PDA

View Full Version : do not rush the field

Twentysix
11-01-2011, 08:48 PM
I have learned that if you rush the field you lose the ability to host playoff games.

Djkyro and the athletic staff need to make sure people understand this.

I don't forsee anyone rushing the field against youngstown and Im not sure that would matter even if it did happen.

But people could be tempted depending on a playoff matchup we get.... DO NOT DO IT. Or we lose the ability to host even if we were a #1 seed..

344Johnson
11-01-2011, 08:54 PM
This is a good thing to bring up, I was in the front of the student section and I heard some discussion from people about rushing the field. They bring additional security over just before the end of the game like they did for UNI, and no one will rush the field.

aces1180
11-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Do you have a source? Is this a new rule?

Last year, Eastern Washington rushed the field after they beat us...They hosted the next week.

Twentysix
11-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Do you have a source? Is this a new rule?

Last year, Eastern Washington rushed the field after they beat us...They hosted the next week.

I do have a source but its buried in a thread on another message board. Ill look for it.

App st was concerned they couldnt host because they rushed the field after beating GSU. The thing they quoted said rushing the field rule is only during the playoffs.

Bison03
11-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Source? I have to see it to believe it. Seems like a dumb rule. Let's say we win vs isu and then win vs Youngstown and win the conference and subsequently rush the field in celebration. You are telling me the NCAA playoff committee would not want a team with 19000 seats to sell with 70% of ticket revenue going to them to host a playoff game? Like, I said, seems dumb

SDbison
11-01-2011, 09:01 PM
Really? So this rule should be imposed on all of NCAA football then........no bowl appearance for FBS teams that rush the field. Do a bunch of women make the rules in NCAA football or what? Also, don't understand........how is it a woman is in charge of the MVFC? Is this just because some equal rights group wanted to make a point? I lost all faith in Patty Dipshat when she issued the game suspension to Pat Paschall.

aces1180
11-01-2011, 09:01 PM
Source? I have to see it to believe it. Seems like a dumb rule. Let's say we win vs isu and then win vs Youngstown and win the conference and subsequently rush the field in celebration. You are telling me the NCAA playoff committee would not want a team with 19000 seats to sell with 70% of ticket revenue going to them to host a playoff game? Like, I said, seems dumb

I just don't understand how you can penalize a team because of the action of their fans.

Twentysix
11-01-2011, 09:04 PM
http://theapp.appstate.edu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4269&Itemid=43

The National Collegiate Athletic Association has issued a policy that may threaten Appalachian State University’s possible home football playoff games if fans rush the field.

In an informational memo, the NCAA issued the following statement, “An institution failing to keep its spectators and other unauthorized personnel out of the competition area before, during or after a contest during any round of the championship may, as determined by the football committee, be prohibited from serving as a host for the subsequent round of the championship.”

Convened in 1997, the NCAA Committee on Sportsmanship and Ethical Conduct is responsible for the policy.

Twentysix
11-01-2011, 09:04 PM
I just don't understand how you can penalize a team because of the action of their fans.

Throw some stuff onto the field and watch what happens.

Twentysix
11-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Really? So this rule should be imposed on all of NCAA football then........no bowl appearance for FBS teams that rush the field. Do a bunch of women make the rules in NCAA football or what? Also, don't understand........how is it a woman is in charge of the MVFC? Is this just because some equal rights group wanted to make a point? I lost all faith in Patty Dipshat when she issued the game suspension to Pat Paschall.

No it couldnt effect the FBS because they only play 1 post season game and typically they arent hosted by an institution.

If they played multiple postseason games in which they were the host facility, they could be effected.

aces1180
11-01-2011, 09:11 PM
Throw some stuff onto the field and watch what happens.

You'll get a warning from the ref and/or PA announcer...Before you can throw anything else on the field, the Dome Nazis will be on your ass faster than you can say unsportsmanlike conduct.

What about EWU then?

Bisonguy
11-01-2011, 09:13 PM
It's kind of in the FCS championship handbook under Site Selection as well:

f. The committee will consider previous crowd-control measures and crowd behavior of the prospective host institution.

Twentysix
11-01-2011, 09:14 PM
You'll get a warning from the ref and/or PA announcer...Before you can throw anything else on the field, the Dome Nazis will be on your ass faster than you can say unsportsmanlike conduct.

What about EWU then?

dude ask the ncaa. I have no answer other than ill break your nose if you rush the feild and we lose the ability to host cause you are a defiant child. If we do not lose the ability to host its all good.

aces1180
11-01-2011, 09:15 PM
dude ask the ncaa. I have no answer other than ill break your nose if you rush the feild and we lose the ability to host cause you are a defiant child.

I wouldn't rush the field...I'm 31 years old...And if I did, good luck trying to do that...lol

Twentysix
11-01-2011, 09:18 PM
I wouldn't rush the field...I'm 31 years old...And if I did, good luck trying to do that...lol

I would be more worried about bandwagon students. Greatest risk imo.

Bisonguy
11-01-2011, 09:19 PM

I'm 37 and I'm rushing the field!

Well, I'll probably be walking across the field if I'm down by the south endzone at the end of the game. It's faster than walking over to the hallways to the north end zone.

Bisonguy
11-01-2011, 09:21 PM
I would be more worried about bandwagon students. Greatest risk imo.

I think security will have this handled pretty well. They usually have extra security on hand for big games and if there's a possibility of something like this happening. They had security about 10 feet apart in front of the student section for a game a few years back (Dakota Marker??)

SDbison
11-01-2011, 09:21 PM
This rule must have been passed through the NCAA Committee on passiveness and unisexuality.
Rushing the field can no longer be part of FCS college football (yet its OK in FBS)........only because a bunch of cold turds sitting in an NCAA office deemed such activity is unacceptable. The control freaks never cease to amaze me.

CivilBison96
11-01-2011, 09:22 PM
NCAA also has a policy during the playoffs against noisemakers, and "cheerleader" announcers. I was at the EWU game last year where both of these were not adhered to as well as fans rushing the field at the end of the game. They hosted Villanova the next week.

I think that due to the short turnaround these are policies that are hard to enforce in any given year but as quoted above it may definately be taken into consideration in coming years. Bottom line...DON'T RUSH THE FIELD and we have nothing to worry about. I do agree that this should be made known to the crowds in coming games at the Fargodome.

HerdBot
11-01-2011, 09:23 PM
So we should have sent 1000 Bison fans to Eastern WASHINGTON and rushed the field so the game would have been hosted in Fargo

TransAmBison
11-01-2011, 09:24 PM
I'm 37 and I'm rushing the field!

Well, I'll probably be walking across the field if I'm down by the south endzone at the end of the game. It's faster than walking over to the hallways to the north end zone.
http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt4/bobjohnson_03/Tailgating%202011/NDSU%20vs%20St%20Francis/076.jpg
I don't think we have any worries about you. :D

Bisonguy
11-01-2011, 09:26 PM
http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt4/bobjohnson_03/Tailgating 2011/NDSU vs St Francis/076.jpg
I don't think we have any worries about you. :D

LOL, I'm already in the north endzone there.

Jay
11-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Was it NDSU/Whioux the last time it happened in 2000?

bisonaudit
11-01-2011, 09:27 PM
This rule must have been passed through the NCAA Committee on passiveness and unisexuality.
Rushing the field can no longer be part of FCS college football (yet its OK in FBS)........only because a bunch of cold turds sitting in an NCAA office deemed such activity is unacceptable. The control freaks never cease to amaze me.

So, women have no place in running college athletics but you're amazed by control freaks?!

You never cease to amaze me.

roadwarrior
11-01-2011, 09:28 PM
I've never seen the Fargodome field "rushed" after a game, and I always stay until the end. If someone rushed the field in 2000, it was such a small number it didnt count and they ended up at the jail most likely.

HerdBot
11-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Its easy to fix. All you do is print on the tickets "rushing the field will result in an arrest and disqualify the bison from the hosting a playoff game And bison fans will beat the f*** out of you

Jay
11-01-2011, 09:30 PM
There was probably 300 or so... and no one got arrested. It wasn't the whole student section.

DjKyRo
11-01-2011, 09:31 PM
They don't saying anything about rushing Dacotah Field. Game on.

IzzyFlexion
11-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Somebody better get this warning information to that damn cardboard cutout of me.
He seems to have a mind of his own and thus far, I've been unable to curb his festive-like behavior.

56BISON73
11-01-2011, 09:41 PM
I think security will have this handled pretty well. They usually have extra security on hand for big games and if there's a possibility of something like this happening. They had security about 10 feet apart in front of the student section for a game a few years back (Dakota Marker??)

I bet the dom security last year had to be slobbering all over themselves when they were told of the NCAA rules for playoff games. ----

You mean we have more rules to enforce? Oh GOODY GOODY

MNLonghorn10
11-01-2011, 09:45 PM
yea well, good luck stopping me when ndsu clinches a spot in the championship game, suckers!

plus my wolf shirt will protect me

TransAmBison
11-01-2011, 09:51 PM
I've never seen the Fargodome field "rushed" after a game, and I always stay until the end. If someone rushed the field in 2000, it was such a small number it didnt count and they ended up at the jail most likely.My buddies wanted to rush the field so I was out there. Quite a few...wouldn't really want to say a number...but if I was pressed I would say around 14k. :D

Tatanka
11-01-2011, 09:57 PM
There was probably 300 or so... and no one got arrested. It wasn't the whole student section.

http://badatsports.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/300-sparta.jpg

?

Herd Mentality
11-01-2011, 10:06 PM
So, can anyone come up with a rule that WASN'T broken by EWU last year?

tony
11-01-2011, 10:08 PM
So, can anyone come up with a rule that WASN'T broken by EWU last year?

I don't think they were wearing white pants after Labor Day.

344Johnson
11-01-2011, 10:12 PM
yea well, good luck stopping me when ndsu clinches a spot in the championship game, suckers!

plus my wolf shirt will protect me

wolf shirt+championship game clinched= Fargodome is good to rush the field? Sounds logical enough for me to give it a go.

Also, KyRo's idea....I would find it rather hilarious if the moment the clock hit zero everyone in the dome sprinted over to Dacotah Field and started having a big mosh..

CivilBison96
11-01-2011, 10:18 PM

They definately were in compliance here they had "gay" red pants on in attempt to look like the "big tampon"!

EndZoneQB
11-01-2011, 10:18 PM
I bet the dom security last year had to be slobbering all over themselves when they were told of the NCAA rules for playoff games. ----

You mean we have more rules to enforce? Oh GOODY GOODY

Ask me how I know this...

Apparently, the NCAA has a rule against standing on a lip of the stands.

EmeraldCityBison
11-01-2011, 10:23 PM

Isn't it NO white pants after Labor Day? That might be the only rule they actually followed.

56BISON73
11-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Ask me how I know this...

Apparently, the NCAA has a rule against standing on a lip of the stands.

Its called creative license---they adlibed that one.:)

4mcruenomore
11-01-2011, 11:11 PM
The field was rushed in 2000, I have it on DVD to prove it. People jumped over the railing.

Bison03
11-01-2011, 11:34 PM
http://theapp.appstate.edu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4269&Itemid=43

Looks like this only aplies in the playoffs. So don't rush the field in the playoffs and we are fine. I also thought e wash rushed the field after beating us as well. Wonder if this a threat like you mom gives you as a kid like "eat your vegetables of Christmas is cancelled." If we are fortunate to win a home semi final game than by all means rush the field, I will be right there with you. As for the last time it happened (2000 UND game) I along with a couple hundred students were all on the field. No one was arested. By the way, the distance from over the rail to the turf is a lot further than it looks.

KINGRANCH
11-01-2011, 11:52 PM
go to gopherhole it is absolutely f@@$ing hillarious they rushed the field after the iowa game, and thought it was a ok for a shitty team with a terrible record to do so. and just for you endzone quarterback there is a security guard tackling people and leg whipping them, their administration promptly fired him. humorous stuff

Bisonguy
11-02-2011, 12:06 AM
Looks like this only aplies in the playoffs. So don't rush the field in the playoffs and we are fine. I also thought e wash rushed the field after beating us as well. Wonder if this a threat like you mom gives you as a kid like "eat your vegetables of Christmas is cancelled." If we are fortunate to win a home semi final game than by all means rush the field, I will be right there with you. As for the last time it happened (2000 UND game) I along with a couple hundred students were all on the field. No one was arested. By the way, the distance from over the rail to the turf is a lot further than it looks.
we a fortunate to

No, it applies to the regular season as well, as part of the site selection process for the playoffs.

TheBisonator
11-02-2011, 01:32 AM
Then, we're all in agreement. Only rush the field if we win in the semis at the FFD. That would be the only logical opportunity to storm the field anyway. Save one big one for the most important win at home. Don't start being like App and do it all the freakin time.

56BISON73
11-02-2011, 01:38 AM
Ok I gotta ask. Why do you want to rush the field? Have you never been on one? So when you rush the field what do you do when you get there? Not a lot to do except say to yourself I rushed the field. Ok Now what?

Twentysix
11-02-2011, 03:11 AM
Ok I gotta ask. Why do you want to rush the field? Have you never been on one? So when you rush the field what do you do when you get there? Not a lot to do except say to yourself I rushed the field. Ok Now what?

Its just a way to celebrating.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5egcHCNnyzI&feature=related

Kinda like a keg stand. :[ Not that hard to understand imo.. That said its a no no if we have any more games to host in the playoffs.

NDSUBowler
11-02-2011, 03:18 AM
Granted the Fargodome isn't Camp Randall, but I was lucky enough to have tickets in the student section when Wisc beat #1 OSU last year in primetime and everyone rushed the field and it was fun to say we were out on the field at a historic stadium.

For most people, they only get the chance to run onto the field once in their life and it is their chance to feel like they are 'part of the team' I'd guess?

In any case, its a fun thing to do and was something I had always wished I could do at least one time.

Camera pic from on the field
http://vvcap.net/db/cZDvjOI1YyRfXiJcj_7m.png

And as we were leaving
http://vvcap.net/db/UCsiwztpuL1rvgFaTcT_.png

(I was just looking for excuses to post cool pics)

4mcruenomore
11-02-2011, 03:20 AM
There is no reason to try to explain it to PL. He is a buzz kill and is very opinionated on "how things are suppose to be". I think it's cool to see, imo.

Twentysix
11-02-2011, 03:25 AM
There is no reason to try to explain it to PL. He is a buzz kill and is very opinionated on "how things are suppose to be". I think it's cool to see, imo.

Its a generational thing... X Y Z get it. BB dont. Most things are this way. Each to their own.

56BISON73
11-02-2011, 04:19 AM
Its a generational thing... X Y Z get it. BB dont. Most things are this way. Each to their own.

You are correct. I never said it was correct to do or uncorrect.

Jay
11-02-2011, 04:37 AM
The field was rushed in 2000, I have it on DVD to prove it. People jumped over the railing.

That's why I brought it up... I was out there and it was awesome!

UncleBuck
11-02-2011, 01:55 PM
I just watched the end of the Appalachian State - Georgia Southern game on ESPN3.com, and the Appalachian State fans rushed the field, being encouraged by the players. Just an FYI.

Hammerhead
11-02-2011, 02:00 PM
Fans took to the field after the 1986 D-II championship down in Florence. (That's how I got my avatar photo.) -- Edit. My avatar is gone. I'll work on geting it back. -- There were several mounted police guarding the goalposts and it wasn't really a mad rush to the field. It was more like a leisurely walk.

tony
11-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Related story:

http://www.kttc.com/story/15948469/guard-at-gophers-stadium-fired-for-attacking-fans

So Gophers fans had permission to rush the field after their win against Iowa and a security guard decided that he wasn't going to put up with that nonsense.

Bison"FANatic"
11-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Related story:

http://www.kttc.com/story/15948469/guard-at-gophers-stadium-fired-for-attacking-fans

So Gophers fans had permission to rush the field after their win against Iowa and a security guard decided that he wasn't going to put up with that nonsense.

Imagine what the guard would have done if the students had been standing on the ledge by the railing cheering on the gophers.

roadwarrior
11-03-2011, 02:33 PM
What I don't understand is why any Gopher fan would rush the field this year (or most any other year).

KC Bison
11-03-2011, 02:41 PM
It seems to me that the NCAA would have bigger problems to worry about than what happens after a game. If I were the NCAA, I'd be more concerned when a team that only sells 4,000 tickets a game has guaranteed home playoff games like last year (EW). I would think the NCAA would be much happier to guarantee home games to any team that would sell 18-25,000 seats and not if they rush the field or not.

EndZoneQB
11-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Imagine what the guard would have done if the students had been standing on the ledge by the railing cheering on the gophers.

On the broadcast from Saturday, they showed a little girl doing the same thing, yet I didn't see three officers swarm her like a criminal...

SDbison
11-03-2011, 05:33 PM
On the broadcast from Saturday, they showed a little girl doing the same thing, yet I didn't see three officers swarm her like a criminal... Endzone, are you trying to say you are like a little girl? :)

BlueBisonRock
11-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Endzone, are you trying to say you are like a little girl? :)

I hear he screamed like one when the local constables caught him on the lip.....

And then his only option was to get 'on the run'.

:hide: (jk EZ!)

EndZoneQB
11-03-2011, 05:54 PM
Endzone, are you trying to say you are like a little girl? :)

If that keeps me out of the cuffs, then sure! lol

Strommer10
11-04-2011, 02:57 PM
If/ when we ever win the National Title, I will be all for rushing the field. Until we do that, rushing the field will not & should not happen.

mnriverbison
11-04-2011, 03:36 PM
If/ when we ever win the National Title, I will be all for rushing the field. Until we do that, rushing the field will not & should not happen.

No harm in a bunch of college kids rushing the field after a big upset, beating a rival, etc etc. For an old(er) guy like me, I may reserve it for something like a title. And even then, "rush" would be a generous way to describe my trip to the field.