PDA

View Full Version : Mike Favor

roadwarrior
10-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Mike will be honored tomorrow at halftime for his induction into the National Football Foundation College Hall of Fame this summer.

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=205323738

I wish all of you could have heard his speech yesterday at the Endowment Lunch.

CAS4127
10-28-2011, 03:26 PM
Congrats again to Mike. Hey road, ya think anybody filmed Mike's speech? Would like to hear it, and would be nice to share it with all of BV!!

roadwarrior
10-28-2011, 04:01 PM
I doubt it, CAS.

Bison Dan
10-28-2011, 04:12 PM
Wow what a speech - He had everyone laughing one moment and almost crying the next. His love for the Bison family is unbelievable. Said he wished Coach Bohl was his coach. (He said it in a way that wasn't a slam on his coaches when he played but as a real compliment to Mr. Bohl)

tcbison
10-28-2011, 04:19 PM
First of all, congrats to Mike Favor. A Bison great and legend!

I have never made a Bison luncheon and have been a Team Maker for many year(even years that I didn't have tickets). However, I think it would be great for us out-of-towners to be filled in on what is said and what not. It is almost like the people that live in Fargo get the special treatment that the rest of us do not. Maybe someone from BV could do a little summary from time to time? That would be greatly appreciated.

HerdBot
10-28-2011, 04:45 PM
That's awesome. A great player from a great era.

roadwarrior
10-28-2011, 05:42 PM
He said more than once, "I came to NDSU to play football." It was after he got here that he realized that he came to NDSU for an education also. He emphasized that when he was inducted into the Hall of Fame, that it wasn't about him, but that it was about everyone around him at NDSU. There were over 100 current student athletes at the lunch yesterday from all sports at NDSU. He told them to look around because they are part of something very special at NDSU. Mike went to the tailgating at the fairgrounds in the Twin Cities before the MN game, and said about that, I don't know if I wasnt paying attention to tailgating when I was playing or whether you have taken it to another level.

I'm glad I had the opportunity to see him play. He was a great player on and off the field, and what a great guy to represent NDSU! I hope those too young to have seen him play will greet him tomorrow as if they had seen him play.

imabison
10-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Congrats again to Mike. Hey road, ya think anybody filmed Mike's speech? Would like to hear it, and would be nice to share it with all of BV!!

I was there heard it and wondered myself if someone was recording it. Great Speech. Hey Road, is it a requirement that the recipient of your scholarship be taller than you? :) :)

Thank you for all that you do for Bison Athletics!!!

Thunder_Struck
10-28-2011, 05:55 PM
Mike Favor never played the game.......he dominated the game!

Bison Dan
10-28-2011, 05:59 PM
You're right on - I can remember many times Mike leading the running back (qb too) into the endzone. I always thought it was funny that the center would first into the endzone ahead of the ball carrier but he was. A lot of db's didn't even try when he was leading....

roadwarrior
10-28-2011, 06:02 PM
Hey Road, is it a requirement that the recipient of your scholarship be taller than you? :) :)

This was the first time.

CaBisonFan
10-28-2011, 06:06 PM
Congratulations to Mike...one of the truly great players that we've had. Double-click to see larger image.

CAS4127
10-28-2011, 06:08 PM
For those that don't recall, we had some big, bruising O-linemen in 88!!
http://www.bisonville.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1040&d=1319825068

CaBisonFan
10-28-2011, 06:25 PM

I definitely recall. And this line would have been better than 'just fine' right now...lol It was a machine.

Red Gun Z Slant
10-28-2011, 10:43 PM
Gene Taylor became extremely emotional while introducing "Spank". He had never watched him play, or knew him personally. However, he epitomizes, "Once a Bison, ALWAYS a Bison". Coach Bohl eluded he was going to have Spank address the team prior to kickoff. I would love to be in the locker room for that. The guy wanted a piece of Charles Haley, who made the mistake of dissing NDSU at the Hall of Fame Induction weekend I put my money on 57.

westriver bison
10-28-2011, 10:53 PM
http://www.bisonville.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1040&d=1319825068

Those guys defined hogs, rams, or whatever the o-lineis called now.

TheBisonator
10-28-2011, 11:11 PM
Spank was (and still is) the best. He's the guy who turned my head in the direction of NDSU Bison football back when I was a young pup. All of the early things about this program that I learned early on, I learned from him. He was the asst. principal of my HS when I graduated in 2001. Gave me a HUGE bear hug after the graduation ceremony in that 110-degreee June heat gymnasium. One of the more important people in my personal life, Mike Favor was.

The NDSU coaching tradition at St. Louis Park HS in the early 2000's (Andy Ewald, Assistants like Tyrone Braxton, Mike Williams, Rocky's son Josh) was started with Mike coming to SLP.

CAS4127
10-28-2011, 11:21 PM

Look at the pic closely. Does it look like we r about to pass or does it look like Mike and his O-line buddies r about to t-off on whoever was in their way. U wanna see guys blockin waaaay down field, watch some of those 88 games. God that was fun!!

Cool story btw, Nator!!!!

SamsRams
10-28-2011, 11:39 PM

It's been Rams for a long time and always will be.

56BISON73
10-29-2011, 03:11 AM
Look at the pic closely. Does it look like we r about to pass or does it look like Mike and his O-line buddies r about to t-off on whoever was in their way. U wanna see guys blockin waaaay down field, watch some of those 88 games. God that was fun!!

Cool story btw, Nator!!!!

My guess is they are going to tee off on someone. Alot of weight forward in those stances.

Hammerhead
10-29-2011, 03:44 AM
I recall the Bison o-line in the late 80s being almost as heavy as those on Division I teams and not too much lighter than a typical NFL line.

56BISON73
10-29-2011, 03:52 AM
I recall the Bison o-line in the late 80s being almost as heavy as those on Division I teams and not too much lighter than a typical NFL line.

That line looks big.