PDA

View Full Version : Keys of VICTORY

Comfortably Numb Bison
10-26-2011, 11:49 PM
So last night I couldn't sleep so I surfed the web. Came across this very little know web site called WWW.panthernation.com. These fellows seem to think our offense line will get destroyed again this year. Apparently some guy named Boothby is the second coming of Reggie White (not an actual comment just what I interpreted). UNI did tear our line apart last year, but IMO this won't happen again. How do we keep these guys out of the backfield and gain more then -40 yards rushing? This will be the key to victory.

CaBisonFan
10-27-2011, 12:05 AM
So last night I couldn't sleep so I surfed the web. Came across this very little know web site called WWW.panthernation.com (http://WWW.panthernation.com). These fellows seem to think our offense line will get destroyed again this year. Apparently some guy named Boothby is the second coming of Reggie White (not an actual comment just what I interpreted). UNI did tear our line apart last year, but IMO this won't happen again. How do we keep these guys out of the backfield and gain more then -40 yards rushing? This will be the key to victory.

Buzzby might be a great player. We have some very capable offensive linemen. If they're not completely in our playbook, it will help the offensive line.

BisoninNWMN
10-27-2011, 12:05 AM
Wear them down with sustained drives. Mix in short quick passes and maybe run off-tackle more this week. UNI can be passed on so hopefully Vigen exploits this. Screen passes should work against them and us the TEs more. If we cannot sustain drives and our defense is out on the field a lot then we could be in for a long afternoon.

UNI is going to be tough to beat. Rennie can run and have improved his passing. Maybe we can "rattle" his cage and make him make mistakes.

DjKyRo
10-27-2011, 12:10 AM
UNI has only allowed 10.0 sacks all season, averaging out to just over one per game. Whether that's a testament to a skilled offensive line or Rennie's ability to evade defenders I don't know, but our d-line is in for a challenge for sure. We have to contain Rennie and make them try to use other players. I'm still keeping a sharp eye on Carlos Anderson, he had like 150 yards on us last season.

BISONBRI53
10-27-2011, 03:53 PM
Switch it up this game. Last 2 games we have started out with a pass. 1st play right up the gut. Bust one for big yards and set the tone for the game. Running off tackle does not seem like it is working this year unless it is a power play where we are pulling the gaurd and getting outside. I think if AR is at center and is in his moody self and keeps it together he can keep Buzzybee contained. I think after last years mess our line has something to prove this year and will come out swingin!

bisonsupporter
10-27-2011, 03:58 PM
We will need to establish the run. TOP will be huge in this game.

stevdock
10-27-2011, 04:50 PM
I personally think the teams are so evenly matched that it will come down to turnovers and special teams. Whoever is even +1 Turnovers is going to win and I think there is going to be a huge play on special teams that could very well decide the game one way or the other.

SDbison
10-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Kick the Pansies ass! Win by at least two scores!

CaBisonFan
10-27-2011, 05:01 PM
Colton, Marcus, Ryan, Matt, & Warren

A big play by Marcus would be huge. Colton has to be Colton. No need to explain that. One or two passes over the top to Warren or Ryan would do wonders. But controlling the ball with short passes to Ryan & Warren has been a key to our latest wins. Veldman needs to have 2 or 3 catches.

CaBisonFan
10-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Kick the Pansies ass! Win by at least two scores!

I agree SD. This is one of those teams that playing a close game with isn't necessarily a good thing. We really need to grind them down and then thrash them. Make a statement for now and the future.

CAS4127
10-27-2011, 05:06 PM
Field position will be a huge factor. Also, we need our D-line and LB's to step up against the run and stay strong after initial contact rather than softening up. Hopefully our D-backs can manage the pass coverage to the point where our LB's can blitz some and or put a spy on their QB--he and their RB scare me, especially given our weak run D between the hashes.

Also, we simply can not afford to get off to our now all too familiar slow starts, whether on O or D.

Lastly, O-line really needs to step up, DJ and Sam need to hit the holes, and Brock better be given chance to run a bit as well.

Did I miss anything?

bisonsupporter
10-27-2011, 05:10 PM
Field position will be a huge factor. Also, we need our D-line and LB's to step up against the run and stay strong after initial contact rather than softening up. Hopefully our D-backs can manage the pass coverage to the point where our LB's can blitz some and or put a spy on their QB--he and their RB scare me, especially given our weak run D between the hashes.

Also, we simply can not afford to get off to our now all too familiar slow starts, whether on O or D.

Lastly, O-line really needs to step up, DJ and Sam need to hit the holes, and Brock better be given chance to run a bit as well.

Did I miss anything?

No errors in the Special Teams category!

CAS4127
10-27-2011, 05:20 PM
No errors in the Special Teams category!

Agreed. I'll be holding my breath on every extra point (assuming we have some tries :hide:) and field goals.

In the did you know category, UNI's QB has more rushing yards than DJ or Sam.

semobison
10-27-2011, 05:31 PM
UNI is leading the conference at +13 in turnover margin! We are right behind at +11! If we can force a turnover or two without having any ourselves, I like our chances! Now if it goes the other way...not so much!

99Bison
10-27-2011, 05:39 PM
- Play a pretty clean game (ie. the obvious... minimal penalties, turnovers, completely blown assignments, wrap up tackling, etc)
- Come out strong and amp'd up from the get go for once (when was the last time this happened 2002?)
- Make the big plays when the opportunity presents itself
- Handle adversity well

TransAmBison
10-27-2011, 05:44 PM
I'm really nervous about personal fouls. UNI is chippy and I'm worried about NDSU responding...and getting flagged.

CAS4127
10-27-2011, 05:47 PM
I'm really nervous about personal fouls. UNI is chippy and I'm worried about NDSU responding...and getting flagged.

Agreed. Bohl and the seniors had better have the team under control, along with themselves. I am sure the officials are aware of the possibility of PF's, and hopefully won't just flag the responder if there is one.

jimmyptubas
10-27-2011, 05:47 PM

Yes, something like what happened in the ISU-red game will not bode well for us. Despite who "started it" the bison have to keep their cool. I've never played football and never been in the heat of battle and some people say that keeping a cool head is easier said that done.

tolnabison
10-27-2011, 05:50 PM
Just got a feeling DJ is going to have a big game. Big time players, make big time plays, in big games or something like that.

I watched the whole UNI-SDSU game, and I also watched the UNI-Indiana State Game, I do think they can be ran on. Their LB's are athletic and fast, but a bit undersized. Its one of those teams we need to run North and South on, and let our big O-Line get a hat on them, instead of trying to block them in space. I know its been a struggle on and off for us to get a consistent running game. But I feel that this week will be our first true test, a definite playoff team, in a game that should be played in a playoff atmosphere.

The team is going to come out and do its part, but us as fans have to do ours. Meaning get crazy during tailgatting. Inside the dome, we have to take it to another level. Yes we can brag about sell outs, but that don't mean nothing if that crowd doesn't bring it inside.

jimmyptubas
10-27-2011, 05:53 PM
Agreed. I've heard it said before but last years 14,000 + at playoff game against Robert Morris was more intense than the crowd vs. ISU-Blue. That crowd was 16,000 at least i'd say.

Da Bison
10-27-2011, 06:23 PM

Does anyone else remember the play last year when we had a second and short (1 or 2 yards), Boothby absolutely unloaded on Austin Richard before Jose was even calling out signals, laid him out. He turned to his teammates and laughed while thumping his chest. They got a 5 yard penalty for off sides. In my mind that was pre-planned. That is how Farley coaches these guys.

CAS4127
10-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Does anyone else remember the play when we had a second and short (1 or 2 yards), Bothby absolutely unloaded on Austin Richard before Jose was even calling out signals, laid him out. He turned to his teammates and laughed while thumping his chest. They got a 5 yard penalty for off sides. In my mind that was pre-planned. That is how Farley coaches these guys.

Should have been a PF for unnecessary roughness. Hope they call it right this year if it happens.

99Bison
10-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Does anyone else remember the play when we had a second and short (1 or 2 yards), Bothby absolutely unloaded on Austin Richard before Jose was even calling out signals, laid him out. He turned to his teammates and laughed while thumping his chest. They got a 5 yard penalty for off sides. In my mind that was pre-planned. That is how Farley coaches these guys.

Yes... really though, how was that not a personal foul...?

tcbison
10-27-2011, 07:33 PM
UNI's QB hasn't thrown a pick, but their RBs do put the ball on the turf. In the SDSU game their freshman RB fumbled the ball and I didn't think it was that great of a hit. NDSU needs to have a opportunistic defense and force UNI to throw the ball. I know Rennie has been good this year but I would rather them beat us in the passing game than the running game. Plus, if UNI is forced to pass I like the chances of getting a sack or having #1 Marcus Williams make a play.

I watched some of the UNI/SDSU game and I wasn't that impressed with UNI's pass defense. Boothby will pressure the QB but I think NDSU can take advantage of the rest of the team. Some of this has already been said but NO STUPID PENALTIES is a key to this game. That penalty that Austin Richard had in the EWU game killed us.

GradBison
10-27-2011, 07:56 PM
UNI's QB hasn't thrown a pick, but their RBs do put the ball on the turf. In the SDSU game their freshman RB fumbled the ball and I didn't think it was that great of a hit. NDSU needs to have a opportunistic defense and force UNI to throw the ball. I know Rennie has been good this year but I would rather them beat us in the passing game than the running game. Plus, if UNI is forced to pass I like the chances of getting a sack or having #1 Marcus Williams make a play.

I watched some of the UNI/SDSU game and I wasn't that impressed with UNI's pass defense. Boothby will pressure the QB but I think NDSU can take advantage of the rest of the team. Some of this has already been said but NO STUPID PENALTIES is a key to this game. That penalty that Austin Richard had in the EWU game killed us.

Great analysis, but I think everybody should stop ripping on Austin, and any other Bison for that matter, you don't know what goes down in the trenches and I believe the nastier our linemen the better.

bisonsupporter
10-27-2011, 08:07 PM
Great analysis, but I think everybody should stop ripping on Austin, and any other Bison for that matter, you don't know what goes down in the trenches and I believe the nastier our linemen the better.

Nastier=good
cheap=bad

CAS4127
10-27-2011, 08:19 PM

No one is ripping Richards, Grad!! Just want to see him and all other Bison maintain mental toughness and control.

The Sports Block
10-27-2011, 08:24 PM
October 26th Sports Lounge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVGva3p7gpI

0:00 - 14:40 Oral Roberts leaving the Summit League for the Southland conference.
14:40 - 21:35 NDSU vs. Northern Iowa football preview
21:35 - 28:10 World Series talk
28:10 - 35:01 An 87 year old man with 229 pounds of cocaine and Vince Young wanting $8,000 in one dollar bills

TransAmBison
10-27-2011, 08:24 PM

0:00 - 14:40 Oral Roberts leaving the Summit League for the Southland conference.
28:10 - 35:01 An 87 year old man with 229 pounds of cocaine and Vince Young wanting $8,000 in one dollar billsGetting the most out of this post, huh? :D

344Johnson
10-27-2011, 08:30 PM
Should have been a PF for unnecessary roughness. Hope they call it right this year if it happens.

That should be an immediate ejection. If the qb isn't in any way, shape, or form, trying to get the ball snapped and you unload on someone who isn't ready, that is putting that individual in danger. A PF for unnecessary roughness should be if I go headhunting on a wide receiver using my helmet. Unloading on a guy who is getting ready for the next play, stupid.

56BISON73
10-27-2011, 09:06 PM
That should be an immediate ejection. If the qb isn't in any way, shape, or form, trying to get the ball snapped and you unload on someone who isn't ready, that is putting that individual in danger. A PF for unnecessary roughness should be if I go headhunting on a wide receiver using my helmet. Unloading on a guy who is getting ready for the next play, stupid.

There is a rule against hitting a defenseless player.

KilldeerBison
10-27-2011, 09:07 PM
I agree, if it is clear that it was intentional (laughing and beating your chest) kick'em out. Otherwise, the officials risk losing control. To retaliate is human nature, next thing you know Bothby goes down with a knee injury, it happens when emotions are high and this stuff isn't stopped right away.

CaBisonFan
10-27-2011, 09:11 PM
Does anyone else remember the play last year when we had a second and short (1 or 2 yards), Boothby absolutely unloaded on Austin Richard before Jose was even calling out signals, laid him out. He turned to his teammates and laughed while thumping his chest. They got a 5 yard penalty for off sides. In my mind that was pre-planned. That is how Farley coaches these guys.

This is why I don't respect their program. The history of this is both short, and long. It's taught.

Trapped in CA
10-27-2011, 11:57 PM

I believe that you are taking about a 1st & 10 near the end of Q2 on the 34 (after an 11 yard pickup). If not, please correct me. But for that play, Jose was under center and Boothby looked to be attempting to jump a count, because Jose was talking. Can't tell if Boothby started "thumping his chest" after he walks out of the frame (about 5 yard/second walk), but it did not happen on camera.

Below is the best screen capture I could get from the archived stream of the actual encroachment.

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff373/Trapped_in_CA/boothby.png

BadlandsBison
10-28-2011, 12:09 AM
I believe that you are taking about a 1st & 10 near the end of Q2 on the 34 (after an 11 yard pickup). If not, please correct me. But for that play, Jose was under center and Boothby looked to be attempting to jump a count, because Jose was talking. Can't tell if Boothby started "thumping his chest" after he walks out of the frame (about 5 yard/second walk), but it did not happen on camera.

Below is the best screen capture I could get from the archived stream of the actual encroachment.

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff373/Trapped_in_CA/boothby.png

Look at all that movement

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
10-28-2011, 01:24 AM

28:10 - 35:01 An 87 year old man with 229 pounds of cocaine and Vince Young wanting $8,000 in one dollar bills

Wayne's World!!! Party Time!!! :biggrin: