dump this guy for a while, but why do it during a transition when you are playing a 5 team conference. Now they are in position to hire a legit coach going into a legit conference. It wasn't like they are setting the world on fire in recruiting. I bet they move pretty quick on a new staff. When you lose to UND, it can't get worse, so why not make a change.

Definitely agree, now is the time to change directions. The program is in a decent spot and the right hire could take them to another level. Their now ex-coach had proven that he can't take them any higher. UND should be doing the same thing...but what do I know, I hope Muss gets a lifetime deal. ;);)

ndsubison1
11-23-2011, 04:13 AM
usd wants new blood and their only accolades are the wins vs. minnesota and somewhat eastern washington. other then that theyve done pretty poorily. they were 4-7 last season and 6-5 this year with what was supposed to be a pretty decent squad and decent QB.

Herd
11-23-2011, 11:08 AM
I have to believe that USD is taking a positive step for its future. If USD was going into the same conference as UND, we would be able to clearly see the results of the move in the future. But Big Sky not equal to MVFC imo. The are some tough teams at the top of the Sky, 2 or 3 in a given year, but there are also lots of winnable games. No easy games in the MVFC save 1-2 in a given year.

NorthernBison
11-23-2011, 12:38 PM
usd wants new blood and their only accolades are the wins vs. minnesota and somewhat eastern washington. other then that theyve done pretty poorily. they were 4-7 last season and 6-5 this year with what was supposed to be a pretty decent squad and decent QB.

I am too lazy to go looking for it but, I read on another board that this Coyote team had a lot of Seniors (23?) and there could be a real drop in performance next season. If true, the MVFC will treat them rudely.

Tatanka
11-23-2011, 01:52 PM
I am too lazy to go looking for it but, I read on another board that this Coyote team had a lot of Seniors (23?) and there could be a real drop in performance next season. If true, the MVFC will treat them rudely.

One could say the MVFC will treat them rudely regardless.

344Johnson
11-23-2011, 01:53 PM
The whioux fans on SS think he was doing a good job....? Are they stupid? He never did much for that program. In his defense, no one has done much with that program since the mid-80's but his DI record could not be ignored. Not to mention that he blew a 20 point lead to UND, a team that isn't aware that you are allowed to throw a ball past the line of scrimmage.

Tatanka
11-23-2011, 02:01 PM
The whioux fans on SS think he was doing a good job....? Are they stupid?

Young man, you've answered your own questions. Please review.

Bison Dan
11-23-2011, 02:12 PM
The whioux fans on SS think he was doing a good job....? Are they stupid?

If Meierkort gets fired what about Muss? Oh that's right "coach of the year" That's why ss thinks he's going a good job.

Tatanka
11-23-2011, 02:22 PM
If Meierkort gets fired what about Muss? Oh that's right "coach of the year" That's why ss thinks he's going a good job.

The real fans know better.

cbline
11-23-2011, 02:53 PM
The real fans know better.

I agree, but many REAL und football fans are there?

Facts
11-23-2011, 03:23 PM
I agree, but many REAL und football fans are there?

Buthockey, lest we forget.

BisoninNWMN
11-23-2011, 03:30 PM

Ya!

23 seniors this year. With all that supposed "senior" leadership, I thought they would have performed much better.

A Valley schedule and a FBS game....plus they probably do not want to schedule non-counter games (D2)...they are going to have a rough time of it in the Valley. IMO, they will be on par with Missouri State.

MN_BISON
11-23-2011, 05:59 PM
Not to side track this thread but I heard from a little birdie that Ed's wife is somewhat relieved their days in Vermtown are over. The birdie told me she was getting tired of making all those damn PB&J's for their cross country road trips on the old Grey Hound; they always do things first class at the 605. A secret wish of hers and Big Ed is that HBO will bring back the Sapranos because they've been pressing the writers to create a long lost twin of Paulie "Walnuts" Gualtieri becasue they think he'd fit the role like a glove. Good luck Big Eddie or should I just say fugetaboutit!!

Grizzled
11-23-2011, 06:49 PM

The media in Fargo only reports what they can get by public record. Trust me, there is more that they don't report and our coaches don't let out. I wouldn't be puffing our chest to much. Coach Bohl and the coaches do a pretty good job at keeping things out of the public.

abc123
11-23-2011, 07:11 PM
The whioux fans on SS think he was doing a good job....? Are they stupid? He never did much for that program. In his defense, no one has done much with that program since the mid-80's but his DI record could not be ignored. Not to mention that he blew a 20 point lead to UND, a team that isn't aware that you are allowed to throw a ball past the line of scrimmage.

As some others stated, there seems to be more to it than on-field performance (USD has indicated it as well). I don't anyone was thinking he was a world class coach, but he definitely did more with that program than anyone else has in the previous 20+ years. They had 11 losing seasons in the previous 15 before he was hired and only 1 in the 8 he was there. The problem was that he couldn't win on the road consistently for whatever reason.

PS - Goska averaged more yards passing the last 5 games (starting with the one he was put in a little less than halfway through) than any 5 game stretch for Brock Jensen this year.

NDSUstudent
11-23-2011, 07:20 PM
PS - Goska averaged more yards passing the last 5 games (starting with the one he was put in a little less than halfway through) than any 5 game stretch for Brock Jensen this year.

Jensen actually plays against decent teams, no team UND played in the last five games would finish higher than 6th in the MVFC. I'd love to see what he would do against the weaklings UND has played the past five games.

Tatanka
11-23-2011, 07:25 PM
The media in Fargo only reports what they can get by public record. Trust me, there is more that they don't report and our coaches don't let out. I wouldn't be puffing our chest to much. Coach Bohl and the coaches do a pretty good job at keeping things out of the public.

Understood completely.

Facts
11-23-2011, 07:26 PM
As some others stated, there seems to be more to it than on-field performance (USD has indicated it as well). I don't anyone was thinking he was a world class coach, but he definitely did more with that program than anyone else has in the previous 20+ years. They had 11 losing seasons in the previous 15 before he was hired and only 1 in the 8 he was there. The problem was that he couldn't win on the road consistently for whatever reason.

Against the best diaa/naia/d2 defenses in the land (poly, norcol, sfc, dav, and usd). Is he on the heisman watch?

abc123
11-23-2011, 07:28 PM
Jensen actually plays against decent teams, no team UND played in the last five games would finish higher than 6th in the MVFC. I'd love to see what he would do against the weaklings UND has played the past five games.

Didn't say that NDSU didn't have a harder schedule. All I was doing was pointing out that UND's averaged more yards passing once they switched QB's than any 5 game stretch for Jensen. Someone said UND was unaware of the forward pass, I was merely pointing out that they were and comparing it to Jensen (note that I think that Jensen was the better QB, his accuracy the beginning of the year was unreal).

Hambone
11-23-2011, 07:39 PM

Well, UND92,96 on SS (who I have a lot of respect for as a poster) noted that a couple sources have stated that USD caused some significant damage to the visitors locker room after the game in the Alerus. If true, and I'm not saying it is, then maybe that had something to do with his dismissal as well.

zooropa
11-23-2011, 07:42 PM

Okay, let's assemble a quick list of sports reporters in the Dakotas that have penned an exposé on a respected former AD:

1 - Vandrovec on Fred Oien.

2 - ?

---

And two more items to remember:

- Gannett policy prohibits the use of anonymous sources. AFAIK, Forum Communications has no similar policy in place.

- Getting blotter information from SD police departments is next to impossible.

To the extent that this keeps stuff 'under wraps', well there's not much TV can do, is there?

He can't write, "Certain sources close to the SDSU soccer team report that a Monday night party to kick off Hobo Week got out of hand and resulted in seven suspensions..." Nor can he state, "At 11:30 Monday night, police were called to the off campus apartment of a SDSU soccer player, which resulted in...."

---

Finally, TV's a journalist, not a commentator. It's not his job to question the coaching and personnel moves at SDSU.

The guy's a pro.

Buthockey
11-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Didn't say that NDSU didn't have a harder schedule. All I was doing was pointing out that UND's averaged more yards passing once they switched QB's than any 5 game stretch for Jensen. Someone said UND was unaware of the forward pass, I was merely pointing out that they were and comparing it to Jensen (note that I think that Jensen was the better QB, his accuracy the beginning of the year was unreal).
Heard the hockey team scored 10 times in a game against GFRR JV. Can you confirm eh?

BisoninNWMN
11-23-2011, 08:28 PM
Heard the hockey team scored 10 times in a game against GFRR JV. Can you confirm eh?

Bemidji just shut out UND on sunday 1-0. UND is going to be under .500 this year....:biggrin:

Mr. Burgundy
11-23-2011, 09:06 PM

If we had to come from behind against UNC and then Sioux Falls in back to back weeks and kick game winning field goals, I am pretty sure we would remember that, and we would have some concerns on our coaching staff. The "average" fans and their homer beat writers just see an 8-3 record. Which is great. I was happier than Mussman when they named him Coach of the Year. If that gives them stability and he stays there, we are all winners.

Mr. Burgundy
11-23-2011, 09:09 PM

UND got better at passing because they benched a kid who had 27 interceptions in his one year of JUCO ball but somehow thought that translated well into being a D1 quarterback. I am sure he will be better next year though.

CAS4127
11-23-2011, 09:19 PM
UND got better at passing because they benched a kid who had 27 interceptions in his one year of JUCO ball but somehow thought that translated well into being a D1 quarterback. I am sure he will be better next year though.

I think it was Lou Holtz who took his starting QB aside during two-a-days and told him, "Son, you know what, you are not gonna throw 7 interceptions this year". When the QB asked how Holtz could believe such a thing, he asked-->Holtz's response: "Because I am going to bench you after your 6th interception"!

Even Answer Guy might have figured that one out!!

The Sports Block
11-23-2011, 09:25 PM
From Mick Garry's Twitter: "Offensive coordinator Wes Beschorner will be the Coyotes' interim coach; says he's also interested in the permanent job."

ndsubison1
11-23-2011, 11:50 PM

brock also plays in a west coast offense and has 11 td (i know isnt much) but 2 INT. and 9-1 with a 2 seed and MVC championship :D

Tatanka
11-24-2011, 01:34 AM
Finally, TV's a journalist, not a commentator. It's not his job to question the coaching and personnel moves at SDSU.

The guy's a pro.

Dude. Your definition of a journalist and mine are probably 180 degrees different. It's exactly his job to question the coaching and personnel moves at SDSU and to ask the hard question, digging into available information when necessary. Unless he's just a commentator, then he can simply parrot what he's told.

CAS4127
11-24-2011, 01:36 AM
Editorial-->just sayin'!

zooropa
11-24-2011, 05:23 AM
ask the hard question

At the press conference, yes. On the phone and in person, yes. In the articles he writes, absolutely not.

I know that TV asked Stig about starting TOB over Sumner more than once. Having gotten Stig's answers to those questions, it's his responsibility to pass those answers on to the reader without editorializing on them.

herdmember
11-25-2011, 07:23 PM
I thought I remember hearing that the OC at USD is Ryan Smiths brother in law...is that true?

roadwarrior
11-25-2011, 07:48 PM
I thought I remember hearing that the OC at USD is Ryan Smiths brother in law...is that true?

That is correct. He was named the interim head coach at USD a couple of days ago.

WYOBISONMAN
11-29-2011, 04:18 AM

Shit.......Sioux fans get a woody over beating Sioux Falls!!

The Sports Block
12-04-2011, 04:39 AM
Jeremy Hoeck @jhoeck, Asst Sports Editor at the Yankton (S.D.) Press and Dakotan on Twitter:

- A few people have now told me USD has apparently found its next football coach. Nothing official, working on tracking it down.

Tatanka
12-04-2011, 05:04 PM
USD's new head coach.........Joe Glenn. Yep, that Joe Glenn.

Don't know how "powder river, let 'er buck" will translate to the yotes, but that thar is an upgrade at head coach.

HandoEX
12-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Sounds like a great hire for USD! Glenn should do well there...well, as well as a crappy university like USD can.

WYOBISONMAN
12-04-2011, 07:19 PM
Great hire......Joe Glenn is a great guy. Wasn't cut out to coach in the Mountain West, but ought to do well at USD.

JSUBison
12-04-2011, 07:22 PM
Has to make bunny fans a bit nervous. Glenn will probably win recruiting battles against sdsu that ed couldn't.

JackJD
12-04-2011, 07:51 PM
Here's the story in the Argus Leader.
http://www.argusleader.com/article/20111204/SPORTS/111204002/Joe-Glenn-named-USD-football-coach-Monday?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Home

That's a good hire for USD.

Has to make bunny fans a bit nervous. Glenn will probably win recruiting battles against sdsu that ed couldn't.

No, he probably won't.

Bison bison
12-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Great news for the Yotes.

Can't help but think that this hire considered in tandem with letting Meerkat go.

JackJD
12-04-2011, 07:57 PM
Many Jackrabbits are watching to see the financial package offered to Glenn. I hope its a big step up because that may have (should have) some impact on what SDSU is paying coaches.

KTF
12-04-2011, 09:06 PM
Is this the DC Bohl fired a few years ago? I don't recall what his name was?

ISXBISON
12-04-2011, 09:13 PM

No, I think you're talking about Mike Breske

tony
12-04-2011, 09:22 PM

No, that guy is at Montana now.

Anyway, that is quite a blow to UND because I think they had their eye on Glenn to replace whoever there coach is now when that guy gets hired by a BCS team.
http://deadspin.com/assets/resources/2007/11/upyoursutes.jpg

http://www.lowbrass.goldstarband.org/index/Pictures/UND/Dave Hakstol.jpg

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/694462/northdakotabird.gif

BadlandsBison
12-04-2011, 09:28 PM

Anyway, that is quite a blow to UND because I think they had their eye on Glenn to replace whoever there coach is now when that guy gets hired by a BCS team.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Notorious
12-04-2011, 10:34 PM
Joe Glenn was a very good coach...good chance he will be again, but I have serious doubts that USD is the place this will happen.

KTF
12-04-2011, 11:08 PM
Yep, I was thinking Breske...

NWNDBison
12-04-2011, 11:17 PM
Joe Glenn was a very good coach...good chance he will be again, but I have serious doubts that USD is the place this will happen.

Why not? USD is already sitting at #24 at the end of the 2011 regular season.

cbline
12-05-2011, 12:25 AM

I don't care how many times someone posts these, I always get a big grin!!!

BadlandsBison
12-05-2011, 12:29 AM
Think Glenn will start snagging recruits away from us?

Tatanka
12-05-2011, 12:33 AM
Think Glenn will start snagging recruits away from us?

He will try....

Having said that though he'll likely have more success than Meierkort did. He's got some street cred that Ed didn't.

zooropa
12-05-2011, 06:40 AM

Dude, he's 62. If he doesn't succeed at USD, odds are he's going to head back to Arizona and resume wearing socks, sandals, sansabelts and sun visors.

BlueBisonRock
12-05-2011, 06:50 AM
Dude, he's 62. If he doesn't succeed at USD, odds are he's going to head back to Arizona and resume wearing socks, sandals, sansabelts and sun visors.

Your point?

;)

GOB1SON
12-05-2011, 12:42 PM
I think it is a good hire for USD, bringing in a big-name alum to drive fundraising as they move out of transition.

Plus he has a proven track record as a coach.

Hopefully he will ensure that bringing USD into the MVC was a good move and will heighten the level of competition in the MVC.

zooropa
12-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Your point?

Yeah, I just realized that the 'socks, sansabelts and sun visors' part of that applies equally well to ex-Arizona State coach Dennis Erickson, who is much older than I thought:

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Dennis+Erickson+W-wziHLf8UOm.jpg

BlueBisonRock
12-05-2011, 04:30 PM
Yeah, I just realized that the 'socks, sansabelts and sun visors' part of that applies equally well to ex-Arizona State coach Dennis Erickson, who is much older than I thought:

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Dennis+Erickson+W-wziHLf8UOm.jpg

I thought you were positioning all of the near and over 60 crowd. I really do not get into the black socks and sandles look. And visors?

HerdBot
12-05-2011, 04:55 PM
USD's new head coach.........Joe Glenn. Yep, that Joe Glenn.

Don't know how "powder river, let 'er buck" will translate to the yotes, but that thar is an upgrade at head coach.

That's a good hire for USD. Like the Valley wasn't already tough enough.

zooropa
12-05-2011, 05:05 PM
I thought you were positioning all of the near and over 60 crowd. I really do not get into the black socks and sandles look. And visors?

Not *all* of the AARP set, just the ones who retire to Arizona. :D

And (BTW) doesn't have to be black socks. Today's stereotypical senior citizen male enjoys wearing tube socks with sandals as well as the more formal dress socks from bygone days.