PDA

View Full Version : Computer help

Pages : [1] 2 3

56BISON73
11-01-2011, 11:41 PM
Got a new laptop. Everytime I open a page its about half size and have to cick maximiz button. What can I do so I dont have to do that all them time. TIA

EndZoneQB
11-01-2011, 11:44 PM
What browser? When you open the browser it's a small size, or if you change websites it gets smaller*?

*TWSS

56BISON73
11-01-2011, 11:48 PM
What browser? When you open the browser it's a small size, or if you change websites it gets smaller*?

*TWSS

IE when I change websites it goes back to smaller

99Bison
11-02-2011, 01:51 AM
1. Close all browser windows.
2. Open a browser window.
3. While it's small (not maximized) drag the edge (usually the bottom right corner) to make the window whatever size you want.
4. Then close all the browser windows you have open and relaunch.
5. Should be at larger size now.

CAS4127
11-02-2011, 03:04 AM
PL??!! I can not effin believe u did not call or pm me about this--u know I could solved the issue immediately!! We need to talk!!

56BISON73
11-02-2011, 03:18 AM
PL??!! I can not effin believe u did not call or pm me about this--u know I could solved the issue immediately!! We need to talk!!

You were next on the list. Really!!!

56BISON73
11-02-2011, 03:19 AM
1. Close all browser windows.
2. Open a browser window.
3. While it's small (not maximized) drag the edge (usually the bottom right corner) to make the window whatever size you want.
4. Then close all the browser windows you have open and relaunch.
5. Should be at larger size now.

It wouldnt do it so found an option for full screen. That works pretty well.

UTH
11-02-2011, 04:33 AM
It wouldnt do it so found an option for full screen. That works pretty well.

While holding Alt, hit Enter.*

*make sure that the correct tab is open, or else it will delete the file:confused:

56BISON73
11-02-2011, 05:17 PM
While holding Alt, hit Enter.*

*make sure that the correct tab is open, or else it will delete the file:confused:

Hey that works also. Thanks.

Notorious
11-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Hey that works also. Thanks.

Shouldn't you be slinging drinks instead of looking at teh internets?...btw...you should make the move from webcrawler to google....or, at least that's what I've heard.

56BISON73
11-03-2011, 02:08 AM
Shouldn't you be slinging drinks instead of looking at teh internets?...btw...you should make the move from webcrawler to google....or, at least that's what I've heard.

Google??? Is that some new fangled computer talk?

TransAmBison
11-03-2011, 12:16 PM
PL, just wipe the whole hard drive and start over.*

*How do you wipe a hard drive you ask? Well submerge the whole computer in warm water with Dawn dishsoap. Make sure to not have plugged in unless you are a Montana football player as they have built up a tolerance to electricity.

Tatanka
11-03-2011, 01:52 PM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/tech_support_cheat_sheet.png

56BISON73
11-24-2011, 11:19 PM
Ok heres another issue. When I use my lap top at home its pretty slow. Does this have abything to do with my router. Its is a linkys and may be 5-7 years old. Does linksys have updayes for old routers or should I just go out and buy a new one?

BisonBabe
11-25-2011, 12:43 AM
Ok heres another issue. When I use my lap top at home its pretty slow. Does this have abything to do with my router. Its is a linkys and may be 5-7 years old. Does linksys have updayes for old routers or should I just go out and buy a new one?

You may be better off getting a new router...or if you modem is older switch out for a wireless modem and skip the router.

Bisonfan1
11-25-2011, 01:59 PM
I would really love to get my computer broadcast to be shown on my tv, like when some of these other playoff games are on ESPN3. I went to radio shack and all i got was a dumb look, really ??? So at any rate i have a set top box on my tv, and it is the old style with just the coax cable input, is there any way to do this ? any help would be appreciated. Signed Computer Idiot Bisonfan1

BisonCountry
11-25-2011, 02:27 PM
I would really love to get my computer broadcast to be shown on my tv, like when some of these other playoff games are on ESPN3. I went to radio shack and all i got was a dumb look, really ??? So at any rate i have a set top box on my tv, and it is the old style with just the coax cable input, is there any way to do this ? any help would be appreciated. Signed Computer Idiot Bisonfan1
You'll need to find what kind of Video/Audio output options you have coming out your PC first (if any) but regardless you'll more than likely need to buy an RF Modulator ($20) in order to use a coax connection on a TV.

Edit: found this website that might help you http://hookpctotv.com/

Bisonfan1
11-25-2011, 03:41 PM
You'll need to find what kind of Video/Audio output options you have coming out your PC first (if any) but regardless you'll more than likely need to buy an RF Modulator ($20) in order to use a coax connection on a TV.

Edit: found this website that might help you http://hookpctotv.com/

That website explained everything, thank you very much.

56BISON73
11-25-2011, 03:46 PM

Yeah, likely excuse. As soon as you get the hook up we wont see you at home games anymore. You will just be sitting back at home sipping your home made cheap lattes watching the Bison on TV. :fight:

Bisonfan1
11-25-2011, 03:56 PM
Yeah, likely excuse. As soon as you get the hook up we wont see you at home games anymore. You will just be sitting back at home sipping your home made cheap lattes watching the Bison on TV. :fight:

And your point is ? I WAS going to knit you some Bison mittens while watching the game on TV sipping home made cheap lattes, but not now buddy for narking me off. :D

UTH
11-25-2011, 08:11 PM

Riddle me this, Mr. Genius... Would you rather he take up prime real estate in the FFD napping with knitting needles in his lap, or would you rather he open that seat up to a more appreciative fan and do this on his couch at home???

Hammersmith
11-26-2011, 02:28 AM
We might be able to fix this without a new purchase, but first I'm going to need a bit of information, and I'm going to go into teacher mode for a bit.

Wireless networks are governed by an electrical engineering specification known as 802.11(pronounced eight-oh-two-dot-eleven). There are three versions that have been typically used for home systems: 802.11b, 802.11g, and 802.11n(or b, g & n). 802.11b has been obsolete for a number of years. It was great when the internet was mainly used for surfing web pages and the occasional music download, but it chokes on video. 802.11g is a big upgrade from b and is still in use. It can handle HD content like ESPN3, but only one stream at a time. If you've got a couple laptops watching HD content while using your smartphone for something else, then g is going to have problems. The current standard is 802.11n. It's designed for multiple devices streaming HD content at the same time. The thing is, they are all compatible with each other. A g laptop can communicate with an n router without any problems; they just drop down to the best standard they have in common. In this case, g.

So we need to know what your laptop and router are capable of, and then find out if they are actually communicating at that level. It's been known to happen that two g devices can hiccup and start communicating at b speeds for no good reason. If that's happening to you, we can bump your speed up with just a few setting changes. I'm going to assume that you are running Windows 7 or Vista on your laptop. First, let's check what speed your network is running at. Go to the bottom right corner of the screen and click on the signal strength meter(the stairstepping thing). All the available wireless networks should appear with your network at the top and it should say "Connected" next to your signal strength. Hover the cursor over your network and a box should appear with a bunch of information like this:

Name: (your network name)
Signal Strength: Excellent (if it says anything else, let me know)
Security Type: WPA2-PSK (it should say some version of WPA - if it says Unsecured or WEP, let me know; those are bad*)
Radio Type: 802.11n (if it says 802.11b, let me know)
SSID: (same as first line)

*unless you have a networked Wii, then WEP is the best you can do

Let's also see your network speed. With your cursor on the same spot as before, right-click and then click on Status. Just above the first green bars should be a line that reads "Speed". 802.11b should be 11Mbps, g should be 54Mbps, and n should be somewhere between 150Mbps and 600Mbps depending on your hardware(300Mbps being the most common).

Next, we need to find out what you've got for a router and built-in wireless card. Click on your Start Button and then click "Network" on the right side of the menu. On the main portion of the screen, there should be a category called "Network Infrastructure" with your router listed. Right click it and then click on Properties. A box will appear and you need to click on the "Network Device" tab at the top. On this page, the manufacturer and model of your router should be listed. Give me that info and I'll find out what it's capable of.

Now close that box and go back to the Network page. Toward the top, it should say "Network and Sharing Center". Click it. On the left side will be a link for "Change adapter settings". Click it. There will probably be two or three options: "Local Area Connection" (this is your Ethernet port), "Wireless Network Connection" (this is the one we want) and maybe a listing for an old-style phone modem(this might also be a Local Area Connection). Under the "Wireless Network Connection", there should be two lines of info. The first line is the name of your network that you saw back in the info box. The last line should be the name of the wireless card in your laptop. There's a good chance that it will say Intel followed by a model number, but it could be something different(for instance, mine is a cheap knockoff made by Atheros). Note that info down. If that info isn't showing, right click on the wireless connection and click properties. A box should appear with the info you need toward the top(Connect using: ...).

Here's all of the info I need. Copy it, paste it, fill it out, and reply it.

Radio Type(from info box):
Speed(from Status):
Router manufacturer and model(from Network): Linksys
Wireless card manufacturer and model(from Network and Sharing Center):

Get me that info and I'll do a little digging to find out what you need.

td577
11-26-2011, 02:54 AM
Get a wireless router.
Get a Roku for $60 and set up a PlayOn channel for espn3.
Get a decent TV, since now you can watch more stuff.
Watch Espn3 and every other streamed outlet out there through the roku.

56BISON73
11-26-2011, 03:05 AM
We might be able to fix this without a new purchase, but first I'm going to need a bit of information, and I'm going to go into teacher mode for a bit.

Wireless networks are governed by an electrical engineering specification known as 802.11(pronounced eight-oh-two-dot-eleven). There are three versions that have been typically used for home systems: 802.11b, 802.11g, and 802.11n(or b, g & n). 802.11b has been obsolete for a number of years. It was great when the internet was mainly used for surfing web pages and the occasional music download, but it chokes on video. 802.11g is a big upgrade from b and is still in use. It can handle HD content like ESPN3, but only one stream at a time. If you've got a couple laptops watching HD content while using your smartphone for something else, then g is going to have problems. The current standard is 802.11n. It's designed for multiple devices streaming HD content at the same time. The thing is, they are all compatible with each other. A g laptop can communicate with an n router without any problems; they just drop down to the best standard they have in common. In this case, g.

So we need to know what your laptop and router are capable of, and then find out if they are actually communicating at that level. It's been known to happen that two g devices can hiccup and start communicating at b speeds for no good reason. If that's happening to you, we can bump your speed up with just a few setting changes. I'm going to assume that you are running Windows 7 or Vista on your laptop. First, let's check what speed your network is running at. Go to the bottom right corner of the screen and click on the signal strength meter(the stairstepping thing). All the available wireless networks should appear with your network at the top and it should say "Connected" next to your signal strength. Hover the cursor over your network and a box should appear with a bunch of information like this:

Name: (your network name)
Signal Strength: Excellent (if it says anything else, let me know)
Security Type: WPA2-PSK (it should say some version of WPA - if it says Unsecured or WEP, let me know; those are bad*)
Radio Type: 802.11n (if it says 802.11b, let me know)
SSID: (same as first line)

*unless you have a networked Wii, then WEP is the best you can do

Let's also see your network speed. With your cursor on the same spot as before, right-click and then click on Status. Just above the first green bars should be a line that reads "Speed". 802.11b should be 11Mbps, g should be 54Mbps, and n should be somewhere between 150Mbps and 600Mbps depending on your hardware(300Mbps being the most common).

Next, we need to find out what you've got for a router and built-in wireless card. Click on your Start Button and then click "Network" on the right side of the menu. On the main portion of the screen, there should be a category called "Network Infrastructure" with your router listed. Right click it and then click on Properties. A box will appear and you need to click on the "Network Device" tab at the top. On this page, the manufacturer and model of your router should be listed. Give me that info and I'll find out what it's capable of.

Now close that box and go back to the Network page. Toward the top, it should say "Network and Sharing Center". Click it. On the left side will be a link for "Change adapter settings". Click it. There will probably be two or three options: "Local Area Connection" (this is your Ethernet port), "Wireless Network Connection" (this is the one we want) and maybe a listing for an old-style phone modem(this might also be a Local Area Connection). Under the "Wireless Network Connection", there should be two lines of info. The first line is the name of your network that you saw back in the info box. The last line should be the name of the wireless card in your laptop. There's a good chance that it will say Intel followed by a model number, but it could be something different(for instance, mine is a cheap knockoff made by Atheros). Note that info down. If that info isn't showing, right click on the wireless connection and click properties. A box should appear with the info you need toward the top(Connect using: ...).

Here's all of the info I need. Copy it, paste it, fill it out, and reply it.

Radio Type(from info box):
Speed(from Status):
Router manufacturer and model(from Network): Linksys
Wireless card manufacturer and model(from Network and Sharing Center):

Get me that info and I'll do a little digging to find out what you need.

This is my old lap top Dell Inspiron 6000, windows XP, 54 mbps,excellent, Intel R pro wireless 2915abg. Linksys WRT54G

Hammersmith
11-26-2011, 03:36 AM
This is my old lap top Dell Inspiron 6000, windows XP, 54 mbps,excellent, Intel R pro wireless 2915abg. Linksys WRT54G
Okay, a new router alone won't help you. To get faster internet speed over your wireless connection, you would need both a new router and a new wireless card for your laptop. Your bottleneck is probably either the laptop itself or your connection to your ISP(cable or phone company or wherever you get your internet from).

Let's go back to your first comment that your laptop is slow. Is it slow at home but not on the road, or is it slow all the time? If it's the latter, it's probably just that your laptop is getting old and you didn't notice it until you got your new desktop some months ago. Some extra RAM might help if you currently have 1GB or less. Other than that, you're probably SOL. If it's the former, then is the internet on your desktop also slow? If both are slow, then it's probably your internet bandwidth. If your laptop is fast on the road but slow at home, and your desktop is fast at home, then maybe a new router and wireless card are in order. But I really doubt that. My internet speed through Cableone is 50mbps. That's really fast for home use. There are faster speeds available, but 50mbps is in the top class of realistic speeds. Only on the rare occasions that I might max out my internet connection would your router have a hard time keeping up(my internet = 50mbps, your wireless = 54mbps). Your problem is probably elsewhere.

56BISON73
11-26-2011, 04:00 AM
Okay, a new router alone won't help you. To get faster internet speed over your wireless connection, you would need both a new router and a new wireless card for your laptop. Your bottleneck is probably either the laptop itself or your connection to your ISP(cable or phone company or wherever you get your internet from).

Let's go back to your first comment that your laptop is slow. Is it slow at home but not on the road, or is it slow all the time? If it's the latter, it's probably just that your laptop is getting old and you didn't notice it until you got your new desktop some months ago. Some extra RAM might help if you currently have 1GB or less. Other than that, you're probably SOL. If it's the former, then is the internet on your desktop also slow? If both are slow, then it's probably your internet bandwidth. If your laptop is fast on the road but slow at home, and your desktop is fast at home, then maybe a new router and wireless card are in order. But I really doubt that. My internet speed through Cableone is 50mbps. That's really fast for home use. There are faster speeds available, but 50mbps is in the top class of realistic speeds. Only on the rare occasions that I might max out my internet connection would your router have a hard time keeping up(my internet = 50mbps, your wireless = 54mbps). Your problem is probably elsewhere.

The lap top is 1.60 GHz proc, 512 MB Ram, 70.1 GB Hard drive. At some hotels it moves right along. Others not so good. They got a new modem at my partners place in prior Lake because they now get 10Megs and it works fine there. Before it ways way slow. I was wondering if I need to reinstall the OS? Will that help? Its been about 4 years since Ive done that. I just remembered that on occation I would get a pop up that said my wireless adapter was disconnecting when I would unplug the power supply. Iam am at second tier on speed at home. Up to 3megs.

I did update the firmware on the router and its doing better but still not great.

56BISON73
11-26-2011, 05:43 AM
Just did a speed test on my desk top and then the lap top. Both almost the same. Does this lend to the lap top being the problem?

UTH
11-26-2011, 07:25 AM
Just did a speed test on my desk top and then the lap top. Both almost the same. Does this lend to the lap top being the problem?

Haven't really been wanting to bring this up, but... Methinks you might need to take it in for a thorough checkup. For STDs. Good luck.

TransAmBison
11-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Haven't really been wanting to bring this up, but... Methinks you might need to take it in for a thorough checkup. For STDs. Good luck.You've seemed to slow down this last year...

Tatanka
11-26-2011, 02:18 PM
Wii is compatible with WPA and WPA2 although not WPA2-PSK TKIP for some reason. AES works fine though.

Hammersmith
11-26-2011, 03:38 PM
Wii is compatible with WPA and WPA2 although not WPA2-PSK TKIP for some reason. AES works fine though.
Oops, it was the DS, not the Wii.

bri-dog
11-26-2011, 03:42 PM
I gots me one of them fancy router tables and set my router on it. Can't tell if my computer works any better, though.

http://media.insidewoodworking.com/router-table-porter-cable-6981.jpg

Tatanka
11-26-2011, 03:57 PM
Oops, it was the DS, not the Wii.

I'm just happy to get a word in edgewise in my chosen field. :) Well done Hammer...

BisonBabe
11-27-2011, 02:14 PM
I am just happy to be using a modem only instead of a modem & router. Upgraded to a wireless modem with Midco a few months back so that has made things a lot easer...no more having the router stop communicating with the modem. As the router was outdated as was our old modem it saved money to buy just the modem. And the kids are much happier since they can now get online with their DSI's

ndsubison1
11-29-2011, 04:05 AM
didnt want to start a new thread. but where is a good place to buy a new laptop in fargo? thx

duluthbison
11-29-2011, 04:22 AM
didnt want to start a new thread. but where is a good place to buy a new laptop in fargo? thx

That depends on what you are looking for. If you do a little research and compare prices, there is no reason to avoid some of the big box stores - just remember to stick to what you want and don't listen to the sales people. The bigger stores are often in heated competition with each other which leads to lower prices for you.

When I went to best buy to get my first laptop in 2007 I wanted this hp with an intel chipset inside. The sales guy tried telling me that they didn't have any (when their website said they did) then he tried to steer me towards a more expensive model with AMD inside. I told him no repeatedly, he eventually went into the back and 10 minutes later he "found" the last one that I wanted.

You just need to know what you want and stick with it.

BisonBabe
11-29-2011, 09:40 AM
I like Sam's Club. I have purchased 2 laptops & a desktop from them (all HP) and been very happy. But the key is to shop around.

56BISON73
11-29-2011, 02:25 PM
Go to woot.com

UTH
11-29-2011, 06:03 PM
www.newegg.com (http://www.newegg.com) is a dandy place, too.

CAS4127
11-29-2011, 06:30 PM
I was going to chime in with my tech insight, but I see too many others already beat me to it!!:biggrin:

Hammersmith
11-29-2011, 07:27 PM
It's not for everyone, but I like factory refurbished models. At least one company(Fujitsu), sells theirs on ebay. My laptop was originally priced at almost $2k, but I got it for less than $750 after a few tries. You're on your own after 90 days, so I wouldn't recommend it for those that rely on tech support.

I'll also second newegg.

56BISON73
11-29-2011, 10:04 PM
My new lap top I got from Woot and its refurbished. Its got 4 wheel drive. I swear.

BadlandsBison
11-29-2011, 11:37 PM
My lab top suddenly stopped detecting wireless signals. Somebody save me with their knowledge

CarringtonBison
11-30-2011, 12:29 AM
My lab top suddenly stopped detecting wireless signals. Somebody save me with their knowledge

Drive immediately out of the trailer park and try again... noob

Hammersmith
11-30-2011, 12:33 AM
Just making sure, but does your laptop have a button somewhere on the top, front or sides that turns wifi on/off? For example, some HPs have a button next to the power button above the keyboard. If it's blue, wifi is on; if it's red/orange, wifi is off. On other HPs, it's part of a strip that runs along the top of the chassis. Again, blue=on, red=off.

BlueBisonRock
11-30-2011, 01:58 AM

Find and turn the radio switch back on.

Hammersmith
12-05-2011, 12:52 AM
Okay, this is weird. The only website I can connect to is Bisonville. I can't even connect to Google. It's looking like a DNS error. Are there any other Cableone customers having internet problems tonight?

BisonBabe
12-05-2011, 01:33 AM
Okay, this is weird. The only website I can connect to is Bisonville. I can't even connect to Google. It's looking like a DNS error. Are there any other Cableone customers having internet problems tonight?

Please tell me how this is a bad thing???

Hammersmith
12-05-2011, 01:46 AM
Please tell me how this is a bad thing???
Well, eventually I lost Bisonville too. I tried to call Cableone, but the line was busy. At that point I figured I wasn't the only one having problems. A little bit of Sunday Night Football plus Lego Harry Potter to kill some time and their DNS server was back up and running when I got back.

Castor Troy
12-05-2011, 01:55 AM
I am having the same issues. Cableone's 1-877 number and 0033 numbers are not working. But I can only get bisonville.

BlueBisonRock
12-05-2011, 02:11 AM
I am having the same issues. Cableone's 1-877 number and 0033 numbers are not working. But I can only get bisonville.

Is it possible that the Angry Elf has a dastardly and ingenious plan to foil teh ESPN?

56BISON73
12-05-2011, 02:12 AM

Had the same problem here at the hotel.

Bison bison
12-05-2011, 02:18 AM
No problems for me.

I came home tonight after putting in a couple of extra hours at the mill.

My four-year-old son was on my laptop playing some game.

I sat down in my chair, he quits his game, opens up bisonville, and brings the laptop over to me.

99Bison
12-05-2011, 02:53 AM

I have seen this with two other cable one customers in the past week asking me what's going on. It surely looks like DNS, it's been looking like some sort of automated attack on their DNS (eg. one their servers is being "updated" incorrectly intentionally).

Bisonguy
12-05-2011, 03:00 AM
Yeah, it's been intermittent since about 7:30 or 8:00 tonight. Even bisonville had a DNS error a couple of times.

Cableone. Watch us make you say FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hammersmith
12-05-2011, 03:07 AM
Try resetting your cable modem, router, and computer in that order.

Also, try clearing your DNS cache:

Click the Start button .

In the search box, type command prompt.

In the list of results, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

At the command prompt, type ipconfig /flushdns.

NDSUstudent
12-05-2011, 03:12 AM
I had this same problem at my parent's house, fing cableone. Thankfully I have CenturyLink at my house so now I'm problem free.

BadlandsBison
12-05-2011, 03:13 AM
Yeah, it's been intermittent since about 7:30 or 8:00 tonight. Even bisonville had a DNS error a couple of times.

Cableone. Watch us make you say FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rofl: :rofl:

56BISON73
08-23-2012, 03:41 AM
Need some help. I was cleaning the key board on my lap top. I must have pushed some keys as the text and emocons are distorted a little as they seem stretched out from left to right. Whats up with this?

Tatanka
08-23-2012, 04:03 AM
Probably changed your display resolution inadvertently.

Wait, we're still talking computer problems, right?

56BISON73
08-23-2012, 04:05 AM
Probably changed your display resolution inadvertently.

Wait, we're still talking computer problems, right?

SOooooooo how do I fix it????????????????????????????????

Tatanka
08-23-2012, 04:11 AM

Well, now that you asked :D depending on your computers OS you should be able to change it back by right clicking on your desktop and selecting Display Resolution or in the case of windows xp do this http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/display_change_screen_resolution.mspx?mfr=true

Ross
08-23-2012, 04:13 AM

Go to your control panel and find the "Display" icon and you can change your settings there. Did that help you out?

Hammersmith
08-23-2012, 04:14 AM
Try minimizing or closing everything so you can see the desktop. Move your cursor to a blank spot and right click. Click screen resolution. Click the box that says resolution and move the slider to the notch that says recommended - it should be the top-most selection. Give that a try. (I'm assuming you're running Windows 7)

Option 2: You may have changed the zoom settings on your web browser. Hold down the ctlr key and press -/+ until it looks normal.

Tatanka
08-23-2012, 04:17 AM
SOooooooo how do I fix it????????????????????????????????just sit back and wait. Gabe will start a new thread so ridiculous the characters on your screen will shrink automatically rather than be part of it.

JackJD
08-23-2012, 04:18 AM
You're all wrong. I've seen 56Bison's laptop.

56Bison: following these instructions exactly as written.

1. Turn your laptop upside down so that the black bottom is facing up and the red top (with the two white control buttons) is facing down.
2. Shake it moderately hard so that the screen resets with all the little silver-gray stuff spread evenly on the inside of the screen.
3. Turn right side up and check both white control buttons to make sure they are functioning.

Rockbear99
08-23-2012, 04:25 AM

Try cleaning your keyboard again but do opposite of what you did the first time. LOL

DjKyRo
08-23-2012, 04:35 AM
MFW when reading every page of this thread.

56BISON73
08-23-2012, 04:43 AM
Well, now that you asked :D depending on your computers OS you should be able to change it back by right clicking on your desktop and selecting Display Resolution or in the case of windows xp do this http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/display_change_screen_resolution.mspx?mfr=true

Thank you kind sir!!!! FIXED We are up and running!!!!

KSBisonFan
08-23-2012, 02:05 PM
http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q598/jghoffman12/nick_burns.jpg

56BISON73
08-24-2012, 06:06 AM
One huge problem---the place I am staying at has shit for internet service. Its wireless but the speed reminds me of dial up.
What can I do to get better internet speed????

BisonTeacher
08-24-2012, 12:46 PM
What os are you using. By default i think windows limits bandwidth by 20% you can change that to zero and it might help some. Google windows bandwidth usage. I believe its in the group policy editor.

GradBison
08-24-2012, 04:34 PM
One huge problem---the place I am staying at has shit for internet service. Its wireless but the speed reminds me of dial up.

Not much you can do Pat, some hotels internet is just slow.

You can go to www.speedtest.net to rule out issues with your computer.

Edit: I should clarify, the website above is only for testing your connection speed and not for identifying issues with your PC. They will probably be ads there trying to sell you software to "speed up your computer" 99% of those are scams. Just click on the "Begin Test" button once the page loads to test your connection speed.

Twentysix
08-24-2012, 05:15 PM
Not much you can do Pat, some hotels internet is just slow.

You can go to www.speedtest.net to rule out issues with your computer.

Edit: I should clarify, the website above is only for testing your connection speed and not for identifying issues with your PC. They will probably be ads there trying to sell you software to "speed up your computer" 100% of those are scams. Just click on the "Begin Test" button once the page loads to test your connection speed.

f i f y

Tatanka
08-24-2012, 05:47 PM

Possible alternative (with a nominal cost) is to get yourself a WiMax modem from I-29.net (their office is over off of 45th by JT Cigarros). I don't think they require a contract so you should be able to go month-to-month for as long as you're in town. Should be around $30-35 or so per month for 768kbps Internet service. Ain't great, but it's probably better than what you're getting at the hotel.

td577
08-24-2012, 06:47 PM
I had i29 for a year and was frustrated with service cutting out a lot. Maybe it was where I was.

Tatanka
08-24-2012, 07:13 PM
I had i29 for a year and was frustrated with service cutting out a lot. Maybe it was where I was.I've had it before as well. Not an optimal solution by any means but will work in a pinch.

56BISON73
08-24-2012, 07:22 PM
I am now using my smart phone as a router. Seems to be faster. Only have to pay 20.00 more for an additional 4GB a month.
Thanks for all the help. If this doesnt work out I will try one of the other options.

Tatanka
08-24-2012, 08:27 PM
I am now using my smart phone as a router. Seems to be faster. Only have to pay 20.00 more for an additional 4GB a month.
Thanks for all the help. If this doesnt work out I will try one of the other options.Well, yes, there is that option. :D

IzzyFlexion
08-24-2012, 10:39 PM
Possible alternative (with a nominal cost) is to get yourself a WiMax modem from I-29.net (their office is over off of 45th by JT Cigarros). I don't think they require a contract so you should be able to go month-to-month for as long as you're in town. Should be around $30-35 or so per month for 768kbps Internet service. Ain't great, but it's probably better than what you're getting at the hotel.

I call bullshit on that...................oh, you guys are talking about............sorry, forget I typed anything.

Twentysix
08-25-2012, 04:56 PM

Or he could just try tethering to a 4G phone which he probably already pays a monthly fee for, not to mention it should be roughly 13x faster than I29. ;)

56BISON73
08-25-2012, 09:55 PM
Or he could just try tethering to a 4G phone which he probably already pays a monthly fee for, not to mention it should be roughly 13x faster than I29. ;)

Would it work better wireless or as a plug in if thats possible?

td577
08-25-2012, 10:38 PM
With all else being equal, wired is faster than wireless.

56BISON73
08-26-2012, 12:49 AM
With all else being equal, wired is faster than wireless.

So can I buy a cable that will plug in to my smart phone and my lap top?

td577
08-26-2012, 01:18 AM
Mini USB to USB should work and look at some apps like easy tether.

56BISON73
08-26-2012, 01:38 AM
Mini USB to USB should work and look at some apps like easy tether.

Right now I am using the mobile hot spot function. If hard wiring it will make it faster thats what I will do.

td577
08-26-2012, 02:42 AM
If you are using the mobile hotspot a few inches away wirelessly the difference is probably negligible.

Btw, my degree was in economics so I wouldn't trust anything I say. The economics career field is akin to meteorology, I tend to throw a lot of shit against the wall and maybe enough sticks where I look like I know what I am talking about.

Twentysix
08-26-2012, 05:16 AM
Would it work better wireless or as a plug in if thats possible?

Pluging it in would be better, not because it will make the internet (significantly) faster, but because the phone will draw electricity from the computer, keeping the phone from dieing as quickly as it would without being plugged in.

If you are able to plug the phone into the wall while using it as a hotspot that would probably be the best scenario. Some phones won't broadcast if they are plugged into a wall, I guess it really depends on your model. I suggest experimenting.

56BISON73
08-26-2012, 05:32 AM
Thanks for everyones help. Right now I have it plugged in to the wall and its working pretty good. But what the hell I will try the mini usb and reg usb cord just because I can.

CAS4127
08-27-2012, 07:09 PM
So, when I try to copy URL address of pics on facebook, the address no longer comes up. It asks, amond other things, if i want to "Copy image URL", and the only option is to click on that, but I never see the URL. Then, when I come over here to "insert image" and paste the URL address, all I get is this:http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/206035_4493799193600_16842168_n.jpg

Whoops, now it worked for some reason-->nevermind . . .

56BISON73
07-19-2013, 11:14 PM
Need help---Have a lap top that I would like to hook up to my big screen tv so I can watch stuff off of Hulu or some other site. I dont have a HDMI cable but I do have a VGA(what ever that means). So I hook up the cable to the TV and my lap top. It doesnt work. Ive gone to the TV setting for the source of signal and none of the options work either including the PC selection. Any ideas?

BisonTeacher
07-20-2013, 12:06 AM
Need help---Have a lap top that I would like to hook up to my big screen tv so I can watch stuff off of Hulu or some other site. I dont have a HDMI cable but I do have a VGA(what ever that means). So I hook up the cable to the TV and my lap top. It doesnt work. Ive gone to the TV setting for the source of signal and none of the options work either including the PC selection. Any ideas?

What are all the options your remote has for inputs? Mine is rgb.

Also...is there a settingnon the laptop you have to turn on to use an external monitor? If do you may need to restart after you turn that setting on.

56BISON73
07-20-2013, 12:16 AM
What are all the options your remote has for inputs? Mine is rgb.

Also...is there a settingnon the laptop you have to turn on to use an external monitor? If do you may need to restart after you turn that setting on.

Where do I find that?

BisonTeacher
07-20-2013, 12:44 AM
Where do I find that?

Hmm...not sure. Your using windows? Depends on which version Possibly in control panel. Im using windows 7. I went in control panel then under display. There is a button to click to detect. That might work for you. Feel free to pm me.

56BISON73
07-20-2013, 01:33 AM
Hmm...not sure. Your using windows? Depends on which version Possibly in control panel. Im using windows 7. I went in control panel then under display. There is a button to click to detect. That might work for you. Feel free to pm me.

Ok Ive think Ive got it figured out. I have images from my computer are now showing up on my big screen. Now I have to figure out the freetv download stuff. Anyone have experience with freetv, Hulu etc?

BisonTeacher
07-20-2013, 01:35 AM
Ok Ive think Ive got it figured out. I have images from my computer are now showing up on my big screen. Now I have to figure out the freetv download stuff. Anyone have experience with freetv, Hulu etc?

Glad you got it working. As far as that software...I have not used it so I would be of no help. Good luck.

Hammersmith
07-20-2013, 01:56 AM
Also an easier way to do the external monitor switch. Most laptops have a hotkey set up to handle the cycle. On mine you hold down the function key next to the ctrl key and press F10. On Dells and HPs I think it's Function plus F4. Look for two boxes, one inside the other, on one of the F keys at the top of the keyboard; that should be the one you use. The cycle is normally 1. laptop screen only, 2. laptop screen + external display, 3. external display only. Just hold the function key down and keep pressing the appropriate F key until you get the combo you want. It can take a moment for the change to take effect, so wait a couple seconds between each keypress.

Don't have any experience with the other stuff, so I can't help much. Most video players have a full screen mode. Usually it's triggered by clicking a box or rectangle in the bottom right corner of the player. You are also probably going to need to connect your audio if you haven't already. You will likely need a male 1/8" phono jack(aka headphone jack) to L/R male RCA jacks. You can get them anywhere from Radio Shack to Best Buy to Wal-Mart to probably your local grocery or convenience store.

HerdBot
07-20-2013, 02:09 AM
The easiest way to do it is ALT + F4

Bison Dan
07-20-2013, 12:20 PM
If your going to continue to do that just get a HDMI cable and be done with it. Sound & video on one cable.

www.monoprice.com

BisonTeacher
07-20-2013, 02:50 PM
If your going to continue to do that just get a HDMI cable and be done with it. Sound & video on one cable.

www.monoprice.com

And dont buy it at a best buy or walmart un less your in a hurry. Way expensive compared to online.

Hammersmith
07-20-2013, 04:49 PM
The easiest way to do it is ALT + F4

Missing purple?

(Alt+F4 is the shortcut to close a program)

www.monoprice.com

Agreed that HDMI is the easiest way to go, but he might not have a port on his laptop. My new laptop has one, but my old one only has a VGA port unless you use the docking station. His might be similar.

56BISON73
07-20-2013, 06:50 PM

www.monoprice.com

That looks good. Considering all the selections I dont have a freaking clue which one to buy. Suggestions?

Tatanka
07-20-2013, 07:13 PM
Missing purple?

Agreed that HDMI is the easiest way to go, but he might not have a port on his laptop. My new laptop has one, but my old one only has a VGA port unless you use the docking station. His might be similar.

shhhhhhhh with your reality and facts.

Sent from somewhere using my Win8 phone or something.

HerdBot
07-20-2013, 08:50 PM
Missing purple?

No missing purple. It would have been mildly amusing picturing his screen closing.

56BISON73
07-20-2013, 09:52 PM

www.monoprice.com

Thanks. Ordered two. Plus shipping would have cost the same as one from wally world.

344Johnson
07-22-2013, 06:43 AM
Having an issue with my Xbox and my tv. If I use the Red/yellow/white cables, I get sound and picture. Picture doesn't quite fit tv. Cuts about an inch off the bottom. With HDMI cable, I get the correct picture but no sound. Its an older bigscreen, 1080I I believe.

westnodak93bison
07-23-2013, 04:14 AM
Having an issue with my Xbox and my tv. If I use the Red/yellow/white cables, I get sound and picture. Picture doesn't quite fit tv. Cuts about an inch off the bottom. With HDMI cable, I get the correct picture but no sound. Its an older bigscreen, 1080I I believe.

I'd suggest throwing the Xbox away to prevent mind rot.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Hammersmith
07-23-2013, 06:18 AM
I don't have an Xbox so I'm going a bit blind with this advice, but there should be a setting somewhere to turn on digital sound. Check the bottom of this page: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/audio-video-setup-and-use/configure-audio-settings It's for the 360, but the regular Xbox should be about the same(assuming you don't actually have a 360). Also this page for selecting the best video settings: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906663

Tatanka
07-23-2013, 11:36 AM
As usual Hammersmith is spot on.

56BISON73
07-27-2013, 05:55 AM
ALL FREAKING ALLLLLRIGHTTTTTT. My brand spanking NEW HDMI cables arrived yesterday. BUT I just read that Google a thing called a dongle that can plug in to the back of your TV an its WIRELESSSSSSSSSSS. )(*^%&$@$%&^(*)(*_)

How come all of you computer geeks didnt tell about this????? Yes CAS Iam looking at YOU!!!!! &^%^&*()$#!@

344Johnson
07-27-2013, 06:14 AM
ALL FREAKING ALLLLLRIGHTTTTTT. My brand spanking NEW HDMI cables arrived yesterday. BUT I just read that Google a thing called a dongle that can plug in to the back of your TV an its WIRELESSSSSSSSSSS. )(*^%&$@$%&^(*)(*_)

How come all of you computer geeks didnt tell about this????? Yes CAS Iam looking at YOU!!!!! &^%^&*()$#!@

We live in North Dakota. This Google product you speak of.....won't even be a thing here for another 5 years.

Tatanka
07-27-2013, 01:23 PM

just another guy on a message board late at night wanting to talk about his dongle. :smh:

BisonTeacher
07-27-2013, 02:41 PM

Whats wrong with your dongle? TMI

seriously. I have tried the wireless and streaming. Not the best of choices. Can you say buffering??? If you can go hard wired its better.

So even though dongle buffering sounds like a good thing...it really isnt. :biggrin:

56BISON73
07-27-2013, 06:02 PM
just another guy on a message board late at night wanting to talk about his dongle. :smh:

My expertise is the sausage. I don't dongle.

td577
07-30-2013, 01:13 PM
My expertise is the sausage. I don't dongle.

Do you write tag lines for porn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elephants Dream?
08-29-2013, 10:32 PM
OK, I need computer Help.
I go into the new gobison to purchase my all-access package.
I click on "multimedia" near the top of the page, then to the left to "live video" in the drop-down list. When I click that I get a nearly full page of Google Chrome ad.
I can't find a place to close it, no X or similar. It's been like that on my computer for at least two weeks, so I have no all-access package yet. Help please.

BisonTeacher
08-29-2013, 10:56 PM
I click on "multimedia" near the top of the page, then to the left to "live video" in the drop-down list. When I click that I get a nearly full page of Google Chrome ad.
I can't find a place to close it, no X or similar. It's been like that on my computer for at least two weeks, so I have no all-access package yet. Help please.

When I follow your steps...I click on live/video audio...I dont get the google chrome ad. I am using firefox.

TbonZach
08-29-2013, 11:20 PM

Have you tried clicking somewhere on the add itself? I've encountered some adds that only go away by clicking on them.

When I follow your steps...I click on live/video audio...I dont get the google chrome ad. I am using firefox.

I tried it on the big three (FF, Chrome, IE) and I didn't get the add any time.

Hammersmith
08-29-2013, 11:57 PM
I can't duplicate it either.

Try this link: http://www.gobison.com/showcase

That's the page the live video link is supposed to send you to.

Elephants Dream?
08-30-2013, 01:49 AM
Update. I tried clicking on the ad -- nothing.
I tried following your shortcut above -- same 'Google chrome frame' ad comes up.
I can see a Bison page under the ad.
I'm using Windows and Internet Explorer, and have never had Chrome.

Hammersmith
08-30-2013, 02:50 AM
Update. I tried clicking on the ad -- nothing.
I tried following your shortcut above -- same 'Google chrome frame' ad comes up.
I can see a Bison page under the ad.
I'm using Windows and Internet Explorer, and have never had Chrome.
Try hitting F11 to go full screen and see if you can find a place to close the ad in the newly uncovered area. You could also try hitting esc, or hitting tab* and then space repeatedly. (tab moves you from button to button, and space pushes the button - it sometimes works if the button you are trying to push does not appear on your screen). If you can, you also might try increasing the resolution of your screen. It might uncover the button you are trying to find.

*I like this option because tab deserves to be hit as often as possible. Am'I right?

1998braves64
08-30-2013, 03:11 AM
*I like this option because tab deserves to be hit as often as possible. Am'I right?
First time reading I read it as hit on and was thinking good for TAB he finally found someone!
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

Elephants Dream?
08-30-2013, 08:25 PM
I had to reduce my page to the 50% level, but I could then close the google ad!
(I had tried 75% two weeks ago with no luck)
btw, I tried F11, nothing. When I held down F11 it locked up the computer so that
I couldn't close any page and had to shut off the PC by holding in the power button.
At least I can now make my way into all-access!
Thanks, the help was much appreciated.

TransAmBison
08-30-2013, 08:38 PM
I had to reduce my page to the 50% level, but I could then close the google ad!
(I had tried 75% two weeks ago with no luck)
btw, I tried F11, nothing. When I held down F11 it locked up the computer so that
I couldn't close any page and had to shut off the PC by holding in the power button.
At least I can now make my way into all-access!
Thanks, the help was much appreciated.So the short version is you couldn't get it up, and then settled for half mast. Worked for No Skill.*

*How do you think he got The Champ?**
**Amiright?

Elephants Dream?
08-30-2013, 09:52 PM
No Skill, I feel your pain.

56BISON73
04-13-2014, 06:11 AM
Need recommendation on a good scanner, copier, printer.

Called Dell today about issue I had and it was 89.00 for them to tall what was the matter. Pizz on that I can by a new one for almost that.

BisonTeacher
04-13-2014, 11:38 AM
Need recommendation on a good scanner, copier, printer.

Called Dell today about issue I had and it was 89.00 for them to tall what was the matter. Pizz on that I can by a new one for almost that.

I guess it depends on if you need color or not. And also look into how much replacement toner/ink will cost you in the future.

I do not have a color printer, its a samsung laser printer/scanner/copier. I've had it almost 10 years.

Bison bison
04-13-2014, 01:43 PM
Got an epson with wifi. Everyones fevice is hooked up to it.

StL Bison Fan
04-13-2014, 03:16 PM
I have wifi HPs at home and at the office. I take the cart rages in to the bookstore and they refill them. Costco refills too. At least they had a booth haven't seen it for awhile. Might have moved it.

56BISON73
04-25-2014, 09:40 PM
Would like a color printer. Needs to scan also. What is better--ink jet or laser? Which is more cost effective when it come to the ink? Is one brand better than others. I have a Dell V715w now and have never liked it and it is now not working. My budget is around 200.00. Do I need to spend that much?

Hammersmith
04-25-2014, 09:55 PM
Would like a color printer. Needs to scan also. What is better--ink jet or laser? Which is more cost effective when it come to the ink? Is one brand better than others. I have a Dell V715w now and have never liked it and it is now not working. My budget is around 200.00. Do I need to spend that much?

You can easily spend less than half of that and get a good all-in-one. Personally, I can't imagine going laser for a home printer. For a business that's printing multiple copies per day? Sure. But not if you're going to print a couple pages or less per week like most people do at home.

I've been going with Epson for a while. Heard questionable things about HP's consumer grade stuff(their business stuff is good/great). I've got an Epson XP-400 that I think I picked up for about $80 about 6 months back. Nice small unit that I've got tucked in a corner(wireless). Haven't had any problems with it, but have only printed out a half dozen things. The current version is the XP-410, which has the same list price($99). Unless you plan to print a lot of stuff(esp. photos), I wouldn't spend more than $100.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/printers/Expression-home-photo-printers/index.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes

StL Bison Fan
04-25-2014, 10:14 PM
Everyone likes something different. Had an Epson but got rid of it, it was always 'grooming' itself.
Bought a wireless HP. Scans and prints photo quality prints from anywhere in the house or outside with various computers, my I pad, and I phone. Paid around 100.00. I bought it at Best Buy

Bisonguy
04-25-2014, 11:25 PM

Do you actually NEED color printing capability?

Reason being- I know a lot of people in the last couple of years that have gone from color inkjet printers to Black/White laser printers for home use and would never go back to inkjet. Initial cost could be a little more, but long-term cost is less by not having ink drying up from just sitting there and not having all of the other color cartridges to worry about.

You can easily spend less than half of that and get a good all-in-one. Personally, I can't imagine going laser for a home printer. For a business that's printing multiple copies per day? Sure. But not if you're going to print a couple pages or less per week like most people do at home.

I've been going with Epson for a while. Heard questionable things about HP's consumer grade stuff(their business stuff is good/great). I've got an Epson XP-400 that I think I picked up for about $80 about 6 months back. Nice small unit that I've got tucked in a corner(wireless). Haven't had any problems with it, but have only printed out a half dozen things. The current version is the XP-410, which has the same list price($99). Unless you plan to print a lot of stuff(esp. photos), I wouldn't spend more than $100.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/printers/Expression-home-photo-printers/index.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes

I can't stress this fact enough: if you want to print photos from an inkjet printer, do not expect to use them for much of anything beyond putting them on your fridge for a couple of months or maybe years. The water-based inks and crappy paper are easily damaged and are not made for anything close to archival quality. Besides, it's typically less expensive to use a professional photo lab and you'll get a much better photo than with an inkjet printer.

aces1180
04-25-2014, 11:44 PM
I have a Canon MX870 to sell...Wanted one that would let me print from my iPhone and iPad...Works great and it's yours for $40.

1998braves64
04-26-2014, 12:52 AM
Have a canon mg5220 works good, it's a ink jet color and scanner wife prints 10 sheets a week or so and print pictures for temp display. Ink is expensive, never tried using cheap refills or doing your own sounds like a pia though and can mess it up. Think we got this one for about $120.

Sent from my HTC8x Windows Phone.

Bisonguy
04-26-2014, 02:19 AM
Have a canon mg5220 works good, it's a ink jet color and scanner wife prints 10 sheets a week or so and print pictures for temp display. Ink is expensive, never tried using cheap refills or doing your own sounds like a pia though and can mess it up. Think we got this one for about $120.

Sent from my HTC8x Windows Phone.

I have the same printer. I like it much more than the HP it replaced many moons ago. I don't really print much of anything in color anymore, so I am giving up on replacing any of the color ink cartridges. I will probably move on to a black/white laser with copier once I get sick of buying black ink cartridges.

BisonTeacher
04-26-2014, 02:23 AM
Do you actually NEED color printing capability?

Reason being- I know a lot of people in the last couple of years that have gone from color inkjet printers to Black/White laser printers for home use and would never go back to inkjet. Initial cost could be a little more, but long-term cost is less by not having ink drying up from just sitting there and not having all of the other color cartridges to worry about.

I can't stress this fact enough: if you want to print photos from an inkjet printer, do not expect to use them for much of anything beyond putting them on your fridge for a couple of months or maybe years. The water-based inks and crappy paper are easily damaged and are not made for anything close to archival quality. Besides, it's typically less expensive to use a professional photo lab and you'll get a much better photo than with an inkjet printer.

This. I print photos at walmart. So easy and cheap. No hassle.

gotts
04-26-2014, 04:46 AM
This. I print photos at walmart. So easy and cheap. No hassle.

This, except at Target. My wife will edit photos at home on the computer, load the edits to a flash drive, then it's off to print.

BisonTeacher
04-26-2014, 05:21 AM
This, except at Target. My wife will edit photos at home on the computer, load the edits to a flash drive, then it's off to print.

MOst of them allow you to upload instead of using flash drive.

Bisonguy
04-26-2014, 03:11 PM
I use mpix.com, but also usually print 8x10 or larger and they have Fuji pearl paper.

56BISON73
04-26-2014, 04:03 PM
Went with the HP Officejet 6700 Premium Inkjet Multifunction Printer/Copier/Scanner/Fax Machine $128.00 has wifi so I can print from my laptop and got free shipping.
Thanks for everyones help.

StL Bison Fan
04-27-2014, 02:20 AM
Went with the HP Officejet 6700 Premium Inkjet Multifunction Printer/Copier/Scanner/Fax Machine $128.00 has wifi so I can print from my laptop and got free shipping.
Thanks for everyones help.

This is the one I have at work and I like mine

56BISON73
04-27-2014, 02:22 AM
This is the one I have at work and I like mine

Thanks. I had a HP Desk Jet for years and loved it. So I figured I would give HP another shot.

NFH Schlüssel
04-27-2014, 11:36 AM
Question from my 11 yr-old son... he has an Android tablet that was intended for reading books he can check out from the local library while he's in Germ-land. Of course, I fear there is more "FIFA 13" & "Minecraft" being played than reading. But that is another subject. Apparently, Goolgle is in control of his tablet, according to him. He said that he normally must log in to his Google account to access the app functions of the tablet. Here is the problem: for some reason, he can't get into Google & he's forgotten the tablet's password since he always accessed it via Google. Needless to say, I'm not understanding the whole situation; nor do I think he's giving me the whole story accurately.

Is there a way to reset the tablet's password (without having the original password) which would allow him access to the other apps?

Thanks for any suggestions, in advance.

99Bison
04-27-2014, 12:58 PM
Log into google account on a desktop, laptop, etc. if need be, do the forgot password process. Then once able to log into tablet.

Bison 4 Life
04-28-2014, 12:46 PM
Question from my 11 yr-old son... he has an Android tablet that was intended for reading books he can check out from the local library while he's in Germ-land. Of course, I fear there is more "FIFA 13" & "Minecraft" being played than reading. But that is another subject. Apparently, Goolgle is in control of his tablet, according to him. He said that he normally must log in to his Google account to access the app functions of the tablet. Here is the problem: for some reason, he can't get into Google & he's forgotten the tablet's password since he always accessed it via Google. Needless to say, I'm not understanding the whole situation; nor do I think he's giving me the whole story accurately.

Is there a way to reset the tablet's password (without having the original password) which would allow him access to the other apps?

Thanks for any suggestions, in advance.

Log into google account on a desktop, laptop, etc. if need be, do the forgot password process. Then once able to log into tablet.

Count yourself lucky. My company ditched Microsoft for Google and my whole work experience is controlled by Google.

Bison"FANatic"
04-28-2014, 03:23 PM
Q "Minecraft" being played than reading.

I just don't get the fascination with minecraft. The graphics are like 1985 and it just doesn't hold my attention but my 7 year old daughter loves it. She was quite sad last week though as we had told her not to put a password on her ipad and wouldn't you know it she did and could not get it what she thought it was to work. Tried going in through itunes and no dice so we had to reset the whole device back to original and it wiped the memory. The only thing she cared about was that she lost her "worlds" she had created.

She now understands what how things can go wrong when she does something we tell her not to. I am sure she has probably already forgot that part though:facepalm:

Trumpster
04-28-2014, 03:25 PM
I just don't get the fascination with minecraft.

Did you ever play with LEGOs as a kid?

Bison"FANatic"
04-28-2014, 03:27 PM
Did you ever play with LEGOs as a kid?

I see what you mean but actually the answer was no I rarely, rarely played with legos.

Tatanka
04-28-2014, 08:50 PM
I see what you mean but actually the answer was no I rarely, rarely played with legos.

http://i.imgur.com/mtlnSd4.gif

BadlandsBison
04-28-2014, 09:17 PM
http://i.imgur.com/mtlnSd4.gif

:biggrin::rofl:

NFH Schlüssel
05-01-2014, 12:45 PM
Count yourself lucky. My company ditched Microsoft for Google and my whole work experience is controlled by Google.

That's the part I don't understand... I thought the boy didn't know what he was talking about! Who would want one "system" controlling everything?

NFH Schlüssel
05-01-2014, 12:49 PM
so we had to reset the whole device back to original and it wiped the memory.

So, how do I go about wiping his memory & starting over?

IzzyFlexion
05-01-2014, 04:52 PM
So, how do I go about wiping his memory & starting over?

Might I suggest golfing 18 holes with Slick driving a cart carrying a cooler of 36 Buds followed by 14 Beam-Cokes at the Northern.

I can't help you with the "starting over" part.

56BISON73
06-09-2014, 12:43 AM
Emily wants a tablet. Verizon has one for free with a two year commitment and 10.00 a month access fee. I will also add that Emily would like a tablet with a real key board. Any ideas on other products or is Verizon the best deal? Shes not a gamer and doesnt know why she wants one---- she just wants one. She will figure out why later. No I am not kidding.

BisonTeacher
06-09-2014, 01:06 AM
Emily wants a tablet. Verizon has one for free with a two year commitment and 10.00 a month access fee. I will also add that Emily would like a tablet with a real key board. Any ideas on other products or is Verizon the best deal? Shes not a gamer and doesnt know why she wants one---- she just wants one. She will figure out why later. No I am not kidding.

Most tablets have wifi...so unless you need to use it on the road /data plan..verizon may not be the best option.

We have a samsung galaxy tab for my little boy. Works great.

56BISON73
06-09-2014, 01:21 AM
Most tablets have wifi...so unless you need to use it on the road /data plan..verizon may not be the best option.

We have a samsung galaxy tab for my little boy. Works great.

We have a router in the house so she could use it in the great room. Plus she is traveling more now so she could use it in the hotels etc.

BisonTeacher
06-09-2014, 01:29 AM
We have a router in the house so she could use it in the great room. Plus she is traveling more now so she could use it in the hotels etc.

Like i said...you may not need the data plan for it then.

Tatanka
06-09-2014, 01:33 AM
Like i said...you may not need the data plan for it then.
I would skip the 4G compatibility and get one that just has Wi-Fi. your smartphone can provide network access in the rare circumstance you're using it somewhere where you're not near a Wi-Fi signal.

56BISON73
06-09-2014, 01:35 AM
I would skip the 4G compatibility and get one that just has Wi-Fi. your smartphone can provide network access in the rare circumstance you're using it somewhere where you're not near a Wi-Fi signal.

So any suggestions? On tablets that is.:biggrin:

Tatanka
06-09-2014, 02:04 AM
So any suggestions? On tablets that is.:biggrin:

Desired Budget?

56BISON73
06-09-2014, 02:05 AM
Desired Budget?

100-150.00 if thats possible

Tatanka
06-09-2014, 02:22 AM

With a keyboard? wow. ok. may need to go the subsidized route with a wireless provider to get anywhere near that out of pocket cost...

56BISON73
06-09-2014, 02:25 AM
With a keyboard? wow. ok. may need to go the subsidized route with a wireless provider to get anywhere near that out of pocket cost...

What is the usual price range??

BisonTeacher
06-09-2014, 02:39 AM
What is the usual price range??

Are you saying a seperate keyboard that attaches? If so...why not just get a laptop or netbook

56BISON73
06-09-2014, 02:41 AM
Ok lets not go with a key board.

Hammersmith
06-09-2014, 02:43 AM
Ok lets not go with a key board.

Keyboard isn't that much of a problem. You can easily get third party keyboards that work wirelessly with most any tablet. It's an extra cost, but it doesn't restrict your tablet choices. If a person routinely uses a keyboard with a tablet, I usually see them use a carrying case that holds the tablet on one side and the keyboard on the other.

Something like this one(picked at random): http://www.rakuten.com/prod/leather-stand-case-w-micro-usb-keyboard-stylus-for-for-asus-memopad/252365568.html?listingId=295118369&scid=pla_google_SFPlanet&adid=18179&gclid=CND8_qDj674CFeYRMwodCToAhQ

Tatanka
06-09-2014, 02:46 AM
Keyboard isn't that much of a problem. You can easily get third party keyboards that work wirelessly with most any tablet. It's an extra cost, but it doesn't restrict your tablet choices. If a person routinely uses a keyboard with a tablet, I usually see them use a carrying case that holds the tablet on one side and the keyboard on the other. Will get a pic of one quickly.

right on but that plus a tablet > $ one fitty

Hammersmith
06-09-2014, 02:55 AM
right on but that plus a tablet > $ one fitty

Definitely. Forgot to add the line about added cost. Do you think a used or refurb might be appropriate? $150 doesn't leave many options out there(not that I'm current on tablets).

56BISON73
06-09-2014, 02:58 AM
Definitely. Forgot to add the line about added cost. Do you think a used or refurb might be appropriate? $150 doesn't leave many options out there(not that I'm current on tablets).

I could do 200.00. Just looking for something other than the free tablet from verizon with access fees because over 2 years its going to cost 240.00 minimum.

This what Verizon is offering for free----

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneOverviewByDevice&linkId=100

StL Bison Fan
06-09-2014, 03:44 AM
I have an I phone that I can use for internet. When I bought my I pad I had the opportunity to add it to my verizon acct.
I didn't add it and just went with wireless. I knew if I could use it on the web when ever in wanted, I'd be going over my data allotment.

BYZEN
06-09-2014, 01:29 PM

Of the ones I have tried, I LOVE MY SURFACE as the best. It has almost replaced my laptop. I think you could get into a refurb for around 200 to 280. The only negative I have with mine is the battery life but then mine is the very first generation.

Bison bison
06-09-2014, 01:35 PM
I could do 200.00. Just looking for something other than the free tablet from verizon with access fees because over 2 years its going to cost 240.00 minimum.

Well, your budget makes it clear that you'll be in the Android market.

Take the Mrs. to Best Buy. I'd look at a Kindle HD. Also, I'd wait on the keyboard. Get used to the tablet without, then ask if you really want/need a clunky keyboard.

TransAmBison
06-09-2014, 01:35 PM
So I have entered my computer into hospice. It takes about an hour to get it up and running. I went to back everything up yesterday and the external HD wouldn’t turn on (had an old one that needed to be plugged into an outlet)…so went and got a new external hard drive and backed up everything. Now to look for a new computer. Best Buy had a HP and Dell for $319. Looking for the cheapest route for something that will last for a while. I checked online and didn’t see any better deals. I’m wondering if some better deals will come around in August for back to school?

Thoughts, recommendations…remember…not looking for anything expensive.

gotts
06-09-2014, 01:45 PM
So I have entered my computer into hospice. It takes about an hour to get it up and running. I went to back everything up yesterday and the external HD wouldn’t turn on (had an old one that needed to be plugged into an outlet)…so went and got a new external hard drive and backed up everything. Now to look for a new computer. Best Buy had a HP and Dell for $319. Looking for the cheapest route for something that will last for a while. I checked online and didn’t see any better deals. I’m wondering if some better deals will come around in August for back to school?

Desktop? I'd build one...

TransAmBison
06-09-2014, 01:55 PM
Desktop? I'd build one...I know this will come as a surprise...but I don't have the first clue on how to do that...maybe I could have CAS build one for me...

gotts
06-09-2014, 01:55 PM
I know this will come as a surprise...but I don't have the first clue on how to do that...maybe I could have CAS build one for me...

It's pretty easy. You figured out how to brew beer, didn't you?

TransAmBison
06-09-2014, 02:00 PM
It's pretty easy. You figured out how to brew beer, didn't you?So I throw all the components in a kettle and boil them for an hour?

BisonTeacher
06-09-2014, 02:08 PM
Desktop? I'd build one...

I was thinking the same thing...but for the price hes looking at and what he needs it for...may be just as easy to buy one. Tab...building is easy...and fun. But if you buy...id go dell. Ive got two in the house that function well and they are 8-10 yrs old.

StL Bison Fan
06-09-2014, 02:31 PM
Of the ones I have tried, I LOVE MY SURFACE as the best. It has almost replaced my laptop. I think you could get into a refurb for around 200 to 280. The only negative I have with mine is the battery life but then mine is the very first generation.

I looked at a surface when I bought my I pad, but just wasn't sure about it. Now I need a new laptop. The surface pro is supposed to replace lap tops- what say you??

56BISON73
06-09-2014, 02:34 PM
I was thinking the same thing...but for the price hes looking at and what he needs it for...may be just as easy to buy one. Tab...building is easy...and fun. But if you buy...id go dell. Ive got two in the house that function well and they are 8-10 yrs old.

I have a Dell desk top and I like it. Their customer service sucks. They kept trying to charge me even though the computer wasnt a year old. Told them to kiss my ass and give me a supervisor.

LikeMothers
06-09-2014, 02:43 PM

I have been happy with a Nexus 7. You're not so tied into a particular service and software as you are with some others like Amazon. I've found wi-fi to be good enough and use my phone when it's not available.

BisonTeacher
06-09-2014, 02:44 PM
I have a Dell desk top and I like it. Their customer service sucks. They kept trying to charge me even though the computer wasnt a year old. Told them to kiss my ass and give me a supervisor.

This is true. My mom has the same issue with them. I was just referring to the machine. I dont call customer service. I void warranties.

LikeMothers
06-09-2014, 02:46 PM

Hint: That "Answer Guy Rules" message that pops up might have something to do with it.

Sounds like your OS is messed up. Why not just wipe it and load everything new?

TransAmBison
06-09-2014, 02:52 PM
Hint: That "Answer Guy Rules" message that pops up might have something to do with it.

Sounds like your OS is messed up. Why not just wipe it and load everything new?Hmmm...that is an option. I can give it a try.

gotts
06-09-2014, 02:57 PM
Hmmm...that is an option. I can give it a try.

What is your current computer? Depending on what it is, you could upgrade certain components and that could be cost-effective.

TransAmBison
06-09-2014, 03:00 PM
What is your current computer? Depending on what it is, you could upgrade certain components and that could be cost-effective.It is a HP Slimline version...not sure on the model. It is about 5 yrs old. It has been failing diagnostic checks on the hard drive and video card. With as small as it is, I figured it would be pretty hard to get at anything...

56BISON73
06-09-2014, 03:03 PM
How does this sound--

RCA
10.1" touchscreen
1GHz ARM Cortex-A9 Quad-Core processor
16GB of storage memory
Google Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean) OS
Webcams and WiFi
keyboard

56BISON73
06-09-2014, 03:05 PM
or

9" touchscreen
1.5GHz Amlogic 8726 Dual-Core Cortex A9 processor
8GB of storage memory
Google Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) OS
Webcams, WiFi
keyboard

Bison bison
06-09-2014, 03:06 PM
i would be hesitant to go lowest price.

there are some real turds out there.

BisonTeacher
06-09-2014, 03:07 PM
It is a HP Slimline version...not sure on the model. It is about 5 yrs old. It has been failing diagnostic checks on the hard drive and video card. With as small as it is, I figured it would be pretty hard to get at anything...

If you are thinkng about trashing it anyway...would it hurt to open it up and look. Those slim computers usually have similar parts just reduced profile (smaller)

Bison bison
06-09-2014, 11:20 PM
Wow. I had no idea bisonville was down all day.

56BISON73
06-10-2014, 01:30 AM
How does this sound--

RCA
10.1" touchscreen
1GHz ARM Cortex-A9 Quad-Core processor
16GB of storage memory
Google Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean) OS
Webcams and WiFi
keyboard

This is the one we went with. Got it at Walmart. They actually had a guy working there that sounded like he knew his stuff???? He said they just got then in and he played around with it all day. Only negative was the resolution he said. Hell what do we know it looked fine to us. So we figured it has a 1 year warranty. If it takes a crap it goes back. plus for 149.00 if it lasts a year or two we got our moneys worth and by that time she will have figured out what she really wants and what she will use it for.

oldmantutters
06-10-2014, 02:04 AM

I would recommend Acer all day, everyday. I have an Acer that is 6 years old and just got another about 6 months ago. The only reason I got another one was pretty much greed. Got into a situation where I need to be more portable with my laptop and decided to buy a new laptop in lieu of buying the third battery for the old Acer.

One thing that I've noticed that helps with computers is right when you get it, take a little bit of time to get rid of all the extra "shit" that comes pre-installed, or find a friend with computer knowledge to do it. Also when you download and install things pay attention to what you are clicking. A lot of the time you can choose to do a "custom install" which will allow you to uncheck some things and keep a whole bunch of shit that will slow down your computer. And keep your computer from looking like this. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/10/ypu7unyd.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BYZEN
06-10-2014, 07:54 PM
I looked at a surface when I bought my I pad, but just wasn't sure about it. Now I need a new laptop. The surface pro is supposed to replace lap tops- what say you??

The only thing my laptop has over my surface is a CD/DVD drive and an SD card slot. Like I said, my battery life is short but it was the first ones out. I don't even take my laptop with me traveling any more. the Surface weighs next to nothing. Granted the touchpad/keyboard/cover takes some getting used to but I'm looking to get a new Pro3 this fall.

tony
06-10-2014, 08:11 PM
The only thing my laptop has over my surface is a CD/DVD drive and an SD card slot. Like I said, my battery life is short but it was the first ones out. I don't even take my laptop with me traveling any more. the Surface weighs next to nothing. Granted the touchpad/keyboard/cover takes some getting used to but I'm looking to get a new Pro3 this fall.

I really like the Surface Pro 2 for leisure, but there is no substitute for a 17" screen for work. Of course, most people would never buy a laptop that big.

BTW, I am going to try to use the Surface for work but will be hooking it up to a docking station / keyboard/mouse/monitor. I love that it is completely silent but still has a lot of grunt.

Bison bison
06-10-2014, 08:28 PM
I really like the Surface Pro 2 for leisure, but there is no substitute for a 17" screen for work. Of course, most people would never buy a laptop that big.

I got a 17" laptop when I was consulting - hate it.

I'd rather have an ultrabook or two big monitors.

TAILG8R
06-11-2014, 01:21 AM
My 15" Macbook is as big as I would go and still feel mobile. When I'm stationary I connect to two 20" displays. 17" inch laptops sort of defeat the purpose of portability.

td577
06-11-2014, 02:11 AM
I still use a desktop and my mobility is the capacity of my Galaxy S4. My desktop has a 39" HDTV flanked by 2 23" monitors. I would go crazy trying to get work done with any less of a setup.

Bison 4 Life
06-11-2014, 02:38 AM
I prefer a desktop. My work laptop is docked so my desk has 2 keyboards and 3 monitors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

56BISON73
06-22-2014, 09:47 PM
Have a problem with my Samsung Notebook-laptop. With the power cord plugged in---when I leave the computer for the night I just close the top as I have been doing for years. Now when I do that the computer gets very hot. And the computer wont come on when I open the top up until I unplug it and it cools down.

1998braves64
06-22-2014, 10:53 PM
Could be your CPU fan is broken or not operating properly could be CPU is covered in dust not allowing it to cool properly also. But I am not a computer tech.
Sent from Win8 phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

BisonTeacher
06-22-2014, 11:34 PM
Could be your CPU fan is broken or not operating properly could be CPU is covered in dust not allowing it to cool properly also. But I am not a computer tech.
Sent from Win8 phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

This or something in the bios is telling it not to run. But i doubt pl got into his bios and made changes.

Hammersmith
06-22-2014, 11:47 PM
It might not be properly going into standby/sleep/hibernate when he shuts the lid. If it's hanging up somewhere in the process, the CPU could just keep running some sort of loop.

56BISON73
06-26-2014, 01:18 AM
Now my lap top wont update. I go to updates and a get a window that says services not on. Ive done all of the internet stuff and still cant get it to work. Plus the log shows no windows up dates which I know is incorrect as Ive updated this thing many times over the past 4 years.

BisonTeacher
06-26-2014, 01:25 AM
Now my lap top wont update. I go to updates and a get a window that says services not on. Ive done all of the internet stuff and still cant get it to work. Plus the log shows no windows up dates which I know is incorrect as Ive updated this thing many times over the past 4 years.

I turn off windows automatic updates. They always want to run when you want to do something else. And sometimes those updates make things stop working normally.

If your talking about virus software updates...then you have a problem.

56BISON73
06-26-2014, 01:29 AM
I turn off windows automatic updates. They always want to run when you want to do something else. And sometimes those updates make things stop working normally.

If your talking about virus software updates...then you have a problem.

I have the auto turned off so I can update what I want when they notify me. But I havent had any notices in aloooong time while my other computer I updated yesterday.. Wont even let me manually update. So I think something is amiss

BisonTeacher
06-26-2014, 01:44 AM
I have the auto turned off so I can update what I want when they notify me. But I havent had any notices in aloooong time while my other computer I updated yesterday.. Wont even let me manually update. So I think something is amiss

Even then, I only update something if I absolutely have to.

1998braves64
06-26-2014, 01:49 AM

Do you have windows XP? (seems you just bought it though so that wouldn't be right!)

If you do have XP though here is the reason: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/end-support-help

GradBison
06-26-2014, 05:00 PM
Have a problem with my Samsung Notebook-laptop. With the power cord plugged in---when I leave the computer for the night I just close the top as I have been doing for years. Now when I do that the computer gets very hot. And the computer wont come on when I open the top up until I unplug it and it cools down.

Pat, check your power settings.

From the windows start button search for "power options", then click on "Choose what closing the lid does" from the left hand side, after that set it appropriately. Change to sleep or hibernate etc.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Doc/images/935/c03311253.gif

56BISON73
06-26-2014, 10:59 PM
Pat, check your power settings.

From the windows start button search for "power options", then click on "Choose what closing the lid does" from the left hand side, after that set it appropriately. Change to sleep or hibernate etc.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Doc/images/935/c03311253.gif

Checked that and it says sleep.

Plus Ive been trying to download some microsoft security programs and I cant. So I find the fix for that but wont let me down load that either.
So I think it needs to go to the shop.

BisonTeacher
06-26-2014, 11:12 PM
Checked that and it says sleep.

Plus Ive been trying to download some microsoft security programs and I cant. So I find the fix for that but wont let me down load that either.
So I think it needs to go to the shop.

My suggestion. Copy your data off and re-image before you pay someone to do it for you.

56BISON73
06-26-2014, 11:14 PM
My suggestion. Copy your data off and re-image before you pay someone to do it for you.

What??????

BisonTeacher
06-26-2014, 11:16 PM
What??????

If you have any personal data on the hard drive (photos, files, etc)...copy it to an external drive. Then put in the disk that came with the computer and reformat your drive and reinstall windows. You will start over with basically a new(ish) computer.

This is your old one right? Not your new one?

If its the one you just bought...then I would take it back to the store before you do what I suggested.

56BISON73
06-26-2014, 11:18 PM
If you have any personal data on the hard drive (photos, files, etc)...copy it to an external drive. Then put in the disk that came with the computer and reformat your drive and reinstall windows. You will start over with basically a new(ish) computer.

This is your old one right? Not your new one?

If its the one you just bought...then I would take it back to the store before you do what I suggested.

This is my laptop I bought in 2010.

BisonTeacher
06-26-2014, 11:27 PM
This is my laptop I bought in 2010.

Have you ever re-imaged it??

56BISON73
06-26-2014, 11:31 PM
Have you ever re-imaged it??

No..........

BisonTeacher
06-26-2014, 11:35 PM
No..........

I do it about once a year with my computers. Its good to start fresh. Computers get so jammed up with spyware and missing directories etc...It take s a little time to reinstall everything, and you need to be sure you get all your personal date saved to another drive/computer because EVERYTHING will get erased on on that drive. when its done your computer will run like it was new in 2010.

56BISON73
06-26-2014, 11:49 PM
I do it about once a year with my computers. Its good to start fresh. Computers get so jammed up with spyware and missing directories etc...It take s a little time to reinstall everything, and you need to be sure you get all your personal date saved to another drive/computer because EVERYTHING will get erased on on that drive. when its done your computer will run like it was new in 2010.

Do you know how to save your bookmarks - favorites?

Rockbear99
06-27-2014, 12:08 AM

You dont want to lose your sausage porn.

BisonTeacher
06-27-2014, 12:51 AM

Firefox or ie?

56BISON73
06-27-2014, 01:21 AM
Firefox or ie?

Fire fox. Plus I need to save my email contacts. Have a flash drive.

BisonTeacher
06-27-2014, 01:34 AM
Fire fox. Plus I need to save my email contacts. Have a flash drive.

firefox is easy. Go to bookmarks. Drag down to "show all bookmarks" then click "import and backup" then "backup" and choose where to save the file . It will be a .jsom file. Then once you get everything reinstalled do the same thing but instead of clicking backup...click "restore" choose your file and viola.

email Contacts? Hmmm. depends on what email program are you using?

56BISON73
06-27-2014, 01:36 AM
firefox is easy. Go to bookmarks. Drag down to "show all bookmarks" then click "import and backup" then "backup" and choose where to save the file . It will be a .jsom file. Then once you get everything reinstalled do the same thing but instead of clicking backup...click "restore" choose your file and viola.

Email contacts? Hmmm. Depends on what email program are you using?

windows live mail, I also have alot stored in my email folders. Do I need to back up all that or will that be erased also? How do I save it?

BisonTeacher
06-27-2014, 01:55 AM
windows live mail, I also have alot stored in my email folders. Do I need to back up all that or will that be erased also? How do I save it?

If its stored on your computer yes it will all be erased. So dont do this until you figure out how. Unfortunately i dont know how windows live mail works. Tatanka???

Hammersmith
06-27-2014, 02:00 AM

I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Windows Live Mail keeps your contact list updated on their servers. It should automatically restore when you set up Live Mail on the laptop after the reload. Your emails should also be saved on their servers unless you set your folders to "download and delete"; if that's the case, you need to backup your messages first.

BisonTeacher
06-27-2014, 02:03 AM
I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Windows Live Mail keeps your contact list updated on their servers. It should automatically restore when you set up Live Mail on the laptop after the reload. Your emails should also be saved on their servers unless you set your folders to "download and delete"; if that's the case, you need to backup your messages first.

Thanks hammersmith. Would you recommend he reimage too? Or take it in? Im concerned he wont get all his data saved if hes never done this before.

Hammersmith
06-27-2014, 02:25 AM
Thanks hammersmith. Would you recommend he reimage too? Or take it in? Im concerned he wont get all his data saved if hes never done this before.

I think if he has a place he trusts and doesn't mind the cost, probably take it in. His comfort level seems a bit low to do it himself. A big question when doing a reimage is whether you did a good job keeping your personal files together in one spot. If they're scattered in a bunch of subdirectories all over your hard drive, doing the backup is a pain and you always seem to lose the one file that you end up needing. Murphy loves taking advantage of that sort of opportunity. Also, does he still have the original image disk from the manufacture. Most people lose them somewhere along the way. It's why I've never gotten over the habit of making sure I have either the original disks to all my software(inc. OS & Office) or I have access to the files in some way. When I need to start from scratch, I do a full format and reinstall. Pain in the ass sometimes, but I like starting with a completely clean system. I have a couple spare hard drives that keep my data stored.

56BISON73
06-27-2014, 02:32 AM
Did a chat thing with Samsung because I cant find the disc. Pisses me off because I save everything on stuff like this. I still have my recover disc from my Gateway Performance 650. So they told me to do a full system recovery. So I went to Firefox bookmarks and try and transfer my Bookmarks and for some reason FF decided to take a shit at that time. Restarted FF and guees what? All of my bookmark are gone. No shit.

56BISON73
06-27-2014, 02:41 AM
Anyone know how to save email messages?

BisonTeacher
06-27-2014, 02:49 AM
I think if he has a place he trusts and doesn't mind the cost, probably take it in. His comfort level seems a bit low to do it himself. A big question when doing a reimage is whether you did a good job keeping your personal files together in one spot. If they're scattered in a bunch of subdirectories all over your hard drive, doing the backup is a pain and you always seem to lose the one file that you end up needing. Murphy loves taking advantage of that sort of opportunity. Also, does he still have the original image disk from the manufacture. Most people lose them somewhere along the way. It's why I've never gotten over the habit of making sure I have either the original disks to all my software(inc. OS & Office) or I have access to the files in some way. When I need to start from scratch, I do a full format and reinstall. Pain in the ass sometimes, but I like starting with a completely clean system. I have a couple spare hard drives that keep my data stored.

This is why I dont have a laptop. I build my own pcs. Each one has a seperate drive for OS. ANd one for data. On my main PC I have three drives...one for Video just cuz it eats up so much space.

Like I was saying to Pat...I re-image about once a year. Just to start clean. I dont mind doing all the reinstalling. I actually enjoy it. Nerd. I have NEVER had luck with system restore. It usually can't find some registry key or something...and then crashes.

I wish I could help you more pat. Its hard to do it over the internet. Im not sure why you lost all your bookmarks. thats weird.

56BISON73
06-27-2014, 03:00 AM
This is why I dont have a laptop. I build my own pcs. Each one has a seperate drive for OS. ANd one for data. On my main PC I have three drives...one for Video just cuz it eats up so much space.

Like I was saying to Pat...I re-image about once a year. Just to start clean. I dont mind doing all the reinstalling. I actually enjoy it. Nerd. I have NEVER had luck with system restore. It usually can't find some registry key or something...and then crashes.

I wish I could help you more pat. Its hard to do it over the internet. Im not sure why you lost all your bookmarks. thats weird.

I think I have hit the wall at what I can do. Just going to take it in and have then do it. Plas they can also find out what the deal is with it over heating. Talked to 5 places today and found one I like. They seemed to be more interested in the issues I was having than the others plus asked tons of questions instead of just saying "bring it in and we will look at it". They will also do free diagnostic and only charge for work that is done after they talk to me after running all the tests.

BisonTeacher
06-27-2014, 03:07 AM
I think I have hit the wall at what I can do. Just going to take it in and have then do it. Plas they can also find out what the deal is with it over heating. Talked to 5 places today and found one I like. They seemed to be more interested in the issues I was having than the others plus asked tons of questions instead of just saying "bring it in and we will look at it". They will also do free diagnostic and only charge for work that is done after they talk to me after running all the tests.

probably the best plan at this point. Good back and post back what they find. Id be interested to know how it turns out for you.

56BISON73
06-27-2014, 03:12 AM
probably the best plan at this point. Good back and post back what they find. Id be interested to know how it turns out for you.

Thanks to you and everyone who tried to help.

td577
06-27-2014, 10:33 AM
Anyone know how to save email messages?

I never know how to bring them back up again. So I send the ones I want to keep to myself to my gmail account.

56BISON73
07-09-2014, 12:47 AM
Got my laptop back today. The major problem was a registry error that allowed the computer to over heat. When it over heated it caused a lot of other issues. So they cleaned it all up. Reinstalled windows and a service pack and a few other things and its working just fine. $79.00 bill.

Now I have an issue with my desk top. I wanted to switch from the VGA cable to an HDMI going from tower to the flat screen monitor. So I selected HDMI port for the flat sceen.. and with everything plugged in to the correct ports the monitor will go in to save power mode. When I power it back up the screen says there is no signal coming from the computer. When I switch back to the VGA cable it works fine. So whats the HDMI problem?

BisonTeacher
07-09-2014, 12:53 AM
Got my laptop back today. The major problem was a registry error that allowed the computer to over heat. When it over heated it caused a lot of other issues. So they cleaned it all up. Reinstalled windows and a service pack and a few other things and its working just fine. $79.00 bill.

Now I have an issue with my desk top. I wanted to switch from the VGA cable to an HDMI going from tower to the flat screen monitor. So I selected HDMI port for the flat sceen.. and with everything plugged in to the correct ports the monitor will go in to save power mode. When I power it back up the screen says there is no signal coming from the computer. When I switch back to the VGA cable it works fine. So whats the HDMI problem?

You may not have the hdmi driver for the video card installed?

56BISON73
07-09-2014, 12:56 AM
You may not have the hdmi driver for the video card installed?

So how do we go about doing that little number?

BisonTeacher
07-09-2014, 01:12 AM
So how do we go about doing that little number?

Is the video card the one that came with the computer?

56BISON73
07-09-2014, 01:22 AM
Is the video card the one that came with the computer?

Since I dont mess with that stuff I am going to say yes.

BisonTeacher
07-09-2014, 01:29 AM
Since I dont mess with that stuff I am going to say yes.

Its probably on the installation disk. You can look there for video drivers. Or go to device manager and click on video drivers and make sure they are all up to date.

56BISON73
07-09-2014, 02:02 AM
Its probably on the installation disk. You can look there for video drivers. Or go to device manager and click on video drivers and make sure they are all up to date.

Under what category would video drivers be under as there is nothing listed as video drivers.

BisonTeacher
07-09-2014, 02:30 AM
Under what category would video drivers be under as there is nothing listed as video drivers.

YOu looking on device manager, or installation disk? Try display adapters?

56BISON73
07-09-2014, 02:41 AM
YOu looking on device manager, or installation disk? Try display adapters?

Ok got it. NVIDIA Ge Force 240 last update 8-9-2013 9.18.13.2078

Couldnt update because my internet access is down right now and has been for two days. I am using my phone as a mobile hot spot so I can use my laptop right now. Phone is outside on the deck.
The internet people are supposed to be here tomorrow. When I called them the other day they ram=n a bunch of test and said ---wow you got problems.. Well no shit thats why I called you. Geeez.

BisonTeacher
07-09-2014, 02:57 AM
Ok got it. NVIDIA Ge Force 240 last update 8-9-2013 9.18.13.2078

Couldnt update because my internet access is down right now and has been for two days. I am using my phone as a mobile hot spot so I can use my laptop right now. Phone is outside on the deck.
The internet people are supposed to be here tomorrow. When I called them the other day they ram=n a bunch of test and said ---wow you got problems.. Well no shit thats why I called you. Geeez.

Is there a separate listing under display adapters for HDMI?

Either way try updating those drivers when you get your internet back.

56BISON73
07-09-2014, 09:41 PM
Found out some interesting stuff on the net in regards to my computer issue. Didnt know there is a thing called -discreet program. My HDMI port is hooked up to some video graphics card. BUT another card was also installed which disables the original and the port to use that card is a DVI.

BisonTeacher
07-09-2014, 10:46 PM
Found out some interesting stuff on the net in regards to my computer issue. Didnt know there is a thing called -discreet program. My HDMI port is hooked up to some video graphics card. BUT another card was also installed which disables the original and the port to use that card is a DVI.

Is that dvi card removeable or is ir on the motherboard?

56BISON73
07-09-2014, 11:12 PM
Is that dvi card removeable or is ir on the motherboard?

No clue. I read it on the net. if I find it again I will post it.

BisonTeacher
07-09-2014, 11:45 PM
No clue. I read it on the net. if I find it again I will post it.

I believe you. Im assuming you didnt open your computer case?

Try disabling it under device manager. Im guessing 2 video adapters will show up there.

56BISON73
07-09-2014, 11:53 PM
I believe you. Im assuming you didnt open your computer case?

Try disabling it under device manager. Im guessing 2 video adapters will show up there.

Only one shows up. But I am done with it. I bought another adapter for the VGA until the DVI cable shows up.

The Studio XPS 8100 has an onboard video and sound adapter, and also has an HDMI port that is driven by those devices. You find it in amongst the USB ports about midway up the chassis on the back of the computer. This port will, however, be disabled when an add-on card is installed.

The Radion also has an HDMI port, and assuming it was properly installed, you should be able to get an HDMI signal from that. Which of these ports are you using? The Radeon port will obviously be on the card itself which is located at the bottom of the tower with the rest of the expansion port slots. If that is the port you are using, it sometimes helps if you plug everything in with the power off on all devices, and then turn the TV/monitor on first. This allows the card to detect the connection when you power up the computer.