PDA

View Full Version : DJ on Sundays?

CHADSTAUS
11-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Nice article on potential NFL draft picks. Thought it deserved a look.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4447920

DjKyRo
11-04-2011, 04:04 PM
NFL scouts drool over guys that can catch passes and block out of the backfield. I can see DJ being a poor man's Matt Forte, not doing any one element of a RB's game with tremendous success but being very serviceable in all phases of the game. It'd be pretty exciting to see him get picked up by a team.

bisonsupporter
11-04-2011, 04:18 PM
This would be awesome for not only DJ but a recruiting tool for NDSU. I think his splitting time with Sam and the ankle injury might prove to be too much to overcome when being drafted. An undrafted FA signee perhaps.

herdmember
11-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Hopefully he blows up in the playoffs again.

westnodak93bison
11-04-2011, 07:07 PM
How did we miss out on Tom Compton? I think his brother Nick played DE for us?

Hammerhead
11-04-2011, 07:11 PM
I hope he makes it. It seems like many NFL teams have a couple of FCS/DII players on their rosters. Lamar Gordon didn't have spectacular numbers, but he had a few seasons in the NFL. If DJ can take the big hits and stay healthy, he's got a good chance.

EndZoneQB
11-05-2011, 02:26 AM
I hope he makes it. It seems like many NFL teams have a couple of FCS/DII players on their rosters. Lamar Gordon didn't have spectacular numbers, but he had a few seasons in the NFL. If DJ can take the big hits and stay healthy, he's got a good chance.

Gordon would have been legit if he had a work ethic. He filled in well when Faulk got hurt...

MN_BISON
11-05-2011, 02:40 AM
Gordon would have been legit if he had a work ethic. He filled in well when Faulk got hurt...

I remember reading a quote from the Rams head coach about Gordon and how he owed him an apology after they found out how bad the injury to his foot/ankle was at the time. The Ram players talked a lot about how fast Lamar was but I think the injury really put him in a bad place as far as his career was concerned.

99Bison
11-05-2011, 03:01 AM
Seems like a prototypical 3rd down back. Pass blocks well, great hands, runs well in space.

EndZoneQB
11-05-2011, 03:25 AM
Seems like a prototypical 3rd down back. Pass blocks well, great hands, runs well in space.

You can have a long, prosperous career doing that. Can anyone believe Kevin Faulk is still in the NFL?? lol

BisonFan02
11-05-2011, 04:25 AM

This. If DJ could be a better "down and distance" back, especially on 3rd down, he'd be a good pick in the later rounds. Right now, I just think he has a tendency to dance too much rather than take what's there.

344Johnson
11-05-2011, 04:29 AM
This. If DJ could be a better "down and distance" back, especially on 3rd down, he'd be a good pick in the later rounds. Right now, I just think he has a tendency to dance too much rather than take what's there.

He has a tendency to dance, but we all noticed last year in the playoffs he kinda developed the GTFOutta my way! attitude and started playing the way he is capable of.

BisonFan02
11-05-2011, 04:32 AM
He has a tendency to dance, but we all noticed last year in the playoffs he kinda developed the GTFOutta my way! attitude and started playing the way he is capable of.

Exactly. Maybe the ankle has something to do with it, but if DJ can find his playoff mojo, it could be an interesting rest of the year with the amount of talent this team has at all positions.

Gully
11-05-2011, 12:02 PM
I'm just not sure what to think about his ankel. At times I've thought he definitely looked injured but then he's also made some explosive plays and great cuts on other plays. Just hard to tell.

BisonNeil
11-05-2011, 03:10 PM
How did we miss out on Tom Compton? I think his brother Nick played DE for us?

I was wondering the same thing.

Checked Rivals and Scout, he wasn't even listed, so he was under the radar kind of guy who developed I guess.

A1pigskin
11-05-2011, 03:17 PM
I am glad that NDSU is represented. I hope it happens.

kab1one
11-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Like to see bison make it, but if you recall the long run DJ had against the gophers and at the end of the run he was caught from behind at the 5 or so. Sunday players don't get caught on that play. There is something about him the his lacks a step or an inch or 10 pounds. Hope I am wrong, but I don't see him making it.

EndZoneQB
11-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Like to see bison make it, but if you recall the long run DJ had against the gophers and at the end of the run he was caught from behind at the 5 or so. Sunday players don't get caught on that play. There is something about him the his lacks a step or an inch or 10 pounds. Hope I am wrong, but I don't see him making it.

Not every player in the NFL has insane speed.

Gully
11-05-2011, 04:42 PM
Not every player in the NFL has insane speed.

Do they all have CRAZY speed?

344Johnson
11-05-2011, 04:48 PM

Corners run Rb's down all the time.

EndZoneQB
11-05-2011, 04:55 PM

Quite possibly.

BisoninNWMN
11-06-2011, 12:37 PM

This.

DJ is a good FCS RB but he is not an NFL caliber RB.

A1pigskin
11-06-2011, 01:09 PM
He is elusive but probably little slow for NFL.

Hammerhead
11-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Most NFL players have crazy speed. Remember big Jimmy Kleinsasser outrunning our secondary on his way to the end zone in the Fargodome? :(

EndZoneQB
11-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Most NFL players have crazy speed. Remember big Jimmy Kleinsasser outrunning our secondary on his way to the end zone in the Fargodome? :(

Haha, I saw Skyberg at ISU in 08 and brought this up to him. I feel kind of bad that I did tho lol

ndsubison1
11-06-2011, 06:44 PM
i always thought he needed a monster year this season to get some serious looks

Gully
11-06-2011, 06:46 PM

"look at the speed of Jim Kleinsasser" Dana Mogck (sp?)

semobison
11-06-2011, 07:16 PM
"look at the speed of Jim Kleinsasser" Dana Mogck (sp?)

Kleinsasser was a beast! I remember seeing him win the state Shot Put title with a record throw then an hour later he was running anchor on Carringtons 4x400 meter relay team, passing what seemed to be a bunch of little guys down the stretch!

BisonFan02
11-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Kleinsasser was a beast! I remember seeing him win the state Shot Put title with a record throw then an hour later he was running anchor on Carringtons 4x400 meter relay team, passing what seemed to be a bunch of little guys down the stretch!

Don't forget he played basketball for some of those state tourny Carrington teams too....not sure what he didn't do.

WRSDBison
11-06-2011, 07:47 PM

That type of speed is reserved for the firetrucks.

344Johnson
11-06-2011, 07:54 PM
DJ could be a 3rd down back. You can't look me in the eye and tell me that Mewelde Moore is better than DJ anymore...or Kevin Faulk

kab1one
11-06-2011, 08:11 PM

Remember Jim K. ran away from our d backs, not get caught by them. Dj didn't run away from the Gophers d backs that are low in the D-1 pecking order, think he'd get past the LSU guys last night?

Gully
11-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Remember Jim K. ran away from our d backs, not get caught by them. Dj didn't run away from the Gophers d backs that are low in the D-1 pecking order, think he'd get past the LSU guys last night?

No, but most NFL RBs wouldn't get away from the LSU secondary.

EndZoneQB
11-06-2011, 08:24 PM

Adrian Peterson has been caught from behind a few times this year...think we should cut him? Michael Turner almost always gets caught from behind. Maybe the Falcons should let him go, too.

Burst matters WAY more than top end speed. If your 10 yard split is fast and you play fast, it doesn't matter if you run a 4.3 or a 4.6.

CaBisonFan
11-06-2011, 08:32 PM
DJ's style...he slithers. I'm a huge fan. Not sure if this style works in the NFL.

If we were in another conference he'd have well over 1000 yds by now.

A1pigskin
11-06-2011, 09:38 PM

He still is a beast.

bisonhp330
11-06-2011, 09:57 PM
this should be renamed the 'who do we have better than everyone looking through bison blinders'. DJ is a great back for us- but his speed and size are a dime a dozen in the NFL and upcoming players in the NCAA.
I would take last year's DJ over this years anyday- i agree with CAS- something is different.....either he isnt 100% or doesnt think he is.

CaBisonFan
11-06-2011, 10:00 PM
this should be renamed the 'who do we have better than everyone looking through bison blinders'. DJ is a great back for us- but his speed and size are a dime a dozen in the NFL and upcoming players in the NCAA.
I would take last year's DJ over this years anyday- i agree with CAS- something is different.....either he isnt 100% or doesnt think he is.

I would agree. He's an excellent back for us. I have serious doubts about the NFL.

kab1one
11-06-2011, 11:41 PM
Adrian Peterson has been caught from behind a few times this year...think we should cut him? Michael Turner almost always gets caught from behind. Maybe the Falcons should let him go, too.

Burst matters WAY more than top end speed. If your 10 yard split is fast and you play fast, it doesn't matter if you run a 4.3 or a 4.6.

Adrian peterson is getting caught by pro's, the best of the best. I don't think the d back from Minnesota that caught him is in that category. DJ was the third best back on the field yesterday. Is a good back for the bison system. He is not a pro player.

Snowgoose
11-07-2011, 12:31 AM
I agree that DJ was the third best back on the field yesterday. For some reason or another we really struggle to run the ball at times (Mainly against the 3-4), but to me this years team has average backs for Bison standards. Now I believe Ojuri might end up being a top back in the next two years, but he isnt quite there yet. DJ definitely seems to have lost a step in speed this year and has seemed to revert back to his first two years when he danced in the hole a little too much. DJ is going to need quite a break to make a team as a third down back/special teams player and sometimes breaks like that happen just like they did for Danny Woodhead.