PDA

View Full Version : Hoak Media Contact Info

HerdBot
11-02-2011, 04:41 AM
We all are pissed off because of the garbage quality cameras seen on KVLY. I encourage everyone to contact them. I have many gripes

A) they only have 1 news between 2 channels
B) losing veteran anchors
C) No HD for local productions including sports
D) No HD agreement with DirecTV for locals
E) Constant money battles with channels

Looks like they are making it difficult to complain. Not sure if we need to complain to Valley News Live or to Hoak Media. I say bitch to them all. If you get a response back, post it in this thread.

Hoak Media Corporation
500 Crescent Court, Suite 220
Dallas, Texas 75201
Phone: 972-960-4848
Fax: 972-960-4899
http://hoak.net

I couldn't find the email address but thanks to my favorite website "the internet archive" I pulled it off their website
confidential@hoak.net (NOT SURE IF IT STILL WORKS)

VALLEY NEWS LIVE
Fargo Office
1350 21st Avenue South
Fargo, North Dakota 58103
(701) 282-0444 (Phone)
(701) 282-0743 (Fax)

DAN HAMMER
mailto:danh@valleynewslive.com

Jim Wareham GM
one would assume it is jimw@valleynewslive.com

JustinTyem
11-02-2011, 04:52 AM
Thankyou for giving us the info,Now we have NO REASON to not call and bitch and moan!!!! Lets GIT 'R' Done!!!!!!

bisonmike2
11-02-2011, 05:14 PM
Having the same news broadcast on a CBS and NBC stations is really weird. It really messed with my head when I first lived in Fargo, would tune it to the news, then go do something and come back to the TV being tuned to what I thought was a different station. "I swear to god I was watching NBC. Why the hell is my TV tuned to NCIS!"

Superfan
11-02-2011, 05:41 PM
I don't get it. The last couple of years we've been bitching about getting games on TV. Now we're not happy with the quality? While I agree that the production sucks, if I had the choice between bad production or not on TV I would take bad production. If in a few years the Bison are still getting the TV exposure they have now and the production is still shit then I will start to complain. But right now I'm just happy they're back on TV. Hell just last year we had to flood NBC with calls and emails asking to get games put on the air. Have a little fricken patients people.

MNLonghorn10
11-02-2011, 05:44 PM
Having the same news broadcast on a CBS and NBC stations is really weird. It really messed with my head when I first lived in Fargo, would tune it to the news, then go do something and come back to the TV being tuned to what I thought was a different station. "I swear to god I was watching NBC. Why the hell is my TV tuned to NCIS!"
it is really dumb. i usually only watch valley news when its storming out, because hutch johnson doesnt sleep.

HerdBot
11-02-2011, 06:01 PM
I don't get it. The last couple of years we've been bitching about getting games on TV. Now we're not happy with the quality? While I agree that the production sucks, if I had the choice between bad production or not on TV I would take bad production. If in a few years the Bison are still getting the TV exposure they have now and the production is still shit then I will start to complain. But right now I'm just happy they're back on TV. Hell just last year we had to flood NBC with calls and emails asking to get games put on the air. Have a little fricken patients people.

A few years ago, flatscreens were relatively uncommon. HD was uncommon too. I have since gotten a large flatscreen. The picture looks PHENOMENONAL in HD but in standard definition, it looks worse than my old tube TV. That dramatically changes the way football games look. I feel like I have taken a step backwards. You can hardly find tube tvs anymore.

From an advertising standpoint, it makes us look small time. Is SD better than nothing? Absolutely. But we need to be trying to push the bar higher if were going to take the program to the next level. Watch the Big Ten network and its a whole nother level!

bisonmike2
11-02-2011, 06:11 PM
A few years ago, flatscreens were relatively uncommon. HD was uncommon too. I have since gotten a large flatscreen. The picture looks PHENOMENONAL in HD but in standard definition, it looks worse than my old tube TV. That dramatically changes the way football games look. I feel like I have taken a step backwards. You can hardly find tube tvs anymore.

From an advertising standpoint, it makes us look small time. Is SD better than nothing? Absolutely. But we need to be trying to push the bar higher if were going to take the program to the next level. Watch the Big Ten network and its a whole nother level!

Just to add to your comment. A few years ago they stopped analog broadcasting all together. So now, if you want to watch TV over the air, you either have to have an HDTV with a tuner or a special OTA converter for the old standard boxes. So now broadcasters don't have the excuse that there is no reason to broadcast in HD because it would affect the people who get there stations over the air. They only thing I can think of is cost as I'm sure HD camera's are more expensive.

BisonTeacher
11-02-2011, 06:36 PM
I think I need to chime in on this. I am one of the ones who get extremely pissy about the mispronunciation of the mascot, and the bad announcers etc. However, having said that...I would rather have that, then no game at all. When I went to school, the games were not on TV (Maybe one per year)...so you either went to the game or you didnt see the game. Today...Every Saturday I sit on my couch with my wife and we watch Bison football. We live 4 hours from Fargo. I always think to myself how cool it is that we get to watch the game in the comforts of our own living room. Pretty cool. And very different from when we went to NDSU. I would think a mass complaining email campaign might NOT have the intended effect. If you are going to email...maybe the "catch more flys with honey" approach might work a little better. ..."Thanks so much for broadcasting the Bison game last weekend, Is there any plans to get the games in HD in the future?"

Superfan
11-02-2011, 08:57 PM
I think I need to chime in on this. I am one of the ones who get extremely pissy about the mispronunciation of the mascot, and the bad announcers etc. However, having said that...I would rather have that, then no game at all. When I went to school, the games were not on TV (Maybe one per year)...so you either went to the game or you didnt see the game. Today...Every Saturday I sit on my couch with my wife and we watch Bison football. We live 4 hours from Fargo. I always think to myself how cool it is that we get to watch the game in the comforts of our own living room. Pretty cool. And very different from when we went to NDSU. I would think a mass complaining email campaign might NOT have the intended effect. If you are going to email...maybe the "catch more flys with honey" approach might work a little better. ..."Thanks so much for broadcasting the Bison game last weekend, Is there any plans to get the games in HD in the future?"

That's what I'm saying! The HD will come. Eventually every TV station on earth will have HD. But for now, I'm happy having them on TV. If in 3 years there it is still the same production, then I will start sending nasty grams.

No_Skill
11-02-2011, 09:28 PM
We are the consumers and we need to tell the providers what we want. Telling them is the only way to show that it's important to us.

BisonTeacher
11-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Im not saying be complacent. Just do it in the right way.

EndZoneQB
11-02-2011, 10:05 PM
Just to add to your comment. A few years ago they stopped analog broadcasting all together. So now, if you want to watch TV over the air, you either have to have an HDTV with a tuner or a special OTA converter for the old standard boxes. So now broadcasters don't have the excuse that there is no reason to broadcast in HD because it would affect the people who get there stations over the air. They only thing I can think of is cost as I'm sure HD camera's are more expensive.

Again, the CAMERA'S ARE NOT THE EXPENSIVE PART. I GUARANTEE they have been using HD camera's for a minimum of 3 years, probably longer. The expensive part is something to do with the conversion at the station. And frankly, I don't think it's *that* expensive, they just know they aren't going to see a return on their investment. I also know WDAY won't do it until someone else in town does it, which is why we have no HD channels in town. If WDAY just did it, everyone else would follow suit. Take it to the bank.

DrZ
11-02-2011, 10:28 PM
I agree with everything said. Realistically, it's tough to make a profit to pay for HD camera's, production, announcers (not a budget breaker here) and oh, don't forget Carol the media timeout guru on the field. They are only charging $250 per spot during these last few games, a bargain in this world of $40 radio spots! I don't like the two station single newscast either but the reality is there isn't enough ad volume dollars to support 4 full time news teams in this market. The more advertisers that step up for game spots the more competition there will be for the ad space. If that happens ad prices will go up justifying the investment in new equipment. I'm not part of KVLY/KXJB but I do occasionally run ads during Bison games.

Bisonwinagn
11-03-2011, 02:21 AM
That's what I'm saying! The HD will come. Eventually every TV station on earth will have HD. But for now, I'm happy having them on TV. If in 3 years there it is still the same production, then I will start sending nasty grams.

The HD didn't bother me as much as the announcers who really seemed clueless at times. If I didn't know who the teams were I would have sworn this was a ND high school game. The broadcasts were better in the early 90's than they were last weekend.