PDA

View Full Version : Bison in the FCS and not the FBS

jimmyptubas
11-02-2011, 05:10 AM
I am pretty sure that those who talk about the Bison moving to the FBS are just hypothesizing, and that's actually what I'm doing too. I haven't heard any actual news of this occurring. However, I'm curious as to what people here on Bisonville would think of that. Personally, for now, I want the Bison to stay in the FCS. I would think it would be very unlikely that the Bison would jump from FCS to a BCS conferences ( however with all the shuffling of conferences who knows?) and that is what my hypothesis rests on. I believe, as I think Montana figured out, that there is a certain prestige in the top tier of FCS football. Say for the sake of argument we were accepted into the Mid-American conference: what chance do we and frankly any of these teams have at finishing high enough in the BCS to go to a BCS bowl game?? It may be becuase many of the MAC teams are outside of the FM media market, but I really don't know anything about many of these teams! Bowling Green? Ohio? Buffalo? I know of Toledo because they got some ESPN exposure from playing Ohio State and Boise State. I may be barking up the wrong tree, but I'd rather be top of the FCS than lost in the shuffle of a mid-major that has little to no chance at playing for a BCS title/bowl game.

Thoughts?

TheBisonator
11-02-2011, 05:13 AM
Dammit, I'm trying to pull an all-nighter and get some work done, and here you are starting argument-inducing topics that will end up going 20+ pages...

Are you TRYING to keep me glued to Bisonville???

jimmyptubas
11-02-2011, 05:16 AM
I'm trying to get my first good thread started!

ndsubison1
11-02-2011, 05:18 AM
this topic has run it's course on here

TheBisonator
11-02-2011, 05:19 AM
I'm trying to get my first good thread started!

I know, just joking.

(I lack-uh tha disciprine in doing work more than anything else)

jimmyptubas
11-02-2011, 05:19 AM
this topic has run it's course on here

quite posibly but i was unaware of that

TheBisonator
11-02-2011, 05:22 AM
quite possibly, but was unaware of that

Just for the record jimmy, this is the ultimate wedge issue amongst the Bison fan base. Many lives have been lost fighting over this topic on the battlefield.

My best suggestion is to wait and see how long this 2011 run will take this FB team, then at the end of that, we can maybe revisit it.

jimmyptubas
11-02-2011, 05:24 AM
An unintentional feather ruffler...my apologies :facepalm:

TheBisonator
11-02-2011, 05:27 AM
An unintentional feather ruffler...my apologies :facepalm:

No probs dude. Most fans in a fan base don't really know to what extent the online fans of that team usually talk about.

You're new here, you'll get the hang of BV.

jimmyptubas
11-02-2011, 05:29 AM
Well, i'm hoping to learn...still learning everyone's personalities/beliefs

HerdBot
11-02-2011, 06:33 AM
The FCS is a great level of competition. With 63 scholarships, we're not that far off from the 85 FBS teams get but are dramatically more than the 35 D2 gets. The top FCS teams can compete with and even beat most FBS teams outside of the top 20 ranked teams. The level of competion is great. The conference is great. But the most exciting part of FCS is it has a TRUE PLAYOFF SYSTEM! Nothing outside of a BCS Bowl is better than the FCS playoffs. Your talking about a true National Championship. Every playoff game is tougher than hell and that makes the Championship one heck of an accomplishment. The road to the Championshp is harder since you need to win more games to be Champions. Heck if your an at large team, you need to win 4 games just to get to the Championship game. With the added games means finer tuned teams and better quality football.

I don't think any lower tier bowl would ever excite me as much as the playoffs.

Let's pretend we we go to the MAC and win the title and play a team like Purdue (who we could compete with right now) in a lower tier owl game, would that excite you more than an FCS Championship? Hell as fun as this year has been, it's just starting! Hell we need to win 7 or 8 more games to be National Champions!

jimmyptubas
11-02-2011, 07:34 AM
This was kind of my point exactly even though I did not mention the playoffs! How exciting could the "music city bowl" be when we could be National Champs? I know we are getting ahead of ourselves and it appears there are many who have differing opinions though.

Gully
11-02-2011, 01:20 PM
We need to stay in FCS and focus all extra attention/resources on getting the BSA upgrade done and building the men's bb program's consistency. Then if we want to do more, try to get in the Valley for bb (I know that's a long shot according to Valley fans). To me Valley bb and FCS football are the perfect level for NDSU.

semobison
11-02-2011, 01:25 PM
How many tines have we covered this? Anyway, its a good thread for mid January!

TransAmBison
11-02-2011, 01:36 PM
I can't believe this subject has never come up on Bisonville before. This subject should be discussed at length.

2011 Champions
11-02-2011, 01:41 PM
This was kind of my point exactly even though I did not mention the playoffs! How exciting could the "music city bowl" be when we could be National Champs? I know we are getting ahead of ourselves and it appears there are many who have differing opinions though.

You will learn quickly that there are BUNCH of delusional douche bags on here.

TransAmBison
11-02-2011, 01:42 PM
You will learn quickly that there are BUNCH of delusional douche bags on here.One less when you leave.

aces1180
11-02-2011, 01:47 PM

Shouldn't you be in school?

Oh wait, your test results showed its not worth the cost and trying to teach you would be a waste of resources.

TransAmBison
11-02-2011, 01:52 PM
Shouldn't you be in school?

Oh wait, your test results showed its not worth the cost and trying to teach you would be a waste of resources.I thought that was the whole state. :D

KSBisonFan
11-02-2011, 02:07 PM
We need to stay in FCS and focus all extra attention/resources on getting the BSA upgrade done and building the men's bb program's consistency. Then if we want to do more, try to get in the Valley for bb (I know that's a long shot according to Valley fans). To me Valley bb and FCS football are the perfect level for NDSU.

^^^^^agreed.

tony
11-02-2011, 02:10 PM
Seems like the best conference games from a fan's perspective our SDSU and UNI and NDSU has an NCC history with both teams.

USD will probably be pretty good too. I'd hate to lose those games - I like the blend of old and new.

No_Skill
11-02-2011, 02:19 PM

Nice avatar. It's a shame you couldn't change it to that kittie pic I'm sure you had lined up.

Damn shame.

DePereBisonFan
11-02-2011, 02:23 PM
Seems like the best conference games from a fan's perspective our SDSU and UNI and NDSU has an NCC history with both teams.

USD will probably be pretty good too. I'd hate to lose those games - I like the blend of old and new.

I like the blend, too. I haven't made up my mind about FCS/FBS. The transition to FCS has gone so smoothly it's shaped my view of how a further transition to FBS would go. If the MVFC as a whole made a push for FBS, I'd probably support it in word but probably not financially until I have more income (or my values change) to dispose on such a move. If the Big 10 begged us to join (...), I'd probably throw in a small one-time donation. The atmosphere at TCF this year was something I'd love to have at every game.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
11-02-2011, 03:54 PM
I am pretty sure that those who talk about the Bison moving to the FBS are just hypothesizing, and that's actually what I'm doing too. I haven't heard any actual news of this occurring. However, I'm curious as to what people here on Bisonville would think of that. Personally, for now, I want the Bison to stay in the FCS. I would think it would be very unlikely that the Bison would jump from FCS to a BCS conferences ( however with all the shuffling of conferences who knows?) and that is what my hypothesis rests on. I believe, as I think Montana figured out, that there is a certain prestige in the top tier of FCS football. Say for the sake of argument we were accepted into the Mid-American conference: what chance do we and frankly any of these teams have at finishing high enough in the BCS to go to a BCS bowl game?? It may be becuase many of the MAC teams are outside of the FM media market, but I really don't know anything about many of these teams! Bowling Green? Ohio? Buffalo? I know of Toledo because they got some ESPN exposure from playing Ohio State and Boise State. I may be barking up the wrong tree, but I'd rather be top of the FCS than lost in the shuffle of a mid-major that has little to no chance at playing for a BCS title/bowl game.

Thoughts?

:facepalm: Not this again.......................

duluthbison
11-02-2011, 04:04 PM
:facepalm: Not this again.......................

There should be a counter on the home page that says "We've gone x number of days since our last FBS discussion....." Probably wouldn't get much higher than 1.

BISONBRI53
11-02-2011, 04:11 PM
I met Lakes this weekend and besides every other word being F*ck it was BCS! Kinda funny!

Kermit
11-02-2011, 04:21 PM
...your (2011 Champions) test results showed its not worth the cost and trying to teach you would be a waste of resources.

I agree with your assessment of "our friend" except that we can make a clinical diagnosis--no tests necessary. :D

TheBisonator
11-02-2011, 04:26 PM

27-19

I can use this response all year.

56BISON73
11-02-2011, 04:30 PM

Thats why I dont go to the UNI message board.:rofl:

EndZoneQB
11-02-2011, 10:08 PM

You are still hurt that you lost, aren't you? It's absolutely hilarious.

TheBisonator
11-02-2011, 10:11 PM
You are still hurt that you lost, aren't you? It's absolutely hilarious.

And I'll dig my finger into the wound as long as he keeps it up on here.

CaBisonFan
11-02-2011, 10:15 PM
This is one of my biggest gripes of bisonville. When a relative newcomer wants to bring up a topic, it's new for them. So let's talk. If someone doesn't wanna respond...fine...don't !!

Good post jimmy.

PaBizon
11-02-2011, 10:27 PM

With the name 2011 Champions you must be a Bison fan :)

CaBisonFan
11-02-2011, 10:35 PM

So you keep coming back for more.

tcbison
11-03-2011, 12:27 AM
First of all the MWFC is a great place to be and if you are new here it was a challenge to get into. There were people in the MWFC that didn't want us in. Luckily, we partnered with SDSU and that proved to be the right move. Also, there were people on this board that thought we should stay in the Great West conference. For the people that want us to move up, where are we going to go? Honestly, who will take us? You don't just walk into any conference and in all honestly our location will always hurt us. The WAC is a mess right now, and I don't think we have a lot in common with the MAC. Gully said it right that the best case scenario is Missouri Valley for all sports and maybe someday they move up to FBS. That would be a dream come true IMHO.

ndsubison1
11-03-2011, 04:10 AM

yeah the guys with red chicklets are pretty douchy

56BISON73
11-03-2011, 04:18 AM
With the name 2011 Champions you must be a Bison fan :)

Yes he is here to honor us.

Tatanka
11-03-2011, 12:50 PM
Yes he is here to honor us.

whla wait a second. So if he names a hot dog after us do we have to eventually sue the NCAA?

perthbison
11-03-2011, 01:21 PM
:rofl:
You will learn quickly that there are BUNCH of delusional douche bags on here.I sympathize with you2011. But if it makes it any easier, the pain will go away after a while. The sleepless nights, the deep penetrating searing pain, and the tears should start to eventually lessen starting in about 6 months or so. Hang in there buddy.:rofl:

BisonTeacher
11-03-2011, 11:11 PM
How many tines have we covered this? Anyway, its a good thread for mid January!

So nobody can post anything has been talked about before? Or should we all just check in with you to see if its ok to post something? You can give us the thumbs up or down.

Jimmy...good post. I have thought about the move to FBS a lot. Im not so sure I would like it. 1. I kind of like being the small team that upsets the big schools. 2. We would have to deal with BCS rankings and bowl system. How excited are we for the potential for playoffs right now. That's the one thing that most BCS fans hate...no playoffs. We've got it pretty good right now. Not sure FBS would be as cool as everyone thinks it would

CaBisonFan
11-03-2011, 11:18 PM
So nobody can post anything has been talked about before? Or should we all just check in with you to see if its ok to post something? You can give us the thumbs up or down.

Jimmy...good post. I have thought about the move to FBS a lot. Im not so sure I would like it. 1. I kind of like being the small team that upsets the big schools. 2. We would have to deal with BCS rankings and bowl system. How excited are we for the potential for playoffs right now. That's the one thing that most BCS fans hate...no playoffs. We've got it pretty good right now. Not sure FBS would be as cool as everyone thinks it would

Yeah...yir supposed to scroll through 37 pages to see if it's been covered. But it would be safer to just ask the been-there-done-that committee if it's ok to post.

BisonTeacher
11-03-2011, 11:21 PM
Yeah...yir supposed to scroll through 37 pages to see if it's been covered. But it would be safer to just ask the been-there-done-that committee if it's ok to post.

I'm picturing Caesar on the throne at the roman coliseum. Thumbs down!!!! But instead of getting killed...you just feel shame.

semobison
11-04-2011, 12:26 AM
I'm picturing Caesar on the throne at the roman coliseum. Thumbs down!!!! But instead of getting killed...you just feel shame.

Hey, I ment no disrespect! This topic is a hot one with a lot of different opinions that have been hashed over and over going back years! Sometimes some of us old timers think everyone has been reading BV as long as we have! I guess Im just worn out on this topic, so...ill just stay out of it!

BisonTeacher
11-04-2011, 12:38 AM
Hey, I ment no disrespect! This topic is a hot one with a lot of different opinions that have been hashed over and over going back years! Sometimes some of us old timers think everyone has been reading BV as long as we have! I guess Im just worn out on this topic, so...ill just stay out of it!

And I meant no disrespect to you either. I agree with CA. There are a lot of new people on here...me included. I look forward to coming on here everyday. Posting about things that very few people where I live want to talk about. My wife calls this my "facebook". If you don't like the topic or are tired of something ...thats cool. just don't read it.

CaBisonFan
11-04-2011, 12:49 AM

Nothing personal here either semo.

Mizzou660
11-04-2011, 02:48 AM
North Dakota State to the Big 12? I like it! They'd be the new Nebraska!-- But really... I would like to see North Dakota State go to a BCS conference. A mid-major would be more realistic.---I would also like to say hello to all my fellow Bison fans. This is my first post on Bisonville and I look forward to many more. I'm a relocated Air Force brat born and kinda raised in Minot and now in Missouri. I also attend Northwest Missouri State (Sound's familiar right?...) Looking forward to talking about NDSU! M-I-Z and Go Bison!

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
11-04-2011, 02:58 AM
On a somewhat related topic. Did anyone see the Miami (OH)/Akron game tonight? Man, those MAC schools are god-aweful. I looked at the standings in the MAC and the best teams still have 3 losses. The stands were almost completely empty, even though it was on national TV. The MAC/WAC/Conf. USA, etc. is bush league at best. I honestly think the Valley is a more competitive and closely watched league than those conferences. I don't think those conferences would be a move up in my opinion.

jimmyptubas
11-04-2011, 07:42 AM
I'd just like to say that i interpreted no "ill will" from those who didn't like my post topic. It will take time for us with under 3000 posts to catch up and figure out what is fair game to talk about! I am glad some new people are on here are talking about it and I promise I won't start another thread on this topic until at least Saturday right before the game....:)

Da Bison
11-04-2011, 10:19 AM
North Dakota State to the Big 12? I like it! They'd be the new Nebraska!-- But really... I would like to see North Dakota State go to a BCS conference. A mid-major would be more realistic.---I would also like to say hello to all my fellow Bison fans. This is my first post on Bisonville and I look forward to many more. I'm a relocated Air Force brat born and kinda raised in Minot and now in Missouri. I also attend Northwest Missouri State (Sound's familiar right?...) Looking forward to talking about NDSU! M-I-Z and Go Bison!

Welcome to Bisonville:)

DePereBisonFan
11-04-2011, 01:33 PM
On a somewhat related topic. Did anyone see the Miami (OH)/Akron game tonight? Man, those MAC schools are god-aweful. I looked at the standings in the MAC and the best teams still have 3 losses. The stands were almost completely empty, even though it was on national TV. The MAC/WAC/Conf. USA, etc. is bush league at best. I honestly think the Valley is a more competitive and closely watched league than those conferences. I don't think those conferences would be a move up in my opinion.

One reason I would want to move to FBS is the dream to play - and specifically host - nationally recognized teams, whether in a bowl or the regular season. Nebraska. Wisconsin. Oklahoma State. etc.

I decided to look at Central Michigan's schedule from 2002 - 2011. I chose them because we've played them and destroyed them in their house. I ignored their conference games because none of the teams are interesting.

Sam Houston State
Wyoming
@ Indiana
@ Boston College

@ Michigan
New hampshire
Eastern Kentucky
@ Navy

@ Indiana
@ Michigan State
Southeast Missouri

Indiana
@ Penn State
@ Army

Boston College
@ Michigan
@ Kentucky
Bowl: Middle Tennessee State

@ Kansas
@ Purdue
NDSU
Army
@ Clemson
Bowl: Purdue

Eastern Illinois
@ Georgia
@ Purdue
@ Indiana
Bowl: Florida International

@ Arizona
@ Michigan State
Alcorn State
@ Boston College
Bowl: Troy

Hampton
@ Northwestern
@ Virginia Tech
@ Navy

South Carolina State
@ Kentucky
@ Michigan State
@ NC State

This is the first time I've considered the discussion in this way. CMU's schedule almost looks like glorified FCS - instead of one big FBS away game per year, they have 3. In ten years they've hosted Army once, Boston College once, Indiana once, and Wyoming once (4 games - and had like 25 away) and had one interesting Bowl game (against Purdue). That's it for hosting FBS competition. Not sure what I think about this. It's not what I expected to find.

mnriverbison
11-04-2011, 03:51 PM
It's only going to get more difficult to go FBS with the new NCAA rules allowing 2k per athlete for spending money to be provided by the University. It is just not a realistic option. There is a wide difference between saying "our football team can compete with terrible FBS teams once per year" and "our athletic department has the financial ability to support an entire department while still fully funding an FBS program".

It is the same reason (sans facility) that we can't and shouldn't add a hockey team.