PDA

View Full Version : JMU fan here

Duke Dawg
11-20-2011, 07:21 PM
Hello Bison fans !

JMU fan here, and yes I am being rather presumptous in assuming we'll beat EKU, but I honestly can't see us losing that game. At least I hope not. :facepalm:

Great respect for your program and really hope we get the chance to visit your Dome and play you guys.

A little about us:

first, our fans are up in arms and extremely puzzled and pissed at how we are not hosting this game. We just expanded our stadium this year and averaged over 25,000 fans a game. How we got outbid by a EKU team that averaged 7,200 and had only 3,300 on senior day this Saturday is beyond us. We are waiting for an explanation from our AD.

Here's an aerial shot of our stadium:
http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics32/1024/OW/OWUKWANSKELLEJI.20110911030059.jpg

as for our team:

offensively, we love to play smash mouth and run the football....and we are pretty good at it. Spread offense, fast QB's and RB's, vicious line. But also pretty conservative. We are undefeated in FCS play with our starting QB Justin Thorpe. The 3 games we lost were all to playoff teams, 1 in OT to Maine, and at ODU when we missed a last second FG and after we lost 3 OL and our starting RB (Scott) in a 10 minute stretch when we had controlled the line of scrimmage prior to that.

Our defense, its all about speed. We have the best defense in the tough as nails CAA by a long shot. our run D is stellar. We have held most RB's well under there season averages. Our pass D plays a bend but dont break philosophy. and in the 2nd half of the year we have gotten pretty good at pressuring QB's with our front four alone.

For more on us check out our message board: http://boards.caazone.com/forumdisplay.php?10-James-Madison-Dukes

would love to hear a quick summary of your strengths on O and D.

Strommer10
11-20-2011, 07:27 PM
Welcome to the board! Good luck next week and thanks for the info!

I was also suprised that you guys didn't get a home game. It's too bad because I LOVE your stadium. A very impressive FCS facility.

Gully
11-20-2011, 07:30 PM
I am some stadium envy after viewing that pic. JMU sounds good, hopefully we can keep it close.

BisonTeacher
11-20-2011, 07:31 PM
Welcome to the board! Good luck next week and thanks for the info!

I was also suprised that you guys didn't get a home game. It's too bad because I LOVE your stadium. A very impressive FCS facility.

Yep...pretty cool aerial view of that stadium.

Mr. Burgundy
11-20-2011, 07:32 PM
Gene would get run out of town for the same mistake their AD made. You have a massive brand new stadium and get outbid? Could you imagine Bisonville if NDSU had to travel to a dogpile instead of hosting because an error the AD made? SD Bison would be calm compared to some of us. Excited for this game.

Gully
11-20-2011, 07:35 PM
I wounder if it was a "mistake" or if we put in a low bid that his strategy was to bid just enough to beat their bid given their lack of attendance? This is what happened to NDSU when they played at Pitt State one year. Pitt State actually bid so much they lost money on the game but they were betting they'd make it up on subsequent games. Lesson learned for NDSU, hopefully. Or maybe that's what you meant by "mistake"?

squarepeg
11-20-2011, 07:36 PM
The photo is after renovation opened this fall moved capacity from 15,000 to 25,000.

Strommer10
11-20-2011, 07:40 PM
Offensive strengths:
We run the ball very well and it has been a point of pride for the program since the beginning.
We added a passing dimension this year. Last year we lacked that and suffered because of it at times. Now, Brock is in his second year and really coming into his own as an efficient passer.

Defensive strengths:
Linebackers. We have great depth at that position.
Marcus Williams. Have fun throwing to his side.
We run a 4-3, and have our SS Heagle come on blitzes and/or in for run support. Our corners are physical and like to hit.
Opportunistic. We cause a lot of turnovers and are very good at turning it into offense.

Misc:
We are playing in the Dome and it gets VERY loud. Last years playoff game was one of the loudest games we've had and we only had 12k at that one. We will have close to, if not a sellout in two weeks.

SmellsLikeSamHumann
11-20-2011, 07:58 PM
I'd love to beat the 5th president of the united states

X-Factor
11-20-2011, 08:09 PM
I do believe it is safe to start talking JMU/NDSU. JMU will TROUNCE EKU into next season. And yes, I did just say trounce. haha

NH/JMU Saxkow
11-20-2011, 08:16 PM

You're playing a team from James Monroe University? (Madison was the 4th president.)

NH/JMU Saxkow
11-20-2011, 08:23 PM
BTW - Another JMU fan here (and NoDak native - go Cavalier!). It should also be pointed out that our starting QB was suspended by the school for 5 games this season for allegedly smoking pot. He missed all of the October games and came back for the last 2 games. All three I-AA losses were by our back-up. Thorpe (our starter) is much more of a scrambler and, while still young, seems to get better with each game.

Some of the biggest criticisms JMU fans have of our team (other than the AD blowing the bidding process even though he was on the committee) is the conservative nature of our coach, especially in the 2nd half of games in which we lead (which is most of the time).

rutlandbison
11-20-2011, 08:53 PM
Gene would get run out of town for the same mistake their AD made. You have a massive brand new stadium and get outbid? Could you imagine Bisonville if NDSU had to travel to a dogpile instead of hosting because an error the AD made? SD Bison would be calm compared to some of us. Excited for this game.

I highly doubt that.

90 BISON
11-20-2011, 09:11 PM
I highly doubt that.

But he would be run out of Bisonville.

56BISON73
11-20-2011, 09:13 PM
BTW - Another JMU fan here (and NoDak native - go Cavalier!). It should also be pointed out that our starting QB was suspended by the school for 5 games this season for allegedly smoking pot. He missed all of the October games and came back for the last 2 games. All three I-AA losses were by our back-up. Thorpe (our starter) is much more of a scrambler and, while still young, seems to get better with each game.

Some of the biggest criticisms JMU fans have of our team (other than the AD blowing the bidding process even though he was on the committee) is the conservative nature of our coach, especially in the 2nd half of games in which we lead (which is most of the time).

JMU has knocked off a few big guys the past few years or am I thinking UMASS or some one else?

NDSUstudent
11-20-2011, 09:14 PM
JMU has knocked off a few big guys the past few years or am I thinking UMASS or some one else?

JMU beat Virginia Tech last year....

Strommer10
11-20-2011, 09:19 PM
JMU is a solid program. But they still have to go on the road next week and win. I like their chances however.

Mr. Burgundy
11-20-2011, 10:25 PM
I highly doubt that.

So you think our teammakers would tolerate Gene losing a bid situation against a team with a 7,000 seat stadium? Gene would never get caught up in this mistake. Our fans complain about anything and everything.....and if we lost out on a chance to host a playoff game and had to travel to a crappy field (have you seen the photo of the place that JMU will be playing?), Gene would be answering alot of questions. JMU has a sweet stadium, I am guessing they wanted to pack it, instead they are traveling. Interesting to see if their fans/boosters get an answer.

DjKyRo
11-20-2011, 10:29 PM
So you think our teammakers would tolerate Gene losing a bid situation against a team with a 7,000 seat stadium? Gene would never get caught up in this mistake. Our fans complain about anything and everything.....and if we lost out on a chance to host a playoff game and had to travel to a crappy field (have you seen the photo of the place that JMU will be playing?), Gene would be answering alot of questions. JMU has a sweet stadium, I am guessing they wanted to pack it, instead they are traveling. Interesting to see if their fans/boosters get an answer.

Burgundy nailed it. When our fanbase gets sick anytime a game looks to be in doubt, can you imagine the backlash if we lost a bid to a 7k-seat stadium?

Strommer10
11-20-2011, 10:30 PM

Not to mention that their stadium is newly renovated to seat 25k and they DON'T host a playoff game? Head scratching to say the least.

CaBisonFan
11-20-2011, 10:54 PM

A North Dakota native who is a JMU fan...hmmmmm. I might forgive you. Just be nice here...ok?...lol

Your stadium looks great !! I love outdoor football...where the game was meant to be played.

Has JMU been planning a move to the FBS? The stadium makes me think that it might be on the way.

Duke Dawg
11-20-2011, 11:00 PM
we haven't made any public announcements about wanting to move up like App State did, but we are involved in many discussions behind the scenes about it.

Lots of speculation about a new eastern FBS league forming with some current FBS schools (ECU, Marshall, Ohio, etc) and some FCS schools who are ready to move up (JMU, ASU, ODU).

one more FYI - we already have the plans in place to do the other side and mirror the side completed this year. Will bring capacity to 40-45,000.

Strommer10
11-20-2011, 11:03 PM
we haven't made any public announcements about wanting to move up like App State did, but we are involved in many discussions behind the scenes about it.

Lots of speculation about a new eastern FBS league forming with some current FBS schools (ECU, Marshall, Ohio, etc) and some FCS schools who are ready to move up (JMU, ASU, ODU).

one more FYI - we already have the plans in place to do the other side and mirror the side completed this year. Will bring capacity to 40-45,000.
That would be very impressive for FCS. I would assume you would only do that if you went FBS... right?

DjKyRo
11-20-2011, 11:05 PM
BTW - Another JMU fan here (and NoDak native - go Cavalier!).

Where were you last year when Cavalier product Matt Anderson was helping push the Bison to the quarterfinals? :p

CaBisonFan
11-20-2011, 11:05 PM

Thanks...you're headed up eventually...like we should be within the next 5-10 years. I agree with several members here that we need to have some solid experiences in the FCS before we'd entertain a move up. I'd love to see NDSU move up with a conference like you're talking about...too far away though. It would be great if we could get into an FBS league someday that involves a few mountain schools...IMO. We...IMO...should be in the Big Sky now. The Montana schools are historical rivals of ours.

Duke Dawg
11-20-2011, 11:10 PM
That would be very impressive for FCS. I would assume you would only do that if you went FBS... right?

correct. we wouldn't do it unless we moved up. But with the plans in place and it having already been setup with the next phase in mind, it would hopefully only take us 2 years to do.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
11-20-2011, 11:48 PM

Sounds familiar

Strommer10
11-21-2011, 12:13 AM
Sounds familiar
A little too familiar.

kab1one
11-21-2011, 12:32 AM
I highly doubt that.

Didn't it happen in the early to mid 90's, Maybe later than that, Bison won a game in Omaha, and the Bison instead of having a home game at the dome, went down south somewhere, lost in the mud, in some staduim with 1,000 people there at the game. It was instead of making the proper bid, the AD got arrested in the park trying to pick up the undercover cop.

So much easier being seeded.

Tatanka
11-21-2011, 12:37 AM
Didn't it happen in the early to mid 90's, Maybe later than that, Bison won a game in Omaha, and the Bison instead of having a home game at the dome, went down south somewhere, lost in the mud, in some staduim with 1,000 people there at the game. It was instead of making the proper bid, the AD got arrested in the park trying to pick up the undercover cop.

Kitty litter, 1000 people at most, not a bid situation IIRC. Bison weren't given opportunity to bid, it was awarded to Delta State. Man with two first names on playoff board that year.

Bisonguy
11-21-2011, 12:38 AM

Still have to submit bids if you're seeded, and they're due for all rounds before the playoff field is selected.

kab1one
11-21-2011, 12:46 AM
Still have to submit bids if you're seeded, and they're due for all rounds before the playoff field is selected.

last year if Bison beat EWU, when would have the bidding been done for the semi final game? After the EWU game or before the playoffs? Just curious about the timing of all this.

Hammersmith
11-21-2011, 12:53 AM
last year if Bison beat EWU, when would have the bidding been done for the semi final game? After the EWU game or before the playoffs? Just curious about the timing of all this.
Reread his post. All bids for the entire playoffs were due the Friday before the 11th week of the season(Nov 12th last year). Schools don't rebid after each round. One of the schools screwed that up last year or the year before and lost the opportunity to host the later rounds. Had we beat EWU, we likely would've hosted Villanova(they averaged 8500 last year) since they upset #1 App State.

HerdBot
11-21-2011, 01:01 AM

that would be James Monroe

DjKyRo
11-21-2011, 01:03 AM
that would be James Monroe

Good call Gabe. For that, I award you with:

http://files.sharenator.com/buzz_killington_191x300_So_troll-s191x300-152037-535.jpg

Bisonguy
11-21-2011, 01:07 AM
Good call Gabe. For that, I award you with:

http://files.sharenator.com/buzz_killington_191x300_So_troll-s191x300-152037-535.jpg

Gotta hand that out way earlier in this thread- http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?25642-JMU-fan-here&p=559468#post559468

bri-dog
11-21-2011, 01:18 AM
our starting QB was suspended by the school for 5 games this season for allegedly smoking pot.

Shoulda gone to Stony Brook. :rimshot:

NH/JMU Saxkow
11-21-2011, 02:26 AM
Reread his post. All bids for the entire playoffs were due the Friday before the 11th week of the season(Nov 12th last year). Schools don't rebid after each round. One of the schools screwed that up last year or the year before and lost the opportunity to host the later rounds. Had we beat EWU, we likely would've hosted Villanova(they averaged 8500 last year) since they upset #1 App State.

That would be Georgia Southern last year. The AD had no faith in his team winning their last couple of games so he didn't even bother submitting his bids until the night before the selection show. Georgia Southern's fans weren't happy with him. :)

HerdBot
11-21-2011, 02:46 AM
We have great respect for your program and we've always wanted to play a team from the CAA. Nice stadium too. I can't believe they dropped the ball and got outbid. That is crazy. if our AD did that he would be run out of town. One of our biggest goals was to have home field advantage. The dome is extremely loud and creates a unique home field advantage not many other teams can bring. Our fans our hungry. When we build the stadium in 1993 we all had visions of a sold out home game in the playoffs because it's tough to draw outdoors when it's cold and windy. Since we had just won our last National Championship in 1990 and had some good teams, we ASSUMED it would happen. Then they cut D2 scholarship levels, the other tems got really good, and we transitioned which meant we had to wait 5 more years before we were eligible. Last year was great. This year is just amazing for Bison fans who have been with the program for years and we are pumped up.

HerdBot
11-21-2011, 02:49 AM
Gotta hand that out way earlier in this thread- http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?25642-JMU-fan-here&p=559468#post559468

SOmetimes I have no desire to read every single post in every single thread.

NWNDBison
11-21-2011, 03:22 AM

I almost hate to bring this back because the thread moved past it, but in all fairness to EKU and to Duke Dawg, EKU's stadium capacity is as below. Duke Dawg didn't say Roy Kidd Stadium had a 7,000 seat capacity, he said EKU AVERAGES 7200 in attendance. (Still puzzling that JMU got out-bid.) I remember reading one time there is a formula ADs often use to determine what they can afford to bid based on ticket price and anticipated attendance.

Here's the Roy Kidd Stadium stats:

Stadium Name: Roy Kidd Stadium
Field Name: Hanger Field
Field Type: Synthetic Turf
Stadium Opened: 1969
Stadium Capacity: 22,000
Attendance Record: 25,300 (October 20, 1979)

Source: http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/teams-stadiums-directory/ohio-valley-conference/eastern-kentucky-colonels-roy-kidd-stadium/

Tatanka
11-21-2011, 03:27 AM
I almost hate to bring this back because the thread moved past it, but in all fairness to EKU and to Duke Dawg, EKU's stadium capacity is as below. Duke Dawg didn't say Roy Kidd Stadium had a 7,000 seat capacity, he said EKU AVERAGES 7200 in attendance. (Still puzzling that JMU got out-bid.) I remember reading one time there is a formula ADs often use to determine what they can afford to bid based on ticket price and anticipated attendance.

Here's the Roy Kidd Stadium stats:

Stadium Name: Roy Kidd Stadium
Field Name: Hanger Field
Field Type: Synthetic Turf
Stadium Opened: 1969
Stadium Capacity: 22,000
Attendance Record: 25,300 (October 20, 1979)

Source: http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/teams-stadiums-directory/ohio-valley-conference/eastern-kentucky-colonels-roy-kidd-stadium/

Average of 7200 in a 22000 seat stadium? OUCH. How in the HELL does JMU get outbid by THAT?

BadlandsBison
11-21-2011, 03:41 AM
EKY called JMU's bluff on the bid.

Bison bison
11-21-2011, 03:42 AM
apparently EKU bid HIGH having money set aside from a previous unsuccessful big.

it's entirely possible that JMU's athletic department screwed up their math and came in short against a generous bid.

DjKyRo
11-21-2011, 03:43 AM
A user on AGS did post this:

Our AD (Mark Sandy) tried to get a home game three years ago against Richmond, but Richmond was a top 4 seed. We've had the money stockpiled for a while waiting for the chance to get a home game.

I'm not sure we'll get bashed in like you think. If EKU can play at the level we did against Kansas St, we can play with anyone. But we have to play at that level. I know the CAA teams are confident, but I have a feeling here that the Colonels may just play to JMU's level.

IBleedYellow
11-21-2011, 04:31 AM
Holy crap that's an epic stadium for FCS. I have envy.

BUT does it get LOUD like the Dome? :)

BadlandsBison
11-21-2011, 05:52 AM
Holy crap that's an epic stadium for FCS. I have envy.

BUT does it get LOUD like the Dome? :)

Great question. Well, great point really. Few fcs stadiums can can change a game with the crowd noise

Twentysix
11-21-2011, 05:53 AM

EKU's stadium seats 1300 more than the Fargodome..:facepalm:

Its not exactly a tiny stadium

http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/8705/1d/images.tickets.com/images/privatelabel/roy_kidd_203202_vmap2.jpg

Wacker_in_the_Hall
11-21-2011, 01:55 PM
In 1976 NDSU went to what was then called Hanger Field and we beat Eastern Kentucky in the Division II playoffs. The field was grass at the time..located in Richmond.

It now has SF II Turf and seats 20,000. It was certainly not a dump from what I recall.

NH/JMU Saxkow
11-21-2011, 05:54 PM
Great question. Well, great point really. Few fcs stadiums can can change a game with the crowd noise

Yes, especially if you're playing in the end zone away from the Athletic Center. Our 475-member Marching Band makes sure it's impossible for the offense to hear the QB. (Unfortunately, sometimes the crowd also cheers when JMU has the ball down there... :facepalm2: )

Bison03
11-22-2011, 03:49 AM
Here are the details on how JMU got outbid.

http://jamesmadison.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1297128

56BISON73
11-22-2011, 03:54 AM
Here are the details on how JMU got outbid.

http://jamesmadison.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1297128

Interesting. Thanks

HandoEX
11-22-2011, 03:57 AM
Soooooo, what did EKU bid? Pretty crazy to have a sizeable difference over what JMU bid.

56BISON73
11-22-2011, 04:16 AM
Soooooo, what did EKU bid? Pretty crazy to have a sizeable difference over what JMU bid.

If I had to guess it was probably on the 1st playoff game they came up really short. and then a tad light on the other 2.

90 BISON
11-22-2011, 04:35 AM
Yes, especially if you're playing in the end zone away from the Athletic Center. Our 475-member Marching Band makes sure it's impossible for the offense to hear the QB. (Unfortunately, sometimes the crowd also cheers when JMU has the ball down there... :facepalm2: )

You in the JMU Marching Band, Saxkow? I am guessing you play the saxophone?

NH/JMU Saxkow
11-22-2011, 08:29 PM
You in the JMU Marching Band, Saxkow? I am guessing you play the saxophone?

I was (I graduated in 2002)...now I'm a Band Director.

56BISON73
11-23-2011, 02:06 AM
I was (I graduated in 2002)...now I'm a Band Director.

OMG another band geek.:facepalm2: