PDA

View Full Version : fourth down

Bisonwinagn
10-30-2011, 06:25 PM
Is anyone else disappointed that the Bison weren't ready for UNI going for it on 4th and 2 especially after a timeout? This play could have effected the outcome of the game and it seemed rather obvious at that point in the game. I realize Bohl would NEVER go for it in that sitution so that is probably why they weren't ready for it. And yes I'm still bitter about Bohl not going for it last year on 4th and 1 that cost them the EWU game.

This may have already been discussed but I couldn't keep reading the my dad can beat up your dad crap in all the other threads.

Anyway congrats on a good Win!!!

BisonTeacher
10-30-2011, 06:28 PM
Im still bitter about him not going for it on 4th at the end of the SDSU game in '09.

Strommer10
10-30-2011, 06:34 PM
One of the guys that I was with called this during the time out and said we should just keep our defense on the field. Let them punt it and not risk a drop fair catch. It's tough to say, but hind sight is 20/20 right?

56BISON73
10-30-2011, 06:53 PM
One of the guys that I was with called this during the time out and said we should just keep our defense on the field. Let them punt it and not risk a drop fair catch. It's tough to say, but hind sight is 20/20 right?

Our defense was on the field. I think this was brought up earlier by The socalledfan and Bohl should have called a time out just to get everone organized.
You are talking about when they all of a sudden changed the punting team for the reg O? If so they should also have recognized what was going on as there O was gathering on the sidelines.

stevdock
10-30-2011, 07:22 PM
I was more irritated with the progression of that play to be honest. They call a timeout and then TV gives UNI 5 minutes to figure out exactly how and what they want to run on that play. I thought that was absolutely ridiculous. That could have been a game changing play that TV could have affected. We need to get the TV timeouts under control somehow because I think they are getting worse and worse every week. TV timeout before a punt/kickoff and then another right after the next play, really?? Because of all those stopages there is sometimes no flow at all to the game.

56BISON73
10-30-2011, 07:31 PM
I was more irritated with the progression of that play to be honest. They call a timeout and then TV gives UNI 5 minutes to figure out exactly how and what they want to run on that play. I thought that was absolutely ridiculous. That could have been a game changing play that TV could have affected. We need to get the TV timeouts under control somehow because I think they are getting worse and worse every week. TV timeout before a punt/kickoff and then another right after the next play, really?? Because of all those stopages there is sometimes no flow at all to the game.

Plus it can kill momentum. The TV thing is a double edge sword. Its great for our far away fans and the exposure. But the devil in the deal is advertising.

ndsubison1
10-30-2011, 10:46 PM
i personally thought we should have called a timeout when they switched to their O at the LOS

Ferd
10-30-2011, 10:50 PM
i personally thought we should have called a timeout when they switched to their O at the LOS
At that point we still had all three timeouts available. We looked frowzled.

td577
10-30-2011, 11:12 PM
Later the Bison did have to call a timeout when they realized UNI was going for two after their last TD. There is no way anyone should have thought they were going to kick. It was a 24-19 game, in the fourth quarter, and two points gives them the FG option if they were to get the ball back. I put those two coaching failures on Bohl. He is the one who should be keeping track of strategies and situation dictating events. The punt situation should have warranted a time out. They should have been ready for the conversion situation. On the scoreboard the two events might have evened out, but on the field they are momentum changing events that need to be better managed.

BlueBisonRock
10-31-2011, 12:04 AM
Later the Bison did have to call a timeout when they realized UNI was going for two after their last TD. There is no way anyone should have thought they were going to kick. It was a 24-19 game, in the fourth quarter, and two points gives them the FG option if they were to get the ball back. I put those two coaching failures on Bohl. He is the one who should be keeping track of strategies and situation dictating events. The punt situation should have warranted a time out. They should have been ready for the conversion situation. On the scoreboard the two events might have evened out, but on the field they are momentum changing events that need to be better managed.

Bohl was the coach who sprinted down the sideline and made the time out call on the extra point. Net result. Zero.

Yes, a timeout was the appropriate call on the 4th down Iowa Corn Dawg shuffle. At least as far as us arm chair types can see it. Smart call on Farley's part.

The bottom line, We faced the unexpected multiple times, split the difference, and won the game.

MNLonghorn10
10-31-2011, 12:06 AM
back up qb, no rb in the backfield..2 yards so they werent goin to sneak it...this had the makings of a quick pass or a fb dive..just a brain fart on defense

BFKasper14
10-31-2011, 01:32 AM
I personally had no problem with them not calling timeout. NDSU had their whole regular defense out there except for 2 guys who came in. The way I see it is, they made a better play than our defense did. And right now, it doesn't really matter. NDSU beat UNI. That's what it comes down to.

NorthernBison
10-31-2011, 01:38 AM
I personally had no problem with them not calling timeout. NDSU had their whole regular defense out there except for 2 guys who came in. The way I see it is, they made a better play than our defense did. And right now, it doesn't really matter. NDSU beat UNI. That's what it comes down to.

I was thinking the only guy that came off was Ryan Smith and Pike went in. It was the regular defense out there. We weren't caught napping. The pass was good enough for a first down and the initial tackler wasn't able to get the receiver on the ground. That turned it into a bigger play than it should have been.

The point in the game where the coaches were reallly alseep was on the 55 second drive at the end of the first half. We played the first two plays of that drive with 10 guys on defense. The gains on those two plays made it possible for them to get three points.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
10-31-2011, 03:14 AM

I thought there were relatively few TV timeouts. The Gopher game w/BTN was way worse. Long TV timeouts what seemed like all the time.

jimmyptubas
10-31-2011, 03:18 AM
I personally thought it was clever and effective play calling by UNI. I was yelling at my wife ...." why arent' they going for it...there's only 6 minutes left!!". Then she confidently retorted " oh look, here they come...why are they coming back on the field so fast??".

ndsubison1
10-31-2011, 07:30 AM
i think it's pretty obvious what a team is gonna do when they line up to punt then call a timeout. in most cases they will bring the O back out onto the field in that situation

IndyBison
10-31-2011, 02:50 PM
If you watch the play you'll notice the referee sticks both arms out to the side and the umpire stands over the ball. There is a rule that if an offense substitutes, the defense has to be given an opportunity to respond. If the defense makes no attempt to substitute then the referee drops his arms and the umpire returns to his position. If the offense does this substitution late in the play clock and it runs out before the defense completes their substitution then it's a delay of game on the OFFENSE. They created the situation with a late substitution and were likely trying to gain an advantage by doing it.

If the Bison had their punt return team in after the timeout, they would have been given a brief opportunity to run their defense on the field after UNI subbed.

1998braves64
10-31-2011, 05:55 PM
That's what I mentioned to someone that NDSU should have a chance to bring their defense on the field, I didn't notice if they did substitute anyone but my thought was expecting a fake of some sort due to them running the clock down to 1 before calling a timeout they had plenty of time to set and snap the ball. My thought was they were trying to run the most time off the clock that they could, that was a red flag for me. Of course they trotted their punt team out there I was still thinking fake as they only had to get 3 yards and midfield, end of the half, I believe. When I saw the mad rush of offensive team @20 secs on play clock (which probably in their minds gives them time to get people on othe field and allow other team to substitute if needed, on the sidelines I knew exactly what was happening... I'm surprised that the NDSU coachin staff up in the box didn't catch these flags that pointed to a fake of some sort. Kudos to UNI it worked, and executed it very well.

If you watch the play you'll notice the referee sticks both arms out to the side and the umpire stands over the ball. There is a rule that if an offense substitutes, the defense has to be given an opportunity to respond. If the defense makes no attempt to substitute then the referee drops his arms and the umpire returns to his position. If the offense does this substitution late in the play clock and it runs out before the defense completes their substitution then it's a delay of game on the OFFENSE. They created the situation with a late substitution and were likely trying to gain an advantage by doing it.

If the Bison had their punt return team in after the timeout, they would have been given a brief opportunity to run their defense on the field after UNI subbed.