PDA

View Full Version : Opponents' records so far

DjKyRo
11-21-2011, 10:33 PM
Thought it'd be cool to keep a running tally of how teams we've defeated are doing so far. Obviously going 4-0 is great, but we're racking up some very quality wins already that will pay dividends down the road.

San Francisco (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/2539/san-francisco-dons) - 5-2, just dropped a tough one to New Mexico State.
Louisiana-Lafayette (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/309/louisiana-lafayette-ragin-cajuns) - 3-4, lost by 19 to Duquesne
Northern Arizona (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/2464/northern-arizona-lumberjacks) - 2-3, their only wins are over non-DI's.
Wisconsin-Green Bay (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/2739/green-bay-phoenix) - 2-4, currently on a two-game losing streak to In. St. and Virginia.
Nebraska-Omaha (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/2437/nebraska-omaha-mavericks) - 2-4, only wins are to sub-DI's.
Fresno St. (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/278/fresno-state-bulldogs) - 2-4, have beaten Ill. St. and SMU.

Strommer10
11-21-2011, 10:58 PM
Good idea Dj. Keep it up! It might get lengthy towards the end of the year however.

DjKyRo
11-22-2011, 01:08 AM
If anyone remembers that overweight-looking cat from Green Bay, Coughill, he totally just blew his team's chances vs. Indiana State (he jacked up two totally WTF threes when they played us). Missed a jumper (what business does this kid have shooting the ball? 6-9 265), then as his teammate got the ball and put a shot up with :15 to go he calls a timeout, nullifying the made basket that would've put them up. Then fouls a guy in a bad spot, and somehow the ball ends up in his hands for the final heave (which of course misses). GB loses to Indiana State 57-56.

Strommer10
11-22-2011, 01:25 AM
If anyone remembers that overweight-looking cat from Green Bay, Coughill, he totally just blew his team's chances vs. Indiana State (he jacked up two totally WTF threes when they played us). Missed a jumper (what business does this kid have shooting the ball? 6-9 265), then as his teammate got the ball and put a shot up with :15 to go he calls a timeout, nullifying the made basket that would've put them up. Then fouls a guy in a bad spot, and somehow the ball ends up in his hands for the final heave (which of course misses). GB loses to Indiana State 57-56.
Wow that's a shame for them. That would've been a solid win.

HerdBot
11-24-2011, 02:31 AM
Thought it'd be cool to keep a running tally of how teams we've defeated are doing so far. Obviously going 4-0 is great, but we're racking up some very quality wins already that will pay dividends down the road.

USF - 4-1, currently on a 4-game winning streak after losing to the Bison, including an OT win over the WAC's SJSU.
ULL - 3-3, with non-tourney wins over Houston Baptist and Nicholls State.
NAU - 1-3 with a win over something called Arizona Christian (mascot: Firestorm! Cool!), in the midst of a 3-game stretch vs. non-DI. How 'bout that Big Sky scheduling.

UW-GB - 2-2, picked up a nice win over Wyoming and play Indiana State tonight. Win there would look great.

my big? is can a young team play on the road in front of a hostile crowd? The road games had tiny crowds of 200.

squarepeg
11-24-2011, 03:28 AM
Wow that's a shame for them. That would've been a solid win.

I don't know that Wyoming or Indiana State are considered real quality wins. Unless they're supposed to be stronger than usual this year.

NDSUstudent
11-24-2011, 03:35 AM
I don't know that Wyoming or Indiana State are considered real quality wins. Unless they're supposed to be stronger than usual this year.

Wyo isn't but Indiana State is probably one of the top teams in the MVC this year.

squarepeg
11-24-2011, 03:44 AM
Wyo isn't but Indiana State is probably one of the top teams in the MVC this year.

They were bad for quite some time. Did they get a new coach?

NDSUstudent
11-24-2011, 03:47 AM
They were bad for quite some time. Did they get a new coach?

I believe their coach is in his second season, they went to the big dance last year.

SportsLover
11-25-2011, 06:35 PM

Indiana State blew a 7 point halftime lead vs Minnesota earlier today and lost 76-69. I know its Minnesota but ISU-Blue looked pretty good.

Strommer10
11-25-2011, 06:44 PM
Indiana State blew a 7 point halftime lead vs Minnesota earlier today and lost 76-69. I know its Minnesota but ISU-Blue looked pretty good.

Minnesota is not a bad basketball team, but Indiana State should have one this one. Indiana State is a good mid major team and could make the Big Dance again this season.

Strommer10
11-25-2011, 06:50 PM
I know this is getting a little bit ahead, but upcoming conference foe WIU plays @ UND tomorrow. That will be an interesting game to see, Go Leathernecks!
Also IUPUI, who has struggled in some close ball games this season, hosts TexSo & travels to Georgetown this weekend.

DjKyRo
11-26-2011, 05:58 AM

Minnesota basketball does not equal Minnesota football. Basketball-wise the Gophers are very good and usually just lose it later in the season, but still are very much a good team. Indiana State is proving to be pretty good this season as well and was 5-0 leading up to that Minnesota game.

mdk23
11-26-2011, 06:08 AM
Careful about giving NAU any credit for beating Arizona Christian. ACU is an NAIA Div 2 Independent, which happens to be what Jamestown, Mayville, and Valley City currently are. And in doing a little looking, I would say Mayville might even whoop ACU. Let's not call NAU anything more than a win.

DjKyRo
11-26-2011, 06:14 AM
Careful about giving NAU any credit for beating Arizona Christian. ACU is an NAIA Div 2 Independent, which happens to be what Jamestown, Mayville, and Valley City currently are. And in doing a little looking, I would say Mayville might even whoop ACU. Let's not call NAU anything more than a win.

The "how 'bout that Big Sky scheduling?" line was a jab at exactly what you've described. ;)

SportsLover
11-26-2011, 04:28 PM
Minnesota basketball does not equal Minnesota football. Basketball-wise the Gophers are very good and usually just lose it later in the season, but still are very much a good team. Indiana State is proving to be pretty good this season as well and was 5-0 leading up to that Minnesota game.

Minnesota is maybe an Average Big 10 team this year. I never said they equaled Minnesota football. But finishing 6-12 in conference play is pretty bad. You cant say they are a very good team if they can't win any conference games.

squarepeg
11-27-2011, 02:56 AM
Minnesota is maybe an Average Big 10 team this year. I never said they equaled Minnesota football. But finishing 6-12 in conference play is pretty bad. You cant say they are a very good team if they can't win any conference games.

An average Big 10 team is a 9 seed in the dance. Oakland would have finished 6-12 in the Big 10 last year. If that's considered pretty bad, sign me up.

Twentysix
11-27-2011, 03:21 AM
Any chance the OP can update the OP.

DjKyRo
11-27-2011, 03:36 AM
Updated list with links to ESPN clubhouse pages, records, etc. Don't expect that to be done terribly often but I'll do it when I can.

Planned on it being an update-by-post thing, continuously updating the OP is more work.

Herd
11-27-2011, 05:42 PM
I wish we could get some MVC teams on our schedule like Creighton, MO St, ISUb, ISUr, S.IL, UNI . . . or more Horizon teams along with a 1-2 B10-12 teams. If we want to improve our profile, that's the way to do it. I don't care, scheule a money game or 2-1's with the Valley/Horizon, these are the teams we need to play. I like our rotating arrangment with GB, we should try to do the same with Milwaukee, Drake, etc.

Bottom line, we need that new arena to make this happen!

NDSUstudent
12-04-2011, 06:32 AM
Nebraska-Omaha get their first DI win today, they beat Northern Illinois 77-72.

Fresno State also beat Utah 82-52.

Strommer10
12-29-2011, 02:56 PM
San Francisco -9-4; Other than 3 close losses, the Dons have rolled through the rest of their schedule
Louisiana-Lafayette - 6-8; inconsistent, only 1 good win against UCF
Northern Arizona - 4-8; Has struggled with the exception of the 1 point win @ASU
Wisconsin-Green Bay - 6-6; Have taken care of business with the exception of big losses to power conference teams
Nebraska-Omaha - 6-8; Have been up and down, no quality wins
Fresno St. - 5-8; has struggled until beating ASU
WIU - 6-4; Played SDSU tough and beat the Whioux twice
IUPUI - 6-8; 4 straight wins after getting dumped on by Louisville
ASU - 4-8; Lost to NAU & Fresno St.
MINN - 12-2; lost BIG TEN opener in 2OT to Illinois
OAK - 8-7; Layed an egg in the BSA

SDSUAlum08
01-04-2012, 12:09 AM
Lots of Summit League games tonight. Anyone know where we could watch them for free?

JSUBison
01-04-2012, 12:41 AM
Lots of Summit League games tonight. Anyone know where we could watch them for free?

I tuned into ORU/Oakland at firstrowsports, but lost interest after a while. ORU continuing the griz beatdowns.

SDSUAlum08
01-04-2012, 02:19 AM
I tuned into ORU/Oakland at firstrowsports, but lost interest after a while. ORU continuing the griz beatdowns.

I was at the SDSU vs. Oakland game last Friday. To be completely honest, I wasn't that impressed with Oakland. They have zero depth and SDSU easily took Petrose and Bader out of the game, which made them one dimentional with Hamilton. I think they'll end up 4-5 in the league when it's all said and done.

HoopsBison
01-04-2012, 02:38 AM
I was at the SDSU vs. Oakland game last Friday. To be completely honest, I wasn't that impressed with Oakland. They have zero depth and SDSU easily took Petrose and Bader out of the game, which made them one dimentional with Hamilton. I think they'll end up 4-5 in the league when it's all said and done.

Oakland is extremely limited right now and they are trying to play a different style then what they like because of it. They are in trouble and the new style of play is not suited for Hamilton so that may hurt him.

Its funny that SDSU has more depth then Oakland and they only play 6 players...

SDSUAlum08
01-04-2012, 03:34 AM
Oakland is extremely limited right now and they are trying to play a different style then what they like because of it. They are in trouble and the new style of play is not suited for Hamilton so that may hurt him.

Its funny that SDSU has more depth then Oakland and they only play 6 players...

That's a great point and I even thought of that when I was typing 'depth'. I just felt that they really didn't have anybody that could score on the offensive end. Oakland got really lucky when SDSU went cold for the last 6-7 minutes of the first half. SDSU should have been up 20 at half by the way Oakland was playing. Bader was non-existent and Petrose was shut down by Dykstra. SDSU has a much, much better team than Oakland and they played well defensively on Friday. I'm still not sure how good SDSU is, but they're at least top 3 with ORU and NDSU right now.

Also, SDSU will play 9-10 players usually. That was the first I've seen them play 6 (although I haven't watched EVERY game).

NDSUstudent
01-04-2012, 03:46 AM
Benson and Hudson were just too much to lose, Bader has to work a lot harder to get his shot and having those guys inside were a defensive crutch they could lean on.

Mr. Burgundy
01-04-2012, 04:01 AM
Playing 6 players in an NCAA game is almost embarrassing. I know they won, but it is almost like Nagy is trying to make people rip on him for his recruiting. "Sorry, I have nobody else that is good enough to play against Oakland." Keep in mind their walk on had 18 on 6 of 6 shooting. I agree, Oakland was not as good as advertised and can/will get beat in Sioux Falls in March.

SDSUAlum08
01-04-2012, 04:24 AM
Playing 6 players in an NCAA game is almost embarrassing. I know they won, but it is almost like Nagy is trying to make people rip on him for his recruiting. "Sorry, I have nobody else that is good enough to play against Oakland." Keep in mind their walk on had 18 on 6 of 6 shooting. I agree, Oakland was not as good as advertised and can/will get beat in Sioux Falls in March.

Come on Burgandy. You're better than that crap about Carlson.

Carlson isn't a walkon. The kid is on scholarship. He took 1 year of non-scholarship, redshirt year, and then the last 4 years are covered. He had 17 and 18 pts the last two games and has been playing tremendous defense all year. I knocked on him at first(most did), but he's been a great player for State. He's only a sophmore and he's a local Brookings kid, too. That kid played absolutely fantastic against Oakland and I walked away very impressed. He's going to be a great role player for the next 2 1/2 years.

Nagy can be knocked on for his recruiting, but he's trying to right the ship from what happened during the transition. Does it all deserve to be swept under the rug? No. But things seem to be going in the right direction and I think they will continue to do so. That place was packed on Friday (just under 4000) and there were no students there. Things are finally starting to look up.

TheBisonator
01-04-2012, 06:15 AM
Is it true that SDSU only has 6 players active for games now?? How does one even accomplish that?? Players really start to feel the stress when their roster rotation is down to 8 players, I cannot comprehend six.

jacks1
01-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Is it true that SDSU only has 6 players active for games now?? How does one even accomplish that?? Players really start to feel the stress when their roster rotation is down to 8 players, I cannot comprehend six.

Yep...SDSU suits up only 6 players for games now. The plan is to eventually get down to where we just play Nate...should happen by March.

Honestly people :facepalm:

Mr. Burgundy
01-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Come on Burgandy. You're better than that crap about Carlson.

Carlson isn't a walkon. The kid is on scholarship. He took 1 year of non-scholarship, redshirt year, and then the last 4 years are covered. He had 17 and 18 pts the last two games and has been playing tremendous defense all year. I knocked on him at first(most did), but he's been a great player for State. He's only a sophmore and he's a local Brookings kid, too. That kid played absolutely fantastic against Oakland and I walked away very impressed. He's going to be a great role player for the next 2 1/2 years.

Nagy can be knocked on for his recruiting, but he's trying to right the ship from what happened during the transition. Does it all deserve to be swept under the rug? No. But things seem to be going in the right direction and I think they will continue to do so. That place was packed on Friday (just under 4000) and there were no students there. Things are finally starting to look up.

Yes, he is on scholarship now. He is playing well, and gets alot of open looks due to teams worrying about Nate. He was a walk on, and when Nagy starting cutting kids that he recruited (AAU coaches really think highly of that mess), he got a scholarship and is now contributing. SDSU is playing some great ball. Playing 6 guys doesn't work, you understand the game well enough to know that.

carny
01-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Yes, he is on scholarship now. He is playing well, and gets alot of open looks due to teams worrying about Nate. He was a walk on, and when Nagy starting cutting kids that he recruited (AAU coaches really think highly of that mess), he got a scholarship and is now contributing. SDSU is playing some great ball. Playing 6 guys doesn't work, you understand the game well enough to know that.

You do not know what the hell you are talking about but keep talking. Out of high school, Carlson was offered a scholarship but not for his first year as none were available. He came to sdsu with the understanding that he would not have a scholarship year one but would after that. Before he started school, sdsu had a scholarship player leave. As a result, Carlson has been on scholarship his entire time at sdsu.

As far as only playing six players - the Oakland game was the only one all year. All other games have played a minimum of eight players. Oakland walked the ball up the court, sdsu played zone for 1/2 game - it was not a fast paced game.

Is sdsu in need of another big man? Yes.

NorCalJack
01-04-2012, 08:41 PM

Well nobody has the Carlson story straight yet, so let me straighten out some facts. At the time SDSU had an offer to Mike Felt and Nate Wolters. They had Carlson in a wait and see mode. Felt ended up committing to NDSU. SDSU wanted Nate to commit early but he said thanks but no thanks. They went to Carlson and said that he could have a scholarship for 4 years, but had to walk on the first year. This left the only scholarship opening for Nate, who committed late. Thanks to Carlson, we ended up with two great players.

Mr. Burgundy
01-04-2012, 08:44 PM
"Had a scholarship player leave." I guess technically that is correct. he was a 5/4 kid that got his scholarship immediately. I understand that. SDSU people want to forget the year that Nagy chose to let some players go.....players he recruited....but weren't good enough. Go ahead, spin it. When you let someone go, it is the worst thing you could do in the eyes of other coaches, high school coaches and ESPECIALLY AAU coaches. If they have a kid go to a program who ends up leaving not on their terms, it is recognized. Anyway, it doesn't matter. Playing 6 kids worked, they kicked Oakland out of the Dakota's. They are playing well and they have the best player in the Summit.

SDSUAlum08
01-05-2012, 12:51 AM
"Had a scholarship player leave." I guess technically that is correct. he was a 5/4 kid that got his scholarship immediately. I understand that. SDSU people want to forget the year that Nagy chose to let some players go.....players he recruited....but weren't good enough. Go ahead, spin it. When you let someone go, it is the worst thing you could do in the eyes of other coaches, high school coaches and ESPECIALLY AAU coaches. If they have a kid go to a program who ends up leaving not on their terms, it is recognized. Anyway, it doesn't matter. Playing 6 kids worked, they kicked Oakland out of the Dakota's. They are playing well and they have the best player in the Summit.

Yes...and unfortunately yes. I've talked to a couple AAU coaches and they had some 'interesting' things to say.

As for the 6 players playing, I wouldn't read much into it.