PDA

View Full Version : Wide Reciever ???????

Bison"FANatic"
11-06-2011, 11:55 PM
What happened to Wahlo?????? Not taking anything away from Moody but he is a walk on Freshman at a position that usually takes a year or even more to get a handle on. Cooper has had a 2009 redshirt, 2010 season with some special teams work and then this year and he isn't cracking the top 6 in WR at a position we could really use it at right now. With Vraa and Gebhart having injury problems I hope the coaches are sitting down with him right now having a come to Jesus meeting. It is now or never.

344Johnson
11-06-2011, 11:58 PM
Holy S(#& I forgot he even existed there....for awhile...til you brought him up....tonight.

Snowgoose
11-07-2011, 12:21 AM
Last year the one good thing Brock did was throw the deep ball and this year it doesn't even seem like we attempt a long ball unless it is a trick play. What is the deal with that. Why can't we get anyone deep anymore. Talking about Moody, he seemed slow out there on replays even when he made a catch.

X-Factor
11-07-2011, 12:48 AM
Last year the one good thing Brock did was throw the deep ball and this year it doesn't even seem like we attempt a long ball unless it is a trick play. What is the deal with that. Why can't we get anyone deep anymore. Talking about Moody, he seemed slow out there on replays even when he made a catch.

Open your eyes. We have had plenty of deep passes. It hasn't happened in the last few weeks because we have been playing really good defenses. Particularly UNI. Jensen is completing a record setting % I don't see anything wrong with our passing game. It is not like he is dumping it off to our RB every other down.

stevdock
11-07-2011, 12:52 AM
Also could have swore Holloways TD was a long TD pass on Saturday. No need to go deep when you can control the clock the way Brock can with all these short passes and the running game. Also long TD passes are fun to watch but gets the defense out there much to quickly sometimes.

Jay
11-07-2011, 12:55 AM
Was thinking the same thing on my drive back to Fargo today... Where's Wahlo!??! Need to put him on a milk carton with a red striped shirt and glasses.

Thunder_Struck
11-07-2011, 01:02 AM
I was looking at our WR depth on the gobison.com site. Someone asked this in an earlier post and I must have missed the answer. Any reason why Andrew Okland is not on the gobison.com roster?

Jay
11-07-2011, 01:03 AM
I was looking at our WR depth on the gobison.com site. Someone asked this in an earlier post and I must have missed the answer. Any reason why Andrew Okland is not on the gobison.com roster?

Clearinghouse related.

FarSouth Bison
11-07-2011, 01:11 AM
Thought that was cleared up, a couple of weeks into the season.

westnodak93bison
11-07-2011, 01:15 AM
Regarding Wahloo. It appears all that speed is going to waste. Supposedly he is the fastest guy on the team.

Wally
11-07-2011, 01:22 AM
I would hate think where we would be without the outstanding transition to wr we have seen from smith.

I do wonder what the scoop is with wahlo? Just not good enough? Not grasping the offense? Not putting in the time learning the offense?

Snowgoose
11-07-2011, 01:51 AM
X-Factor, Your crazy if you think we are throwing the ball down the field. Jensen has been completing approximately 20 passes a game and he ends up with 200 yds passing. The only pass attempted deep down the field yesterday was the trick play that holloway dropped. Holloways TD was a 30 yard pass. I am talking about stretching the defense once in a while thats it. Last year Jensen would try a deep pass about twice a game. Also, it doesn't bother me when playing good teams to dink and dunk, but long sustained drives consistently against the top notch teams is just difficult, especially with our inconsistent running game. I would just like us to stretch the field once in a while maybe even with Veldman down the seam.

JSUBison
11-07-2011, 02:01 AM
Chicks dig the long ball, but coaches prefer high completion % passes, which is exactly what Brock and the offense is doing. Limit turnovers, eat clock, wear down the defense. West Coast offense works, no need to go all Houston Cougars and try the run and shoot.

Bisonguy
11-07-2011, 02:03 AM
X-Factor, Your crazy if you think we are throwing the ball down the field. Jensen has been completing approximately 20 passes a game and he ends up with 200 yds passing. The only pass attempted deep down the field yesterday was the trick play that holloway dropped. Holloways TD was a 30 yard pass. I am talking about stretching the defense once in a while thats it. Last year Jensen would try a deep pass about twice a game. Also, it doesn't bother me when playing good teams to dink and dunk, but long sustained drives consistently against the top notch teams is just difficult, especially with our inconsistent running game. I would just like us to stretch the field once in a while maybe even with Veldman down the seam.

Throwing downfield goes against two of the major points of emphasis for the offense this year- getting Brock's completion percentage significantly better (45% last year) and keeping the offense out of 3rd and long situations (although some untimely holding calls haven't helped).

BisonPride72
11-07-2011, 03:13 PM

God it sucks to be having such a good year as a team that people have to try this hard to come up with something to complain about.

I can think of one multi super bowl winning QB that makes a living on short passes like what we are doing this year. (Even though I hate Brady's guts I have to use him as an example here).

bisonmike2
11-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Clearinghouse related.

He won!?
http://www.coolest-homemade-costumes.com/images/coolest-publishers-clearing-house-costume-21303478.jpg

DjKyRo
11-07-2011, 05:17 PM
This just came across the wire from Kolpack's Twitter:

Bison considering using Marcus Williams as receiver, also, this week because of injuries.

tony
11-07-2011, 05:24 PM
This just came across the wire from Kolpack's Twitter:

Wow! Williams at WR... I just don't see how he could do any timing routes but he definitely has great hands.

JSUBison
11-07-2011, 05:33 PM
Interesting development. I know Marcus is the best player we have and it makes sense to get the ball in his hands, but I would have thought moving DJ to wide out and having Ojuri and Lang take care of the running duties. Ojuri is having a better year than DJ, average rush anyways. And Lang is more than capable, he just needs more touches. DJ would do just fine as a receiver, he does already. But playing both sides can wear a guy out, or at least in Marcus' case, maybe make him a half step slower on D. I am conflicted.

HerdBot
11-07-2011, 05:39 PM
this just came across the wire from kolpack's twitter:

prime time deion sanders!

HerdBot
11-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Wow! Williams at WR... I just don't see how he could do any timing routes but he definitely has great hands.

I'm not a great football mind but its easy to learn deep passes...defenses would have to respect him deep. Ill take a 1 on 1 matchup with a short corner every time. That keeps the safety deep and the running game and short passes open up even more. It's the Randy Moss effect.

56BISON73
11-07-2011, 05:50 PM
I'm not a great football mind but its easy to learn deep passes...defenses would have to respect him deep. Ill take a 1 on 1 matchup with a short corner every time. That keeps the safety deep and the running game and short passes open up even more. It's the Randy Moss effect.

You have to have receivers who can get seperation before you can go long. There has been MANY times where Brock has had ALL FREAKING day to throw the ball but there isnt an open receiver.

silkamilkamonico
11-07-2011, 06:03 PM
So I am going to assume nobody has any idea what is up with Wahlo? He's done some good things on special teams this year if I am not mistaken?

THEsocalledfan
11-07-2011, 06:09 PM
Holloways TD was a 30 yard pass.

UMMMMMM........it traveled 30 yards in the air. That is a pretty long throw last I checked. Further, if they run the same play from their own 20, and Warren breaks it, it goes down as an 80 yard TD throw. The ball still only travels 30 yards in the air.....

Point? You are way overanalyzing and yes, they are throwing down the field when they can.

X-Factor
11-07-2011, 06:14 PM

I understand you are new and all, but what are you looking for? From decent starting position, a 30 yd pass is almost half of the remaining field. That is a pretty damn big play if you ask me. It kind of sounds like you are more interested in the entertainment factor of the game than actually winning, which throwing the ball 40+ yds several times a game isnt going to help win

344Johnson
11-07-2011, 06:14 PM
We had to throw it deep last year, we had no short passing game. The only way to get teams to respect our passing game was to go deep from time to time to stop them for putting 9 in the box. This year, we have the luxury of running whatever passing plays we want. Do you want to throw it deep and have that be a drive killer when it is incomplete, or throw it short, get the first down and kill the clock.

DjKyRo
11-07-2011, 06:28 PM
Sh*t. Now we know why they're looking at Williams -> WR.

Izzo Twitter:

Also Bohl says WR Trevor Gebhart is OUT with broken tibia and Ryan Drevlow OUT 3-4 weeks with MCL strain

bisonmike2
11-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Is Dante Perez still alive? I thought he was going to move to WR. Seesh. These injuries are stacking up. I'd rather see Ojuir in the backfield and DJ in the slot than to see M-Will play significantly at the WR position.

coloradobison
11-07-2011, 06:41 PM
So I am going to assume nobody has any idea what is up with Wahlo? He's done some good things on special teams this year if I am not mistaken?

The only thing we can assume is that he is just not grasping the offense, which is why we say Hansena and Moody alot yesterday. It is a little alarming to me that Marcus would be a better option at WR than Cooper who has been at the position for 3 years basically. I just hope that Vraa and Gebhart make it back before the playoffs healthy. I thought they were saying going into this year that Wahlo was the fastest receiver we had... if so, why doesnt he run a couple of these routes that we always see going deep to Warren...I would figure that Warren would warrant more attention in coverage..maybe they forget about Wahlo completely or leave it as single coverage only and he can break some long catches by outrunning the defense.

coloradobison
11-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Sh*t. Now we know why they're looking at Williams -> WR.

Izzo Twitter:

They said something about this on saturday...can't remember if it was on the radio coverage, or where I heard it though.

Civil06
11-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Can't we just split the fullback out wide?

Bison"FANatic"
11-07-2011, 06:46 PM
They said something about this on saturday...can't remember if it was on the radio coverage, or where I heard it though.

It was last night and SiouxfallsBison posted it in the injury thread.

BISONBRI53
11-07-2011, 07:19 PM
prime time deion sanders!

TOO LEGIT...TOO LEGIT TO QUIT HEY HEY!!! :rofl:

4mcruenomore
11-07-2011, 07:29 PM
I would like to see Dante get on the field at wr, like the spring game.

BisonNeil
11-07-2011, 07:33 PM
The only thing we can assume is that he is just not grasping the offense, which is why we say Hansena and Moody alot yesterday. It is a little alarming to me that Marcus would be a better option at WR than Cooper who has been at the position for 3 years basically. I just hope that Vraa and Gebhart make it back before the playoffs healthy. I thought they were saying going into this year that Wahlo was the fastest receiver we had... if so, why doesnt he run a couple of these routes that we always see going deep to Warren...I would figure that Warren would warrant more attention in coverage..maybe they forget about Wahlo completely or leave it as single coverage only and he can break some long catches by outrunning the defense.

With a broken tibia, I doubt very much Gebhart is coming back. WR is a weak link in this team, has been all year.

EndZoneQB
11-07-2011, 07:34 PM
With a broken tibia, I doubt very much Gebhart is coming back. WR is a weak link in this team, has been all year.

But yet we haven't really noticed?

THEsocalledfan
11-07-2011, 07:37 PM
But yet we haven't really noticed?

Well, I notice Moody playing more and more........

EndZoneQB
11-07-2011, 07:38 PM
Well, I notice Moody playing more and more........

Nothing wrong with that. I saw a couple of pretty big/nice catches this last game.

Bison"FANatic"
11-07-2011, 07:41 PM

It must be a micro fracture if it had to be picked up by MRI. He could be back for the playoffs possibly, maybe even the first game after thanksgiving weekend. Just a guess.

CAS4127
11-07-2011, 07:43 PM
It must be a micro fracture if it had to be picked up by MRI. He could be back for the playoffs possibly, maybe even the first game after thanksgiving weekend. Just a guess.

How many effin injuries has the guy had this season?!!

Civil06
11-07-2011, 07:48 PM

A concussion, a hamstring, and this. I like his blocking from what I've seen so far. Here's Siouxfallsbison's post from the Injury thread:

Gebhart out 3-4 weeks with fracture in tibia. Tried to go Saturday but couldn't stand the pain. Had MRI today. Dr. Said he has had it for awhile. Fricken ".........

Trevor must be pretty tough if he's played with a fractured tibia "for awhile". Glad it looks like he'll be back at some point in the playoffs.

tony
11-07-2011, 07:49 PM

Got knocked out cold and broke a leg - not much you can do about those. Apparently, his leg has had the fracture for a while and he's been practicing through the pain.

Anyway, lots of milk, some playoff wins (and no beer) and Trevor could be back this year.

BlueBisonRock
11-07-2011, 07:50 PM

Concussion, his hamstring for one game and this microfracture.

gotts
11-07-2011, 07:57 PM

The real question you need to be asking is "How long would Mauer milk it?"

I'm not going to question the toughness of Gebhart is he has been playing with a fracture in his leg.

CAS4127
11-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Well, I am not going to beat up on TG--it is what it is. He has played in 6 games and has 10 receptions, so it appears he is and or it was planned for him to be a role player. Just need to find another one for the time that he is or will be out. Hard to believe we have to go with MWill, and that there isn't someone else capable enough!

Twentysix
11-07-2011, 08:07 PM
This could make Mwill a better CB longterm. It could also be a disaster.

walknroehl
11-07-2011, 08:11 PM
What a junk thread. OP thinks this is tecmo bowl we are playing here. I would venture to guess we have thrown "deep" more times than our opponents.

BisonFan02
11-07-2011, 08:21 PM
What a junk thread. OP thinks this is tecmo bowl we are playing here. I would venture to guess we have thrown "deep" more times than our opponents.

Haha! Someone please photoshop the play selection screen on tecmo for the Bison...

HandoEX
11-07-2011, 08:55 PM
WTF are you talking about? The OP asked why Wahlo isn't playing, there was nothing about throwing deep anywhere in his post, only in a response to it.

DjKyRo
11-07-2011, 09:01 PM
I'd say throwing deep more often is a valid course of action if our passing game wasn't already producing - heck, our passing game has carried the running game for most of the season. Why tweak a formula that has us undefeated right now?

Plus it's not like we aren't taking shots downfield.

tony
11-07-2011, 09:07 PM
WTF are you talking about? The OP asked why Wahlo isn't playing, there was nothing about throwing deep anywhere in his post, only in a response to it.

Yeah, I have no idea why Wahlo isn't playing. Good question for Bison Feedback.

DjKyRo
11-07-2011, 09:10 PM
Yeah, I have no idea why Wahlo isn't playing. Good question for Bison Feedback.

I called in last season and asked about Wahlo and the WR who moved to DE (for the life of me can't remember his name - Nick Powell-Calhoun! There we go) and the basic answer about Wahlo was that he was still learning the offense - apparently it was significantly different from what he did in high school and he was still learning enough to be functional in it or something.

Crazy to think he's still learning the offense after three years in the system.

bisonmike2
11-07-2011, 09:13 PM
I called in last season and asked about Wahlo and the WR who moved to DE (for the life of me can't remember his name - Nick Powell-Calhoun! There we go) and the basic answer about Wahlo was that he was still learning the offense - apparently it was significantly different from what he did in high school and he was still learning enough to be functional in it or something.

Crazy to think he's still learning the offense after three years in the system.

You can memorize them in minutes but it takes years to perfect them.

http://www.consoleclassix.com/info_img/Tecmo_Bowl_NES_ScreenShot4.gif

TransAmBison
11-07-2011, 09:19 PM
You can memorize them in minutes but it takes years to perfect them.

http://www.consoleclassix.com/info_img/Tecmo_Bowl_NES_ScreenShot4.gifPOTD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl: