PDA

View Full Version : Coach Bohl

KSBisonFan
10-31-2011, 11:39 PM
I know we just signed coach to an extension but I haven't found anything in the news releases about a buyout if he decides to leave. The reason I ask is I talk regularly with a Kansas booster and he is extremely impressed with our program. He watches all the Bison games and today in our post weekend conversation he asked about Bohl's contract and his buyout clause. Anyone know if there is a buyout clause in his contract? Turner Gill is making $1 mil + and about ready to be run out of the state. Not a fun topic to think about but he's gotta be high on some school's list. Thoughts?

JMB
11-01-2011, 12:05 AM
I know we just signed coach to an extension but I haven't found anything in the news releases about a buyout if he decides to leave. The reason I ask is I talk regularly with a Kansas booster and he is extremely impressed with our program. He watches all the Bison games and today in our post weekend conversation he asked about Bohl's contract and his buyout clause. Anyone know if there is a buyout clause in his contract? Turner Gill is making $1 mil + and about ready to be run out of the state. Not a fun topic to think about but he's gotta be high on some school's list. Thoughts?

The Kansas guy should have checked in last year when we (bisonville) were ready to fire him. Of course give us another year, I am sure we will come around again. :biggrin:

Strommer10
11-01-2011, 05:51 PM

I hope the Buyout clause is high for Bohl. Just because I would love for him to stay as long as possible. With that being said, Bohl has been all about the program here at NDSU and knows we have something really special. I know he is a BCS guy and all, but I don't see him leaving til we have a championship. After that, the mood might all change. But until then, he runs the program. He IS the big man on campus. The average person can tell you his name before our own school president's name. Plus he gets paid a very nice chunk of change with great incentives. (Yes I know he could make more at the FBS level, but it's not like he is poor.)

HerdBot
11-01-2011, 06:00 PM

Fortunately boosters don't hire and fire coaches. The AD does. Seems counter productive to talk about rumors with no sources other than a booster heading into the peak recruiting season. This comes up every time we have a good season and typically its all speculation. Thats why he is still here and just signed a contract. No need to fuel the fire. This isn't the D2 days. NDSU is now one of the best and highest paid FCS jobs on the planet.

bisonaudit
11-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Fortunately boosters don't hire and fire coaches. The AD does.

Boosters absolutely hire and fire coaches, and they run ADs out of town for trying to hire or fire coaches that don't meet their approval.

NDSUstudent
11-01-2011, 06:05 PM
I don't think there is any buyout if Bohl leaves to be an FBS head coach. That said, he had an interview with Heitkamp a few weeks and it was pretty clear he isn't looking to go anywhere. He said not getting the MN job was the best thing that could have happened to him, he seems to be really happy here. It would probably take a pretty solid job offer for him to leave.

CAS4127
11-01-2011, 06:09 PM
YTF do we even have to start threads like this? Do you really think for a minute that potential or real recruits and or opposing recruiters don't see or look at this forum?!

You are naive if you don't. So, now our rivals can tell recruits there is talk about Coach Bohl leaving, and, with the correct google search, this thread will show up--just sayin!!

North Side
11-01-2011, 06:12 PM
My how the times have changed 2 seasons ago people were ready for him to get fired, but I guess that's what a whale of a season will do for u! :)

Strommer10
11-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Bohl has no plans of going anywhere else. New signed contract along with him saying he is here to stay. Seems good enough for me. :)

go_bison
11-01-2011, 08:00 PM
He ain't going anywhere. He wants to stay in Fargo. If he wanted a FBS job, he could have and would have taken one by now. Plus, he's got a wife from here that doesn't want to leave. Happy wife = happy life... or so I am told. :D

HerdBot
11-01-2011, 08:11 PM
YTF do we even have to start threads like this? Do you really think for a minute that potential or real recruits and or opposing recruiters don't see or look at this forum?!

You are naive if you don't. So, now our rivals can tell recruits there is talk about Coach Bohl leaving, and, with the correct google search, this thread will show up--just sayin!!

I second that. We live in a social media world now. And the truth of the matter is there is no truth whatsoever to any BS rumor to Bohl leaving. Absolutely nothing. I encourage the mods to DELETE THIS THREAD!

HandoEX
11-01-2011, 08:37 PM

While I hate these threads, you can't be serious with this response? If that's the case, I am off to every opponent's message board to scare off their recruits!

HerdBot
11-01-2011, 08:47 PM
While I hate these threads, you can't be serious with this response? If that's the case, I am off to every opponent's message board to scare off their recruits!

CAS is absolutely correct. It's 2011. Social media is the preferred way of communicating. This is how BS rumors start. Bisonville is the only legit message board around NDSU athletics. And I would be willing to bet that some of our coaches check other teams boards as well. And the sad truth is trolls from other teams sometimes start false rumors

56BISON73
11-01-2011, 08:53 PM
I was wondering when this was going to come up.

kab1one
11-01-2011, 09:01 PM
He ain't going anywhere. He wants to stay in Fargo. If he wanted a FBS job, he could have and would have taken one by now. Plus, he's got a wife from here that doesn't want to leave. Happy wife = happy life... or so I am told. :D

Do you really believe what you just wrote? First of all when has he been offered a FBS job? Before you make the decision you need to have an offer. And do you honestly believe that he got an offer of $1 million per year like Jerry Kill he would stay in Fargo? Ryan can fly the family anywhere in the country to come visit.

Reality is he would be gone in a heartbeat. And you would to if you had the offer.

bisonaudit
11-01-2011, 09:17 PM
When you win at this level rumors start about your coach leaving.

You can't control it.

When you lose at this level rumors start about your coach getting fired.

You can't control that either.

I'll take the former over the latter everyday and twice on Saturday.

HerdBot
11-01-2011, 09:47 PM

You can't control it.

True but you CAN control not starting BS rumors in a public forum.

go_bison
11-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Do you really believe what you just wrote? First of all when has he been offered a FBS job? Before you make the decision you need to have an offer. And do you honestly believe that he got an offer of $1 million per year like Jerry Kill he would stay in Fargo? Ryan can fly the family anywhere in the country to come visit.

Reality is he would be gone in a heartbeat. And you would to if you had the offer.

First off, who said anything about being offered a FBS Job ? There is a process of taking a head coaching job in college football. And it starts by showing interest, and he has not shown any interest that any of us are aware of. I am sure there are plenty of higher paid jobs that have came up in this country that he could have shown interest in and has not. That is why I have the confidence about him staying as I do.
It's not always about the money, it's about the best fit.

bisonaudit
11-01-2011, 09:54 PM
I'm just saying this stuff is inevitable so there's no sense sweating exactly where it's coming from.

If it's some idiot somewhere it doesn't mean anything and if it's not some idiot somewhere then it means that people who matter in the world of college football are paying attention to your program which is exactly what you want for purposes of attracting coaches, athletes, students and dollars.

344Johnson
11-01-2011, 11:40 PM

Perhaps. I agree with you that he would probably head out. But at some point, does he just say, "You know what, I've been here for (insert number) years. I honestly get the opportunity to be the most popular person in pretty well the whole town. I have a good job. I like being the big cheese here." The guy coaching Appalachian State has been there for ages. At some point, it's not so bad being a big fish in a decent sized lake.

I for one, in his situation, have a "Notre Dame Clause" :) I wouldn't mind coaching Notre Dame. I'm sure he wouldn't mind coaching Nebraska.

semobison
11-01-2011, 11:54 PM
First off, who said anything about being offered a FBS Job ? There is a process of taking a head coaching job in college football. And it starts by showing interest, and he has not shown any interest that any of us are aware of. I am sure there are plenty of higher paid jobs that have came up in this country that he could have shown interest in and has not. That is why I have the confidence about him staying as I do.
It's not always about the money, it's about the best fit.

Dont kid yourself! Its always about the money! This is a thread for a later time!

90 BISON
11-03-2011, 02:36 AM
Dont kid yourself! Its always about the money! This is a thread for a later time!

Money is important but so is job security. One year with a big check or multiple years with a smaller check and good job security.

td577
11-03-2011, 04:36 PM
Actually, this is the type of discussion which is indicative of a successful program. Even if he were to leave, he has established a program which will be viewed by any up and coming young coach as being the perfect stepping stone. He has established a program where players are getting legitimate chances to make NFL rosters. The future is bright and will continue to shine with a continued building of this program. There are many young coaches with fantastic potential and NDSU is a lucrative program. Whether it is too attractive for Bohl to leave or the program finds itself in the position to move to the next head coaching star, the program can continue this trek of excellence.

mnriverbison
11-03-2011, 09:41 PM

You can't control it.

No doubt. And the rumors here hurting recruiting? I don't buy it.

Also-If Bohl gets a BCS offer he is gone. There is nothing wrong with that.

mnriverbison
11-03-2011, 09:42 PM
Money is important but so is job security. One year with a big check or multiple years with a smaller check and good job security.

If you get fired at a BCS job that is worth more than keeping an FCS job for 10 years. And even then he could still go coach FCS again.

semobison
11-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Not knocking coach Bohl but Bison football is bigger than one man! We won 5 national championships in the 80's with 3 different coaches! It would suck if he left but sombody would step in and the program would continue to be successful!

Bison"FANatic"
11-03-2011, 10:07 PM
This^^^^^^^^^^^

TheBisonator
11-03-2011, 10:15 PM
I can only see Bohl going to a BCS AQ school, not a school like Wyoming or Northern Illinois. For all intents and purposes, a non-BCS FBS is basically a lateral move from NDSU. I remember when Mississippi State was looking for a new coach and they threw Bohl's name out there, that kind of scared me. he was interviewed by the Goophers, but I knew he wouldn't get the job, because he's a winner, and the Goophs don't like hiring winners.

Herd
11-03-2011, 10:50 PM
At some point in the future, Bohl might be offered 7 figures to leave. If so, he should take it. That said, I think his time is at least a couple years away.

Bohl is a program administrator more than he is an Xs and Os guy in our program. He is an effective leader, creating a successful structure around him and managing it effectively. He has shown the ability to adapt, change, correct problems . . . all signs of a very effective leader. If he leaves, he will leave us in a strong position with a solid structure in our program. When/If Bohl leaves, it will have minimal impact on recruiting because of the program and the structure that is in place.

We all know coaches who are control freaks and micro managers, that is not Bohl. He trusts the people around him, develops them, and makes people better . . . preparing them for their next job. In the MVFC, Bohl is the best example of a program Leader rather than a Xs and Os guy. A guy who seems to be the other extreme who controls everything and calls all shots is Farley at UNI, but I could be wrong. Just a different approach between Farley and Bohl. Bohl would seem (IMO) to be better suited to Leading at the next level.

badger04
11-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Nice article in the Lincoln Junior Star yesterday about Coach Bohl
http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_640e23c5-f083-5bf4-9d98-5b7824925730.html

90 BISON
11-04-2011, 01:30 PM
Nice article in the Lincoln Junior Star yesterday about Coach Bohl
http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_640e23c5-f083-5bf4-9d98-5b7824925730.html

Thanks for this Badger 04. Nice article for Bohl and nice article for NDSU.

90 BISON
11-04-2011, 01:36 PM
If you get fired at a BCS job that is worth more than keeping an FCS job for 10 years. And even then he could still go coach FCS again.

I don't disagree, however I think if Bohl moves it will be to a job that will pay well and offer job security. Minnesota for instance does not offer job security because if you don't do extremely well you will be fired. Remember Glen Mason? Coach Mueller was offered the head softball job at Minn. a couple of years ago and he turned it down in favor of coaching his Bison team that made the Sweet 16. I think it is a similar dynamic in football, some of the big paychecks are not worth the trouble.

bisonaudit
11-04-2011, 01:53 PM
If you're looking for job security, head coach - college football, is not the right profession. Job security doesn't exist.

Strommer10
11-04-2011, 01:59 PM
My opinion on this if I was in Coach Bohl's situation is this:

1. I love my job here. Successful program, great facilities for FCS, great fanbase, top FCS program.
2. If I recieved a lower FBS offer, (MAC, WAC) I would not take anything to go there.
3. If an offer came from the likes of U of M, KU, etc., You might get offered close to a $1 mil. For money reasons, it makes sense but to compete in the Big Ten or Big 12 in a lower tier program is no walk in the park. But it can be done.

The situation/money would have to be perfect at a BCS conference school in order for me to leave. Also your chances at winning a National title go from pretty good to slim to none. Once/if Bohl wins a title here, I could see him looking somewhere else. But until then, I don't see him leaving unless something like the Nebraska job comes calling.

I might be a little biased in my opinion being from around here, but that is how I would look at it.
Good FBS job= leave
Anything less= stay

Strommer10
11-04-2011, 02:00 PM
If you're looking for job security, head coach - college football, is not the right profession. Job security doesn't exist.
FACT. Even though a couple years ago people were calling for Bohl to be fired on here, his job is literally as safe as it can be right now & probably for the foreseeable future.

Bison 4 Life
11-04-2011, 02:09 PM
You don't think Jerry Moore's been offered or thought of for any other jobs? His early background is the same as Bohl's (Nebraska, Arkansas assistant) and even Head Coach at Texas Tech. Living right in the heart of ACC country, it would seem that he would have an incentive to go somewhere else but he has been at that job for 22 years. Bohl is a huge fish in a very small pond here, never underestimate that dynamic. 200-300 grand is a lot of money in Fargo, it would feel like a million dollars.

Strommer10
11-04-2011, 02:37 PM
You don't think Jerry Moore's been offered or thought of for any other jobs? His early background is the same as Bohl's (Nebraska, Arkansas assistant) and even Head Coach at Texas Tech. Living right in the heart of ACC country, it would seem that he would have an incentive to go somewhere else but he has been at that job for 22 years. Bohl is a huge fish in a very small pond here, never underestimate that dynamic. 200-300 grand is a lot of money in Fargo, it would feel like a million dollars.
Like I said, he is the man in town. He might not be if he went to some other FBS schools, even BCS schools (UofM, KU, etc.).

CAS4127
11-04-2011, 02:39 PM
One thing also in the mix is the fanbase. I would surmise that Bohl loves the fact that NDSU football has a very intense and passionate fanbase. Did any of you see the Miami (Ohio) v.Toledo game last night? There was no one in the stands!!!

Strommer10
11-04-2011, 02:48 PM
One thing also in the mix is the fanbase. I would surmise that Bohl loves the fact that NDSU football has a very intense and passionate fanbase. Did any of you see the Miami (Ohio) v.Toledo game last night? There was no one in the stands!!!
Exactly why the MAC would not be appealing to me.

mnriverbison
11-04-2011, 03:40 PM
To be clear, I did post that he is gone if he gets an FBS offer. Mid-major (MAC) type school the money and security would probably not be enough. Besides, there is no need to take that step. A crappy (Duke, Vandy, IU, UM, etc) BCS job is not much tougher to get and comes with far more financial security for your family. Beyond that, you can jump straight from prime FCS (NDSU or maybe Youngstown State) to BCS. So why take the risk of maybe failing at MAC on the way?

herdmember
11-06-2011, 03:04 AM
Has there ever been a 'damn we're lucky to have Bohl, so here's a tribute to him' type thread? I didn't want to start a new one, so I figured here is as good a place as any.

In his early years of FCS at NDSU, we had great starters, but not much depth. (watching Indiana State today reminded me of that) Now, our entire roster is basically good. He has a great recruiting philosophy and we are solid top to bottom. He IS the figure head of this program. He plays the best player at every position, period. When it was time for Jensen, even with the KU upset, he made the move. When it was Beck's time, he found a spot for him in a loaded linebacker corps.

Thank you Coach Bohl for recruiting the right kids, thank you for coaching them up, and thank you for being a good game day coach.

scbison91
11-06-2011, 11:11 AM
Correct there. Just ask the University of Michigan.

A1pigskin
11-06-2011, 01:27 PM
The recruiting in the past two years are paying off on the depth charts.

BisonNeil
11-06-2011, 03:05 PM
According to SN, 11 of 20 tickets punched for the playoffs. From MVFC that includes NDSU, UNI and ISU-red. YSU is on the bubble.

Also making the article is a bit on Bell being held to less than 100 yds rushing for the first time all season.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/shapiro/index.htm

EndZoneQB
11-06-2011, 03:12 PM
According to SN, 11 of 20 tickets punched for the playoffs. From MVFC that includes NDSU, UNI and ISU-red. YSU is on the bubble.

Also making the article is a bit on Bell being held to less than 100 yds rushing for the first time all season.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/shapiro/index.htm

Already been posted 2 places lol and not for the first time all season, since the 2nd week of the year.

Indiana State running back Shakir Bell was held under 100 yards for the first time since Week 2 in a 27-16 loss to North Dakota State. The sophomore, who was shaken up early on an awkward tackle, carried 16 times for 79 yards

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/11/06/in-fcs-huddle-for-some-playoff-ticket-all-but-punched/#ixzz1cwQ0Xsmw