PDA

View Full Version : The Sports Network FCS Playoff Bracket

ALPHAGRIZ1
11-06-2011, 09:51 PM
Could be some great games in our bracket with a chance to meet in the semi finals...................if the final bracket ends up this way

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/fcs/FCS_Bracket.pdf

I started a thread here as well if you guys want to chime in on another site.

http://www.maroonblood.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=505

tojo70
11-07-2011, 01:19 AM
That bracket sucks! Thank God they have been totally wrong in predicting it. I would much rather be in MT. State's position!

ALPHAGRIZ1
11-07-2011, 01:48 AM
You mean losing their first game?

ha ha ha...............

JSUBison
11-07-2011, 02:03 AM
That bracket sucks! Thank God they have been totally wrong in predicting it. I would much rather be in MT. State's position!

Look at SHSU's bracket. Cake walk right there.

MNLonghorn10
11-07-2011, 02:05 AM
honestly i dont get why theres 3 seeds on the #1's side of the bracket, and only 2 on the #2's side...is it always like that?? shouldn it be switched?

southcliffbison
11-07-2011, 02:24 AM
You mean losing their first game?

ha ha ha...............

Yo, Alpha, the griz have a tough match-up in the quarters according to this bracket. UNI ....... no easy task there. Since this game is involves a seated team, the griz would have to travel to Cedar Falls. Not saying the griz couldn't/wouldn't win, but I don't think you want to play there. I suspect a lot will change in the next two weeks. Lotza football left to be played. Go Bison !!

4mcruenomore
11-07-2011, 02:39 AM
That bracket sucks, good thing they are never right.

gotts
11-07-2011, 03:26 AM
honestly i dont get why theres 3 seeds on the #1's side of the bracket, and only 2 on the #2's side...is it always like that?? shouldn it be switched?

It's legit.

In theory, the quarterfinals should have the 4/5 matchup, and if chalk holds, 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 in semis.

#1 would play either the 4 or 5 if they got through, not both.

ALPHAGRIZ1
11-07-2011, 04:02 AM
Yo, Alpha, the griz have a tough match-up in the quarters according to this bracket. UNI ....... no easy task there. Since this game is involves a seated team, the griz would have to travel to Cedar Falls. Not saying the griz couldn't/wouldn't win, but I don't think you want to play there. I suspect a lot will change in the next two weeks. Lotza football left to be played. Go Bison !!

True it would be a tough one to go on the road for but not impossible. You have to win on the road if you want to make it all the way. On top of all this.....the bracket probably wont look like that at the end of the season. Its just something to talk about right now.

MNLonghorn10
11-07-2011, 04:03 AM
It's legit.

In theory, the quarterfinals should have the 4/5 matchup, and if chalk holds, 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 in semis.

#1 would play either the 4 or 5 if they got through, not both.
oh gotcha.

JSUBison
11-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Another thing to remember, if NDSU is ranked #1 at the end of season, that does not guarantee a #1 seed in the playoffs. I'm pretty sure either MSU or EWU were ranked #1 at the end of regular season last year, but App State got the #1 playoff seed. Last year may have been different because of several teams going into the playoffs with just one loss and no undefeated teams. I can't find any of last years end of season polls to see what happened.

HandoEX
11-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Another thing to remember, if NDSU is ranked #1 at the end of season, that does not guarantee a #1 seed in the playoffs. I'm pretty sure either MSU or EWU were ranked #1 at the end of regular season last year, but App State got the #1 playoff seed. Last year may have been different because of several teams going into the playoffs with just one loss and no undefeated teams. I can't find any of last years end of season polls to see what happened.
I think you are correct. The rankings were tight with every seeded team having two losses on the season.

HandoEX
11-07-2011, 04:09 PM
If NDSU is undefeated throughout, there is no way we would be anything but a #1 seed. No way.

ALPHAGRIZ1
11-07-2011, 04:47 PM
If NDSU is undefeated throughout, there is no way we would be anything but a #1 seed. No way.

I agree with you...................but you never know how the NCAA di*kheads will screw you until the day they pick the teams.

Strommer10
11-07-2011, 05:29 PM
I agree with this but stranger things have happened.

southcliffbison
11-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Certainly hope someone can enlighten about these burning questions I've been pondering. Where or when does the bidding war for home games kick in? Does the Price is Right bidding for home games just occur for the first round loser-out games? Does the higher seeded team ( e.g. # 1 vs # 2 ) get guaranteed the home game? Or does GT continually pull out the check book ?

roadwarrior
11-07-2011, 05:48 PM
If you are a seeded team, the highest seed will get the home field (I think).

THEsocalledfan
11-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Certainly hope someone can enlighten about these burning questions I've been pondering. Where or when does the bidding war for home games kick in? Does the Price is Right bidding for home games just occur for the first round loser-out games? Does the higher seeded team ( e.g. # 1 vs # 2 ) get guaranteed the home game? Or does GT continually pull out the check book ?

If I remember correctly (unless it changed from last year), seated teams only have to meet the minimum bid and they get the home game. I assume that if two ranked teams, the higher gets the game.

Everything else is a bidding war. What many forget about the EWU game last year is NDSU would have had the semi-final game at HOME. They would have played Villanova who also were not ranked. When DJ scored the bid TD, I was so excited thinking I was going to Fargo the next weekend.

Also, from what I remember, about the only team who could ever outbid NDSU would be Montana.

GRAFTONBISON
11-07-2011, 05:51 PM

As long as they have put in the minimum bid for that round. All bids for any rounds are due before the playoffs even start. If I remember correctly, the Georgia Southern AD only submitted a bid for the first round last year and would not have had a chance to host any successive games because of that.

southcliffbison
11-07-2011, 05:54 PM

I hope what you say is true because it would be tough to outbid the Montanas of the FCS world; although (come to think of it) .,other than UM, I don't know who else has that kind of cash guarantee to toss in the ring.

Twentysix
11-07-2011, 05:55 PM
If I remember correctly (unless it changed from last year), seated teams only have to meet the minimum bid and they get the home game. I assume that if two ranked teams, the higher gets the game.

Everything else is a bidding war. What many forget about the EWU game last year is NDSU would have had the semi-final game at HOME. They would have played Villanova who also were not ranked. When DJ scored the bid TD, I was so excited thinking I was going to Fargo the next weekend.

Also, from what I remember, about the only team who could ever outbid NDSU would be Montana.

Alot of teams could outbid NDSU.

JMU ASU GSU UM UD etc.

Correct, assuming you bid atleast the minimum to host that round, the minimum bid increases per round.

All of your bids have to be submitted before the playoff field is announced. NDSU will have no idea if it will even be seeded when the bid is submitted.

If you assume you will have a seed and submit only the minimums then don't get a seed you could potentially lose all your home games.

As long as we win out I would count on a top 3 seed, probably #1.

roadwarrior
11-07-2011, 07:16 PM
I am pretty confident that Gene has submitted all the required bids.

EndZoneQB
11-07-2011, 07:28 PM

We aren't going to get outbid.

CAS4127
11-07-2011, 07:33 PM

Was it GS's AD who effed up on this last year?? Stranger things have happened, but, I agree, GT would never eff this one up!!

EndZoneQB
11-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Was it GS's AD who effed up on this last year?? Stranger things have happened, but, I agree, GT would never eff this one up!!

Yep, they thought they would get a chance to rebid again after the first couple of rounds or whatever. Luckily, it didn't matter, but wow what a big screw up.

Twentysix
11-07-2011, 07:39 PM
We aren't going to get outbid.

If we have the #1 seed anything bid over the minimum is pure expense.

If we bid 100,000 for the first game and we are a seed, we instantly lost 70,000 dollars...

If they just wanna host and don't care its a good approach. If they want to host yet stay profitable their are better ways to do it.

EndZoneQB
11-07-2011, 07:42 PM
If we have the #1 seed anything bid over the minimum is pure expense.

If we bid 100,000 for the first game and we are a seed, we instantly lost 70,000 dollars...

If they just wanna host and don't care its a good approach. If they want to host yet stay profitable their are better ways to do it.

We'll still be profitable. Look at it this way:

1. The NCAA will love us
2. Any income from the playoffs is gravy
3. We play at home

At this point, who cares how much money we make extra? I realize it helps the school/program, but a home game helps MORE. Think extras like advertising, corporate recognition of the NDSU product, etc. We have a big enough stadium to bid the max and still make money, no?

Twentysix
11-07-2011, 07:44 PM

1. The NCAA will love us
3. We play at home

At this point, who cares how much money we make extra? I realize it helps the school/program, but a home game helps MORE. Think extras like advertising, corporate recognition of the NDSU product, etc. We have a big enough stadium to bid the max and still make money, no?

I totally agree, but wasting money is also a bad idea.

Remember the cost of hosting is 75% of the gate 100% of the merchandise and your bid.

If we were hemorrhaging $50,000+ dollars per game, Imagine how many womens scholarships could be funded on that....

If 18,000 people buy tickets to the game(pretend that every ticket is the same price) NDSU only gets money for 4500 of them.

roadwarrior
11-07-2011, 07:50 PM
NDSU made money on the Robert Morris game last year. With a bigger name opponent and not a holiday weekend is a huge upside.

gotts
11-07-2011, 07:51 PM

1. The NCAA will love us
3. We play at home

The Fargodome?

Twentysix
11-07-2011, 07:52 PM
The Fargodome?

I would assume whatever leadership ultimately controls athletic finances would care quite a bit.

EndZoneQB
11-07-2011, 07:59 PM
NDSU made money on the Robert Morris game last year. With a bigger name opponent and not a holiday weekend is a huge upside.

Exactly my point. Add in the fact we are potentially entering as the #1 team...not after a wishy-washy season and you have more money to be made.

The Fargodome?

I would assume whatever leadership ultimately controls athletic finances would care quite a bit.

Well, yeah, to a certain extent. Again, like I said, this is all gravy on top of the regular money. It's like getting a bonus in your job...sure, it's nice, but you can't *really* include it in your income when building a budget. It's just that extra that are lucky to get. Maybe I'm being too naive about the business side of it, but I feel like it is more of a big picture type of deal.

Twentysix
11-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Exactly my point. Add in the fact we are potentially entering as the #1 team...not after a wishy-washy season and you have more money to be made.

Well, yeah, to a certain extent. Again, like I said, this is all gravy on top of the regular money. It's like getting a bonus in your job...sure, it's nice, but you can't *really* include it in your income when building a budget. It's just that extra that are lucky to get. Maybe I'm being too naive about the business side of it, but I feel like it is more of a big picture type of deal.

Well im just thinking if you go crazy bidding 100,000+ every round when the minimum would of sufficed you could potentially give up $250,000+(this is ontop of what we are profiting by hosting) if we were to host 4 games that is a big chunk of the remaining shac $$... or it could go into a Football scholarship endowment etc. A few years of that and you have millions packed away.

Bison bison
11-07-2011, 08:03 PM
like I said, this is all gravy on top of the regular money. It's like getting a bonus in your job...sure, it's nice, but you can't *really* include it in your income when building a budget. It's just that extra that are lucky to get. Maybe I'm being too naive about the business side of it, but I feel like it is more of a big picture type of deal.

This was all in the five year plan. A plan that included the Heagle-Williams interception-toss back touchdown.

EndZoneQB
11-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Well im just thinking if you go crazy bidding 100,000+ every round when the minimum would of sufficed you could potentially give up $250,000+(this is ontop of what we are profiting by hosting) if we were to host 4 games that is a big chunk of the remaining shac $$... or it could go into a Football scholarship endowment etc. A few years of that and you have millions packed away.

I get that part of it, but think about how much MORE money we would be losing if we ended playing on the road because we underbid?

gotts
11-07-2011, 08:16 PM
I get that part of it, but think about how much MORE money we would be losing if we ended playing on the road because we underbid?

You are talking about a scenario where we aren't seeded, right?

Bisonguy
11-07-2011, 08:21 PM

Remember the cost of hosting is 75% of the gate 100% of the merchandise and your bid.

If we were hemorrhaging $50,000+ dollars per game, Imagine how many womens scholarships could be funded on that....

If 18,000 people buy tickets to the game(pretend that every ticket is the same price) NDSU only gets money for 4500 of them.

IIRC it's 75% of the gate or the school's bid, whichever is greater.

CAS4127
11-07-2011, 08:29 PM

Hmmm, that one has potential! Just how much less are women's scholarships compared to men's--just askin!!

Twentysix
11-07-2011, 08:32 PM
IIRC it's 75% of the gate or the school's bid, whichever is greater.

Ahh big misunderstanding then. So our bids dont mean anything anyways? even 13000 tickets at 25 bucks each is like 250 grand to the NCAA. The bid is meaningless if that is correct.

Twentysix
11-07-2011, 08:33 PM
Hmmm, that one has potential! Just how much less are women's scholarships compared to men's--just askin!!

Football has to have womens sports to counterbalance it. Using playoff payouts would be very fitting.

Bisonguy
11-07-2011, 08:36 PM
Ahh big misunderstanding then. So our bids dont mean anything anyways?

Well, if Gene bid $500k for a semifinal game it could have a pretty good meaning. I think the bids are supposed to be an estimated 75% of projected attendance, but that's not always what a school will bid. Although if you take for granted that you will be a #1 or 2 seed and only bid the minimum and aren't a seed, you pretty much screwed the pooch for hosting.

Twentysix
11-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Well, if Gene bid $500k for a semifinal game it could have a pretty good meaning. I think the bids are supposed to be an estimated 75% of projected attendance, but that's not always what a school will bid. Although if you take for granted that you will be a #1 or 2 seed and only bid the minimum and aren't a seed, you pretty much screwed the pooch for hosting.

If we are ever paying 500,000 dollars for a game we are no longer FCS.

Hammersmith
11-08-2011, 01:57 AM
A few of you are misunderstanding how the bidding works. The NCAA always takes 75% of the net receipts as well as the money from some other small stuff like game programs. The minimum guarantee or bid for the first and second rounds is $30,000. Say NDSU expects to bring in $250,000 net for a second round game(very feasible). If that number were achieved, the NCAA would take $187,500. So any bid under that amount is a fairly safe bet because the NCAA would get it anyway. But say NDSU guaranteed that $187,500 but only took in $200,000 total. 75% of $200,000 is $150,000, but NDSU would have to give the NCAA the extra $37,500 to satisfy the guarantee.

Where a school could really get in trouble is if the guarantee ends up larger than the net receipts. Say NDSU expects a net of $250k, so bids $187.5k. But something terrible happens between the bidding deadline and the date tickets go on sale. Something that turns the entire Bison fanbase against the team and program. Something on the order of the Penn State scandal. Now, hardly anyone buys tickets. At the end of the day, the school only takes in $100k. All of that would go to the NCAA, plus the school would have to kick in another $87.5k out of it's own pocket. Now, that's a very unlikely scenario. I was going to go with a blizzard scenario, but that wouldn't actually be that bad. Even if the fans couldn't make the game, they still would've bought tickets when they went on sale.

The area where strategy comes into play is when we consider outbidding a larger facility. Montana can outbid us if we both guarantee the basic 75%. For us to force them here in an unseeded match-up, NDSU would have to cut into our 25% of the pie. Say we expect $250k and Montana expects $300k. So we expect Montana to guarantee no more than $225k. To get the game, NDSU decides to forgo almost all revenue and bids $230k. That's dangerous, but it's the only way to have a shot at getting the game. But what if Montana really wants the game? They might look at NDSU's position and say, "There's no way they'll make more than $250k total. So that's what we're going to bid." Montana would still expect to make $50k while forcing NDSU to give up 100% of the expected revenue if we somehow managed to win the bid.

But I doubt it would ever get that far. I expect that NDSU(and Montana, etc.) play it fairly conservative and bid the standard 75% of expectations. And what would the expectations be? I'm guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of 60% capacity for a first round game and 80%+ capacity for second round games onward.

Hope this makes it a bit clearer.

BTW, here are the minimums:
First round: $30,000
Second round: $30,000
Third round: $40,000
Fourth round: $50,000

As you can see, none of them would prove a problem for us.

Also, the deadline for bidding is this Friday. Gene probably started putting the finishing touches on the bids yesterday and either sent them out today or will send them out tomorrow.

Bisonguy
11-08-2011, 02:13 AM
Copy and Paste work pretty well too :) -

Site Determination. With regard to first-round, second-round, quarterfinal and semifinal sites, in addition to the criteria listed in Bylaw 31.1.3.2.1, the NCAA Division I Football
Committee shall consider the following additional criteria when selecting playoff sites:
a. Prospective host institutions must submit the following minimum financial guarantees,
which shall be 75 percent of the estimated net receipts as submitted on the proposed
budget:
First round—$30,000
Second round—$30,000
Quarterfinal—$40,000
Semifinal—$50,000
b. If the minimum financial guarantees are met, the committee will award the playoff
sites to the top five seeded teams.
c. When determining host institutions for playoff games when both teams are unseeded,
criteria shall apply as follows: (1) quality of facility, (2) revenue potential plus
estimated net receipts, (3) attendance history and potential, (4) team’s performance
(e.g., conference place finish, head-to-head results and number of Division I
opponents), and (5) student-athlete well-being (e.g., travel, missed class time).
d. If a second-round, quarterfinal or semifinal playoff site is not available due to the fact
the institutions involved did not submit a proposed budget, the committee will contact
the institutions and offer the opportunity to submit a bid at the current round’s minimum
financial guarantee level. If seeded teams are not involved, the committee will determine
the host institutions by applying the championship site-selection criteria in Bylaw
e. If no institution is willing to submit a proposed budget at the current level, the previous
round’s minimum financial guarantee will be offered. If seeded teams are not involved,
the committee will determine the host institutions by applying the championship siteselection criteria in Bylaw 31.1.3.2.1
f. The committee will consider previous crowd-control measures and crowd behavior of
the prospective host institution.

ALPHAGRIZ1
11-08-2011, 04:33 AM
A few of you are misunderstanding how the bidding works. The NCAA always takes 75% of the net receipts as well as the money from some other small stuff like game programs. The minimum guarantee or bid for the first and second rounds is $30,000. Say NDSU expects to bring in $250,000 net for a second round game(very feasible). If that number were achieved, the NCAA would take $187,500. So any bid under that amount is a fairly safe bet because the NCAA would get it anyway. But say NDSU guaranteed that $187,500 but only took in $200,000 total. 75% of $200,000 is $150,000, but NDSU would have to give the NCAA the extra $37,500 to satisfy the guarantee.

Where a school could really get in trouble is if the guarantee ends up larger than the net receipts. Say NDSU expects a net of $250k, so bids $187.5k. But something terrible happens between the bidding deadline and the date tickets go on sale. Something that turns the entire Bison fanbase against the team and program. Something on the order of the Penn State scandal. Now, hardly anyone buys tickets. At the end of the day, the school only takes in $100k. All of that would go to the NCAA, plus the school would have to kick in another $87.5k out of it's own pocket. Now, that's a very unlikely scenario. I was going to go with a blizzard scenario, but that wouldn't actually be that bad. Even if the fans couldn't make the game, they still would've bought tickets when they went on sale.

The area where strategy comes into play is when we consider outbidding a larger facility. Montana can outbid us if we both guarantee the basic 75%. For us to force them here in an unseeded match-up, NDSU would have to cut into our 25% of the pie. Say we expect $250k and Montana expects $300k. So we expect Montana to guarantee no more than $225k. To get the game, NDSU decides to forgo almost all revenue and bids $230k. That's dangerous, but it's the only way to have a shot at getting the game. But what if Montana really wants the game? They might look at NDSU's position and say, "There's no way they'll make more than $250k total. So that's what we're going to bid." Montana would still expect to make $50k while forcing NDSU to give up 100% of the expected revenue if we somehow managed to win the bid.

But I doubt it would ever get that far. I expect that NDSU(and Montana, etc.) play it fairly conservative and bid the standard 75% of expectations. And what would the expectations be? I'm guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of 60% capacity for a first round game and 80%+ capacity for second round games onward.

Hope this makes it a bit clearer.

BTW, here are the minimums:
First round: $30,000
Second round: $30,000
Third round: $40,000
Fourth round: $50,000

As you can see, none of them would prove a problem for us.

Also, the deadline for bidding is this Friday. Gene probably started putting the finishing touches on the bids yesterday and either sent them out today or will send them out tomorrow.

Great post Hammer, good info.......thanks for sharing.

ndsubison1
11-08-2011, 04:52 AM
im calling NDSU-UNI national title game even with Rennie out. He'll be healthy for the playoffs

90 BISON
11-08-2011, 05:18 AM
Even if this bracket is completely wrong and gives us unfavorable match ups, it gets one thing right 4 MVFC teams. ISU red and blue are both in his field while NDSU and UNI are both seeded. This is very favorable to the Valley. Hope this at least is correct.

ndsubison1
11-08-2011, 06:32 AM
i just dont see 4 mvfc teams. there will likely be 4 from the caa and southern. just not enough spots

Hammerhead
11-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Here is a list of the schools with the highest average attendance last season (including playoff games) that are currently ranked in the top 30 of the GPI index.

GPI School Avg. Attendance
7 Appalachian St 25,715
11 Montana 25,448
15 Old Dominion 19,782
29 Delaware 17,753
5 Ga Southern 17,627
24 James Madison 16,597
1 North Dakota St 15,944
22 Youngstown St 15,110
4 Montana St 14,298
2 UNI 12,997

...Also, from what I remember, about the only team who could ever outbid NDSU would be Montana.

bisonaudit
11-08-2011, 01:33 PM
Even if we lose to YSU we're probably seeded and I'd assume every seeded team would bid at least the minimum so I'd guess our play would be to bid quite conservatively relative to our expected gate.

Beaver Stadium will be full. This thing with Sandusky isn't going to stop those people from buying tickets any more than the Catholic Church thing stops believers from going to mass.

HerdBot
11-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Round 2
Bison
Liberty
Winner Bison

Quarter Finals
Appalachian State @
Bison

Winner Bison

Semi Finals
Montana @