PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Polls

NDSU92
11-07-2011, 05:59 AM
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?500-2011-FCS-Consolidated-Preseason-Ranking

Pretty interesting to see where people placed us to start the season. I remember being pretty frustrated when I saw how low some sites ranked us (or not ranked at all). It has just become more and more apparent as this season has run its course that the coverage of FCS is largely based on bias and past performance. Just wondering what you guys think.

BTW this is my first thread so if I did anything incorrectly, please kindly let me know.

CaBisonFan
11-07-2011, 06:10 AM
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?500-2011-FCS-Consolidated-Preseason-Ranking

Pretty interesting to see where people placed us to start the season. I remember being pretty frustrated when I saw how low some sites ranked us (or not ranked at all). It has just become more and more apparent as this season has run its course that the coverage of FCS is largely based on bias and past performance. Just wondering what you guys think.

BTW this is my first thread so if I did anything incorrectly, please kindly let me know.

You did everything great...and welcome to the board !!

I think that you're right about the voters relying on the past for their vote...and I felt the same way that you did.

reps for you !

NDSUBowler
11-07-2011, 06:18 AM
I like how Sporting News didn't even have us in the top 25.

WYOBISONMAN
11-07-2011, 09:03 AM
Pre-season polls are garbage......based largely on the performance of the previous year. The poll I care about will be decided in Frisco.

Twentysix
11-07-2011, 10:48 AM

This happens basicly every year. The teams that play in the NC are rarely not in any top 25's but typically isnt the top team. How do you think Towson or Maine feel, neither made any one of these top 25's.

BisonTeacher
11-07-2011, 11:05 AM
I agree. We had finished top 8 in the playoff (should have gone farther if not for a jobbed call) and most of our starters returning. Seemed like a slam-dunk to me but oh well.

tjbison
11-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Pre-season polls are garbage......based largely on the performance of the previous year. The poll I care about will be decided in Frisco.

This or being #1 in the GPI in 2.5 weeks

Hammerhead
11-07-2011, 12:50 PM
That's what I like about the FCS, champions are determined on the field.

If they are based on the performance of the previous year, why didn't a team that made it to the final 8 with a freshman QB and many other returning starters not get some love?

#1BISONFAN ASHLEY
11-07-2011, 03:01 PM
Hahahahahahha. eastern washington..

Strommer10
11-07-2011, 05:36 PM
It's a good thing that they play out the season isn't it. :biggrin:

heffray
11-07-2011, 06:00 PM
I agree. We had finished top 8 in the playoff (should have gone farther if not for a jobbed call) and most of our starters returning. Seemed like a slam-dunk to me but oh well.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that loss to EW in the Semi-Finals? Wouldn't that make us top 4? I completely agree with your reasoning here, though, teach. Great post, NDSU92. rep+++

Twentysix
11-07-2011, 06:03 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that loss to EW in the Semi-Finals? Wouldn't that make us top 4? I completely agree with your reasoning here, though, teach. Great post, NDSU92. rep+++

You are wrong. It was the third game in.

We played in Round one RMU, Round two MSU, Quarterfinals EWU, Semis would of been against Villanova, Championship against UD.

Hambone

Quarterfinals. EWU beat Villanova and Delaware after NDSU. Reason it seems like the semi-finals was the fact NDSU had to play an opening weekend playoff against RM, which got them into the round of 16.

NDSU92
I believe that loss was in quarters...I remember people talking about a home possible semifinal game after nova won

gotts
11-07-2011, 06:47 PM
Guys, I'm not sure, but I think that loss may have been in the quarters...

BisonTeacher
11-07-2011, 07:22 PM

Nope it was quarters. Believe it or not when I first saw the preseason polls I thought the same thing (thinking we were top 4 last year) and was even more ticked. So I texted Gully right away and he scolded me for drinking too much during that game. Alas...he was right. Top 8.

4mcruenomore
11-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Quarterfinals. EWU beat Villanova and Delaware after NDSU. Reason it seems like the semi-finals was the fact NDSU had to play an opening weekend playoff against RM, which got them into the round of 16.

Shouldn't you be over on SS with DaveK and Darrell jizzing on each other about being ranked #22 and talking about playing Alabama? Just curious.

EndZoneQB
11-07-2011, 07:32 PM
Shouldn't you be over on SS with DaveK and Darrell jizzing on each other about being ranked #22 and talking about playing Alabama? Just curious.

They are talking about playing Alabama?

aces1180
11-07-2011, 07:33 PM

Hypothetically that UND could beat them...Comparing it to NDSU losing to SF or them.

Dumbasses.

4mcruenomore
11-07-2011, 07:33 PM

Yes, and how it is possible for UND to beat NDSU 50-0 because "anything can happen"

EndZoneQB
11-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Hypothetically that UND could beat them...Comparing it to NDSU losing to SF or them.

Dumbasses.

SF losing to NDSU? Sioux Falls would get blown off the field. I watched them play Minot State and it was like watching High School football...in ND.

CAS4127
11-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Speaking of preseason polls, didn't Note declare himself the 2011 POTY?? Talk about over-rated!!

4mcruenomore
11-07-2011, 07:38 PM
DaveK:

It's easy to say that when the teams do not actually have to play each other and you have no chance to be proven wrong. I could say that the Sioux would beat Alabama 48-10 and would have just as much chance of being proven wrong.

EndZoneQB
11-07-2011, 07:40 PM
DaveK:

It's easy to say that when the teams do not actually have to play each other and you have no chance to be proven wrong. I could say that the Sioux would beat Alabama 48-10 and would have just as much chance of being proven wrong.

I need to invite DaveK, Darell1976, and star2city over for some beers.

CAS4127
11-07-2011, 07:42 PM
DaveK:

:facepalm2::facepalm::facepalm2::facepalm: Get them into the Big Sky already so they can start getting their asses kicked--pretty hard to say that then, although there are some pansies in the BSC too!! How about a full D1 schedule then?!

EndZoneQB
11-07-2011, 07:43 PM
:facepalm2::facepalm::facepalm2::facepalm: Get them into the Big Sky already so they can start getting their asses kicked--pretty hard to say that then, although there are some pansies in the BSC too!! How about a full D1 schedule then?!

You're going to have to wait at least another season for that...

4mcruenomore
11-07-2011, 07:45 PM
I need to invite DaveK, Darell1976, and star2city over for some beers.
2 of those 3 aren't even alumni of teh u, and DaveK doesn't have a college education, I also think he is "special", if that's the correct term. It's unbelievable, and DaveK told me that I was an embarrassment to the Bison fanbase. LOL.

Bisontug
11-07-2011, 08:03 PM
:innocent:
SF losing to NDSU? Sioux Falls would get blown off the field. I watched them play Minot State and it was like watching High School football...in ND.

Guessing the end result would be similar or worse than the Moorhead State game... too generous ?? :innocent:

Twentysix
11-07-2011, 08:07 PM

Their are 3 teams in the bigsky that are above .500. Portland State at 4-3 is the 3rd best team in the bigsky.... we have 9 wins... they have 4.

Northern Colorado 0-10
Idaho State 1-7
Sacramento State 3-6
Weber State 3-6
Northern Arizona 3-5
Eastern Washington 4-5
Portland State 4-3
Montana 7-2
Montana St 8-1

They earn the big fluffy title.

The MVFC has 5 teams above .500 SDSU would be top half in the bigsky this year... we have 3 teams that are really bad and all three of them would destroy Idaho state and UNC.