PDA

View Full Version : Sam Maresh

KC Bison
10-26-2011, 06:49 PM
http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/132589338.html

Hadn't seen much about Sam for quite a while. Apparently, he's at a Iowa Junior College now and looking to go D1 after this. Apparently alcohol was (or is) an issue. Wondering what the chances are of him coming to NDSU or if we would even want him???

KC Bison
10-26-2011, 07:02 PM
Sorry, I see the same article under "The Watering Hole".

THEsocalledfan
10-26-2011, 07:10 PM
Great story. I had completely forgotten about him and remember how good his brother was for NDSU. Wonder if he has fully recovered from the surgery and is the same player? Seems like the booze is under control, at least I hope.

I would think, considering the academic issues, NDSU might be the right fit for him considering the history, and I suspect his family probably knows and likes Coach Bohl. Bohl would be great for him considering he has bassically zero tolerance for the crap.

HerdBot
10-26-2011, 07:12 PM
http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/132589338.html

Hadn't seen much about Sam for quite a while. Apparently, he's at a Iowa Junior College now and looking to go D1 after this. Apparently alcohol was (or is) an issue. Wondering what the chances are of him coming to NDSU or if we would even want him???

Im sure we would find a spot for him. Great talent. He had a ton on his plate not to mention heart surgery. Would he come here? Since his recruiter is gone, not many connections but his brother was great and has some Bison pride. How has he done in Jr college?

tony
10-26-2011, 07:22 PM
Im sure we would find a spot for him. Great talent. He had a ton on his plate not to mention heart surgery. Would he come here? Since his recruiter is gone, not many connections but his brother was great and has some Bison pride. How has he done in Jr college?

Sounds like he's done very well on the field at his JUCO. He could get a BCS school if he can get through 19 credits this semester. No idea if he'd accept an NDSU offer if he got one.

CaBisonFan
10-26-2011, 09:00 PM
He shoulda come here to begin with. But...he has big talent. What positions could he play?

X-Factor
10-26-2011, 11:42 PM
But...he has big talent.
I'm curious how you know this....

What positions could he play? without knowing this?

SamsRams
10-26-2011, 11:48 PM
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.startribune.com%2Fsports%2Fgo. ..132589338.html+%20%2B+bisonville

CaBisonFan
10-26-2011, 11:59 PM
I'm curious how you know this....

without knowing this?

Because of what's been written about him here in the the past. But I forgot his position. Is that ok with you? geez

Portlandbison
10-27-2011, 12:08 AM
Bohl would be great for him considering he has bassically zero tolerance for the crap.

Zero tolerance? I'm pretty sure his brother had at least one alcohol offense (the bush incident). I'm not saying Bohl wouldn't be a good figure, but I'm not sure if he is the disciplinarian you think he is.

HerdBot
10-27-2011, 02:22 AM
Flashback...
http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Sam-Maresh-60908;_ylt=AoIeoJk45wLgfQ8RzvhFJJJDPZB4#latest_new s

I can't believe he picked the Gophers over the likes of Wisconsin, Iowa, Iowa State, Michigan, Michigan State, Kansas State...

He was the #14 ranked inside linebacker in the nation
Four Star Blue Chip player

This would be a dramatic and impactful siging. This is a very realistic posibility. We're not talking about some 2nd rate Big 10 guy... we're talking a potential day draft pick quality guy. Huge with speed and he can play.

ndsubison1
10-27-2011, 02:55 AM
He will for sure go FBS

westnodak93bison
10-27-2011, 04:21 AM
I spoke with a relative of his within the last 6 months and it sure sounds like he wants FBS bad.

DjKyRo
10-27-2011, 04:27 AM
Can't hold it against him to aspire to get a second crack at the kind of opportunity he had at the BCS level, I can't for the life of me figure why he went with Brewster over some of the programs he had offers from.

Nothing against the young Mr. Maresh, but if there's anything the Tyler Westphal (sp?) ordeal showed us is that getting a guy like this is anything but a lock for greatness. Sure be nice to have him nonetheless, though.

ISXBISON
10-27-2011, 04:31 AM
Can't hold it against him to aspire to get a second crack at the kind of opportunity he had at the BCS level, I can't for the life of me figure why he went with Brewster over some of the programs he had offers from.

Nothing against the young Mr. Maresh, but if there's anything the Tyler Westphal (sp?) ordeal showed us is that getting a guy like this is anything but a lock for greatness. Sure be nice to have him nonetheless, though.

Snake Oil....

NDSUFan_Sav
10-27-2011, 05:27 AM

I think you're trying to say we need to get Brewster to NDSU in order to get him...definitely no chance.

DjKyRo
10-27-2011, 05:39 AM
I think you're trying to say we need to get Brewster to NDSU in order to get him...definitely no chance.

Dude. If he could polish the turd that is/was the Gopher football program, imagine the shine he could put on Coach Bohl's head before press conferences with a jar of turtle wax and a velvet towel. There has to be funding for that somewhere.

HerdBot
10-27-2011, 05:59 AM

It's pretty much every kids dream to play for a Big Ten team but he may not get the opportunity.

It's a bigger risk for a BCS team to take a guy with a history of poor grades. Especially if he can't get though the clearinghouse. Throw in major alcohol problems and some iffy character issues and it's not a lock to end up at a BCS school. The article really makes him look bad. It talks about having anger problems and running through bars naked and then it goes on to say he still drinks and he doesn't think he has a problem. That's how some schools may perceive him. Programs have short memories and a "what have you done for me lately?" attitude.

I see him as a kid who had a heart surgery, was young and immature, and drank too much. He goes from a small town and suddenly he's the man on a big ten campus and he didn't know how to handle the pressure. He's obviously been humbled having lost a big opportunity.

There is no chance he is not a good player. He's a stud on a good team already. Maresh was a 4 star recruit. He was the 14th best linebacker in the nation. He's been the leading tackler on one of the best Junior Colleges in the nation.

We have to offer him. What's the worst that happens? He says no? It's not like he has dozens of BCS offers and if he doesn't go BCS, NDSU makes the most sense. His brother went here and liked it and we're close to home. We're already one of the best teams at the FCS level and he would have a shot to go pro and get on the field quicker.

No matter what happens I hope he gets his life together.

DjKyRo
10-27-2011, 06:01 AM
It's pretty much every kids dream to play for a Big Ten team but he may not get the opportunity.

It's a bigger risk for a BCS team to take a guy with a history of poor grades. Especially if he can't get though the clearinghouse. Throw in major alcohol problems and some iffy character issues and it's not a lock to end up at a BCS school. The article really makes him look bad. It talks about having anger problems and running through bars naked and then it goes on to say he still drinks and he doesn't think he has a problem. That's how some schools may perceive him. Programs have short memories and a "what have you done for me lately?" attitude.

I see him as a kid who had a heart surgery, was young and immature, and drank too much. He goes from a small town and suddenly he's the man on a big ten campus and he didn't know how to handle the pressure. He's obviously been humbled having lost a big opportunity.

There is no chance he is not a good player. He's a stud on a good team already. Maresh was a 4 star recruit. He was the 14th best linebacker in the nation. He's been the leading tackler on one of the best Junior Colleges in the nation.

We have to offer him. What's the worst that happens? He says no? It's not like he has dozens of BCS offers and if he doesn't go BCS, NDSU makes the most sense. His brother went here and liked it and we're close to home. We're already one of the best teams at the FCS level and he would have a shot to go pro and get on the field quicker.

No matter what happens I hope he gets his life together.

Oh, I agree entirely and absolutely think the coaches should pursue him regardless of his interest level. You never can guess how quickly a young athlete's preferences can change.

Herd
10-27-2011, 09:44 AM
Flashback...
http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Sam-Maresh-60908;_ylt=AoIeoJk45wLgfQ8RzvhFJJJDPZB4#latest_new s

I can't believe he picked the Gophers over the likes of Wisconsin, Iowa, Iowa State, Michigan, Michigan State, Kansas State...

He was the #14 ranked inside linebacker in the nation
Four Star Blue Chip player

This would be a dramatic and impactful siging. This is a very realistic posibility. We're not talking about some 2nd rate Big 10 guy... we're talking a potential day draft pick quality guy. Huge with speed and he can play.

Every quote i saw from Sam or his dad (during his recruitment) was showing loyalty to his in-state university, Brewster not withstanding. I thought that was rather refreshing for a kid to do, i dont think he should be criticized for that.

THEsocalledfan
10-27-2011, 02:12 PM
Zero tolerance? I'm pretty sure his brother had at least one alcohol offense (the bush incident). I'm not saying Bohl wouldn't be a good figure, but I'm not sure if he is the disciplinarian you think he is.

Disagree on this. That was before the big crack down. Bohl learned his lesson.